Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kakushigoto: My Dad's Secret Ambition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2020 7:45 AM

Feb 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yay finally it’s Thursday, waited all week for another episode!

Based on how the OP starts with the seasons changing as Hime looks at her dad and then gradually transitions to him disappearing makes me believe there’ll be a bitter sweet transition here

The art style is so aesthetically pleasing. The only show I can think of that’s ever been similarly pleasing is humanity has declined

Hime in Yukata is so cute. That whole sequence with trying to prevent her from seeing the references to the manga was hilarious

Aw, so I’m guessing those yukata/clothes were sewed for her and saved for the various ages of her life VE episode 10 flashback intensifies

Edit: End of the episode seems to confirm my theory. Definitely didn’t want to be right on that.
Marinate1016Apr 9, 2020 7:56 AM
Apr 9, 2020 7:46 AM

Nov 2011
I really like the natural feeling of this episode in terms of the setting with its seaside elements. We got another entertaining episode with tons of character humor.

Gotou's personality highlights a lot of his character reactions and observative nature. The humor in this anime also continues to amuse me with Gotou caught into weird circumstances.

Apr 9, 2020 7:59 AM

Jul 2017
Meh episode. Again, decent dynamic between the characters in general but regarding the comedy, eh. Doesn't really work with me, but then again, comedy is incredibly subjective and in this case, it bored me.
animejasApr 9, 2020 8:15 AM
Apr 9, 2020 8:02 AM

Apr 2016
Those boxes in a closet ... that thing ... suddenly i know in what direction this show is heading. Oh my god. Also manga readers, how long is this ? baka updates says it has 11 volumes, and 90th chapter is in volume 4, how big is this manga ? 600 chapters or something ?
SwagernatorApr 9, 2020 8:19 AM
Apr 9, 2020 8:08 AM

Apr 2010
So wait... is he dead or what?
Apr 9, 2020 8:44 AM

Jun 2015
That ending. I also feel like growing up Hime is reflecting on people past. Damn! This show, most excellent in its presentation.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 9, 2020 8:47 AM

Jan 2014
Helicopter dad is hilarious
Apr 9, 2020 8:56 AM

Jul 2017
Better than the first episode by a decent margin, and the first episode was already really good.
The comedy had a better flow this time around too.

Seeing the different boxes corresponding to ages was definitely the highlight.

Excluding sequels and whatnot, I anticipate this being among the best of the season.

8.5/10
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Apr 9, 2020 9:02 AM

Jan 2016
That was a really great episode as well. Already becoming one of my favourites this season.

Kakushi really is an overprotective parent, huh. Though the anime makes his case really funny. Also rip to their company trip, they ended up cleaning then drawing manga, just like they normally do.

The part when Kakushi found out that the mom hand sewn all the clothes for Hime for the future was really heartwarming. It's really nice for parents to make or do things for their child for the future. Though, does this mean that the mom knew that she'd "leave" early?

Also that last part??? Now I'm extremely curious as to what happened between Hime and Kakushi. Like the others said, I feel like this will have a bittersweet ending. I'll read the manga once the anime is over so I won't get spoilers for this.
Apr 9, 2020 9:04 AM
Jul 2018
Another great episode. They really know what to cut out in order to make the episode flow good at a fast pace. I think it's for the best to show the present segments after the past. Also, Ami's VA is doing a great job .

Swagernator said:
Those boxes in a closet ... that thing ... suddenly i know in what direction this show is heading. Oh my god. Also manga readers, how long is this ? baka updates says it has 11 volumes, and 90th chapter is in volume 4, how big is this manga ? 600 chapters or something ?

the chapters vary in length, but a single volume shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. There's quite a lot of stuff that the anime had to sacrifice for the sake of making the episode flow good . They've got their priorities in all the right places, but I definitely encourage you to read the manga.

Mortzzzzzz said:
How many chapters are in 1 volume?

20-30 chapters. Most volumes are 156 pages long, but there are a few longer ones. Vol.1 -188 . Vol.2-172. Vol.5 - 164 . Vol.6 is 140 and the rest is 156 pages each. Most chapters are short.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenApr 18, 2020 8:03 AM
Apr 9, 2020 9:35 AM

Aug 2013
From the OP and the last part of this episode, you can tell where this is heading. :(

Anyways, it was a good episode. It was funny how Gotou and his group ended up drawing manga at the end.

I ship Gotou with that sensei.

Apr 9, 2020 9:36 AM

Jun 2017
so...is he dead? i dont care if u spoil it for me
Apr 9, 2020 9:48 AM

Nov 2016
When the imagination of overprotective parents is running wild lmao. There were some pretty hilarious moments, for instance that Indian-chef fan that casually came by to literally spice up the curry. Made it even funnier that he went overboard as Gotou trying to hide the truth from his daughter.

Also fucking lol at the misunderstanding with the police.

The grown-up Hime sequences still give the melancholic vibe in contrast to the otherwise lighthearted atmosphere. I'm usually a fan of tragedy, but here I actually hope it's just bait :S

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 9, 2020 9:53 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Another fantastic episode, this is off to a flier!

