Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 3, 2020 8:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh man, that scene of Taichi crossing paths with Arata gave me the chills.

Also interesting that Taichi decided not to go to Tokyo. Seeing the two together really made them stand out on another level compared to before. Only three episodes left but this latest one is getting me hyped for the climax soon. It's great to see both characters in the competitive karuta scene again.

Mar 3, 2020 9:05 AM

Nov 2007
Main girl is very shocked at Mamo's character always do it without telling.

Mamo's character already booked a place to stay by himself.

Even Miyu-Miyu's character is in kimono. Only the kouhai girl not attending.

Hosoya-san's character got popular w. what he did the day before.

Main girl meeting an opponent who is unique in personality.

Mamo's character vs. Hosoya-san's character. Even though it looked nice competition, Mamo's character (#4) lost to Hosoya-san's character, who is #2.

Main girl won.

Meijin eating too much again. It seems like Mamo's character riding the same train as current meijin.
tsubasaloverMar 4, 2020 12:01 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 3, 2020 2:19 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Arata being happy playing against Taichi made my day.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 3, 2020 2:30 PM
Apr 2018
"A new year and new beginning with forewarning of things coming to an end" vibes.

Chihaya slowly understanding that everyone has their own battles to fight and taichi is doing so as well.
Not only the main three everyone from the club and other characters also taking things seriously with their future with karuta. Tsukuba eyeing his president post. xD
Sumire getting a view of the clubs future, Seniors graduating and leaving, parting ways. Changes which are inevitable,which is kinda sad, but the truth.
Arata has apparently become popular with his open challenge to suo,poor guy his shy personality really isn't keeping up with all the attention. xD

Coming to the main part. Arata and Taichi.
Their rivalry and friendship, its a beautiful combination and something rare to see. You could see that both were really enjoying playing with each other and actually having fun. They would be amazing pair of friends only if that awkward barrier isnt there, one day we might actually see them break it together.
Anyways coming back, now taichi knows about Arata and Chihaya's confession it seems and at the end he lost the match as well to Arata and Arata lost to Murao.
Only winner being chihaya.
Taichi's sleeping with a single tear in his eyes was really hurtful to watch, but he cant let himself down and only go on forward. Speaking of which he has found a new friend and mentor in suo i guess? Suo really has taken a interest in him.

Also speaking of Bad luck, if anyone has it worse than Taichi its Hiro, this guy is forever stuck in B class, its really depressing to watch him like that tbh. But Nishida's sister is like really best girl material, supporting him through thick and thin like that & never giving up on him. Respect.

Kipo0007Mar 3, 2020 2:50 PM
Mar 3, 2020 2:51 PM

May 2016
That one little tear left with a really sorrowful feeling... ;-;
Mar 3, 2020 2:59 PM
Apr 2016
That was sudden... expected Taichi and Arata to face each other way way later! Both of them are awesome and deserve to win, but I still felt really bad seeing the tear.
Mar 3, 2020 3:04 PM

Nov 2016
That New Year motivation.

Raizel said:

Nobody has compassion for my man Retro, feels bad ;_;

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 3, 2020 3:24 PM
Dec 2018
They are all young so deserve the benefit of the doubt.

But, really, Taichi, give it up, your endless struggling and usually losing should have given you a big hint, move on from there! OF course, all of this will lead to more and more crushing defeats for him. In every way possible.

Chihaya is as dense and idiotic as usual, you would think that someone who has such strong feelings for Arata would understand why the person who is the third wheel would go off on his own sometimes. How old are these people? Are people in Japan really as dense as we see in so many of these anime?
Mar 3, 2020 3:43 PM

Aug 2014
oh yeah. thats the stuff
Mar 3, 2020 3:54 PM

Jun 2007
aren't we blessed with chihayafuru as a part of our lives? that's what i was thinking when the episode ended...
i think i wrote a similar comment in the past too haha
see you, space cowperson . . .
Mar 3, 2020 4:10 PM
Mar 2015
So many fateful meetings Arata with Taichi Suo with Taichi Both are important to the story The tournament results seem to be an after thought but even they portend the future Tameru taking Class B and resenting Chihaya for beating her brother Taichi confronting Arata about Chihaya Sending the Chihayafuru card in order to take it back
landofthekwtMar 3, 2020 7:38 PM
Mar 3, 2020 4:23 PM

Feb 2018
Screw it. Taichi x Arata
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Mar 3, 2020 5:40 PM
Sep 2017
I loved it when Arata saw Taichi at the tournament and was immediately looking all over for Chihaya - so cute!!
Legit felt bad for both Taichi and Retro losing and being upset, but at the same time, I wanted Arata to win SO much, sooooo... sorry Taichi! I’m glad Arata had fun playing him - it seemed like for Taichi, not so much, but I’m sure he felt more pressure and less confidence, therefore more stressed.
I wish we would hear something about their working on a S4 - I don’t want to think about having only 3 episodes left! :(
Mar 3, 2020 5:41 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

That part where Taichi gives Arata the card symbolizing how he'll fight against him for Chihaya, damn.

