Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 14, 2019 8:47 PM
Feb 2019
Anime of the season and anime of the year right here. This episode hit right where it hurts. got more kyo backstory, his second form, and one of the most touching scenes of anime I have ever watched. This episode was up there with the likes of Anohana, Your Lie In April, Assassination Classroom, Clannad, and Violet Evergarden. Can't wait to see what the final episode brings!!!
Sep 14, 2019 9:35 PM
Jan 2019
so cute (^.^)

this was too emotional even she got hurt she still accepts him

for some reason, I really want to slap that head of the family he is too cruel that he only makes the rest of the family miserable life (trauma I mean)
Sep 15, 2019 12:38 AM
Jan 2018
I was really missing the music from the 2001 version during this episode
Sep 15, 2019 4:13 AM
Jan 2017
TheMidnightWolf said:
It's been almost a year since I watched the 2001 Fruits Basket, but I hope someone does a comparison between this episode and the 2001 version. I'd have to go back and rewatch that episode(s) but I was surprised by the sheer amount of changes the 2001 version made to that scene. I feel like I wish some of them were implanted in this version too...I remember feeling way sadder at the 2001 version than this one, there was definitely a more melancholy approach to the whole thing. The narration as well...am I remembering it wrong or was there a period of silence when Tohru trips in the 2001 version that's absent here?

This youtuber Ami Yoshiko makes comparison videos of the show. Here are her first 2 videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Pi56pyuF4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShkowA4qUvw She loves the reboot though, so she doesn't really criticize the things they chose to leave out much. She'll mention some of it though. I will admit, while I like the reboot, the 2001 version made me feel more emotions. I like it's execution better from the comedy to the soundtrack. I'll see this to the end because I love Fruits Basket and there is some great stuff to come. Also, I'm pretty sure there was a brief silence when she fell.
Sep 15, 2019 4:37 AM

Oct 2008
OH...MY...GOD!!! This episode blew me away! it was so so so GOOD!
5/5!

Sep 15, 2019 6:39 AM

Jul 2017
The eventual meet of Kyo and his master Kazuma. What's become a frightening meet years ago is being met once again, but with happiness that doesn't want everyone to see on the surface. Oh you shy kid!

TBH, Kazuma doesn't look very menacing at first sight, but definitely looks like a kind teacher. Deep down in his heart, Tohru could make or break Kyo's heart of openness. AT LEAST that's his thought process.

But the truth is FAR WORSE than anyone could have imagined. and I didn't think that Kyo would transform into a nearly-identical Charmeleon, without his bracelet of protection from the bad spirit. It is simply put, super scary, super-scarring and supernaturally insane for Kyo to exist in another form other than the Cat. Now I understand why even with Kagura shoving down his throat with love, he doesn't accept her love as it is, made even worse from the get-go with Yuki, more than just the cat vs. rat zodiac symbolism.

Umm, Tohru "flew" in the sky from Kyo's slashing??? I'm pretty sure that meant to be scarring, but it felt abstinence, and her walking back in (not so much) pain. But regardless, Tohru went back for him in love and acceptance, not caring for whom his true self is, but in no fault, other than to love him as he is.

Another phenomenal and amazing episode in the books of the 1st season, wrapping up to a T before the eventual Season 2 coming soon! 1 episode left, and there are many cards to follow, most likely gonna speculate a setup for the next season.
Sep 15, 2019 7:57 AM

Jan 2018
I'm already looking forward to the next season. Hope we don't have to wait too long.
whats a signature
Sep 15, 2019 8:27 AM
Sep 2019
This episode I felt was handled much better than the original anime, can' remember for sure but I do remember in the original they explored Kazuma relationship with his grandfather as a kid and the guilt he had, not sure if they will mention that later or not.
My only issues with this version of the series so far is that Kyo and Yuki feel almost like side characters not sure if that is how the manga made it but the original series them and Tohru were definitely the main characters so I have been taken aback a little bit because of that.
Sep 15, 2019 8:28 AM

May 2016
I've seen 2001 fruits basket 3 times before so this is the 4th time for me watching this ending... i still cried like i'd watched it for the first time.
“May those who accept their fate be granted Happiness, may those who defy their fate be granted Glory.”
Sep 15, 2019 8:30 AM

Dec 2013
CherryJohnson said:
TheMidnightWolf said:
It's been almost a year since I watched the 2001 Fruits Basket, but I hope someone does a comparison between this episode and the 2001 version. I'd have to go back and rewatch that episode(s) but I was surprised by the sheer amount of changes the 2001 version made to that scene. I feel like I wish some of them were implanted in this version too...I remember feeling way sadder at the 2001 version than this one, there was definitely a more melancholy approach to the whole thing. The narration as well...am I remembering it wrong or was there a period of silence when Tohru trips in the 2001 version that's absent here?

