Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 8, 2014 9:16 AM

Jan 2013
Magnificent.
What a final episode.
The way the characters developed in a mere 12 episodes, simply astounding.
And the OST is a fuckin gem.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jan 4, 2015 7:39 AM

Sep 2012
love everything about this. music, animation and characters, the whole mood of the show is fantastic. i want more :( 10/10
sorashikaJan 4, 2015 8:24 AM
私の力はあなたの理解を超えています
Jan 9, 2015 11:25 PM

Mar 2012
Quite an interesting watch. For a random show i found out about, it was pretty good.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Feb 7, 2015 6:57 PM

Apr 2014
Loved how it ended. The story began with Yaichi saving Masa, and it ended with Masa saving Yaichi. Very nice touch.

Quite a good story- well integrated and well executed in twelve episodes. I'm still lost on how Yagi comes into play in the main conflict. He knew that Yaichi was really Sei but he didn't contribute much to anything in the plot when he had a drink with Yaichi. Or at least, that's how I perceived it. I had really thought Yagi was the one who killed the real Yaichi or some thing, but I guess not. It's still unclear as to how the real Yaichi died and whether or not it was really accidental as well.
Nevertheless, the series was wrapped up nicely with the exception of these details.
Oct 13, 2015 7:18 PM

Dec 2012
That was incredible. This...this is how you build characters. Yaichi (or rather Sei) took on his servant's name and started reliving what he believed the real Yaichi had done to him through his various kidnappings. He was essentially building an entire persona around what he thought was Yaichi's betrayal towards him. But to learn that Yaichi had nothing to do with the plot just completely shattered that and made it all meaningless. I like what that man said, however. If he hadn't have lied, Sei would have gone home and been killed along with Yaichi. It's ironic how Sei was then able to live on by clinging onto a lie. It was really touching to see him finally break down at Yaichi's grave, and to have Masa there as his moral support.

I really liked Yagi. In the end, he just wanted to confirm the whereabouts of Sei and see that he had indeed grown up. He was suspicious of the Saegusa family and I feel that he was able to get closure by having that drink with Yaichi.

Saraiya Goyou. Truth is, I didn't even know this existed until last night. I sort of stumbled onto it accidentally and thought "another one to add to my backlog." But something about it immediately grabbed my interests. It had a commanding aura about it and sure enough, within minutes of starting, I was completely consumed by the suffocating atmosphere it possessed. This episode in particular had a very profound melancholy to it with the gentle yet lonely snowy night.

I called it early on, but I found it really fascinating how this was both slow yet addicting. Normally I'd want to digest something of this nature at 1-2 episodes per day, but I could not stop watching as each episode left me feeling incomplete and desperately enticed for the next. This series was very artsy, reminding me of Mushishi and yet compelling me to watch without reserve.

The character building was definitely the strongest point, and I appreciate how the narrative did far more showing than telling. The way that the flashbacks pieced together and slowly unwrapped the lingering mystery of these characters and the Five Leaves' existence was part of the reason I was glued to this. Yaichi and Masa's dynamics were, without a doubt, the best part of the show. Seeing Yaichi slowly lose his cool, composed edge at the hands of Masa, whose wit and perception was sharpening in the presence of the Five Leaves, was very organic and felt naturally woven together. Masa transforms a great deal and yet it's barely noticeable because of the subtleties and intricate transitions.

The cast as a whole was filled with likable characters who were easy to get attached to. It reminds me of Ristorante Paradiso a bit (same creator), as the characters are very maturely handled and their older age opens the doors to far more life experience and characterization.

