Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 26, 2023 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
Rei is a lady killer. He really knows the actions and words in this show..maybe Ataru can learn a few things from him.

I think this episode is cute seeing Lum as a charming kid. Her mom seems to have some bit of temper though. Lum behaves exactly as a kid would do. And lol, Lum managed to trick Ataru. 
Jan 26, 2023 8:26 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 26, 2023 10:01 AM

Jul 2017
Ran's time with Rei was looking bright, even attached with a cheek kiss. Ran's definitely over the moon so much to invite Lum over for tea time, it's an achievement. But Rei holing himself in Ataru's home, and it'c clear that Rei hasn't completely forgotten about Lum, but the kiss is easily forgotten. The cat offers taiyaki as consolation, and Rei goes in for the full thing. Oh welp...what a complicated love quadrangle.

Ran re-accounting her young times with her only friend, and childhood can be fickle memories...except for the one constant where Lum always wets her bed and Ran gets the short end of the stick being chewed at by her mother, each and every time. Even buying ice cream, Lum isn't being sympathetic about Ran smashing her face onto the cliff and paying for her own ice cream. As for playing darts, it's more or less the same, but even worse. A terrible mismanagement but looks like habits don't go away.

Nurse Sakura roasting newts to make medicine to cure all sorts of diseases...plus make a love potion, because why not, especially for both Lum and Shinobu. Cherry has denounced the making of the love potion in the form of candy, and proposes a try on their love affections. This isn't the 1st time that Ataru has fallen to the charms, and it works...with the side-effect of unconsciously exposing himself, because Sakura made the wrong potion instead that turns people into badmouth liars.

The one-off gags do work to give the hilarity effect. Nice.
Jan 26, 2023 10:06 AM

Feb 2019
Lmao it’s an anime but there’s really a lot of “friends” like Lum irl. How you gon promise to buy ice cream then say she gotta buy yours lmaooo ataru treating her the way he does is just karma

Second half with the love potion was hilarious as well. That’s twice in a row we’ve had a mix up, the spouse machine thing and now the potions
Jan 26, 2023 10:19 AM

Jan 2018
I love Ran so I loved this episode, simple as that. I might be biased but I think Ran episodes also look better than typical episodes lol.

Missed some of the original gags though. Like Ran being a space Jew
Or Ataru making a Monogatari reference
One thing I didn't expect to be dialed back was Ran's mom. Here she just yelled at her child instead of spanking her like a true Asian parent.
I guess it's something that won't fly in the Reiwa era. Ran also shot it down happening off-screen by explicitly saying she only got yelled at. This would make Remake Ran even pettier than her original counterpart lol.

But if this was changed because it was considered problematic, I wonder how much they'll change Ryuunosuke's relationship with her father for the Remake...

I felt like they didn't need to cram Adverse Effects into this episode. As a result, some dialogue from all of the parts got skipped, though nothing of importance was lost. It was a weird chapter to adapt considering it has Lum drugging her Darling but it was funny and I enjoyed it. It was just odd that it was treated like a post-credits scene when it was really the 3rd part of the episode. (Ataru's Retirement made sense because it felt like a post-credits gag)

Next week, we'll finally get Ryuunosuke and her father.

I don't know how many Ranma 1/2 fans are watching this, but Ryuunosuke Fujinami was basically the blueprint for Ranma Saotome.

And we'll have Shigeru Chiba voicing Ryuunosuke's father as well. He is one of the original Urusei Yatsura voice actors who voiced one of the fan-favorite characters Megane, who was basically anime-original.

The Remake lacks Megane and the rest of Lum's Stormtroopers because it's only adapting content from the manga. But with Shigeru Chiba returning I think a lot of the people who were asking for Megane to come back will calm down.
I just wonder if he'll be allowed to adlib because that's basically what made Megane a fan-favorite in the first place.
0451Jan 26, 2023 10:57 AM
Jan 26, 2023 10:47 AM
Jun 2020
Ran-chan SHIAWASE!!!!!!
Jan 26, 2023 11:25 AM
Mar 2015
Rei only kissed Ran to eat the crumbs off her face. Lum was little fibber.
Jan 26, 2023 1:26 PM

Jan 2012
Wow, that was something awesome
Jan 26, 2023 2:12 PM

Jul 2016
Is it me or was the animation a lot smoother during certain moments in the first segment?

