Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 3, 2019 9:16 AM

Sep 2016
i went in with low expectations. Dont know the source material, it seemed like it was gonna be something meh

but turned out interesting, will be watching more
Jul 3, 2019 10:17 AM

Aug 2016
Im not a fan of the whole beast thing but i found this episode pretty enjoyable even though it felt too fast.
Jul 3, 2019 11:01 AM

Mar 2016
TheGratefulDead said:
Kiraly said:
This was disappointing.

Half the episode was just a slideshow, what will the show look like in 8 more episodes?

And the storytelling pacing was so bad. They thre us into this huge battle, which was too short, then showed a lot of scenes celebrating and someone turning into a monster and dying and a motivational speech in like the first 15 minutes. No context, no reason to care about these people suffering or being happy.
Kiraly said:
This was disappointing.

Half the episode was just a slideshow, what will the show look like in 8 more episodes?

And the storytelling pacing was so bad. They thre us into this huge battle, which was too short, then showed a lot of scenes celebrating and someone turning into a monster and dying and a motivational speech in like the first 15 minutes. No context, no reason to care about these people suffering or being happy.

Just the first episode and there's already people who are bitching about everything for the sake of bitching...

I can +1 that comment. Always gotta find faults in everything .
Jul 3, 2019 11:02 AM

Mar 2016
LawLLawL said:
Kiraly said:
This was disappointing.

HereticHunter said:
I must be missing something because this episode seemed terrible to me. Awkward pacing, a lot of shit happening in the background at incredibly fast pace, lots of death flags, obvious betrayal, forced comedy and what not. What could have been build in 2 or 3 episodes was destroyed in a single one.

Hopefully this doesn't remain the same for the rest of the season because I was really looking forward to this when I saw the pv. It would be sad if it ends up being Fairy Gone 2.0.

More or less how I felt watching this. Saw people hyping this up as being substantially better than Fairy Gone, at least in terms of source material, but with the first episode it really doesn't seem to be delivering.

People working as screenwriters for anime need to pick up lessons on non-linear story telling. This whole episode was just 20 minutes of horribly forced exposition just to establish the setting, yet also crammed in plot developments in the process, and to top it all off threw a rollercoaster of mixed action, melodrama, and comedy. Visual mediums have so much potential in the show-not-tell department, why not make use of it? You're not forced to present to the audience events in chronological order, especially if they don't assist in the story telling by being arranged in this manner. And-then-this-happened approach to storytelling is not always appropriate.

Too much content pulling in too many different directions in too short a span of time. It would've been better structured into different parts. Condense the opening narrative exposition as much as possible and lead with the action scene in the same manner. You get an idea of what the setting looks like, two warring factions, one side clearly inferior, so on an so forth. Show it on-screen, and as a bonus you can just cut that element from the beginning narration and save screen time for something else. I don't need to hear the North as being the weaker of the two factions from the narrator, and then see it moments later in an action scene to affirm what I already know.

Conclude the action scene with the appearance of the titular "monsters" in action as the heroes of their army. Evidently the North, the weaker of the two factions, has something besides bodies to throw at the problem and thus pull ahead in the balance of power. But don't carry on with this plot-line for 20 mins, drop the beginning plot line and immediately transition into a later chronological segment of the narrative.

Show something else. Don't pile on action for the sake of it. Pacing is key, and putting a million divergent scenes into a blender to mix them together just hurts the narrative. And for fucks sake people need to stop killing off named characters in the opening episode and expecting any kind of real effect. Why does the viewer care about not one but TWO named characters dying in spectacular or otherwise shocking fashion? We have known them for all of one or two scenes, can barely fit names to faces, and don't feel invested enough in the characters to give half a fuck. The resulting death scene just feels forced. Better to develop the plot with the monster unit more and save the dramatic death for later if you want any real impact out of the deaths. Shoving all of this into the first episode makes for poor story telling.

Keep the captain killing a former comrade rampaging as the closing scene to the episode, but leave the viewer asking questions rather than being force fed answers. As of right now, we already know why. They all eventually turn crazy and murder people so they all have to die, the hunting and killing of these monsters is no longer a plot point with any uncertainty, mystery, or moral ambiguity around it. They have to go, and the MC is the one to carry this out. In an opening episode devoid of the same degree of force feeding of information, that closing scene with the killing of a monster stands as a far better hook for the viewer who is as of yet unaware as to why this took place.

If you tell someone more than they need to know right off the bat through exposition, you're counting on your later story telling to be strong enough on its own to not have the info-dump detract in any way. Do we have any reason to believe the execution of the story later on will be so well handled? Not really, the way the first episode played out is a strong indication this show will not deliver in that regard.

