Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2023 10:21 AM

Nov 2011
So much otaku culture and geeks got mixed into this episode/show lol. Our Otaku Hero just loves his robot. 

Wasn't expecting this episode to have swimsuits though. Even this show wants to show fan service with the magical girls. Everyone is so competiive in this show. Blue is like the poster girl for being a masochist lol
Apr 28, 2023 12:16 PM

Jul 2017
After the brief stint with Slayer, Anarchy can't help but worry about their future, which he can't request her for help but Pink to help fix his broken Godeen toy...by injecting her magic into it, which caused it to act weirdly and drop into the Kanda River. Unfortunately, the Mansei Bridge Otaku Commune is another crazed Otaku group made up of old fogies, whch their children are embarrassed by their parents being overly Otaku. They're one and all the same but having trouble relating to one another is not good..and the only way is to see fanservice for a swim meet, because it can do obscene wack shit like these.

Blue is totally obssessed with her fetish, while Yu is the real deal for the Ninja Warrior-like course. Pink is caught cheating by doping in the sumo-like match against Mai, and the classic band-snatching event with Anarchy against the kids while the adults fight over their obsessions and treat it like treasures for fear that they get ostracized, it's unlike the current day where Otaku is a general appeal and not a persecution. They have a point though: adults, especially those in families being Otaku is generally seen as weird, and for Otaku Hero, he has his youth and his team of magical girls to back him up...NOT.

The generational gap problem may be there, but the SSC can come in anytime and sweep them away, which is exactly what they did. Unfortunately, with the adult Otaku still adamant on their beliefs, it only took until Otaku Hero's doped Godeen to show the light, and truly...they're just for show. The treasure trove of artifacts shugged deep into the Kanda River, and thanks to Godeen, the generational gap issue is resolved, only for this, one day.

The only episode that so far, has caught my interest. A good one.
Apr 28, 2023 12:33 PM

Jan 2009
this episode shows the generation gap between old and new otakus eh

but otaku hero wants to make a world where everybody can like what they want to like
Apr 28, 2023 12:48 PM

Mar 2021
Another bonkers episode this time with swimsuits I hope Otaku hero is able to unite all Otaku's under the same banner
Apr 28, 2023 1:20 PM
Apr 2023
After a cliffhanger from the last episode, I expected it to end off with how they are treating the deaths of 2 characters, but this new one completely ruined the theorizing I had with just a regular swim suit episode (still fun I guess), and sexualizing a minor as well? I'm going to give this show one more episode before I drop it.. such a shame
HuelessNekoApr 28, 2023 1:43 PM
Apr 28, 2023 1:54 PM

Nov 2016
We went crazy, especially Blue. Amusing take on the obligatory fanservice episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 28, 2023 2:47 PM

Feb 2019
I am so in love with Blue lol, she’s the best part of this show. Need more of her fanservice. I liked the war between old and new otaku. Episodes like this definitely lend credence to the theory that this is all within the characters’ heads and is really an analogy for self acceptance
Apr 28, 2023 2:51 PM

Sep 2018
First scene had me very excited to continue cause I can't wait to go "This wants to be Prisma Illya so bad" if it's going where I think it's going
Apr 28, 2023 3:59 PM
Apr 2021
HuelessNeko said:
After a cliffhanger from the last episode, I expected it to end off with how they are treating the deaths of 2 characters, but this new one completely ruined the theorizing I had with just a regular swim suit episode (still fun I guess), and sexualizing a minor as well? I'm going to give this show one more episode before I drop it.. such a shame
I doubt there will be death in this anime, I bet there will be a joke about it, and I liked this episode because it is a cliche of a beach episode or cliche of girls in bikinis and that's why it was an episode and also showing this dispute between Classic Otakus and new Otakus who don't even care about important works
Apr 28, 2023 4:53 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Godeen on the loose because Pink Dope, but, alright not expecting the obligatory swimsuit episode even to this show. Here we are with Sugita as a star-guest cast everything still comes true. Even the enemy also matching up with the theme too, very well-planned, Shobo leader!

