Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 30, 2021 12:01 AM
Aug 2021
The Isekai rating is a great rating based on the writer's imagination - so as explained in the title, Nobody forces you to watch something. I don't like shoujo but I know it's aimed at its own audience so it's enough to annoy people about the things they like.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 30, 2021 12:05 AM

Jun 2016
No but people still have the right to complain about the prevalence of crap light novel adaptations.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 30, 2021 12:05 AM
Jul 2018
You can just ignore them right?​​​​
Aug 30, 2021 12:06 AM

Jul 2007
It's mostly the over saturation of the genre which is causing concern in some people. They don't have to watch it and wont, but now that we are getting isekai about basically everything, including a gorilla getting reincarnated as a waifu, the concern is justified.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 30, 2021 12:07 AM
Jul 2018
The same goes for non-isekai anime that they find hatable.
Aug 30, 2021 12:08 AM

Dec 2016
That's true, but there is a need for a genre or a group that has to bullied
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Aug 30, 2021 12:23 AM

Jan 2021
Nice blog, doesn't remove me the right to bully them.
Kazari29Aug 30, 2021 12:30 AM
Aug 30, 2021 1:36 AM

Feb 2019
HikiSanpai said:
The Isekai rating is a great rating based on the writer's imagination - so as explained in the title, Nobody forces you to watch something. I don't like shoujo but I know it's aimed at its own audience so it's enough to annoy people about the things they like.

You forget that the genre of Isekai is not the Double Slit Experiment. They don't spontaneously improve when one's back is turned.

If bad shows exist, then it's entirely acceptable, nay, required, to critique that fact. The same is true for those that watch them compulsively. If you don't want to get "annoyed," get better taste.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Aug 30, 2021 3:28 AM

Jun 2016
But i have right to speak my opinion towards isekai, i chose to watch it and i also chose to
speak my opinion no matter if it's shit or not, and please ignore people shitting on your favourite genre
as you can't justify your liking to that thing if that same thing is disliked by certain someone.

My fav is Mushishi and if someone thinks it's trash i am not going to argue with him/her why it's good as
it's his opinion and he is welcome to have that opinion on mushishi, and honestly you will save a lot of brain power if you chose to ignore stuff.
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Aug 30, 2021 3:38 AM

Apr 2019
It doesn't change the fact that most suck.
Aug 30, 2021 3:56 AM
Dec 2019
HikiSanpai said:
The Isekai rating is a great rating based on the writer's imagination

I'm rather worried about the lack of imagination.
Aug 30, 2021 3:56 AM

Feb 2018
Are you kidding me? You want me to stop complaining about people enjoying different Japanese cartoons?
You want me to just move on and let people have their fun? How am I supposed to establish my superior knowledge and tastes of Japanese cartoons by not talking down to people that like different stuff?
You must be jesting, now excuse me but my tendies are here and I need to write a 3000 word essay why you're not allowed to like Shield Hero.
Aug 30, 2021 4:04 AM

Apr 2015
You could say the same thing about anything but that is not how people behave.
Aug 30, 2021 4:15 AM

Feb 2020
While I do agree that Isekai anime get a lot more hate than it should people are still entitled to their opinions. Yeah they don't have to watch it and I don't think it's fair to say isekai in general is bad. I don't like harems but I don't say the whole genre is crap.
Aug 30, 2021 4:51 AM

May 2018
"Nobody is forcing you to watch Isekai"

I think OP assumes too much.
Aug 30, 2021 4:56 AM
Jul 2018
It's kind of pointless to be frustrated about it. Some people just like to complain about stuff that they can easily ignore.
Aug 30, 2021 5:00 AM

Jul 2020
Ah the same old "Don't like it don't watch it" type argument.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 30, 2021 5:09 AM

Mar 2019
"Nobody is forcing you to watch Isekai"

I know, and I'm sure (at least) most people know it too.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Aug 30, 2021 5:10 AM

Oct 2010
nobody is forcing me to reply to this thread
Aug 30, 2021 5:14 AM

Nov 2018
Who the faq have power to force me watching, I don't even like.
And man ppl shit or not. Author don't give a shit.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Aug 30, 2021 5:19 AM

Mar 2016
Yeah that's right. But meta are always the easiest things to be complained about. Isekai theme were actually saturated at this point. Personally, i still had good time enjoyed it because i don't watched them too much. Diversing your taste is the point here.