Taichi losing was expected, though I would've loved to see more of the match. Just the little bits we saw was wonderful and it was very nice to see both of them so competitive but at the same time enjoying it deep down.

Taichi's tears as Suo looked back. :(
Mar 3, 2020 8:57 PM

Oct 2012
Yeah their match was just.....so much stuff happened there. Their friendship felt so real. That moment where Taichi sends the Chiha card....they both know what it means.

And wait!?? Is Arata crushing on Taichi??? That was so cute, lol....🤗

And Suou got interested in Taichi!!! Btw what gobbling sweets eater he is!!
chiakimagotoMar 3, 2020 10:22 PM
Mar 4, 2020 5:29 AM

May 2016
FMmatron said:
That New Year motivation.

Raizel said:

Nobody has compassion for my man Retro, feels bad ;_;

Kek.... man who cares about those useless fugly couple xD
Mar 4, 2020 6:39 AM

May 2019
Suo is seriously extremely cute while eating. And he offered his food to Taichi T_T

Kipo0007 said:
Taichi's sleeping with a single tear in his eyes was really hurtful to watch, but he cant let himself down and only go on forward. Speaking of which he has found a new friend and mentor in suo i guess? Suo really has taken a interest in him.

Agreed. That was actually a really powerful scene. Suo can be a great big brother to Taichi. We had Shinobu and Arata, and now we have Suo and Taichi.

Gab5 said:
Chihaya is as dense and idiotic as usual, you would think that someone who has such strong feelings for Arata would understand why the person who is the third wheel would go off on his own sometimes. How old are these people? Are people in Japan really as dense as we see in so many of these anime?

This is so true. A lot of anime people are tense, but I've never seen many as dense as Chihaya. I like her but she makes me really angry in those times.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Mar 4, 2020 7:01 AM
Dec 2018

This is so true. A lot of anime people are tense, but I've never seen many as dense as Chihaya. I like her but she makes me really angry in those times.

It almost runs the show for me because hating the main character's behaviour makes it hard to watch. Luckily, her two close friends are not as irritating. But they have been milking her dense character for too long and far too much. Are we meant to believe that anyone would be this clueless after all this time?
Mar 4, 2020 12:28 PM

Apr 2010
Raizel said:

So agree... he works so hard...

Mar 4, 2020 1:40 PM

Mar 2012
So someone please explain to me...

Are we supposed to infer that Taichi defeated himself by losing his cool playing against Arata after Arata admitted he had confessed to Chihaya?

That tear drop suggests that Taichi now knows.

axel360 said:
Screw it. Taichi x Arata

LOL I've been saying this for a while. Somehow if Chihaya wasn't the MC, those 2 would somehow work as a couple.

Gab5 said:
They are all young so deserve the benefit of the doubt.

But, really, Taichi, give it up, your endless struggling and usually losing should have given you a big hint, move on from there! OF course, all of this will lead to more and more crushing defeats for him. In every way possible.

I'm going to disagree with this. If he gave up now, he'd only be doing the bad advice his mother gave him; give up on anything really difficult and focus on what he can win. He's not giving up on Chihaya and he shouldn't give up on trying to beat Arata in karuta. Even if he's destined to lose, he has to keep fighting and giving his all. It's what is making him grow as a person and he realizes this. It's why he knows he should have stood up to Suo for Harada Sensei and is ashamed he didn't but instead was hoping Suo would retire and he'd never have to face him for the title of Meijin. That really is a loser's track of thought and while Taichi doesn't want to lose but most of all, he doesn't want to be a coward. So he has to keep at it even if he's still losing. Plus he loves Chihaya that much and is willing to fight for her.
MetaKiteMar 6, 2020 3:17 AM
Mar 4, 2020 3:44 PM

Sep 2017
Chad Arata once again crushing virgin Taichi. That's the good stuff right there. He is forever stuck in Arata's shadow. Lovable dork Chihaya still crushing tournaments of her own.
Mar 4, 2020 4:42 PM

Sep 2014
Arata vs Taichi i'm living for it!!!
Mar 4, 2020 6:19 PM
Dec 2018

I'm going to disagree with this. If he gave up now, he'd only be doing the bad advice his mother gave him; give up on anything really difficult and focus on what he can win. He's not giving up on Chihaya and he shouldn't give up on trying to beat Arata in karuta. Even if he's destined to lose, he has to keep fighting and giving his all. It's what is making him grow as a person and he realizes this. It's why he knows he should have stood up to Suo for Harada Sensei and is ashamed he didn't but instead was hoping Suo would retire and he'd never have to face him for the title of Meijin. That really is a loser's track of thought and while Taichi doesn't want to lose but most of all, he doesn't want to be a coward. So he has to keep at it even if he's still losing. Plus he loves Chihaya that much and is willing to fight for her.

