Forum Settings
Forums

Crunchyroll and Adult Swim Announce 'Shenmue' Anime Adaptation

New
Sep 4, 2020 7:26 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Crunchyroll announced an anime adaptation of Sega's action-adventure game series Shenmue during the Virtual Crunchyroll Expo on Friday, revealing the main staff and a teaser visual (pictured). The anime will run for 13 episodes.

Chikara Sakurai (One Punch Man 2nd Season, Majimoji Rurumo) is helming the anime at Telecom Animation Film. Yuu Suzuki, the creator of the Shenmue franchise, will serve as the executive producer for the project.

Sega released the first Shenmue game in Japan in December 1999 on the Dreamcast console, in November 2000 in North America, and December that year in Europe. The second game in the franchise was released in 2001 in Japan and Europe on the same console, followed by a reissue on Xbox in the US in 2002 and Europe in 2003.

A compilation of the first two games, Shenmue I & II, was released in 2018 on Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC. Sega published the third game, Shenmue III, worldwide last November on Playstation 4 and PC after a crowdfunding campaign, which began in June 2015.

The Shenmue anime adaptation marks the second collaboration between Crunchyroll and Adult Swim, with the first being Fena: Pirate Princess, which is being produced by Production I.G and is scheduled for a 2021 debut.

Source: Crunchyroll
ImperfectBlueFeb 2, 2022 8:05 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 4, 2020 7:32 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Can't wait. I just didn't know how to express my excitement upon seeing the announcement for this anime. This and a Yakuza anime or film were some of my most-wanted adaptations of all time!

(Also, I hope that my database submission gets approved! 👀)

About people saying it's the OPM2 director, he's only directed two products, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It's easy to make a product that doesn't land, then end up making one that does. I'd rather not base what Shenmue: The Animation has going on director alone, I'll wait until there is some more for me to take apart.

Remember that Telecom Animation Film is a subsidiary of TMS Entertainment, which in advance is owned by SEGA (Sammy Holdings). So, it makes sense why this studio was chosen in particular. TMS produced Sonic X, and Telecom produced a PSO2 anime. Now that would be something to make me question the status of this anime.
ChartTopper60Sep 5, 2020 3:34 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2020 7:56 PM
Jul 2018
Chikara Sakurai (One Punch Man 2nd Season)
Instant skip
Sep 4, 2020 8:11 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
What the heck, 2020 keeps throwing these surprise reveals at us lmao
I've never played this, but I have heard of it... don't really know much other than I know that it has its fans.
Crunchyroll funding "vidya gaem" adaptations too, huh?
Sep 4, 2020 8:17 PM
Jul 2017
I’m Dulin! WOOHUH
Sep 4, 2020 8:24 PM

Dec 2017
Excellent news!!!!
私が見たのが、ブギーポップだったのかどうかは分からない。
Sep 4, 2020 8:47 PM

Nov 2018
Director of One Punch man season 2... oh boy.
"Otaku search for patterns within data presented and draw conclusions. Anime fans only see clones and copies."
-artificialnightsky
Sep 4, 2020 8:50 PM

Jan 2009
lol at director of One Punch Man season 2

Sep 4, 2020 8:53 PM

Apr 2020
Not really sure how well this adaptation will turn out... shenmue isn't really the type of game that translates into a series
Sep 4, 2020 8:54 PM

Jul 2017
Shenmue fans represent! I can't wait to check this out, whenever it comes out! I'll definitely be watching.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2020 9:28 PM

Feb 2016
Just please for the love of all kami, don't mess this adaption up. I love this game series and instantly excited to hear that it finally getting an anime adaption, but I am worried that it will be butchered. Though I will keep my fingers crossed for it to be good.
Sep 4, 2020 9:36 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
CrunchyRoll x Telecome Animation Films. Didn’t click for me the earlier (Kami no Tou/Tower of God) but here’s to hoping this will.