Anyways, first segment was kinda whatever. Wasn't really particularly funny in any way, although I really liked seeing Rei kiss Ran straight up on the lips. That was a cute moment, even if he only really did it to taste the leftover paste.

Second was a bit better, about on par with the original anime's take on it, although I wish they kept that gag where the waiter kept thinking that Ran was leading him on, which resulted in him getting repeatedly injured, that was by far the best gag in it. I also noticed how they toned-down (albeit understandably so) Ran's mother strictness towards her, so that has me wondering if they're gonna tone down Ryuunosuke's father treatment of her as well.

Third was by far the best one, having by far the funniest moments of the three. I lost my shit when Ataru randomly blurbing out about an entire family dying of a housefire as a result of the candy, that just came out of nowhere, lol. Also, it gave us this perfect face for Lum

Remind me to make that my PFP at some point

Overall, it was an alright episode, I liked it enough. Part of me kinda wishes they had cut the first segment out and expanded on the third one more, because that first portion was seriously unimpressive.
Jan 26, 2023 3:03 PM

Jan 2021
I can get why Ran  is mad with Lum...funny episode but why the ending so soon and then 6 more minutes? xD
Jan 26, 2023 4:31 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So this time we get a Lum and Ran episode. The first segment was really funny when Ran misunderstood Rei's kiss only to turn out that is only because she had crumbs on her cheeks. All Rei cares about is the food in his belly. The second segment was just Lum and Ram talking about how they used to play with each other as kids except it was Lum that was always getting Ram into trouble. Now we know why Ran hates Lum's guts because she always gets the short end of the stick whenever Lum is around. The we get the after credit scene where Sakura, Lum, and Shinobu try to make a love potion. Lum try using it on Ataru which looked liked it worked at first, but he started acting weird when he started talking everyone else including his mother. Turns out that Ataru's weird behavior was the effect of the Loud potion which they made by accident which turned Ataru into an even a bigger liar than before.

Another fun episode. 
Jan 26, 2023 6:21 PM

Apr 2022
PURE JOYYYYYYYY - ran was jokes this episode, chemistry between her and lum is hilarious. also, lum with the switcheroo.

last segment, ataru telling his mom to keep his lunch in the fridge right after saying he'll never go back home lmaoo.
Jan 26, 2023 6:23 PM
Oct 2020
Even if he was just aiming for the food that was still a legitimate kiss from Rei on the lip
Jan 26, 2023 7:09 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
The first bit regarding Ran getting a kiss from Rei is one I haven’t seen but I really liked it, Ran’s explosions of emotion were all so good lol, and of course Rei is too much of a klutz to realize what he was doing when he was going for those crumbs. The 2nd bit with Ran and Lum reminiscing about their childhood is one I have seen and it was done well here, looks like they did tone down Ran’s mom a bit but that’s understandable, I do miss the waiter guy falling down the stairs to Ran’s outbursts tho, he did get one good reaction in at least.

And after one of the earliest EDs I’ve seen we got the 3rd bit which is another that I’ve yet to see, and while I thought it was good I do feel it was missing quite a bit, I saw someone mention that Shinobu does give Mendou her candy in the OG and we didn’t see it here sadly, but I look forward to it in the original when I get to it. And looks like we’ll finally meet Ryuunosuke in the remake, I’m really curious to see how they handle her here because while I found her bits with her dad hilarious in the OG, I can see folks not being into it for obvious reasons, looking forward to it nonetheless!

0451 said:
And we'll have Shigeru Chiba voicing Ryuunosuke's father as well. He is one of the original Urusei Yatsura voice actors who voiced one of the fan-favorite characters Megane, who was basically anime-original.