Remember when people shitting about harem around 2015? That's the similar situation right now.

Aug 30, 2021 5:27 AM

Feb 2020
Mmmh... That's right, but it doesn't change the fact that it sucks. :|
Aug 30, 2021 11:59 AM
Mar 2021
no but it's very not cool what a large percentage of Summer offerings are isekai.
Aug 30, 2021 12:14 PM

Mar 2020
You just only bring more hate towards isekai ... op 😑

Mals obsession with isekai thread almost rivals vs battles obsession with low 1c outerversal beings ngl
Aug 30, 2021 12:16 PM

Feb 2016
Still waiting an anime/hentai of jk haru is a sex worker in another world.
The battle is over.
Show respect for the fallen
who fought so bravely.
Aug 30, 2021 8:24 PM

Jan 2020
I'll still watch them regardless. There are occasional ones that I do enjoy

Aug 31, 2021 3:15 AM

Feb 2021
Jeez just let us hate and shit on things we don't like, will you? Nobody's forcing you read all these hate comments on isekai.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Aug 31, 2021 4:01 AM

May 2009
So we've gotten enough isekai hate threads that we're getting an isekai hate thread hate thread. Can we get an isekai hate thread hate thread hate thread next?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 31, 2021 11:52 AM

Aug 2009
HikiSanpai said:
- so as explained in the title, Nobody forces you to watch something.

Thats right. I agree .If someone doesn't like a particular genre then shouldn't watch it. I don't care for the Michael Vick shows like Pokemon where people capture animals/monsters; train them and fight them against other people's animals/monsters. I don't care for sports anime. Nor do I care for yaoi/homosexual love anime.But I am not going to make a thread bitching about those genre and pretending I have the best taste in the world wen it comes to anime.
Aug 31, 2021 12:21 PM

Jul 2019
I mean you have people forcing themselves to watch anime and treating it like a chore so anything is possible.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Aug 31, 2021 12:31 PM

Sep 2019
nobody's forcing you to give a shit about those kinds of people, yet here you are.
one piece
episode 321
15:46 (or 16:33)
you're welcome
Aug 31, 2021 12:44 PM

Sep 2019
But then how would top reviewers get their helpful votes?
Soy gitana, canasteraaa.
Aug 31, 2021 12:48 PM
Jul 2021

I am Watching Like 5-6 isekai I guess

Thanks
I needed That
Aug 31, 2021 12:57 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
They are maybe not the best thing, but some of them are pretty ok and can be a great Anime to turn of your mind or watch while you do some other stuff.

smoochie smoochie

Aug 31, 2021 1:10 PM

Aug 2018
That's true, but people are allowed to watch it and shit on in it if they want to
_______I like rocks__
Aug 31, 2021 1:13 PM

Feb 2021
Tell that to the dude next to me pointing the gun at my head.

Yes, dude next to me, I mean you.
Aug 31, 2021 1:16 PM

Jun 2012
Y'all put way too much stock in ignoring the things you don't like.
Aug 31, 2021 1:21 PM

Jun 2016
Noooooo I have the right to complain about it cuz I consume this mediummmm my opinions are valid fckkk isekai
Aug 31, 2021 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
Nobody is forcing you to get offended.
Aug 31, 2021 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
I disagree, the anime community is forcing me. They don't shut up about them.
Aug 31, 2021 3:10 PM

Nov 2008
Bad LN isekai adaptations takes spots away from the oodles of better anime that deserve the spots.

