Forum Settings
Forums

'Dragon Ball' Creator Akira Toriyama Dies at 68

New
Mar 7, 10:28 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Renowned manga creator Akira Toriyama, best known for his Dragon Ball manga, died on March 1 due to acute subdural hematoma. He was 68. The funeral was held privately by his family.

Born in April 1955 in Nagoya, Toriyama's passion for art began at an early age. After graduating from the Aichi Prefectural Ichinomiya Institute of Technology High School in 1974, he was mostly self-taught as an artist, launching his manga artist career.

Toriyama's breakthrough came with Dr. Slump, his first major manga series, which debuted in 1980. This comedic manga, featuring the misadventures of a quirky inventor and his android creation, showcased Toriyama's distinctive art style and humor, laying the foundation for his later success with Dragon Ball.

In 1984, Toriyama introduced the world to Dragon Ball, a manga series that would go on to become one of the most successful and influential franchises in the history of Japanese pop culture. Set in a fantastical world filled with colorful characters and epic battles, Dragon Ball captured the imagination of audiences around the globe, spawning multiple anime adaptations and becoming a cultural phenomenon.

Toriyama's talents extended beyond manga to character designs for various video games. Notably, he contributed to the Dragon Quest series, Chrono Trigger, and Blue Dragon, helping define the visual identities of these beloved franchises.

Dragon Ball Daima, the latest installment in the Dragon Ball series, is scheduled for a Fall 2024 premiere, with Toriyama credited for the original work, story, and character design. Additionally, his manga Sand Land was adapted into an anime movie last August, with an anime series debuting on March 20.

Source: Oricon News, Nikkei

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 7, 10:34 PM

Jan 2009
someone get the dragon balls to revive him

dragon ball will never be the same again

rip legend

degMar 7, 11:46 PM
Mar 7, 10:40 PM

Jul 2021
rip legend you've made my childhood
Mar 7, 10:42 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i could easily be another "OMFG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS, RIP LEGEND" person... but nah... im just once again gonna say how fucking tired i am of hearing about ANOTHER mangaka dying...

i've said before, it was only a matter of time before someone like this left us....

this man was GOATED beyond words... he was like the michael jackson of anime/manga.... and growing up a child in the 90s i dont think i need to explain how impactful DB was....
Mar 7, 10:43 PM

Oct 2013
The legend whose works raised several generations of anime and manga fans throughout the world (with Dr. Slump, Dragon Ball, and many other works), and who also left a huge, positive impact on the gaming industry (by working on Dragon Quest series and Chrono Trigger). Very sad day. No one lives forever and I guess all of us expected that such day had to come eventually... but I didn't expect it to come up that fast. :( Thank you for everything, Toriyama-sensei.
Mar 7, 10:50 PM

Apr 2012
Toriyama and his works have been with me for so long throughout my life that I didn’t even think about how old he was or that he might someday leave our world. It's hard to imagine another anime franchise that has influenced my life for so long and so strongly. Rest in Piece, Toriyama-san!

I heard he was still developing the DB world and we had one more show to premiere at the very least, hopefully his legacy doesn't turn into a zombie franchise being abused by producers without authorial control.

@Adnash Yes, I learned about him and Dragon Ball thanks to one of the Dragon Ball Z Budokai games. Dragon Ball fit the idea of ​​fighting games perfectly. It became one of my favorite games for many years and a source of connection to the franchise before I could even watch the anime itself.

@Vindstot Please add that the series version of Sand Land will include a continuation of the story written by him. https://screenrant.com/sand-land-sequel-akira-toriyama/
RobertBobertMar 7, 10:58 PM
Mar 7, 10:52 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Rest in Peace the legend, and thank you so much for your masterpieces which have been part of my life :(

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 7, 10:56 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to EcchiGodMamster
i could easily be another "OMFG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS, RIP LEGEND" person... but nah... im just once again gonna say how fucking tired i am of hearing about ANOTHER mangaka dying...

i've said before, it was only a matter of time before someone like this left us....

this man was GOATED beyond words... he was like the michael jackson of anime/manga.... and growing up a child in the 90s i dont think i need to explain how impactful DB was....
Yes, that's always to be expected, none of us, even the most talented, last forever. Still, it is incredibly saddening that such a remarkable man lived a short life by the standards of Japanese longevity.....

