Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 6, 2019 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's an alright start, still trying to get back into the mood of the show since episode 0 that aired months ago.

Meanwhile, we meet Waver, Melvin, and some others to set up for the season. There's also some minor info dump about the servants from the Holy Grail War. I'm much more curious to see how they'll flesh out the rest of the story with this.
Stark700Jul 6, 2019 12:04 PM
Jul 6, 2019 9:43 AM

May 2017
Wow, I gotta admit, this is not at all what I was expecting going into this. I've read/watched the majority of Fate stuff out and wanted to go into this completely blind.

That being said, if there was one word to describe this episode, it would definitely have to be...

Seamless. Everything was absolutely seamless. The transitions, the animation, the interspersion of Fate/Zero moments, the dialogue, the OST. Seamless. Especially for a studio like TROYCA to replicate scenes that ufotable did and replicate them so well, granted in their own unique art style, but they were great. Powerful, impactful, and gripping for the very first episode and I am really looking forward to watching what comes next!

*Edit: I would NOT recommend watching this if you haven't seen Fate/Zero. Too many references to Waver's past in this show.
phiraethJul 6, 2019 9:53 AM
Jul 6, 2019 10:02 AM

Apr 2016
This was nice basic introduction and backstory of what happened to Waver after the war.

Hope they reduce Zero flashbacks to a minimum tho, or maybe the whole first half will be just that, we'll see.
Jul 6, 2019 10:15 AM

Aug 2013
Well, this was an interesting start. We got to see some of Waver's past. (Fate/Zero flashbacks.
Mainly an introduction episode and info dump episode. Looking forward to this.

Jul 6, 2019 10:18 AM

Oct 2017
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
It's an alright start, still trying to get back into the mood of the show since episode 0 that aired months ago.

Meanwhile, we meet Waver, Melvin, and some others to set up for the season. There's also some minor infod ump about the servants from the Holy Grail War. I'm much more curious to see how they'll flesh out the rest of the story with this.

Should I watch episode 0 before this?
Jul 6, 2019 10:34 AM

Sep 2014
That was pretty nice start. While the special we got, seemed a bit random in terms of plot, this one pretty much gave us a better insight regarding Waver's current situation. Loved seeing the Fate/Zero segments in this and the references towards it were pretty nostalgic but I hope they won't overdo it with the flashbacks later on. Anyway, looking forward to see more of this.
Jul 6, 2019 11:05 AM

Mar 2013
It was pretty good. Although Zero flashbacks without it's OST music felt wrong.
AntonKutovoiJul 6, 2019 12:36 PM
Jul 6, 2019 11:08 AM

May 2014
I LOVED THIS! As an avid fan of Iskandar in F/Z, FGO etc.. I loved this so much! The animation, the music, the build-up it was all great! I thought I wouldn't like Reines much either from what we've seen of her from EP 0 and FGO, but she was pretty amusing this episode. Really looking forward to the rest and hoping that they finish the novels, and we get a S2 or 25 episodes. seems like it's 13 episodes, oh well but I hope we get more later!

As someone from Iraq, it was nice to finally see some name drops in anime and Babylon drawn beautifully.

Jul 6, 2019 11:09 AM

May 2014
zeus-faber said:
Stark700 said:

Meanwhile, we meet Waver, Melvin, and some others to set up for the season. There's also some minor infod ump about the servants from the Holy Grail War. I'm much more curious to see how they'll flesh out the rest of the story with this.

not totally necessary but why not? It is a good characterization episode and will help in the later episodes.

