Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 23, 2022 2:38 PM

Jan 2017
All seasonals especially romcom are trash now. Even that cosplay anime that everyone keeps talking about nowadays:- "Oh look at that waifu, she is so cute". Sad to see the only thing that keeps anime going are trash waifus and boring plots. Where are the seasonal anime with interesting plot? Anime just became sort of an "escapism" from real life. Good story-telling is lost. Sad really.

swirlydragonJan 23, 2022 2:46 PM

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 23, 2022 2:42 PM

Mar 2019
> Where are the seasonal anime with interesting plot?
here

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Jan 23, 2022 2:48 PM
Apr 2016
swirlydragon said:
All seasonals especially romcom are trash now. Even that cosplay anime that everyone keeps talking about nowadays:- "Oh look at that waifu, she is so cute". Sad to see the only thing that keeps anime going are trash waifus and boring plots. Where are the seasonal anime with interesting plot? Anime just became sort of an "escapism" from real life. Good story-telling is lost. Sad really.

Just wait for Spy x Family coming this spring, it will be awesome

Maybe we reached the point where we already made absolutely every plot possible in animes?
Franck_NicolasJan 23, 2022 2:53 PM
Jan 23, 2022 2:51 PM

Jul 2019
To be honest, this winter season is boring as hell and AoT ain't cutting it since I know the underwhelming ending already. Making everything I'm seeing pointless. I'm excited for the next season of anime.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 23, 2022 2:55 PM

Feb 2019
swirlydragon said:

There are great ones, the ones you mention or see are only surface level.
What do you mean these days cause Odd Taxi was great last year, or do you mean this season cause Vanitas no Karte is great too.

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Jan 23, 2022 3:17 PM

Oct 2018
But aren't anime all about waifu?

Do you want me to believe that Re:Zero and Code Geass have good plot and characters, they're not about Emilia vs Rem and C.C vs Karen?
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 23, 2022 3:20 PM

Jan 2017
Phosphophyllita said:

Do you want me to believe that Re:Zero and Code Geass have good plot and characters, they're not about Emilia vs Rem and C.C vs Karen?

You can call those anime trash and I wouldn't argue tbh. However, I liked Code Geass' unique story.

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jan 23, 2022 3:24 PM

Aug 2019
gone, the meta of anime has changed and you either adapt or get left behind

but yeah, personally I am enjoying this season with shows like Takagi, Slow Loop, Police in a Pod, Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department, Re:Dive, Rust-Eater Bisco, Akebi's Sailor Uniform and a bunch of others; but of course you can’t please everyone so it sucks you don’t enjoy the stuff that airs nowadays

good thing there are literal hundreds of anime from other years to choose from :)
snowykevinJan 23, 2022 3:30 PM
Jan 23, 2022 3:25 PM

Dec 2021
Odd taxi.
But name-dropping aside, I kinda see your point but also don't agree with it. I think it's way simpler: anime production today is esponentially bigger than back then. If before you got, Idk, 1/2 good anime out of 10 seasonal, now the good ones are even more, but the seasonals number increase is incredibly larger, so they become more difficult to find. There always has been mediocre or shitty anime together with great anime, now the proportion is just different, but not because there's less good anime I think
Jan 23, 2022 3:32 PM
Jun 2021
swirlydragon said:

Hyperproduction. It's not the 80s and the 90s anymore, when every production involved a ton of drawing labor. Also the market for anime really changed from being a more catch-all form of entertainment intended for the family towards a pro-otaku standpoint, which of course involves standard wish-fulfilment characters. (Female and male alike).
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jan 23, 2022 3:35 PM
Jun 2021
swirlydragon said:
Phosphophyllita said:

You can call those anime trash and I wouldn't argue tbh. However, I liked Code Geass' unique story.

Code Geass' story is quite literally a Zeta Gundam "rebellion" story done a bajillion times by Sunrise.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jan 23, 2022 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
Its quite simple really, money.

They can make more by constantly pumping out shitty series instead of putting effort into making a good plot
Jan 23, 2022 3:38 PM

Mar 2021
swirlydragon said:

I think a good amount of users in this community expects too much from this industry. At most I have only ever seen about a little over a dozen titles released between 1970-2020 with extremely interesting and unique plots and over all a streamline story captivating enough to be viewed in my eyes as some sort of master piece or at least close enough to one. Good story telling has never really been a true credo for this medium.