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama, Mangaka with a capital letter, in fact the father of modern shōnen. What's more, DB will be immortalised not only in the animanga industry, but in world culture as a whole.

OmarumbaMar 7, 11:10 PM
Mar 7, 10:57 PM

Dec 2009
Fuck... No! Damn it... I'm shocked to say the least. Speechless. RIP... Fuck.

... In my lifetime of 29, I don't remember much of who else could affect me like this in celebrity deaths.
Robin Williams comes to mind, and a few other actors, but, Toriyama was a part of my childhood with Dragon Ball.

A classic epic franchise from the anime to the video games that I've experienced till this day since I was a teenager.
I never expected we'd suddenly lose his continued creation from the legend himself... fuck.

I wonder how he got that issue. Sucks they couldn't stop it. Damn it. Wow, this sucks...

... It feels conflicting, but after they adapt whatever is left of the manga, I hope they let it end with somehow an original conclusion.
I don't want anyone else to continue his story. It'll always be fanfic afterwards from now on...
waalex11Mar 7, 11:04 PM
Mar 7, 10:59 PM

Feb 2010
Hey guys April fool isn't till next month knock it off... This isn't funny... This is a joke right? RIGHT??!!

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 7, 11:00 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to RobertBobert
Toriyama and his works have been with me for so long throughout my life that I didn’t even think about how old he was or that he might someday leave our world. It's hard to imagine another anime franchise that has influenced my life for so long and so strongly. Rest in Piece, Toriyama-san!

I heard he was still developing the DB world and we had one more show to premiere at the very least, hopefully his legacy doesn't turn into a zombie franchise being abused by producers without authorial control.

@Adnash Yes, I learned about him and Dragon Ball thanks to one of the Dragon Ball Z Budokai games. Dragon Ball fit the idea of ​​fighting games perfectly. It became one of my favorite games for many years and a source of connection to the franchise before I could even watch the anime itself.

@Vindstot Please add that the series version of Sand Land will include a continuation of the story written by him. https://screenrant.com/sand-land-sequel-akira-toriyama/
RobertBobert said:
Toriyama and his works have been with me for so long throughout my life
Same goes with me. The original Dragon Ball was one of the very first anime I've ever seen, and Dragon Ball franchise is one of a few franchises that still make me excited, whether we're talking about old or new stuff, despite all those years passing by. I will always have very fond memories of Dragon Ball and I will continue to track the whole series. It will be sadder, due to Toriyama-sensei's death, but at the same time, he left us his legacy, in a form of many wonderful works we can check out and be entertained by them.

RobertBobert said:
I heard he was still developing the DB world and we had one more show to premiere at the very least,
Yes, that's true. Focusing only on Dragon Ball, he was greatly involved in the production process of Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero movie, and even more involved in the creation process of the upcoming Dragon Ball Daima.

RobertBobert said:
hopefully his legacy doesn't turn into a zombie franchise being abused by producers without authorial control.
Same. I hope it won't become a mess. Arguably, DBS already is quite messy, but at the same time, it's an enjoyable series to track. Not as good as the legendary and iconic Dragon Ball manga, but not as bad as many claim it to be. While Toyotarou's take is not perfect (in my opinion), I hope he will have the decisive voice in terms of handling the future of Dragon Ball Super.
Mar 7, 11:09 PM

Oct 2018
RIP

I never really watched that much Dragon Ball, but have played quite a few Dragon Quest games and Chrono Trigger.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Mar 7, 11:10 PM
Aug 2022
I can't stop crying... :( This is so sad. His works literally took us on a journey through our childhoods, no matter which country you were in, you knew about Goku and you knew about the Dragon Balls.

Every one of us tried powering up to become a Super Saiyan at some time in our lives; just an example of how his amazing characters left an imprint on our souls.

An absolute LEGEND gone too soon. I can only imagine the plans that he had and the oh so many amazing stories he dreamt of that we will never get to see.

Rest In Peace Akira Toriyama.

You were definitely one of a kind, and an inspiration to us all.

