Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 12, 2011 9:55 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The piece went to his eye because it wants to be back to original mirror.

Learning more about that female youkai.

She lends her power to Tanuma, and saw what Natsume saw.

She and Tanuma are the one who was not told important things by the important friends.

lol~ Nyanko-sensei is ordering others to help finding them, and while drinking.

And Tanuma's learning how Natsume is experiencing.

Finally the mirror is back. The youkai defeated another youkai easily with that mirror.

That beloved friend of hers looks like Tanuma... is that why she chose him?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 12, 2011 11:13 AM

Nov 2008
It had a nice conclusion but I wonder is she will find her friend?
Sep 12, 2011 11:13 AM
Oct 2009
We didn't know Tanuma was one of the Espadas xD
I'm looking forward to the next ep. Stories about Natsume's past are always good)
Sep 12, 2011 11:49 AM

Jul 2011
Although the animation was not that good at some parts, i did enjoy this episode, Natsume Yuujinchou always makes my mondays a little bit better
Sep 12, 2011 12:04 PM

Sep 2008
I liked when Tanuma had the ability to see what Natsume was able to see. =[
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2011 1:21 PM

Oct 2010
HawthorneKitty said:
I liked when Tanuma had the ability to see what Natsume was able to see. =[
THAT.
I would've liked it if Tanuma were to see these things more often ^^
Ahhh, next episode is of his past again ~
I remeber that one -- it's saaaaaaaaaaaaaad ;)
Sep 12, 2011 1:29 PM
Dec 2007
Lovely as always. I so hope we could see Tanuma and Taki along with Natsume in every episode...

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 12, 2011 2:31 PM
Nov 2010
Soooo cheesy! (but I still loved it) :p
Sep 12, 2011 2:35 PM

Jun 2009
Does anyone know what the jazz piece was? about 15:15 - 18:06
Sep 12, 2011 2:41 PM

Jul 2010
:) I love Tanuma. I hope there's also more with Taki though, she's left out alot and I feel bad for her.
Sep 12, 2011 2:57 PM

Aug 2010
I loved it. It was great to see Tanuma with the same hability as Natsume, and I also liked how the youkai told Natsume how their friends feel when they can't see the same things he can.

Oh, and I really like these kind of episodes when we saw Tanuma and Taki a lot (Taki is so sweet).
sweetdropsSep 12, 2011 3:00 PM
Sep 12, 2011 6:19 PM

May 2009
Natsume, Tanuma and Taki are great together. It's really special what they have and it's a enjoy to see their bonds and understanding of one another steadily growing stronger. Nyanko-sensei was pretty cute here too.
Sep 12, 2011 6:53 PM

Oct 2010
Inn said:

I'm looking forward to the next ep. Stories about Natsume's past are always good)

Nyanko: kuri kuri!!!

again, can't wait for next episode. :P
Sep 12, 2011 10:06 PM

Oct 2010
The first part of the episode being the most exciting for me is the shadow fight while Tanuma could see everything that Natsume does. Most amazing about hat fight however is the following,

Tanuma Godzilla roar? Looked like it but it was amazing. I was really impressed by this like fire breathing attack. Totally wiped out the shadow.

In thee end I was really happy with the following,

as the youkai found its lover. Well I am pretty sure he is and pretty hunky too for a guy.

This episode permitted 2 things.
  • For one to have the experience of a youkai's past and story

• For 2 to have been able in strengthening Tanuma/Natsume friendly relations. It did in a splendid way of Tanuma experiencing the views of Natsume and of being possessed by a youkai therefore enriching his experience and knowing more about Natsume's difficulties.
A splendid arc and the the most powerful yet IMO. Anyone else? More later.

BTW Image Stitches in the spoiler
Natsume looks in bad shape with that shadow in one of them.
Yumekichi11Sep 13, 2011 12:30 AM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Sep 13, 2011 10:42 AM

Apr 2009
I love this episode but at the same time, I'm glad the whole "Tanuma Possession Incident" was over. ^^ It would be bad if it got too lengthy.

Anyway, last 2 eps! *cries*

Sep 13, 2011 3:17 PM

Jun 2008
oh myyyy just 2 left maybe he need to make something for him friends to see XD

I mean tanuma envy him a lot maybe jaja he want to see as well as taki poor of them
Life is bittersweet can you live with that?
Sep 13, 2011 8:05 PM

Feb 2008
it might take a long time for him to trust people enough to tell them about it. judging from the OP song you would think he eventually does.
Sep 14, 2011 4:42 AM

Sep 2011
Why so few replies? This is amazing episode!
Sep 14, 2011 7:02 AM

May 2010
That was sweet, she did all this for her friend !!

Sep 14, 2011 10:38 AM

Apr 2010
Tanuma being able to see youkai for ones was interesting he seemed very surprised by what he saw.
Natsume learned another thing about his friends and it seems that Taki has feelings for Natsume, i wonder how those will turn out.
Sep 14, 2011 7:40 PM

Mar 2011
It was cool that Tanuma had the power to see youkai, albeit only for a short while.

