Forum Settings
Forums

Have you learned Nihonggo because of anime?

New
Aug 14, 2021 5:53 AM

Jan 2021
I came upon a tiktok video before where she was speaking Nihonggo somewhat fluently (atleast she can hold a conversation). And she mentioned she learned the language by watching animes... for 5 years to be exact. Although, she didn't imply it, I know for sure she studied it well and she started learning it because of anime. It was pretty cool and impressive. I have been watching anime for a long time as well, and all I know is basic phrases and greetings, and I do not even know how to build a full sentence lmao. Anyway,

I am genuinely curious about the questions I am listing below :D
- Do you know Nihonggo? If so, how long did it take you to get the gist of it?
- Have you tried learning Nihonggo multiple times?
- If you are indeed learning, what is your learning process?

Have you tried learning Nihonggo multiple times?
I know for a fact I did. I have tried multiple times to learn it (3-4 times maybe) and every time, I lose the motivation to do so. Although I did manage to memorize the Hiragana, but I am on the process of learning... it's just taking me a long while. I still want to learn though but yeah, some academic stuff and hobbies tend to overpower my desire to learn the language lol. Either way, it'll be cool to learn it, atleast you can watch anime without subtitles right XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2021 5:57 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
No, but I started watching anime because I liked 日本語.
Aug 14, 2021 6:04 AM

Feb 2016
Still no, but i would like since i read manga/light novel/visual novel some games never get english translate, then i would like to learn in the future.
The battle is over.
Show respect for the fallen
who fought so bravely.
Aug 14, 2021 6:13 AM

Jun 2016
There is nothing wrong with the word "japanese" OP. We've been using it for at least 500 years.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 14, 2021 6:21 AM

Jan 2021
Felix-san said:
Still no, but i would like since i read manga/light novel/visual novel some games never get english translate, then i would like to learn in the future.

Agree. It would also be pretty nifty to able to read the ones in its raw form :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2021 6:22 AM

Jan 2021
149597871 said:

That's an interesting plot twist :D
Aug 14, 2021 6:23 AM

Jan 2021
Theo1899 said:
There is nothing wrong with the word "japanese" OP. We've been using it for at least 500 years.

Gotcha! ;)
Is there a problem that I prefer to use Nihonggo tho? :D
At the end of the day, it's still a choice as long as the thought comes through :))
Aug 14, 2021 6:23 AM

Jun 2020
I lost my motivation for learn it. I just memorize some basic hiragana. I also memorize some words but I can't build a full sentence or speak it properly. At least I can understand a little bit basic conversation.
Aug 14, 2021 6:25 AM

Jan 2021
Curseee said:
Nihongo wa totemo subarashi to omoshiroi. So omou ka? OwO

Where's the english subtitles? Lol! XD
Aug 14, 2021 6:26 AM

Jan 2021
chocomayu said:
I lost my motivation for learn it. I just memorize some basic hiragana. I also memorize some words but I can't build a full sentence or speak it properly. At least I can understand a little bit basic conversation.

True, there are sometimes words that I can pick up and can somehow understand what it meant in a full context :D
Aug 14, 2021 6:28 AM

Jan 2018
I watch anime like need for speed so I never get down to learning the language. But at this point I can somewhat understand what they are talking about, the usual daily conversation stuff.

I need a motivation to learn, like maybe if I live in japanese community or something. Even english is hard to use here I might be seen as showing off if I speak it so it depends on how open minded your culture can be.
Aug 14, 2021 6:37 AM

Jun 2016
EvieEve said:
Theo1899 said:

Gotcha! ;)
At the end of the day, it's still a choice as long as the thought comes through :))

It's not a word that is used in english or is familiar to most english speakers so it may hinder communication. Also, this is kinda personal but it reminds me of some stupid people I have to deal with daily that claim that word "greek" is a sign of western europe's cultural imperialism and we should all be using "hellenic" instead.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 14, 2021 6:45 AM

Jan 2021
hazecloud said:

I need a motivation to learn, like maybe if I live in japanese community or something.