This youtuber Ami Yoshiko makes comparison videos of the show. Here are her first 2 videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Pi56pyuF4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShkowA4qUvw She loves the reboot though, so she doesn't really criticize the things they chose to leave out much. She'll mention some of it though. I will admit, while I like the reboot, the 2001 version made me feel more emotions. I like it's execution better from the comedy to the soundtrack. I'll see this to the end because I love Fruits Basket and there is some great stuff to come. Also, I'm pretty sure there was a brief silence when she fell.

Oh thanks for mentioning that! I'll definitely check out here videos so I can remember better. I think it's definitely each their own for the reboot vs 2001 version. I agree that certain scenes in the 2001 version feel a lot more impactful than this version but I like that we're finally getting everyone's backstories and really fleshing out all of the characters this time around. I think in the end I'll probably end up liking the reboot more but I'll admit certain scenes were done better in 2001.

Central Time (US)
Sep 15, 2019 9:03 AM

Sep 2013
magicalgirlpaige said:
I've seen 2001 fruits basket 3 times before so this is the 4th time for me watching this ending... i still cried like i'd watched it for the first time.

Same. (╥﹏╥) Knowing exactly what will happen still won't lessen the impact.
Sep 15, 2019 9:10 AM

Jan 2016
New viewers, see this is why those who love Fruits Basket loves it so much and why Tohru is timeless!
Sep 15, 2019 9:14 AM

Nov 2018
Wow that was powerful, I got teary-eyed. I could empathize with Kyo with his loneliness, but I don't approve of him hurting Tohru so that she could stay away from him (also he could have treated Tohru's wound or at least shown worry about it but he just went to sleep with all the relief he got, then again he had gone through a lot) As always Honda Tohru continues to be the best aspect of the show.
I still prefer Saki's episode but this was a great episode too.
Sep 15, 2019 10:18 AM

Jul 2014
Another exceptional and emotionally powerful episode for this show, with Tohru's feelings once again breaking through and being just what was needed. Still, with all the new information we're steadily getting about the Somas (along with Shigure's reaction to Kazuma's suggestion), I can't help but feel that they're relying on Tohru way too much, and that it's going to have some serious consequences somewhere down the line.
Sep 15, 2019 10:22 AM

Apr 2011
Awesome episode. As far as I remember, this part was much longer in the old version. But I liked it better now.

5/5

Sep 15, 2019 10:33 AM

Nov 2008
BitterBones said:
Wow that was powerful, I got teary-eyed. I could empathize with Kyo with his loneliness, but I don't approve of him hurting Tohru so that she could stay away from him

Yeah....I didn't like that either...and this version went overboard with sending her flying. That wasn't supposed to happen. :/ Kyou didn't seem to know what else he could do to keep her away, I guess.

(also he could have treated Tohru's wound or at least shown worry about it

I think he was probably too emotionally and physically drained. xD But he DID hug her tight even though he hates transforming so...that's the author's way of showing how sorry he is.

Saki's episode was amazing. I think one of the best.

Sep 15, 2019 11:06 AM

Nov 2018
Chiibi said:
BitterBones said:
Wow that was powerful, I got teary-eyed. I could empathize with Kyo with his loneliness, but I don't approve of him hurting Tohru so that she could stay away from him

Yeah....I didn't like that either...and this version went overboard with sending her flying. That wasn't supposed to happen. :/ Kyou didn't seem to know what else he could do to keep her away, I guess.

(also he could have treated Tohru's wound or at least shown worry about it

I think he was probably too emotionally and physically drained. xD But he DID hug her tight even though he hates transforming so...that's the author's way of showing how sorry he is.

Oh wow, it was dramatic indeed. Good it wasn't supposed to be like that.
Ah true, he did hug her. But later he just transformed to cat form while she stayed, her wound visibly there. But I am just gonna assume he treated it later and was going through so much including the relief he felt when he finally heard the words he wanted to her.
And yes, Saki's episode was my favorite in the series so far. It was very well-done.
OrangeCloudsSep 16, 2019 4:38 AM
Sep 15, 2019 11:48 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS ALL KYOU DOES IN THE MANGA

They should have followed it. :/ I mean, the episode is still great; don't get me wrong...but WHY make him hurt her more than he already did!?
ChiibiSep 15, 2019 11:52 AM

Sep 15, 2019 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
This episode teaches you how wonderful it is to accept someone. Tohru is a gentle soul as always ;_;

