Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 8, 2020 10:02 PM

Aug 2018
First Episode looks interested and the opening is Fire 🔥
SaiDxvLightFeb 5, 2020 1:56 PM
Jan 8, 2020 10:24 PM

Mar 2019
I think a 3 is a very good score and more than enough for this episode...

PS: i give it 2 more episodes to drop it...

Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jan 8, 2020 10:44 PM

Sep 2014
It seems like a mediocre adaption of a mediocre 90s anime. Probably gonna drop this show.
Jan 8, 2020 10:54 PM

Feb 2019
Nothing really spectacular going on here. I feel like it may have potential, but honestly was a very meh start to a series that I remember fondly as a kid. Idk maybe y'all had a different reaction, but I just felt it wasn't good, wasn't bad, it just was.
Jan 9, 2020 12:47 AM

Aug 2018
Awesome start for an anime. Really love the first episode.

The animation is pretty good, didn't expect from this show. Orphan has a good character and the girl cleao is cute too. Compared with other anime and isekai shit this one looks a little better. I get adventure vibe from this anime.

Looking forward for the new episodes.
Jan 9, 2020 4:31 AM

Dec 2015
This is not a good anime. I don't really remember if I even watched the old 2nd season. I only added the first one to my list and I scored it by 7 though I guess if I re-watched this nowadays I'd score it lower.

Back then I didn't know a lot of other/better anime. And we didn't have newer modern stuff. I saw the author of the source was also the one responsible for "Slayers" which I really hated (I watched some movie only I think) - boring stuff.

For fantasy I usually like these type of fantasy worlds. (A bit less action based magic would be better though. And less talking when having to use spells.) Though I prefer the political plot-focus a lot more (DenYuden, Alderamin, Madan no Ou to Vanadis) than the adventure-type of plot. Though there are some good ones that feel more like adventuring. (Goblin Slayer was great.)

Here the problem is that it feels outdated in the way it is set up ... already that cheap slapstick comedy. Plot also does not seem too promising. And I don't like that mix of modern stuff mixed into the fantasy world. (Police girl and the clothes of the main at the end ... looked to modern.)

So ... I'm not going to watch this. Still giving a 6/10 and dropping. (Usually I watch only stuff where I ad least expect it to be able to become 8/10 for me ... though some turn out to be 7 or even 6 at the end. 6 as expectation after episode 1 - I doubt it will get a lot better - is too low for me. Though I like the younger noble sister girl.)
Jan 9, 2020 6:22 AM

May 2018
Wait, am I misreading this? Orphen is back??!!!

BUT, the opening song is shit and Orphen sounds far too much like Shikamaru
Jan 9, 2020 8:36 AM
Mar 2018
I don't understand why this is getting such negative reception. Yeah, it's not overly ambitious, seems like typical fantasy shounen, but that's not something bad in itself. It doesn't have to be very creative to be good. It all depends on execution. And it has all the potential to be a really good show.
malinoski554Jan 9, 2020 9:54 AM
Jan 9, 2020 8:42 AM
Mar 2018
One thing I really adore about this show are the visuals. It's really beautiful and very atmospheric. I very much like the oldschool style. It really feels like something from the 90s but with modern quality. Nostalgia hits really hard, even tough I didn't watch the original, nor did I grow up watching classic anime. They did a really great job in that regard.
Jan 9, 2020 11:27 AM
Sep 2014
Guys i have a question , Should I watch the old versions to follow the new one ??
Jan 9, 2020 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
AbdulRahmanTayeb said:
Guys i have a question , Should I watch the old versions to follow the new one ??

I would like to know too
Jan 9, 2020 2:14 PM

May 2009
AbdulRahmanTayeb said:
Kogganuth said:
I would like to know too

It's new adaptation from the beginning.
Jan 9, 2020 2:17 PM

Dec 2016
AbdulRahmanTayeb said:

No, since this is a remake. I do recommend watching the old version though for a different type of experience. This one looks kind of too clean for a show with a D&D vibe. The older version captured that feel better with the grittier and gloomier artstyle.
Jan 9, 2020 2:19 PM
Sep 2014
bastek66 said:
AbdulRahmanTayeb said:
Kogganuth said:
I would like to know too

It's new adaptation from the beginning.

Ferien said:
AbdulRahmanTayeb said:

No, since this is a remake. I do recommend watching the old version though for a different type of experience. This one looks kind of too clean for a show with a D&D vibe. The older version captured that feel better with the grittier and gloomier artstyle.