Jul 6, 2019 11:18 AM
Aug 2014
I don't know what I was expecting, but I thought it would be more akin to the 0 episode rather than a set of flashbacks but I loved this more!
All of the callbacks to F/Z made me really emotional and Waver and Rider were my favourite pair with how much they grew to really be a partnership throughout the series, and to see how it was so important to Waver and sustains him now is just fantastic

Also that slow motion introductory credits bit with the charge on the bridge? Beautiful
Jul 6, 2019 11:32 AM
Sep 2016
From what I understand this was the anime original episode to make the transition to vol4 of the LN. So I'm not surprised that it was mostly flashbacks, plus they were good, a bit too light hearted when they're captured but good notheless. Also Reines look interesting and they did a good job keeping Waver out of the box use of magic, so it's a good start characters wise.
For the story I'm waiting until next week when it really start, to have an opinion but concerning the animation and sound, I'm sold, it was great even the new PoV from fate/zero look great, with good transition between the 2.
I definitly look forward to seeing more of Waver story.
OriotiarJul 6, 2019 11:36 AM
Jul 6, 2019 11:32 AM

Apr 2019
Wow! I never knew this existed. I've always wanted to see more of Waver ever since I've finished Fate/Zero. It's really great to see him again.

Jul 6, 2019 11:35 AM

Dec 2013
Very good start. Can't wait for more!
Jul 6, 2019 11:39 AM

Jun 2015
Ah man the first scene got me nostalgic and dat waver velvet in the Iskandar army though...

Awesome start
ok :p
Jul 6, 2019 11:47 AM

Oct 2017
ZoroZoldyck said:
zeus-faber said:

not totally necessary but why not? It is a good characterization episode and will help in the later episodes.

Thanks. Already watched it =)
Jul 6, 2019 11:51 AM
Sep 2017
Oriotiar said:
From what I understand this was the anime original episode to make the transition to vol4 of the LN.

That's good to know, because the episode was trash, in contrast with the ep. 0 OVA which was pretty ok. I dropped it without finishing the episode, but if it's original, maybe the rest will be watchable.
Jul 6, 2019 12:06 PM
Sep 2016
AstralBread said:
Oriotiar said:
From what I understand this was the anime original episode to make the transition to vol4 of the LN.

That's good to know, because the episode was trash, in contrast with the ep. 0 OVA which was pretty ok. I dropped it without finishing the episode, but if it's original, maybe the rest will be watchable.

I don’t know since personaly I really like it, but I'm pretty sure we're done with the anime original content since the episode ends with grey saying something along the line of "So you're done with the Izelma case teacher" which is the name second arc of the serie so that part was likely takken from either the end of vol 3 or begining of vol 4.
Jul 6, 2019 1:25 PM

Mar 2017
I was not sure what to expect from this but I enjoyed myself. Melvin & both Reines asking Waver about his virginity got a laugh out of me.

The visuals look really nice (well done TROYCA). Looking forward to how the next 12 episodes play out.
Jul 6, 2019 1:43 PM

Oct 2017
Nice to see more about Waver. He has really grown into a fine man since riders death. The few flashbacks of Rider really got to me. He was one of my fav servants in the whole fate series. Some new interesting characters was introduced too. Expecting gd thngs from this series.
Jul 6, 2019 1:51 PM

Nov 2016
The special to this series was rather boring and forgettable, but this first episode on the other hand was quite interesting. Captivating atmosphere and I also enjoyed to see the parts from Zero. So yeah, overall good first impression.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 6, 2019 2:01 PM

Apr 2011
Waver and Iskandar were a really great pair in F/Z so I was actually pretty pumped when I heard there was a series following Waver post-War. The OVA a few months ago was pretty random in terms of we were just thrown into the setting, but I liked that this first episode took a step back and bridged the two. I mean, that opening scene on the bridge was hella nostalgic and I got a bit emotional.

That being said I'm looking forward to where this goes. It is only 13 episodes so I hope they aren't too ambitious.
Jul 6, 2019 2:21 PM
Sep 2008
im half way through and than i see saber O_O
my dumb self from description of anime thought it was a new anime of some sort....
so it is related to fate and need to watch it to watch this one ??
Jul 6, 2019 2:29 PM

Jul 2016
Great start. Loved the episode, the music is amazing and of course Waver is back. Gray is cute and evil imouto Reines appears. Hype for the cases. Overall this the great first episode of summer anime.

Jul 6, 2019 2:32 PM
Aug 2018
I just realised something.
I love how Type-moon acknowledges that Babylon was the first ever Human Civilisation in earth’s ancient history as well as how the bible wrote about it too.
Likewise what came after it, Medo-Persia then Greece, where Iskandar (Alexander the Great) was it’s young ruler too.
As a Seventh-day Adventist and Christian in general, I simply love this. haha.