I want more Taki!

As always, sensei beasted and found a huge portion of the mirror.
Sep 15, 2011 9:29 AM

Apr 2009
Aversa said:
and it seems that Taki has feelings for Natsume, i wonder how those will turn out.

Errr... yeah,.. I don't think so.
It's a non-romance anime and will probably remain that way til the end. (God, I hope so).

Sep 15, 2011 5:43 PM

Sep 2007
So few people commenting on this wonderful series right? Anyway, great episode as always, that youkai with the hammer was creepy as hell >.< Just two episodes left, oh no...

Sep 16, 2011 3:00 AM
Jul 2011
Leticia said:
So few people commenting on this wonderful series right?

That's because there is not much to discuss about.

You know why I like this series? Because it's unique. It's about friendship, understanding each other, and getting along with each other. Bringing youkai into it adds a spiritual dimension, and makes it even more interesting and imaginative. But the thing I really like about this series is it can get humorous at times, and it will surprise you with little things here and there. And unlike most other series where they mainly focus on boobs and panty shots, this one actually has a story to tell.

But personally, I think this season has been a bit too smooth sailing. I had expected more evil and bad youkai this time round who would hurt them, or the people around them (most youkai are bad, I believe). But all they met were good youkai, or youkai who were more good than evil. It's the same with people, there are good people, and there are some truly evil/bad people in this world. However, the author/writer fail to explore this area. Everything is a tad too goody-goody.
Sep 16, 2011 4:18 AM

Sep 2011
Another enjoyable episode. I definitely love these episodes centered around Natsume, Tanuma, and Taki - well, it was more so centered around Natsume and Tanuma this episode, but the little bit of Taki made quite a difference.
Sep 16, 2011 5:18 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
puppylv said:

But personally, I think this season has been a bit too smooth sailing. I had expected more evil and bad youkai this time round who would hurt them, or the people around them (most youkai are bad, I believe). But all they met were good youkai, or youkai who were more good than evil. It's the same with people, there are good people, and there are some truly evil/bad people in this world. However, the author/writer fail to explore this area. Everything is a tad too goody-goody.

Well, we've seen the exorcist family.

The only pure "evil" youkai are those created by humans or were once human and hold a grudge.

Natural kami are not "evil" nor "good" from traditional Shinto point of view.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 17, 2011 3:15 AM
Jul 2011
wakka9ca said:

The only pure "evil" youkai are those created by humans or were once human and hold a grudge.

But the Matoba clan didn't seem evil to me. They are trying to protect the humans, at least that's what they preach. I think it's because they don't explain their actions that people misunderstood them. For instance, there are many times Natsume accused Matoba Seiji of certain things, but Matoba Seiji just go along with it. Matoba Seiji wasn't the one hunting down youkai and harvesting their blood (it's that human woman out for revenge), but he just let Natsume assume it was him.

Kami and youkai are different, right? Kami are higher up, sacred and revered. Youkai on the other hand don't conduct themselves well, and people are afraid of them. I don't know, that is how I feel. Folklore is pretty much dead in this day and age.
Sep 17, 2011 7:15 AM

Oct 2010
need... to watch... more... natsume... ~_____~
Sep 17, 2011 8:09 AM

Sep 2010
Great leadership qualities, Nyanko-sensei! XD
Sep 22, 2011 7:56 AM

Jul 2010
Nice episode, I liked the ending a lot but too bad we don't know if she'll find him... and I guess she liked Tanuma cauz he looks like her friend? :)

Next episode seems interesting :D
Sep 25, 2011 12:49 PM

Feb 2009
Good experience for Tanuma, feels like he got closer to Natsume now.
Sep 26, 2011 9:52 AM

Jun 2009
Seriously, what amazing leadership qualities you’ve got and temper, yes, Nyanko-sensei. In less time than Natsume, Taki and Tanuma, he made the youkai look for the almost-round mirror! But yeah, angry-face always helps.

Tanuma was able to see, if only for a while, Natsume’s “world” and so comprehend what the boy goes through every day. It’d be nice if there was a way get the ability permanently – other than Taki’s use of the magic circle.

I wonder if the youkai was able to find her friend. I really hope so.

Two episodes left!
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Sep 27, 2011 8:51 AM

May 2010
Good conclusion for the arc.

As usual , character developments are awesome. Nyanko-sensei is always amusing.
Sep 29, 2011 10:05 AM

May 2008
I'm laaaaaate-

This episode was so-so...
I hope they put some effort into the next episode, I really really loved that chapter- =u=
Sep 29, 2011 9:51 PM

Jan 2010
TowardsTheStars said:

As always, sensei beasted and found a huge portion of the mirror.