Sounds like a pretty popular game, judging from the comments above. Hopefully, the anime will live up to the hype now.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 4, 2020 11:04 PM

Jun 2016
A lot of shenmue's charm comes from it being a video game so I don't know how well this will turn out.
Also I need to play the third game some day.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 5, 2020 12:55 AM
Jun 2020
It looks promising.
Sep 5, 2020 2:56 AM

Aug 2018
I'd never of seen this coming
_______I like rocks__
Sep 5, 2020 4:20 AM

Oct 2017
Havn't heard of this game before. Is this a moba? Also lol OPM s2 director.
Sep 5, 2020 4:35 AM
Jul 2018
hopefully the voice acting not as bad as the game
Sep 5, 2020 4:38 AM
Apr 2016
What is the game about?
Sep 5, 2020 6:09 AM
Aug 2016
The fact that the only director they could get is OPM S2 director (probably after getting fired of J.C Staff) tells me that this anime will suck chicken balls
Sep 5, 2020 7:11 AM
Apr 2017
Fitting considering how appallingly mediocre the plot, story and characters of shenmue are, the director of opms2 seems like the absolute perfect choice.
JanPri said:
What is the game about?
Infinite boredom, with a side dish of a cookie-cutting revenge story. There might be something else too, but I fell asleep while I was playing the end of the second one.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Sep 5, 2020 7:21 AM

Apr 2012
Is this the first adaptation?

Warcheef said:
Why would you do that especially after the Shenmue 3 shitshow? Why?!

Have you ever heard of such a thing as "advertising"?
Sep 5, 2020 8:20 AM

Aug 2010
This is the most random anime news of the month. Seriously, no one saw this coming.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 5, 2020 9:26 AM

May 2015
Shenmue! The director can mess up everything in the anime, BUT if he can maintain Ryo's character from the games, then that is all this anime needs to remain faithful to the games. Ryo's personality is going to matter more than anything else. They mess that up, and this anime adaptation is a wash.
Sep 5, 2020 9:39 AM
Jul 2018
It would have been better as a chapter taking place between shenmue 3 and 4. Impossible to fit everything into 4.5 hours
Sep 5, 2020 9:41 AM

Apr 2012
Warcheef said:
RobertBobert said:

Have you ever heard of such a thing as "advertising"?

Yeah, I'm sure advertising a game that literally everyone and their mothers trashed and is an epicgames exclusive will do wonders for the sales 😒

So, what's so strange about the creators choosing to make an anime to bring more attention to the franchise? Do you really think that authors should give up advertising and promotion if the original product does not sell well? I don't know how knowledgeable you are about business, but it doesn't work that way.
Sep 5, 2020 10:24 AM

Aug 2016
Nice, it will be interesting to see what they can do.
Honestly this could be quite good, the story can be adapted to an anime easily.
It might actually be able to flesh out some side characters and improve on some parts of the story, if the script is written by someone competent.
Animation wise it's bound to look better than the third game at least.
The voice acting is bound to far better too lmfao.
As for the directing, we shall see.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Sep 5, 2020 10:46 AM

Aug 2012
With the director of OPM S2, this could go anywhere.
Sep 5, 2020 10:56 AM

Sep 2017
Director of OPM S2 and the studio that adapted Tower of God

I feel bad for Shenmue fans
Sep 5, 2020 7:25 PM

Aug 2016
And here I am, still waiting for a Skies of Arcadia remake so it gets its own anime adaptation (wich will probably suck d*ck and will make me wish I never wished for that)
:v
Sep 5, 2020 8:03 PM
May 2015
MegamiRem said:
In terms of gameplay, it's like Persona except it's boring af. Actually, think of Persona's social sim, except it's just that and no dungeon crawling.

The only reason why this game was beloved is because it was one of the most technically impressive game, at the time that it came out. I don't even think the PS1 could output such graphics at the time.
jc9622Sep 5, 2020 8:06 PM

Sep 5, 2020 9:45 PM

Oct 2017
jc9622 said:
MegamiRem said:
In terms of gameplay, it's like Persona except it's boring af. Actually, think of Persona's social sim, except it's just that and no dungeon crawling.

The only reason why this game was beloved is because it was one of the most technically impressive game, at the time that it came out. I don't even think the PS1 could output such graphics at the time.
Ah i c thnx for the info. If it was anything close to Persona games then I would have tried it.
Sep 6, 2020 5:48 AM

Dec 2015
What's the point of this adpatation? Those games were never interesting thanks to their story... It was the systems they exploited/popularized , the "interactions", the fact you had a whole little neighbourhood "simulated", etc

jc9622 said:
I don't even think the PS1 could output such graphics at the time.

Well, you're comparing the first 128 bits generation console with Sony's 32bits model. It would be more fair to put the Dreamcast and PS2 in the same bag.
Sep 6, 2020 7:58 AM
Mar 2016
MegamiRem said:
jc9622 said:

Ah i c thnx for the info. If it was anything close to Persona games then I would have tried it.