Sep 2, 2021 2:20 AM

Feb 2019
IhateBroccoli said:
Thigh_Tide said:

You forget that the genre of Isekai is not the Double Slit Experiment. They don't spontaneously improve when one's back is turned.

If bad shows exist, then it's entirely acceptable, nay, required, to critique that fact. The same is true for those that watch them compulsively. If you don't want to get "annoyed," get better taste.

Ah I see! Just get a better taste, hmph. A taste that is not one's own is inherently bad I suppose. Lol :D You have enlightened me!

What is this supposed to be? A personal remark, a defence of Isekai, what?

Unironically liking shit Isekai is bad taste, regardless of whose it is.
Sep 2, 2021 4:45 AM
Jul 2013
If fans would stop shoving them to everyone's faces on regular basis more people will more likely ignore them instead of displaying great hate towards them.

You know how the JoJo fandom is annoying and it causes people to hate the series, right? It is exactly the same with how isekai fans are.
Sep 2, 2021 4:50 AM

Feb 2016
ehh i'm allowed to criticize the media i consume. that said, the animation industry should be really picky about which isekais get adapted. i should consider myself lucky that ascendance of a bookworm got a 3rd season because it's one of the lesser popular isekais
Sep 2, 2021 5:04 AM

Oct 2015
I just watch the one's that people say are good, so like 1 or 2 a year.
Sep 2, 2021 10:41 AM

Feb 2019
IhateBroccoli said:
Thigh_Tide said:

What is this supposed to be? A personal remark, a defence of Isekai, what?

Unironically liking shit Isekai is bad taste, regardless of whose it is.

Defending isekai? A personal remark? I did nothing of the sort! You are accusing me of something I did obviously not! I was merely stating that YOU my kind sir, have opened my eyes to the truth! That anything but YOUR taste is bad, I have learned much from this and I shall teach this forward. And fret not young man! Your name shall be mentioned in these teachings and worry not for I am a great teacher. These tellings will not only last, but change the course of the future. They will speak of the great "Thigh_tide" as the savior of what a "good taste" truly is. And sing ur praises and poems in the great halls of Anime Tiddies!

You can do away with your cringey sarcasm or whatever this is supposed to be, because that's just a Straw Man. I never said "anything but my taste is bad," I said liking shit Isekai is shit.
Sep 2, 2021 10:52 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Armados said:
If fans would stop shoving them to everyone's faces on regular basis more people will more likely ignore them instead of displaying great hate towards them.

You know how the JoJo fandom is annoying and it causes people to hate the series, right? It is exactly the same with how isekai fans are.

Would love to see more of this, since my experience has been the opposite. For every one thread like this one - which, yes, it is a stupid thread, people can watch whatever they damn well please, regardless of expectations - we have a dozen complaining about isekai flooding the medium.

It didn't start as Isekai, too. When CGDCT was a big thing? Yeah, people were subjected to endless complaining and whining about how something is considered popular and therefore ruining anime. When Harem&Ecchi was a big thing? Same deal. Magic High Schools? Same deal. It's a fucking cycle of endlessly whining about and overstating the presence of whatever we're identifying as a trend within the industry at the time. Nowadays complaining about CGDCT or H&E is getting out of vogue. You can't complain about CGDCT without sounding like you've lived under a rock for the last 15 years, and you can't complain about H&E without getting significant pushback. CGDCT is at the endgame of this cycle, and H&E will be at the endgame in a few years. Eventually isekai will reach that point too, whenever the next trend is identified. But right now? Holy fuck, *the* biggest circlejerks on MAL are anti-isekai threads, to the point where it's not uncommon for people to make them with an assumed dislike for isekai for everybody who'll be responding.

The pattern of behavior has always leaned towards trying to identify industry trends and lambasting it as not being real art and consumerist bullshit, in what usually comes off as a vapid attempt by some dipshit 19 year old to sound smarter and more adult than they could ever actually uphold.

How many isekai threads have I walked into, and how many times have I run into people being overbearing about the latest new isekai? How many times have I seen people being overbearing about disliking isekai? Twitter, same deal.