It's too early to infer from the final moments before the ED there, I feel. I'm getting similar vibes too as many above here too but I just feel like we might barking at the wrong tree here, and I'll be sincerely hoping that from now on lol.

Quite the bizarre turnout of events there at the start xD. Some more glorious misunderstandings from the Sensei and the Indian Chef bit but the fact that the adult group went back to drawing manga was the lol moment for me.

Festival scene was hilarious too, I wonder if Goto-sensei's wallet will be handle the load of what's to befall next year. And the police check up on the workplace xD.

By the way, it's the late mother who left those boxes right? I nearly got teary-eyed there...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 9, 2020 10:02 AM
Feb 2020
I loved the episode! For me, it felt on par with the first episode. Had lots of laugh and the dynamics between the characters were amazing, especially Hime and her father. It all felt extremely natural, which is great.

I started the anime thinking I was up for a feels-good kind of anime with a happy ending, but after seeing the beginning of the OP and the ending of this episode, I think I might be wrong about this :(

However, this anime is becoming one of my fav this season by FAR. It has me anxiously waiting for the next episode.
Apr 9, 2020 10:14 AM

Sep 2017
Very cute and fun. Returning to the preset at the end makes me think we will be spending a couple mins there ever ep or so. It's pretty interesting how sad the tone was in contrast. Obviously stuff about the mom will be addressed.
Apr 9, 2020 10:23 AM

Dec 2010
That ending though...

Really enjoyed the first half though. Kept laughing all throughout. Need moar Kamiya Hiroshi...
Apr 9, 2020 10:54 AM
May 2019
I was hyped for this anime and so far it's living it. The comedy and drama in each half makes it so interesting.
I can't wait for the continuation of the story.
Apr 9, 2020 10:55 AM

May 2019
I came here for the comedy but I guess I may meet some heavy feels along the way.

I love this so much, it's my AOTS candidate (for now, it's too soon to be certain of anything)
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Apr 9, 2020 11:00 AM

Apr 2013
This is my favourite show this season and I'm so hyped for it!! Loved this episode as well. The comedy is gold and there were tons of jokes. I also loved the last segment of the episode too. Very nice directing and good story telling :D Wonder what happens.
Apr 9, 2020 11:19 AM

Apr 2009
The jokes are unoriginal and the execution is bad. Dropped. Also, the main character worships that child like it's a goddess.
Apr 9, 2020 11:22 AM

Apr 2016
jTiKey said:
The jokes are unoriginal and the execution is bad. Dropped. Also, the main character worships that child like it's a goddess.

Yeah, well ... sometimes that's what happens to the parents when you know .. they have kids.
Apr 9, 2020 11:29 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That end... I hope Sensei is still fine 8 years later
Apr 9, 2020 11:38 AM

Jul 2013
I feel that the ending is going to be sad. Dammit, I came here to laugh, not to cry :'(
Apr 9, 2020 11:58 AM

Apr 2014
I am dying at how good this is. Its almost not fair when a legends work is adapted. The studio is doing a wonderful job capturing the manga and hitting the comedic timing as well. To take a pretty short manga and flesh out some great jokes is outstanding. Another great episode. I have no doubt this will be the anime of the season.
Apr 9, 2020 12:00 PM
May 2019
Man those boxes hit me hard. Yhr show can be real bittersweet, getting some sweetness and lightning vibes and I like it.
Apr 9, 2020 12:01 PM

Dec 2013
By the end of the fucking episode we all received quick reminder who's the author behind the manga. I nearly cried my eyes out.
AOTY so far. What a truly great piece of anime.
Apr 9, 2020 12:06 PM
Mar 2016
Seeing how the author ended Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei with a twist, i expect he'll do the same with this one.
Apr 9, 2020 12:14 PM

May 2016
Still makes me laugh that all of Hime's friends are just de-aged versions of SZS characters.
Apr 9, 2020 12:38 PM

Nov 2016
jTiKey said:
True, he shouldn't care about his daughter :)
Apr 9, 2020 12:38 PM
Jul 2018
This show's gonna be the highlight of the season for me.
Apr 9, 2020 12:39 PM

Jun 2014
Well I have a bad feeling about how this will end based on the scenes showing Hime as an 18 year old.

I wasn't going to watch this at first but with this season losing some shows to coronavirus delays I figured why not pick this up to fill in those gaps, and I'm glad I did because this has been pretty funny so far. Looking forward to more.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 9, 2020 1:00 PM

Mar 2016
As an artist, I can completely relate to the artistic block before a deadline, and the compulsion to do anything but draw. I am not really sure, but I think it helps.

Hahaha. Artists' search history can definitely get them in trouble or into some kind of hospital. Google once gave me numbers to suicide hotlines because of the things I searched. lol.

Why does the end look like the dad dies before the girl turns 18?
Apr 9, 2020 1:16 PM

Jul 2009
Major improvement over the first episode. That whole police bust scene got me laughing really good. Ending also leaves lots of room for speculation. Can already sense an imminent bittersweet twist.
Apr 9, 2020 1:34 PM
Jul 2019
Oh man don't tell me that Gotou has a revers Electra complex towards her daughter Hime???