Akito at it again, I swear that selfish man needs to have his head checked.
Sep 15, 2019 3:20 PM

Apr 2009
Wow wow wow a total 5/5 episode. As someone who has not watched the last anime or read the manga, my expectations from this remake were very limited because I know it’s meant to be a literal remake and hence somewhat outdated. I think in this episode Tohru has proven her mantle to me. I never expected this development, which is what makes it very exciting from the eyes of someone who is completely new to the story. This anime was skirting the 6/10 score all this time on my list but has finally broken the 8/10 rank. Unless something drastically bad happens in finale, it’s unlikely my rating would drop. Really glad I picked up this series.
Sep 15, 2019 3:59 PM

Jan 2019
BitterBones said:
Chiibi said:

Ah true, he did hug her. But later he just transformed to cat form while she stayed there, her wound visibly there. But I am just gonna assume he treated it later and had going through so much including the relief he felt when he finally heard the words he wanted to her.
And yes, Saki's episode was my favorite in the series so far. It was very well-done.
I don’t know if the scene will be in the anime, but in the manga he later asks how her wound was. It was supposed to happen in Hiro’s intro, but he appeared earlier in the anime. I didn’t really like that they added Kyo sending her flying. In the manga it was just a cut.
Crystal_Star07Sep 15, 2019 4:03 PM
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Sep 15, 2019 7:00 PM
May 2017
Best Episode Yet. So damn good. Cleaning up the tears...<3 Kyo is such a bae.
Sep 15, 2019 7:19 PM
Sep 2018
BitterBones said:
Chiibi said:

Ah true, he did hug her. But later he just transformed to cat form while she stayed there, her wound visibly there. But I am just gonna assume he treated it later and had going through so much including the relief he felt when he finally heard the words he wanted to her.

kyo can't control his transformation, when he hugged tohru he had to transform, and then since she was carrying him he couldn't transform back into human form. we aren't really shown much of the aftermath, so i'm guessing after they arrived home he or someone else treated tohru's wound.
Sep 15, 2019 9:21 PM

Dec 2018
holy heck, im gettin' massacred here, babes.

translation: holy heck, I can't stop crying. so glad I went in this blind
Sep 15, 2019 11:32 PM

Jul 2014
Wow.

To be honest, as someone who is new to this series, my feelings about this show have been fairly lukewarm up till this point. It was cute and had some nice moments, but it felt like a by-the-books shoujo that rode on its sad character backstories, tropey bishie characters, and cheesy "kyaa" moments. Thats why I was completely unprepared for how this episode turned out. I'll just list all the things I appreciate about it.

• Kyo having a disgusting form that genuinely scares Tohru and repulses her to the point of vomiting. Not a like vaguely furry beast that we are suppose to believe is ugly, but a true monster.
  • Kyo going as far as physically attacking Tohru to scare her away. Not some lame monster cry or light tap to intimidate.
  • Tohru legitimately gives up and walks away after getting hit, even if only for a few moments.
  • Tohru admitting her fear of Kyo in this form. No "I love you even in this form" speech.

Bucking the cheesy tropes and cliches easily made this the most emotionally impactful episode by a large margin. It seems this is the point in the story where the author finally shows their hand, so now I can truly say I'm 100% on board with this series. It doesnt retroactively improve the dull episodes or the unfunny humor for me, but it does make change my view on many of the character interactions up till now.
Sep 16, 2019 2:34 AM

May 2017
After watching this episode, I'm getting a little angry at the creators of 2001 version for including so many unnecessary yet significant changes. I know they were trying to wrap things up, but there's nothing wrong in ending an anime series with unresolved mysteries. That way you can always hope, some day a sequel will happen. And manga readers wouldn't hate it so much just for doing things differently. If they didn't add those small fillers (and showed that damn cap), there would be no need for this remake, which is worse in almost every aspect.

I mean, in the old anime this arc was a little longer and actually creepy. Here, the animation is pretty and the slow motion scene of taking off Kyou's bracelet looked cool, but the whole episode was a little too rushed for me.
Play Honkai Impact 3rd
Sep 16, 2019 4:22 AM
Apr 2019
UglyBarnacle said:
It seems this is the point in the story where the author finally shows their hand

Takaya finally showing her hand is a good way to put it.

In a lot of ways, while the story is consistent, tonally Fruits Basket feels a lot different between everything before the true form arc vs. everything after. Not because the writing suddenly decided to change, but because it decided to finally reveal itself. Next season Fruits Basket will be unveiling its true form as well.
Sep 16, 2019 6:01 AM

Sep 2015
Chiibi said:
THIS IS ALL KYOU DOES IN THE MANGA

They should have followed it. :/ I mean, the episode is still great; don't get me wrong...but WHY make him hurt her more than he already did!?