This is so counter to my own experience that it baffles me. I can't even bring myself to fight stupid threads like this one anymore, just because I'm so tired of their opposites being needlessly overbearing tenfold to whatever folks like this OP have to offer.

Isekai is not a concept I'm fond of in of itself and killed one of my favorite trends in Magic High Schools, yet I feel compelled to defend it, solely because I want people to fuck off with the constant isekai threads, 95% of which are coming from an anti-isekai perspective.

----

Also, complaining about isekai being prominent and existing is a trend that started with anitube and spread out to the rest of the community by virtue of as much. I think the backlash would've happened either way - CGDCT and H&E didn't have a far larger-than-normal presence as an anitube topic and they got more or less the same treatment in their days - but it has sustained itself off of that in no small way.

It's always going to get them a lot more clicks than normal to do some isekai shit vid, and they capitalize on that because at the end of the day they want to grow their channel like anybody who owns a business or brand would want to grow as much. People would not ignore it at all, anywhere. People would watch videos about it on YouTube complaining about how much it exists and how much it's meant to pander to absolute no-lives then take the vitriol those videos premise themselves onto discussion boards like this one. It's endemic to *that* - a system that keeps this discussion alive amongst newbies because it's so easy to generate clicks off of for anitubers. And what do a lot of new people who don't know what anime to watch do to find new anime to watch? Look to fucking anitubers and their recs. Hell, in too many cases it's an obvious noob trap of people who are inexperienced trying to signal that they have a broader perspective than they actually do because they wind up repeating these anitubers videos nearly verbatim.

The cycle of WAAAH INDUSTRY TREND I'M SO ABOVE THIS IT'S FOR LOSER WEEBS AND I AM MOST CERTAINLY NOT A LOSER WEEB isn't something new, and it sure as fuck isn't sustained off of fans of the genre, considering how fucking rare it is to run into someone who'll openly admit to being one in the current discussion environment. It never was just an isekai thing, either, there's established precedent of this happening over and over again, with every industry trend of a given age.

It's bullshit. It's stupid. And I am fucking sick of it flooding this board that I've been an active user of for years now.
ManabanSep 2, 2021 11:08 AM

Sep 2, 2021 12:47 PM

Aug 2019
... but some Isekai are quite good. I'm not going to avoid an entire genre because most of them are rubbish, and if I do watch one that is, I can criticise it.

If I eat at an Italian restaurant and I didn't like their food, I wouldn't avoid every Italian restaurant in future, I just won't go back to that particular restaurant, and leave my feedback. It's the same with Isekai.
Sep 3, 2021 2:35 AM

Feb 2019
IhateBroccoli said:
Thigh_Tide said:

You can do away with your cringey sarcasm or whatever this is supposed to be, because that's just a Straw Man. I never said "anything but my taste is bad," I said liking shit Isekai is shit.

It's essentially the same thing, I simply overreacted, you are saying that you didn't say that only your taste is good, but you are also saying at the same time that a shit isekai is a fact, it's not a fact just because you don't like an isekai, there's always gonna be someone that likes what u dislike. So please stop talking like it's factual, it is subjective

Ok then, lets discuss this seriously.

I am making the claim that Isekai is utter crap, and that is a fact. I justify this with the evidence that the genre has the following:

• An over-reliance on simplistic character archetypes.
  • A lack of visible creativity present in worldbuilding.
  • Differentiation attained exclusively due to inconsequential gimmicks.
  • Mundane narratives lacking in any sort of theme.
  • Appeal to multiple damaging cultural notions, most notably relationships and fulfilment.
  • Require little effort to construct, particularly by waiving the need to develop a protagonist.

These issues all contribute to the standard Isekai being objectively awful. Regardless of which individual titles you think do or do not fall under this, it is undeniable that these are problems present in the majority of the genre, and lead to it as a whole being bad.

You are making the claim that teh opposite is true; this is not a fact, and only subjective. How do you intend to justify this claim?

