Forum Settings
Forums

Coronavirus..... anime industry overreacting too much?

New
Mar 9, 2020 5:30 AM
Mar 2019
Re:Zero was delayed thanks to nothing but the sniffles. How come other spring anime aren't delayed? What gives? Is there really anything to delay? I think it's all an unnecessary overreaction. What do you all think?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 9, 2020 5:35 AM

Mar 2015
I think it's better to take countermeasures asap than end up with an office full of sick people. Sure anime being delayed sucks but it's better than it being fully canceled because the animators are lying sick in bed.
Mar 9, 2020 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
Japanese are rightfully overreacting because they have Tokyo Olympics on stake. My friend had to cancel her trip to Japan because they canceled/closed everything, all museums, conventions, etc. You go there - you’ll be basically walking on the empty streets.

Aug 2018
It's not only the anime industry that is overreacting. I remember when SARS, mad cow disease and Ebola were being hyped up in a similar fashion.

Jun 2014
If you're asking why in particular Re:Zero was delayed, I have no clue, but if you're talking about the general reaction to the coronavirus, it's hard to say as of now.

Keep in mind Japan is under a huge amount of pressure to have the situation perfectly under control by May or something, or else the 2020 Olympics may have to be cancelled, which would be a huge loss obviously.
And whether it will be an over/under-reaction in the end, that's to be determined in retrospect. "Better safe than sorry" is the usual mindset.
Mar 9, 2020 5:38 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Well, everyone is overreacting. Just in general.

But maybe people can use the delays to not watch stuff purely seasonally. Go back to the ancient history of anime. Like maybe one or two will get adventurous and go back to the far off year of 2009 -_-

So I'm not opposed. I also don't give a shit about Re:Zero. That might help.

Mar 9, 2020 5:41 AM

Feb 2020
i don't really know what to think about this whole Corona shit anyway.
it gets fucking annoying and frustrating, almost everyone is scared.
day after day more infected and even more dead people.
the economy drops more and more.

first they say it's not more dangerous as a normal flu, and now this.

i have simply enough of this.
Mar 9, 2020 5:44 AM

Jan 2011
I wouldn't know, I'm not a virologist.
Mar 9, 2020 5:45 AM

Jul 2016
animu007 said:
i don't really know what to think about this whole Corona shit anyway.
it gets fucking annoying and frustrating, almost everyone is scared.
day after day more infected and even more dead people.
the economy drops more and more.

first they say it's not more dangerous as a normal flu, and now this.

i have simply enough of this.

I agree people are overreacting.Corona this,corona that you can´t escape it in any conversation.It affects old people the most anyways,so why is everyone panicking?
Mar 9, 2020 5:48 AM

Jan 2009
err what if the delay is because of production schedule issues? since a lot of outsourcing of anime production is done on countries like China and South Korea that are heavily infected by the coronavirus too
Mar 9, 2020 6:08 AM

Jun 2019
I think as someone mentioned above, we'll discover how right or wrong we were to panic in time to come, with hindsight.

At the moment no one, apart from experts in the field, can accurately predict whether all the action currently being taken will prevent a full blown pandemic, which make no mistake would have huge worldwide implications, not just on anime production.

As someone else said above, why not take this time to watch an old anime show, something different.
Mar 9, 2020 6:13 AM

May 2016
Re:zero won’t be the only anime delayed. I will not be surprised when more spring shows get postponed.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Mar 9, 2020 6:13 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty much everyone else is as well but better be safe than sorry in these cases. Also like others have pointed out Japan also gotta think about the olympics and with everything that has been invested in that plus the risk for human life what even is 2 or 3 tv shows being delayed?

@Manaban happy to see you back, your presence has been thoroughly missed

JoyBoy_316Mar 9, 2020 6:20 AM
Mar 9, 2020 6:17 AM

Feb 2015
They're putting human lives before animating a cartoon. Seems like it'd be the right thing to do, but maybe that's just me.
Mar 9, 2020 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
err what if the delay is because of production schedule issues? since a lot of outsourcing of anime production is done on countries like China and South Korea that are heavily infected by the coronavirus too
This is a more likely reason than them delaying due to precautionary measures. It can't be helped if production schedules are affected.
Mar 9, 2020 6:20 AM

Jan 2009
Some egotistical **** you are if you think the covid19 is only about infected "old people" being young is not an excuse for being a massive ignorant.

