Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 10, 2020 9:57 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ooh, I like this episode with the mixture of balanced mood been with the final exams coming. But also, we got to see Chihaya and her friends making some Valentine sweets!

Looking at her character, I find the episode very human with her emotive expressions, especially when thinking about Taichi. Only 2 episodes left D:
Mar 10, 2020 10:05 AM

Nov 2007
Mamo's character is only concentrated on Karuta.

Girls making chocolates together, instructed by kouhai girl. She's more experienced in making chocolates. lol @ sudden cooking show time.

Main girl cried thinking about Mamo's character.

Kouhai girl already bought a gift for Mamo's character.

lol, Mamo's character is popular as usual, so Kouhai girl cannot seem to find a chance to give him, but she finally did threw it. lol @ she did buy exactly what main girl said instead of chocolates. Then she confessed!

They were going to eat what they made, but her father ate all of them! He gave her white day gift early, though to thank her.

Graduation for each school, with their feelings.

Mamo's character's homeroom teacher / Karuta club teacher suggesting very strictly and he might not go to the club next year?

The association's senpai (asked by main girl) asked about his competition against Hosoya-san's character. Wow, the bar plays OP.

Mamo's character gave kouhai girl white day gift, but she felt like she's broken-hearted... because he still thinks about main girl even though he thinks she cares for Hosoya-san's character (thus the misunderstanding about senpai asking about him for her).

The club is organizing something for Mamo's character (an calling everyone)... "Taichi Cup" (his b-day)?! So to do more games the rest of two eps?
tsubasaloverMar 10, 2020 10:23 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 10, 2020 10:17 AM

Mar 2012
Wooooow. You go, Sumire! Sorry it's not working out like you hoped? Way to be a blind, Taichi (as usual). Chihaya still trying to figure out the basics and where Taichi fits in all of it.
Mar 10, 2020 1:17 PM

Jun 2007
Sumire is cute but that "everything for a boy" attitude is eh. desperate people never succeed in love.. also she could have get Taichi killed with that big ass can. that was very abunai

so those t shirts are even more atrocious hahaha that color!
see you, space cowperson . . .
Mar 10, 2020 1:24 PM

Apr 2019

Very nice of the girls to make chocolates for everyone, too bad Chihaya's dad ate them all😂

This "Taichi Cup" looks very interesting, so that's why Chihaya was texting everyone. Hope we get some cool matches out of this.

I'm thinking that Taichi will confess to Chihaya at the end of the "Taichi Cup", which will probably be on the last episode.

OooooO I can't wait till next week's episode!
Mar 10, 2020 1:37 PM

Oct 2012
This break in the karuta tournaments was a nice breather....so cute that Valentine's cooking seance, and it's seeing Chihaya's reactions animated make me really wonder if Sumire is right. Chihaya's dad is such a dorky partypooper!!

Sumire's confession was cute...but she and Taichi both know he has someone else he wants to confess to....how hard is it too be highschool kids in love.

Here we go for the Taichi cup. Chihaya did all she could to make him smile.....in her own way: more karuta coming.
:)
Mar 10, 2020 2:12 PM
Apr 2016
Sumire was a real sweetheart this episode; for her to confess to Taichi once more in order to encourage him... a consequential act that probably killed her inside. A great Taichi episode for sure.
Mar 10, 2020 2:31 PM

Sep 2014
TaichixSumire all the way!!!
Mar 10, 2020 2:34 PM

Feb 2018
Poor Sumire... Don't give up just yet. I think she just assumes that because Taichi is this super hot bishounen dude, whomever he likes is guaranteed to return his feelings and therefore she has no shot, but that's not necessarily the case. The fact he knows how you feel and still pushed him to confess to someone else is big.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Mar 10, 2020 3:31 PM

Aug 2014
sumire performed the power move: self-cuck

Mar 10, 2020 5:48 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

Kinda really felt for Sumire here, fighting a battle she'll never win but still trying her best, even going so far as to encourage Taichi to tell Chihaya his feelings. She's a sweet girl, just in the wrong battle. :(
The confession from the window was very nice and I'm glad Taichi responded to her feelings on White Day.

