Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 8, 2019 3:57 PM

Dec 2009
Koustubh said:
Damn! That was a better episode, compared to the previous one, but still lacking in any fighting or brutality. Also, the animation was top notch, as usual. Let's hope that there'll be some fighting in the next episode. 4/5

Welp clearly this anime has something to teach you I guess haha (manga reader there :3)
Jul 8, 2019 5:07 PM
Jun 2017
Those villagers sure are excited about the upcoming war, and oooppppsss, they dont know Floki has a big plan--- and its a trap to Thorr and his men... ohh no!!! Lets see the next episode
Jul 8, 2019 5:46 PM

Jun 2013
Those naive kids have no idea how horrible war is.
Jul 8, 2019 8:10 PM

Aug 2017
so happy to see my boy Askeladd animated. I love the voice they have chosen for him,it suits him so much
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2019 1:01 AM

Apr 2012
Viking invasion of England, jomsvikings, so this anime will be not just "historical", but really based on real historical events? In any case, I adore European history, so I'm on board.

Axelucard said:
Those naive kids have no idea how horrible war is.

Well, for the people of that time, war was a normal part of life. However, this doesn't negate that the guys go to war as if they are going fishing with their dad.
RobertBobertJul 9, 2019 1:06 AM
Jul 9, 2019 2:54 AM
Aug 2016
Batora07 said:
Koustubh said:
Damn! That was a better episode, compared to the previous one, but still lacking in any fighting or brutality. Also, the animation was top notch, as usual. Let's hope that there'll be some fighting in the next episode. 4/5

Welp clearly this anime has something to teach you I guess haha (manga reader there :3)

I see. Well the character development is clearly shown in the opening. So I think that it's going to build up and escalate to a new level.
Jul 9, 2019 3:43 AM

Apr 2018
Twas a good episode. Goddamn Floki, scheming against a man as great as Thors.

    I'm not lazy...
      I'm just very unproductive.

Jul 9, 2019 5:13 AM

Dec 2015
That's some good old English tactics, kill them while their pants are down.
Is it weird that I'm rooting for the English even though they are clearly the villains?
Jul 9, 2019 6:23 AM

May 2014
I can see the bara artists going crazy with that first scene.. too bad really, such good looking men.

Other than that, damn this was such a refined episode.. I love the series already. Also the OP gives me the goddamn chills everytime I listen to it.
ZoroZoldyckJul 9, 2019 6:48 AM

Jul 9, 2019 11:11 AM
Aug 2011
Floki garbage as always, thankfully Askeladd was there to cleanse my eyes.
Jul 9, 2019 4:07 PM

Jun 2019
I've never read the manga so this is only based off the episodes that have currently aired.

Askeladd seems like he's going to be an interesting character.

I'm also starting to get some Berserk vibes from this, they're very subtle but they're definitely there.
Jul 9, 2019 8:41 PM

May 2019
This episode seemed more lighthearted, but imo it was darker than the first, it was just subliminal. It felt like the calm before the storm, developing the conflicting ideologies of Thorr and everyone from his past, while also presenting a nice bit of character development for Thorfinn. This is probably my most looked-forward-to anime of the season.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jul 9, 2019 10:37 PM

Sep 2017
Rest in peace Thorfinn. You died pretty fast. Props to Faxi for holding that sword in his dead hand like a trooper. So Leif is a Christian. Will he be killed by that Askeladd guy who hates Christians? I love the raw fury Thors is radiating. It sucks that Thors had to make that kind of decision, and Floki is an asshole for pushing Thors in the first place, but in the end, I think Thors made the right decision. How did they figure out where Thors was in the first place? These guys are way too excited to get massacred in a war. Thorfinn knocking the guy out cold with the sword was funny. I liked the attention to detail with his bloody nose. Thors just grabbed that razor-sharp blade and didn't even flinch. What a badass. Wonder what Floki's motivation is, for killing Thors. Maybe to get back at him for deserting? Just seems like a waste of time and money to track Thors down only down to off him.
Jul 10, 2019 4:17 AM
Jul 2018
Ah, Thors. What a good man. I'm so sorry from him.
I get that feeling back when his character stood out for me at the starter chapters of the manga. He really is my favorite.

Jomsvikings sure look like a badass bunch of soldiers.
I like that ominous aura they give staring and standing firm without a slight flinch.
Damn chills.