The issue here is not about virology, not even about epidemiology, though I have to say we're facing SERIOUS dilemmas pertaining the core concepts of "epidemiological intervention" these days but that's beside the problem, the investors are afraid to spend any money and the market is contracting, I don't remember the WHO telling the investors not to inject money in the economy, they are doing that on their own and for their own selfish reasons, (alright calling it selfish but hey, they just don't want to lose money, so I'd rather say smart here) which in turn affects everyone, looking at the problem from that perspective of yours is inane man, don't go putting anime fans to shame like that.
Mar 9, 2020 6:33 AM

Jan 2018
It's pretty sad to see this thread, people might die because of it and you think it's overreacting. Seems like people's life that's not your family is of no concern to you.
Mar 9, 2020 6:36 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think they're overreacting,better safe than sorry. If you really miss the show that much if you were one of those people who waited three or four years for season 2, take this as a chance to rewatch the show if you haven't already. You could also watch other shows, I would recommend Hunter x Hunter 2011 if you like shounen anime. I would also recommend Death Note if you haven't seen it already.
Mar 9, 2020 6:48 AM

Nov 2011
Fucking weebs cares more about their cartoons than human lives.

Mar 9, 2020 7:11 AM

Sep 2014
Kaiser-chan said:

I do. For decades they told us that the humans are overpopulating the world in a dangerous way and now that something happen to clean part of the overpopulation, now it's another problem. At this point I just don't care anymore. Someone please tell me when 1 billion people were dying, up until then I won't care if people die. It's not like if dying didn't happen before, or that it is the only epidemic disease in the world right now.
Mar 9, 2020 7:12 AM

Dec 2018
hazecloud said:
It's pretty sad to see this thread, people might die because of it and you think it's overreacting. Seems like people's life that's not your family is of no concern to you.

This. A couple of the comments here make me sick.

“Who cares if people around the world are dying where’s my animu?!?!?”

Smfh.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 9, 2020 7:14 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I'm not complaining if theres no olympics since thats probably a major factor in the rise of censorship, but it sucks some shows are being delayed :/
Mar 9, 2020 7:18 AM

Nov 2011
Hrybami said:
Kaiser-chan said:

I do. For decades they told us that the humans are overpopulating the world in a dangerous way and now that something happen to clean part of the overpopulation, now it's another problem. At this point I just don't care anymore. Someone please tell me when 1 billion people were dying, up until then I won't care if people die. It's not like if dying didn't happen before, or that it is the only epidemic disease in the world right now.

Easy to say that when you don't include yourself or your family in those death.

Mar 9, 2020 7:26 AM

Sep 2014
Kaiser-chan said:
Hrybami said:

I could die today and it won't change anything. It's not the end of the world. People die everyday since forever and nothing has ever stopped humanity to develop its culture. The world is overpopulated anyway. The mankind is totally not threatened right now.
Mar 9, 2020 7:26 AM

Nov 2010
I have heard that anime industry struggles with getting Chinese and Korean subcontractors to work on series due to corona virus and travel bans. For example both Japan and Korea put travel bans on each other, you get two weeks quarantine if you try to go from Korea to Japan. This makes business making between Japanese anime studios and Korean/Chinese animation studios hard.

I have also heard that hardships of with subcontractors has already led to animation quality drops with some series, but I'm not sure if this is speculation though.

In other hand if someone in ur work place gets corona and they have visited the work place while infected whole work place or big part of it will be in home quarantine as well. They just closed 500 students school in my country cause one of teachers had corona. So anime series can be quickly out of staff for 2 weeks within Japan as well.
Mar 9, 2020 7:29 AM

Aug 2018
Hokage_Jason said:
hazecloud said:

Smfh.

Most people aren't saying anything like that so maybe you should climb down from your ivory tower.
Mar 9, 2020 7:29 AM

Feb 2020
Hrybami said:
Kaiser-chan said:

I could die today and it won't change anything. It's not the end of the world. People die everyday since forever and nothing has ever stopped humanity to develop its culture. The world is overpopulated anyway. The mankind is totally not threatened right now.

still you don't have to be so misanthropic.
a little bit more empathy doesn't hurt.
Mar 9, 2020 7:32 AM

Jul 2016
To follow onto my last statement-Really don´t care if anime gets delayed because of safety measures being implemented but insane fearmongering from the public won´t solve anything.
Mar 9, 2020 7:32 AM

Apr 2016
Their health most definitely takes priority over their work. Putting things on delay for a few weeks and staying free of the virus beats acquiring the virus and having to delay things for an entire month or longer due to being ill or unable to work.
Mar 9, 2020 7:37 AM
Jan 2018
EdgeoftheLords said:
Re:Zero was delayed thanks to nothing but the sniffles. How come other spring anime aren't delayed? What gives? Is there really anything to delay? I think it's all an unnecessary overreaction. What do you all think?