This is also one of the reasons why I hesitate to push through and learn it all the way. If I somehow manage to learn it, then what? If I don't use it to communicate, the skill will eventually vanish and it would have been a waste of time XDDD
Aug 14, 2021 6:47 AM

Jan 2021
cozysanto said:
when i was younger i used to think i could easily learn the language just by watching anime but did not realize it is a difficult language to learn.

Indeed it is beautiful. That's what got me hooked into trying it in the first place. Oh, it's going to be easy... or so we thought!
Aug 14, 2021 6:51 AM

Jun 2011
No I learned it because of video games.
Aug 14, 2021 6:58 AM

Jan 2021
Theo1899 said:
EvieEve said:

Gotcha! ;)

It's not a word that is used in english or is familiar to most english speakers so it may hinder communication. Also, this is kinda personal but it reminds me of some stupid people I have to deal with daily that claim that word "greek" is a sign of western europe's cultural imperialism and we should all be using "hellenic" instead.

Well, as someone who is also not an english native speaker, when I come upon an unfamiliar word, I look it up. It's all about learning to me, and it's for others to decide if they want to learn it as well ^^ but in your case, you did know what Nihonggo means :DD as for the latter, I do not concern myself with anything greek or hellenic, therefore, I do not have anything I can add to that XDD
Aug 14, 2021 7:00 AM

Jan 2021
Narmy said:
No I learned it because of video games.

This reminds me of a video game I wanted to play a few years back but I needed to change my PC language so I can install it but the fear of not being able to revert it back kept me from installing the game :')
Aug 14, 2021 7:06 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Curseee said:
Nihongo wa totemo subarashi to omoshiroi.

Nein, nein, nein!

Never use 'と’ (to) between two adjectives.
Aug 14, 2021 7:11 AM

Dec 2016
No, the only words I know from anime are, Yamete, yamero, onii-chan, senpai, kimochi, sugoi, motto hayaku
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Aug 14, 2021 7:21 AM

Mar 2012
I started learning Japanese in 2008, now I don't even remember how long it took me to get the gist of it. But then I didn't touch it for a long time when I got busy with studies and almost entirely forgot it. I picked it up again later and learnt everything from scratch and then gave JLPT N3 in 2016, despite skipping N5 and N4, I found the N3 exam to be quite easy. I lost interest in learning the language after that but right now I read raw manga as a bit of practice so I don't entirely forget it again.
Aug 14, 2021 7:56 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I began learning Japanese in 2017. It was hard at some times, but I pulled through. Now I'm at the level where I can probably watch raw anime and understand more than half of what is said. My final goal is being able to write novels in Japanese, so at least reading them, hence I'll probably be stuck with light novels, classical novels and visual novels for this decade. I thought about living in Japan but the work culture isn't better than in France.
I first started learning Japanese for the otaku subculture, so it does imply anime, but also music, manga, the culture that it has all spawned.

Aug 14, 2021 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
It's definitely possible to learn some japanese from anime, but only if you already know a little bit. Just by watching anime without understanding a word you're not gonna learn anything other than a bit of vocabulary. If you really wanna learn you're probably better off grabbing some manga and a dictionary instead of watching anime.
Aug 14, 2021 5:39 PM

Mar 2008
EvieEve said:
149597871 said:

That's an interesting plot twist :D

Not really. I also was into things like martial arts and origami before I knew what anime was.
Aug 14, 2021 9:25 PM

Jan 2020
I've known before I started lol. But I suppose I have learnt some new words here and there

Aug 15, 2021 1:33 AM

Jan 2021
SuicideMaster said:
If you really wanna learn you're probably better off grabbing some manga and a dictionary instead of watching anime.

