Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kakushigoto: My Dad's Secret Ambition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 18, 2020 9:13 AM

Jul 2017
ngl at first I thought this show was gonna be as mediocre as SZS given the comedic style in the beginning, but I'm glad I was wrong. While certainly the comedic aspects weren't the best tbh, I absolutely loved the more dramatic parts and the father-daughter bonding moments were fukin amazing. This final ep was pretty nice, lol at Hime (trying) becoming a shoujo romance mangaka while keeping it a secret :P

Overall, definitely one of my more favourite shows this season which honestly surprised me

Hidden Score/10
Jun 18, 2020 9:21 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Right, so it turned out to be emotional bait after all but I still shed some tears this episode. Gotou-sensei deserved this second chance and I can't begin to express how happy I'm for Hime-chan.

It's good to know that he didn't fall into despair once again this time though, he has kept Hime-chan waiting for long after all. And in the process, the most priceless 18th Birthday gift too, I suppose. Happy for Rasuna-san too, she's made it in to the top and that too quite deservedly so. And then there's Tomaruin being Tomaruin, lol...

Loved the final two minutes a ton as well. Hime-chan's secret xD, clearly runs in the family - like father, like daughter, I see.

Hime-chan at the start trying to keep the secret intact was tough to watch but that just made the whole "selfish" act all the more touching and encouraging.

Gotou-sensei's generational lineage and whatnot felt a little unnecessary to be honest. Hime-chan with her artistic skills and the half-sister deciding to keep the place as it was was definitely sweet though. And finally an insight into the rocky relationship between Gotou-sensei and his father-in-law.

Geez, the rumors spreading causing a drop in the sales of his manga really hurt. Also, Gotou-sensei's eager search for his wife to put the icing on the cake. Just heartbreaking stuff.

Overall, this show has been roller coaster ride with laughs, smiles and tears alike. I decided to check this out even before the airing of the show thanks to the hype building up over in Japan at the time, and I'm just really glad that I didn't sleep on this one (accidentally).

Studio Ajia-do did a commendable job with this project too, it must be said. Very Shaft-like artstyle, consistent animation and a good soundtrack. Definitely going to be missing the artistic Op visuals and the fantastic song, and the great ED themes too.

Solid 8/10 from me.
_MushiRock11_Jun 18, 2020 9:38 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 18, 2020 9:32 AM

Feb 2020
The Ending is so great!! This show, Yesterday wo Uttate,Nami yo Kiitekure and Kaguya sama,are all my favourite in this season.
Jun 18, 2020 9:32 AM
Nov 2019
Episode felt a bit rushed and the extra family drama of the half-brother and Kabuki lineage being thrown in felt inconsistent, but still the feels train hit with "Who are you?".

Could have done with an extra length last episode or 13 episodes but had a satisfying conclusion.

Now the tables are turned and Hime is keeping her Manga drawings a secret from her father....

I feel this had a much more satisfying conclusion than "Yesterday wo Uttate" is going to have...

Loved the artwork, music adaptation and most of the humour - 9/10.

BTW : was it just the version I watched or are there subs missing for some of the dialogue during the end-theme?
penrhosJun 18, 2020 9:39 AM
Jun 18, 2020 9:35 AM

Sep 2018
WOW, that was a f*ing emotional roller coaster!(tears left and right!)
Seeing him having a accident at the job and then waking up from the come with amnesia and not recognizing Hime was heart breaking.
Hime playing his assistant and Sensei saying that seeing Hime grow up would make him the happiest was a beautiful trigger for Hime to act up and help him remember...

Without a doubt my favorite anime this season(out of all the new anime this season).

well that's just my opinion.....
Jun 18, 2020 9:39 AM

Mar 2016
The pathos really slapped hard with this episode. I know this show may not connect with everyone based on a few comments I see here, but this single episode accomplished within a short amount of time many times more than the entirety of something like Sing Yesterday or Tower of God....at least from my perspective.

The part when Kakushi was like "what I want the most to see Hime grow up" and having the current Hime being right there to hear it....that really slapped hard.

