Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2021 10:58 AM

May 2020
This might be a hidden gem this season. People sometimes skip slice of life anime, but this seems very well made. Also this gave me Hanasaku Iroha and Nagi no Asu kara vibes.
Jul 8, 2021 11:05 AM

Apr 2020
Apparently, this takes place on Monday, the week following next week. 🤣
Jul 8, 2021 11:05 AM

Jan 2018
This was a beautiful start. The visuals were beautiful, great background art, pretty character designs and interesting characters. I adore a lot of P.A. Works stuff and I'm all in for another 2-cour P.A. Works anime.
ARK-13Jul 8, 2021 11:23 AM
Jul 8, 2021 11:14 AM

Mar 2015
The art is so pretty, also really good animation, the part where the mc is getting drowned is top notch.

Hope it will be as good as it can possibly be.

*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was.. pretty but a bit weird. Not sure what to make of it yet but I guess only time will tell

Jan 2021
This SOL anime in the first episode also contains supernatural things, start from fortune tellers, constellations, shells on the beach, aquarium illusions, ancient caves and mysterious child. Although it was seen at the beginning, curious to see what happened next.
Jul 8, 2021 11:15 AM

Feb 2020
It was a very promising start. Absolutely beautiful animation, OST etc. The characters are also likeable.

SoL of the season, I hope.
Jul 8, 2021 11:16 AM

Mar 2018
Stunning visuals and music. I'm in love. PA works have a knack for water-based anime, with this and Lull in the sea.

Pretty engaging introduction, so much stuff about this world is familiar to ours, but there are elements different as well.

Really excited to see how this goes
Jul 8, 2021 11:18 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Some nice animation and relaxing music to start the ep with. The entertainment sector unfortunately is a field thats difficult to get into if you you don't work at it. At least Fuuka has a supportive family to support her in this difficult time though. Avoiding embarrassment by flying to Okinawa though was a pretty new reason for visiting it though. The fortune teller though was quite a curious character. Wow first time i seen a squad raising journal be handed in in lieu of a maths report though. Fuuka though was real lucky to encounter Karin though. But the insight into her past sure was sad. Putting in the effort but not attaining the results that you desired is always something thats hard to accept. The scene where she was drawn underwater though sure was quite the magical moment. Kukuru though sure threw one hell of a curveball at us though announcing her position like that. Overall a solid opening ep that combined some interesting character intro's with beautiful animation, relaxing OST and quite the magic moment via Fuuka's encounter. If the next ep combines the magic with character expansion as they reflect on their life and learn from it then this will be the relaxation anime of this season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2021 11:20 AM

Oct 2020
the design of the characters and the animation are great. really looking forward to this show.

Jul 8, 2021 11:22 AM

Nov 2016
z00nex said:
I liked the first episode. The colors they've used were beautiful. I didn't like the fortune telling scene, going to somewhere because a fortune teller said so sounds really dumb to me. The girls were very cute.

Please let it be yuri, thanks.

Apropos fortune teller, wasn't there recently another show with a dumbass TV fortune teller who broke her neck or something? Thought it was a P.A. show as well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 8, 2021 11:25 AM

Oct 2020
Absolutely gorgeous visuals and the VAs sound amazing!

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

Jul 8, 2021 11:26 AM

Sep 2014
FMmatron said:
z00nex said:
I liked the first episode. The colors they've used were beautiful. I didn't like the fortune telling scene, going to somewhere because a fortune teller said so sounds really dumb to me. The girls were very cute.

Please let it be yuri, thanks.

Apropos fortune teller, wasn't there recently another show with a dumbass TV fortune teller who broke her neck or something? Thought it was a P.A. show as well.

That was in Adachi to Shimamura. Quite a similar anime indeed.
Jul 8, 2021 11:29 AM

Oct 2020
Yo_ItsVeer said:
Is a girl the protagonist ? Just wanted to know.
If so I ain't watching..

