Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2012 3:30 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Well the outcome was pretty much obvious and the chapter was useless.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 17, 2012 2:32 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, it's dumb to introduce these characters only to kill them just like this.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 12, 2013 12:18 PM

Sep 2011
wow that was fast. I don't understand why introduce a new character just to kill him in the next chapter.
Apr 10, 2016 3:44 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Lol, that scar isn't the only thing Dio will get.

4/5
May 7, 2016 7:29 AM

Aug 2014
Lol seriously, what was the point of introducing these characters?
Dec 18, 2017 10:10 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
In the first round, Dire died!!! :/
Feb 12, 2018 11:26 AM

Dec 2015
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
it's dumb to introduce these characters only to kill them just like this.

ViniSD said:
why introduce a new character just to kill him in the next chapter.

Because the author is the God of his fictional worlds? More seriously, it had never been shown that the characters were here to stay, and Dire served his purpose in the story: he gave an important insight to Jonathan.
+ even more importantly: he offered us another Jojo-ridiculousness scene with his head living and attacking with his last breath, after the last moment of Mr.Zeppeli. More !

4/5

Why is Viz Jojonium calling Straits Straitzo? Adding the "o" of the japanese "sho" would be understandable if it was only to prevent a copright infringement. But a "zo"?
May 4, 2018 12:21 PM

Feb 2017
That shot of Dio trying to look cool around a group of horribly disfigured zombies.
Aug 10, 2018 12:59 AM

Dec 2015
Lol, his head was still alive xDD
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 5, 2018 9:46 PM

May 2016
After seeing what Jonathan's capable of against his fodder minions, Dio realized that he'd want to fight Jojo all by himself.

Dire charged right in with superhuman speed and did an improved version of his sognature move that's never been countered before but Dio instantly froze and shattered him on the spot. It looked like Hamon made Dire last that long with his head off and even managed to deal some damage before he died.

Dec 5, 2018 8:04 AM

Feb 2013
Lol, that was fast, I thought Dire would do more damage to Dio.
Sep 12, 2019 6:04 PM

Jun 2016
I wanted to see a loss of innocence in Jonathan but I didn't think it would have been as extreme as this chapter. It reminds me of the line in Devilman Crybaby “my tears have dried up”. As soon as he said the line “I’ll feel no guilt for killing you” my jaw dropped. Then to mock the late Zeppeli sent Jonathan to do something rather unbecoming of a gentleman, to show his intense anger and claim openly how eager he is to kill Dio. He was broken when his father died at Dio’s hand but it wasn’t like this, no, he still had some sentimentality in ending their youth together there at the mansion. Here he feels bloodthirsty and it helps that he slammed a zombies face in like it was nothing prior. Ever since Dio got the mask I’ve been wanting to see him lose to a “mere human” that he had surpassed, I hope it comes.

I haven’t really been explicit about this because I wasn’t sure if my feelings would change, but Jonathan got stale for me after his father died. I had “gotten” him at that point and he was a silent and determined type who was good for a fast moving plot like this but I’d stopped caring about him. I would rather focus on other characters like Zeppeli and Speedwagon who were still having developing relationships and characters. I prefer characters who I learn something new about every single chapter whereas Jonathan I felt had layers but once you got to know them they stopped. His relationship with Zeppeli and Speedwagon had already begun to be well defined whereas Dio had a curious and developing relationship with Jonathan yet he left so I was sad. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Jonathan in that period, I liked him but I wanted more. However, this loss of innocence and pained, brutal Kenshiro-type Jonathan that has formed from the loss of Zeppeli and Bruford and continued with fleshing out this relationship that has gone so far was all I needed. All I could have ever wanted.

Interestingly, despite me being worried that the Zeppeli gang would be fodder so that Dio could show off his strength, I actually loved what happened here. Everyone here is fuming, Zeppeli’s dear friends, disciples, and probably Tonpeti as an actual father figure. Dire has known him forever and he wanted to be the one to take on Dio, to avenge him and the display he showed was impeccable. Even if Straights totally set him up to lose with “no one has ever defeated it”, Dire showed off his true strength and froze regardless to be brutally shattered. Jonathan brilliantly puts away the tragedy that has encompassed him for his duty but out of nowhere, like Zeppeli himself, Dire gives his all while cut apart and spits a freaking ripple imbued rose into Dio’s eye! An unexpected and damaging blow with a smile on his face as he breathes his last breath. I won’t question the use of hamon with a decapitated head, maybe he had a breath stored, but I will say that was a great attempt for a fallen friend and I’m glad he went out so strong.

Two minor things, I loved seeing Dio’s sadism and love of power. Some of those panels where he was popping off with sick joy were great! And just like how it's great to see Jonathan refuse to back down, it's great to see something that Dio embraced even as a kid when he loved the feeling of beating Jonathan in the mansion. The other is that I hope Speedwagon, after being through all of this as a support and being pained to not help more, gets a really good shot on Dio. Something that could determine the fight. Even if not that extreme, Speedwagon is the guy who carries Zeppeli’s hat. He's hurt and disgusted as everyone else is, and he could already barely look at Dio after what he did in the mansion.
Oct 27, 2019 3:02 PM

Sep 2018
Phantom Blood, Chapter 38. The best JoJo character has died.
Rest in pieces, Dire.
Stop wasting time on MAL, go watch Planet With!
Nov 24, 2019 3:23 AM
Jul 2018
Dire died but managed to at least take his revenge by scaring Dio's face!
Nov 11, 2020 9:14 AM

Jul 2019
You fell for it fool!

But damn, that is the fastest death I have seen ever. rip Dire.
Jan 30, 2021 8:49 AM

Sep 2011
lol
The guy was still alive just with his head remaining, and then froze out of nowhere.

Dio is a dangerous enemy. They should attack all at the same time.
Nov 17, 2023 3:31 AM

Apr 2020
He just died like a fly...

More topics from this board

» Debunking Araki Forgot by Hamon Beat

animalia - Apr 11

0 by animalia »»
Apr 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 1 Discussion

accela - Sep 1, 2009

33 by Yassinecss »»
Mar 14, 6:47 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 7 Discussion

Alipio - Dec 19, 2010

20 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:38 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 5 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 23, 2009

31 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:35 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 4 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 23, 2009

26 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.