8.5/10

P.S. Tbh, I enjoyed this a bit more than Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei because the comedic material of that series has me a bit lost at times, especially during the last couple of seasons, to where my engagement levels lapsed a lot more than I wanted. In fairness, Kakushigoto is still significantly different in nature.
RyuseishunJun 18, 2020 9:45 AM
Jun 18, 2020 9:40 AM

Oct 2017
I'll admit that this episode was a bit (a lot) cliche and that people spoiled the whole coma thing from the first episode, but it definitely still made me tear up. I thought it was a beautiful way to end the show, even though there were some unnecessary things added.

Also having Hime be a manga artist too is pretty funny 😂
Jun 18, 2020 9:41 AM
Feb 2020
I started crying two minutes in, and as soon as he said "Who Are You?" I started letting down a river down my face. I literally haven't cried so hard since the ending of Your Lie in April. My eyes literally hurt.

In all seriousness, I absolutely think this is one of the best shows of the season. The comedy was great, and the slow dramatic buildup to the end was amazing. It's the first anime I watched parallel to its release, so maybe I'm a bit biased, but I think it was an amazing show with an even better ending.

Solid 9/10 from me!
Jun 18, 2020 9:43 AM

Mar 2017
it could be because of the way I watched it, or it could be because this was such a great series, but damn this episode toyed with mah kokoro

am now feeling empty, but my love for watching anime has reignited
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Jun 18, 2020 9:47 AM

Aug 2014
Wasn't as sad an ending as I would have expected it. Felt much more heart warming than sad. Anime of the season imo 9/10.

Also, I got confused on the whole sister/brother thing. Can someone explain that to me? Also, Which chapter do I start reading from?
RPWPAJun 18, 2020 10:01 AM
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jun 18, 2020 9:49 AM

Jan 2016
I liked this show. This episode at least pointed out the cliche being used. I found what happened funny. I guess Hime is vaguely related to that guy?
Jun 18, 2020 9:53 AM
Mar 2016
That was an Incredible ending, very emotional didnt expect smt so heavy when i started T.T. Ofc the Amnesia trope has been used too many times before heck even Tomaruin thought so too but it was done well here. Man the Music in this episode made it more emotional it was great throughout. Albeit a few things were unnecessary here but in the end it was satisfying. ^^

Pretty sure this is gonna be one underrated gem this year. Might be mistaken as dad's love gone the wrong way or smt lol but thats not the case definitely didn't expect such a good heartwarming show. Its kinda poetic too.

The humor's pretty weird, Dad being kinda like the lewd manga making superhero who doesnt want his identity to be revealed lol and also all the inside jokes on the manga industry might not be enjoyed by ppl although i laughed my head off. That Police misunderstanding in ep 2 was one of the funniest shit i've seen, I Legit cried laughing.

The OP song is done by my fav band and its freaking awesome, i think i started watching this because of that XD.

9/10 would recommend if u want a unique show.

Jun 18, 2020 9:57 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Outstanding last episode which amplifies all the previous ones.
So every ends of episodes were the actual present and real timeline of the anime and all the comedy moments were from Goto's memories with his daughter ? It addresses really well the sudden comming of age and that it's important to appreciate the little things in life, great.
Jun 18, 2020 9:58 AM

Mar 2018
Hmmm, the last episode felt so rushed and added things that it feels off at the end... I really wanted to give this show a 10/10, but with the last episode, I can only give it a 9/10 which doesn't make it less fun or great though!

I really loved this show and really was missing something like this, I will miss this kind of anime for sure. It hits hard when you hear that he is worrying about his 10 year-old Hime while Hime is in the room and that he wishes for her to be healthy and growing up. It brought tears to my eyes ;_; Time to put the Opening on repeat again.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Jun 18, 2020 10:00 AM

Feb 2016
Even tho I hate the Amnesia cliché, I admit this was handled really good and made perfect sense.

"Anywhere is good as long as I'm with you Father"

Quote of the season.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jun 18, 2020 10:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Wouldn't say I was an overwhelming fan of Kakushigoto in general but this was a pretty cool ending I have to say. Tied things together quite nicely. Amnesia is a pretty overused cliché though but at least it was applied in a fairly tasteful way
Jun 18, 2020 10:03 AM

Feb 2020
i wish the ending was spread out over two episodes or something it felt a bit rushed but everything about the ending felt so perfect. the ending made my score go from a 7 to an 8.

hopefully we can get some ovas to see how they're doing but wow this anime made me feel so warm and happy.
Jun 18, 2020 10:04 AM

Aug 2015
RPWPA said:
Also, I got confused on the whole sister/brother thing. Can someone explain that to me?

