Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Oct 20, 2019 6:57 PM

Mar 2009
Boy, it's been so long since I've read the manga. I'm amazed I somehow forgot about this very cruel part. Just a reminder that Askeladd and his men certainly aren't good people. They're your typical Vikings.

Brutal, but great episode.
Oct 21, 2019 6:21 AM

Mar 2014
This was their way of life. Raid and pillage. Kill, rape, enslave. Die and enter Valhalla.
Oct 21, 2019 8:25 AM

Jun 2017
Damn, what a massacre, they would've died either way, they were not going to survive the winter, but still, geez, the civilians were massacred.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Oct 21, 2019 3:14 PM

Mar 2014
I think this episode was probably my favorite to date. It was beautifully, heart-wrenchingly executed. The author did a great job showing this massacre with the goal of survival from the POV of the innocent civilians. It made it more introspective and depressing, because that's how you are able to empathize with them and contemplate on the morality, necessity and cruelty of this act. Depriving innocents of their lives was brutal, depressing and extremely unfair, but given the circumstances, it was also a way of ensuring the civilians won't inform others of their presence, and survive through the winter. This village just happened to be on the way.

I also liked Anne's monologue in the end. The way I understood it, witnessing this tragic incident made her aware that there are people out there who do way more evil things than stealing a ring, without fearing god's punishment. I am interested in seeing whether she survived, and whether she'll foil their plans. I also want to see Canute's reaction to this.
Oct 22, 2019 6:45 AM
Jan 2016
All I can say is this eps is pure crazy...yeah, crazy eps.
Oct 22, 2019 10:17 AM

Mar 2019
One of my favorite episodes so far, good adaptation as far as i remember. Good reminder that Askeladd is still a bad mf.
Oct 28, 2019 9:15 PM
Dec 2018
This episode is much more about what is at the heart of this series, not the senseless violence and "badass" characters, it goes much deeper than that.
Oct 28, 2019 9:32 PM
Dec 2018
JolteonRL said:
I feel like this is just a filler episode that has almost nothing to do with the main characters

Then you will not like this series, best leave now, cuz themes like this is at the heart of this series. Plenty of senseless shonen out there for you to go back to. Of course, there's plenty of action and war as well but there's also plenty of stuff like this.
Harlequina said:
RobinTheKing said:
this episode is a reminder to everyone that Askeladd and his people aren't good.

Wow, I came here to say the same pretty much. Episode 14 of Vinland Saga: A reminder for anyone that happened to forget that Askeladd and his bunch are pure shit. Some people might have genuinely forgotten that part.

I DESPISE them.

Askeladd is certainly what you would consider "evil" and while I certainly wouldn't say I like his character, he is certainly a good character for the story. He's not being an evil asshole just for the sake of being an evil asshole either, unlike so many other cartoonist characters, he's well aware that what he's doing is "evil" but he has a goal that he will gladly die for and everything he does has a purpose in reaching that goal.

Superns18 said:
Birdsanddrugs said:

Was Thorkell a Christian? Wasn't he a 100% Norse warrior who only loves fighting?

I meant Thors sorry

Thors is not a Christian. We don't really know what his beliefs are, or if he even really had any, but there's nothing to suggest that he's a Christian. If anything, his beliefs will be like all the other Norse, it's what he was raised into and he probably don't even know much about Christianity. He would also be against religious tribalism, which is pretty common in Christianity during those times.

His philosophy does not come from Christianity, it comes from his experiences in war, much like how his son's will.
Oct 31, 2019 1:46 AM
Jun 2019
Elucid said:
JolteonRL said:
I feel like this is just a filler episode that has almost nothing to do with the main characters
Nope, part of the manga

But still, this episode isnt that relevant to the story
Oct 31, 2019 1:49 AM

Jan 2019
JolteonRL said:
Elucid said:
Nope, part of the manga

But still, this episode isnt that relevant to the story

Um, yeah it does.
Have you watched the episode after this one? You're talking to a manga reader here.
This is why this anime is better experienced when binged.
Nov 2, 2019 12:36 PM

May 2019
err, you guys know that things exactly like this are still happening around the world, just while you are watching the episode, right?

And keeping the proportions, not so far from your homes as you think, since some families are slaughtered in some robbery even in developed countries.
Nov 2, 2019 1:13 PM

Oct 2013
Very sad, but realistic episode. I must express huge commendation to this show for showing vikings as they really were like, both their pros (fighting spirit) and cons (butchering and pillaging). By that maybe some people will finally learn that vikings were not as chivalry and "cool" as recent popcultural trend successfully tried to show them. Same goes with pirates, by the way.
Nov 3, 2019 3:23 AM

Feb 2019
Jim_White said:
JolteonRL said:

Then you will not like this series, best leave now, cuz themes like this is at the heart of this series. Plenty of senseless shonen out there for you to go back to. Of course, there's plenty of action and war as well but there's also plenty of stuff like this.
Harlequina said:

Wow, I came here to say the same pretty much. Episode 14 of Vinland Saga: A reminder for anyone that happened to forget that Askeladd and his bunch are pure shit. Some people might have genuinely forgotten that part.