As for episode 1, I’d give it a 5/5 ehee.
Studio TROYCA adapting Ufotable’s style is a good thing for me.
Because that would mean we will have two anime studios who’d one day produce the same quality of animation and creativity !
That mystic eyes reference reminded me of Mystic eyes of Death Perception my Shiki from Kara no Kyoukai haha.
I hope to see Touko one day in the show.
Jul 6, 2019 2:43 PM
Sep 2016
There's this nice touch at the start when the chains are reaching towards Iskander and the scene breaks..during the transition there's the clang of the chains constraining Waver making those 2 scenes coincide..The directing..I dig it.
1.1.Six
Jul 6, 2019 3:32 PM
Mar 2017
To be honest, there are some reasons why I am watching this anime, but first of all I have not seen Fate/Zero, but still I did not get lost, I understood the events that happened and what I did not know, the internet helped me to know it.
1. This anime was done by Studio TROYCA, whenever I see one of their animes I am impressed with the excellent quality of the animation, artwork and soundtrack.
2. The director of this anime is the same who directed "Sakurako-san no Ashimoto or wa Shitai ga Umatteiru" and "Yagate Kimi ni Naru", which influenced my decision to see this anime with eyes closed and without context.
3. Reina Ueda is in charge of Gray's voice, reason enough for me to see this anime, plus I saw that Inori Minase also works in this anime as Reines and yes her character she gave me chills.

As far as I can see and understand, Waver seems to regret having survived the fourth war for the holy grail, but on his trip to Babylon he ends up rescuing an old acquaintance and finally eliminates the bastard who captured him and kept Iskandar's grave safe and I can understand Iskandar was Waver's servant.

Finally Waver ends up with an excessive burden that he must amend, first the debt with his friend Melvin and second Waver must fulfill the role of Lord until Reines is on a legal age and then she can be entrusted as the successor of the El-Melloi family, and now Waver or Lord El-Melloi II is a renowned magician who investigates cases on request.

I can understand where the thing is going and I found it very interesting and being this anime part of Fate's franchise, I think I would really like this anime.

The animation was incredible, something that TROYCA stands out very much, the soundtrack was also nice to listen to and the character design has a very good quality, so I stay on this trip with Lord El-Melloi and Gray.
Jul 6, 2019 3:50 PM

Oct 2012
This was horrible, this is not Fate. If I wanted to watch the anime that injects your usual tropy anime reactions and developements to well-established franchise I would honestly watch a different series. And they probably meant it seriously which is even worse.

Not to mention everything was so over the top and each scene was literally overplayed it hurt to even watch this as fan of the originals.

Not really fan of this. Waver was never my favourite but in F/Z his struggle at least had some reason thanks to Iskander. But he was made into laughing-stock in here. Almost everything in this episode scream not to be taken seriously.

Well, I probably won't. One more episode just to make sure what the story is in the present but I already hate Reines (not matter she is voiced by Minase Inori and that it is the second anime where she will be voicing a character with Matsuoka). His old friend was annoying as fuck too. And I really don't understand how everyone is praising this when this has really no charm compared to FZ and FSN.

(just sidenote - this would probably work well as standalone series.. but only if this wasn't part of the Fate franchise).
Jul 6, 2019 4:09 PM

Jan 2015
Interesting start, and a bit nostalgic.
Jul 6, 2019 4:56 PM

Jul 2012
Interesting first episode.

A lot of flashbacks and TROYCA did a good job by imitating ufotable style.
Digimon is the best Isekai
Jul 6, 2019 6:09 PM

Apr 2015
Mich666 said:
This was horrible, this is not Fate.

1. This is NOT Fate. It doesn't even have Fate/ on the title

2. This is a SPIN OFF serie.

3. This is more related to the magicians world and Clock Tower, is not about the HGW.

>Story

The series takes place in United Kingdom and revolves around the Clock Tower.

