Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 2020 5:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mm, it looks like this show is still in the learning process so it's more training for our MC, Shingo.

Honestly, he's still got a lot to learn but at least he's trying. His mentor Alfred has a sense of humor but should also be careful of using magic. I feel like magic in this series can be both useful and have consequences.
Stark700Apr 9, 2020 6:00 AM
Apr 9, 2020 6:41 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Average episode but it was better than the first one imo, and cool he grew up so now the real story can start I guess
Apr 9, 2020 7:04 AM

Nov 2010
Is there any necessity for the setting that the boy is the reincarnation of a 25 years old office worker?
Apr 9, 2020 7:23 AM

Jan 2014
In the first episode the MC still acted like an adult, but in the second episode, it seems that they forgot about that and he acts like a normal 5 years old...the pacing is a bit slow for a 12 episode show, but still watchable.
Apr 9, 2020 7:27 AM

Feb 2019
That OP feels so 1990s I love it

Of course he’d make a good adventurer, Alfred! It wouldn’t be an isekai without the MC being one

😔 Aw Alfred had been waiting on his successor for so long. That’s actually a really sweet addition to the story. In a lot of these isekai adaptations they just skip to the character being OP and super strong without a proper development/training arc like this. Then they expect you to really care about the characters.

I think this was a really nice episode that helped you feel more attached to the world and MC. Loved the tree growing at the end.

Series has been really good so far, can’t wait for next week. Idk how it’s at a 6.45 on MAL two episodes in, votes really shouldn’t be allowed at this point.
Apr 9, 2020 7:56 AM

Jun 2015
Oh boy, I didnt expect them to go deep diving into my emotional pool with them feels on the 2nd episode, but damn, they went there and got a lump in my throat. Can't wait too see where this show goes.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 9, 2020 7:58 AM

Jan 2014
If the anime didn't open with that shit last week, this would've been more impactful. It's touching, to see his master die and to be done by him of course. But last week's ep takes away the interesting factor about the whole thing.
Apr 9, 2020 8:04 AM

Aug 2013
RIP Sensei.

Now the MC is off to be an adventure. I can't wait to see the faces of his family when they find out that he knows how to use magic.

Apr 9, 2020 8:26 AM

May 2015
kuroneko99 said:
Is there any necessity for the setting that the boy is the reincarnation of a 25 years old office worker?

I had the exact same thought. Now it feels like he's just a child, where did his experience as a japanese adult go? His outlook on becoming a noble and his worries for his future are the only remnant left of his past life. Everything else was overwritten by his child self, when it was supposed to go the other way around.
Apr 9, 2020 8:33 AM

Jun 2013
Surprisingly strong episode!
Apr 9, 2020 8:38 AM
May 2016
It's so fucking infuriating ,in anime, when adults get reincarnated into a child and they behave like a child. so fucking dumb.
Apr 9, 2020 8:50 AM

Jun 2016
yeah this is stupid af !!!
how the fuck he acts like a child too
Apr 9, 2020 9:12 AM

Dec 2015
Yet another generic power fantasy isekai... I was wrong to expect anything good from this show.
Apr 9, 2020 9:14 AM
Aug 2013
he was an adult and was reincarnated as a child, but he acts like a child all the time I can't understand it.
Apr 9, 2020 9:21 AM

Mar 2017
Roch2001 said:
Oh boy, I didnt expect them to go deep diving into my emotional pool with them feels on the 2nd episode, but damn, they went there and got a lump in my throat. Can't wait too see where this show goes.

I know what you mean! I was like 'Wait... feels already?!' haha
Apr 9, 2020 9:21 AM

Mar 2017
That was unexpectedly sad... poor little Well! I can't wait for the next episode to see how his journey to the town goes.

I have to say, I really like the chill pace of this anime; it's just such a nice and relaxing watch but I'm also really invested because Well is so adorable!

Apr 9, 2020 9:28 AM
Jun 2014
Setting aside slowly dumbing down plot and protagonist, this episode was very poorly edited for something that's "ready" for public view, i'm assuming everyone watches CR or HS release so i'll base my timing off that :

At 6:20 when father and his brother speak in the library, brother's VA doesn't even finish his line and suddenly the scene gets cut off to a starry sky,

At 7:42 they fly around, but then at 12:40 our protagonist is loudly surprised and screams when his teacher lifts him up and flies off which leads me to believe scene at 7:42 should have came right after 12:59 when they raise up to the sky and his surprise ends.