That's one of the things that I think can be effective actually. By reading raw mangas without translation. But it's probably not the time for me yet XD
Aug 15, 2021 1:35 AM

Jan 2021
DrSexy said:
No, the only words I know from anime are, Yamete, yamero, onii-chan, senpai, kimochi, sugoi, motto hayaku

No doubt. I know them too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 15, 2021 1:37 AM

Jan 2021
Maou_heika said:
I started learning Japanese in 2008, now I don't even remember how long it took me to get the gist of it. But then I didn't touch it for a long time when I got busy with studies and almost entirely forgot it. I picked it up again later and learnt everything from scratch and then gave JLPT N3 in 2016, despite skipping N5 and N4, I found the N3 exam to be quite easy. I lost interest in learning the language after that but right now I read raw manga as a bit of practice so I don't entirely forget it again.

That's a very long time! But that's one of the things that I worry about too, once I learn the language and I don't use it much, I'll gradually forget it entirely ://
Aug 15, 2021 1:41 AM

Jan 2021
Lolsebca said:
I began learning Japanese in 2017. It was hard at some times, but I pulled through. Now I'm at the level where I can probably watch raw anime and understand more than half of what is said. My final goal is being able to write novels in Japanese, so at least reading them, hence I'll probably be stuck with light novels, classical novels and visual novels for this decade. I thought about living in Japan but the work culture isn't better than in France.
I first started learning Japanese for the otaku subculture, so it does imply anime, but also music, manga, the culture that it has all spawned.

That's actually amazing! I commend your goals! :D
I also started to like the music and I am following quite a few japanese artists as well, but it all started with anime for me :')) Also, I hope all goes well for your future plans! :DD
Aug 15, 2021 1:43 AM

Jan 2021
Finmeister said:
Japanese is way too difficult a language to be worth learning just to watch anime. I unironically wish anime was produced in Spanish or French or something just so that its language would be easier to learn.

Hmm, well I can see how that can be reasonable! But I do not know either languages so I couldn't really say so myself :DD
Aug 15, 2021 1:44 AM

Sep 2020
Only phrases and words that tend to repeat a lot.
Aug 15, 2021 1:56 AM

Jan 2021
Finmeister said:
EvieEve said:

Hmm, well I can see how that can be reasonable! But I do not know either languages so I couldn't really say so myself :DD

Well it takes less time on average for a native English speaker to learn Spanish or French than it does for one to learn Japanese.

Oh, that's nice!! I might try to learn the easy ones, seems fun!! :DD Thank you!
Aug 15, 2021 2:11 AM

Jun 2021
I tried but gave up. I learned kana by writting my favorite character's names in hiragana and katakana (starting with Asuna's) and I know 200 Kanji. If I ever get back to it it'll probably be to become a LN/Japanese novel translator (my fream). I pratice Nihon Go on Duolingo and Mondly everyday and I can make full sentences.

俺の世界一のアニメヘロインわ和勇気明日何からソードードアートオンライン 彼女わ強い とてもすごくなきれいそして彼女はモザーズーロザリオ、俺彼女は愛しています!
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Aug 15, 2021 6:58 AM

Jan 2021
Kazu-chan-san said:
I tried but gave up. I learned kana by writting my favorite character's names in hiragana and katakana (starting with Asuna's) and I know 200 Kanji. If I ever get back to it it'll probably be to become a LN/Japanese novel translator (my fream). I pratice Nihon Go on Duolingo and Mondly everyday and I can make full sentences.

俺の世界一のアニメヘロインわ和勇気明日何からソードードアートオンライン 彼女わ強い とてもすごくなきれいそして彼女はモザーズーロザリオ、俺彼女は愛しています!

That's awesome! Thank you for the feedback! Seems pretty intimidating haha :D
Aug 15, 2021 7:03 AM
Jul 2018
There was a time when I felt inspired to learn Nihonggo because of anime but overtime I realised that learning a new language is not my forte.
Aug 15, 2021 7:16 AM

Jan 2021
Cream said:
There was a time when I felt inspired to learn Nihonggo because of anime but overtime I realised that learning a new language is not my forte.