If you are really looking for a really good story, I would forget trying to rely on Anime and go out and start reading more literature.

For all the things Anime isn't limited to, the one thing it has been lacking since the mid 90's is true sense of freedom for creativity beyond commercialization.

One thing that stands true about Anime is that since it's inception it's always meant to be just "escapism" and at least that hasn't changed in over the past 3 decades that I have been watching anime.
Jan 23, 2022 3:49 PM
Anime Emperor

Jan 2019
It's a shame but that's how the industry is at the moment (and maybe always has been, tbh). Almost no one is even aiming to make a good story, just some quick cash with easy baits like different animation style, battles or waifus. The worst is when a good idea isn't developed well because authors are pressured to release stuff on schedules, or just because the producers don't care about happens afterwards as long as it sounds like it'll make people bite from volume 1.

Despite this, there are a few gems from time to time, so if you limit yourself to up to 5 anime per season and pick wisely, you'd probably avoid average or below average anime.
Jan 23, 2022 3:51 PM

May 2018
"Why all anime are trash nowadays?"

Because this is what we deserve for following the trashiest shows from the previous years...the producers have reached to some conclusions about our low standards.
alshuJan 24, 2022 12:17 AM
Jan 23, 2022 3:53 PM

Jun 2020
I don't know I don't follow seasonals anymore
Jan 23, 2022 4:00 PM

May 2015
Complains about all new seasonals being trash and has Re.Zero in their favorites
Jan 23, 2022 4:01 PM

Jan 2020
Good anime is slightly rare but it seems this season is kinda trash , look at sonny boy and odd taxi from last year great shows still exist
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2022 4:01 PM

Dec 2020
-Mention- said:
> Where are the seasonal anime with interesting plot?
here

You gotta respect the shameless plugging
Jan 23, 2022 4:27 PM

Apr 2020
I've found a few that I like or keep up with, but mainly I read manga
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Jan 23, 2022 4:44 PM

May 2021
It's not as if the past was littered with good shows each season; it's a culmination of good shows across the years. We can agree to disagree, but there are still great anime being made every now and then both in terms of story and animation. It does seem like there is more garbage now than it was back then, but that's because there are more shows coming out now compared to the past.
Jan 23, 2022 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
"Where are the seasonal anime with interesting plot?".

Gone, reduced to atoms. The only closest way is to stop watching seasonals.
Jan 23, 2022 4:58 PM

Feb 2021
Most new anime are trash because newer Japanese people don't know to write good stories
Jan 23, 2022 7:12 PM

Oct 2017
And you are the authority on good writing? The industry for better or worse has always been fairly stagnant. People who talk about some idealized past of the medium focusing on quality writing are just blinded by nostalgia.

You are whining about shit that people were whining about a decade ago (older than most of the content you have seen). People were complaining moe had overtaken the industry due to K-On! and Haruhi and all good anime was lost. They argued people only cared about anime girls. They probably are going to whining about the same shit another decade from now and talk about how the 2010s were so amazing with Vinland Saga, March or Ping Pong and people again only care about vapid stuff.

If you feel that way stop whining about the fact you can't find interesting titles and just leave. IDK OP I have found plenty of titles that focus on "story" within the last few years maybe pick better stuff. It's easy to cherry pick.

Same shit different day with threads like this.

Edit: I mean you are even complaining anime is just escapism lol. Video Girl Ai and NGE were complaining about the same problem. So when wasn't it just escapism? It's always been always will be.
BilboBaggins365Jan 23, 2022 7:29 PM
Jan 23, 2022 7:28 PM

Jan 2013
You haven't even watched that much of anything, there's tons of classic anime if you don't like the modern stuff.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 23, 2022 7:37 PM
Aug 2018
This particular season is the worst season anime-wise I've ever lived through. They're genuinely and objectively all terrible.