You can't really blame him for acting like a kid in a kids body, we don't know how it works, he might have been an idiot in his previous life, plus think about it, if one of you got reincarnated how terrible you would do, all you do is watch anime all day, have no knowledge of politics, how world really works, advanced knowledge of literally any useful scientific field, nothing, you're just weebs, you get reincarnated, you're still just a weeb, only without your weebtoons.
SegmentZApr 9, 2020 10:09 AM
Apr 9, 2020 9:37 AM

Mar 2015
Enjoyed the episode. Very glad we have wrapped up the early childhood and are moving on.

I am looking forward to meeting the redhead with the spear. I am speculating that I will like this character.
The sword that takes life gives life
Apr 9, 2020 9:58 AM

Feb 2016
Quite a fine episode.
At least it didn't go downhill even though they butchered a lot of things
Apr 9, 2020 11:51 AM

Dec 2016
Eh.

It felt very telegraphed how Reinford found and adopted Well as his disciple. I don't say this in a negative matter, just that it was very predictable from the very moment Reinford introduced himself and paused after stating that he didn't want money.

Well's brother raising suspicions about him possesing mana felt quite cheap. Hope the show doesn't mimic the edge the antagonist from Wiseman's Grandson thru Well's older brother.

I guess this is the highest point of the series now that we get a timeskip and Well has learned the basics of magic. I still want to give the show the benefit of the doubt and hope it doesn't become a power fantasy like most fantasy/adventure and isekai shows tend to go.

As for Reinford backstory and motivations, eh... Wished there was a stronger reason for him to pass his magic on, it felt so awfully specific that his wish was to pass his magic to anyone. If there had been more layers in his story like a child he had and didn't have the opportunity to teach him magic, or a pupil that also lost his life in that skirmish the Duke started. Not saying it's bad, just that it lacks a more grounded motivation.

At least the honest praise I can give to this show it's that it's not boring so far.
Apr 9, 2020 12:16 PM

Jun 2012
While this episode was okay, the time skip though, they're making a rush adaptation I see.
Apr 9, 2020 12:20 PM
Jul 2019
Sp Reinford is willing to be Shingo's magic tutor on the condition that he keeps it a secret , cu'z he doesn't want him to be a lord and in the end be used by someone who would try to influence him into doing their bidding......funny, that in the opening of the 1st episode that is what he was already doing.....Too bad that Reinford is the Whispering Dead and he has to pass on the next life.

Man that op is annoying me.

Ya know for them Baumeisters to be the lord of such backwater land it was kinda funny that nearly all them were illiterate.
Horn_dawg_2019Apr 9, 2020 12:57 PM
Apr 9, 2020 12:41 PM

Dec 2014
I really like character building...nice
Apr 9, 2020 1:40 PM

Oct 2012
Honestly feel like the producers didn't know what to do with his personality.
"He's in a kid's body so let him act like a kid but he was also a 25year old salaryman so he can read, but because he's a kid he should act like one"

*dramatic inhalation* "M-monsters?"

And wait, what? There was a scene where they flew and then a few minutes later he gets spooked and screams because the guy shows him flying again? what?

what a shitshow.... one more episode to go so i can decide if i should drop it.
Apr 9, 2020 2:13 PM

Jan 2013
This bored me to death. Dropped.
Apr 9, 2020 2:19 PM
Jan 2017
What saved this episode from being totally unremarkable was the climax, which gave both Well and his teacher a fair bit of pathos. I thought this episode would be entirely dedicated to Well's training, and it did introduce the possibility of a succession crisis, but it didn't do much with this idea. It wasn't until the climax that I genuinely began caring for Well. He was put on a difficult situation and he is forced to end the suffering of his mentor. It's been 2 episodes and, so far, Well has avoided the OP protagonist cliché that is so common on light novel anime these days. I mean, I'm sure Well will become more powerful as the series continues, but he didn't immediately become a badass since day 1. He made mistakes and had to pay a steep price to earn his power. I'm pleasantly surprised that this show took a sudden turn for the better with this episode. If it can build upon this sudden upturn in quality, it can be one of the finest shows of the season.
Apr 9, 2020 2:27 PM

Jun 2013
I Feel nothing about a dude we just met and the oP is fire
Apr 9, 2020 2:37 PM

Nov 2016
Nice, the main character went from having a brain and a body of a 25 yo person to having a body and brain of a 5 year old baby.