Realistically, as many keep telling us on here, the game is up, she has chosen Arata and Arata has let her know that he has feelings for her too. So fighting at this point means going through heartache for a situation that might not be impossible but is close to it. I don't think there is anything cowardly about knowing when to quit, particularly when you have spent a lot of time and effort on something. He's on a loser here, as far as a relationship with Chihaya is concerned, and he is only going to hurt himself more if continues to pursue that. I think it is sometimes the braver thing to do, knowing when to call time on something, particularly when a potential relationship is at stake.

As for the Karuta, there may well be more reason for him to continue fighting there but considering the proximity of his rival and the target of his unrequited affection, that is probably going to suffer as well. Particularly as they are both better than him at the game. For the sake of the plot it makes sense that he hangs around and keeps fighting, but if he were my friend in real life I would tell him to move on. There are plenty of other pursuits which he can find just as rewarding without having his feelings dragged through the dirt by the other two and then losing countless matches against them. He's never beaten either of them once. This is probably a good time for him to be honest with himself and ask himself why he started to play and why he continues to play. Because if either of those reasons come back to Chihaya, that ship has now sailed. He can try hard and lose in lots of other places where he won't feel so humiliated or so useless.
Mar 4, 2020 6:34 PM

Mar 2012
axel360 said:
Screw it. Taichi x Arata

Lol Wouldn’t that be the ultimate kick to the nuts for every Chihayafuru shipper ever.
Mar 5, 2020 12:50 AM

Mar 2011
That Taichi tear right there Q~Q
Mar 5, 2020 6:53 AM

Oct 2012
^Would be a very attractive alternative!
^///^

I feel he must go as far as he can....to stop the circle of his mother's moto. Has he really given it his all at this point? I don't think so.

It's a pretty bittersweet road for him though..... painful.
Mar 5, 2020 9:45 AM

Jan 2008
Gab5 said:

Realistically, as many keep telling us on here, the game is up, she has chosen Arata and Arata has let her know that he has feelings for her too. So fighting at this point means going through heartache for a situation that might not be impossible but is close to it. I don't think there is anything cowardly about knowing when to quit, particularly when you have spent a lot of time and effort on something. He's on a loser here, as far as a relationship with Chihaya is concerned, and he is only going to hurt himself more if continues to pursue that. I think it is sometimes the braver thing to do, knowing when to call time on something, particularly when a potential relationship is at stake.

As for the Karuta, there may well be more reason for him to continue fighting there but considering the proximity of his rival and the target of his unrequited affection, that is probably going to suffer as well. Particularly as they are both better than him at the game. For the sake of the plot it makes sense that he hangs around and keeps fighting, but if he were my friend in real life I would tell him to move on. There are plenty of other pursuits which he can find just as rewarding without having his feelings dragged through the dirt by the other two and then losing countless matches against them. He's never beaten either of them once. This is probably a good time for him to be honest with himself and ask himself why he started to play and why he continues to play. Because if either of those reasons come back to Chihaya, that ship has now sailed. He can try hard and lose in lots of other places where he won't feel so humiliated or so useless.
Eh, I don't buy it. Taichi is pretty freaking good at this game. He's accomplished a lot after only being serious about it for a couple years. He beat Murao for Christ's sake. And almost beat Chihaya. All recently. So yes, Arata's the chosen one but he's not THAT much better than Taichi all things considered, who I think just based on what they've shown of his intellect and ability learn and grow as a player, is the exact kind of player that would be a threat to Arata if he sticks with it.

It sucks that his days are numbered, because if he had a 2-3 year window, he wouldn't feel so pressured.

As for Chihaya, who knows what she feels. Can you really base a relationship off a love for a game? Taichi loves it too, but there's a lot more to their relationship than just karuta. Chihaya just worships Arata for his skills. I don't ship it.

Mar 5, 2020 11:24 AM

Oct 2012
Yeah who knows what she thinks....lol...that moment when she beats Sudo...ROFL...that face before she falls asleep flat on her face...
chiakimagotoMar 5, 2020 12:02 PM
Mar 5, 2020 11:41 AM
Apr 2018
masaba said:
Gab5 said:

Eh, I don't buy it. Taichi is pretty freaking good at this game. He's accomplished a lot after only being serious about it for a couple years. He beat Murao for Christ's sake. And almost beat Chihaya. All recently. So yes, Arata's the chosen one but he's not THAT much better than Taichi all things considered, who I think just based on what they've shown of his intellect and ability learn and grow as a player, is the exact kind of player that would be a threat to Arata if he sticks with it.