The scene of Thorfinn pulling out the sword and dazing on it gave me some sad, tragic feeling.
Jul 10, 2019 8:06 AM
Mar 2019
Although the MAL description has spoilers itself, the pacing of these early episodes showcase remarkable storytelling aspects.
I'm glad the anime adaptation started the show this way instead of littering the rest of the show with flashbacks; this has made a connection with the characters much more genuine compared to some of the other shounen from this season *cough* Fire Force *cough*

These kids are vying to get into war but haven't seen a single day of struggle in their lives.
It will be interesting to see if they can withstand the brutalities of war (though very unlikely)
KidLeafJul 10, 2019 8:11 AM
Jul 10, 2019 5:01 PM

Aug 2015
Welp, don't know why I thought Thorfinn was the guy at the end of episode 1. I hope Floki dies. Anyways, I love the way the story is being told in the anime. Don't know if it is similar to the manga? Can't wait to see the war. The kids were so adorable.
Jul 10, 2019 6:57 PM

Apr 2019
MonkeyDHunter said:
The pacing overall is pretty great and I think it was the best deciosion to start the series with the flashbacks. Fits better in terms of storytelling and how Thorfinn's character is developing.

I decided to keep watching the show just for the pacing. I was really good in deed.

PS: Still dont know why Thors is sort of a saint.
Jul 10, 2019 11:11 PM

Dec 2013
Those guys have no clue what war is really like...

Massive death flags for Thors at the end.
Jul 11, 2019 5:40 AM

Sep 2013
I don't think Askeladd's voice matches his appearance (I haven't read the manga).
Jul 11, 2019 6:32 AM

Aug 2012
Very good episode. They fixed most mistakes. The only think still bothering me is that so many seem to wear mail.Or is it just gambeson poorly drawn?
Jul 11, 2019 8:03 PM

Jun 2014
This episode, Death Flags.
Next episode, Tombstones.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jul 12, 2019 5:09 PM

Jul 2016
Gingko said:
MonkeyDHunter said:
The pacing overall is pretty great and I think it was the best deciosion to start the series with the flashbacks. Fits better in terms of storytelling and how Thorfinn's character is developing.

I decided to keep watching the show just for the pacing. I was really good in deed.

PS: Still dont know why Thors is sort of a saint.

Because like most people, he does ot like killing. He got sick of it and wanted a better life.
Jul 12, 2019 11:00 PM
Aug 2018
I'm just gonna quickly point out that the music in this show is killing it. That piano track at the end of episode 2 just blew my mind. And when the piano piece blows it out of the water, the scene changes to waves crashing in the shore. It just gives an amazing sense of majesty to the world this characters inhabit, and then the series juxtaposes it with the violence this world also has. Its a piano piece similar to the one last chapter when Thors told the dying slave about Vinland.
That contrast between majestic beauty and brutal violence is what I've loved so much about this show so far, and is a characteristic most of my favorites share. I love it.
Jul 13, 2019 1:18 AM

Apr 2015
I'm very glad they crammed all the crap CGI into the first 5 mins of episode 1, this episode looked a lot better imo, let's hope WIT's B-Team don't screw it up.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jul 13, 2019 7:34 AM
Jul 2017
I suspect those villagers who are all excited to go to war will be crying like the Survey Corps before this is over.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Jul 14, 2019 11:16 AM

Jul 2014
Another great episode, with it really being telling how naive the villagers are about war compared to the Jomsvikings. As for Foki paying Askeladd to kill Thors, it's an interesting and inevitable development (because Thors probably needs to be killed off for the story to progress) but it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for an assassination.
Jul 14, 2019 2:02 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Fafano16 said:
Does anyone know why flokin wants Thor dead?

As a manga reader I can tell you, but are you sure you want to know? Spoiler ahead
FarabeufJul 14, 2019 2:28 PM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 14, 2019 2:56 PM

Jun 2016
Farabeuf said:
Fafano16 said:
Does anyone know why flokin wants Thor dead?

As a manga reader I can tell you, but are you sure you want to know? Spoiler ahead

Thanks @(´・ェ・`)@.
Jul 14, 2019 5:42 PM

Sep 2014
From looking at the OP I get the feeling I wont like the MC once he gets older and this story will become kinda meh a few eps in

watching an anime about vikings must be one of the weirdest things I have done.

