Forum Settings
Forums

What happens if you force yourself to binge watch something?

New
Apr 2, 2022 4:43 PM

Dec 2019
As I'm sure none of you know, I tend to take my time watching anime. A 12 episode anime can easily take months to complete, even if I really like it. But I've wondered how would I feel binge watching something. I could theoretically finish rewatching diamond is unbreakable today (only 8 episodes left). That's 8 22 minute episodes or almost 3 hours of Jojo. So, would I enjoy doing that? I might actually do it tonight, but I might get busy.
Have any of you forced yourself to binge watch something? How did it feel?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2022 5:00 PM

Oct 2020
Personally whenever I force myself to binge I usually lose interest, and either skim through the series or stop watching and watch something else. Though back when I had a lot more free time, I used to prepare for binging (getting comfy + snackies) at which point i wouldn't care what I watch. I think that getting into the vibe of binging helps a lot, though it's different for everyone. If its a show you enjoy that your binging then you'll probably be fine.
Apr 2, 2022 5:01 PM

Jun 2016
I'll be honest, I'll sometimes finish an entire season or two in a day.

On the one hand, it's satisfying to immediately see what happens next, so to speak.

On the other hand, it doesn't allow you time to think about individual episodes.

I never "forced" myself to binge watch anything though. I only do it if I actually want to.

If you're forcing yourself to do anything it's going to feel like an errand and you'll just hate it.
Apr 2, 2022 5:03 PM

Jun 2017
I binge watch whatever anime i watch. If i force myself to binge, it probably means i didn't like it and i'll get bored and skip it and move on.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Apr 2, 2022 5:06 PM

Mar 2022
Don't force yourself if you really don't want to. I did rewatch One Piece from Drum Island up to Oden's backstory last year but that's because I put the manga and the show on hold around Punk Hazard back in 2014.
THE JAPANESE SHOULD STICK TO MAKING CARS AND ANIME - GARY K. JOHNSON

Apr 2, 2022 5:18 PM
May 2021
If I didn't force myself to binge watch, I'd probably never would have finished Naruto and Naruto: Shippuuden.

Then again there are alot of series that I've forced myself to watch because at the time there wasn't anything better to do with COVID and being hospitalized twice.

Currently I'm binge-watching LotGH from 1988, but since I'm doing better I watch a handful of episodes a day. It can become daunting to where you take a break from it, otherwise it's just an endurance challenge that has no real value to it, except maybe self-accomplishment?

Like if someone sat through One Piece?
Apr 2, 2022 5:18 PM

Jun 2019
Normally I do binge anime, but today I did force myself to binge Future Diary. The more I watched it the more I began to hate it and I wanted it to end. I had 7 episodes left today so I pretty much binged them back to back with a couple breaks. Now I feel like I have a big weight off of my shoulders lmao.
Apr 2, 2022 5:21 PM
Dec 2017
it's actually better to binge and complete something than just dropping it, once you start dropping shows it became a bad habit and you'll find yourself watching 30 shows but only completing 1 of them.

i'm talking from my personal experience, whenever i decide to put a show down for a bit, i find it hard to pick it up again and most of the time i just forget about a show that could have been one of my favourites if i had finished it
Apr 2, 2022 5:21 PM

Apr 2020
I can't binge watch shows, I tend to lose interest. The only anime I recently binged though was 86 & only because I got so invested in it.
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Apr 2, 2022 5:22 PM

Mar 2015
I never forced myself to binge watch -- it comes naturally to me, I don't have to exert
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Apr 2, 2022 5:36 PM

Feb 2020
I binge watched only pretty recently actually, as I wanted to break my record (which I've forgotten, 25+ plus something though), as I'd randomly woken up pretty early for me anyway. I ended up finishing 30 episodes, completing 2 Anime in 24hrs, two of the Anime I really enjoyed, but the other one really sucked. I stopped to eat, nap, bathe & touch some grass though.
Apr 2, 2022 5:41 PM

Jun 2021
Depends on the genre. If I binge watch slice of life anime or an anime that has standalone episodes or feels like it(usually comedy genre), I ended up getting bored. So if I'll be watching these kinds of anime, I will only watch 1-2 episodes a day instead of binge watching.
Apr 2, 2022 5:53 PM