9/10, it's a shame anime of this motif is harder to come by.
Nov 27, 2015 3:23 PM

Aug 2014
I love the parallel between the ending and the start. They have come a full circle. (i hoped they would be canon so to speak ahh)

still, the ending was great.
Jan 18, 2016 5:07 AM

Apr 2013
Solid show, but I had bigger expectations going in.
Jan 20, 2016 7:01 PM

Dec 2013
Seeing Yaichi crying was really heartbreaking. There are a lot of things happened to him. Nice ending and the last part where Yaichi was sitting in the temple and Masa gave him the dumpling like in the first episode was really nice.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Feb 12, 2016 9:12 PM

Jul 2013
Great show and there's little to complain about but i'm not really satisfied with the ending because Yaichi murdered that guy and got just scot free.

I was also kinda disappointed that the gang boss had to come out and say that he tricked him because it and the reason behind it were on the subtext but i guess he had to spell it out for Yaichi.
Mar 4, 2016 1:30 PM
Jul 2014
I wish there're more Anime like this. I enjoyed every minute of it! In my opinion, should have better score as it has (under 8!)! For me one of best I've seen! Easily 10/10
Jun 2, 2016 2:12 PM
Apr 2016
Does anybody know what's the name of the song at the very end of the episode??
Jul 6, 2016 3:15 AM
Sep 2014
I don't know the name but you can have a look there : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MByPy4ZMnNM

Does anyone know anime like house of five leaves ? In the same ambiance etc, anime like mushishi or the kenshin oav : tsuioku hen pls ?
Jul 28, 2016 5:10 AM

Jan 2015
natoxi said:
I don't know the name but you can have a look there : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MByPy4ZMnNM

Does anyone know anime like house of five leaves ? In the same ambiance etc, anime like mushishi or the kenshin oav : tsuioku hen pls ?

I don't know if this will do, but you can try Shouwa Rakugo or Ping Pong.
Jul 28, 2016 6:35 AM
Sep 2014
kaje said:
I don't know if this will do, but you can try Shouwa Rakugo or Ping Pong.

Thanks i will watch that !
Aug 10, 2016 8:05 PM

Sep 2011
It was an excellent story with great pacing, but I can't say I was satisfied with that ending.
Sep 16, 2016 1:28 AM

Oct 2015
Yaichi's mysterious story was not that impressive but the series was very good. Also the Yaichi's fight with guy was boring. 8/10 for suspense.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 18, 2016 12:24 AM

Mar 2012
Welp, it was a decent anime but nothing amazing. We never even got a reason as to why Yaichi killed the other two guys nor why he sold out his gang. So either the anime left out the reason, it was covered in the manga after the events that the anime adaptation covered or the author just never bothered giving a reason. It would've been better if it was because at one point he found out that they lied to him about the real Yaichi but the dude had no clue until now.

As for Yaichi himself, the character just wasn't that interesting to me. Felt more like a fan service "bad boy" type of character with a tragic past who deep down is actually a nice guy. Hell, Masa was a more interesting character and that guy's a mess.
Dec 18, 2016 1:56 AM
Mar 2012
Very few fights for a samurai show, but detail animation was very good, and instead focused on sol edo samurai on character backstories & personalities.
At first those black eyes felt scary then got used to it, has a kind of old school charm.
I liked the gathering of oddballs, gradual reveal of mysteries surrounding Yaichi (Sei) from Masa's pov, and how everyone's related.
Sides Matsu & Ume had some nice backstories that added gang dynamics.
Yaichi's Five Leaves was his selfish twisted need to "recycle history" under a guise of robinhood, and reaching that last kidnapping, guess he hoped for some kind of catharsis/resolution of his own problems, but it was all empty, hence all he sees is "darkness".
Yaichi's dead attendant was important in forming his personality, or mistrust of people, which mirrors Masa as his current guard. It's only after Scarface's reveal that Yaichi realized his attendant was still a true friend, the world didn't foresake him & lol pretty much his life-was-a-lie. Then he was able to visit the grave, and Masa reminding that friendship was a nice end.