Maybe it's not mine too. Well, look at that, another realization haha :D
I never really put too much effort in learning a language before, but if I do, I think it would be Nihonggo. That would be too far-fetched in my case tho XD
Aug 15, 2021 8:42 AM

Apr 2018
i actually felt interested in learning it around 5 years ago, after finishing watching maybe 20-30 anime.
so i took a notebook and started writing basic words, hiragana, and just words for daily conversation in general. i tried making everything cute, highlighted it, decorated it in washi tapes and even drew on some pages and it was fun until i lost motivation and energy to continue. i tried getting back to it maybe once but i just couldn't do it and gave up on it completely.

i can't see myself getting back to it so good luck to you, although school/university might take away most of your free time
Aug 15, 2021 1:15 PM

Sep 2017
I used to daydream about learning it one day but after doing some research I lost interest in it
1. The script is very hard+ Kanji
2. The language is impractical. It only gets your work done in Japan
The only non-weebish reason coming to my mind to learn it, is getting able to read Haiku
خ
Aug 15, 2021 2:31 PM

Jun 2019
Of course not. I hated all idiots who kept about making anime references in Japanese lectures. Later on, I started watching anime myself, and perhaps it helped me a little getting the N2 last year. For the N1, this is a work in progress...

Finmeister said:
EvieEve said:

Well it takes less time on average for a native English speaker to learn Spanish or French than it does for one to learn Japanese.

I wonder who made that map where the only native French speakers are in France...

Those number of hours are misleading at best since real proficiency in a language like English (C2) takes one or two decades.

Fatephile said:
I used to daydream about learning it one day but after doing some research I lost interest in it
1. The script is very hard+ Kanji
2. The language is impractical. It only gets your work done in Japan
The only non-weebish reason coming to my mind to learn it, is getting able to read Haiku

This is unironically the best reason to start Japanese. To read the literature and thousand years old poetry.
Aug 15, 2021 3:11 PM

Sep 2020
i know some of it, but i can't speak it fluently or write in it, i only know how to speak it.
Aug 29, 2021 6:55 PM

Oct 2020
I have learned Japanese from watching anime a tiny bit.

Aug 29, 2021 7:16 PM

Jul 2020
Yes i learned some japanese words because of anime and im currently learning japanese but i procrastinate a lot-
Aug 29, 2021 7:18 PM

Mar 2020
I have learned certain words and phrases, pronouns and some other stuff.
Aug 29, 2021 7:30 PM

Dec 2016
No.
Not even once.
Have you ever tried to understand and practice Bushido though?

Aug 30, 2021 9:06 AM

Nov 2020
When i first started anime last year, i just felt like learning Japanese so I downloaded a few apps. Japanese learning apps are useful for beginners i guess but if you want to learn more, you'll have to pay so i dont recommend those.

Other than that, i think i just gradually learned Japanese and got more interested in Japan after watching many anime. I think time is the key to learning something i guess.

Now i can understand a little bit of japanese, although im not confident :)
Aug 30, 2021 4:24 PM

Feb 2019
Every night I pray:
Onze Vader, die in de hemel zijt, uw naam worde geheiligd.
May all weebs wake up with instant fluency in Japanese so they won't have to trudge through machine-translated light novels hosted in wordpress blogs.
Amen.
Aug 30, 2021 4:31 PM

Jan 2016
Anime inspired me to want to learn, but I used to be pretty good at language. I wish I practiced Japanese more when I was younger because I feel like I'm "too old" now to really learn it :( I have so many apps and textbooks that I don't even use. I need more motivation, but like other people said, if you don't really need it daily, it's hard to stay focused on it.
Aug 30, 2021 7:43 PM
Jul 2018
I started learning Japanese a year ago because I wanted to be able to translate manga, I typesetted a lot back then. After learning it for like 6 or 7 months straight, I took a break from it for now so I'm just stuck with the basics in my head.

More topics from this board

» How do you travel daily

ST63LTH - May 3

29 by pk8list »»
14 minutes ago

» why are the nordic countries so happy? ( 1 2 )

deg - Mar 29

89 by Auron_ »»
17 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

723 by SynthwaveCrusade »»
42 minutes ago

» I got a girlfriend recently and she gets really emotional when i pay for things for her. Why do you think that is?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

22 by DigiCat »»
1 hour ago

» is blocking users a admitance of cowardice?

vasipi4946 - May 2

45 by Freshell »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.