The Taichi Cup was a real surprise and oh my god those T-Shirts. XD
Mar 10, 2020 7:05 PM
Mar 2015
Got to love Sumire From Eyebrows to chocolates to confessing to Taihi and telling him to confess to Chiihaya

Mar 10, 2020 8:03 PM
Apr 2018
A bittersweet episode if i may so.
A nice valentine day treat with the girls making chocolates with the Anthem music in the background was entertaining and fun to watch.
Chihaya's dad is such a Troll xD
Also all older members from the cast graduating from their schools and Clubs, liked how even though Hiro is a B player, the seniors still believe in him to lead the karuta club.

Taichi still figuring out his future while contemplating the present, both life and karuta wise, knows how devoted and passionately arata is taking Karuta as his main goal and what he himself needs to work upon.
Also finally he is ready to confess to chihaya soon i guess, that will be a big moment.
But yea he needs to realize that chihaya also cares for him a lot and for his happiness as well, she is going through all that trouble to make him smile and plan for his birthday as well.

Finally the MVP of the episode, Sumire. Man what a gem of a girl. From being the materialistic person who started crushing on Taichi for his looks and popularity, to actually understanding him as a person deeply ,putting real efforts in karuta to stay beside him and loving him genuinely. Fought Taichi's mom to protect him and appreciate his efforts in karuta & now putting his happiness in front of hers by motivating him to express his feelings to the one he loves inspite of knowing her love will be crushed, that really takes some heart and guts and Sumire deserves a standing ovation for this.

She really has grown a lot, Taichi you are really missing out on a great girl. :)
Glad at least he gave her a little white chocolate in return as gratitude.
Mar 10, 2020 9:31 PM
anime pervert

Apr 2013
Who would have known Sumire is going to be such a gem after she got introduced?... Man.

And why does Taichi have to suffer so much?
It's kinda obvious he's not gonna end up with Sumire, but boy would I enjoy being wrong.
Mar 10, 2020 11:36 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
For me, it was the worst episode of the whole franchise till now.

2/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 11, 2020 12:10 AM

Oct 2019
cchigu said:

2/5

Damn.. I understand where you are coming from, and id definitely agree its the worst episode of the season, but the entire franchise? Damn, u sure there aint some that are worse?
Mar 11, 2020 12:27 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Fionavar said:
cchigu said:

2/5

Damn.. I understand where you are coming from, and id definitely agree its the worst episode of the season, but the entire franchise? Damn, u sure there aint some that are worse?
I can't think of any episode in previous seasons being all over the place with this level of superficial character drama. I might be wrong though, but I really don't remember a Chihayafuru episode leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Watching this episode was akin to reading a filler chapter of a tier 3 shoujo manga.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 11, 2020 2:49 AM

May 2019
cchigu said:
]I can't think of any episode in previous seasons being all over the place with this level of superficial character drama. I might be wrong though, but I really don't remember a Chihayafuru episode leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Watching this episode was akin to reading a filler chapter of a tier 3 shoujo manga.
I agree with you, it was so fast paced and all over the place that if someone were to randomly watch it, they would think this was a recap episode
Mar 11, 2020 5:20 AM
Jan 2018
God I love this anime
Mar 11, 2020 5:28 AM

Feb 2011
Suddenly the pace feels really really rushed ? What's going on ? Any manga reader that can tell me if they're rushing through the story or not right now ?
Mar 11, 2020 5:43 AM

Oct 2019
Hatsuyuki said:
Suddenly the pace feels really really rushed ? What's going on ? Any manga reader that can tell me if they're rushing through the story or not right now ?

Adapted faithfully as always. Episode 22 covered Chapter 135 & 136. They usually animate around two chapters per episode.
Mar 11, 2020 5:45 AM

Feb 2011
Fionavar said:
Hatsuyuki said:

Adapted faithfully as always. Episode 22 covered Chapter 135 & 136. They usually animate around two chapters per episode.

I see, guess it's a source material issue then. Thanks !
Mar 11, 2020 5:46 AM

Oct 2019
Hatsuyuki said:
Fionavar said:

I see, guess it's a source material issue then. Thanks !