Osts were very fitting & I had to hear the OP every time.
Jan 8, 2017 12:33 PM

Mar 2016
I kinda wanted these characters to die, but they didn't. Oh well. Excellent storytelling wasted.
Mar 16, 2017 4:39 AM
Jul 2016
As someone who's read the manga, the final episode was a bit of a bummer. They've followed the manga pretty well for the first 9 or 10 episodes but it felt like the ending was a bit rushed. They left out some important scenes and characters (Ginta and Bun!), and yes, Masa actually has a good fight near the end.
I'd recommend reading the manga if you want to see more of Masa and Yaichi's character development, as well as a way better ending. It left me in tears!
Apr 13, 2017 4:09 PM

May 2010
I must say Yaichi was probably my least favorite character in the whole cast along with Masa. I really liked the episodes which focused on Ume and Matsu. And Sachi. And oh ye, Otake is my fav and yet she didn't get a single episode of her own. Sad. Still, even tho Yaichi and Masa were my least fav, I still liked their moments. Esp. the ones as five leaves. I must say, I expected a bit more. A tiny bit more.

But ye this was pretty great. 8.5/10. The animation, backgrounds and artstyle was amazing. The direction was great. The BGM was rlly good, too. Oh and good believable characters.
Nov 10, 2017 8:55 AM
Jun 2012
I feel cheated. This show is so perfect when I look at it in detached way (soundtrack -- great and fitting, telling story with little words, setting the mood...), but when it comes to enjoyment, it was painful to watch and borderline boring. A bit like being presented with a masterpiece cake when you hunger for meat. It's amazing, but... ah... I wish I could enjoy it as much as it deserves.
Apr 26, 2018 9:25 AM

Feb 2017
The show ended up lacklustre for me. Couldn't accept the art style for what it is, and the events are overall not very interesting. I will say that the characters and their actions in the past were deftly interwoven, but that doesn't help much when they amount to very little.
Jan 1, 2019 1:34 AM

Aug 2015
Very satisfying to have all the ends tied up, mysteries solved, and to have character relations mirrored from the beginning. Touching and bittersweet.
May 20, 2019 2:27 AM

Mar 2008
Trequartista said:
Magnificent.
What a final episode.
The way the characters developed in a mere 12 episodes, simply astounding.
And the OST is a fuckin gem.

ALL OF THIS
Can't stress enough how much I adored the background music throughout the series.
Jun 5, 2019 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
I read the manga then watched the anime right after each other so it did bother me with how much they changed at the end, but overall it doesn't change the story much as a whole. Both endings are beautiful in their own way. Though what the anime had that the manga didn't was the scene between Yaichi and Masa with the dango showing how they have swapped places from the beginning of the story. Also, Yaichi leaning on Masa, finally being able to grieve for his friend was really beautiful. I loved this series very much.
Jul 16, 2019 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
well that very nice finale to wrap up the show. Kind of frustrated for me some of the developments I couldn't follow through and will give the manga chance still it was great refreshing show overall! Some of the moments (and coincidentally few OSTs as well) really tells it was written by same author of "Ristorante Paradiso" but this one has more substance/ unique premise. The character development was solid throughout. The pacing was surprisingly fine and 12 episode finished before I realised..

Also now I really miss Manglobe studio especially how high quality episodes they could release even compare to recent shows :( Indeed they were 10 year ahead!
removed-userJul 16, 2019 8:51 PM
Aug 25, 2020 8:18 PM

Jan 2014
this anime is so underrated!! the twist about yaichi not having betrayed him is so sad T.T my heart, that ending with the dango was perfect. also they never said it explicitly but i kinda assumed that yaichi/sei killed the old yaichi? but maybe it was like yagi dono said and the family killed him to cover it up :/ either way yaichi's grief was so hard to watch

everything was sooo good about this anime, the art style, the OST, the fckin character development in just 12 episodes. if I had to nitpick, i'd say the characters can be hard to tell apart and it can be easy to zone out (only happened like twice and i was probably just tired tho lol). other than that though.... there was so much attention to detail, so much symbolism. i think i have to give it a 10/10 :)
laputiaAug 25, 2020 8:34 PM
Nov 11, 2020 7:30 PM

Aug 2014
This was an okay show. I liked the calm relaxing atmosphere it had, the ambient sounds are chill, and the art design of the town is on point to deliver that.
The music is the other good point about the show, it has a nice tune, however it could use some variety.