And anyways the "sad" thing from this episode is bs. No one with a 25 yo brain would cry while making disappear a dead guy that you know for 2 weeks.
AlvaritoterreosApr 9, 2020 2:40 PM
Apr 9, 2020 3:54 PM

Sep 2018
So is his mind regressing to a 5 year old? Has to be or else it's BS. Didn't feel anything for that guy who died. All this emotional scene for a guy who was on for pretty much one episode? lol ok.... 5/10
Apr 9, 2020 5:44 PM

Dec 2016
SegmentZ said:
You can't really blame him for acting like a kid in a kids body, we don't know how it works, he might have been an idiot in his previous life, plus think about it, if one of you got reincarnated how terrible you would do, all you do is watch anime all day, have no knowledge of politics, how world really works, advanced knowledge of literally any useful scientific field, nothing, you're just weebs, you get reincarnated, you're still just a weeb, only without your weebtoons.

to be fair, I don't have scientific knowledge and maybe not even particular smart just average as hell but I'm fully aware of how import is medicine, (free) education, hygiene, etc. (everything what is common knowledge for us)
So if I would be reincarnated and was powerhouse (like most isekai MC) maybe I wouldn't change the world but I would try to give foundations for this change.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.163/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.85/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Apr 9, 2020 6:06 PM

Oct 2008
aww a bit sad since they've been together and trained for only 2 weeks until the mage needs to be Purged.
Now he's a teen on to his journey/adventure! lolz
4/5.

Apr 9, 2020 8:50 PM
Feb 2020
i lowkey feel like they are just going to use that guy as a flashback when fighting the final boss then the mc gets 50x stronger.
Apr 9, 2020 10:33 PM
Oct 2019
Kinda keen on it as 2nd ep is really good and captivating. Totally better than the 1st ep, which is kinda boring as it have same motif as many isekai.
Apr 10, 2020 2:26 AM

Aug 2015
The show isn't boring or anything. But I agree that I'm a bit confused as to the whole point of the reincarnation point. If it comes into play later, ok. Otherwise, it seems like that whole thing could be ignored without changing literally anything that has happened so far.

But hey, a lighthearted adventure about a kid learning magic and becoming an adventurer, it's entertaining enough so far. Inoffensive. Not gonna win any awards, but inoffensive entertainment is never unwelcome.
Apr 10, 2020 4:43 AM

May 2014
I find the whole isekai thing unnecessary and hope they add a reason for it or something. The MC doesn’t seem to even care/question being in a new world and leaving his other life behind. He even acts like a little kid instead of a 25 year old. It just doesn’t seem necessary and they could have easily just left the isekai part out.

On a positive note, the OP and ED songs are really good!
Apr 10, 2020 5:37 AM

May 2019
Rip to Alfred, that one hit the feels. I'm excited for this show, but i'm worried about the pacing

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Apr 10, 2020 8:20 AM

Dec 2015
2nd episode was okay as well. Just weird that they needed Isekai for this. Could have just been a normal boy from that world. (Maybe they wanted to explain that he acts a bit more grown up with the Isekai ... but he still was crying a lot.)

Pacing is a bit fast and the thing with the master being an undead could have been better (more emotional) told in more episodes. But to get quickly to the later stuff (and more action maybe ... the opening shows some enemies not only "working" in agriculture as in episode 1 at the beginning) it was okay to have this 1 episode explanation of training and then first timeskip.

Btw I like the OP and ED. They have some oldschool style feeling and I like that.
Apr 10, 2020 11:38 AM

Sep 2009
I'm starting to enjoy this series even more. This episode is better than the first ep. :)
Apr 10, 2020 3:49 PM

May 2018
I had to laugh SO much. I watched it with friends.
There were some pretty equivocal scenes here and there hahahha. I want more!
It needs the comedy tag!

►"The deeper the darkness the more dazzling the light shines." ◄
►"As you live you lose reasons and hope. But as you keep on going, you pick up new reasons and hope."◄
►"If I don’t stand up here… If I don’t reach higher here… When am I ever going to do it?"◄
Apr 10, 2020 11:50 PM
Jun 2019
Bad, rushed episode. WHAT was that? I'll give it a chance and will watch 3rd episode but it has to be much better, otherwise drop.
Apr 11, 2020 2:37 AM

May 2015
yup, this episode made me cry
My Candies:
Apr 12, 2020 4:34 AM

Oct 2017
A sad depart, didn't think Well's master will leave so early. He was a nice guy.