(Note of course that if you fail to, that will be taken to mean you retract said claim).
Sep 4, 2021 6:21 AM

Feb 2019
I can appreciate a genuine response, however numerous issues arise within the way you explain your viewpoint. Though, many are just pointing out the same 2 or 3 mistakes you make repeatedly, so you can skip to the summary if you wish.

IhateBroccoli said:
Retract my claim? I was just stating that what you think is bad or good, someone else thinks the opposite. After all, all form of anime is a sort of art. And in art there is nothing factually bad or good, positive or negative. Just your personal perception. Someone might perceive "An over-reliance on simplistic character archetypes." as a good thing, whereas you are stating as a fact it is bad. And I myself even think that there is no need for character development in certain stories. Take for instance "Hotarubi no mori e", it has whatsoever no character building at all, just a character growing up. Yet it has an average of 8.34 rating (I personally love it too). It might not be an isekai, but I am talking about character development in general. I don't know if you are saying that you need all those things for an isekai to be good, but they aren't like, "follow this list and ur story will be good" It doesn't work that way.

The proposition "in art there is nothing factually good or bad" is itself another viewpoint, not something provably true. While it's true that different concepts, themes and styles appeal to different people, the reasons I described above for why Isekai tend to be awful all speak of a lack of care, a lack of passion in creating said art. Regardless of whether one does or doesn't like the eventual creation, it is undeniable that it is art created without a desire to create art, and since that conflicts with the very reason art exists, there is no question that is an objectively negative thing.

For that same reason, an over-reliance on simplistic character archetypes is in fact an issue. Developing a character improves them, makes them deeper, gives them believable thoughts and reinforces all their actions. You can make good stories with simple characters, but that doesn't mean having good characters is unnecessary. The quality in such works always comes from another source, that benefits from having said simple characters. For example, H. G. Wells's War of the Worlds has barely any named characters and virtually no exploration of them, but that benefits the style of the work, since it is written as a factual, historic record of the event. The average Isekai, however, does not do anything like this - the characters are a detriment rather than an artistic decision.

I can't speak for Hotarubi no mori e, because I have not seen it, but surely watching a character grow up is delving into their character? I don't see how one could not do so, with that premise. That aside, the rating is of no importance. That is a fallacious point, an Argumentum ad Populum.

I did not list those elements as "what an Isekai needed to be good," I listed them as the issues present across most Isekai causing them to not be good.

You see, it's a rather known thing that Sword Art Online is bad, and while I agree to some small extent on why it could be seen as bad I disagree because I am indifferent to this opinion. I think it has really good music for instance and a really cool theme. And yes, while it may fall short afterwards in some ways, those were not problems for me and maybe I even ignored them, henceforth I like it and I think it's good. For me the good outweighs the bad in this specific scenario. Also people say a lot of different things are bad about it while I like some of those things, because we aren't the same person. Like I saw someone once say that Asuna is a terrible written character, but I really like her. Maybe I am just a simp or a coomer, but that doesn't change what I feel.

"While it may fall short...those were not problems for me." "Asuna is a terrible written character, but I really like her."

You've stumbled upon the difference between preference and quality. As can be seen in your statements, you like the show, but you accept it is bad. And while you are fully entitled to enjoy the work, the issues it has don't disappear solely because you individually can look past them.

I pointed this out previously - "Regardless of which individual titles you think do or do not fall under this, it is undeniable that these are problems." In other words, the fact that you can like a show doesn't mean it is exempt from criticism, exempt from flaws.

A fact is something that's been proven and can't be argued against. Yes, there can be bad art when it for instance doesn't bring anything new to the table but it can still be good. Whereas another isekai release might not be bringing anything new to the table it can also still be good. So I do not think this something to be discussed. Because there are multiple different reasons and factors for a show to be perceived as good or bad. If all isekais are bad just because they're copying each other, why did Apex Legends and Fortnite arise so high after PUBGs release? Just using the same concept isn't a reason for something to be bad.