You're missing out on a lot of good anime if you don't watch series with a girl protagonist.
Jul 8, 2021 11:31 AM

Nov 2016
Hrybami said:
FMmatron said:

That was in Adachi to Shimamura. Quite a similar anime indeed.

Aah, right haha. Thanks!

And indeed very similar...both have nice cinematography.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 8, 2021 11:33 AM

Dec 2012
The visuals are beautiful, and part of the reason why I started this anime. I really enjoyed the initial vibe. However it's also reminding me a bit of Irozuku, which is an anime I didn't like a lot. Hopefully this will be better than that.
Jul 8, 2021 11:39 AM

Aug 2020
Oof hell yes this sort of pacing is my kind of thing . the right amount of tranquilness , letting the visuals do the talking , really fitting sound direction.....

i would say " How i hope the series continues on to be this serene " but this is P.A. works . Drama is sort of like their physiological requirement .
Jul 8, 2021 12:09 PM

May 2015
Even though it was only the usual 23-ish minutes, it felt like a long, fleshed out episode. I assumed because it was the first episode that it would be a little slower to get to the visual feats that P.A.Works is well-known for. Nope. Just a few minutes in and they hit you with fish, like, really freakishly well-animated fish.

Character-wise, not much to tell from atm. I think it was nice that they introduced nearly all of the anime's cast in the first episode.

Also, anyone catch Shirobako's Miyamori Aoi cameo appearance?
Jul 8, 2021 12:10 PM

Sep 2011
I have just finished to watch the first episode... It seems really interesting this anime, I love the art. The two main characters are likeable, and it seems Fuuka is going to work with Kukuru at the acquarium xD
Jul 8, 2021 12:13 PM
Mar 2021
KANLen09 said:
It's been awhile, but P.A. Works is back with a 2-cour show since 2017's Sakura Quest, and welcome Nagi no Asukara director Toshiya Shinohara along with IroDuku's production staff team on this one. And it looks just as beautiful and gorgeous as ever.
https://aquatope-anime.com/bd/ --> 6 BDs with 4 episodes each.

The Aquatope moments are a clear throwback to Nagi no Asukara with the whole sea-like aquarium setting, and Kukuru Misakino looking somewhat similar to Chisaki. Not sure about the others, but even though the character designer is different, it reminds me so much of classic memories of 2013. Yoshiaki Dewa on music is yet another classic. Anyone notice that the fish head looks very similar to the fish head that was on Manaka's ankle?

The once idol Fuuka Miyazawa (I love her turquoise-coloured eyes) whom left Tokyo to find a new life in Okinawa because of her unpopularity, and a mysterious fortune teller whom like Fuuka, is also out of luck. But friendship and bonds are strong to help one another in need, so there's that. Karin Kudaka leading her to an aquarium to spare the time away from the former memories of the idol life. And 18-year-old Kukuru Misakino, director of the Gama Gama aquarium, meets her in an odd first impression, but get along OK soon thereafter. It's gonna take awhile to settle both MC girls into this setting.

AND PLEASE NO YURI SLANDER HERE.

P.A. Works's originals have really never failed me (except for that funk that was Glasslip), so hopefully this one will have enough to draw in the audience for the continuous 6 months!
KANLen09 said:
It's been awhile, but P.A. Works is back with a 2-cour show since 2017's Sakura Quest, and welcome Nagi no Asukara director Toshiya Shinohara along with IroDuku's production staff team on this one. And it looks just as beautiful and gorgeous as ever.
https://aquatope-anime.com/bd/ --> 6 BDs with 4 episodes each.

The Aquatope moments are a clear throwback to Nagi no Asukara with the whole sea-like aquarium setting, and Kukuru Misakino looking somewhat similar to Chisaki. Not sure about the others, but even though the character designer is different, it reminds me so much of classic memories of 2013. Yoshiaki Dewa on music is yet another classic. Anyone notice that the fish head looks very similar to the fish head that was on Manaka's ankle?