Cant decide what is funniers, All Might voicing Thor in MCU, Hela saying Ara or "Thors dono"
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 15, 2019 10:37 AM
Aug 2014
Better attack the English while they're at church then
Jul 15, 2019 5:41 PM

Apr 2011
I just wish some characters voices could be deeper, It's a shame, like using a older man with a rougher voice for the viking chiefs.
Jul 16, 2019 3:45 AM

Sep 2016
Is them eager for war just because they want to go to Valhalla or something?
Jul 16, 2019 6:25 PM

Oct 2017
RaiRye said:
Is them eager for war just because they want to go to Valhalla or something?

Partially and partially because you can make a lot of money out on raids which is important if your looking to settle down. One of the biggest reasons it is theorized that the Viking age occurred was overpopulation. Raids and conquests were a good way to secure yourself when your options at home seem limited. You could make a killing if you got a good amount of loot.
Jul 17, 2019 3:13 PM

Mar 2017
How do they make the sky look so damn beautiful?
Jul 17, 2019 4:47 PM
May 2019
I wonder why Floki wants Thors to die. It is obvious that Thors now just wants a peaceful life withouth any bloodshed, so he can't be a threat to him in any way whatsoever.
Overall a really nice eps.
Jul 17, 2019 4:48 PM
May 2019
Minar-kyun said:
How do they make the sky look so damn beautiful?
I was fascinated by the sky too. so damn beautiful
Jul 18, 2019 4:33 AM

Apr 2018
This is pretty interesting. That guy invites Thors then ask someone to kill him, how evil
Jul 18, 2019 6:13 AM

Jun 2017
Well, that was quick. His past has came back to hunt him, literally. Those kids sure are pumped up for a war huh, if only they knew.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jul 20, 2019 12:32 PM

Mar 2018
Well with a name like Floki... Snake in the grass lol
{\_/}
(•~•)

{\_/}
( •-•)

{\_/}
( – _ -)
Jul 21, 2019 12:32 AM

Jun 2013
Askeladd! One of my favorite characters have finally been introduced.

Anyways, I finally got around to watching the second episode. I'll try to watch the third one as soon as I can. Since I've been busy and also got tonsillitis and wasn't in the mood to do anything. I was able to stretch the three episodes as far as I could before the release of the 4th episode on the 28th of July.

Ari and his friends have this glamorized image of war, thinking they're badass. They don't realize how gruesome and traumatizing war can truly be. They wouldn't last five minutes or even five seconds on the battlefield. They're still wet behind the ears. That's why their hero, Thors, despite being so strong is highly against it.
臭い-
Jul 21, 2019 1:03 AM

Feb 2019
Everyone is saying that Askeladd guy is amazing, wonder what would he do the next time he appears.
Jul 21, 2019 2:20 PM

Jan 2013
That ending...damn.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jul 28, 2019 10:21 AM

May 2015
Rip priests leg,..
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 28, 2019 11:21 AM

Dec 2016
The Thorfinn finding the dagger scene was really well done
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jul 29, 2019 5:19 AM

Mar 2009
Askeladd, the legend himself.
Aug 1, 2019 4:04 PM

Oct 2012
A lot better episode than the first one, this series really have some nice atmosphere and music.

My only gripe is with the main character right now - the boy seems like annoying little brat to me - and I really do hope that his attitude doesn't get even worse as he gets older in this series.
Aug 4, 2019 8:54 AM

Jun 2015
The innocence of children trying to get involved in wars...
Aug 5, 2019 10:38 AM

Jul 2009
Another great episode. I love all the historical tidbits they sprinkled into the show, such as the vikings bathing on Saturdays and the Englishmen using this to their advantage. Kinda funny how the whole village is so eager to go to war, but then I remember people back then used to be really fixated with glory and honor.

That poor priest in the end lol.
Aug 5, 2019 1:26 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
It’s a slow burn so far but I really like the chapter development going on with the Thor’s. Thor’s speech was very powerful and really had weight to it. I also laughed at Thorsfin hitting the kid in the face after he was told he died. Also shit man ordering Thor’s death after we built a relationship with him smh
Aug 7, 2019 1:38 AM
Jun 2016
Best decision to pick this anime up. It's incredible so far!! Also, the animation is fucking top tier. I keep pausing on landscape shots just to gape at it - especially the ocean shots.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

800 by viking-Captain »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 4:39 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.