Imagine being so insensitive to a pandemic because you can't watch your above average anime.
Isn't Re:Zero the only show of Spring 2020 to confirm to be 2-cour? They don't want the production to be a disaster due to Coronavirus.
Mar 9, 2020 7:45 AM

Jul 2014
Considering that the Spanish flu of 1918 killed more people than World War 1 and the Spanish flu had a fatality rate of 3% (Corona virus is ~2%), i would say that this isn't an overreaction at all.

It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with the Spanish flu. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide. Modern transportation systems makes it easier for soldiers, sailors, and civilian travelers to spread the disease.
Mar 9, 2020 7:49 AM
Nov 2018
KomaDoll said:
I have heard that anime industry struggles with getting Chinese and Korean subcontractors to work on series due to corona virus and travel bans. For example both Japan and Korea put travel bans on each other, you get two weeks quarantine if you try to go from Korea to Japan. This makes business making between Japanese anime studios and Korean/Chinese animation studios hard.

I have also heard that hardships of with subcontractors has already led to animation quality drops with some series, but I'm not sure if this is speculation though.

In other hand if someone in ur work place gets corona and they have visited the work place while infected whole work place or big part of it will be in home quarantine as well. They just closed 500 students school in my country cause one of teachers had corona. So anime series can be quickly out of staff for 2 weeks within Japan as well.

And how is it with Vietnamese subcontractors?
Mar 9, 2020 7:55 AM

Jul 2014
It has become impossible for subcontractors to ship their work to Japan.

Japanese government has terminated all visa-free travel from Korea and China and have also cancelled all issued visa, due to the coronavirus. Korean government deemed such restriction unacceptable and decided to reciprocate Japan's measure as retaliation, thus banning all visa-free travel from Japan and also ceased effectiveness of all visa issued to Japan, virtually halting all travels between Japan and Korea. (And because Chinese cities like Shanghai have already started quarantining all travellers from Japan, the situation between Japan and China is also similar)

Because overseas subcontracted works of anime are delivered back to Japan by letting some personnel fly to respective countries to pick up those works and them carry them back to Japan, when international passenger travels are interrupted, it will also be impossible for such delivery system to continue.

Japan is behind in some places, e.g. fax machines remain essential tools for doing business. If you have watched Shirobako anime, you'd know that the anime studios have to deliver episodes to the TV stations as physical tapes until only recently.
Mar 9, 2020 8:04 AM
Nov 2018
TodAboT said:
EdgeoftheLords said:

Imagine being so insensitive to a pandemic because you can't watch your above average anime.
Isn't Re:Zero the only show of Spring 2020 to confirm to be 2-cour? They don't want the production to be a disaster due to Coronavirus.

And White Fox had production issues with Cautious Hero and has outsourced a lot of their work to Korea and maybe China, so it's understandable
Mar 9, 2020 8:04 AM
Feb 2019
Kaiser-chan said:

Agreed. Come on people, anime is only entertainment. You have to be a piece of sh*t to be mad because your precious escape is delayed.
Mar 9, 2020 8:22 AM

Dec 2018
epidemia78 said:
Hokage_Jason said:

Smfh.

Most people aren't saying anything like that so maybe you should climb down from your ivory tower.

Naw there are people saying pretty much exactly this lol.
Lolicons are scum.
Mar 9, 2020 8:34 AM

Nov 2016
Hokage_Jason said:

I saw only one other guy and OP insinuating that their animes were more important that the lives at stake who are you talking about?
Mar 9, 2020 8:41 AM

Jun 2017
Yeah, I see some great anime discussion here

And OP, you're just overreacting about 2nd season of Re:Zero; Just wait 3 more months and you get your favorite shit. What will happen if you wait more for it? You will die due to Coronavirus or something?!
Mar 9, 2020 8:44 AM

Jan 2018
"To nothing but the sniffles"

Absolute bruh comment. While mass media has been overreacting to it, you should still take it seriously.
What a beautiful Duwang
Mar 9, 2020 8:45 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
hazecloud said:

This isn't true, my family's life isn't of concern to me either

Mar 9, 2020 8:55 AM

Sep 2018
Prevention is more important than anything, we will never know if it truly is "overreacting" cause we don't how it wouldve spread without all those extra steps.