Artwork: Angeles fuimos by DedosDeMantequilla (www.behance.net/Rocio_Lope) on DeviantArt
Mar 7, 11:11 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Adnash
RobertBobert said:
Toriyama and his works have been with me for so long throughout my life
Same goes with me. The original Dragon Ball was one of the very first anime I've ever seen, and Dragon Ball franchise is one of a few franchises that still make me excited, whether we're talking about old or new stuff, despite all those years passing by. I will always have very fond memories of Dragon Ball and I will continue to track the whole series. It will be sadder, due to Toriyama-sensei's death, but at the same time, he left us his legacy, in a form of many wonderful works we can check out and be entertained by them.

RobertBobert said:
I heard he was still developing the DB world and we had one more show to premiere at the very least,
Yes, that's true. Focusing only on Dragon Ball, he was greatly involved in the production process of Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero movie, and even more involved in the creation process of the upcoming Dragon Ball Daima.

RobertBobert said:
hopefully his legacy doesn't turn into a zombie franchise being abused by producers without authorial control.
Same. I hope it won't become a mess. Arguably, DBS already is quite messy, but at the same time, it's an enjoyable series to track. Not as good as the legendary and iconic Dragon Ball manga, but not as bad as many claim it to be. While Toyotarou's take is not perfect (in my opinion), I hope he will have the decisive voice in terms of handling the future of Dragon Ball Super.
@Adnash I've heard that Super was somewhat controversial, but I guess that's to be expected for a sequel to a cult classic after so many years. But I won't get around to it any time soon, I need to watch the original Z and its sequels from the 90s and 00s. Even knowing the story only superficially based on in-game dialogue, I was still able to become quite captivated by the game version of Z. But I never thought that I would watch this after Toriyama's death.

Mar 7, 11:11 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to EcchiGodMamster

@EcchiGodMamster yep anime and manga creators have short lifespan (compared to the japanese average lifespan) due to stress working in the industry

edit:

A Japanese blogger found out that mangakas have a life span that is 20 years shorter than the average Japanese man. (62.6 vs 83 years) https://twitter.com/DB_Kringer2/status/1766919933370257474
degMar 11, 12:12 PM
Mar 7, 11:12 PM
Dec 2014
Rest in peace LEGEND
Mar 7, 11:14 PM
Jun 2021
RIP, 68 is too soon. Will be missed a ton, his influence in the anime industry is undeniable.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Mar 7, 11:17 PM

Oct 2008
I'm really not looking forward to whatever TFS puts out on this.
Mar 7, 11:18 PM

Jun 2014
I didn't want to believe it when I heard the news, but man. This just absolutely blindsided us all. Nowadays 68 isn't all that old either.

This man gave us an iconic series, one that touched millions of people worldwide and defined an entire generation's childhood. Hell, Dragon ball transcends generations, there's not a person out there old or young who hasn't at least heard of Dragon Ball/Goku. A series that heavily influenced and continues to influence pop culture. A series that nearly every action shounen even to this day, took inspiration from in some way, shape, or form. A series that helped make anime more mainstream in the West. What a legacy he leaves behind.

Rest easy, Akira Toriyama. All I hope for is that he knew just how impactful his existence was, that his work influenced and changed the lives of so many. From the authors who were inspired by him who have published their own successful stories, to the kids who watched Dragon Ball on Toonami who would imitate the Kamehameha. You will be missed.
thebrentinator24Mar 7, 11:21 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 7, 11:22 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
What can i say? DBZ was really important for me, one of the first anime i watched, and i can never express how much i like it.
I can only hope that he rest in piece.
RIP legend.
Mar 7, 11:24 PM

Jun 2017
Rest In Peace to one of the GOATs. Without him, our global anime community would be a tiny shadow of it's current self. This is rough. Goodbye, innovator Akira Toriyama!
KYSODT
ALWAYS and FOREVER
infinite.
Mar 7, 11:26 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Reply to deg
@EcchiGodMamster yep anime and manga creators have short lifespan (compared to the japanese average lifespan) due to stress working in the industry

edit:

A Japanese blogger found out that mangakas have a life span that is 20 years shorter than the average Japanese man. (62.6 vs 83 years) https://twitter.com/DB_Kringer2/status/1766919933370257474
@deg

yea seriously... normally its some preventable shit that could be avoided with regular exercise, a decent diet and learning to manage stress, but this industry just doesn't allow that so this shit just KEEPS happening

and losing someone like THIS is just... TOO MUCH...