The world of Lord El-Melloi II Case Files is set as the same parallel world of Fate/stay night and relatively closely to Fate/Zero, as Waver Velvet had participated in the Fourth Holy Grail War.

>Plot

Lord El-Melloi II and Gray investigate mysteries in the thaumaturgy world.
Jul 6, 2019 6:27 PM

Jan 2011
Yeah this is still good ,remember seeing the ova and wanting more and we got it.

kinda really want ya to watch zero because spoilers! though it makes sense since this a side story sequel to our boi Waver

also get to see Grim again

Jul 6, 2019 6:47 PM
Jun 2017
The post story of Waver post the 4th holy grail war and how he became the El - melloi II.nice first episode so far.. yeah...

* anyways waver is one of the best Caster you could have in FGO.. hahaha
Jul 6, 2019 7:27 PM

Aug 2015
seems like this was the real prologue episode

Sado-loli Reines is my new favorite loli
(Teenage?) Reines seems like she's going to be a fun character

What the hell is a sister-by-succession?

the most important question here was left unresolved- is Waver a vrigin? Since he's a wizard, my money is on yes

I think I'm gay for Melvin
(You know this guys parent's determined he would be a wizard when they named him Melvin)

damn Kiritsugu, you killed Archibald so hard his family will feel it for 3 generations

Those last 7 years sure did a number on Waver, the stress really aged the man lol
the music at the end when Waver went to his office sounded like Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights.

sadly, I've been waiting 7 months and still no Luvia. Next week, I guess
glassknucklesJul 6, 2019 7:36 PM
Jul 6, 2019 7:42 PM

Feb 2019
What a strong first episode, really Loved it. The animation, the music, the build-up it was all great!

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jul 6, 2019 7:50 PM

Oct 2015
glassknuckles said:

the most important question here was left unresolved- is Waver a vrigin? Since he's a wizard, my money is on yes

(You know this guys parent's determined he would be a wizard when they named him Melvin)

damn Kiritsugu, you killed Archibald so hard his family will feel it for 3 generations

Those last 7 years sure did a number on Waver, the stress really aged the man lol
the music at the end when Waver went to his office sounded like Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights.

basically by some legal technicality cause mage world is fcked
shes now keyneth's and also waver's step sister

dont mind

Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jul 6, 2019 8:16 PM

Oct 2015
Now that it has laid the foundation with that bit of a backstory, let's hope this series will follow through immaculately and not waste our time.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 6, 2019 8:55 PM

Mar 2009
Wait. This is starting from volume 4, or something? It's not adapting the whole thing?
Jul 6, 2019 9:49 PM
Jul 2018
Mormegil said:
Wait. This is starting from volume 4, or something? It's not adapting the whole thing?
it's skipping the first 3 volumes I think but the first half is supposedly an anime-original replacement for those first 3 volumes with vol 4 being adapted in the 2nd half.
Jul 6, 2019 10:06 PM

Jul 2016
Now that I think about it... I'm with Reines and Melvin here, I also want to know if Waver lost his virginity at some point during these last ten years... and to think that Iskandar once acted as a wingman to help him in that regard when they met Taiga back then during the war... I wonder if drama CDs can be considered canon tho...

Anyways, it's so nice to see Waver again and know more about his situation once the HGW ended. The amount of references to Fate/Zero made me feel pretty nostalgic and the way TROYCA replicated the scenes made by Ufo using their own style was just excellent. Not to mention that the OST was also outstanding, as expected from Kajiura's works, of course.

I'm already loving Reines' character, by the way.

Overall, it was a fantastic first episode. Can't wait for the next one!

P.S.: Since this is situated in the same time as F/SN (I really hope they mention a date or month, by the way), I wonder if there will be any reference to the fifth HGW...
Jul 6, 2019 10:07 PM

Apr 2017
This focuses the aftermath of 4th Holy Grail War. Waver is like Shirou, he can do and fix anything with his magic. He has been abducted by Reines and offered him to be the successor of Kayneth. He told everything and we got to see flashbacks from 10 years ago to 7 years ago and back to current situation. I don't have any idea about this one. I only watched it since it's connected to Fate/ Series. The animation is good enough but Ufotable's animation is still better.
JerryKen10Jul 6, 2019 10:18 PM
Jul 6, 2019 11:18 PM
Jul 2017
zeus-faber said:
Stark700 said:

You need to watch all of the Fate franchise to watch this and you need to play all of the games in the correct order to even understand this show. That goes without saying though.
Jul 6, 2019 11:24 PM

Oct 2014
Okay-ish episode I guess.