To be fair, I don’t think tohru was any more injured in the anime than she was in the manga. I mean she’s not like limping or has any more scratches in the anime. But I do agree, her flying off the cliff was a little shocking.

But for the people who think this is the end of the true from arc, it’s really not. I’m pretty sure next episode will have the more depth into Kyo & Kazuma’s relationship that people keep saying the only anime had & this one didn’t. If next episode adapts the chapters I think it will, then it should cover that relationship, & some Yuki feelings. I could be wrong, but that’s what I’m hoping for.
Sep 16, 2019 7:03 AM
Apr 2018
Acho que a música do final poderia ter sido a abertura da primeira versão de Furuba. Iria ser bem emocionante!

Amei o episódio, não me lembrava de algumas coisas, como a mãe do Kyo tratando ele daquela maneira. POR UM SEGUNDO ACHEI QUE TINHA BEIJO VINDO MAS NÃO HSHSHSHHS

Ahh, fico tão feliz que vão animar toda a história dessa vez! :)
Sep 16, 2019 12:01 PM

Nov 2008
UglyBarnacle said:
but it felt like a by-the-books shoujo that rode on its sad character backstories, tropey bishie characters, and cheesy "kyaa" moments.

Just remember; the original manga was written in the late 90s; so 'tropes' were a new concept back then. xD

There wasn't much like it when it first came out. This isn't an updated story; it's updated animation. So people ought to be more forgiving, I think.

@Kisa1208 Oh ya, I know. I just didn't like him flinging her lol. is your username refing Kisa Sohma? xD

Sep 16, 2019 12:53 PM

May 2012
Serenity87HU said:
Same. (╥﹏╥) Knowing exactly what will happen still won't lessen the impact.

I had the same reaction rewatching episode six of Kemono no Sou-ja Erin knowing what would happen in the next installment. I saw all the little foreshadowings that I didn't recognize the first time through.
Sep 16, 2019 1:19 PM

Sep 2015
Chiibi said:

@Kisa1208 Oh ya, I know. I just didn't like him flinging her lol. is your username refing Kisa Sohma? xD

Oh yeah no, I get that. I was like “damn Kyo” in my head when it happened.

& yes it is actually. She’s just so freaking cute, & I really like the name. Haha.
Sep 16, 2019 4:52 PM

Jan 2019
Well, I think that the real form of Kyo is pretty cool
Sep 16, 2019 5:37 PM

Jun 2014
Well that was an awesome episode. 1 of my favourite parts from the manga done right this time, without random unnecessary fillers like in the old anime. Tooru's VA did an awesome job. Kyou's was ok, but I liked his old VA a bit better in the parts after he transforms from the monster into a human and hugs Tooru, especially the way he called her name, loved that. But it's just a small detail, everything else was done a lot better this time. I'm so sad only 1 episode is left. Hope season 2 will happen soon. I need to see and hear Rin. <3 Interested about Kureno too.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Sep 16, 2019 8:10 PM

Jan 2011
i sobbed like a baby towards the end holy shit i love them so much
the way tohru was looking at him while she was holding him ;w; along with kyo's inner monologue ;ww; and the ED song playing at the end ;;;;www;;;;

the only thing i'd say is when he hit her and she fucking flew 5 meters away it was so extra and sudden i almost started laughing
wankSep 16, 2019 8:35 PM
Sep 16, 2019 8:37 PM
Jan 2018
So you’re telling me there is actually a love triangle after this? Screw me I won’t be able to choose..
Sep 17, 2019 12:57 PM

Jun 2016
As much as it was a good episode on its own, I can’t help but think how much better it’d be if they included the Akito scene and the scene with Hana & Uo before Tohru goes to Kyo. In this version, Tohru’s horrified state and her inner conflict seemed very underestimated. Not to mention there was no Yuki around in such a critical scene. It was way more powerful in the original series.
Sep 17, 2019 1:22 PM

May 2008
Very meh for me...
The music was super overbearing at some points, the animation was some of the worst so far-
which makes me really sad since this is such an important episode.
I didn't like some of the changes they made from the manga.

They couldn't even be bothered to animate Kyo running away... okay then... :V
I prefer the 2001 version with the filler parts cut out. At least it made me feel something-

I was mostly just sad with the shit animation/music this episode- instead of some real feels. :|
Sep 17, 2019 7:44 PM

Nov 2017
Thanks, Im crying. Beautiful as always.