Rasuna was really hot in that Bikini.......

why do I have the feeling that closing credits suggest that Hime's dad may have been dead.
Apr 9, 2020 1:34 PM

Mar 2017
Oh man, the boxes got me. It's obvious what they are & who made them so I got choked up... and the extra 4 at the end in the manga shed... I can feel this 'comedy' is actually gonna make me an emotional mess.

It's so adorable how much Kakushi loves his daughter! This anime makes me nostalgic about my own childhood and all the happy memories I have with my family.
Apr 9, 2020 1:41 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
jTiKey said:

it really do be like that when a parent loves his kid
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 9, 2020 1:57 PM

Dec 2017
This is exactly my groove, man. This anime is defo gonna be AOTS if it keeps up like that.
Apr 9, 2020 2:00 PM

Dec 2016
Now I see why Goto sensei rubs me the wrong way, he's a less obnoxious helicopter lolicon parent like Dave was in "If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord"

The whole skit with the police with a search warrant was completely stale for me. I at least admit that the beach portion was kind of OK (the yandere like staff switching into mangaka mode was pretty meh)

The whole backstory of her mom leaving all those boxes for Hime lacks the subtelty that Violet Evergarden managed to do with episode 10 with the letters for Ann.

Guess I'll stick for one more episode, but quite frankly the humor is pretty meh for me so far.
Apr 9, 2020 2:03 PM

Dec 2014
wowo this really became dramatic in the end
Apr 9, 2020 2:09 PM

Nov 2011
Part of me really doesn't want to watch this anymore because of the Dark Foreshadowing at the end of both episode 1 and 2. Like everything in each episode is fantastic until they jump to 18 yo Hime finding out about Kakushi's career Like is he dead? Does he have another job? Does he Remarry? WTF is happening?

Great episode overall but Jesus idk how I feel about these Ominous tones.

EDIT: I wonder who gave her the Key to what seems to be her Old house.
SoraSenpaiApr 9, 2020 2:31 PM
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 9, 2020 2:11 PM
Nov 2019
Tekakurika said:
So wait... is he dead or what?
I am asking myself the same question😭🤣🤣
Apr 9, 2020 2:17 PM

Feb 2017
I can't believe how happy this anime makes me.
This week's episode was less random than previous one, which is good. Police segment made me smile a lot, it was great. But then it got sad and I might've shed a tear or two.
Anyway, I chose to believe that in those future segments MC is okay, just off to do some weird stuff.
Apr 9, 2020 2:20 PM

Feb 2017
What? Wait. No. I don't want to be sad. Please just be a bait.
Apr 9, 2020 2:31 PM

Aug 2014
DID HE DIE?
DID HE MAKE BOXES FOR HER?
WHO MADE THE BOXES BEFORE? THE MOM?
SO MANY QUESTIONS.
I thought this was gonna be a funny show not a sad one............

Apr 9, 2020 2:38 PM

Oct 2012
I was expecting it to be sad before watching the first episode (opening and all), so I was surprised when it ended up being funny, but I settled for it.

NOW IT'S SAD ALL OVER AGAIN? WHAT THE HELL WITH THAT ENDING. WHAT THE HELL. Did he *die*? Her mom could only make stuff for her until she was 16 and then she died and then he did more for the other years and then HE DIED TOO? please stop :( Please don't tell me he died and the part where he "disappears" in the OP is really because he's dead in the future lol PLEASE DON'T I HAD ALREADY SETTLED FOR THE COMEDY DON'T DO THIS TO ME
Apr 9, 2020 2:39 PM

Mar 2019
Another pretty fun episode, i ended up boosting this to an 8/10 because it's actually pretty funny. The whole police raid on the studio was pretty damn funny, i certainly didn't expect him to get away like that xD
Also, is the dad dead at the end or what? I was genuinely confused
Apr 9, 2020 2:57 PM

Sep 2019
Just noticed by the end of the opening, the backgrounds have different levels of detail on both parts, the part with the father has a simpler background while Hime's background has more detail looking more realistic in comparison, it is probably a hint on how life changed direction to start seeing the things around her more and question things around her.
Apr 9, 2020 3:03 PM
Sep 2019
I feel like this series is on its way to becoming surprisingly dark.
Apr 9, 2020 3:45 PM
Sep 2017
I mean, I'm pretty sure the anime is setting it up so that we think (or know) that the dad is dead now. My biggest question is the Mom... like he was expecting her to ask him why she isn't there, but she didn't ask him, and his not telling her anything? It seems the mom made those boxes so.... did she have some kind of illness? Also the boxes start at age 8 which she would have memories of... strange!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Marinate1016 - May 28, 2020

80 by Mailo91 »»
Mar 26, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jun 18, 2020

270 by CaseDiagram »»
Feb 18, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

226 by removed-user »»
Sep 4, 2023 10:22 AM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ashhk - May 21, 2020

93 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 2, 2023 5:28 AM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2020

111 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 1, 2023 2:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.