Probably won't drop only because I tend to watch things to the end, even if at times it results in devoting time to watching dumpster fires burn; but the bar is pretty god damn low right now and I see no reason to raise my expectations after that.

You've got too much time on your hands to be writing this much on the sake of the first episode.
Jul 3, 2019 11:09 AM

Nov 2013
SharadCJP said:

You've got too much time on your hands to be writing this much on the sake of the first episode.

I'm pretty sure most people throw away more than 15 minutes a day doing less rational things than writing the most basic of script changes to a screenplay. I sure as hell do.

Still a shorter amount of time spent doing that than what the production team spent making that dumpster fire of a storytelling experience.
Jul 3, 2019 12:00 PM

Aug 2011
Despite Cain being the f***ing traitor which we've certainly not seen that coming from a mile away, the whole concept of "going on a journey to finish off your old colleagues" is quite interesting.
Jul 3, 2019 1:45 PM

Jun 2012
So this is how the American Civil War really happened.
Jul 3, 2019 3:27 PM
Mar 2018
I feel gratified after watching the premiere of this anime! I was afraid that it would turn out as poorly as poorly as fairy gone but it seems that I need not have worried. I am looking forward to how this anime develops.

Jul 3, 2019 4:43 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty solid and entertaining first episode, I just don't know how much a show of this type can do in 12 episodes but I guess we'll just have to see
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jul 3, 2019 6:01 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This is already better than Fairy Gone imo lol, but with that being said, this episode was pretty good.

I appreciated the violence and action scenes and I really dug watching the Icarnates when they had some down time to themselves. Plus they all seemed like pretty cool guys as well, so I didn't dislike any of them

I thought it was pretty fucked up how Elaine planned to essentially go full Euthanasia in regards to the Icarnates since she had no way of curing their insanity, but at the same time, I can kinda understand why she'd do it. Plus she was gonna atone for everything by killing herself anyway

I was expecting the twist at the end to be like Fairy Gone with the best friend dying, but instead he went full psycho, and now the MC is hunting him down, and that in itself is a lot more enticing than the plot of Fairy Gone imo, so I'll be sticking with this for the long run
Jul 3, 2019 6:10 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Rowan_F said:
TheGratefulDead said:

Elaine killing everyone wasn't a 180, she literally was doing it to save her friends.
Plus, about your comment on Hanks' "I have no problem in killing you if you are out of control" motto, we don't know how much has passed since he became a Beast Hunter.

It was two months. It said in the show he was in a coma for two months, and I'm presuming there wasn't much of a gap between him waking up and him fighting lizardman.
As for Elaine. She said she'd been trying to find a way to stop the madness from taking over, but she failed, and this is something she'd kept only between her and Cain. We never see her telling anyone else outside of Cain or Hank, so we can presume no one else knew. So, isn't it a bit extreme to jump immediately to killing everyone before they go mad instead of, like, telling them. Or finding more people to help find a better solution. If we knew more about Elaine, maybe I could buy it, but with how little we know, I'm sorry, all I see is bad characterisation.
If she could have found a better solution, why would she even be considering Euthanasia lol. And in addition to this, you also have to factor in 2 things:

1. Their reputation has been completely tarnished on their own sides due to the fact that they've all been slowly turning insane and murdering their own men

2. The peace treaty - Basically, they were soldiers of war, and due to the damages that they caused to the other side, naturally they'd demand that they all be gotten rid of (Elaine did say that they now have no place in this world). Especially considering the fact that the North would also not want to jeopardize this treaty since they were the ones on the losing end before the Incarnates were created

So with this in mind, it's more likely that if she didn't decide to go the route of Euthanasia (Mercy Killing) then their own military forces would have executed them the same way the very first guy who went insane was executed. The fact that Elaine wanted to kill them all peacefully doesn't go against any characterization for her since this was essentially the only way she could save them from cruel deaths later on
Jul 3, 2019 6:14 PM

Jul 2019
So it's loosely based on the American Civil War? I'm not sure, but it sure looks like it. I actually kind of enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I've been playing Pokemon recently, but I really liked the different transformations. The plot moved very quickly, but the more I thought about it: What is the point of episode 1? It's to set up the rest of the show. The war starting gave them reason to exist. The war ending gave them reason to not be needed. Not being needed made them feel vengeful. Cain harming Elaine gave Hank a reason to start some sort of journey. Characters introduced and killed off quickly, huge plot developments, etc. But none of that was the point of the show, all of that was to set up the real point of the show. The pacing isn't a problem if it only exists for episode 1. I'm going to assume it slows down from here on out.
Jul 3, 2019 7:05 PM
Feb 2019
tbh, I love this first episode. It serve us everything that we need to know and it was easy to understand for me.
eventhough it was fast paced from the beginning with the slideshow and a lot of thing happened, but i think i could understand it since it has only 24 minutes (not over 40 minutes like shield hero in its first episode).