I DESPISE them.

Askeladd is certainly what you would consider "evil" and while I certainly wouldn't say I like his character, he is certainly a good character for the story. He's not being an evil asshole just for the sake of being an evil asshole either, unlike so many other cartoonist characters, he's well aware that what he's doing is "evil" but he has a goal that he will gladly die for and everything he does has a purpose in reaching that goal.

Superns18 said:

I meant Thors sorry

Thors is not a Christian. We don't really know what his beliefs are, or if he even really had any, but there's nothing to suggest that he's a Christian. If anything, his beliefs will be like all the other Norse, it's what he was raised into and he probably don't even know much about Christianity. He would also be against religious tribalism, which is pretty common in Christianity during those times.

His philosophy does not come from Christianity, it comes from his experiences in war, much like how his son's will.

He was a christian, it's obvious. Read the manga and come back.
Nov 3, 2019 7:05 AM

May 2015
HAhaha..where is your god now??
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 5, 2019 9:08 PM

Jul 2013
Well that's just how these Nords live. Even those Brits they're the victim now but a couple of hundred years later they are the ones who will be killing and conquering all around the world. Times were tough back then.
Nov 7, 2019 10:27 AM

Aug 2009
That was not easy to watch.
Nov 8, 2019 2:21 AM

Nov 2013
I didn't like how the show forced us to realize or remind us that Askeladd is a villain. It's like, "you like the character and sympathize with him? you got used to him without hating him? You see him as a person instead of a monster? well here's a reason why you should not feel sad when our MC eventually kills his ass."
I mean, we already knew that Askeladd and his gang were brutal child-killers and rapists, but all of that was basically happening "behind the scenes". The episode was basically a reminder that we should not sympathize with these vikings and/or care when they get butchered rightfully for their sins.
Sigmar-UnberogenNov 8, 2019 2:27 AM
Nov 18, 2019 3:15 AM

Dec 2012
Damn the whole village got massacred.

Nov 19, 2019 12:34 AM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
TopgunUK said:
operationvalkyri said:
The scene in the blizzard was gruesome and beautiful at the same time.

Yes I noticed she says doki doki. What would the correct translation be? What mood is she in there?

She says her heart's pounding like it was when she took the ring.

Amazon decided she was really happy about her whole family being slaughtered for some reason.

Obviously up for interpretation, but I took it as "I feel alive". I feel my heart pounding like it did when I took the ring. In some morbid way she's relieved that her family may have reached that heaven that they talk about all the time. Maybe feeling relieved/elated she didn't go directly to hell? There are those living who are corrupted by sin, so she's no longer alone I guess; or in the very least, in comparison she can keep the ring I guess.
Nov 24, 2019 1:18 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I keep forgetting how messed up and savage Askeladd really is.
Nov 28, 2019 9:52 PM
Jul 2018
I've had a generally meh or mixed view of the first 12 episodes but man this one blew me away and episode 13 was interesting as well. Fantastic episode here. I hope this is a sign of more to come. Wow.
Dec 23, 2019 9:05 AM

Aug 2017
Ok, this episode was pretty disturbing despite that the gore was moderate. Felt like I was brought back to reality for a second.

5/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 25, 2019 10:53 AM

Dec 2016
nice ost but the axe scene felt off, and what was with all the shots of her lips?
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 5, 2020 6:51 PM
Jun 2019
I am deeply shaken psychologically now.
Jan 7, 2020 12:14 PM

Feb 2015
Vinland Saga is relentlessly depressing and dark at times. It's hard to watch more than a couple of episodes, it's good but not an easy watch.

People forget Vikings were absolutely brutal and not just some DNes with beards and horns on their helmets like modern day likes to see them. I'd imagine at the time they were the worst of the worst.
CrashmattJan 7, 2020 12:19 PM
Jan 11, 2020 3:38 AM

Mar 2015
The harsh realities of war..
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 16, 2020 6:26 AM

Jul 2019
Okaay now that was deadly shot. Any posibble sympathy i could feel for Thorfinn and Askeladd gang all gone now.
Thorfinn says he wants revenge for his father. Okay i feel the same, then go kill Askelad in his sleep. Just don't talk about honor or something, especially when you don't have any piece of it. They are all unbearable, really.
I understand that all these bloodshed is necessary if you want to tell a story about Vikings. I understand and appreciate the quality of manga and wit's work. It's just i hate every character. This anime is really challenging for me.
Jan 19, 2020 12:19 PM

Nov 2012
I'll smile the day thorfinn kills most of these guys, the amount of innocent civilians they're killing all the time and still act like they have pride as a warrior.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Feb 16, 2020 6:44 AM
Jun 2013
Very realistic depiction of past times. Plunder, slavery, persecution...This used to be the norm for centuries. I'm really impressed with this anime.
Mar 10, 2020 2:42 PM