This paragraph is hard to comprehend. You're repeatedly arguing "it can be bad but it can still be good," which is just vague and contradictory.

If what you're trying to say is that some Isekai can be good despite falling under many of the prevailing issues I described, then that needs only the same response as the previous paragraphs had - just because something can at times work despite flaws does not mean there aren't flaws.

Moreover, I do not see how this disputes my deceleration of it being fact. It is provable that most Isekai fall under the points I mentioned, and it is also true that doing the opposite of the each point listed evidently improves that individual element.

Noting the popularity of Fortnite and Apex Legends is again an Argument ad Populum fallacy, so the point fails to prove anything.

Also, there is no need for world building for a story in general to be good. While that may not be the case for an isekai, actually, why not? Why doesn't that have to be the case? I mean there is a movie where a bunch of students just sit in a classroom and talk for 1h and 30m I think. Me and my classmates watched this movie together years ago in the classroom in school and we all loved it. So if a bunch of 15 year olds can love a movie where they only sit in a classroom (mind you it's an 80's movie) then why does there need to be world building? Even if it's an isekai, say maybe someone reincarnates, but they end up in a empty room, aslong as there is someone else there maybe it could be interesting in some way.

You misunderstand the definition of Worldbuilding. While it's often used to mean to creating a fictional setting for a storyline, it actually refers to anything in a work of fiction that isn't the narrative or characters. In the movie you mention, which I assume is The Breakfast Club, the setting of a school, the objects around them, the locations nearby, the situation that causes them to all be stuck in the room together, that's all Worldbuilding. Certainly not as much as would be necessary for a Fantasy or SF work, but still Worldbuilding nonetheless.

Still, it being just an extended conversation can be seen as an issue, but this goes back to what I mentioned previously - A flaw in one area can still be outweighed by improvements elsewhere, but that doesn't stop the flaw being a flaw. The quality of the movie comes from having deep characters, a strong theme and genuinely intelligent writing. That doesn't alter the fact that it is made in an unconventional, less engaging way, instead it uses it to its advantage.

The only reason I can actually think of to make out an anime to actually being "bad" is when the creators create something and they don't care. They just make something that might make money and take no considerations at all. But how would you know this unless someone in the team has stated so? The only other reason I could think of is ignoring basic story principles, such as a red line, rhythm etc. But I'd say most animes or isekais I've watched at least have a red line throughout. And this is the only part where I think you are correct in a way, where there is no effort. Which you stated in this line "Require little effort to construct, particularly by waiving the need to develop a protagonist.". It is essentially what I was saying earlier. But it is also untrue, because it doesn't have to have effort to be good. But less effort make it less genuine or something like that

You point out what I've said myself, a production is intrinsically bad if it is made without passion.

You question how this can be known, but note that not knowing doesn't mean it isn't - it would still be passionless if it isn't outright stated, saying so doesn't alter the content. Finding out, on the other hand, well that's just what analysis and critique is for, to identify why the work was made and what the creator means by it.

The statement "it doesn't have to have effort to be good" is also not inherently true. There's nothing to suggest that is the case, since as I pointed out, a desire to make art is the very reason art exists, so making something good without that intent is impossible.

After all, art exists because the world is imperfect, if there is a perfect anime then that contradicts that. So because you think it is a fact that maybe "Sword art online" as an EXAMPLE* is terrible. I think it's good, because you and I perceive different things to be good or bad. As is why maybe I love chocolate and you hate it. It's a taste. So an anime doesn't have to be a triple A in every single category like character development, world building etc. It just needs something. If that something is enough for someone, then of course they are going to like it. Whereas it has missing 4 categories out of 5 for you so you think it's terrible straight up.

That's a completely incorrect and uncalled for assumption. I never said it needed to fulfil "every category," I said those were the common, prevailing reasons present in most Isekai that speak to their low quality.

And again, I'm not denying you can enjoy a bad work, but your liking it doesn't in any way refute every bad thing about that show.