Yeah that confused me as well. Technically they are half-cousins because his Mum and Goto are half-siblings.
Jun 18, 2020 10:07 AM

Aug 2014
Albaer said:
RPWPA said:
Also, I got confused on the whole sister/brother thing. Can someone explain that to me?

Yeah that confused me as well. Technically they are half-cousins because his Mum and Goto are half-siblings.

What? I thought Goto married his step-sister.

Jun 18, 2020 10:11 AM

Apr 2011
Gonna be honest, it didn't quite live up to the build up. Missed the mark, but just by a bit. Still, it's been a fun ride and I wouldn't really change much about it.
Jun 18, 2020 10:13 AM
Dec 2017
RPWPA said:
Albaer said:

Goto and his sister had same dad - but they was born from different mothers. Struggle between Goto and his wife's dad is an important part of the story and it was repeated in this episode, remember?
SondferJun 18, 2020 10:19 AM
Jun 18, 2020 10:17 AM

Aug 2015
RPWPA said:
Albaer said:

I watched it again to be sure: Goto's dad (the Kabuki actor) and his mistress had Goto, and his dad and another woman (presumable his wife) had Goto's half-sister. Goto's wife was completely unrelated to him; the daughter of the Japanese artist. They had Hime, and Goto's half sister had the young guy (Hime's half-cousin). It's kind of confusing with the way they infodumped it.
Jun 18, 2020 10:18 AM

May 2018
Oh so, Hime's mother and dad were half siblings...

Goto being seen working in a storage facility where it has lotsa unsold manga was probably the time he quit being a mangaka....

Rasuna becomes a mangaka herself.
Jun 18, 2020 10:24 AM

Aug 2014
Albaer said:
RPWPA said:

I watched it again to be sure: Goto's dad (the Kabuki actor) and his mistress had Goto, and his dad and another woman (presumable his wife) had Goto's half-sister. Goto's wife was completely unrelated to him; the daughter of the Japanese artist. They had Hime, and Goto's half sister had the young guy (Hime's half-cousin). It's kind of confusing with the way they infodumped it.
Sondfer said:
RPWPA said:

Goto and his sister had same dad - but they was born from different mothers. Struggle between Goto and his wife's dad is an important part of the story and it was repeated in this episode, remember?

Thanks for the help. I watched it again and it does make more sense now after reading this.

Jun 18, 2020 10:24 AM
Jan 2018
Albaer said:
RPWPA said:

^ this
for people who confused about that thing
Jun 18, 2020 10:33 AM

Jan 2013
that first half was a big “oh damn” moment. i am glad Rasuna became a big name and has her old co-worker buddies to work for her in the end, she is the glue of that old group. also i got so scared for Hime when she was running recklessly

8/10 for me, only thing holding back from a 9 was ALOT of Tomaruin’s stuff

Albaer said:

thank you for this, even tho i had to reread it like 3 time for my tiny brain to process it lol
Jun 18, 2020 10:42 AM
Nov 2017
I laughed and cried from beginning to end of the episode

One of the best of the season without a doubt
Jun 18, 2020 10:46 AM

Mar 2017
That was the perfect end to this beautiful anime. It wasn't the ending I expected but it was still so emotional and honestly, it was better than what I thought it was going to be. Now that we know everything, it really makes you appreciate all the little details throughout the anime (like the truth about the boxes).

I'm definitely going to read the manga because I'm guessing it's different from the anime (what with the anime ending being pretty final but the manga only just ending).
Jun 18, 2020 10:46 AM
𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

Apr 2020
11 awesome episodes and a really rushed ending. Would have given a 7 but the fact that I was watching it when it was ongoing and helped me connect with the characters a bit better makes it an 8. I definitely do not regret picking this show, considering the fact I'm not a big fan of comedy and didn't expect much from the show when it started. Pretty disappointed about how it ended.
Jun 18, 2020 10:50 AM

Aug 2015
dannymilk said:
thank you for this, even tho i had to reread it like 3 time for my tiny brain to process it lol

RPWPA said:
Thanks for the help. I watched it again and it does make more sense now after reading this.