Too bad a clean Kanda river now lost its water because of the fight. Tho they also need to clean all those tras- i mean, treasure. So i might understand one random meaning behind this episode: no littering the river, you guys!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 28, 2023 5:45 PM
Apr 2023
The episode was hilarious, and I loved Blue's fanservice parts. She's such a funny character, probably the best one out of all of them.
Apr 28, 2023 8:10 PM

Apr 2022
new otakus vs old otakus lmao and the goat sugita tomokazu!! he raised some solid points there. yet another solid episode.
some anarchy and blue fanservice, you love to see it.
pink doping before her match though xD
Apr 29, 2023 1:37 AM

Apr 2022
This anime dont make me upset at all. The Blue fanservice part were so good in my opinion. The animation is a great point too in this episode. Also the OP and ED are the best of the season. A solid episode in general.
Apr 29, 2023 4:33 AM

Mar 2019
Like the previous episode I really liked this one. Show is starting to hit its stride humor-wise. That blue obstacle course scene was ridiculous.
Apr 29, 2023 5:53 AM

Jun 2015
What a treat. Its only eps 4 and we got some skinship and swimsuits eps! This show is really spoiling us!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 29, 2023 7:54 AM
Sep 2021
It was a decent episode, the old otaku's and the present otaku's ideals, sorrow, joy all clashed against one another and the outcome is settled through different activities mainly swimming.
Apr 29, 2023 9:46 AM

Oct 2018
Kind of a sleepy episode, a lot of off-model drawings too. It tried to do what the previous episode did, to create some sort of emotional beat which is nothing more than a bait for comedy, but in both topics, it feels weaker than the last one.

Atleast we got Blue service.
Apr 29, 2023 10:21 AM

Nov 2011
Episode was awesome.

I thought they did a fantastic job depicting the age of the Otaku culture from the 80's and 90's to modern day era.

Plus it's a swimsuit episode with battle robots!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 29, 2023 2:02 PM
Aug 2021
One of the most fun eps so far, I really liked the literal discussion they had about old and new otaku generations
Apr 29, 2023 5:27 PM

Dec 2016
I feel like this show is about to jump the shark. The randomness just felt stale in this episode. Hope next episode we get back on track with the owo forces and how purple will redeem herself as magical girl.
Apr 29, 2023 6:32 PM

Jan 2022
The usual Mahou Soujo Magical Destroyer episode, in which something happens and the magical girls has to save the world, this time being a beach episode water canal episode with a few cool ecchi parts, Blue's always like that though. It's still as enjoyable for it's mess that it is, but i'm sure it'll come up to something very great later ! Excited to see what's next
I like everything, ok
Apr 29, 2023 9:27 PM
Sep 2021
Eu quero gostar desse anime, mas ele me cansa muito, a não ser q comece um plot super bem escrito acho q vai ser um nota 5 infelizmente
Apr 30, 2023 12:44 AM

Feb 2016
Well, this is sad, I've seen lots of animes that makes fun of the otaku culture, generally all of them cover the same topics with the same ideas and jokes, and that's ok, I don't mind it of course, in fact I like it, but this one just misses the mark, it ain't funny in any way, the jokes don't land, and I feel like the writters knew it so they try to cover the bad jokes with ecchi or dumb sex jokes, the sole role of Blue is to be the girl that do those things and it's by far the worst character here because of it.
This may have good animation, but really after the 1st episode it just became really boring to watch. Also I'm sorry but I hate both the opening and ending, those have really good animation and aesthetics but they don't fit in any way with the show and end up making me feel weird, like if they end up tiring me lol
4/10 Dropped.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Apr 30, 2023 5:22 AM
Apr 2008
I still have faith that it will be an abstract and thoughtful commentary based on both OP and ED, with all that happens on screen being a facade or imagination, but it's already Episode 4 and it's still the same absurdist comedy, and rather forced at that. The commentary, while there, is rather shallow.
Apr 30, 2023 7:39 AM

Jul 2021
Blue is really seducing everyone with her swimsuit when she's all horny af oh the irony 
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 30, 2023 11:07 AM

Dec 2016
i'm just glad they got the "beach episode" out of the way quickly.
Apr 30, 2023 3:42 PM

Apr 2008
Anyone know the references with the spoon transformation or the end image art style?
May 1, 2023 1:31 AM

Oct 2022
the end card is taken from magical destroyers kai, which is the tie-in mobile game from asobimo. it's just cool promo art and not a reference to anything in particular.
fgsfds
May 1, 2023 7:51 AM
Apr 2023
Another fun episode
This time it is more on the divide of the older otakus and the contemporary ones.
It's kind of annoying for the pre-2000s otakus to be too salty about being persecuted that they don't even want to help the fellow otakus, saying that the current demise is due to the more 'open' otakus in the modern times. Also funny that they were only able to get their sunken collections with the help of the younger otakus and the countermeasure they did, did not even help.

Admittedly. even nowadays the otakus are still being seen as weird in one way or another. This is most specially the case locally in Japan. They are usually kind of ostracized and looked down upon, because they generally as seen as depraved or perverted for being obsessed with fictional characters and worlds. But I believe this is just the case of the 'prominent few'.

