Forum Settings
Forums

What was the anime that was ruined by the mc

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 12, 2020 8:12 AM
Feb 2020
Izuku midoriya from my hero academia. According to me he is just trash.
"Everyone is a slave to their past. No matter how much you wish to move forward, the events of yesteryear will bear down on you like the light of the stars as soon as you glance up. Unable to laugh or to banish your past, you carry it ceaselessly in a corner of your heart, waiting for it to resurrect at an inopportune moment."
Mar 12, 2020 8:15 AM

Oct 2019
I don't have one I feel like an unlikable MC can sometimes make the side characters shine a lot more.
Mar 12, 2020 8:48 AM

Jul 2015
SamTHK said:
It
Piromysl said:
Symphogear has an utter Mary Sue as a MC and it's unbearable.
it is a super hero shows, what are you expecting, still can’t understand the hype

Yea, but there should be some limits.
This character is so badly written, I was convinced it was done by some SJW.

Mar 12, 2020 9:21 AM

Sep 2017
Mirai Nikki

Yukiteru is the worst MC I've ever seen, and he had so.much.screentime.
Mar 12, 2020 9:42 AM
Aug 2013
Shigatsu was a personal story with an implausible protagonist. ( just like most of the cast)
and
Re:Zero, especially in moments of drama and tragedy, the protagonist was unbearable.
wulfHkzMar 12, 2020 9:45 AM
Mar 12, 2020 10:28 AM

Feb 2019
Haru from Super Lovers literally treated Ren like a little kid 90% of the time but when he was horny he was like 'entertain me' SIR you JUST said that Ren is a 'little kid' so let's start treating him like the kid he is cuz that statutory rape

Like one second he's like "I don't want to see you Ren." so Ren being the angel he is like "ok. I won't be around you." then Haru's all blue and offended?? Your logic???

N͓̽o͓̽ ͓̽J͓̽u͓̽s͓̽t͓̽i͓̽c͓̽e͓̽.͓̽ ͓̽N͓̽o͓̽ ͓̽P͓̽e͓̽a͓̽c͓̽e͓̽.͓̽

Mar 12, 2020 10:30 AM
May 2015
Cautious hero - seiya is one of the most boring op lead that I had watch in a long time. I know that's suppose to be the joke but repeating this formula: villain showing> seiya's party showing and getting defeated> seiya trains and finally defeating the villain. Isn't fun
Mar 12, 2020 11:03 AM

May 2019
Mirai nikki, honestly, fuck that coward
Cogito Ergo Sum
Mar 12, 2020 12:49 PM

Jan 2019
Bungou Stray Dogs, My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer, SAO (Although there's much more wrong about the show than just the mc), Plastic Memories, Violet Evergarden, Slime reincarnation, Fruits Basket
Mar 12, 2020 1:12 PM
Oct 2012
Kuroko no Basket
They really had to add the most uninteresting character in the universe for a sports anime?
Mar 12, 2020 1:24 PM

Apr 2008
These characters really didn't ruin a series for me as they are from some of my favorite series. I just get really annoyed by them and like other characters in these shows a lot better.

Ryoma from Prince of Tennis...too much of a Gary Stu character, he is perfect at everything and never loses an important game.

Also Tsuna from KHR, Mihashi from Big Windup, the main character from Days...to whiny for me.

Hanamichi from Slam Dunk and Eijun from Diamond no Ace...to cocky for me...though I started to like them more as the series went on.
Mar 12, 2020 1:35 PM

Jul 2012
YeeYeeAss said:
SAO would be so much better is Kirito wasn't such a shit character
Every character from SDS except Ban and Escanor. Meliodas is the worst
Maken Ki.
Naruto. Naruto is just annoying.
AOT: Eren is just a big no

Totally agree! Especially with the last two. In my opinion, Sasuke (before he went emo-mode) used to be much better-written character than Naruto. Eren is annoying: the way he always screams > it's just bad voice acting by Yuki Kaji.
Mar 12, 2020 1:37 PM

Sep 2018
I really disliked Subaru watching Re Zero, was too much of a whiny little b1tch for my liking, regardless of how "realistic" it may or may not have been to be dropped into his situation. He kinda grew on me though.... Didn't exactly ruin it a whole lot, but I would have scored higher if not for him probably...
Mar 12, 2020 1:38 PM

Nov 2018
For me, Hunter X Hunter,I tried my times watching Gon as hero but I can't. It'd be better if Killua was Mc.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Mar 12, 2020 1:40 PM
Apr 2016
No such series. The author is the one and only source of why a story can be "ruined". No need to share this delusion that a single character can be responsible.
Re:formed
Mar 12, 2020 1:58 PM

Jan 2018
Nick-Knight said:
I would say Shinji but Eva is iredeemable garbage.