MAPPA Great Again i must say. Just now, i was a little bit comparing this one with Dororo. When Hyakkimaru hunt the demon for his missing organs, Hank hunt his comrades to finish them up. Looking forward for the next episodes.
Jul 4, 2019 4:22 AM

May 2019
Liddo-kun said:
liamhabib said:

Extremely interesting concept, based on Jekyll and Hyde perhaps?

hmm, they do seem to develop a more evil personality as they mutate more into beasts.

Definitely, I just hope the characters are able to develop in a way that won't be generic. It'd be cool to see them affected in different ways

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jul 4, 2019 8:25 AM
Sep 2016
Spindaddy3000 said:
Did anyone else find all the characters in this opener to be incredibly stale? Don't know if this show is going to be for me to be honest, but I'll give it a couple more episodes

Oh, not just me..I gotta be honest too..that and the cheesy expository dialogue. The story beats are so predictable it hurts sometimes.
The moment he just had to specify (for the audience) that this other friend of his was some rich kid and the other 2 were orphans it was so "OK so that guy's a douche and is gonna betray these other two because anime yeah"... I can't wait for the "We were never friends to begin with reeee" talk before the guy gets away to fight another day when they encounter each other.
(not the best in terms of production value either but Ieh..just another season of anime)
Pretty mediocre overall but heyy mafumafu on an anime OP...and I get to turn my brain off and watch people dying.
JudoJDJul 4, 2019 8:45 AM
1.1.Six
Jul 4, 2019 6:15 PM

Jan 2012
Episode started off really meh then got really interesting near the end.
Jul 5, 2019 3:24 AM
Nov 2016
Well, I only added this to my plan to watch because of Mafumafu, considering how choosy I am in both plot and art. I cant say I love it to the core but I did somehow like it. The first episode was a bit rushed but I can somehow understand it considering it is only 12 eps and if the information was added bit by bit, it might exceed the 12 eps. Plus points for the no CGI. It would've been better if they introduced the Incarnates first because Im confused on who the hell Eddie is. Whether I liked it or not, Im not the type to drop animes because Im a firm believer that every story has its own color. Either ways, wish the story wont be too fast paced in the next eps. Although I liked it, it is quite lacking in emotion especially the deaths and the romance between Hank and Elaine. Im intrigued by the plot so looking forward in watching it. And btw, to those who liked the ed song for ep 1 (which will be the anime's op) https://sp.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm35357105 here's the full version posted by the artist himself. He also posted it in youtube, be sure to have English cc (subs) on to understand the song's message. https://youtu.be/boLiYzE3xM8
IlaicaBunny606Jul 6, 2019 6:06 PM
Jul 5, 2019 3:34 AM

Apr 2015
If only MAPPA adapted something with good source material a shame they're wasting the talent they have with this :///
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jul 5, 2019 7:04 AM

Oct 2007
liamhabib said:
Liddo-kun said:

hmm, they do seem to develop a more evil personality as they mutate more into beasts.

Definitely, I just hope the characters are able to develop in a way that won't be generic. It'd be cool to see them affected in different ways

looks like it depends on the personality of the human affected. The snake guy choose to kill himself so as not do bad things, but the chameleon guy shown at the end of the episode started using his power to steal and kill people.
Jul 5, 2019 8:58 AM

Jun 2010
This episode was ok. But I'm only watching because of Mappa.
Jul 5, 2019 7:12 PM

Nov 2011
So we get an episode thats basically a freaking montage with a predictable outcome and a CLEAR cut character who was going to turn against his "friend" haha this anime has everything!

God this episode was so bad but I am intrigued considering how much I liked Killing Bites (Side note this is basically Killing Bites) I am a sucker for these types of bad anime.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jul 6, 2019 7:22 AM

May 2019
Liddo-kun said:
liamhabib said:

looks like it depends on the personality of the human affected. The snake guy choose to kill himself so as not do bad things, but the chameleon guy shown at the end of the episode started using his power to steal and kill people.