The once idol Fuuka Miyazawa (I love her turquoise-coloured eyes) whom left Tokyo to find a new life in Okinawa because of her unpopularity, and a mysterious fortune teller whom like Fuuka, is also out of luck. But friendship and bonds are strong to help one another in need, so there's that. Karin Kudaka leading her to an aquarium to spare the time away from the former memories of the idol life. And 18-year-old Kukuru Misakino, director of the Gama Gama aquarium, meets her in an odd first impression, but get along OK soon thereafter. It's gonna take awhile to settle both MC girls into this setting.

AND PLEASE NO YURI SLANDER HERE.

P.A. Works's originals have really never failed me (except for that funk that was Glasslip), so hopefully this one will have enough to draw in the audience for the continuous 6 months!
is this yuri?can somebody tell me whether this is yuri or not cuz it looks really interesting but I’m not into yuri
Jul 8, 2021 12:24 PM

Mar 2016
Really loving the atmosphere in the first episode here, the music is lovely and I am enjoying the characters so far, I've always had some nostalgia for aquariums, so this show is probably going to be my favorite of this season. The scenery though...it's quite breathtaking in some scenes, let's hope they keep up this pace for the on-going future.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Jul 8, 2021 12:25 PM

May 2015
It had a strong "A tropical fish yearns for snow" vibe to it spiced up with some supernatural elements that seemed to be the work of some mischievous local kami. Nice first episode, nothing extra but it was relaxing, I liked it.
Jul 8, 2021 12:26 PM

Feb 2019
The setting of this show (disillusioned girl coming from Tokyo enters the world of an eccentric local girl that's a fish otaku, though with less angst, I hope... and I bet this will also use fish as a metaphor for the girls' friendship) reminds me of Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru – even in the "the tropical fish ran away" thingie. That's not a good thing.

Kijimunaa reminded me of Yashiro from Adachi and Shimamura. The fortune-teller too. That's a good thing.

I'm ready for meaningless but extremely entertaining drama like in Hanasaku Iroha. Just hit me with it gently over the span of 24 episodes, PA Works.
Jul 8, 2021 12:27 PM

Apr 2021
I've been hyped for this anime ever since it was first announced and this first episode did not disappoint me at all. The art is pretty, the animation is VERY fluid, the premise is amazing, and the part where Fuuka gets drowned was very impactful. With this series likely having 24 episodes (Since it's a 2-cour) I can't wait to see where the story and the characters will head to, I'm excited
Jul 8, 2021 12:45 PM
May 2021
Oh, I thing this episode was a good introduction, poor Fuuka, but I hope the best for her.
Jul 8, 2021 1:05 PM
Oct 2016
[quote=FMmatron message=63765376]Whether it was Nagi no Asukura or Iroduku, I loved P.A. originals with a supernatural touch. except for Sirius, Fairy Gone or other attempts at action
Kuromokuro and Charlotte were pretty good. And though I haven't seen either, Angel Beats appears to be their most popular work with Another #2. They don't do action often but it looks like Fairy Gone was their only outright bad one.
Jul 8, 2021 1:21 PM

Aug 2013
I waited so long (since Sakura Quest) to get series like this done by P.A. Works.
What a brilliant start. I'm so glad it will get 24 episodes.
No to mention how good it looks (welp, except these 3d fishes).
Hanasaku Iroha, Nagi no Asukara, Sakura Quest are my PA Works' favorites. This one will be most likely another one (it's directed by the same person that directed Nagi no Asukara btw).
rsc-plJul 8, 2021 1:25 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 8, 2021 1:49 PM

May 2021
beautiful, hope that the story delivers

Jul 8, 2021 1:58 PM

Jul 2017
Show looks vivid and beautiful, but I've seen Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara before, and I've been severly let down by the storytelling and characters of PA Works with multiple shows despite them looking really pretty. The characters here seem nice but I hope there's enough depth to them and the whole story too by the end. This premiere was fine but I'm still not sold on it just because of the studio and director's past history with letting me down. I'll see how the story and characters get on in future episodes with caution.
Jul 8, 2021 2:04 PM

May 2015
I had really high hopes for this and it didn't disappoint one bit
Jul 8, 2021 2:12 PM
Apr 2021
Syureria said:
Yo_ItsVeer said:
Thx I tend to avoid the synopsis of Animes
no prob, Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be yuri
Could not agree more I just want a nice water themed slice of life not some yuri trash
Jul 8, 2021 2:14 PM
Apr 2021
andyrightnow said:
Really hope that it doesn't turn out to be a generic drama-driven "friendship" show.