So when you talk about art and start talking about facts it is no longer art. Because calling it a fact is also calling it undeniable, aka proven. How can you call an art or an anime undeniably bad when someone else likes it? This is why I hate people that say that "Sword art online is undeniably bad", BECAUSE I LIKE IT. A fact is something like you can't walk on water as a human, this is proven and agreed on by everyone. You can't say that someone else dislikes it. You can't call a feeling a fact, and art isn't factual, it's feeling, it's personal perception.

This appears to be the running theme of your argument - "I like it so it can't be bad." Why would this be the case? You yourself said you can see why SAO is considered bad and like it despite that, so why should your individual choice to disregard its flaws apply to everyone?

On myanimelist.net you can actually check how many people rated an anime 10/10 or like 5/10. If an anime has 0 ratings that is above 5/10 then yes, I will allow you to call it a bad anime. Send me a link once you find it

Also, if you do wanna talk about real facts and statistics, which is not proper for ART by the way. Here is an argument I am going to leave you with, https://myanimelist.net/anime/11757/Sword_Art_Online/stats here you can see the stats. As you can see, 15% of people that rated the show on this website put it as a 10/10. And sometimes maybe this depiction can be false, untrue or manipulated but even then your statements doesn't make sense because someone like it so much they are willing to bot it up.
Another example https://myanimelist.net/anime/2418/Stranger__Mukou_Hadan/stats if you only look at stats, you will see that a third of the people that rated this, rated is an 8. It should be really good then? Well then why have I heard people say it's bad? Why is there a review that left a 2/10 on it? BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING FACTUAL ABOUT IT

This entire section is a slew of Argumentum ad Populum fallacies. An arbitrary number averaged across an arbitrary group of people means nothing. Just as you've proven, people can enjoy a work despite it being flawed, and no doubt there are near-perfect works you dislike. Yet large groups of people, putting down numbers, somehow automatically lean towards correct? Ridiculous.

What really make a good anime, isekai or even a live-action show is having an idea, a concept, creating something. Like the idea that time travel exists in Steins;Gate (not that it's an isekai, it's an in general anime example). Then they stick to that narrative and explain how the story evolves. It doesn't have to have everything perfect, what will make it good is the creator, the writer, and that's an art. And if the creator or the writer or whatever is happy with what they ended up with, I'd call that a perfect creation because they created their idea. A good art, a good show, a good anime, a good isekai. And yet, here we are, you calling some of these passionate creations like Jobless Reincarnation and Re:Zero factually bad without a second thought. While I didn't personally like those two particularly, a lot of people did and that's beautiful.

Creating any piece of media is a lot more complicated than "concept then see how it evolves." There's why it evolves in the way it does, what it means for it to do so, who is present for that evolving concept and why, how the evolving concept fares in specific situations, and so on.

Nevertheless, though, this is all just your opinion of what you like to see. And it's already been established at length that "someone liking something bad doesn't stop it being bad."

(As a side note, can you say what leads you to think Jobless Reincarnation and Re:Zero are passionate? Because that definitely isn't the case, both are two of the most hollow, thoughtless, worthless Isekai ever put to paper. So, what your source to for that claim is would be of great interest.)

And again, "lots of people liked it" is an Argument ad Populum, once more.

I also think something like God of Highschool is just trash, but I don't call it a fact because it isn't. It is another form of entertainment that probably wasn't meant for me.

If you think I am still wrong I'd love to know why.

This seems to be somewhat of a double standard. Your negative opinion of God of Highschool cannot say it is trash, but your positive opinion of Sword Art Online can prove the opposite, in your eyes. That doesn't quite make sense. You accept your like or dislike of the work has no genuine bearing on the quality for the former, yet believe the opposite for the latter.

I do still think you're wrong, and that's a good opportunity for a summary of why:

----

I - Quality and Preference aren't one and the same.