That's true, I hope we get to see more dilemmas like that. Maybe even seeing the beasts factioning together

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jul 6, 2019 12:07 PM

May 2019
I really really really enjoyed this. That scene at the end was so epic. I am, without a doubt, gonna follow this show to the end. I want to know what Caine’s motives were. I guess I understand to some degree why MC and his girl (forgot both of their names lol) were content with everyone dying for the sake of the greater good. It was brief but it was mentioned that they were both war orphans and I guess they wanted no one else to end up like them whereas Caine was a rich boy who didn’t really lose much. Idk why Caine did what he did, maybe he’s just a nihilist villain like Takasagi from Gintama but IDK.
Jul 6, 2019 4:03 PM

Jun 2013
I liked the plot so far. Character design reminds me of Fairy Gone and even though Fairy Gone has better animation, I put that series on hold because I was simply not into it. Animation in this series isn't anything stellar but it's still watchable.

I like the concept of them transforming into animals. It sorta reminds me of Terra Formars and Animorphs.

I'll be watching the entire series for this season.
臭い-
Jul 6, 2019 9:16 PM

Jun 2009
the opening episode had more plot then alot of shows have
Jul 7, 2019 5:41 PM

Jul 2016
Biisoo said:
I went in expecting nothing and I absolutely loved the first episode, Plot seems good, Characters seem cool especially the MC and the op is absolute fire!!!
Defo gonna keep watching this one.

I was gthe same. Expected not very much and was pleasantly surprised.
Jul 8, 2019 7:57 AM

Apr 2015
Vindicater said:
Biisoo said:
I went in expecting nothing and I absolutely loved the first episode, Plot seems good, Characters seem cool especially the MC and the op is absolute fire!!!
Defo gonna keep watching this one.

I was gthe same. Expected not very much and was pleasantly surprised.
Glad to see an anime taking me by surprise, Hope it doesnt go downhill along the way.
Jul 8, 2019 8:27 AM

Jul 2017
why doesn't hank lose his sanity
Jul 8, 2019 2:16 PM

Jun 2015
This episode was surprisingly enjoyable, with great animation and sound design. However, this episode is shot full of holes, and is an example of what happens when you don't bother to proofread your rough draft.

-Why is a horde of soldiers, equipped with nothing more than a rifle, charging towards a big fucking wall? If they were trying to breach it from below, they'd need far better utility for this. There has to have been some sensible context for this apart from just introducing the Incarnates.

-Why did nobody bother to shoot the guys in white clothing? They were in plain sight and were doing nothing before transforming.

-No researcher in her right mind would just ignore a potential problem just after her patient says "just kidding."

Apart from those glaring issues, this was a very solid introduction. I would much prefer it to have been expanded to two episodes though, since the pacing here is a big issue as well as many pointed out. It also rubs me the wrong way how these soldiers in the camps act like highschoolers rather than soldiers. Nonetheless, I see a lot of potential here and I'll be sticking around in hopes that more writing issues won't crop up along the way.
Jul 8, 2019 8:18 PM

Nov 2014
kinda cliche
you can tell the mc's friend is a bad guy from the way he looked, his character design is the typical bad guy design
so many twists though, didn't expect the girl to shoot the mc
colorful rounds??

ALSO THE ENDING SONG IS SANG BY MAFUMAFU OMG HE'S MY FAVORITE UTAITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE HIGH NOTES IN THE END GAVE ME GOOSEBUMPS!!!!
ttcchenJul 8, 2019 8:21 PM
Jul 9, 2019 4:09 AM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I liked the art style it felt like how anime in the 80's or 90's looked. I love how they just dove into the action with blood everywhere showing how gruesome this war was. Transformations seemed pretty crazy didn't expect the betrayal by the doctor.The fight scene at the end was really nice looking. Not really a fan of the OP or ED.
Jul 9, 2019 1:50 PM

Dec 2014
What a train-wreck. So they blew through the entire final battle of the war, the war's epilogue, and did a 2 month time-skip. All in the first episode. They skipped over all the world-building and vomited as much shit into the episode as possible. This is gonna suck.

Been a while since I was this shocked by how bad a show was. I expected it to be average and it fell far short of that. Almost nothing in that episode worked.
Jul 9, 2019 10:55 PM
Jan 2019
Uff, man !, but what a good start to this anime. I have not been disappointed at the moment, although I have many questions.
This will be full of action and drama. The animation is not bad, and the story is interesting, also, that, apparently, will have a good plot.
My favorite monster, mythical beast or whatever you want to call it, has always been the "Werewolf", and I like that the protagonist is one.
Damn Cain !, betrayal, brother disappointment. Not only did he betray Hank and the squad, he also killed his beloved>: 'v. Unforgivable!.
Let's see how the story continues, for now, it's on the right track. I hope you do not disappoint me. It will be a pleasure to see this anime with you.
Jul 12, 2019 9:42 PM

Dec 2016
Where's my false rape accusation? That would make this good!!!
Jul 13, 2019 1:11 PM

Jul 2008
Huh. A little Attack on Titan meets American Civil War.
Jul 14, 2019 8:13 AM

Aug 2015
Not a bad start. I wonder if this anime will do good. I usually don't watch war type animes but this one somehow captivates me. I hope it does well and not leave us on a cliffhanger on the very last episode.