Oct 2013
I did that with the first 3 or 4 parts of Jojo. As far as I noticed there were no abnormal brain functions after doing this. However that might be because it was already damaged due to the things I had subjected myself to in the past.
Apr 2, 2022 5:58 PM

Mar 2022
There's only a handful of anime that I got so invested in that I binged out of intense interest in the story, otherwise I usually force myself to binge something I plan to hate watch anyway because I'm a masochist I guess. Whenever I choose to re-watch something I only do 3-4 episodes in a day max because I want to absorb everything and enjoy the experience.
Apr 2, 2022 6:04 PM

May 2021
I never "forced" myself since that's what I always do. Everytime I found an anime to watch I will binge it. Even if I can't finish 12 episodes in a day I still will watch around 7-8 eps or 10. The point is I watch them all straight or as many as I can.

>How would you feel if you binge?
Well you just gotta experience it yourself if you will like it or not 😅 Some ppl avoid that as of being afraid getting burned out. You can stop binging if you starts to feel bored after watching a few many episodes straight.

𝑇𝐼𝑃𝑆 𝐼𝑁 𝐺𝐼𝑁𝑇𝐴𝑀𝐴
- NOT your usual shounen anime
- Pure comedy? DEAD WRONG
- Treat Gintama as SoL/weekly sitcom especially earlier seasons
- Ep 1 & 2 are for manga readers
- BIG patience for its 'slow' start

Apr 2, 2022 8:23 PM
Mar 2022
I tend to forget what ever it is that I binged, and it doesn't feel fun when I do.
Apr 2, 2022 9:23 PM

Dec 2021
I typically enjoy bingeing shows that I like, but if I need to force myself to binge watch something it's typically a show I do not enjoy. Ex: I didn't even realize I had finished the season when I binged Goblin Slayer, but when I had to force myself to finish Bebop it was the least I've paid attention to a show that I haven't already watched.
Apr 2, 2022 9:44 PM

Dec 2019
I don't ever force myself to binge something if I don't wanna watch it I don't lol
Apr 3, 2022 2:16 AM

Sep 2007
pasanoid said:
I never forced myself to binge watch -- it comes naturally to me, I don't have to exert

Same here. If I'm in the mood to binge, then I binge as long I'm enjoying it.
Apr 3, 2022 2:21 AM

Mar 2021
The only times I've binged something it's because I enjoyed it so much and felt the need to watch the next episode immediately. If I ever feel compelled not to binge, then I take a break
Apr 3, 2022 6:42 AM

Sep 2021
I usually only force myself to binge a show if I don't like it. If it's a show I like, I'll wait so I can enjoy it better.
Apr 3, 2022 6:56 AM

Sep 2020
If I am absolutely loving something then I have seen my limits to sit 22 episodes on one free day. Otherwise 2 or 3 episodes a day.
Apr 3, 2022 7:04 AM

May 2021
Apr 3, 2022 7:23 AM

Aug 2020
I dropped them or just simply put it on hold but I only done it one time with Flip Flapper anime...
Apr 3, 2022 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
I get headache whenever I force myself to binge something. But I rarely force myself to binge, most of the time I only watch naturally. If I watch around 8 episodes at once and feel that I am satisfied or exhausted, then I stop.
Apr 3, 2022 7:28 AM

Mar 2022
I'll give a few examples of a few shows that I've binged.

Your Lie in April - I actually didn't really force myself to binge it, I kind of just... accidentally did it. I got way too into the show and had to reevaluate my life choices after realizing that I watched it throughout the ENTIRE NIGHT.

From The New World - Probably one of the shows that you HAVE to take your time on. I watched the majority of it in about two days, and in the end, I was still confused about everything, especially the background of it all. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, I dunno.

Dragon Maid - If you want to make yourself sick from comedy, go ahead and binge it.

Edit: Yeah, this doesn't answer the question at all lol
Forget what you saw today. Also, don’t have anything to do with me under any circumstances. If you understand, then say yes.