If you really think that NGE is garbage, then it's time to update your scores 'cuz you rated it 9 lol I'm confused.
Mar 12, 2020 2:07 PM

Jan 2018
Nick-Knight said:
alelegon said:

If you really think that NGE is garbage, then it's time to update your scores 'cuz you rated it 9 lol I'm confused.

I rated Fairy Tail a 10/10 and at least it knows full well that it is garbage. Unlike NGE which only has only Asuka and the action scenes as its saving graces.

Oooh you have a different rating system, my bad.
Mar 12, 2020 2:13 PM
May 2019
well for me an mc didnt ruin an anime but made it really unenjoyable:
Midoriya from bnha
naruto from naruto
Luffy from one piece
Mar 12, 2020 3:37 PM

Aug 2018
I couldn't watch Little Witch Academia because of Atsuko Kagari. She was just so fucking obnoxious in my head.

Mar 12, 2020 9:43 PM

Jul 2015
Manaban said:
Ichika from Infinite Stratos. They turned the dense protag schtick up to 11. It could be kind of funny at first, but it was far too frequent and it quickly got grating. I don't usually mind that trope but here it was too extreme and it bothered me.

Girls in the series were great, too. But Ichika, for some reason, overshadowed them. And not in the "they're good but his badness was more attention grabbing" way, it was in the "The show focuses a lot more on Ichika than on the harem."

What rational individual goes into a fucking harem anime and thinks GEE I'M SUPER READY TO SEE A FUNNY MC BE A DUMBASS. I HOPE THE SHOW FOCUSES ON THAT AND THE GIRLS ARE JUST PROPS TO HIS COMEDY INSTEAD OF FOCUSING PRIMARILY ON THE HAREM ITSELF.

I mean, given the typical complaints about harems on this board, most people on MAL are primarily concerned with the MC in harem anime, sure, but that only reinforces my point about how ridiculous it is as a way of thinking.

Glad I'm not the only who despises Ichika. That guy had the ability to make people smash their monitors. Because of him, most other harem MCs seem more tolerable. Those girls were out right showing they love him and this fool who has a black hole for a brain couldn't see that. I'll take Jesus-kun over him anyday.
Mar 12, 2020 10:57 PM

Jul 2010
Re Zero and Shingeki no Kyojin, damn! Subaru and Eren are infinity annoying!
May be some anime?
Mar 12, 2020 11:48 PM

Oct 2019
shadowblaster5 said:

Tokyo Ghoul: I'm unsure if it's purely because of a poor adaptation, but I've never been interested in Kaneki. It felt like he changed his personality too much that I never got used to or liked one.

I 100% agree, Kaneki did a full 180 in literally one episode (yes I get that he got brutally tortured but it just did not work with me.) I think he was just a kinda bad example of when you try too hard to make a cool, badass character.

Jim_Heart said:
Many series has uninteresting or/and annoying MC, but one series I think could be far better with a better MC is Durarara!!. The setting and story telling are fun, but Mikado (and Anri) is reaalllly boring.

As much as I love Durarara, I agree Mikado is fucking boring. It makes sense to me though. Having a completely boring main character in a show that focuses so much on the wacky supporting cast actually worked really well in my opinion.

Rambo908 said:
probably the MC from kokoro connect. dude was a fucking doofus

I didn't really care for any of the characters in Kokoro Connect. They were all sappy and overdramatic, I found the whole show to be pretty boring tbh

As for my addition to this:
I think Zankyou no terror would have been bloody fantastic if the 2 terrorist dudes and Lisa (don't even get me started on Lisa there is a longgg list of problems I have with her) had completely different personalities.