Wow I had no idea Megane was an anime original, he’s so fun too imo, glad to know his VA is returning.
Jan 26, 2023 8:38 PM

Jan 2018
TheColonel76 said:
The first bit regarding Ran getting a kiss from Rei is one I haven’t seen but I really liked it, Ran’s explosions of emotion were all so good lol, and of course Rei is too much of a klutz to realize what he was doing when he was going for those crumbs. The 2nd bit with Ran and Lum reminiscing about their childhood is one I have seen and it was done well here, looks like they did tone down Ran’s mom a bit but that’s understandable, I do miss the waiter guy falling down the stairs to Ran’s outbursts tho, he did get one good reaction in at least.

And after one of the earliest EDs I’ve seen we got the 3rd bit which is another that I’ve yet to see, and while I thought it was good I do feel it was missing quite a bit, I saw someone mention that Shinobu does give Mendou her candy in the OG and we didn’t see it here sadly, but I look forward to it in the original when I get to it. And looks like we’ll finally meet Ryuunosuke in the remake, I’m really curious to see how they handle her here because while I found her bits with her dad hilarious in the OG, I can see folks not being into it for obvious reasons, looking forward to it nonetheless!

0451 said:

Wow I had no idea Megane was an anime original, he’s so fun too imo, glad to know his VA is returning.

Lum's Stormtroopers WERE in the first chapters of the manga as unnamed extras. But they were quickly phased out after the introduction of Mendo IIRC.
Jan 26, 2023 8:50 PM

Feb 2020
0451 said:
I love Ran so I loved this episode, simple as that. I might be biased but I think Ran episodes also look better than typical episodes lol.

Missed some of the original gags though. Like Ran being a space Jew
Or Ataru making a Monogatari reference
One thing I didn't expect to be dialed back was Ran's mom. Here she just yelled at her child instead of spanking her like a true Asian parent.
I guess it's something that won't fly in the Reiwa era. Ran also shot it down happening off-screen by explicitly saying she only got yelled at. This would make Remake Ran even pettier than her original counterpart lol.

But if this was changed because it was considered problematic, I wonder how much they'll change Ryuunosuke's relationship with her father for the Remake...

I felt like they didn't need to cram Adverse Effects into this episode. As a result, some dialogue from all of the parts got skipped, though nothing of importance was lost. It was a weird chapter to adapt considering it has Lum drugging her Darling but it was funny and I enjoyed it. It was just odd that it was treated like a post-credits scene when it was really the 3rd part of the episode. (Ataru's Retirement made sense because it felt like a post-credits gag)

Next week, we'll finally get Ryuunosuke and her father.

I don't know how many Ranma 1/2 fans are watching this, but Ryuunosuke Fujinami was basically the blueprint for Ranma Saotome.

The Remake lacks Megane and the rest of Lum's Stormtroopers because it's only adapting content from the manga. But with Shigeru Chiba returning I think a lot of the people who were asking for Megane to come back will calm down.
I just wonder if he'll be allowed to adlib because that's basically what made Megane a fan-favorite in the first place.
OG urusei yatsura had so much more fun stuff lol

and Ataru was way more based

Jan 26, 2023 9:35 PM

Jan 2012
Oh wow, they really cut out the spanking gag from all the Ran flashbacks. That's a shame, I guess I get the reasoning behind it in this day and age, but ngl I laughed my ass off reading that in the manga. Without it the humor in the scene is sorely lacking and feels so...toothless. Maybe had I watched this without reading that chapter first it would have landed better, but I didn't so it didn't. First time I've genuinely been disappointed with this adaptation.
Jan 26, 2023 10:09 PM
Apr 2021
Baby lum is so cute.
Jan 26, 2023 11:09 PM

May 2019
This episode was pretty much a straightforward adaptation of 3 separate chapters. It's much more enjoyable compared to the previous episode since it focusee on Ran this time. I like the flying Lum with the moon as the background so much. I wonder who let Kotatsuneko get into Ataru's room.... I wish they would adapt his backstory instead of just shoving him as background character. Ran hostility and trust issues are justified with how terrible her childhood is. There are no spanking from her mother in the remake. I find it weird and awkward to put the third part after the ed. I still don't like how Ataru is more of side character in the remake. I hope Shigeru Chiba still goes all out in voicing Ryunosuke's father in the next episode like how he used to voice Megane.

