Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 10, 2022 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
Lol, boxing gloves? Really? Happy to see Sakura showing up in the remake though.

Ataru got hit so many times in the face that he looked like a meme. A very goofy episode as expected and so many damn love letters lol..
Nov 10, 2022 8:29 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 10, 2022 9:36 AM
May 2021
I love the OP and ED a lot. Such a damn vibe. This ong prolly one of the funniest shows I’ve watched. You don’t see humour like this nowadays in a lot of media. Kind of refreshing honestly
Nov 10, 2022 9:46 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
LeoDrago said:
I love the OP and ED a lot. Such a damn vibe. This ong prolly one of the funniest shows I’ve watched. You don’t see humour like this nowadays in a lot of media. Kind of refreshing honestly

It's refreshing for today's generation but very prone to being disliked since it's pretty outdated humour.

I'd have to clench my cheeks if Maison Ikkoku ever gets remade, i wouldn't be able to deal with one of my favourite anime ever being slandered today.
Nov 10, 2022 10:03 AM
May 2021
Smudy said:
LeoDrago said:

It's refreshing for today's generation but very prone to being disliked since it's pretty outdated humour.

I'd have to clench my cheeks if Maison Ikkoku ever gets remade, i wouldn't be able to deal with one of my favourite anime ever being slandered today.

I get what you mean yeah. Despite me being Gen Z I still grew up watching old cartoons. I’m sure there’s more people in their late teens and early twenties who did then same so that’s probably why this show hits normally for me and for them.

Sadly I don’t think that’ll be the case for future generations with how the entertainment environment is now. They have absolutely no idea what they’re missing out on
Nov 10, 2022 10:24 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Actual heartfelt moment at the end with Ataru noticing Lum who BTW looks great in every casual clothing it seems.

Nov 10, 2022 10:29 AM

Jan 2018
"How I've Waited For You..." Indeed, I waited for this episode, ever since the Remake was first announced.

The first part of the episode was ok. It reintroduced Sakura as the school nurse while also adapting the glove of love and conflict which is a very late chapter of the manga. But despite certain characters and development from the manga being missing, I think it was adapted well. But nothing special. The most notable thing was that the violence was significantly toned down from the 1981 anime. There's no blood and Ataru punching himself isn't really shown explicitly. It’s like how nudity was toned down.

The main event of this episode is absolutely the 2nd part. Episode 10 of the original anime was easily one of the best episodes of the whole series but it wasn't very faithful to the manga. But it was one of the rare cases where the changes of the anime actually improved upon the original manga chapter. Meanwhile, the Remake stays as close to the manga as possible (while making a few small changes/additions). The most noticeable change from the manga/remake to the 1981 anime is the absence of the Christmas Eve theme which made the original Episode 10 feel special.

My biggest complaint about Episode 10 of the 1981 anime was that the animation didn't age well. Well, this Remake absolutely delivers on that front. "Kumino Otoko" is GORGEOUS. And I should also mention that the music was also great in this episode. But IMO nothing will top the original Episode 10. One thing that the Remake does better though was making Ataru act more like a tsundere near the end. This is a critical episode where you see Ataru falling in love with Lum for the first time. But turning him into a tsundere doesn't break the continuity of him suddenly being in love with Lum and then chasing girls in the next episode. 
It was good but it could've been a bit better.
I just wish the whole episode was dedicated to this one story, then it could take a few elements from the original episode 10's page too.

If you're a new fan then I highly recommend just watching Episode 10 "Pitter-Patter Christmas Eve" of the original Urusei Yatsura. I promise you it'll be worth it. 
Edit- A YouTube channel uploaded the classic episode 10. Watch it before it gets taken down 
Now the next episode will adapt 3 stories at once... What the hell?! How are they gonna pull that off?
0451Dec 27, 2022 1:36 AM
Nov 10, 2022 10:52 AM

May 2020
Curse that gold digger, took the money but didn't come. Though that ended up in favour of Lum in the end, she saved Ataru's face and had a heartfelt hand holding moment.. so all's well that ends well.
Nov 10, 2022 11:01 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Lol the cursed boxing gloves xD 2nd part was fun as well kinda felt bad for Lamu as usual but that was cute to see her in a different style
Nov 10, 2022 11:05 AM
Aug 2022
This was a critical chapter in UY's timeline and seeing it adapted now helps compare the og anime and the new one better.

I see the og anime as a gourmet dish prepared by a chef with amazing artistic qualities, and the new one like a big tasty colorful candy. In other words it's pretty good, but it lacks the meat that the original show had (regardless of the fact that it's skipping chapters). And I feel like it's something made to be enjoyed by young teens rather than adults. The censorship in the 'Gloves' part with the goofy ringbell sound effects as Onsen gets punched by Ataru is just an example of this, but also the super frantic pace and histrionics in general ("let's make sure no kid gets bored watching this").