And also the main guy from Bungou stray dogs was boring as hell. The 'boring main character in comparison to interesting supporting cast' thing did not work in that show. Dazai as the main character would have been sooo much better but oh well.
marinara-sauceMar 12, 2020 11:54 PM
Mar 13, 2020 2:46 AM

Aug 2016
SamTHK said:
Amazing concept, decent plot but then every got ruined because of the main characters
For myself
Danganronpa 3: despair ark: chiaki nanami
Your lie in april

The main character for your lie in April was a perfect fit for the anime and its message (moving on)
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあなたが選んだ兄弟です
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2静か先生88#7307
Mar 13, 2020 2:46 AM

Apr 2010
The count of Monte Christo. When he had to pull the whole show upon his shoulder... it was a great disaster for me. [/spoiler]It is very sad that a much likable character died while he was still alive, though in the original book it was the opposite. Not that I read the book or watched the movie)

Mar 13, 2020 2:50 AM

Aug 2016
ysphyr said:
Re:Zero. Want to watch it so bad but damn I can’t stand that shitfaced degenerate Subaru. I’ve never thought I’d hate any character more than I hate Deku, but here we go. Tbh I don’t even hate Deku anymore, as all my eternal hate goes to Subaru

Nanatsu no Taizai. I honestly like almost every character (especially Diane and King), except the pervy midget Meliodas. Thw show would be so much better without his ugly ass

Subaru is probably the most well written isekai character tbh
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
2静か先生88#7307
Mar 13, 2020 3:30 AM
Jul 2018
shizukasensei said:
ysphyr said:
Re:Zero. Want to watch it so bad but damn I can’t stand that shitfaced degenerate Subaru. I’ve never thought I’d hate any character more than I hate Deku, but here we go. Tbh I don’t even hate Deku anymore, as all my eternal hate goes to Subaru

Nanatsu no Taizai. I honestly like almost every character (especially Diane and King), except the pervy midget Meliodas. Thw show would be so much better without his ugly ass

That says a lot about isekai as a genre
Mar 13, 2020 3:51 AM

Aug 2016
ysphyr said:
shizukasensei said:

Well the isekai genre is full of shit, but to see the context and message of the show you need to remove the "pathetic person = bad character" mindset, and then you while understand the brilliant story and character writing of the show, please stop being closed minded like most people.
2静か先生88#7307
Mar 13, 2020 3:55 AM

May 2015
To aru majutsu no index. Maybe it's even bearable when this guy is silent, but when he starts spouting his dumb speeches... oh shit.

(well i think it can be considered as one of 2 mcs) Nishikata from Karakai jouzu no Takagi-san. Absolutely one-dimensional character with 2 emotions in his arsenal. I really like how Takagi is smart with ideas for pranks but what's the point in it if dummy always reacts the same? So it becomes irritating and boring to watch 2nd half of show (judging by 1st season).

Aa megami-sama Sorezore no tsubasa. This guy was completely ok in 1st season when it was a comedy. He just wasn't standing out while other characters did a great job and show was enjoyable. But when it turned into a romance in 2nd season and this guy got much more screentime all his flaws got leaked out. Very irritating dumbhead.
Mar 13, 2020 3:58 AM

Mar 2018
Without the obvious....average Isekai and Fantasy series wih a bad written MC...

Neon Genesis Evanghelion for my personal experience.....but the MC wasn't the only thing that bothered me.
Mar 13, 2020 3:59 AM
Jul 2018
shizukasensei said:
ysphyr said:

Well the isekai genre is full of shit, but to see the context and message of the show you need to remove the "pathetic person = bad character" mindset, and then you while understand the brilliant story and character writing of the show, please stop being closed minded like most people.

I suffer enough being around ugly pathetic people irl, do you encourage me to do the same with fictional characters? That’s quite a sadistic approach
Mar 13, 2020 4:04 AM

Aug 2016
ysphyr said:
shizukasensei said:

I suffer enough being around ugly pathetic people irl, do you encourage me to do the same with fictional characters? That’s quite a sadistic approach

Lmao m8, he doesn't even look bad, and how tf did you know that I am sadistic, you damn woman.
2静か先生88#7307
Mar 13, 2020 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
shizukasensei said:
ysphyr said:

Lmao m8, he doesn't even look bad, and how tf did you know that I am sadistic, you damn woman.