YoshiKiller01 said:
Third was by far the best one, having by far the funniest moments of the three. I lost my shit when Ataru randomly blurbing out about an entire family dying of a housefire as a result of the candy, that just came out of nowhere, lol.

The OG version of the third part (ep 188) is a lot more funnier with Mendou also eat the candy and having him and Ataru telling ridiculous stories at the class.
VivaceRexJan 26, 2023 11:24 PM

Jan 26, 2023 11:15 PM
Dec 2022
The direction and animation feels better in this episode IMO, it's a shame they watered down Ran's mom.

Also with Chiba returning next episode I wish Megane and his Stormtroopers appeared more, they were in the manga for quite some time
Jan 27, 2023 1:30 AM

Oct 2017
Gotta feel bad for Lum, Rei misleading her like that and Lum making her life hell. Love potion part was kinda funny.
Jan 27, 2023 5:40 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Huh, so it was Lum the one who made Ran the way she is now by being a brat and her mom being super strict. Looks like the dynamic between the two is here to stay.

The lying potion ey? Looks like the Liar Liar episode is next.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jan 27, 2023 6:59 AM

Oct 2008
for me this episode is really hilarious! so much laughs and so much screams from HanaKana!
lol and that Love poition...it was actually a LOUD potion bwahaha
5/5.

Jan 27, 2023 8:31 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
That's a lot of Taiyaki's that Ran ended up getting. Still at least that date of hers proved to be successful. Rei is just so clueless. Back when they were kids their bond sure had moments of strain. With Lum especially exploiting Ran pretty badly as well. No wonder her personality in the present is so twisted. When it comes to love potions guess no girl can resit the curisoity. Some pretty unique ingredients though. Too bad that it didn't work but i guess that would be too easy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2023 9:42 AM

Mar 2018
The masterpieces just keep coming
Jan 27, 2023 12:54 PM
Sep 2018
Gosh Rei had a pretty abusive childhood with the mother always shouting at her without question. However it’s pretty true for some who have an aggressive speaker of a parent ;/

Also that kiss with Rei and Ran was adorable. In the end credits, it was hilarious with Ataru being a loudmouth instead of falling in love with Lum xD
Jan 27, 2023 2:08 PM

Jul 2016
Ruining her friend's childhood + drugging her darling. Lum is truly a menace.
Jan 27, 2023 3:19 PM

May 2018
Red bean paste always tastes better on someone's face, after all UwU
Jan 27, 2023 4:26 PM
Nov 2022
B R U H
I really liked the episode, it was good to see something of Lum and Ran's past as well as seeing how their love/hate relationship progressed to where it is.
Jan 27, 2023 11:00 PM
May 2017
Another fun episode, especially that mini story after the ed played.

4/5
Jan 28, 2023 3:49 AM

May 2021
Oof, kinda feel bad for Ran. I suppose karma is biting her in the ass through Ataru.

Jan 28, 2023 4:56 AM

May 2015
This episode was pretty great. Glad to see some more Ran and Lum focus. Her love with Rei might only be resolved with food and food alone. The love potion which was really just a lying potion was also a pretty good short story.
Jan 28, 2023 8:33 AM
Nov 2019
the op and ed from ep 13 have been great as well, and the colours used in this anime and the animation quality is off the charts !
Jan 28, 2023 9:45 AM
Dec 2022
Finally Hirano Fumi talked in "normal" aka japanese language 
she still nailed it.. OG Lum as Lum mother ftw 
Jan 28, 2023 7:59 PM

Feb 2016
0451 said:
Ryuunosuke Fujinami was basically the blueprint for Ranma Saotome.
I think she's more like Ukyo.
その目だれの目?
Jan 28, 2023 8:07 PM

Jan 2018
Lucifrost said:
0451 said:
Ryuunosuke Fujinami was basically the blueprint for Ranma Saotome.
I think she's more like Ukyo.