There are lots of cases where stereotypes are born not because the stereotype itself describes the whole population of its target subject. Stereotypes are usually born because there is this one very little part of the whole which made a truly prominent act that it got too much attention and so it became associated with those who do not even do said act. It's like the only the 1% was seen but the 99% got labeled along with it.
There actually just a few otakus out there who are truly depraved, perverted, weird and acts in the way we think an 'over obsessed otaku' is. Most of the the true otakus are normal people, and they don't even have to hide it.
May 1, 2023 8:18 AM
Mar 2023
In the end I listened to the recommendations and the truth is exactly what they promised me; Opening and ending 10/10, story more than bizarre but without being stupid, and get hooked on one. Luckily they insisted on this anime.
May 1, 2023 10:18 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020

fifteencharactercount

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 1, 2023 12:49 PM

Dec 2016
Never before have I seen such an evident mismatch in quality between the OP/ED and the show itself. I'm glad people in this thread seem to be enjoying it at least, but I thought this episode was extremely pisspoor, even compared to the already underwhelming first three episodes. I have no idea if the opening was outsourced or something, but it feels as though it has an immensely creative vision. I don't see that reflected in the rest of the anime at all, I find it hard to believe that they were directed by the same minds. I absolutely adore what this show could've been, so it's a shame how dogshit it's turning out

Tinfoil hat time. Call me schizo, but I do think the show can redeem itself. I've been contemplating whether or not these introduction episodes have been a red herring. It's a far-fetched theory, because risking a viewerbase with such crippling mediocrity purely in pursuit of a plot twist... would be insane to say the least. But I do think there'll be some sort of catch, there's definitely something bigger at play. The symbolism in both the OP and ED strongly imply how the series will end, and the prospect of that ending does intrigue me. But hey, I'm just trying to justify how jarringly awful everything else is in comparison
May 2, 2023 6:37 AM
Apr 2023
As a middle otaku... I see good and bad in both world
May 2, 2023 10:26 AM

Feb 2019
Right, this was just plain filler.

I've been giving this show a lot of latitude on account of being the work of an artist who I'm faithful has a point to make, but this didn't progress the storyline at all nor provide any new characterisation. After the last episode bringing in Slayer and touching on the girls' origins, following up with this utterly senseless storyline is a huge disappointment. I think we're overdue on a few twists.

Cutting to buff Pink was funny though, I'll let that slide.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
May 2, 2023 10:49 AM

Jan 2013
Bio said:
Anyone know the references with the spoon transformation or the end image art style?

The spoon is an Ultraman reference when Shin Hayata took out a spoon instead of his transformation device as a one episode gag that turned famous. The "Do Watcha!" is also a reference to Ultraman's famous "Shuwatch" battle cry.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
May 3, 2023 1:40 AM

Mar 2008
I liked the topic of different experiences of otaku in different times.

Some of the gags were pretty funny.
May 3, 2023 2:01 PM
Sep 2020
.... the stuff with the kid and the soap was extremely unnecessary
May 3, 2023 8:12 PM

Jul 2017
I was really hoping that this show would live up to its amazing OP and ED, but this was just bad, downright bad. Not even so bad it's funny, just bad. I am starting to wonder if it is going for an anti comedy approach? I want to say that there will be some twist and it will get good, but I think that is just wishful thinking at this point. Who knows maybe there will be some twist and I can eat my words, but I am going to have to put this show down. It's a shame but maybe I will return to it, if it ends up getting better later... but I am feeling doubtful.
May 4, 2023 3:44 PM

Apr 2008
SHINOBI-03 said:
Bio said:

The spoon is an Ultraman reference when Shin Hayata took out a spoon instead of his transformation device as a one episode gag that turned famous. The "Do Watcha!" is also a reference to Ultraman's famous "Shuwatch" battle cry.
Appreciate the info.
May 5, 2023 4:58 PM

May 2018
Meh, episode was dull ngl. So far I enjoy this but the line between boldness, creativity and stupidity is sometimes very thin.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
May 6, 2023 1:59 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Ah yes. The whole old vs. new anime fan thing. This episode really made me think about how it is where I live. I think in the US-- or at least California in the 90's, it was normal for anime to be around because Pokemon was having its boom. So like Otaku Hero said, there wasn't really this idea of "otaku" it was just more like everyone was into Pokemon and their interests just expanded to other anime (Digimon, Beyblade, etc.). For us, there wasn't anything really shameful about any of it because it was just what was localized to become kids entertainment at the time. It's more that once you aged out of that demographic is when we were expected to get out of it all. The good thing was that I wanna say most people didn't know what the heck anime even was, so you could easily talk about anime in public, but no one would know what the heck you were talking about anyway, so you were safe. I can imagine in Japan it's not quite the same. Like just walking around here and talking to my classmates, I realize that suddenly people around might know exactly what I'm talking about (or at least understand that you're talking about some anime or something) so it's like... oh shoot, there's not much hiding things. ( Also, as for the US before I was born, I was told it was a lot more different. )