Thank you very much 👍🏻
Jan 9, 2020 6:32 PM
Jan 2008
If you've watched the original Orphen anime and sequel way back in the day (I believe late 90s), then this will mostly fill that nostalgia level with a hint of a modern upgrade.

With that being said, could it have been a bit better? yeah, but it seems they are trying to keep it as true to the original as possible, after all, it is a 25 year anniversary reboot, so it's bound to have parts that don't make sense, are a bit slapstick and downright out of time...

...but compared to the original, it is infinitely better but that is just my personal opinion of just this one episode so far... who knows if I'll change my mind as the story continues... I will wait for a few more episodes to be out, and binge watch the original for the next couple of weeks, to better enjoy it
watch anime because you like it!
Jan 9, 2020 8:59 PM

Jan 2018
...am I the only one who got annoyed at how he keeps blocking those attacks on the dragon? Oh, just me? Ok.

hell is other people
Jan 10, 2020 10:47 AM

Dec 2014
Well let's see how it goes
Jan 10, 2020 3:00 PM

Jun 2013
Nothing outstanding, but perfectly solid start, will continue for sure!
Jan 10, 2020 3:53 PM

Feb 2018
Look like the art style is bad.
Jan 10, 2020 5:04 PM

Sep 2018
Oh!! They make a reboot of this series! I watched this anime when I was in grade 5! I still remember Orphen and Cleao, they are one of my OTP (I'm glad to know they're canon) Orphen looks so young here, I remember him more manlier in older version but still handsome xD he's one of my crushes. They make differences but I hope it will be good.
Jan 10, 2020 6:46 PM

Aug 2017
Haven't seen the original anime but heard it was great. So far this is good, i don't have any problems with regard to the animation unlike what others said. I like the vibe. Looking forward for Orphen and his sister reunion.

Jan 11, 2020 5:30 AM

Mar 2017
Poor animation and scattered direction. Not a good introductory episode at all, really. It's a shame, because I can tell it has quite a bit of potential. I haven't seen the source material, but it feels like it's rushed and missing something because of it.
Jan 11, 2020 1:15 PM

Nov 2015
90's look brings nostalgia but the animation per se is awful in some scenens. plot seems very generic and OST was terrible wtf

2/5
Jan 11, 2020 3:29 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
iAmAileenCom said:
...am I the only one who got annoyed at how he keeps blocking those attacks on the dragon? Oh, just me? Ok.

I think it's hilarious XD
Jan 11, 2020 4:26 PM
Mar 2012
Fight was decent for deen.
Cool mc design.
Don't really need the cringey events with dwarves/kids.
Kinda funny. But what's with the 90s disco & weird osts?
Jan 11, 2020 5:39 PM

Aug 2018
I was positively surprised by the soundtrack (opening scene and last scene) !
This first episode left me a good impression, at least for someone who hasn't watched the original serie. It seems that the global pace will be a funny one with a not-so-heroic protagonist. We shall see how it goes
Jan 12, 2020 1:05 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
dragynfaerie said:
I liked it. My only problem is I kept "seeing" Makashima from Yowapeda or Shikamaru everytime Orphen opened his mouth. I kept waiting for him to say something was mendo. I don't think I've ever heard that seiyuu voice a main character. It's gonna take some getting use to.
Byniavo said:
Wait, am I misreading this? Orphen is back??!!!

BUT, the opening song is shit and Orphen sounds far too much like Shikamaru

Scootboi said:
All I hear is Kirisame Zero.

"You're 1000 years too early to face the dragon!"

Yikes as hell for me. Could be a fun anime. But damn.

Cheesy choice for a VA.

lol!

Showtaro Morikubo was actually Orphen's original VA from the 98-99 series as well. Everyone else changed, but I guess as a nice thing for the fans, they bought back the original guy. :D

I think more of Shikamaru from Naruto, but the character types are pretty different so the tone of voice is not so similar. lol oh and Makishima from yowamushi pedal (I didn't know that I just discovered this when I looked it up)...

but definitely, orphen came before ALL of those characters, so, it's more like they all sound like orphen! lol
quercifoliaJan 12, 2020 1:10 AM

Jan 12, 2020 1:10 AM

Jan 2010
For me this has 2 problems.
First is that i have the original series DVD and second is that i´m a sucker for that, let´s say, 1994 to 2003 animation style, things like Eva, Bebop, the OG Orphen, etc. So if i watched it (like i did for some minutes) i´ll just end up comparing it with the og and that will be a sad time.
RamaTheStrandedOtaku

Nier and MGS fan.
Jan 12, 2020 3:55 AM
Nov 2019
Was it just me or was it very bland & generic?