It sucks that his days are numbered, because if he had a 2-3 year window, he wouldn't feel so pressured.

As for Chihaya, who knows what she feels. Can you really base a relationship off a love for a game? Taichi loves it too, but there's a lot more to their relationship than just karuta. Chihaya just worships Arata for his skills. I don't ship it.

First of all if Taichi can grow, so can Arata and dont forget Arata had dropped Karuta for a long time after his Grandfather died but still is able to keep his level of plays to that of the professionals. Taichi is a great player, which he has proved this season, but he has only recently started showing the like and passion towards karuta because earlier he only played karuta to get close to chihaya, he doesnt love the game in that retrospect which people like Chihaya, shinobu, Arata and other passionate players do.

And finally Chihaya doesn't just admire Arata just on based of Karuta, theres a whole lot of emotion and feelings she has towards him outside of the game especially for the fact how he changed her life. she is just too naive and an airhead to realize what it is yet, but after the confession you could see all over her face and mind. Its okay if you dont ship it, but what you are presenting on their relation is far from the truth.
Mar 5, 2020 3:59 PM
Dec 2018
masaba said:
Gab5 said:

Taichi is 'almost' in this world. He needs to find a better setting for himself and step out of other people's shadow.

As is the case in many stories like this, someone always seems to have to lose big. In this one it is Taichi.
Mar 5, 2020 6:28 PM

Mar 2012
Gab5 said:

No, Chihaya hasn't chosen anybody at this point. Arata is still her inspiration but it's obvious through her reactions when Taichi leaves on his own that he is the one she is most attached to. She has made no choice. If she had, there would be no love triangle. What are you smoking?

Have you ever fought for anything you ever truly despite all the heartache and set backs that made it seem impossible? I'm going to say no since you sound like a quitter.

Also, Taichi isn't playing karuta so hard just for Chihaya to notice him. He's playing for his own sake. His pride and his personal growth. I think you understand Taichi even less than Chihaya currently does. Taichi has always taken the coward's route; the easy routes but not this time. He has the talent and can still aim for Meijin or just impressing Chihaya (which I think he shouldn't bother with but should focus on his personal growth goals). Should Harada had given up playing karuta because his knees were in pain? Should he have never competed in the last tournament because of that? Seriously think about what you are saying when you say Taichi should quit even though he's still very young and has his whole life ahead of himself. Karuta is really not a game about age and you should already know that but you act like Taichi has no chance whatsoever. He has perseverance and determination. That's more than Arata had shown before who gave up playing for a couple years.

Kipo0007 said:

First of all if Taichi can grow, so can Arata and dont forget Arata had dropped Karuta for a long time after his Grandfather died but still is able to keep his level of plays to that of the professionals. Taichi is a great player, which he has proved this season, but he has only recently started showing the like and passion towards karuta because earlier he only played karuta to get close to chihaya, he doesnt love the game in that retrospect which people like Chihaya, shinobu, Arata and other passionate players do.

And finally Chihaya doesn't just admire Arata just on based of Karuta, theres a whole lot of emotion and feelings she has towards him outside of the game especially for the fact how he changed her life. she is just too naive and an airhead to realize what it is yet, but after the confession you could see all over her face and mind. Its okay if you dont ship it, but what you are presenting on their relation is far from the truth.
She's not in love with Arata. She loves him as a good friend which is how she feels towards Taichi but she hasn't figured out her feelings for either in a romantic sense.

Gab5 said:

Taichi is 'almost' in this world. He needs to find a better setting for himself and step out of other people's shadow.

As is the case in many stories like this, someone always seems to have to lose big. In this one it is Taichi.
You're wrong but you'll have to wait and see. I don't see this ending with any real losers and certainly not Taichi as the one to lose big. If anything, Taichi's efforts to better himself as a person (something I don't see Arata doing with his shortness with Yuu and even snide attitude towards Taichi) may just lead him to see beyond Chihaya and even eclipse going to medical school. Seriously, who do you think will lose here when Taichi finally steps out of the shadows and starts really living for himself? Think about it. Only place for him to go is up even if he doesn't achieve becoming Meijin. No, I haven't read the manga.
MetaKiteMar 5, 2020 6:47 PM
Mar 5, 2020 10:06 PM

