Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 44 Discussion

Apr 4, 2010 5:29 PM

THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
So, " ripple " is like ki (the name made me chuckle a few times.)
Good ending, though I wouldn't have mind a couple of character development chapters between Jo and Dio to make me care about their dead more.
6-7/10 Good start. Several times the action scenes looked confusing (probably because I watched Hokuto No Ken first), I hope he improves.

Modified by TuzoAnime, Apr 4, 2010 5:34 PM

Dec 12, 2011 4:03 AM

It was rather average and incredibly generic i'd say. I could give half a fuck about the ending because the mangaka never even bothered to illustrate the relationship between Jojo and Dio. Still, I've heard countless times that this is the worse of the series and it gets oh, so much better later on.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Dec 15, 2011 12:41 AM

insan3soldiern said:
It was rather average and incredibly generic i'd say. I could give half a fuck about the ending because the mangaka never even bothered to illustrate the relationship between Jojo and Dio. Still, I've heard countless times that this is the worse of the series and it gets oh, so much better later on.

Yeah part 1 is drastically different from the rest, when 'stand' powers start appearing in the story (part 3 I think?), the battles are insane and the most creative I've seen put to page. They make stuff like Naruto and One Piece look childish in comparison.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Sep 28, 2012 4:20 PM

Their relationship should have been more developed, that's true. But the death still looked pretty awesome. My biggest complain would be Speed Wagon. He had absolutely no role than being the guy that has to repeat whatever is happening. I see why they removed him from that unreleased movie. It'd be pretty much the same without him.

I agree that the manga was average and the story could have used some work. But since this was supposed to be the weakest part, I'd give the sequels a try for sure.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Apr 13, 2013 7:08 AM

I REALLY enjoyed this.At first I wasn't fond of JJBA,but,Now I'm excited for part 2!
Poor jonathan QQ

Overall: 7.3/10.
Modified by Canute, Apr 13, 2013 9:17 AM

Jul 15, 2013 9:36 AM

Well, I expected much more. In terms of character development, the manga is terrible. I hope the series get better in the sequels.

Jul 26, 2015 1:21 AM

Thus ends Phantom Blood, with our dead hero hugging the still living decapitated hero of his fated rival. To put my thoughts succinctly, Phantom Blood sucks.

But to be more verbose, Phantom Blood really sucks. Since it's been brought up before, characters, their development is basically non-existent & their relationships aren't well-explored, if explored at all. The "core" dynamic between Dio & Jonathan is really all that needs to observed, as it was basically just pure evil versus pure good. To be fair, I do think in terms of a despising, dastardly son of a bitch, Dio fits the build well enough. This isn't to be confused with him being an interesting character but he's not intended to be anything deeper than a personification of evil & it works. Jonathan on the other hand, is suppose to be the polar opposite, similar to how Hamon is the opposite of the Stone Mask. This, is a little more frustrating because simply put, the goody two-shoes character is always more annoying to deal with than the mustache twirling villain. The reason for this is because the focus is primarily on the good guy, not the villain. So what we're left with is a bland protagonist to root for, one devoid of personality outside of his gentleman shtick. The relationship between the two doesn't really extend past this either, they grew up together but we spend next to no time witnessing that time, only getting the very beginning & the very end of their time at the Joestar manor. Speaking in terms of characters, they only exist to showcase that one is evil, the other is good & they're fated to fight.

Looking past those two leaves us with a myriad of non-characters who at best, get a little more development than their archetype, for example, love interest Erina gets nothing, doomed to death mentor Zeppeli gets a little (though his relationship with JoJo is horribly executed if we're suppose to buy the whole "father/son" connection Zeppeli mentioned while dying). Not that any of the side characters really matter all that much, Jonathan is the one who does everything. At most, Zeppeli is given a moment or two, like a completely irrelevant moment of dealing with the debris of Bruford's armor or a plot point like given his power to Jonathan to help beat Dio.

This is one of my problems with the story though considering it's length, it's a little more forgivable. One of my biggest problems with the story is that after awhile it just becomes an arcade run. The only plot that exists is the heroes traveling from Fight A to Fight B. None of the fights are particularly memorable either, so it's doesn't even begin to balance out. I've touched on this in an earlier thread but the "bizarre" aspects of this part aren't well-incorporated. Bruford's death sequence is a prime example, with the "Pluck" oddness muddled the sentiment the scene was trying to go for while failing to delivering a successful punchline because of the timing. It's the most prominent example but it's not the only one. Dire somehow living as a decapitated head, capable of flinging a rose from his mouth to Dio's eye is certainly bizarre but it also destroys any impact from his defeat. Course there wasn't any impact from his defeat to begin with since he randomly debuted like a chapter or two prior with no foreshadowing but I digress. Ultimately this leads to a very boring experience.

Visually, the series is decent. Some panels contained really messed up proportions but there were some really good art in there, as well as some good poses. It's not as good as the later parts but then again, that's par for the course. It's a shame some people drop after here and don't get to experience just how good it gets later on, particularly Part 4 (about half-way through & it's my favorite part so far) but I definitely understand them. Phantom Blood puts up a pretty dissuading argument to starting the series. 4/10.
Modified by Terrestrious, Jul 26, 2015 2:23 PM

Current status: Episodes 1-4 Done.
Steven Universe Reviews, current status: Episodes 79-128 Done. Recommended Review: Bismuth.
Samurai Jack Reviews, current status: Episodes I-X Done. Recommended Review: Jack and The Three Blind Archers.

Sep 24, 2015 4:55 AM

I can´t add anything that hasn´t already been said,so I make it short.It just hasn´t aged all that well.I read it in full color,but the art and the character anatomy was still bad in my opinion,as well as the story and the character development.But it wasn´t all that long and there were some enjoyable moments,I felt like I was watching an 80´s trash movie,so I can´t be too harsh.
But I heard,that the later parts are much greater than this.From what I´ve seen the art gets drastically better too and I joined for the fabulous stands in the first place,so I´m definitely going to read the next part(s).

Apr 10, 2016 4:09 PM
Gin no Tamashii

Overall, this is the weakest storyline in the JoJo series. But the ending was awesome though (^_^)

4/5

May 7, 2016 9:54 AM

R.I.P Jonathan "JoJo" Joestar", a true gentleman to the very end.

This part was overall ok for it's time, probably wouldn't had like it as much if I didn't watch the anime version before.

Oct 6, 2016 11:39 AM
THE WHOLE SERIES WAS SO EPIC! I'm going to start the 2nd part soon, I hope it's good.

Jan 29, 6:12 AM

That scene when JoJo is hugging Dio's head will be probably one of my most favorite scenes ever.

Jun 16, 2:28 PM
Beatnik said:
insan3soldiern said:

Yeah part 1 is drastically different from the rest, when 'stand' powers start appearing in the story (part 3 I think?), the battles are insane and the most creative I've seen put to page. They make stuff like Naruto and One Piece look childish in comparison.
Even hamon gets more developed in part 2 but still i thought part 1 was great the battle were well stablished and for the short time this was the characters were greatly developed

Oct 22, 6:30 AM
All in all I'd say it was pretty weak. Even for the 'battle' genre.
The over the top and parody-esque themes of the battles made me exited for the upcoming parts though.

All in all I'd give the series a weak 5/10 so far, but with the knowledge that this is the lowest score it'll ever have.