I'll give it 2 more Ep. before i decide if it's a drop from me.
Jan 12, 2020 8:12 AM

Jul 2016
Smelled like an older shounen series. I picked up the remade manga before even knowing that their was an anime remake in the works nor that it was a remake in the first place and liked the first volume. So far, my favorite thing about the anime are the characters. They seem entertaining.
Last year featured some amazing remakes. At this point, I feel like this anime won't be like them, but I'd give it a chance for a few more episodes.
Jan 12, 2020 2:45 PM

Jul 2014
It being a tad bit bland and generic is probably because this is an OLD show!
I liked it tho, guess tastes really varies. I like the old generic theme this puts unlike the new ones that tries to mimic em. But all I hear is Goro's tone in the MC.
Jan 13, 2020 3:28 PM

Apr 2017
Idk what to say for now, but the OST is kinda chill, I like it.

Everytime the MC talks I can't stop thinking about Sugita and Nakamura trying to imitate Morikubo fml
Jan 14, 2020 12:22 PM

Oct 2011
hype hype! just so much potential in this series. it's following the novels so far qwq

Jan 14, 2020 12:37 PM

Feb 2017
The first episode was good and the second is better. My favorite animes are Orphen (1998) and Shaman King.
Really like the 90 art style, the opening is fine and the ending is the only thing don't like it (special the cgi part).

Wait for the gore/nude/adult scenes still's be there, and the romance too, but sure they remove
a lot of that because in this decade they like to remove all the good stuff because people is more sensitive/tender.
Jan 14, 2020 2:23 PM

Oct 2017
Looks promising.
The MC seems cool, and that second daughter is a waifu.
Jan 17, 2020 3:47 AM

Mar 2016
Oh man, I can’t stand this show. I love the ‘98 adaptation but this is putrid in comparison. The budget, presentation, and atmosphere are so... lifeless. The original felt like a legit fantasy world with dark themes. This is too brightly lit, and why does Orphen always look cross eyed? I don’t know if it’s supposed to be closer to the manga or what, but I don’t know who in their right mind would think this was well animated after seeing the opening of the ‘98 anime. Plus, the OP song for this new one is far too ‘pop’.

If they can’t even match the quality of the original, I don’t know why they even bother. Do yourself a favor and see Orphen the way it was supposed to be seen.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jan 19, 2020 8:08 AM
Feb 2010
Mediocrity at it's finest. It's really a miracle that they can ruin a show this badly, in fact why did it need a remake in the first place? The original was no classic by any means, but it had the classic 90s aesthetic, an MC that isn't a braindead moron, and the pacing and character introduction had viewer intelligence in mind.

Meanwhile this asterisk war wannabe throws over 6 characters at you in the first 2 minutes, starting with a scene that was in episode 7 in the original anime. Not to mention that the comedic tropes and silly gags are overblown to no end for no reason other than to appeal to an audience with a short attention span.

To anyone rating this higher at a four, you really need to ask yourself if you have really accepted mediocrity as your baseline of quality.

Jan 20, 2020 1:55 AM

Nov 2012
quercifolia said:

lol!

Showtaro Morikubo was actually Orphen's original VA from the 98-99 series as well. Everyone else changed, but I guess as a nice thing for the fans, they bought back the original guy. :D

I think more of Shikamaru from Naruto, but the character types are pretty different so the tone of voice is not so similar. lol oh and Makishima from yowamushi pedal (I didn't know that I just discovered this when I looked it up)...

but definitely, orphen came before ALL of those characters, so, it's more like they all sound like orphen! lol

Oh I guess so. lol
I haven't seen the original. I plan on watching it this week.
Jan 21, 2020 1:37 PM

Jun 2019
Just started this series following the drop of the dub version. That first episode was epic. I haven't such a fast paced, well executed opening episode for a while.

Really looking forward to the next episode & getting to know more about these characters, scamming dwarfs & sorcerers sound fascinating.