Jul 2009
Taichi/Arata is the true OTP here. Seriously ... Arata blushing?! Them being all friendly when they were playing?! Come on, make this the true endgame pairing :P OK but seriously though, great episode. We finally get a breather from all that tournament action. The Tamura (I think?) siblings are introduced here, and the sequence of Chihaya "learning" from everyone was really nice. Plus more Suou! Seems like he's interested in the Taichi vs Arata match. Retro's having a tough time with it too. Man, Taichi crying on the train ride home ... and Suou being there ... he really is the most interesting person isn't he? :P Plus Taichi asking Arata if he's "said anything" to Chihaya and then passing him that card ... lol, he's onto you! Only a few episodes left, I wonder where we'll end off this season? :O
Mar 5, 2020 11:27 PM

Feb 2011
OMG, OMG This episode really brought Arata's cuteness into the highlights ( HIS CUTENESS CARRIES NO PRICE; HE'S SO ADORABLE BY NATURE). When Arata first arrived at the memorial tournament he felt embarrassed hearing the people about his determination with Suo: he's even covering his face while his face was red, SO CUTE!!!! Funny when Taichi first came Arata was turning around hoping to see Chihaya I bet ( then Taichi said he came alone) and here we have Arata vs Taichi reunion match at last ( seriously I really wish we get to see their entire match instead). I really enjoy the chemistry these two boys brought together; their bromance is so touching ( even though they both are rivals in romance and karuta: they both are very close friends). Seeing Arata blushing placing a match with Taichi is so adorable and they both had fun playing karuta together ( come on Taichi you too: just admit it). When Taichi told Arata what he said to Chihaya back in fall: OMG SEEING ARATA'S CUTEST EXPRESSION ON HIS FACE REALLY MADE MY DAY ( I COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING FROM TEH CUTENESS THAT EVEN BROUGHT A GOOFY LOOK ON MY FACE, TOTALLY EPIC, DAISUKI!!!! <3

It's sad to see the moment Taichi placed the "chiha" card to Arata that's where the atmosphere of their match changed ( it's like he's declaring war to Arata this time: so there we have it, both boys already declared each other for Chihaya's heart) and sadly it brought their match to the end: seeing the overall results.
Stay tuned for the next episode
Mar 6, 2020 2:47 AM

Oct 2012
MetaKite said:
Gab5 said:

No, Chihaya hasn't chosen anybody at this point. Arata is still her inspiration but it's obvious through her reactions when Taichi leaves on his own that he is the one she is most attached to. She has made no choice. If she had, there would be no love triangle. What are you smoking?

Have you ever fought for anything you ever truly despite all the heartache and set backs that made it seem impossible? I'm going to say no since you sound like a quitter.

Also, Taichi isn't playing karuta so hard just for Chihaya to notice him. He's playing for his own sake. His pride and his personal growth. I think you understand Taichi even less than Chihaya currently does. Taichi has always taken the coward's route; the easy routes but not this time. He has the talent and can still aim for Meijin or just impressing Chihaya (which I think he shouldn't bother with but should focus on his personal growth goals). Should Harada had given up playing karuta because his knees were in pain? Should he have never competed in the last tournament because of that? Seriously think about what you are saying when you say Taichi should quit even though he's still very young and has his whole life ahead of himself. Karuta is really not a game about age and you should already know that but you act like Taichi has no chance whatsoever. He has perseverance and determination. That's more than Arata had shown before who gave up playing for a couple years.

Kipo0007 said:

She's not in love with Arata. She loves him as a good friend which is how she feels towards Taichi but she hasn't figured out her feelings for either in a romantic sense.

Gab5 said:

You're wrong but you'll have to wait and see. I don't see this ending with any real losers and certainly not Taichi as the one to lose big. If anything, Taichi's efforts to better himself as a person (something I don't see Arata doing with his shortness with Yuu and even snide attitude towards Taichi) may just lead him to see beyond Chihaya and even eclipse going to medical school. Seriously, who do you think will lose here when Taichi finally steps out of the shadows and starts really living for himself? Think about it. Only place for him to go is up even if he doesn't achieve becoming Meijin. No, I haven't read the manga.

Just want to say I love this post! And you haven't even read the manga ! đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź
Couldn't have said it better.
Mar 6, 2020 3:33 AM

Mar 2012
chiakimagoto said:

Just want to say I love this post! And you haven't even read the manga ! đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź
Couldn't have said it better.
Thank you. It just bothers me how much people refuse to understand the flow of a narrative, plotting and foreshadowing. You don't have to be a professional storyboard artist like me to understand it either. Just pay attention to the details the story itself is hinting at.