Especially hope that the nameless fishing enthusiast classmate dude doesn't turn out to be the 幼馴染 love interest or what not

I would probably drop the show at the speed of light if any love interest happens between any of the MC and the fishing dude
why we dont need more yuri
Jul 8, 2021 2:17 PM

Jul 2019
Really interesting episode, tho I wouldn't be surprised if it falls flat in the future, I think this will do well tho, liking it so far.

OST is really good btw.
Jul 8, 2021 2:19 PM

Aug 2018
Relaxing first episode, I'm not sure what they'll do since they said it is going to be 2 cours but interested to see where it goes for now
_______I like rocks__
Jul 8, 2021 2:21 PM

Jul 2014
A very atmospheric and aesthetically beautiful opening episode. Lots of show but don't tell going on here (like how the 31st of August is circled on the aquarium calendar and Kukuru seems annoyed/concerned by whatever it implies) and that is always a good thing, especially if this show is indeed gonna be two-cour. Our two leads immediately come across as very different people (could those school-uniforms be any more Nagi-Asu if they tried?) and I feel like they'll contrast each other well. I also fully expect that woman from the Tourism Association to play a wider role as the show progresses, especially if Fuuka's mother puts out a missing person's notice for her daughter (after all, TA was the first person to actually interact with Fuuka after her arrival in Okinawa).

That aside, with the Nagi-Asu director on board I should have expected water to play more of a role in this than just the setting be an aquarium, so getting a sequence of water magic straight away was interesting.

The mention of a Kijimuna - a Japanese yokai I had not heard of before despite owning a book on yokai and watching a lot of anime about yokai - was an interesting detail too, though I'm hoping I haven't accidentally foreshadowed future events by looking up what one is:

As for why I'm worried I could have found a hint to where the plot ends up going based on this:

This is looking very promising already, and I'm excited to see how this progresses.
AtavisticJul 8, 2021 2:25 PM
Jul 8, 2021 2:26 PM

Sep 2011
Will this be the first good PA Works anime since Shirobako? Probably not. First episode is already your very standard PA Works affair complete with trying to make me feel bad for the main character even though we are already told that her problem is her own creation. If you give up your big opportunity for someone else don't turn around and start feeling sorry for yourself.
Jul 8, 2021 2:32 PM

May 2011
The animation is really good and the characters are interesting so far.I'm really looking forward to watching this one weekly.
''I was dead serious''

Jul 8, 2021 2:33 PM

May 2016
Visuals are up to usual P.A. standards, OST is really nice, pacing is a little slow, but at 24 eps can afford to be, for now. Nice.
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Jul 8, 2021 2:34 PM
Feb 2021
Really enjoyed the first episode! The character designs are awesome.
Jul 8, 2021 3:00 PM
Nov 2016
This bring so much memory when i watched first eps of Sakura Quest but in different setting. I hope this series could keep me back every friday morning to take a short island tour of Okinawa and slightly emotional ride.
Jul 8, 2021 3:02 PM

Aug 2010
My most anticipated show of the season is here and I'm glad its 1st episode delivers.

As an idol fan, Fuuka's story and struggle was interesting. It felt real, and her struggle is relatable outside her career choice. Looking forward to learn more about Kukuru, she has something mysterious on her.

Also I thought this will be a normal SoL, but it seems there will be some supernatural things going here.
Jul 8, 2021 3:11 PM

Apr 2015
PA Works always manages to sell their shows so damn quick to me and Aquatope is no exception. Beautiful animation, scenery and relaxing OST.

