Forum Settings
Forums

Smartphone Game 'Girls' Frontline' Gets TV Anime

New
Jan 22, 2021 2:38 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

A livestream program for Sunborn Network's Girls' Frontline smartphone game announced a television anime on Friday. Warner Bros. Japan opened an official website, revealing a commemorative illustration (pictured), Asahi Production as the animation studio, and its 2021 debut.

China-based doujin circle MICA Team, later incorporated as Sunborn Network Technology Company, began developing the smartphone game in early 2015 and released it in Mainland China in May 2016, in South Korea the following June, and in English in May 2018. The game was released in Japan under the title Dolls Frontline in August 2018 due to another registrant already acquiring the original trademark.

Girls' Frontline serves as a prequel to MICA Team's 2013 role-playing game Codename: Bakery Girl, an enhanced version of the doujin circle's 2009 kinetic visual novel Girl of the Bakehouse.

BigFireBird Animation (Dahuo Niao Donghua) produced a 24-episode net anime series that ran between July and December in 2019. A second season streamed from October to December last year.

Synopsis
The game is set in a war-torn future where tactical dolls, more commonly known as T-Dolls, are almost exclusively used for combat in place of humans, some having been repurposed from their previous life as civilian androids. The majority of the world is uninhabitable due to contamination from the Collapse Fluid, and much of humankind is dead.

In 2062, the artificial intelligence of Sangvis Ferri spontaneously rebels, with their T-Dolls and robots killing their human masters and taking over nearby areas. In response, the private military company Grifon & Kryuger is hired to contain and eliminate Sangvis Ferri forces. (Source: Wikipedia, edited)

Official site: https://gf-anime.com/
Game official site (Chinese): https://gf-cn.sunborngame.com/
Game official site (Japanese): http://gf-jp.sunborngame.com/
Game official site (Korean): https://www.girlsfrontline.co.kr/
Game official site (English): http://gf.sunborngame.com/
Game official Twitter (Japanese): @GirlsFrontline
Game official Twitter (Korean): @girlsfrontlinek
Game official Twitter (English): @GirlsFrontlineE

Source: Moca News

Girls' Frontline on MAL
VindstotJan 22, 2021 3:27 PM

Jan 22, 2021 2:43 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
High hopes and careful optimism for this.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 22, 2021 2:57 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
IIRC this is that mobile game about firearms being girls. Probably would watch if only it has ufotable level of animation.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 22, 2021 3:36 PM

Oct 2017
Hopefully it will be a decent adaptation atleast.
Jan 22, 2021 3:44 PM
May 2015
Azur Lane, Fate/Grand Order and now Girls' Frontline has an anime adaptation.

Here's to hoping that maybe Genshin Impact will also get an anime adaptation 🥺👉👈? Although, there most likely won't be an adaptation of Genshin for years until all the 7 nations are out.

Jan 22, 2021 3:54 PM

Feb 2020
Was very hyped to see this earlier. Just hoping Asahi doesn't mess up bad - there's great potential in GFL's storyline.

Also considering the possibility of another CN game being adapted, so I would be quite stoked if Arknights got an anime adaptation as well.
Jan 22, 2021 4:00 PM

Oct 2017
I always wanted to play this, the art looks so good but its freaking Chibi and looks so bad.. why these anime games gotta be like that :((
Jan 22, 2021 4:39 PM

Feb 2019
An anime announced for a gacha that lies in its deathbed for a while now? Bold move, bold.
Jan 22, 2021 5:07 PM

Dec 2017
Kosmonaut said:
An anime announced for a gacha that lies in its deathbed for a while now? Bold move, bold.

How is GFL on its deathbed? It's been really successful for 5 years, enough to warrant a sequel, a remake of the game it's a prequel to and two spin-offs.
Jan 22, 2021 5:22 PM

Feb 2019
DatBisa said:
Kosmonaut said:

How is GFL on its deathbed? It's been really successful for 5 years, enough to warrant a sequel, a remake of the game it's a prequel to and two spin-offs.
It's not news that GFL popularity already hit its peak and has been going down, at least in the gacha community. Maybe that's what this anime is, an attempt at bringing in new players and it'll probably work, same as the AL anime did for the game.
Jan 22, 2021 6:14 PM

Jul 2015
Kosmonaut said:
DatBisa said:

It's not news that GFL popularity already hit its peak and has been going down, at least in the gacha community. Maybe that's what this anime is, an attempt at bringing in new players and it'll probably work, same as the AL anime did for the game.
It is true that compared to many other games like AL and AK, GFL is smaller and more niche (especially w/ AL’s blatant fanservice). However, I definitely wouldn’t say it’s on its “deathbed” as it’s still relatively successful, with no signs of coming to a stop anytime soon.
LunasiaJan 22, 2021 6:19 PM
Jan 22, 2021 6:24 PM
Apr 2014
yay I guess, one of the few gacha that has some interesting storyline
Jan 22, 2021 9:34 PM

Mar 2020
This could turn out great, the story starts out kinda cute/funny but then turns grimdark as fuck lol

I'm also addicted to the game and want to see my waifus animated so I'm biased.
Jan 22, 2021 11:01 PM

Jan 2010
As someone that plays the game for almost a year now, i´m super happy that this will finally get a anime (don´t know if it´s already confirmed to be a 12/13 ep season or not).
The story always had so much potential to give a good anime, especially because i like this kind of lore filled dark depressing stories.
Hopefully, fingers crossed, this ends up being good because the story is there.
RamaTheStrandedOtaku

Nier and MGS fan.
Jan 22, 2021 11:19 PM

Apr 2012
Will it be an original anime or an adaptation of one of the game's mangas?

jc9622 said:
Azur Lane, Fate/Grand Order and now Girls' Frontline has an anime adaptation.

Here's to hoping that maybe Genshin Impact will also get an anime adaptation 🥺👉👈? Although, there most likely won't be an adaptation of Genshin for years until all the 7 nations are out.

I even roughly know how it will look.

Jan 22, 2021 11:47 PM

Dec 2017
Rama_pt said:
As someone that plays the game for almost a year now, i´m super happy that this will finally get a anime (don´t know if it´s already confirmed to be a 12/13 ep season or not).

No official confirmation yet, but allegedly YZ said it'll be at least 1 cour with a movie being considered for later.

RobertBobert said:
Will it be an original anime or an adaptation of one of the game's mangas?

From the little we know from the reveal it'll adapt "the early story" of the game, not sure what that means in particular, but it lets us make some sort of rough guess I suppose.
Jan 23, 2021 1:28 AM

Aug 2010
Looking forward but at the same time, managing my expectations.

Hopefully, this Anime Adaptation will not end up as another piece of trash waiting to be incinerated by the fans of this franchise.
Post Office
Collection
Hall of Fame
Jan 23, 2021 3:45 AM

Jun 2016
Well new upotte isn't coming out and this seems to have andoids so I guess I'll watch it.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 23, 2021 3:48 AM

May 2018
Hopefully Arknights will be next to receive anime.
Jan 23, 2021 4:56 AM

Aug 2018
From what I have read this reminds me of azur lane
_______I like rocks__
Jan 23, 2021 5:22 AM

Jul 2015
More and more popular smartphone games are receiving TV anime adaptations.
Yet here I am, still waiting for Honkai Impact to receive it's own.

Jan 23, 2021 6:36 AM

Feb 2017
my expectation is low, i hope it turn out to be good.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Jan 23, 2021 7:17 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i was JUST RECENTLY wondering if this was ever gonna be a thing, especially with that chibi mini anime thing they have already

another HIGH potential for my favorites list<333333

EcchiGodMamsterJan 23, 2021 7:40 AM
Jan 23, 2021 8:04 AM

Apr 2011
Finally, been waiting for this. Even thought I don't play the game anymore, I'm still looking forward to it.

Just hoping the adaptation would be good.
Jan 23, 2021 8:09 AM

Dec 2018
I hope is going to be male free, and have strong Yuri vibes

Cute gun lesbians are awesome. And most importantly I want some lesbian kissing,,,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Jan 23, 2021 8:22 AM

Mar 2013
Well, I looking forward for it, because I think as well that this has potential...

...I just waiting that finally also Phantom of the Kill his/her deserved TV-adaptation gets - the 20 min. mini movie about few years ago wasn't enough for me...>_y
Jan 23, 2021 8:36 AM

Feb 2020
Yuri-Crusader said:

Cute gun lesbians are awesome. And most importantly I want some lesbian kissing,,,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

All I can say is that there will at least be 1 male character (being a guy from HQ, he won't appear very often tho) and mayybeee the commander (depending on what gender they give them, though it wouldn't affect the story anyways, at least i hope).

Just sayin, but if they adapt the actual game's story, I highly recommend you don't expect some sort of yuri vibe. Pointing it out now before you get disappointed or something.
Jan 23, 2021 8:42 AM

Oct 2020
HK416 🙏🙏🙏
Jan 23, 2021 8:59 AM

Dec 2018
Boazanian said:
Yuri-Crusader said:

All I can say is that there will at least be 1 male character (being a guy from HQ, he won't appear very often tho) and mayybeee the commander (depending on what gender they give them, though it wouldn't affect the story anyways, at least i hope).