I also feel like Arata's fans on here are very dismissive of Taichi much like Arata himself has been. They all look down on Taichi and treat him like he's supposed to be second tier and a loser when that's not where the story's narrative is going with Taichi. Even if love from Chihaya is not the end goal for Taichi. It's much bigger than that and Taichi's personal journey is not the same as Chihaya's or Arata's. Yet, they, Arata's fans, get super defensive if you don't worship and give up everything for their guy. It's annoying as hell.
MetaKiteMar 6, 2020 3:49 AM
Mar 6, 2020 3:40 AM
Apr 2018
MetaKite said:
Gab5 said:

Kipo0007 said:

Gab5 said:

I didnt say its confirmed she loves Arata but my point to the other person that no she just doesnt admire him just because of Karuta, there are other things as well. And no she doesnt see taichi the same way she looks at Arata. It has been shown multiple times and hinted, especially at the time when Arata touched shinoubu's forehead to check for fever and chihaya had the jealous look on her face, she definitely see's him in a different light and no its not admiration.
Mar 6, 2020 5:02 AM
Apr 2018
sweetangie said:
OMG, OMG This episode really brought Arata's cuteness into the highlights ( HIS CUTENESS CARRIES NO PRICE; HE'S SO ADORABLE BY NATURE). When Arata first arrived at the memorial tournament he felt embarrassed hearing the people about his determination with Suo: he's even covering his face while his face was red, SO CUTE!!!! Funny when Taichi first came Arata was turning around hoping to see Chihaya I bet ( then Taichi said he came alone) and here we have Arata vs Taichi reunion match at last ( seriously I really wish we get to see their entire match instead). I really enjoy the chemistry these two boys brought together; their bromance is so touching ( even though they both are rivals in romance and karuta: they both are very close friends). Seeing Arata blushing placing a match with Taichi is so adorable and they both had fun playing karuta together ( come on Taichi you too: just admit it). When Taichi told Arata what he said to Chihaya back in fall: OMG SEEING ARATA'S CUTEST EXPRESSION ON HIS FACE REALLY MADE MY DAY ( I COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING FROM TEH CUTENESS THAT EVEN BROUGHT A GOOFY LOOK ON MY FACE, TOTALLY EPIC, DAISUKI!!!! <3

It's sad to see the moment Taichi placed the "chiha" card to Arata that's where the atmosphere of their match changed ( it's like he's declaring war to Arata this time: so there we have it, both boys already declared each other for Chihaya's heart) and sadly it brought their match to the end: seeing the overall results.
Stay tuned for the next episode

The boys were really having a wholesome fun moment at the start, it was so enjoyable to watch and then it got all serious which was actually sad to see. One day hopefully both of them can climb that awkward barried between them.

Mar 6, 2020 11:49 PM

Feb 2011
@Kipo0007 Seriously I really wanted to see the whole match of Arata vs Taichi: seinsei decided to cut their match short for a reason and yes later of the story we do get to see an expended version of their match ( sadly we won't get to see it in animated form unless the animators consider animated the entire concept of the story: now that we know the manga is reaching towards its end this possibility is still possible.
Mar 7, 2020 3:43 AM
Apr 2018
sweetangie said:
@Kipo0007 Seriously I really wanted to see the whole match of Arata vs Taichi: seinsei decided to cut their match short for a reason and yes later of the story we do get to see an expended version of their match ( sadly we won't get to see it in animated form unless the animators consider animated the entire concept of the story: now that we know the manga is reaching towards its end this possibility is still possible.

I mean i am highly sure after the big success of season 3, we definitely have a high chance of getting a new season announced soon and the studio and animator adapt most of the stuff from the manga. I really have high hopes for this.
Mar 7, 2020 8:16 AM

Oct 2019
This might be one of my favourite episodes of the third season, though I do wish we got to see the full match between Arata x Taichi. Still, it was nice to get a closer look into the dynamic between the boys

Mar 7, 2020 12:57 PM

Feb 2008
Taichi's moves are subtle. His motives are concealed yet clearly comprehensible. I cannot help but root for him as he tries to overcome the overwhelming odds against him.

Too bad that Taichi's endeavour ended on a bittersweet note. For now...
Mar 8, 2020 4:45 PM

Nov 2012
It feels like this episode set us up for too much for there to only be 3 episodes left. I hate that Taichi was beat by Arata again. That tear in his eye while he was sleeping...aw man! But it seems like Suo is going to help his play style if not by constructive criticism then by coaching. I felt so bad for Retro-kun. I guess he should be B-kun. We didn't find out about everyone else. I hope they leveled up, especially Desk-kun. If there's a 4, I'd like to see the departure of Sumire (is that her name.. I don't even know the character's name). She seems like background dressing. She likes Taichi so she joined the club. There's nothing else to her. It's time for her to get serious or get out the way.
Mar 8, 2020 5:43 PM

Oct 2019
dragynfaerie said:
It feels like this episode set us up for too much for there to only be 3 episodes left. I hate that Taichi was beat by Arata again. That tear in his eye while he was sleeping...aw man! But it seems like Suo is going to help his play style if not by constructive criticism then by coaching. I felt so bad for Retro-kun. I guess he should be B-kun. We didn't find out about everyone else. I hope they leveled up, especially Desk-kun. If there's a 4, I'd like to see the departure of Sumire (is that her name.. I don't even know the character's name). She seems like background dressing. She likes Taichi so she joined the club. There's nothing else to her. It's time for her to get serious or get out the way.