The only similarity they have is both wear boy's uniforms. Spiritually, Ranma is like a male version of Ryuunosuke.
Jan 28, 2023 9:25 PM

Oct 2018
Kana Hanazawa as Ran is just brilliant, her overcharged dynamic vocal range here is just as much zany hilarity as she was back when she voiced Hanato Kobato earlier in her VA career. Both characters have a propensity for going on completely bonkers rants/tangents and screaming out loud at the top of their lungs, Kana is perfect as both characters and has me laughing out loud pretty good. I think I might have to get back to rewatching Kobato where I left off last time, some of her madcap energy definitely has similar vibes to Ran.
Jan 29, 2023 5:40 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Hilarious the "Rem ´s kiss"!!!! kekeke
Jan 29, 2023 6:58 AM

Feb 2012
I knew it, he was after the anko stains on Ram's face. His only desire is food.
Every time Lum lied, Ran took the blame to it. Even lies to defend Ran (like during the darts game) do not work, Ran's mother will scold her.
Sakura treads the line between school nurse, witch and shrine maiden lol.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 30, 2023 1:32 AM

Dec 2008
After a super weak start this remake finally starts to unfold, I loved this episode.

Mean little Lum really give Ran a traumatic childhood, it's always so that the other person has no idea how the ones that experienced
injustice at a young age feel, they will remember it for the rest of their life. A bit silly of Ran to still blame Lum for being a terrible childhood friend. 

Lum left the café in a depressed state, Ran blamed her for things she hardly remembers was a bit hard.

with such a scary mum it's no surprise Ran was wetting her bed all the time.  
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2023 6:05 PM
Oct 2019
Of course Rei always go just for the food.

The way Kana Hanazawa switch her voice is just Insane.
Lum really screw Ran life since childhood lol
Feb 3, 2023 8:01 AM

May 2015
Very fun and cute episode. I like this show more and more.
Feb 3, 2023 1:58 PM

Jun 2015
Any show which incorporates the squueee and understands the complexity of the squeeiverse across space and time, with characters squeezing is a 10/10. To understand the nature of the squee and to employ it in the correct context shows these people understand its importance!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Feb 3, 2023 3:07 PM

Jun 2021
After a tease in Ran introduction episode in this remake, i thought the childhood flashbacks one from the original anime would have been skipped this time. It didn't, but it was still decided to avoid the sad spanking scenes that she didn't deserve in the first place. Sort of expected, in hindsight. Poor Ran. At least she was "kissed" twice by her beloved in the subplot before...more or less.
Feb 9, 2023 9:17 AM

May 2020
Wow now it all makes sense why Ran's so annoying around Lum. Wrong me was blaming Ran all along for no reason, fuck.

And wait I don't think there was any change in Ataru even after consuming the drug.
Feb 24, 2023 3:22 AM

Jun 2019
This was such a funny episode. The episode was focused on Lum and Ran's friendship but everything was just utter chaos for Ran. So adorable.

Nah... Ataru. You never cheated on anyone bruh...
Mar 6, 2023 4:05 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Ahah poor Ran during her memories with Lamu I felt bad for her to be honest xD And everytime they have a potion or whatever it always go wrong xD But Ataru saying shits like that is nothing new
Mar 22, 2023 9:40 PM

Jan 2015
Psychotic segment, haha.
Poor Ran for second.
Third segment was really funny, wonder if we do see this shared more in the next episode or not.
Apr 5, 2023 12:19 PM

Jul 2021
one of the few episodes that actually made me laugh. the smol ran-lum parts were hilarious also the end of that chapter in anime

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 3, 2023 6:21 AM

Jul 2014
Ran's mother is just an absolutely awful person and mother, that's pretty much all I got out of this episode really.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2022

142 by 3rez »»
Apr 26, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2022

154 by red1130 »»
Apr 17, 9:51 AM

» Does this get better or the overall feel of the series can be sensed in it's first episodes?

BiobulletM - Mar 12

7 by 0451 »»
Apr 13, 5:22 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2023

52 by adaminop »»
Apr 5, 9:53 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2022

98 by Rezete_01 »»
Mar 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.