Ranking of kings is good, but that started last season so I kind of don't really count it as this season's anime.
Jan 23, 2022 7:39 PM

Aug 2021
I mean, Ranking of Kings, Sonny Boy, and Odd Taxi were recent seasonals with amazing plotlines. There may be less deeper or thought-provoking seasonals around nowadays, but you can't say that they're completely nowhere to be found.
Jan 23, 2022 7:41 PM
Nov 2016
If the anime nowadays are trash to you, you unfortunately is not the target audience.
Jan 23, 2022 7:43 PM
Nov 2016
TransparentNinja said:
They're genuinely and objectively all terrible.

>objectively all terrible
very funny take
Jan 23, 2022 7:58 PM

Jan 2021
W dude, one of the people that's actually aware of bad animes nowadays
Jan 23, 2022 8:32 PM

Jan 2019
I don’t get it - Rent A Girlfriend is anything but trash! What about Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki? Tonikawa is adorable too! Not sure but I feel like most rom-coms nowadays are just as good, if not better, than older shows. Every season there’s at least one really cute looking rom-com that captures my attention.
Jan 23, 2022 8:59 PM

Oct 2018
True. I miss all those interesting animes that had good storylines like Your Lie on April, FMAB, Plastic Memories, etc. Only March Comes Like a Lion S3 will save me from this oblivion.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Jan 23, 2022 9:25 PM

Mar 2021

why all threads are trash nowadays?
Jan 23, 2022 11:28 PM

Jul 2013
Because the anime industry is running out of ideas and it seems that future Macross movies is the only good idea they got left. Still, that's the industry revisiting old franchises and the future Star Blazers remake sequel movie counts too.

Sunrise will be making a Gundam SEED movie, but again, that's revisiting old franchises and timelines. What we really want is a new action franchise and definitely not that waifu-themed, mindless dweeb pandering garbage the OP is talking about.

Still no sign of Gonzo coming back with the tremendous amounts of creativity they had in the 2000s. Instead, Japan is in the middle of a creativity crisis.
Jan 23, 2022 11:32 PM

Jul 2017
There's been ton of trashy anime even in the 80s, 90s, 00s, etc. It just feels more apparent due to the amount of shows airing each season compared to the past and how anime's much more relevant now to discuss with more people than ever watching all kinds of seasonals beyond just the most popular stuff. I just try to look for whatever's good among all eras without having a preference for a specific one since all have flaws. Whether it's a trashy isekai or a trashy mecha series.
Jan 23, 2022 11:39 PM

Jul 2021
Well there is always a lot of classics you can watch in your preferred year instead of following new seasonals but I always try to pick a certain show which I find it interesting and aftermath can be good or bad, it's based on my enjoyment and if I don't like it, I'd remove it from my watch list / drop it but so far so good in my end.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jan 23, 2022 11:41 PM
Mar 2018
I think there's always one anime per season that is worth watching, but now that you say so, I haven't really seen anything refreshing in a while. I can't quite think of anything remarkable other than Mushoku Tensei, which is quite controvert.
I remember enjoying the first few episodes of DitF tbh but yeah, most of all of the new anime are 1 season isekais to advertise their source material. Kinda sad.
Jan 23, 2022 11:47 PM

Sep 2018
Anime is, and has mostly been about selling average stories with additional weeb pandering that seperates it from other mediums. I like anime for this reason, but it can put off people when they start seeing how most anime recycles a lot of content from other series. This is why mean anime scores drop as you watch more anime since normally passable series can be taken as generic bootlegs.
Jan 23, 2022 11:57 PM

Oct 2010
how is ex-arm trash?
it's one of the best anime ever made, on par with chargeman ken
Jan 24, 2022 12:02 AM

Feb 2020
Someone posts this take every week, bruh.
Jan 24, 2022 12:08 AM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
There are plenty of good anime being released each season, you either have a very narrow taste or you are simply not an anime fan anymore.
Seeing how you only completed 154 and dropped rezero while giving it a 10 I'm betting on the latter.

WillinglyGiven said:
Someone posts this take every week, bruh.

The worst part is this kind of people don't even watch anime while complaining that everything is trash, it's like opening a full fridge and saying there is nothing to eat.
Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Jan 24, 2022 12:11 AM

Mar 2021
@swirlydragon

One thing I have noticed is your signature banner, and from what I gather from it is you are probably a big enough Re:Zero fan to take the time to make that your specific banner.