You.. you take that back! Sumire is best girl!
Mar 8, 2020 11:37 PM

Oct 2012
Yes. It's been so good in such a compelling way.....

I think I'll let Sensei puzzle out the ending cause I'm lost. Tbh sometimes I want Taichi to end up with Chihaya and sometimes I don't know. I definitely think Chihaya has to do some serious growing up on her side as well. She leans way too much on Taichi's presence and only now is starting to feel jittery cause he's sort of starting to be out of her reach. She takes it very much for granted that he always is there.

It's definitely only a part of what made me love this story....there is so much more to it than that...well I hope to see more of you for these last 3 episodes.
chiakimagotoMar 9, 2020 12:23 AM
Mar 9, 2020 5:37 AM
Dec 2018
That was meant for Kip regarding Arata fans. My debate with you was regarding you saying Taichi should quit. That hasn't changed. See my response above.

I've seen all the comments about foreshadowing, nothing's been decided, etc, etc, a few times before and, despite people saying the game isn't over, there have been plenty of hints that Taichi is set to lose out.

The only way Taichi wins the girl is if Arata screws up somehow. Whether the writer allows him to prevail ar karuta is anyone's guess but this wouldn't be the first anime or manga to leave a main character with nothing so confidence that this is all good for Taichi amounts to a guess and nothing else.

As I've said, we will see, wont we? But if I was his friend I'd tell Taichi to focus on other things. Only in anime or Hollywood does someone take an eternity to decide between two people. One has already confessed and the other has been around the whole time. What is there really to work out? The author is trying to crank up the suspense. Anything else now makes no sense. Chihaya makes a fuss about Taichi vanishing on his own cos she sees him as a friend and she is worried about him 'getting the jump on her', which see says every time he does it.

So let's see what happens. We can be as confident as we like but only time will tell who is right. If Chihaya ends with anyone its Arata. Dont know about Karuta but I suspect Arata wins there too. Maybe Taichi might beat him in 10 years or so, good for him.
Mar 9, 2020 7:12 AM

Oct 2012
Gab5 said:
That was meant for Kip regarding Arata fans. My debate with you was regarding you saying Taichi should quit. That hasn't changed. See my response above.

I've seen all the comments about foreshadowing, nothing's been decided, etc, etc, a few times before and, despite people saying the game isn't over, there have been plenty of hints that Taichi is set to lose out.

The only way Taichi wins the girl is if Arata screws up somehow. Whether the writer allows him to prevail ar karuta is anyone's guess but this wouldn't be the first anime or manga to leave a main character with nothing so confidence that this is all good for Taichi amounts to a guess and nothing else.

As I've said, we will see, wont we? But if I was his friend I'd tell Taichi to focus on other things. Only in anime or Hollywood does someone take an eternity to decide between two people. One has already confessed and the other has been around the whole time. What is there really to work out? The author is trying to crank up the suspense. Anything else now makes no sense. Chihaya makes a fuss about Taichi vanishing on his own cos she sees him as a friend and she is worried about him 'getting the jump on her', which see says every time he does it.

So let's see what happens. We can be as confident as we like but only time will tell who is right. If Chihaya ends with anyone its Arata. Dont know about Karuta but I suspect Arata wins there too. Maybe Taichi might beat him in 10 years or so, good for him.

I think Taichi still wants to follow his mentors advice: "Don't give up before you really tried". At this point he maybe hasn't tried enough. If you don't really try your best you'll have regrets........at least if you give it your all and lose, you know in your heart you gave everything you had. Otherwise you'll always think, "what if??" So that's why he needs to go all the way. This is more for himself than for Chihaya......

It's good he started "working" on stuff for himself, without Chihaya. Taichi really needs to do that!! Without pleasing his mother, Chihaya, the team or whatever. He needs to think about what he really wants and which path he wants to take.

About Chihaya ending with Arata..........well, indeed time will tell. Personally I'm not confident at all, but still there is my gut feeling about this..........lol, might be very wrong though.

Mar 9, 2020 7:26 AM
Dec 2018
chiakimagoto said:
Gab5 said:

I think Taichi still wants to follow his mentors advice: "Don't give up before you really tried". At this point he maybe hasn't tried enough. If you don't really try your best you'll have regrets........at least if you give it your all and lose, you know in your heart you gave everything you had. Otherwise you'll always think, "what if??" So that's why he needs to go all the way. This is more for himself than for Chihaya......