Apr 2016
Highly sentimental episode this time around. I guess it served as another reminder that Askeladd and company aren't good people.
Mar 16, 2020 3:27 PM

Dec 2013
This episode itself could be a good ova :D My fav so far.
Mar 17, 2020 6:04 PM

Mar 2019
Yea,times were like that.But still,I found it kind of boring,cus of that girl and her voice.I mean,it was a different approach,showing the spiritual side of those times.Christianity was different back then.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 2, 2020 3:38 PM

Dec 2019
Damn, that was a sad episode, i wonder what will happen to that girl with ring tho.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 16, 2020 8:08 AM

Jan 2019
Just once I'd like to see a Christian not get slaughtered- must be my personal bias.

Interesting the potential connection between Thors and the priest though.
Apr 30, 2020 7:08 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
After this episode I was thinking, thousands and thousands of people have been massacred like this over the years without any consequences to those who did it. In a time of war like that, the common folk would suffer horribly and most of the time it wouldn't even be noticed, or no one would know who exactly did it, etc. Someone would come to the village after the winter and realise everyone had been slain, and that would be the end of it.

I love the dark ages and medieval setting, it's so fascinating. But I'm damn glad I wasn't alive back then.
May 6, 2020 8:26 PM
Apr 2018
This episode fucked me up ngl. I haven't really cared to much about what could happen to any of the characters so far (except Thors), but this one was different. Pretty night scenery at the end, when the girl was alone on front of the moon.
May 8, 2020 3:22 AM

Apr 2009
Warrior's pride my ass. Bunch of idiots.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2020 5:53 AM

May 2016
This was a chilling reminder that Askeladd and his men aren't the good guys here despite being the main characters in the spotlight. There have been numerous instances where they've brutally pillaged villages throughout the series but what makes this massacre different is how it showed these events in the villager's perspective for the most part.

They were just another stepping stone for them to use but it really made me think about how hellish it must've been to live way back then. Innocent people have always been the victims of the worst tragedies for little to no reason at all and it's a horrible reality in our world. I wonder what will happen next.

May 22, 2020 4:26 PM
Aug 2015
What a painfully realistic episode.
I hope Anne makes it out there ok, especially how she took such a dark and horrible reality.
Really good episode though it left me feeling empty inside.
May 29, 2020 3:41 AM

May 2017
What a fantastic Episode. So dark, so realistic. WIT Studio was definitely the best choice for this outstanding series.
Jun 3, 2020 10:04 AM
Sep 2018
It's a really sad story with this village... but good episode anyway.
Jun 3, 2020 1:26 PM
Dec 2019
Unsurprisingly another dark episode, these are becoming more and more frequent - but hey! i guess that's what those times were like. It is interesting to see the crossover between the religions (Viking gods, and Christianity).

I want to see Anne reappear and take her revenge, but honestly, doubt that will happen.
Jun 19, 2020 5:49 AM

Aug 2017
Quite the emotional episode, also shows us how Askeladd knows no mercy and wants to achieve his goal with everything he got
Jun 22, 2020 12:09 PM

Mar 2018
Exceptionally good episode, showing yet again why Vinland Saga is outstanding. The quiet discussion about good and evil at the dinner table as well as earlier the scene with the priest were wonderful. How someone as innocent as Ann could be anguished because she had stolen that ring, while the warriors thought about plundering and murdering a whole village. Great story, well executed. This episode gets a solid 10/10 from me.
Jul 5, 2020 1:58 PM

Mar 2010
Was kinda obvious that he wanted one of his sons esp this girly dude to die out. But yeah not all plans go according to plan.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 10, 2020 10:36 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
The birth of a new Thorfinn?..... JK lol
張大です for 張大勇督察
Aug 12, 2020 11:23 AM

Oct 2019
Looks like the priest realized Eren’s plan XDXD
Also I heard some bad things about the second OP, but I can say now it’s not as bad as people say.
Aug 23, 2020 11:31 AM

Feb 2013
It's sad and funny to think that people believe that crap.
Sep 14, 2020 11:58 PM

Jan 2019
Love it when the show reminds you that you are not watching good people
Sep 16, 2020 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
One of the most beautiful and, also, cruelest episodes I've seen... Touchy and realistic.
I'm really sorry for Anne, by the way :'( :'( :'(
And I don't know if I'm going to be able to see Askeladd, Björn and Thorfinn (yes, Thorfinn!) with the same eyes as before in the next chapters, but we are all kind of products of the environment/context we grown up, so is understandable if we considerate this... Human being is effortlessly able to do a lot of shit in its life.
Now, the understanding of what is shit or not, what is 'good' or 'bad', depends on the persons values, cultures, morals, experience and etc... But it's another tougher/deeper subject to discuss about, I guess.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

392 by joelius__0 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.