No worries :) I was initially pretty confused too so it was good to go back and make sense of it all.
Jun 18, 2020 11:14 AM

May 2018
I enjoy this much more than Zetsubo Sensei. A solid 8/10 from me.
Jun 18, 2020 11:35 AM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
That ending definitely bumped this anime up a notch for me! Too bad we don't get to see the future of Goto finding out about his daughter's love for drawing manga. I also wouldn't have minded if the ending had at least implied a future romantic relationship for Goto-sensei (though it was a good choice to not have had that happen prior to his accident, since it would have distracted from Hime-Goto relationship beats.)
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Jun 18, 2020 11:45 AM

Jul 2014
Goto remembering everything through his manuscripts was such a nice moment. And I knew the OP was coming, but I couldn't help but get a big smile.

I love how supportive his assistants are. Even Rasuna puts aside her manga for Sensei's well being. It makes me so happy that she is doing so well, best girl deserves the best! And it's great that Goto's old assistants are now her assistants. EDIT: Wait, no. One of them said they hadn't worked together in a while, and the other one said he didn't think he'd ever hold a pen like that again, and we saw him working in a bookstore a couple of episodes ago. Even at the end, in Rasuna's office we see them working manually, while Rasuna and her actual assistants work in digital. So most likely not.

Man, what a great episode and a great ending, I loved it! But, at the same time I feel that it lacked something or could have used one more episode to flesh it out more. All in all, it was satisfying and it saddens me that it's over. Such a great show, my favorite non-sequel anime of the season.

SkyLETVJun 18, 2020 10:31 PM
Jun 18, 2020 11:49 AM

May 2019
"How cliche can you be?! Amnesia?!"
I was thinking of exactly how cliche it was during that time. Even in the most serious moment, Kakushigoto manages to lighten the mood with such jokes and I love it for that.

All in all, a nice end for a great series. This might be my AOTS, depending on Nami yo Kiitekure's ending tomorrow.

Now onto the manga!
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jun 18, 2020 12:07 PM

Nov 2013
wow, it's been a while since i was this thrilled to see the end-ending!
For a moment i was even having doubts that the show would spit on us and end on a bad note; gladly everything turned out good, though amnesia part was too much in my opinion (funny how the show itself made fun of this); it got resolved too quickly as well. Overall, super glad it had a happy ending after all.

So, in the end daddy stayed loyal to her (dead) wife and all those hungry women who were after him - got nothing :(

Hime ended up continuing the father's legacy xD

P.S So the ED was pretty much a spoiler; a car with Hime, her father and an already old dog, going forward all together.
Jun 18, 2020 12:08 PM

Feb 2018
This was the best episode of the whole series!!

Even in the normal episodes, the [future] part was really interesting. Not that, the normal fun part was bad. In fact those parts setup for those amazing [future] scenes and this amazing finale.
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Jun 18, 2020 12:09 PM

Jan 2012
I barely never do it, but for this one, I want to add my own stone to this monument of anime. [Kakushigoto] is truly a beautiful show. Those last 12 weeks my country (and the world) was struggling (and is still) with the pandemia, this anime really helped me a lot. It was one of those light I keeped aiming to each week. The themes (OP & ED) are really great and the soundtrack with "18yo Hime" beautiful. All the characters (especially the girls and women) are sublime and some episodes are utterly funny! For sure, I will miss it! I won't forget it and is a the top of my list for AOTS / AOTY.

Also, that ending. Too much times we had disappointing endings. For once, it was a tearful and beautiful ending.
Jun 18, 2020 12:20 PM

Jul 2013
I'm not a big fan of mixing comedy and drama, but this anime did it very well, and this episode was a good proof of that. Very nice conclusion, it didn't felt that rushed and the final scene where Goto recovers his memories after seeing the drafts from his manga were incredibly heartwarming, a great way to end the anime.

It was very kind of Hime's grandfather to pay Gotou's medical bills. Poor guy (Gotou), his family story is rather complicated, and what he had to suffer after the story behind his wife was revealed was very sad.
Was nice seeing Rasuna as a succesful mangaka (with her previous co-workers as her assistants), she was best girl.

Not exactly what I expected from Kumeta-sensei (considering his other works like SZS or Katte ni Kaizou), but I liked it a lot. One of the anime I liked the most this season by far.
Jun 18, 2020 12:44 PM
Jun 2019
Damn,i'm so glad we have happy end!
Hime is drawing manga now and Goto Sensei is finally BACK!