He looks extremely ugly. Even if Subaru was the last man on the planet, I’d rather f-ck a termite infested log than this hideous degenerate.
Mar 13, 2020 4:42 AM

Oct 2017
Aldnoah.zero's MC was fcking boring.

Mar 13, 2020 4:59 AM

Oct 2013
These are five I can think of right now at the very least for myself

Mar 13, 2020 6:47 AM

Aug 2015
Deku is just kind of boring and not interesting to me. I wish almost anybody else was the protagonist.

Nausicaa's is a typical female protagonist, I couldn't find her interesting at all.

Mar 13, 2020 8:51 AM

Aug 2016
ysphyr said:
shizukasensei said:

He looks extremely ugly. Even if Subaru was the last man on the planet, I’d rather f-ck a termite infested log than this hideous degenerate.

Lmao u never saw actual ugly person before, and here I thought you actually suffered because you are around ugly people
2静か先生88#7307
Mar 13, 2020 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
shizukasensei said:
ysphyr said:

Lmao u never saw actual ugly person before, and here I thought you actually suffered because you are around ugly people

"I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed" is probably your life motto

The only one who can challenge Subaru in ugliness is Hachiman from your favs.
Mar 13, 2020 6:04 PM
Nov 2019
Etsuo said:
I couldn't watch Little Witch Academia because of Atsuko Kagari. She was just so fucking obnoxious in my head.

lmao dude, i thought akko was so cute and endearing for like an episode and a half and then i couldn't stand the sight of her after that. man that show takes WAAAAY too long to get started.
Mar 13, 2020 6:08 PM
Nov 2019
vivi-chan_ said:
xan0 said:

lmao dude, i thought akko was so cute and endearing for like an episode and a half and then i couldn't stand the sight of her after that. man that show takes WAAAAY too long to get started.
akko is cute wtf are you talking about

honestly i totally agree, i just got really really tired of her not making any significant progress as a witch for the entire first half of the show, and as a result her whole shtick started to grate on me. my friend who loves LWA told me the second half has a lot more "plot development" stuff going on so i'm definitely planning to finish it.
Mar 13, 2020 6:37 PM
Nov 2018
Re:Zero
As a person who is isekai trash I usually enjoy most isekais that come out
I really don’t like Suburu though, I understand that he is meant to be realistic however I hate how useless he is in most situations and also how he is the king of cringe
I have had to pause episodes and watch them later just because I couldn’t watch how fucking cringe he is
Mar 13, 2020 7:11 PM

Oct 2018
Hiyori Iki from Noragami. She has no business being a part of the conflict of the gods but still sticks her nose where she doesn't belong and turns things bad to worse & it gets really annoying when it happens almost every arc. The point of her character is just to have a human pov to relate to but I don't care about that. Nora is a more interesting character than her. I'm just here for Yato's story dammit
~Spiritual Healing~

Mar 13, 2020 7:59 PM

Aug 2016
Belldandy and Keiichi from OH my Goddess were a really bland couple. It´s not that they were infuriating characters, but everything in their relationship felt so easy and uninteresting. the beautiful designs and colors carry most of the show

Then, Onikuza was an infuriating idiot most of the time. the rest of the cast avoid that anime from being bad and actually turned it into a pretty decent experience, so I still recommend it, but there are better manga and anime involving delinquents
:v
Mar 13, 2020 8:04 PM

Aug 2016
shizukasensei said:
ysphyr said:

Not only one of the best, but overall a really good MC, despite having some autistic and wierd moments.
:v
Mar 13, 2020 8:22 PM

May 2016
Accel World. The show would have gotten a score of 10 from me if it weren't for that pathetic, whinny POS Haru. He single-handedly bumps it's score to a 7. One of the few times a genuinely wanted to throttle and slowly strangle the life from an MC.
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Mar 14, 2020 1:38 AM

Aug 2016
ysphyr said:
shizukasensei said:

"I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed" is probably your life motto

The only one who can challenge Subaru in ugliness is Hachiman from your favs.

Lmao Hachiman is supposed to be "ugly" anyway, well if you know and understand the series, you will know the reason. And Subaru looks normal tbh, I don't where is this misguided hate is coming from lmao.