Other than that everything else was just mediocre, the characters design itself is pretty dull, the story (simple SoL) is there to further develop the characters that i found to be decent.

Overall it was a fine watch i guess, its an anime to watch when you want to relax after a day at work. Nothing impressive though.
Mar 26, 2021 12:32 PM

Feb 2012
A good series. There wasn't anything annoying or particularly wrong with this, but the plot wasn't that exciting either. It felt like the series was more like a character introduction, and just when we got to know the characters a bit, it ended. It was a strange choice, for example, to bring in Masanosuke's sister for a visit, only to have her return to their home town a bit later. Watching the series it felt like the character was introduced so that there might be a plot point later, but in the end she didn't seem to have any purpose. It's not like we got to know anything surprising about Masanosuke through her.

So in the end I'm thinking that it was okay but not phenomenal, and the series could have been better if there was another 12 episodes to do something with the characters now that we know them. It was enjoyable to watch and I would have preferred to see a bit more. Now that the mystery about Yaichi was revealed, there could have been some more Five Leaves activities and perhaps a conflict with Yagi at least.

The art and music were great, I did like the unusual character style.

I had no idea this was by the same author as Ristorante Paradiso, the genre is so different. That one did have a different art style as well, mouths drawn with straight lines. Of these two series, this was superior though.
FeorgMar 26, 2021 12:42 PM
Jun 17, 2021 11:58 AM

Jun 2019
My 68th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Sep 15, 2021 11:43 PM

Sep 2021
wonderful ending to a wonderful show, a nice change of pace from from more typical shows

easily 8/10 leaning towards 9
Oct 1, 2021 4:59 AM

Aug 2017
Pretty good ending. I have a few minor issues like Masa being annoying sometimes or a few episodes being boring but the anime is pretty good overall and I love the ending. 7/10 for the anime.
NurguburuOct 1, 2021 5:07 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 25, 2022 8:21 PM
Nov 2021
Seeing how Yaichi reacted when the actual truth sank in made me feel for him. It's a bitter feeling knowing how tragic a simple lie has changed him, but I'm glad to see that he's finally moving beyond his past.
Apr 13, 2022 7:33 PM

Jul 2016
it's a crime that it ended in 12 episodes. what i said earlier,
Cazqui-09 said:
goddamnit. knew there was a chance yaichi would betray him... supposedly.
with the "supposedly" turned out to be true and he really didn't actually betray him... unfortunately, the studio fit what they could within a short timeframe. because of this, the execution started getting choppy and the outcome uncertain at the end. as if you could stuff straw inbetween every scene. definitely made me want to go read the manga though, haven't picked it up in years since i came across it (only til vol. 3) but i really liked it just as much as the anime so i'll go do that. 10/10
Sep 8, 2022 1:03 AM

Apr 2020
Great watch and good development for just 12 episodes.
Yaichi was a great MC and the OP and EN are bops. 8/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Dec 15, 2022 1:00 PM

May 2018
So, an alternate ending.
As I see by the anime airing and manga publishing dates, damn, they couldn't wait for just a mere month for manga to end.
But still, the ending is harmonic and charming.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 5 Discussion

Dunky - May 13, 2010

38 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 4:49 AM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 7 Discussion

plagalcadence - May 27, 2010

32 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
May 20, 2023 1:18 PM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

bbobjs - Apr 22, 2010

68 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
May 16, 2023 2:01 PM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

bbobjs - Apr 15, 2010

129 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
May 16, 2023 4:36 AM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 8 Discussion

Dunky - Jun 3, 2010

36 by Flonex »»
Sep 17, 2022 11:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.