Just sayin, but if they adapt the actual game's story, I highly recommend you don't expect some sort of yuri vibe. Pointing it out now before you get disappointed or something.

Lol I am used to get disappointed when it comes to Yuri =P

And sometimes I can accept a support male. If he keeps away from my females I can live with it =P

I haven't play the game myself but accordingly to others who have they claim it have Yuri vibes. But its not a big deal either way. I hope for Yuri but not expecting to much. At least I have the lovely lesbian fan art,,,YEEEEEEEEES

Yuri-CrusaderJan 23, 2021 9:04 AM
Jan 23, 2021 1:03 PM

May 2009
I liked the chibi anime, but damn this is great news. I hope they rewrite a bit of the beginning, but the story of Girls' Frontline is so good. I guess it took longer because it's maybe not as popular as some other gacha games. I doubt she's going to be in it, but I would absolutely love to see AK-12 show up even if it's just in the last episode.
Jan 23, 2021 4:51 PM
Aug 2011
Kosmonaut said:
DatBisa said:

Thanks for that insight. It makes sense, the game company is putting money into the pot to make the show, hoping to boost the fortunes of the franchise.

The bad part is that when they do this, it becomes unlikely that the show gets a sequel, for people who end up liking the show, since it's not being made with the direct intention of making a show that's profitable in its own right.

If the anime works and boosts the game they might decide it boosted it well enough and not care to fund a sequel, since a second season is never going to create the same buzz for the game, or it might fail and they don't want to fund a sequel either.
cipheronJan 23, 2021 4:59 PM
Jan 23, 2021 6:14 PM

Sep 2014
ANIMATED YEGOR-CHAN

ANIMATED YEGOR-CHAN

ANIMATED YEGOR-CHAN

damn the info around this is confusing, YZ teased that a movie might follow if its successfull. And idk if its a full season or just a 30 min standalone
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 23, 2021 10:33 PM

Jun 2019
Gun girls, huh?

It seems pretty interesting. I've heard of the game, but never looked into it at all. I'll probably watch the first episode if it ends up being a series, but I'm not sure if I'll follow it.
Jan 25, 2021 1:10 PM

Jul 2016
T-dolls?? Cute girls with massive ' weapons' ?
Jan 26, 2021 7:28 AM
Apr 2019
Why do people think this is gonna be some yuri sht, it’s the complete opposite and you will get ptsd
Jan 29, 2021 2:20 AM

Apr 2011
Game never really had lot of yuri. There is Thunder x Calico (which will not get into anime) and 416 being hardcore murderous yandere for M16 (who don't give a c**p). For all intents and purposes it's war drama with higher chance two T-dolls blows up then hook up...

Also I should probably mention T-dolls are are humanoid robots not personified guns.
Jan 29, 2021 3:47 PM

Jan 2011
been playing GFL since it's NA release it really has reached it's peak not to say it isn't doing well but it's kinda in it's last phase as we move on to GFL 2 and all the other spin off projects, this anime seems like a thing to spark some extra interest

the story is quite good in the later arcs aka events but i lately found them a drag to get through due to how annoying they can get and no voice overs spoiled by gbf

if this anime can cover some of the better spots and make interesting i'll be excited also they got our favorite artist for char designs
Mar 25, 2021 7:12 AM

Dec 2015
Rllybaka said:
Why do people think this is gonna be some yuri sht, it’s the complete opposite and you will get ptsd

Some anime fans can't cope with two characters interacting and need to satisfy their fantasies, even when its a work about the horrors of war, lol.
ArthurLopesMar 25, 2021 7:28 AM

Leave your limits.

More topics from this board

» Web Manga 'Niwatori Fighter' Receives Anime Adaptation

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

27 by MadanielFL »»
53 minutes ago

» 'Kakkou no Iinazuke' Gets Second Season in 2025

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

17 by fabiandewa19 »»
2 hours ago

» 'Chi.: Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite' Reveals Main Cast, Teaser Promo, Fall 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Jul 24

12 by bastek66 »»
8 hours ago

» 'Haigakura' Unveils More Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

1 by 40826DToothyCow »»
10 hours ago

» Web Manga 'Shakunetsu Kabaddi' Ends Serialization

DatRandomDude - Jul 24

2 by Yudesei »»
Yesterday, 4:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.