It's good he started "working" on stuff for himself, without Chihaya. Taichi really needs to do that!! Without pleasing his mother, Chihaya, the team or whatever. He needs to think about what he really wants and which path he wants to take.

About Chihaya ending with Arata..........well, indeed time will tell. Personally I'm not confident at all, but still there is my gut feeling about this..........lol, might be very wrong though.

I definitely prefer to see him going it alone. Be that Karuta or something else. For him to be strong, I think, he needs to find some success that he can call his own, with or without them. But it is damaging for him to keep losing to Arata like this. If he were my friend i would be concerned about his relationship with the other two.

I would be very pleased if he somehow came out on top and hope I am wrong.
Mar 9, 2020 1:27 PM

Mar 2012
chiakimagoto said:
Yes. It's been so good in such a compelling way.....

I think I'll let Sensei puzzle out the ending cause I'm lost. Tbh sometimes I want Taichi to end up with Chihaya and sometimes I don't know. I definitely think Chihaya has to do some serious growing up on her side as well. She leans way too much on Taichi's presence and only now is starting to feel jittery cause he's sort of starting to be out of her reach. She takes it very much for granted that he always is there.

It's definitely only a part of what made me love this story....there is so much more to it than that...well I hope to see more of you for these last 3 episodes.
I'll be here. Things really picked up once Arata confessed. I think people that want Taichi to quit aren't seeing the bigger picture here. Like you said, it's not about winning Chihaya's love anymore for Taichi. It's a personal journey to become a better person and beat Arata in karuta fair and square.

Gab5 said:

See, I don't think the point is winning the girl. I don't think they are right for each other. Chihaya shrinks at Taichi's mother and he has NOT fought for her enough on that front. He needs someone more like Sumire who is trying to understand him. Not that I'm rooting for Sumire but I'm not rooting for Chihaya and Taichi as a couple.

Taichi needs to grow up and see past Chihaya and I think he will. She got him into karuta but he has stuck around because of how it's shaping him as a person. He has a lot to prove to himself even before trying to prove anything to Chihaya or Arata. In fact, this competing for Chihaya's love is what is screwing things up for him. I'm sure now that he knows about Arata's confession, he will finally fess up too but manage to screw himself somehow. As I've said before, I don't think he's destined for Chihaya but that doesn't mean by any means he "lost" to Arata. Chiyaha isn't some prize to be won here. So who cares if Arata screws up concerning Chihaya? That has nothing to do with Taichi. Right now, Taichi's own decision for Taichi is what he should be concerned about.

The love triangle isn't over because Chihaya has made no choice to end this triangle she doesn't even know she is in. She hasn't made a decision because that's not the point of the series. If she wins love along the way, fine, but it's not about that. It's about these 3 teenagers figuring out life while trying to be competitive in their favorite sport.

Maybe the thing to work out isn't a love triangle but patching up and fortifying a fractured 3 way friendship because right now, three's a crowd.
MetaKiteMar 9, 2020 1:32 PM
Mar 9, 2020 11:30 PM

Oct 2012
Yes that's probably what it will be all about in the end.... about their friendship.

I also think indeed that Chihaya isn't aware at all of the triangle....and isn't on the romance page at all...

As long as Chihaya doesn't see Taichi as he sees her, I don't think they ever will be right for eachother... Chihaya needs to find out about her true feelings first. She has already made a big step wanting to be a teacher to become a karuta advisor....so she is working on her own future path in her own way.
Mar 10, 2020 7:12 AM

Mar 2012
chiakimagoto said:
Yes that's probably what it will be all about in the end.... about their friendship.

I also think indeed that Chihaya isn't aware at all of the triangle....and isn't on the romance page at all...

As long as Chihaya doesn't see Taichi as he sees her, I don't think they ever will be right for eachother... Chihaya needs to find out about her true feelings first. She has already made a big step wanting to be a teacher to become a karuta advisor....so she is working on her own future path in her own way.
As they are right now, they aren't right for each other. But Chihaya keeps expecting Taichi to be around for her. I can't believe @Gab5 said that Taichi is a stalker (seriously, what are you smoking?) when it's Chihaya demanding him to be there at all times for ehr convenience. I won't rememebr which youtube anime reactor said it during the 2nd season but he said that it seems Taichi is at his best when Chihaya isn't around and I agree. Take her out of the picture and he does alright for himself.

Chihaya likely won't even think about romance and really figure things out until 1) both Arata and Taichi have made their feelings clear to her and B) She fulfills her dream to be queen and can focus time and energy elsewhere like in a potential boyfriend. I don't see that happening unless she has already become queen. I'm not expecting this love triangle she's unaware of to end any time soon.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

19 by NiQ1 »»
Mar 21, 2:01 AM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2019

105 by Katsu-kun »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.