I think it mostly feels rushed cuze we are reaching the end of the season. As the manga does not have that issue I suppose it feels a bit less rushed?
Mar 11, 2020 6:29 AM

Oct 2015
Such a wasted karuta-themed anime because the author wanted to make this a dumb highschool romance drama. Who even fucking cares about this entire shallow and generic love-triangle action.
Mar 11, 2020 10:12 AM
May 2014
vissegard said:
Such a wasted karuta-themed anime because the author wanted to make this a dumb highschool romance drama. Who even fucking cares about this entire shallow and generic love-triangle action.

Lol what a trol :D you see straight 21 episode karuta matches... nice bait
Mar 11, 2020 10:13 AM

Oct 2012
It's tagged, coming of age, romance and Josei also, so no surprise there. Hyankunin isshu is full of romance, so like karuta, love and poetry are a continuous thread throughout the story. Everyone wants a different piece of the cake. I like karuta parts but without the rest it sure would be a dry cake. I guess Chihayafuru is nothing like ex: Hikaru no go, where they only concentrate on the sports and rivalry.

I liked this breather.......it did feel "packed" though. I didn't realize while reading the manga so much happened in such a short period.

It's hard to judge being a manga reader..........the surprise is spoiled already so....I guess personally I feel a bit harsh about the anime. It's a bit like what I felt for the LA's. It's nice but can't surpass the manga in no way. I love seeing some of the scenes animated but the "feel" is definitely a bit different. Still kudos to the author for getting a Josei anime in production!
Mar 11, 2020 11:20 AM

Oct 2015
Valiantlion960 said:

Lol what a trol :D you see straight 21 episode karuta matches... nice bait

Not a bait. In my opinion the way how this anime went from a good, interesting sport themed anime into a romance with an addition of some karuta matches in the background is just plain trash and I don't appreciate it.

chiakimagoto said:
It's tagged, coming of age, romance and Josei also, so no surprise there.

Not even a romance tag, and Josei doesn't necessarily mean that it has got to be a romance. Whatever, I don't mind a little bit of romance here and there for a flavorful plot, but focusing the entire story on it? I probably wouldn't even mind it if it was any good, but it's not.
Mar 11, 2020 11:30 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Fantastic episode! Certainly a lot happened this episode though, I must say.

"What..the..heck?" - Bloody hell, that was the exact same puzzled thought on my mind during the moment and as of now. Chihaya really does have a knack of going all-out, gee. So that's what all those letters at the start were about, huh? I was thinking having a senior just talk to him must've been a real handful to set up but now even that's like little work in comparison. Hats off to her, lol!

And a shoutout to Sumire-chan (and her divine cooking sweet-making skills) this episode too! Taichi really is a lucky guy, isn't he? Jokes aside, it was painful to see him so lost as well so seeing Sumire-chan give him such a warm push from the back was really sweet to see. Keeping him wait for another 2 weeks sounds like a real work though, xD. But I feel like certain circumstances could just light up something interesting next episode...

Chihaya's father got some wild appetite of chocolates, damn! Easy with the sugar, old man. God, the fail was so perfect to boot, brilliant stuff!

Looks like we're in going to be in for an interesting ride over the next couple of weeks...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 11, 2020 1:46 PM

Jun 2017
Here's the thing, I really ship Arata and Chihaya but let's just say Arata is going to be the "Master" at the end; it would be too unfair for Taichi if Arata gets all the credit.

I love how ambiguous Chihaya is. You don't see that very often on a female protagonist. Whoever she may end up with, that person shouldn't become a Master. Unfortunately, I don't see Taichi becoming a Master. Thus he might win Chihaya in the end.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Mar 11, 2020 1:56 PM

Mar 2013
Bruh the series is surely built heavily around Taichi more eh.
To me it looks like Arata is the real underdog of the series seeing how much attention Taichi gets in it.

Can't help but really feel anxious if my ship Arata x Chihaya will really get sailed at this rate :(
Mar 11, 2020 4:00 PM
Apr 2018
FinalFlash18 said:
Bruh the series is surely built heavily around Taichi more eh.
To me it looks like Arata is the real underdog of the series seeing how much attention Taichi gets in it.