And actually have standards bruh, I just don't look down on people for no reason lmao
2静か先生88#7307
Mar 14, 2020 1:40 AM

Aug 2016
THE-Black-Mage said:
Accel World. The show would have gotten a score of 10 from me if it weren't for that pathetic, whinny POS Haru. He single-handedly bumps it's score to a 7. One of the few times a genuinely wanted to throttle and slowly strangle the life from an MC.

Accel World is shit, u can just swap out it with a op gary stu main character and it will be still a 1/10 for me
2静か先生88#7307
Mar 14, 2020 1:48 AM
Dec 2018
Piromysl said:

Ok first of all can I have a explanation please?
Mar 14, 2020 2:04 AM

Aug 2016
You know that Gintoki from Gintama not only ruining his own show, but also other anime
Mar 14, 2020 7:51 AM

Jul 2015
HelaLove said:
Piromysl said:

Ok first of all can I have a explanation please?

Mary Sue trope is a result of a poor writing, where writer gives a character too much positive traits, like having exceptional fighting prowess without any training, being "bullied into survivor's guilt" as some sort of sappy backstory, being amiable to the fault and many more.
And no. Non-flaws like being clumsy or falling asleep during classes does not prevent character from being labeled a Mary Sue.

In short: It's everything that SAO is hated for. Bland and boring main character, who lacks negative attributes. But in Symphogear it is multiplied tenfold.

Reviews make it pretty clear:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/11751/Senki_Zesshou_Symphogear/reviews

I really appreciated final season how it managed to make events from all five seasons relevant and liked them together, but when our MC wanted to befriend terrorists who murdered 100k innocent people for fun, children even, I lost my shit and I finally realized why this character pisses me off so much. I could write an entire article how she doesn't actually care about people she is saving, just like Tsubasa, who was just mad at vampire bitch for crashing her concert and nothing more.

Mar 14, 2020 8:32 AM

Jul 2013
Counting too characters that are protagonists, nut not the main characters themselves:

Shuu from Guilty Crown was the worst back then. So dumb and annoying I was tempted to drop the series at some point. The characters of Guilty Crown were bad in general, but Shuu was easily the worst. That being said, maybe if I would rewatch the series nowadays I would enjoy how retarded he was in a "so bad it's good" kind of way.

Arslan from Arslan Senki. A spineless idiot that is always saying he's going to change his country for the better, but then lets his (absurdly OP) subordinates do all the heavy job while he does shit and keeps saying his idealistic nonsense goal again and again. Doesn't even seems to improve in the 32 episodes of both series. The only reason why he even goes so far in the anime is because he's lucky that his subordinates are all loyal to him. If someone like Narsus would had been an oportunistic traitor instead of a faithful advisor he would be dead by the 5th episode of the show.

Ibuki from Chaos Dragon. Tbh the entirety of the show is trash, but he made things even worse. Him sacrificing his friends to use his power was amusing, however.

Natsu and Erza from Fairy Tail. By the time the last arc of the series came, they were reduced to drones repeating again and again the same friendship speeches and defeating all the villains they face with nonsensical asspulls. Erza is by far the worst of the two, however.

The main character from the 2nd OVA of Generation of Chaos. A complete and utter pussy that gets worse by the end of the OVA, when he escapes the battlefield crying like a bitch. He's so bad I don't even remember his name.

Neji from Koi to Uso. Another pussy with an incredibly annoying voice. Watching him on screen was bothersome at some point.

Yukine from Noragami. He gets better in the second season, but, man, I hated his guts in the first one, where his childish tantrums almost corrup/kill Yato. The fact that he was voiced by Shuu's voice actor made it even worse. Never wanted to beat a character so much until I watched Accel World.

StormShaun said:
It has to be the MC of Seiren. I can't remember his name... yet, I can remember Juuichi from Amagami SS easily.

Juuichi at least had some good personality and quirkes; the guy from Seiren was just boring and his romance with the girls... actually, I take that back. Girl, I didn't even bother with the second girl/arc.
The protagonist from Seiren (Shouichi) was the textbook definition of boring. It seemed like his only purpose in the anime was to have a main character the girls could fall in love with, because he was absolutely unremarkable. His two best friends were way better than him.

Junichi may not had been the most original character, but at least I found him funny and his interactions with the girls of Amagami were enjoyable. With Shouchi I felt nothing watching him on screen.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
1 minute ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
2 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

58 by _ATG_ »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

85 by maya2003s »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

27 by shiro-seishun »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.