Apr 3, 2022 7:30 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
I binge watching if I somehow find it engrossing or it was so terrible that I want to finish it asap. For other normal shows, it would only be 3 episodes at most per day.
Apr 3, 2022 7:37 AM

Sep 2020
Depends on how fast I binge it, but I normally watch 2 episodes at most for a series I'm watching.

But if I'm binging a series I don't like, then I would want to get this over with as soon as possible.
Apr 3, 2022 8:35 AM

Jul 2021
No point in "forcing" that's basically how I watch anime out of my own volition.
Apr 3, 2022 10:01 AM

Nov 2016
Sometimes it's kinda the right thing to do, if you have the reason I think. I had myself some anime filed on my drives for so long and I kinda forced myself to watch it so I can get rid of it. But I remember it turned out to be pleasant.

However, 90% of time, you're just not gonna having a good time watching something without the right moods and attitudes.

Apr 3, 2022 10:42 AM

May 2015
Hmm.. Maybe that one time I saw 20 episodes of City Hunter and ended up having a headache or that other time I saw 12/3 episodes of Fist of the North Star, not really sure as both were YEARS ago, OR that time I forced myself to binge finish the second half(I think) of Ga-Rei Zero a year ago and it ended up in both disappointment and a headache as well, so.. from my experience I'd say a headache is what happens and you can't keep up with what's going on, you easily get lost and miss a lot of what you watch, binge watching isn't worth it unless you're really hooked up and/or cliffhangers keeps you going rather than stopping when you want to. I personally can't do more than 5 this days, and 5 episodes are already too much as is, but sometimes I force myself to go for more if I find myself capable of doing so that is, just to finish the show and get it done with, I can only go for far more for what I mentioned earlier about getting hooked up and cliffhangers and it's only possible with long anime, it's ironic but watching 12 episodes of a single long anime is far easier than finishing a 12 episodes anime.
Between binge watching (specifically too many episodes per day) and taking it slow to better grasp and not miss a single thing and to enjoy something to the fullest, I'd take the latter most of the time.
Apr 3, 2022 10:49 AM

Feb 2021
Like I don't already do it, speedrunning episodes in a 2x speed. That's the reasonable limit, if you care to read the dialogues and sustain immersion.
Apr 3, 2022 10:53 AM

Aug 2013
Force myself to binge something? Why would I do that when I can throw it in the drop list and do something else? Like watching some other anime, reading some manga, playing a game, etc.

I need to be payed in order to force myself to binge some anime. Last time I checked, I don't get payed for watching anime so...
When will Black Clover release new anime?! It has been 3 years already since March 2021...

I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.
Apr 3, 2022 11:17 AM
Aug 2018
I have done it a couple of times with series which are too long to watch on a regular basis for me. A few years into them now i barely remember the characters and the anime. Lesson learned for me, If its a long anime don't binge watch it LOL.
Apr 3, 2022 11:28 AM

Nov 2011
A teenager binge watched anime for 73 hours. This is what happened to his kidney.

M.C. is a 14 year old who really loved watching anime. It's just anime, he thought, as he spent hours upon hours watching anime uninterrupted.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 3, 2022 12:13 PM

Apr 2010
I don't force myself to binge anything. If I naturally want to watch more I will. If not, I will stop.
Apr 3, 2022 12:33 PM

Sep 2019
It starts to feel more like a job than hobby tbh.
Apr 3, 2022 12:45 PM

Sep 2008
I've done it before. this is what happens: you pause an episode somewhere, forget about it and you close the video player hours later without taking a second look.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Apr 4, 2022 3:13 AM

Oct 2008
Whenever I intend on finishing an anime, if it's an interesting one, it'll take me a day.
If it is a boring anime, forcing myself wouldn't work. I'd sooner drop it.
Apr 4, 2022 3:22 AM

Feb 2021
If it is interesting, I can watch all the episodes at once.