The argument you've made the most often is that you like SAO, and that somehow demonstrates it cannot be bad. This argument fell apart before you even made it, though, since you immediately exposed the flaw in your thinking when you presented it - you said, quote, "those were not problems for me and maybe I even ignored them." You cannot state that the flaws are not present, because of course, they are, only that you as a viewer did not find issue with them.

This harkens back to my original response to this thread, before you came along - that "they don't spontaneously improve when one's back is turned." Not seeing the problems with a show, be it by choice, ineptitude or a lack of necessary information, does not change the fact that those problems are present.

And as I've pointed out, all those problems speak of a lack of artistic skill and drive. So, with their presence inarguable across the genre, the conclusion that Isekai is as a whole a flawed genre is a complete and total fact.

II - Argumentum ad Populum is a fallacy.

In a similar vein to your claim that "I like it so it can't be bad," you also made the even sillier claim that "many people like it so it must be good." I shouldn't need to explain to you why this is a fallacious point, but if you do not understand it, then it is like so:

You will no doubt accept that everyone has a different opinion on every matter. Be it media, food, politics, fashion, everything. But nothing suggests that in a large enough group, people will congregate towards the "correct" view, when taken as an average. And when a large group of people is taken to justify something, then that demonstrates a lack of genuine reasoning, since that's just saying "X is right because Y says so, Y is right because Z says so," and so on without ever getting to why any of them are or are not right.

In other words, the fact that an Isekai can get highly rated on this site is completely meaningless. There is no reason to assume that rating is justifiable, after all.

III - A work without meaning or creativity is objectively, factually worthless.

Art is the expression of human imagination. Fiction is the pursuit of understanding complex concepts through hypotheticals. And most importantly, any piece of media is a statement by the creator, "this is what I think about X, this is what I think could happen if Y, this is what Z means at its most extreme."

All critique of art, of media, is simply asking the question "what is the creator saying, why, and how?" The reason why lots of media can feel generic, empty, pointless, like the average Isekai, is because these questions aren't answered. It's where many aspiring writers fail - it's not enough to have an idea for a story, you need a reason to tell it.

For this reason, it is inarguable that anything made with less than complete, intelligent devotion to art has to be considered inherently awful. It's missing the very heart behind fiction.

Of course, you can still enjoy it, which comes back around to the first point of this summary. Critique is "what is being said," but Preference is "what do I want to hear." For instance, Reki Kawahara completely failed at saying anything of note with SAO, but what he did create somehow was able to appeal to you despite this. Or, alternatively, there may be something profoundly impressive that you didn't understand and thus disliked. The two are in no way connected, as I mentioned previously, so no opinion can refute the fact.

IV - Though at times shows can be good despite failing in one respect, that doesn't make that respect unimportant.

A smaller point, but one that bears repeating. While sometimes a work can stray from the conventional "good," such as having shallower characters, a harder plot to follow, or not following established structures, in a truly good work that is always in service of improving another element - like spending some capital to start a potentially much more profitable business.

However, nothing about this suggests that the element can be ignored at all times, particularly when it is not for the benefit of the work. This extends to the entire genre - there are certainly good Isekai, but their presence doesn't immediately rectify the bad present in all other Isekai.

----

So, to summarise my summary, comical as it is to have to do that, just because you like something doesn't make it good, nor do many people liking something make it good, if a work is made without effort or drive that is objectively a negative quality to the work, and some Isekai being good despite their flaws doesn't mean they all are.

Do you have any further rebuttal, or any correction you want to make to your justification of your view?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed?

Rinrinka - 12 hours ago

41 by Spunkert »»
24 seconds ago

» Is the 7th season or the 8th season of the anime Tales of Demons and Gods being aired?

Lexix - 5 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» J. Michael Tatum Appreciation Thread

APolygons2 - May 3

23 by Nemo_Niemand »»
7 minutes ago

» When is an anime too long or too short for you?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

13 by Yonahim_Zz »»
8 minutes ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime?

Dragevard - 10 hours ago

36 by ST63LTH »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.