More like bullied a bunch of minor yokai to go gather all the mirror shards for him. XD But Nyanko definitely was smart to enlist help--many hands make light work after all, especially when they're other people's hands. =P

Edit:
Also: My full thoughts on this two-parter are here on my blog.
Cho_DesuSep 30, 2011 1:47 PM
Dec 5, 2011 7:19 PM

Dec 2009
It was nice that Tanuma was able to see youkais for a while (: nice episode.
Jan 25, 2012 11:28 PM

Jan 2011
puppylv said:
wakka9ca said:

But the Matoba clan didn't seem evil to me. They are trying to protect the humans, at least that's what they preach. I think it's because they don't explain their actions that people misunderstood them. For instance, there are many times Natsume accused Matoba Seiji of certain things, but Matoba Seiji just go along with it. Matoba Seiji wasn't the one hunting down youkai and harvesting their blood (it's that human woman out for revenge), but he just let Natsume assume it was him.

Kami and youkai are different, right? Kami are higher up, sacred and revered. Youkai on the other hand don't conduct themselves well, and people are afraid of them. I don't know, that is how I feel. Folklore is pretty much dead in this day and age.

Not having read a great deal regarding Shinto, but possessing some knowledge of the equivalent European spirits and genius loci I'll make a couple of comments:

Humans tend to react to the unseen world in two ways--fear or denial. I'm sure many people fear the Youkai in the same way that fairies have historically been feared. On the other hand, it is entirely possible to be on good terms with them (like Natsume) and have a mutually beneficial relationship as long as humans remember that they are very different beings and follow different rules. As for "good" and "evil", generally good has been defined as "helping humans to do whatever they want to with the natural world with no concern for the ultimate consequences" while evil is defined as "interfering with human activities and purposes".

Some humans attempt to gain power by coercing or controlling beings from the unseen world (or other planes). This usually does not end well. The Matoba clan appear to members of this group.

In many societies the view of the world and our place in it has become increasingly mechanistic. We think of ourselves as controllers of the world, with the power to ignore traditional knowledge (particularly as it deals with the spiritual aspects of nature). This too will not end well.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jan 28, 2012 5:58 PM

Aug 2008
It feels like i'm seeing a lot of Tanuma for the last few episodes. Sigh a pity I'm just not that interested in him as a character.
Sep 3, 2012 4:05 AM

Dec 2010
Nice conclusion indeed, but it's not the only good thing about this episode - I liked it very much as a whole. The bond between Natsume, Taki and Tanuma is getting stronger&better and it made me love this anime even more ^__^

To be honest I was surprised to see that this anime is #29. It's really good one, and the third season is by far the best one imo(tho S2 deserves it's rank too), but still I didn't think that the MAL community would score such an anime so high.
Jan 6, 2013 8:37 PM

Nov 2011
Apr 6, 2013 4:01 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Natsume really wants to protect his friends but of course, what he doesn't realize is that Tanuma (and others) also want to understand Natsume and care for him as well. Tanuma definitely came to understand more about what Natsume has to go through everyday, being able to see youkai, whether scary ones, or ones that are weak :) That was definitely a nice arc since I get to see all three of my favorite human characters together! And lol at Taki's talisman for Tanuma! It definitely was creepy.
Oct 18, 2013 12:51 PM

Aug 2012
oh, so that's the reason Taki blushed, she made a cute talisman for Natsume and a rather creepy talisman for Tanuma lol. It was fun

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Dec 22, 2013 9:07 PM

Jun 2012
Great ending. Love the series!

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Dec 29, 2013 6:23 PM

May 2012
A pretty nice episode, quite enjoyed the ending!
Jan 28, 2014 5:01 AM

Jan 2013
Funny Nyanko-Sensei haha!
Feb 2, 2014 7:35 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
The Tanuma Incident ends, and he sees what Natsume sees. I'd say Tanuma got an appetizer day in Natsume shoes.

Taki kawaii

and Tanume used Hyper Beam lol

Feb 14, 2014 10:29 PM

Aug 2013
Nyanko-sensei showed them how to get things done haha.

Tanuma was able to see youkai if only for a bit. At least now he has gained a greater understanding of the world only Natsume sees.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 12, 2015 5:21 AM

Apr 2014
haha easy for Nyanko-Sensei.. love his comedy in the series
Jun 14, 2016 6:36 AM

Nov 2011
Again, there was a melancholy greeting between Natsume and another Youkai. Pleasant and entertaining as usual, the audience of characters that include the secrets of Natsume, widens again, who knows if the other characters come too soon; I'm curious.
Oct 31, 2016 4:37 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
ClementIV said:
It had a nice conclusion but I wonder is she will find her friend?

I like to think she did, the short scene with her at the end points to it too.

But really there is much to comment on most natsume episodes, I mean it is very relaxing and pleasant most of the times, saying that about every episode kinda gets old.

This female youkai had a cool design, different from most we have seen thus far.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Jul 25, 2011

200 by AndoRa27 »»
May 2, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 4, 2011

152 by APolygons2 »»
Apr 23, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 22, 2011

81 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 5, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 19, 2011

114 by Pockycrusader »»
Sep 27, 2023 5:47 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2011

81 by dio9_by »»
Sep 24, 2023 2:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.