In California nowadays, the anime fan scene is a lot more open. People wear anime T-shirts of anime they haven't even seen before. There's no hiding, but now no one cares. Yet it's not even like an otaku thing, it's just that everyone and their mom got into anime during quarantine. Now it's a matter of how deep into anime you are. A lot of my little cousins watch anime and get excited when they hear I watch anime as well, but then they realize I'm not just like... a Netflix anime watcher and have been into anime for longer than they've been alive and they probably find that to be a little too geeky. I guess it's kinda the same in Japan, but being a hidden otaku isn't really necessary anymore it seems-- unless you really don't want to be seen as geeky if you're way beyond Netflix anime fan level.

While I'm happy this episode got me thinking of this, it was a bit of an odd episode in comparison to the other three. As much as this conversation interests me, I'd rather keep the plot going and character development growing.
SwiggyMay 6, 2023 2:02 AM

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 8, 2023 5:46 PM
Jul 2020
the sexualization of that 7-8ish kid was so gross and the "fanservice" so in-your-face that i almost quit watching. the only reason i finished this episode is bc i got distracted halfway and it kept playing lol

this is why "magical girl" anime (it's tagged as one) really suck when they are catered to a male audience.
May 19, 2023 11:24 AM
Nov 2019
Damn.

I wouldn't say the story's been slow, given that they picked up Blue and Pink in 2 and 3 which is how recent seasons of Precure pace building up a team...but something about it still feels lacking. We're already a third of the way through and I'm still not sure what the end goal is. Defeat Slayer? Defeat the SSC? Some type of peace involving "everyone's a nerd inside! You need passion to live!" type of message? Shouldn't there be a sense of urgency with the whole "people/otaku were brainwashed" and the lack of food? Or at least it'd be funny to have gags about nerds picking figure kits over basic necessities.

In some way I feel like maybe my issue isn't even with the show itself but with how the promotional content and seeing the OP/ED ahead of time might've had me set the bar higher than an anime that's having fun and not giving a fuck (when it comes to comedy). Maybe if I went in totally blind I'd be having more fun and just go with the flow.

The stuff with the kid this episode combined with a sort of boring fight made me consider dropping it here but the stuff about generational (or ...cultural?) differences between nerds was exactly what I was hoping for since before the anime even premiered. It's a shame that it's sort of buried between stuff like the kid stuff in this episode but I'm going to give it another episode or two before I might drop it. Hoping the halfway point will start setting a course for something cool!
Jun 1, 2023 5:05 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Older otakus vs new gen otakus, it's true that the culture evolved a lot compared to before, but Otaku hero is right they need to stand together :) (anyway we got to see the girls in swimsuits lol)
Jun 3, 2023 8:09 PM

Dec 2016
This episode would've been a 5/10 if it weren't for the gross sexualization of that little boy, now it's a 2.
Funny enough as somebody with a low tolerance for fanservice I actually like Blue as she feels like a satirical take on hypersexual characters, and the show itself mocks her by having characters find her horniness more annoying and unnecessary than hot; I get huge Miu Iruma vibes from her in that sense. That said with this episode being nothing but fanservice, yeah it's a miss for me, and that "joke" with the kid left such a bad taste in my mouth. Just why?
Sep 10, 2023 8:29 PM

May 2010
I get this is parody of otaku culture but the sexualization of the children was gross. Ironic shit posting is still shit posting and the soft core shota was not funny.
Sep 25, 2023 8:16 PM

Jan 2023
Buff Pink scene was way too funny! haha ;D
Sep 25, 2023 8:17 PM

Jan 2023
Reply to linkmax1412
I get this is parody of otaku culture but the sexualization of the children was gross. Ironic shit posting is still shit posting and the soft core shota was not funny.
@linkmax1412 This I agree with, I found it very off putting. Buff Pink scene was hilarious tho! haha :D
Feb 9, 4:50 PM

Dec 2021
most despicable disgusting ep so far.. yeesh

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2023

52 by bluntaba_sakura »»
May 6, 12:44 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2023

91 by GavrocheN7 »»
Apr 28, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2023

99 by MrGthBauglir »»
Apr 20, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2023

175 by katakumplat »»
Feb 17, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 26, 2023

50 by owonism »»
Feb 9, 7:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.