Love the character designs and how similar they are with Iroduku, which is a great thing. Kukuru is pretty cute and I wonder if she's the actual director of the aquarium or just acting like one. If she truly is the director of that place, that's pretty impressive for a highschool girl.

The scene with the aquarium suddenly coming towards Fuuka was stunning, impressive PA Works magic right there. I love how we got to some animals up close, like a Manta Ray and a Whale Shark. From the first moment I saw that little guy walking around (and Fuuka paying no notice of him at all), I had a feeling it was gonna have something supernatural going for it, but the scene in question was a great surprise!

You done it again PA Works, got me instantly hooked! Also great news that it's a 2-cour show!!
Jul 8, 2021 3:22 PM

Apr 2012
lavv_ said:
good visuals, good soundtrack, good mc, it’s a yuri, what more could one ask for in an anime.

Who even said it was yuri, lol?

andyrightnow said:
Really hope that it doesn't turn out to be a generic drama-driven "friendship" show.

Especially hope that the nameless fishing enthusiast classmate dude doesn't turn out to be the 幼馴染 love interest or what not

I would probably drop the show at the speed of light if any love interest happens between any of the MC and the fishing dude

This is exactly a show about friendship, at least judging by the initial promotion. If you only care about yuri, Dragon Maid is shown literally in the next "hall".

@HamzaMyani At least not officially. I know some of the comments might be wishful thinking, but the authors didn't say anything about romance at all. Even straight.
RobertBobertJul 8, 2021 3:26 PM
Jul 8, 2021 3:39 PM
Dec 2011
Seems like a cute series. P.A. Works has made some bangers in the past so I'm really looking forward to this anime. Still a good amount of shows to watch this season .
jalsadfafaJul 8, 2021 3:42 PM
Jul 8, 2021 3:49 PM

Jun 2014
Seems pretty decent so far, hopefully it stays that way going forward.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 8, 2021 4:01 PM

Sep 2017
Feels very PA works original in a lot of ways. I mean solid premise. Like that it probably won't be school centric. Fuuka is 18 I think so she's already done with regular school anyway. But anyway for me a show like this rides or dies on the character writing so really I can't say anything after one ep.
Jul 8, 2021 4:04 PM

Apr 2012
ProofByColor said:
Feels very PA works original in a lot of ways. I mean solid premise. Like that it probably won't be school centric. Fuuka is 18 I think so she's already done with regular school anyway. But anyway for me a show like this rides or dies on the character writing so really I can't say anything after one ep.
ProofByColor said:

18 is roughly the age of a Japanese graduate. Typically, Japanese students turn 18 the year they leave school.
Jul 8, 2021 4:04 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Looks pretty good, but im not exactly sold on whats happening so far.. but its intriguing enough to at least give it the good ol' 3 episodes test
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 8, 2021 4:16 PM

Mar 2020
I hope this is a yuri or a shoujo-ai at the very least. Not really watching this for the romance though so it's whatever, hoping for yuri though.
But really pretty so far, hope the plot lives upto the visuals.
Jul 8, 2021 4:21 PM

Apr 2012
Judevin said:
I hope this is a yuri or a shoujo-ai at the very least. Not really watching this for the romance though so it's whatever, hoping for yuri though.
But really pretty so far, hope the plot lives upto the visuals.

Judging by the history of edits to the article about this show in the Japanese Wikipedia, even the Japanese themselves do not know the answer to this question. The article was even protected from edits in the spring. Either way, the writers are extremely quiet about the content of the show beyond a couple of general sentences, so they clearly hope for some kind of intrigue.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

138 by basskiller »»
Dec 11, 2023 5:15 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2021

78 by basskiller »»
Dec 10, 2023 6:06 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2021

74 by basskiller »»
Dec 10, 2023 12:00 AM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2021

85 by basskiller »»
Dec 8, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2021

105 by basskiller »»
Dec 5, 2023 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.