@Aggnog we must have completely opposite tastes, as I would rate that a 9/10 as far as opening episodes go. I liked the character design, the world setting, the magic system, the style of dialogue, the narrator (just a bit of helpful background info but not too much exposition) & dramatic fast pacing. I didn't know of the existence of the original until reading your post. Maybe this version doesn't stand up well after watching the original, but I really, really liked it.
23feanorJan 21, 2020 1:41 PM
Jan 21, 2020 2:11 PM
Feb 2010
@23Feanor Having different taste is fine but at least be consistent. By your own words rating this a 9/10 would mean that it is of equivalent quality to other 9/10 shows that you have rated, which include Fullmetal Alchemist, Gintama, Little Witch Academia, One punch man S1 and others.

I don't think it's far fetched to say that comparing any of those shows with this one would put it a pretty disadvantaged position.

Then again you did do the same with Eromanga-sensei, leading to my conclusion that these ratings really don't mean anything to you. And let me remind you that the scale is from 1 to 10, not from 6-7 to 10 like most people seem to think.

In any case I'm not here to start a war that can't be won. I would really just like people who think this is a good show to watch the original and if they can't understand the difference then may we all pray for the future.
Jan 21, 2020 11:22 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
dragynfaerie said:
quercifolia said:

lol!

Oh I guess so. lol
I haven't seen the original. I plan on watching it this week.

I do recommend it-- whilst I enjoy this new adaption, the original has a certain charm that the new version, thus far, doesn't quite have.

Though, you may get confused storywise if you watch both, from what I understand the original had a LOT of changes to fit into one cour. And then they made the anime original season 02!

This is also one of the few shows I like the dub better than the sub, lol. But it's up to you as to which you prefer.

Jan 22, 2020 6:19 AM

Jun 2008
I have so much nostalgia for the original. I'm really interested to see where this goes!

Though, the theme song sucks. "Kimi wa Majutsushi" was my jam back in the day.
Feb 11, 2020 8:17 PM

Nov 2008
Aggnog said:
in fact why did it need a remake in the first place?

Because the story was not told the way the author wanted to tell it in the first anime, dur.

Meanwhile this asterisk war wannabe throws over 6 characters at you in the first 2 minutes

It throws the same six characters at you in the first manga/novel chapter as well.

Not to mention that the comedic tropes and silly gags are overblown to no end for no reason other than to appeal to an audience with a short attention span.

Again, the novel and manga BOTH DO THIS.

To anyone rating this higher at a four, you really need to ask yourself if you have really accepted mediocrity as your baseline of quality.

Lol please. Entertainment is subjective. It's not mediocre "because you said so" so don't act like some pretentious film student who knows it all.

Feb 20, 2020 12:04 PM
Feb 2010
Both the manga and novel are 20years old and haven't been relevant for those 20 years. With no other works I don't think the original author had enough pull to get a second anime out of his work.

This could have been a good dororo story but it's just no where near that level. And me saying so has nothing to do with it, you can see it in the ratings which as useless as they are on this website at least have some meaning when they are that low.
Feb 22, 2020 7:23 AM
Jul 2016
Aggnog said:
Mediocrity at it's finest. It's really a miracle that they can ruin a show this badly, in fact why did it need a remake in the first place? The original was no classic by any means, but it had the classic 90s aesthetic, an MC that isn't a braindead moron, and the pacing and character introduction had viewer intelligence in mind.

Meanwhile this asterisk war wannabe throws over 6 characters at you in the first 2 minutes, starting with a scene that was in episode 7 in the original anime. Not to mention that the comedic tropes and silly gags are overblown to no end for no reason other than to appeal to an audience with a short attention span.

you're making me laugh so hard lmao
Apr 6, 2020 1:57 AM

Aug 2017
It is quite evident that the source material is old but the problem is that I don't care about the main conflict and those brats are very annoying.

I'm just going to say that Orphen is fucking HOT.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 13, 2021 11:33 PM

Jul 2015
This remake sure starts different compared to the old adaptation which I quite frankly like considering so far we get more information that wasn't shown there. Although not as gritty and gloomy as the old one, the animation looks good. Its really nice they managed to get Orphen's voice actor to reprise the voice

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2020

77 by fudish123 »»
Aug 2, 2023 9:41 AM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2020

44 by ZER0PT »»
Jun 12, 2023 6:19 AM

» Did they fuck up the remake?

RyuRabbit - Jan 21, 2021

4 by fudish123 »»
May 21, 2023 3:07 PM

» Why bad rate? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 8, 2020

94 by Scootboi »»
Jan 19, 2023 8:00 PM

» foster sister? mc going for revenge? let me guess

sondongpyo - Feb 27, 2022

1 by Diapolo10 »»
Feb 27, 2022 4:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.