Sep 18, 2019 5:18 AM

Nov 2016
Kyo = Kurama confirmed xD

Jokes aside, it was a fantastic episode. Even among all the feel trips this show already offered, this arc revolving about Kyo and his pent up sorrow stands above them all, also because it's imo very easy to relate to.

5/5 episode and more tears were shed

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 18, 2019 9:39 AM
May 2017
this episode was really great and touching, I'm in tears TuT
i have not seen the 2001 version but i loved it, and i trough a confession from Kyou to Tohru at the last scene xD when they hugged each other, but actually it's better to keep them for now that they're going.
Sep 19, 2019 3:32 AM

Nov 2011
Oof, Kyo how the hell do you think flinging poor Tohru into the air with that backhanded bitch slap is going to help? The water could have infected her wounds or the fall could have shattered her bones or leave her with some nasty bruises! Come on, Kyo, ya dumdum. There's a limit to stupidity.

Okay, but setting aside my outrage, the ending was actually really precious. I was just taken aback by the violence of the scene. How did Tohru manage to carry him with her shoulder torn up like that? And how did her cut just magically disappear by the time she got home? It was a little much but I guess anime has a license to be a bit over the top. I shall dutifully suspend my disbelief. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
Sep 19, 2019 4:37 AM

Apr 2018
This episode was rather a serious one. Kyo's past is pretty sad and his real form is freaky, damn. Last episodeeeee next
Sep 19, 2019 10:15 AM

May 2016
This left a scar on poor girl... Kyou you stupid jerk.... one thing that was perfect 10/10 was the voice acting of Tohru... best girl of the season.
Sep 20, 2019 11:21 AM

May 2016
Holy shit dude's a Digimon

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2019 12:56 PM

Aug 2018
Kougeru said:

I apologize. kinda triggered by people somehow missing the info all these months, didnt read your post properly (not your fault, somehow I missed where you said "official"). My assumption is that since this was planned well ahead of time, the wait won't be too long. I think it will be 2021 at the latest but I think we have a very high chance of setting 2nd Season in 2020

Bullseye : https://myanimelist.net/news/58391950

This is great, now I know that the longest delay before the season 2 could 1 year from now (if we consider it airs for Fall 2020).
Sep 20, 2019 1:04 PM

Oct 2010
Fantastic news it is! I'm also glad about the break. Better for the studio staff to be able to take more time to keep the quality at the same level. Very excited and really really happy for Takaya-san. After all these years she finally got the amazing adaptation she deserved.
Sep 20, 2019 8:01 PM

Apr 2018
Damn I didnt expect Kyou to have another form but seeing Tohru embracing Kyou in cat form was nice!
Sep 21, 2019 10:38 AM

Nov 2014
Wow what a spectacular episode! Didn't expect Kyo's true form to be a monster. Halfway through the episode I sort of guessed that his bracelet is hiding his true form somehow.

I feel like Kyo's mother's response is how normal people would act. They would act like they're not afraid of his true form, pretend that everything would be okay as long as they hide it, as if it'll go away if they hide it. But that's not true. They may not see it, but Kyo who's the one wearing the bracelet, which is a constant reminder of what a monster he is, knows that even if they hide it pretend that it's not there, it still exists. They're pretty much putting the issue away into a box and locking it, but that's not going to last forever, eventually it'll come back and their pretense that everything is fine will be destroyed. They need to look the problem into the eye and deal with it as soon as they see it.

Tooru didn't sugarcoat anything. She is scared and she didn't try to hide it so she doesn't hurt Kyo's feelings. Cause she knows hiding the fact that she's scared and pretending she's okay with his true form will only hurt him more, cause she's lying directly to his face. Instead, she will accept it and help him deal with it together. The only way to not be bothered by an issue is to deal with it immediately.

This eps is so fucking good i had to pause and take a breather when i reach the ending. The ED fit in perfectly, the lyrics matched the scene like no others. Brilliant!

The only minor part of this episode that bothered me is how Tooru isn't severed injured after falling head first into a lake?pond? that's so shallow the water barely reached her ankle. She was like 30 feet high in the sky falling down how is she not injured??

Rytakahashi09 said:
HaXXspetten said:
Wasn't expecting to see a pokemon in this anime

Am I glad I wasn't the only one who thought this when his "true" form got revealed.

He looks more like the Kyuubi to me lol.
Sep 21, 2019 11:37 AM

Feb 2008
Ah shit man im crying
that does the manga so much justice ;o;
My fucken heart
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

130 by razornamidablood »»
Apr 22, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

217 by bruh98hy89 »»
Mar 29, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

123 by Jordanrane02 »»
Mar 16, 9:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.