You should give it a try, if you like the life simulator aspects of persona theres a good chance you will enjoy Shenmue. I love persona and shenmue, some people say Shenmue is boring because its a slower type of game. Although there is alot to love, especially in terms of story. Lets put it this way, I think there is alot more in common between Persona and Shenmue than say Yakuza. This is coming from a fan of all 3 franchises and has actually played each.
Sep 6, 2020 8:44 AM
May 2015
Rei_III said:
What's the point of this adpatation? Those games were never interesting thanks to their story... It was the systems they exploited/popularized , the "interactions", the fact you had a whole little neighbourhood "simulated", etc

jc9622 said:
I don't even think the PS1 could output such graphics at the time.

Well, you're comparing the first 128 bits generation console with Sony's 32bits model. It would be more fair to put the Dreamcast and PS2 in the same bag.
Yea, my bad. I forgot the PS1 came out on 1994. I thought it came out around 1998 and I also thought the Dreamcast came out around the same time as the PS1.

Sep 6, 2020 4:22 PM

May 2020
Wow, this is surprising and unexpected. I’m a huge fan of Shenmue. These kinds of game adaptations usually turn out mediocre at best, but I’ll remain cautiously optimistic until it’s out.
Sep 7, 2020 1:11 AM

Oct 2010
Its all going to come down to budget. One Punch Man 2 sucked mostly becase of extremely cheap and poor action scenes using every trick in the book to skimp on frames. If this show manages to circumvent that by making a peaceful/serene style avoiding need much smooth action, then the backstory already penned by Suzuki should provide enough good material to make something good, especially since much of it has already been animated 20 years ago.

But I still would be $50k that numerous 'old school fans' will rise out of obscurity to bash this show no matter what because it betrays 'their true vision' of the series from their adolescence.

MichaelJackson said:
And here I am, still waiting for a Skies of Arcadia remake so it gets its own anime adaptation (wich will probably suck d*ck and will make me wish I never wished for that)

You are also a man of refined tastes I see.

Warcheef said:
RobertBobert said:

So, what's so strange about the creators choosing to make an anime to bring more attention to the franchise? Do you really think that authors should give up advertising and promotion if the original product does not sell well? I don't know how knowledgeable you are about business, but it doesn't work that way.

I am a marketing advisor... And yes it does.

The potential margins for this series are likely better than your average manga tie-in anime. Many people bash Shenmue for poor sales but in comparison it almost certainly earns more than most manga vying for seasonal anime. Its become a pet project of gamers to bash Shenmue anywhere and everywhere, and frankly its embarrassing.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
MonkeyDHunterSep 7, 2020 2:13 AM
Sep 7, 2020 2:32 AM

Sep 2014
I don't know what to expect from this at all. It's literally the latest thing I could think of, honestly. The first two games are some of my all-time favourites while 3 while I wouldn't call it bad is pretty underwhelming given the long wait both in terms of story and gameplay. Not sure how it will feel watching this in a weekly-format. I want to believe they will nail the SoL elements of the series. The director choice given his work on OPM2 makes it a bit "ehh" but we will see. As a major fan of the series, I hope it will turn out good but realistically my expectations as of now are pretty low.
Sep 8, 2020 2:59 PM

May 2009
Holy flipping martial arts from Dreamcast days!!!!
Gaming channel just for fun: https://www.youtube.com/cataorshane
Sep 16, 2020 12:29 AM

Apr 2012
Warcheef said:
RobertBobert said:

I am a marketing advisor... And yes it does.

Are you a marketing advisor and genuinely confident that a poorly selling product doesn't need advertising? Whoa, dude, it's good that you're not working for me.
Sep 16, 2020 8:35 AM

Apr 2012
Warcheef said:
RobertBobert said:

Are you a marketing advisor and genuinely confident that a poorly selling product doesn't need advertising? Whoa, dude, it's good that you're not working for me.

I agree, I wouldn't want to work for a man who would be facing bankrapcy in no time.
What you do not understand is that depending on how poorly your product sells there is a point where you must cut your losses instead of bleeding additional money for a lost cause with no hope of actual profit. Shenmue 3 is a financial deadweight, good luck selling that.

Dude, do you understand that advertising is a means to draw attention to your product, and not some kind of proof of the quality of your product?

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
1 hour ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
2 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
4 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
5 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.