But for the first time at the end of episode 5 I was moved. The pace slowed down, the goofy sound effects stopped, the music was appropriate. Ataru grabbing Lum's hand was just as sweet as in the original. It clashed with everything we've seen so far in terms of tone, but still, it was well done.
Nov 10, 2022 11:13 AM
Mar 2017
Lamu deserves better
Nov 10, 2022 11:14 AM

Aug 2017
Pretty much sums up the entirety of the male student class lol. A bunch of desperate simps.

Shrine maiden Sakura comes to school as a nurse for what ever reason.
Shortly after, she has to exorcise them cursed boxing gloves where the right glove clinch holds the opponent with love and the left glove punches them.
Her method of exorcising the gloves is very odd yet entertaining. Pretty much she set up a boxing ring that has a barrier. She traps Ataru and Lum inside.
They would go at with each other but it was mostly Ataru punching himself in the face a bunch of times. Then the curse is lifted. Yippy ki yay Mr. Falcon! Woohoo!!

The climax of the episode was very wholesome. I like how Lum dressed up as Otoko Kumino to cover up her absence during the date. And to lessen the embarrassment of Ataru being ghosted. It was really sweet. Really glad that Lum was able to get to hand hold Ataru as they walk in the beautiful sunset. Looks like Ataru found something attractive about Lum that forces him to grab her hand. Hopefully it's character development lol.

Nov 10, 2022 11:25 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Thats one large cat there. Guess the rumours of a beautiful new school nurse would draw any boy from the school. Though to think that the new nurse will be Sakura though. Those gloves though sure had an interesting effect on them. Though have to say the boxer who created it sure had a very unfortunate life. But that sure was an interesting way to exorcise its spirit. Funny how the guys plan ended up backfiring that much on them. But that was some really quick thinking on Lum's part though. A pretty fun ep that featured some long overdue development for Ataru and Lum. Looks like next week we'll be seeing a fight.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2022 11:26 AM
Aug 2022
lum chan kawaii ❤️
Nov 10, 2022 11:37 AM

Aug 2019
Good to get more of Sakura, probably best girl so far, though I'm starting to see the appeal of Lum

Finally something that allows me to give a little respect to Ataru, still think he's a dumbass though

Nov 10, 2022 11:51 AM
Apr 2013
Smudy said:
LeoDrago said:

I get the worry, but if you think about it... so what if the kids don't like it? Nostalgia is nice and it's easy enough to ignore twitter and the like. I'd love to see Maison Ikkoku remade.

Seawolf43 said:
This was a critical chapter in UY's timeline and seeing it adapted now helps compare the og anime and the new one better.

I see the og anime as a gourmet dish prepared by a chef with amazing artistic qualities, and the new one like a big tasty colorful candy. In other words it's pretty good, but it lacks the meat that the original show had (regardless of the fact that it's skipping chapters). And I feel like it's something made to be enjoyed by young teens rather than adults. The censorship in the 'Gloves' part with the goofy ringbell sound effects as Onsen gets punched by Ataru is just an example of this, but also the super frantic pace and histrionics in general ("let's make sure no kid gets bored watching this").

But for the first time at the end of episode 5 I was moved. The pace slowed down, the goofy sound effects stopped, the music was appropriate. Ataru grabbing Lum's hand was just as sweet as in the original. It clashed with everything we've seen so far in terms of tone, but still, it was well done.

Personally I kinda like the faster pace to be honest. Most long 80's anime can be quite a slog at times even if the series and/or source material is good and there's no way I'd ever have time to actually finish the series if it was as long as the original one is.
Nov 10, 2022 11:55 AM

Mar 2020
In terms of plot progression, probably the best so far, as well as my favourite episode so far. Didn't care a whole lot about the boxing glove portion, but the second half was genuinely decent, and I saw why Lum might be a fan favourite for sure. It's the first time that Ataru has genuinely felt something towards her, and that's something, though he'll probably revert to his dumb self next episode.
Nov 10, 2022 12:18 PM

Nov 2016
This episode hit different than the ones before. Should've been able to convince at least some of those who were thinking this series is only good at being zany.