Jul 15, 2019 11:18 PM

Jul 2016
Well, that felt rushed as hell. With such fast pacing, this first episode definitely failed at leaving some emotional impact in me.

The use of comedy in this kind of show was also unexpected. Not to mention that it was pretty mediocre if I'm honest.

Overall, it wasn't the best of first episodes but hopefully, the pacing will be handled in a better way in the following ones.
Jul 17, 2019 10:09 PM
Dec 2015
dasisgood said:
is there a website you people watch raw anine on?
you can just download any anime with softsub (.mkv) and turn off the subtitle.
Jul 20, 2019 1:35 AM
Mar 2012
Looks like fairy gone but nicer designs & animation.
Oh breakneck speed pacing. Logan looks great, plus for white hair.
Looks like a traitor, of course Cain Madhouse became villain. Some predictable plot but expected gov to kill the beasts instead, nice twist there.
lol Walrus guy.
Jul 26, 2019 5:44 AM

Dec 2016
another boring lowtier anime
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Jul 27, 2019 7:36 AM

Sep 2015
I was skeptical at first but it turned out to be pretty good. Not too special as of yet but it's definitely above average and different. The concept isn't too unique but the way its executed with enough interesting twist to the old demons and demon hunter stories, that this quickly got me hooked.

This is clearly the US civil war and all that and it is really interesting to see line infantry and musketry in anime which is rare. There really isn't any military can do to effectively stop them until 50 years later where longer range faster firing artillery and aircrafts come in to play.

Elaine was so preoccupied with whether she could, that she didn't stop to think if she should.
zcv45Jul 27, 2019 7:39 AM
Aug 1, 2019 7:00 AM

Jun 2017
Hmm... that was a good start... this might be a good watch, we'll see..
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Aug 3, 2019 5:41 PM

Oct 2013
The evil laugh was a turn off, just reminded me of a 1 dimensional villain. Decent first episode though.
Aug 5, 2019 4:32 AM

Nov 2008
My goodness the amount of self righteous is impressive. I can see why Elaine and Hank also Cain have quite a few detractors. Though the evil big bad in this series at least has a 'reason' for his trope .. survival. Though
so yeah im not sure why there was so much hype this franchise.
Sep 25, 2019 9:20 AM

Jun 2013
Good start, a bit worried to see the rest since the score is quite low
Feb 1, 2020 3:40 PM

Jul 2015
This looks promising, great first episode really got my attention hopefully it doesn't go downhill

Concept of special soldiers using some beast power reminds me of Fairy gone only with a lot better execution, really thought it would be some generic story but this definitely went beyond my expectations, let's see what's next

Mar 29, 2020 3:45 PM

Nov 2013
Nice start, but something is telling me this is gonna suck and suck hard.
Jul 6, 2020 4:19 AM

Aug 2018
I like the ep 1 so much
Started happy and full of glory of Incarnates then the power they had turned out to themselves that it consumes their very human and soul.

This was a great opener the story was interesting so far but i wish they could prolong more the mc's squad development maybe until ep 2 or 3 until they become fully a beasts.

I saw a low rating and bad reviews on this but i dont fricking mind thats not gonna stop me watchin anime that interest me like this.I don't quickly judge anime by its ratings gonna still watch it and decide on my own.
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Aug 13, 2020 7:58 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
THAT WAS AN AWESOME FIRST EPISODE !!!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE XD :)
張大です for 張大勇督察
Sep 23, 2022 6:51 PM
Jan 2019
it was an entire season in 1 episode, done badly. still got fanservice in it though so -1 for that!
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2019

80 by Wolfie_WildeSan »»
Feb 19, 12:01 PM

Poll: » Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2019

72 by Fisher94 »»
Oct 25, 2023 3:26 AM

» Does this anime have nudity in it?

yed123 - Feb 6, 2022

1 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Oct 14, 2023 6:58 PM

» Is the score low just because it is "poorly adapted"

GilgaGOAT - Sep 18, 2019

9 by amf85 »»
Oct 13, 2023 10:37 PM

Poll: » Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2019

40 by PedroKarim64 »»
Dec 15, 2022 3:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.