But you know..I think it would be much more interesting to watch episodes about his bad time.
About how he lose his job,how they were struggling,how they moved to small flat,
how he fell into a coma.

Anyway,i'm glad Goto sensei is alive and Hime is happy.
Jun 18, 2020 12:50 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
That was a great last episode. They did a great job of tying everything up. I really enjoyed this show and it's definitely AOTS for me (if you don't include sequels). I loved the art style and that's one of my favourite EDs ever. Plus, it was great to hear Hiroshi Kamiya shout "Hime!" at least once an episode.

I will say that I don't think I would have enjoyed this anime anywhere near as much as I did if I hadn't spoiled myself. It goes into the rare category of anime that are better spoiled because it was too distressing thinking that he was dead the whole time. It would've meant I couldn't enjoy the cute slice of life comedy thinking about that reveal so I'm glad I spoilt myself.

Overall, very good. 8/10. Also, this is officially my 200th anime completed :)

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Jun 18, 2020 12:54 PM
Mar 2020
what a brilliant package of wholesomeness it was the scene where Goto remembered everything by going through the manga almost brought me to tears I am going to miss the banging opening and the ending it had
Jun 18, 2020 1:03 PM

Nov 2017
I agreed with what Tomaruin said, im gonna miss that guy

but this was a very sweet and good ending of the anime :))

plz @ me
Jun 18, 2020 1:15 PM

Feb 2007
And we're ending this with meta jokes, of course. :D
Jun 18, 2020 1:28 PM

Jul 2016
Solid 10 from me. Would've been lower, but this episode paid everything off for me.
If anything, this anime makes me sad how true-to-life it is. People don't think much about how they spout out their opinions, dislikes and words onto others and how that affects individuals, families and such. This show definitely expresses that, even if it wasn't the focus.

Jun 18, 2020 1:30 PM

Apr 2014
Quite of disappointing ending. Imo it ruined the balance between comedy, slice of life and drama the whole show previously established. Don't get me wrong, a good ending fits way better but I feel like that the show did not accept responsibility and renounced to a dramatic or bittersweet ending at the last moment.
Why would you even try to do foreshadowing at such extant and then use such a silly final plot? (+ it was way too rushed)

6.5/10 rounded down to 6/10

Rest of the show was pretty good, with the Goto-Hime and Goto-Tomaruin being the best dynamics for obviously different reasons. The pseudo harem's comedy was rather weak though.
Jun 18, 2020 1:34 PM

Jan 2016
What a fantastic ending for this wholesome show
Jun 18, 2020 1:47 PM
May 2019
This episode was dumb and sad and I didnt like it at all. 5/5
Jun 18, 2020 1:58 PM

Jun 2014
More amnesia? *Flashbacks to a certain manga that just recently ended intensifies.* At least the amnesia wasn't permanent though, thank goodness for Hime and her decision to spark Goto's memory with the finished manuscripts.

All in all, a great, touching, and emotional conclusion and I loved seeing everything come together in the end. The only complaint I have is how random the half-brother thing felt, but whatever. Still a fun show and I'll miss it.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 18, 2020 2:12 PM

Jul 2016
TBH, the first half of the reveal was a little bit disappointing, because the new kid didn't really add anything, but then again, the thing with reveal endings to big mysteries is that they're always at least a little disappointing. It's just a side effect of the viewer's imagination not being met.

Apart from that, I'm glad I got to see it. This is the best show of the season by far, possibly of the year. I can't see anything from the upcoming season matching it, but there is still Fall. Anyway, lovely little show. Would watch again.
Jun 18, 2020 2:17 PM

Jan 2018
Wew, so that's what happened to Goto-sensei after all. Damn that Jump reader.

Hime also inherited his grandfather's art skills. But she has also a secret: an aspiring manga artist as well except without the dirty jokes of course.

Although that was cliche (as even explicitly stated by Tomaruin), I still liked it.

I'll be missing this anime, I'll try to read the manga ending if i can.

8/10
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Marinate1016 - May 28, 2020

80 by Mailo91 »»
Mar 26, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

226 by removed-user »»
Sep 4, 2023 10:22 AM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ashhk - May 21, 2020

93 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 2, 2023 5:28 AM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2020

111 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 1, 2023 2:46 PM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Marinate1016 - Jun 11, 2020

89 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 23, 2023 11:23 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.