Mar 7, 11:27 PM

Jun 2007
But who is going to draw Arale with her poop now :(
Mar 7, 11:29 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
man, DBZ is my childhood (i'm sure like many others), some of my fondest earliest memories is going to watch it straight after school, the games, collectibles and just everyone around me at that age was just obsessed with it and just wanted to engage with the series in any which way possible.

there was even one year in particular, when i remember how virtually all the boys in school (across multiple grades) dressed up with the same costume during our holiday when you do that at school and it was ssj 4 goku of all things haha.

RIP sensei, the world won't be the same from now on.
Mar 7, 11:29 PM

Jul 2013
What a terrible day for rain...
Mar 7, 11:36 PM
Sep 2020
Rest in peace Toriyama Sensei, me and my brother loved his series growing up. It sucks so much to lose someone as great as Toriyama sensei
Mar 7, 11:37 PM

Jan 2012
68 is actually not too old yet. Alas, human body can be so fragile.
As a Shounen fan, to say he's had a big impact on my life is an understatement. Not just manga, but also games like Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest.

Rest easy, legend. Your legacy will live forever.
Mar 7, 11:38 PM

May 2020
This is just really really sad. Nothing more.
Mar 7, 11:44 PM

Mar 2019
One of the greatest of all time!
Unfortunately you are gone, but your work will be with us forever, thank you for everything master! 🙏

Mar 7, 11:46 PM
Nov 2019
I know that everyone needs to go someday but only at 68?!! And that's when Japanese are knwon for their long life spans. Damn really sad :'( May his soul rest in peace.

Still remember how the OG Dragonball and Z were part of my childhood. I remember how I used to make arts of Goku and Vegeta with my childhood pals throughout my primary school. And they actually helped me improve and even win some art competitions back then...

Mangakas will come and go but Toriyama's legacy will remain up there with the GOATs.
Mar 7, 11:47 PM
Jul 2020
Losing Akira Toriyama feels like a piece of my childhood slipping away. His creations, Dragon Ball and DBZ, were more than just shows to me; they were portals to adventure, friendship, and epic battles that fueled my imagination. Toriyama's storytelling brilliance and his ability to craft characters who felt like friends made a profound impact on me. His legacy will forever be etched in my memories, and I'll always be grateful for the countless hours of joy and inspiration he brought into my life. Rest in peace, legend.
Mar 8, 12:01 AM

Aug 2012
Rip mr. Toriyama.

I only got into Dragon Ball much later in life, but absolutely loved it. And if you're a fan or not, his impact on the manga and anime industry can't be denied, he's a true legend.
Also always loved his artwork in the Dragon Quest games.

We lost another legendary mangaka and again at such a young age, only 68.

Maybe I'll give Dr. Slump a try sometime soon, never gave it a shot before.
Mar 8, 12:03 AM

Jul 2014
He's walking the snake path to King Kai now.
F
Mar 8, 12:11 AM

Apr 2022
simply grateful what he's done. without him there would be no one piece and countless other shounen, his impact is crazy. and DB was my first ever anime but i've been thinking of reading the DB manga this year and seeing other DB installations this year, so the coincidence of his passing now is wild to me, RIP again legend.
Mar 8, 12:12 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Said_enough
I know that everyone needs to go someday but only at 68?!! And that's when Japanese are knwon for their long life spans. Damn really sad :'( May his soul rest in peace.

Still remember how the OG Dragonball and Z were part of my childhood. I remember how I used to make arts of Goku and Vegeta with my childhood pals throughout my primary school. And they actually helped me improve and even win some art competitions back then...

Mangakas will come and go but Toriyama's legacy will remain up there with the GOATs.
@Said_enough His listed cause of death is mostly associated with head trauma. But I don't think they would have stated it even that way if they wanted to avoid personal details. So since they mentioned it, maybe his death was peaceful. Perhaps something will become known some time later, as was the case with other deceased manga artists. Now they don’t even want any public interviews or events.