Well's adventure begun, I hope it's a fun one.
Apr 12, 2020 10:52 AM

Jan 2013
Kimurah said:
As for Reinford backstory and motivations, eh... Wished there was a stronger reason for him to pass his magic on, it felt so awfully specific that his wish was to pass his magic to anyone. If there had been more layers in his story like a child he had and didn't have the opportunity to teach him magic, or a pupil that also lost his life in that skirmish the Duke started. Not saying it's bad, just that it lacks a more grounded motivation.

I'd argue wanting to leave a legacy is valid enough on it's own. Many royal families highly aimed for a son to lead and leave a legacy through & be remembered by. Due to being an adventurer he'd be moving around too much to settle down, marry and have a kid. Also considering magic is rare and unbiased towards genes & ranking it's unlikely for his kid to have been born with magic anyways.

I can see how passing on his knowledge and leaving an impression on a person to be remembered by would be enough for him. He did say it didn't matter who but considering it took him 5 years to find a "worthy" person, he still had set requirements for whom he'd teach.
Apr 12, 2020 1:26 PM

Feb 2015
This is real bottom of the barrel stuff. Why is it even Isseki? It feels like it's just thrown in there at random, why couldn't this have been a straight forward fantasy show? Probably to hide the fact the writing is shit. I'm giving this one more episode to improve.
Apr 12, 2020 1:34 PM

Sep 2007
kuroneko99 said:

To be honest...not really.

Besides having large mana pool as a side effect or picking up social cues better than a person of his age, he could've just been born in this world and the story would lose nothing.
Apr 12, 2020 4:07 PM

Jan 2009
Let's wait for next episode. anime made time skip while not showing us what he did all those years. let's hope they will at least made small flash backs to show what he did. (his actions and development in between time skip is heavily based on knowledge from past life)

a bit surprised they choose this story for adaptation, since it's more slice of life and politic story than action. and they skipped a lot, ep2 end at 20 ln chapter(vol. 1 have 29 chapters + few side story's)... if we go by this pace ep 3 will have content from vol. 2.

as far I can remember whole solo training + payment for school + part 1 family drama is missing.
Apr 12, 2020 4:10 PM

Jun 2012
This show has a LOT of problems with regards to its character acting and especially its production design (the animation looks REALLY basic through most of the show, and lacks artistic vision with regards to compositing and how to frame shots in an interesting fashion,) but I actually did feel something in this episode.

So, it wasn't as bad as the first episode (which really just felt like it was going through the motions of plot-establishment.) The flying scene was one of the first times in this show that I genuinely felt like I was getting pulled into this world. But this show still has a lot of problems. It's mostly a boring middle-of-the road fantasy premise with sloppy execution.
Apr 12, 2020 8:15 PM
Sep 2016
MC died, get isekai'd

- The first episode: YESS!! He became a child... Go get 'em as an overpowered child!
- The second episode: Where is all of his memory of the previous life go? What is the point of being isekai'd?? Why don't you just do a basic fantasy anime???

vanetz said:
he could've just been born in this world and the story would lose nothing.

Exactly.
repsanimsApr 12, 2020 8:19 PM
Apr 13, 2020 3:28 AM

Sep 2007
jack4s said:
his actions and development in between time skip is heavily based on knowledge from past life

I guess that makes sense. What doesn't make sense why even more of this early period was skipped in the manga. It basically starts with him in school and a little flashback of him meeting the undead guy :|
Apr 13, 2020 4:35 AM
Mar 2012
Man dont recall the last time an isekai mc is forced to kill his bishounen sensei, and the ED's perfect for capping this episode.
Ya art quite simple but hopefully interesting plot continues & later characters give some uniqueness.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2020

64 by amf85 »»
Apr 1, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2020

120 by Juggy_don »»
Feb 9, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2020

99 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Jan 27, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou! Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2020

45 by elkensteyin »»
Jan 12, 9:10 PM

Poll: » Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2020

71 by LadyLeeMing »»
Nov 30, 2023 3:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.