If it is average, I won't watch it.
Apr 4, 2022 2:01 PM

Jul 2021
The only time I've forced myself to binge watch anime is when I had a few shows that were mediocre or below sitting around 6-7 eps, I tried to binge watch them all at once, it wasn't fun but I felt it was necessary or else I would never have finished them.
Apr 4, 2022 2:28 PM

May 2011
I forced myself to binge watch "Sora yori mo Tooi Basho", in hope to understand wtf modern fans find to it. Why is it still ranked so damn high? I can agree that there is an interesting educational dimension, but pretty much everything else is just moefag pandering. Being very defensive towards bullshit like this, behaviors from the MCs that I regard as excusable (immature ones typical of teens) and downright vile (trying to bribe their way in to a dangerous expedition, even though any casualties would impact the mission chief's reputation) immediately strike my attention. You see, I never simp out for crap, because I am 0% vulnerable to waifuism, emotional manipulation or ship mentality. To the hell with cute girls doing cute things. I will watch some of them to determine if there is some sort of artistic and narrative evolution, but it's definitely not part of my main course menu.

I have to say, I am surprised I didn't need any beer to allay the pain, unlike with Lucky Star.
Apr 4, 2022 2:48 PM

Mar 2021
a quarter of the anime i watched are me forcing myself to binge it
Apr 4, 2022 2:52 PM

Oct 2011
I binged watch many things and easily finished seasons in a day whether it be 12 episodes or close to 30 episodes. I binged one piece under a month back in 2014 for the first time by watching 400ish English dubbed episodes at the time then catching up with the manga.

So if you have the attention span and concentration then you can. But if you have adhd or get easily bored and distracted then you will have a very hard time doing it and some people just want to watch one episode of different things.

DreamingBeats said:
A teenager binge watched anime for 73 hours. This is what happened to his kidney.

M.C. is a 14 year old who really loved watching anime. It's just anime, he thought, as he spent hours upon hours watching anime uninterrupted.

That sounds like a personal problem or problem from old days if it was true (which I doubt). In this day and age you can easily take your phone or laptop to the washroom and continue watching so you're not holding it in for 73 hours.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
KarinaraApr 4, 2022 3:33 PM
Apr 4, 2022 3:32 PM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
As someone who loves binge watching stuff it's not really me forcing myself to binge stuff. It's more about the fact that when I start, I can't stop and that turns into very unhealthy sleeping hours and just stuff not getting done.
Apr 5, 2022 5:54 PM

Mar 2021
I get bored halfway through watching several episodes at a time, so my limit is watching 6 episodes in a row. Maybe I fall asleep...

Apr 5, 2022 7:43 PM

Nov 2011
chronofantasy said:

DreamingBeats said:

That sounds like a personal problem or problem from old days if it was true (which I doubt). In this day and age you can easily take your phone or laptop to the washroom and continue watching so you're not holding it in for 73 hours.

it was a reference to
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChubbyemuGames
although i know you already noticed it.

as for the topic at hand, the longest i watched was probably around 2 hours or so.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

Apr 5, 2022 7:45 PM

Oct 2011
DreamingBeats said:
chronofantasy said:

it was a reference to
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChubbyemuGames
although i know you already noticed it.

as for the topic at hand, the longest i watched was probably around 2 hours or so.

That's very low. I easily watched 20 hours sometimes.
Apr 5, 2022 7:49 PM

Oct 2014
I've definitely forced myself to binge anime before and it isn't very enjoyable. If you don't care about the show and it's not like you were going to enjoy it anyway then you can go ahead and binge it to add it to your list, but if it's a show you actually expect to like then it's a waste to binge it if you don't want to do that.
Apr 5, 2022 7:52 PM

Nov 2011
chronofantasy said:

That's very low. I easily watched 20 hours sometimes.

20 hours? wow, that's some serious dedication. i like watching anime, but not to that extent.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Great Anime that have 5 seasons or more that is underwatched.

RjtheGreat14 - May 3

22 by TRC_Randy »»
24 seconds ago

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime

rohan121 - 1 hour ago

16 by Jcmixer27 »»
32 seconds ago

» Do you see there being another Ecchi Anime as critically acclaimed as Mushoku Tensei in the future?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

10 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
9 minutes ago

» Why are modern anime fights so awful?

_Nette_ - 56 minutes ago

4 by tchitchouan »»
10 minutes ago

» What's the craziest plot twist you've ever come across in an anime?

Nanami0007 - Today

18 by Toooooooooohru »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.