@ryzxgum Yeah, I don't remember who said this, but I saw in one article that you couldn't find enough battle shonen tropes that weren't invented or popularized by Dragon Ball.
RobertBobertMar 8, 12:16 AM
Mar 8, 12:12 AM

Sep 2020
No way. This can't be real ...
Mar 8, 12:15 AM
May 2021
Whyyyyyyyyyyyy?! Why?! Why is he gone too soon?! Huh?! I didn’t get a chance to see him in person!
Mar 8, 12:27 AM

Mar 2019
This man shaped my and my brother's childhood, his work was our gateway to the world of anime and manga. The first manga that my brother bought in his life was the first volume of Dragon Ball, and because it was in black and white and different from anything he had seen before, my brother thought it was made for coloring, and with care he painted half of the volume following the correct colors palette for each character and background. We watched the anime frequently without missing a single episode, and we also played DBZ Legends and GT Final Bout a lot on the PS1 with our father. Dragon Ball was present in many fun moments in my life, but what made me really fall in love with Toriyama's works was Dr. Slump, which I only read for the first time in 2011 after winning the first 7 volumes by pure chance and luck, since they were a rarity until then. Toriyama's good humor helped me through many difficult and discouraging moments during my adolescence and I can only thank him.

I'm looking forward to Dragon Ball Daima and the Sand Land series and video game. Farewell, Toriyama.

Mar 8, 12:30 AM

Oct 2017
Rest in peace and thank you for everything.
Mar 8, 12:33 AM

Apr 2023
RIP the king. I never got into db, but what he did for manga/anime as a whole is inconceivably precious. Rest high on those clouds
Mar 8, 12:34 AM

Jan 2021
Woke up to sad news rip legend Akira Toriyama

Mar 8, 12:41 AM
Sep 2023
RIP legend you'll never be forgotten
Mar 8, 12:59 AM
May 2015
This was one hell of a thunderbolt.

Mr Toriyama had a lot of mangaka friends/associates who spoke highly of him, and will miss him greatly.

For myself, I found him to be a fantastic artist with a great sense of fantasy, fun and childlike wonder.

Though Dragon Ball may have grown beyond what he had intended/planned its appeal will always be in the youthful zest of its protagonists: Goku, Bulma, Krillin, Master Roshi, Vegeta, all immortal characters through their determination and drive.

Thank you Mr Toriyama for bringing Dragon Ball to the world and making it a better and more enjoyable place for me, and so many others.

May your soul find its way to peace, or the next adventure.
Mar 8, 1:33 AM
Apr 2020
rest in peace sensei
Mar 8, 1:34 AM

Jul 2008
Oh, man. One of the most influential mangaka ever. The world feels a less vibrant without him. Rest in peace.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Mar 8, 1:40 AM
May 2021
Woke up & cried :(( can’t believe this. A legend that will never be forgotten !!
Mar 8, 1:46 AM

Apr 2009
Way too soon...

Thanks for the memories.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 8, 1:53 AM

Jan 2016
I actually lost for words, This man works is my childhood. Thanks for being part of Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quests, Thanks for creating Dr Slump and Dragon Ball and Thanks for influencing many modern Shonen. Your contribution and Legacy to Manga/Anime industry will never be forgotten

May you have rest in peace.
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Jun 2020
I can't believe it, 😭😭.

Rest in peace legend.🕊️🕊️
2023:
My candies: Main

My candies:
Mar 8, 1:55 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
DBZ is so iconic and loved by many fans; it’s sad to see a legend die. 🙏🏼 May he rest in peace.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Announces Supporting Cast

Nioxys - Apr 28

7 by Sondo »»
23 minutes ago

» '#Compass 2.0: Sentou Setsuri Kaiseki System' Unveils Main Staff, Cast, 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Apr 28

1 by juliayousoro »»
10 hours ago

» New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

Vindstot - Apr 28

36 by drkenma1 »»
Yesterday, 2:16 PM

» Second Season of 'Ao no Orchestra' Announced

Vindstot - Oct 8, 2023

12 by thehornedrat »»
Yesterday, 10:06 AM

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Apr 26

8 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 2:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.