Personally, I even prefer the remake for the scene where Ataru grabbed Lum's hand.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 10, 2022 12:37 PM

Feb 2022
Ohhhh a flicker of interest by Ataru towards Lum, progress
Nov 10, 2022 12:42 PM

Oct 2017
Respect Ataru for never hitting a woman, he atleast has one redeeming quality. Second half was sweet. Lum best girl, she's darling.
Nov 10, 2022 12:51 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
This episode was so funny I couldn't stop crying from laughing. It looks like we may see a new girl next week based on the after credit scene.
Nov 10, 2022 12:52 PM
Feb 2022
amazing episode honestly very
Nov 10, 2022 12:52 PM
Jun 2022
i've always loved the tender, less comedy-focused moments in uruyatsu most. the second story in this episode is one of the earliest of those moments that i remember from the first adaptation.

but i really would have liked it better if the second story got an entire episode's worth of runtime. it probably would have hit harder.
Nov 10, 2022 1:35 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
MahoShojoEnjoyer said:
whoever ataru's VA is, he does a really good job.

Hiroshi Kamiya, the most favourited VA on MAL and one of the most popular VA's in general.
Nov 10, 2022 2:11 PM

May 2020
Smudy said:
MahoShojoEnjoyer said:
whoever ataru's VA is, he does a really good job.

Hiroshi Kamiya, the most favourited VA on MAL and one of the most popular VA's in general.

In all honesty this is the only anime that I've watched with him in but he is really living up to Toshio Furukawa's Ataru.
Nov 10, 2022 3:14 PM
Oct 2022
Well, not sure the decision to mix the glove chapter with Sakura introduction to school was the best - though the decision to replace Ten with Sakurambo was neat, i was expecting Ataru vs the cat, instead !

But anyway we were all waiting for the second part of the episode, being a storic, fan favourite chapter - both manga and OG anime.

I think they did a nice job, it clearly follows the manga a lot more, which is a plus for me (as some details/scenes of the OG anime episode appeared too forced to me).
Nov 10, 2022 4:27 PM

May 2018
I hate love sucker punching girls as well!
Nov 10, 2022 4:31 PM

Sep 2011
Definitely the best ep so far though if the series is gonna try to take the romance more seriously every so often it kind of needs to sell more more on Ataru actually having any redeeming quality, thats great for 99% of the time when its a comedy but having that pretty sweet last scene being the one that directly followed him at his absolute worst weakens it slightly.

Smudy said:
LeoDrago said:

I donbt think ive really seen anyone slandering this series at all (if anything i feel like ive seen parts of it get shown around on twitter decently often) its just not seen as the funniest thing in the world, even the original doesnt have particularly high ratings here despite it having a massive episode count meaning only people who liked it enough to get at least 2/3rd of the way through have their score count. Maison Ikkoku has a much higher score with half the episode count I think theres just a general discrepancy between the audiences for both in the western audiences.
JizzyHitlerNov 10, 2022 4:37 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 10, 2022 5:06 PM

Nov 2008
I still feel that Sakura's VA needs to try to make Sakura's voice a bit huskier.
Nov 10, 2022 5:10 PM

Jul 2008
I liked that last escene…
My candies:
Nov 10, 2022 5:19 PM

Sep 2011
Man finally begins to realize how good he has it. More news at 11
Nov 10, 2022 5:27 PM

Apr 2015
I liked this episode a little bit more than the others because the mc actually shows some affection to Lum.
Nov 10, 2022 5:34 PM
May 2017
Just felt in love with Lum again.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Nov 10, 2022 5:42 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
The first half of this episode is one I haven’t seen yet in the original, I definitely liked it. First I’m kinda sad they condensed Sakura becoming the school nurse into a short intro bit but it’s understandable giving what they’re doing with this remake, really happy to see her as the nurse now tho. The boxing gloves causing Ataru to embrace everyone including Mendou was hilarious lol.

And the 2nd half was an episode I remember loving in the original, I liked it a lot as a Christmas episode before but it’s also very good not being one, it’s one of the first times Ataru shows any affection for Lum and it’s super sweet to see, Lum looks amazing with that look too. And it also looks like we’re gonna see one of my favorite waifus of the series next episode, and I do like the red hair they gave her in this one.
Nov 10, 2022 6:38 PM
Mar 2021
LeoDrago said:
yah agreed about as exactly what i was gonna put the shows been great so far
Nov 10, 2022 6:48 PM

Apr 2022
lessgoooo lum catching a W
Nov 10, 2022 6:50 PM
May 2017
Best episode yet 5/5
Nov 10, 2022 6:56 PM

May 2015
Ataru sure has a lot of vitality to get back up after taking all of that beating the first half of this episode. I'd say it's his best redeeming trait. The second half of the episode made for a very sweet ending.
Nov 10, 2022 6:58 PM