The Virus wont be the extinction of Humanity, but it is deadly especially
to the ones from older generations.

Delaying a stupid fictional cartoon or maybe save lives. I know nothing about the economic outcome of this, if the Studio does not loose much money its a even greater reason to delay it.
Mar 9, 2020 8:59 AM
Apr 2016
Japanese government is underreacting and is threatening a third of the population with a possible terminal illness.

With how complacent people are in the face of this new, mutating and yet to be researched virus, the spread is bound to continue with each new handshake reaching twice as many people. A simple outbreak scenario which no one managed to properly respond to. I will retain my commentary on this precise issue with a series delay, but by saying "overreacting" you are making a mistake which might cost someone their relatives, in the long run.

Oh yeah I hope Olympic games go up in flames. Beautiful blue flames, along with the government pushing for it.
epidemia78 said:
It's not only the anime industry that is overreacting. I remember when SARS, mad cow disease and Ebola were being hyped up in a similar fashion.

Here we have another scenario - the virus is harder to detect, and is contagious even before it is detectable. This is a perfect pandemic strain. While it might not be as vicious as its predecessors, the way it can spread to MOST of the planet population (while decimating the elderly and weak-bodied people) it will become the next black plague unless contained with definite, serious measures.
Daniel_NaumovMar 9, 2020 9:03 AM
Re:formed
Mar 9, 2020 9:06 AM

Dec 2018
TodAboT said:
EdgeoftheLords said:

We’re talking about Re:Zero here, don’t you mean below average anime?
Lolicons are scum.
Mar 9, 2020 9:09 AM

Dec 2018
JoyBoy_316 said:
Hokage_Jason said:

I saw only one other guy and OP insinuating that their animes were more important that the lives at stake who are you talking about?

I saw at least four at the time I posted that, but one has since been deleted I believe. There’s still multiple though.

I wasn’t implying everyone here said/thought that, to quote myself exactly I said “a couple of the comments”, which could be as few as 2.
Lolicons are scum.
Mar 9, 2020 9:17 AM
Aug 2019
The only thing we can do is to prevent it
Mar 9, 2020 9:20 AM

May 2016
Hokage_Jason said:
TodAboT said:

We’re talking about Re:Zero here, don’t you mean below average anime?
Advent children, Naruto, Dragonball as favorites have the nerve to talk about re:zero being below average... Chile Anyways.

TeamDalaiLanaMar 9, 2020 9:23 AM
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Mar 9, 2020 9:20 AM

Jul 2017
A lot of studios outsource some of the work to China. Given how things are in China there is really nothing much the anime studios can do about it. The people that are overreacting are the ones who are buying 20 bottles and hand soap and 70 rolls of toilet paper.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Mar 9, 2020 9:23 AM

Nov 2016
It isn't over reacting - schools, public events, frequently visited buildings are closing worldwide so japans delays of anime is nothing to compare with what I mentioned
hiraishinxMar 9, 2020 11:40 AM
Mar 9, 2020 9:27 AM

Mar 2012
If you don't want to get Corona then be a NEET. No contact = no virus.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 9, 2020 9:28 AM

Jul 2016
Fakegoose said:
A lot of studios outsource some of the work to China. Given how things are in China there is really nothing much the anime studios can do about it. The people that are overreacting are the ones who are buying 20 bottles and hand soap and 70 rolls of toilet paper.

Ikr?Perfectly healthy individuals are shortening the supply for the people who actually need those things.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Characters born on the same day/month as you ?

Yonahim_Zz - 4 hours ago

16 by DigiCat »»
11 minutes ago

» Would you allow an anime robot resembling an attractive human female to take your virginity?

TsutanaiFuun - 7 hours ago

35 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days? ( 1 2 )

anizawa89 - May 10

63 by Nurguburu »»
21 minutes ago

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

23 by BitChilly »»
33 minutes ago

» Hidden Gems of Spring 2024

ForgotEyeWasHere - May 11

31 by BitChilly »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.