The "concept" of Re:Zero isn't even original in itself, because it's basically the whole live-die-repeat thing that has been done before in a Movie called "Edge of Tomorrow". Which is actually an adaptation of the Japanese light novel called "All You Need Is Kill". Even the concept was taken from a movie even earlier then that called "Groundhog Day" back in the early 90's where Bill Murray kept re-living the same day over and over again.

I am not saying that Anime can't have "Good story-telling" but it's unrealistic to expect even a moderate amount of titles released seasonally to be even on a Re:Zero level (if you would consider that to be "Good story-telling" to begin with). I personally enjoyed watching Re:Zero and found it entertaining but I didn't think of it as anything more then "escapism" when I originally watched it. There are just far better stories to find in literature then there are in Anime.

Like others have suggested, some of the best Anime out with good story telling are usually those from the past. It's also become extremely rare for there to ever be actual original stories created in general these days since it's safe to say that over 95% of all anime released seasonally is adapted from something else.
Jan 24, 2022 12:15 AM

Jun 2016
Anime these days focus on quantity over quality as there is a competition in overseas to make the most money out of it so they are just churning out shows in a hope that few will land as gold mine and sadly most are either mid or complete trash but in a pile of trash there are few good ones, like this season there is this show called sabikui bisco and ngl it looks bit interesting and so far 2 episodes didn't disappoint.
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Jan 24, 2022 12:38 AM

May 2019
If you are looking for great storytelling anime is not the best medium. Western shows have way better writing. Books are also a great option.

Most anime are mediocre but still a lot of fun. :)
Jan 24, 2022 12:47 AM

Oct 2017
Skirroz98_NL said:
If you are looking for great storytelling anime is not the best medium. Western shows have way better writing. Books are also a great option.

Most anime are mediocre but still a lot of fun. :)

Books maybe so many great classics and content just from the ease of the medium itself. Western TV shows? I haven't found many that could eclipse LOTGH or March there are a few just like the real gems within this medium but that is true everywhere. Still those gems standout. The SOL genre in general has better quality and more variety here than anywhere else in my experience.

Anime is not more mediocre written than any other medium in terms of actual % of good content and when taking into account what the market is aimed at. Honestly one reason I like anime so much is if you are looking for good YA media anime honestly is going to be a better bet than some if not most YA storytelling out West. If you are looking for adult fiction though yeah there are better places to look but it's mainly due to a lack of true adult targeted content than anything. Certain genres too have issues. I like mil fiction but in large anime isn't the best medium for that.

BilboBaggins365Jan 24, 2022 12:52 AM
Jan 24, 2022 1:00 AM
Jun 2020
this forum be like

"title.question=..."

"reply inserted" <- always wrong somehow

so, let me correct it.
why is anime ##### nowadays? simply because it never was good, haha.
Jan 24, 2022 1:06 AM

Jan 2021
MuZe- said:
It's not as if the past was littered with good shows each season; it's a culmination of good shows across the years. We can agree to disagree, but there are still great anime being made every now and then both in terms of story and animation. It does seem like there is more garbage now than it was back then, but that's because there are more shows coming out now compared to the past.

Ahh yes finally something I agree to.
Jan 24, 2022 1:24 AM
Jul 2018
MuZe- said:
just Last year's 169 shows were released but to back to pre 2000 you will get only 30-60 shows a years.
Jan 24, 2022 1:35 AM
Jul 2018
Siphlorus said:
this forum be like

"title.question=..."

"reply inserted" <- always wrong somehow

so, let me correct it.
why is anime ##### nowadays? simply because it never was good, haha.
SEKAIIIIII! Anime was never good in the first place. It was a cheaper alternative to Disney cartoons to broadcast on Japanese Television.
removed-userJan 24, 2022 1:44 AM
Jan 24, 2022 1:41 AM

Mar 2020
Another dude who thinks his opinion = everyones elses
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

18 by Absurdo_N »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

115 by Voila_ »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 54 minutes ago

7 by Paul »»
7 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

7 by IpreferEcchi »»
9 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

8 by Zefyris »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.