The Babylon part felt unnecessary, could've just skipped to the scene where Waver was asking Melvin to borrow more money, establish their friendship some other way and move on to something that matters.

Reines is a character that gives me mixed feelings in both the LN and anime, I like her smugness in one moment and feel like punching her in another moment.
Jul 6, 2019 11:34 PM

Apr 2017
I wonder how long it will take for them to dub it. Including episode 0.
I really want to watch it in both forms.
Just like I watched Fate/ Zero.
“It is those who possess wisdom who are the greatest fools. History has shown us this. You could say that this is the final warning from God to those who resist.” – Rintaro Okabe
Jul 7, 2019 12:36 AM

Feb 2014
Finally worth the wait for the continuation to the greatest series ever, Fate/Zero. From the first minute to the end this episode played out Waver Velvet's part justice. Not a strong class mage neither a man with pride. But a guy destined to be the King's follower till his last breath. He really has some luck to say that he survived Gilgamesh due his loyalty to his King and the fact that he changed for the best.
Can't wait to see more of his exploits. Also Reines with her haughty imouto aura is too cute and devilish. The charm of a cunning hand with the smug on her face and the pain in her eyes(Now I want her more than ever on FGO). On the other hand we get to see Gray-tan from the first episode. Viewing her from Waver's POV is really exciting.

SouthRzVa said:
Now that I think about it... I'm with Reines and Melvin here, I also want to know if Waver lost his virginity at some point during these last ten years... and to think that Iskandar once acted as a wingman to help him in that regard when they met Taiga back then during the war... I wonder if drama CDs can be considered canon tho...

Wait that really happened?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jul 7, 2019 2:01 AM
Aug 2011
Oi Waver! Why didn't you answer that important question?! Did you lost it or not?!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2019 2:13 AM

Feb 2017
Good introductory episode, like the atmosphere in this one.
Jul 7, 2019 2:48 AM

Aug 2018
After the prequel from a few months back, I was going to blow this one off. The prequel was dreadfully dull and uninspiring. But, now that I've seen E1 I'm glad that I gave this one a chance. The episode was fast paced, and excellent. We'll see which way they go next week. Will it be a return to the prequel or will they keep the good work up.
Jul 7, 2019 2:50 AM

Dec 2013
Mei-o_Scarlett said:
glassknuckles said:

dont mind

Thanks. I just wanted to ask the same question.
Jul 7, 2019 4:20 AM

Oct 2015
Kamiyan3991 said:
Mei-o_Scarlett said:

dont mind

Thanks. I just wanted to ask the same question.

mean it changes nothing
all it means is just
waver is gonna get fcked with and bullied
tahts it
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jul 7, 2019 5:51 AM

Apr 2016
glassknuckles said:

Keyneth and Reines are from the same family house, the Archibalds. When Keyneth died in Fate/Zero, Archibalds lost their wealth, possesions and even magic crest, but they still retained the title "El-Melloi", but other than that they were basically fucked. And in all that Reines was chosen as a successor of El-Melloi, but shes underage so she cant be a Lord, so she needed someone to take her place until she grows up ... thats where Waver comes up, she basically adopted Waver into family, because hes useful to her.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2019

86 by Karva1 »»
Feb 24, 2:22 PM

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2019

60 by Karva1 »»
Feb 24, 1:13 PM

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2019

126 by Karva1 »»
Feb 24, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2019

100 by Trinity_07 »»
Jan 21, 4:19 PM

» Does anyone know why it’s called Grace Note?

the7threvival - Sep 7, 2023

3 by the7threvival »»
Sep 8, 2023 1:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.