Feb 2019
First 16-17 mins of the ep had me really annoyed with how Ataru was treating Lum. Obviously the whole gag is their game of tug of war, but seeing her cry like that and feel useless was really sad. I’m glad Ataru finally realised how lucky he is to have her around at the end of the ep, him grabbing her hand to stop her from flying off was really cute.
Nov 10, 2022 6:59 PM
Aug 2021
That last scene was cute af
Nov 10, 2022 7:04 PM
Nov 2020
LeoDrago said:

I was thinking it has that 80s vibe and it’s definitely a nice change.
Nov 10, 2022 7:28 PM

Dec 2014
Best episode so far, Ik is an episodic series but the last part was fantastic!
Nov 10, 2022 7:46 PM
Feb 2018
This episode at first wasn't like WOW the best episode but from middle to end.... I need to say this was perfect... I wasn't expecting anything and I just watch this cause well fun? and to see what it had but this episode showed me that this anime actually has something to tell and this episode was just sooo soo nice and so beautiful
Nov 10, 2022 7:51 PM
Apr 2022
T3chol3gTr3ndi said:
Smudy said:

In all honesty this is the only anime that I've watched with him in but he is really living up to Toshio Furukawa's Ataru.

He is Otonashi from Angel Beats and Levi from Attack on Titan
Nov 10, 2022 9:14 PM
Jul 2018
For being faitful this isn’t and i kinda wish this dodnt rush the show so much but the visuals are amazing like always so there iscthat
Nov 10, 2022 9:19 PM
Jul 2018
dbaranyi said:
I still feel that Sakura's VA needs to try to make Sakura's voice a bit huskier.

Yeah I really loved the previous voice actors deep voice but whatever
Nov 10, 2022 9:36 PM

May 2019
The first part is just fine with the show reintroducing Sakura as the school nurse although her story is cut short. And for the second part follows the story exactly in the manga. The OG's one is still a bit better because of the Christmas theme which makes it very special. But the end of this episode definitely delivers the handholding scene exceptionally well with the sunset scenery and the gorgeous lighting. I like the small addition of Lum wanting to do handholding after witnessing other couples do it. By Ataru finally reaching her hand, Lum is happy because her small wish is fulfilled and it's great. Hopefully, the planned Kumiko girl will appear again for the Summer date chapter. I'm not sure how to feel about three stories put into one episode though. Nonetheless, this is definitely the best episode so far.

Nov 10, 2022 9:50 PM

Jan 2018
LeoDrago said:
Smudy said:

I get what you mean yeah. Despite me being Gen Z I still grew up watching old cartoons. I’m sure there’s more people in their late teens and early twenties who did then same so that’s probably why this show hits normally for me and for them.

Sadly I don’t think that’ll be the case for future generations with how the entertainment environment is now. They have absolutely no idea what they’re missing out on
I'm a gen Z too and I loved watching Urusei Yatsura 1981 last year. But it may be cause I also grew up watching these sorts of "cartoons." I'm very familiar with the episodic nature of old anime cause I grew up watching shows like Doraemon, Ninja Hattori, Kochikame, and the like on TV. Modern weeaboos who expect another formulaic romcom where a socially awkward guy meets a perfect waifu who'd never talk to him in real life are bound to be disappointed in this show and I've seen a couple of them dropping it before reaching this episode.

As for Maison Ikkoku, I've already seen plenty of people slandering the original anime as is on this site so it wouldn't be anything new. But I don't want a Maison Ikkoku Remake as the original is perfect as is. It's like a time capsule that cannot be replicated, unlike Urusei Yatsura which can have many different interpretations.
Nov 10, 2022 10:32 PM

Feb 2016
Wow, I think Ataru taking all those punches for Lum is the nicest we've ever seen him.

It was interesting to see this chapter of the manga adapted, as I've always loved the '81 anime's "Pitter Patter Christmas Eve" episode (Even though the manga chapter isn't Christmas themed, I think it's one of the original anime's all-time classics)
I love that they still gave a nod to that old episode by making the fake girl's name "Otoko Kumino" instead of the manga's "Shinobi Nobade".
Nov 10, 2022 10:54 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Episode divide en 2 stories!
The first, boxing gloves, was hilarious!
The second, the date, arrived the love?
Well, after the ending, we can find a "papa" call!!! advance for a new episode!!! kekeke
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does this get better or the overall feel of the series can be sensed in it's first episodes?

BiobulletM - Mar 12

7 by 0451 »»
Apr 13, 5:22 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2023

52 by adaminop »»
Apr 5, 9:53 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2023

52 by ArctiKFox »»
Mar 30, 8:00 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2022

98 by Rezete_01 »»
Mar 22, 7:35 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2023

51 by Wiziliz »»
Mar 6, 7:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.