Can't help but really feel anxious if my ship Arata x Chihaya will really get sailed at this rate :(

I mean for the starting two seasons there was a lack of screen time for Arata, but as you can see he is getting decent amount of screentime now comparatively and is being portrayed for the main important story parts with good development as well in season 3.
His story and character will just improve from now on along with the other characters, so i would just say be patient and enjoy the story, it will keep getting better and more interesting and dont lose hope. :)
Mar 11, 2020 5:18 PM

Sep 2017
This sure was a roller coaster of an episode. Felt like so much happened.
Mar 11, 2020 6:01 PM

Jan 2020
Being a manga reader, I can say that I was really surprised with this episode!
I really can’t stop to watch, and probably I will watch even more until next week episode.
But talking more about it, I really feel that this episode let some much things so clear to me! It was really painful see Chihaya crying like that because she couldn’t understand what is happening with Taichi. I really could feel all her care towards him. My heart filled with happiness because is so normal for me see this kinda of things coming from Taichi to her, so it was good to see that she can be reciprocal about it too 🥰
And Sumire stating that Chihaya also loves Taichi it was the cherry on the top of the cake for me!

Love love love love
💕💕💕💕💕
Mar 11, 2020 7:04 PM

Feb 2011
This episode was good ( bring in the romance elements back to the story is a nice change of pace): finally, Sumire confessed her feelings towards Taichi: she's someone who really cherishes Taichi as a person: for her to put his feelings before hers by encouraging him to confess his feelings for Chihaya: I mean who will go and say those words knowing her feelings will be crushed in the end ( she wants to see Taichi happy seeing his feelings being responded; she believes it). I hope Sumire will find happiness along the way.

@kipo0007 @FinalFlash18 Yup I totally understand where we stand as fans: right now Arata gets left out in many occasions: poor Arata it happened because he lives far away from his close friends: ( now Chihaya built a surprise Taichi cup without Arata getting invited: she only invited the locals: seriously I hope Chihaya will bring a surprise event for Arata too in the future): The good thing is that Arata is getting more development in the ahead chapters from the manga ( he already started to get more screentime in this season: that's a start), so we shouldn't lose hope ( and hope to see it in animated form as well): right now this moment is meant for the Taichi fans to enjoy.
Happy to see this moment where we see in taichi perspective in how serious Arata is determined in becoming Meijin ( hearing young Chihaya said it to him), all that matters is for our favorite characters to lead them towards their happy lives, one way or another.

sweetangieMar 11, 2020 7:08 PM
Mar 12, 2020 11:22 AM

Jan 2013
ain't gonna lie this episode was cringe af. i mean give me a break already! your teenage drama and stupid karuta no longer phases me. i'm surprised i managed to last this long but i can't put up with this infantile childishness anymore. crying over valentine confessions? really?! worst season ever.
Mar 12, 2020 11:36 AM

May 2019
Man, only 2 episodes are left and god knows when we'll see the fourth season (if we ever see) T_T
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Mar 12, 2020 1:52 PM

Apr 2010
Oh these shirts... I'd die if I got them...

Wonder wha the next two episodes will bring us.

Mar 12, 2020 3:04 PM
Dec 2018
Sumire is a wonderful character. I hope the story will not dump a load of rubbish on her now.
Mar 13, 2020 11:32 AM

Jul 2009
I can see why some people didn't like this episode - but to me, this is where Chihayafuru is at. Yes this is a "sports anime", but to me it's a slice of life and coming of age story first, and this episode really encapsulates that for me. Sumire really had a lot of time to shine here - first of all with the chocolate, and then with her confession, and then TELLING TAICHI TO CONFESS - oh boy. Of course I know "THAT SCENE" is coming up but I was a little surprised it was happening now - not at the end of the season?! Seems like I just forgot how much other stuff happened before then XD Nice to see everyone else worrying about him though - Chihaya organizing the Taichi cup (lol those shirts) was nice to see, Hiroshi "drinking" with him and asking about Arata, of course everyone else in the club as well. So nice to see them more because their relationships was the best thing about the show IMO. It was nice to see the graduation of so many of the schools and their teams - and of course, this means our main cast will be in 3rd year next year. Loads of big changes coming up ... seeing Komano and his scores (but we're not shown Taichi's) - but his question to Chihaya about studying and practice ... oh boy. All in all, I'm fairly confident that we're going to end off the season with next episode being the Taichi Cup and then the end of the school year in the final one!
Mar 13, 2020 4:54 PM
Oct 2012
Ah, so this is how it ends! Taichi Cup will be the end of 3rd season.

Hope the committee is able to secure a 4th season!
Mar 14, 2020 9:24 AM

Dec 2015
Sumire-chan is really growing to be one of my favorites from the entire cast here and that's saying a lot. She deserves a statue for telling Taichi all that even though it obviously broke her heart. Also, Chihaya's dad really stole that moment XD.
Mar 14, 2020 2:21 PM

Feb 2008
Too bad, Sumire. She sure touched my heart, though. Alas, Sumire was never going to do more than merely touch Taichi's as well.
Mar 14, 2020 3:45 PM
Feb 2019
Well, finally caught up the anime.

I don't know why this episode has a so big backlash, yeah, it isn't as exciting as the tournament matches but it's a good episode nonethelees, it may be a bit rushed but it isn't that big of a deal, some say it's stupid that suddenly it's love focused but for me it wasn't that focused on it, instead, it's a good peace before the storm episode (I mean, there's only 2 left, there most something spicy to see).
Loved the Sumire's confession to Taichi, and how she has left her selfishness aside, just to encourage Taichi to confess Chihaya once and for all, and the kindness showed from the girls to the boys with all that event in the club room (what a shame that Mr. Ayase had something else in mind lol), and although it was mainly done to get some frustation away from Taichi, it was a warmful moment; also, at the end I was the same as Taichi, surprised, a cup in his name, Chihaya surely has some original ideas.
Also, chocalte and salted fish:

Anime only here.
Finally, after taking a look in the manga discussion (because looking for the chapter rigth after the one currently adapted is always a good idea), at this point I'm hyping episode 23 like
mafd12Mar 14, 2020 4:01 PM
Mar 17, 2020 2:45 PM

Oct 2013
What a cute Valentine's Day party! Too bad Chihaya's dad ate everything the day before. xD

Wow, while I really disliked Sumire at first after she was introduced as a character back in Season 2, I like the way in which she received her character's development. She truly became beautiful with age and I'm not talking about her look, but about attitude and personality.

Taichi received quite alright birthday present... I suppose, lol.
Mar 21, 2020 8:37 PM

Aug 2018
Finally Hanano got a lot screentime in this episode.

As a dude im somewhat jealous to Taichi he got everything (except for Chihaya xD) and yet he got stressed out with just a little problem. He got the talent but he need to work on his mental fortitude to beat Arata.

Overall another great episode
I enjoyed this a lot
Also wtf Chihaya did in last scene of episode lol

EDIT:

Lmao to people complaining about this episode they need this kind ep just to refresh our mind in intense karuta that happened in previous episodes. They be like "worst season ever" get a brain dude.
SOP-IIMar 21, 2020 8:48 PM
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Mar 24, 2020 11:43 AM

Dec 2014
hmm damn taichi..the shock was all the more real
Apr 6, 2020 6:43 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Sumire-chan, so much respect. So cool, yet so heartbreaking. That takes guts. But also good job Taichi for catching her gift (or receiving her feelings?) Fucking Chihaya's dad for eating her snacks >:l
Apr 7, 2020 6:06 PM

Apr 2016
Oe looked cute with her hair down.

Man Chihaya crying for Taichi's sake was a really emotional moment.

Damn look at Hanano, confessing to Taichi (again) and giving him some motivation. That was touching.
Dec 5, 2020 10:21 AM
Jan 2017
Taichi Cup That is freaking hilarious. LOL He is not like some legend or anything that they named a tournament after him.I understand how Taichi might be embarrassed by this gesture.
It looks like these final episode's focus will be toward this love triangle.As much as I really love this series.I hate to admit that the series portrayal of romance is pretty poor.As much as the people are interested in shipping the characters.I barely cared about this love triangle.Although I am really glad that author chose to focus on karuta pretty much all the time.That is what makes the series great.
And now author is turning towards the love triangle plot which she has no idea to execute.
Let's see what will happen in next episode.
Jan 28, 2021 12:11 AM

Jul 2020
I was like how was this show going to wrap up this season omg Taichi’s face at the end.... that’s gold. 2 more episodes to go :,(
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

19 by NiQ1 »»
Mar 21, 2:01 AM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2019

105 by Katsu-kun »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.