Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 18, 2019 7:46 AM
Dec 2018
This was a very good season tbh... good story , good character and interesting fight scenes
But i see it has such a low score and the only complaint i've seen is that the manga is better (a dumb reason basically)
So i wanna ask you... did you find anything bad in this show except the fact that the adaptation is not "good"
Sep 18, 2019 11:10 AM
May 2018
I didn't read the manga and I didn't score but my guess why people would score it low is that the show is just kinda meh. The story is predictable and the characters are boring. Each time you see the backstory of an incarnate that isn't Hank you immediately know that they're going to die. The villain doesn't have anything going for him. He's just like "Haha. I'm so smart. I'm so strong. You're all but pawns in my hands." Meanwhile, nothing he does is actually clever, it's just all the other characters that lack thinking abilities. The story of Hank and Schaal is just like Hulk's and Rick Jones' and probably a hundred other ones I don't care to remember. And if you disregard the story the music and the action scenes aren't anything amazing. The animation is nice though.
Sep 18, 2019 11:24 AM

Jun 2015
It's low because one of the 2 main characters is literally there for exposition and to act as a plot device. The other MC has the plot armor level of freaking Kirito. The animation is good but not great. The artstyle is a favorite of mine and might be the best part of the show. It works really well for the monster hunter aspect of the show. The music is pretty good. The real problem is with the story. I legit knew what was gonna happen in episode 12 by episode 5. It's way to predictable and the most of the characters are generic and bland. Hank's motivation to kill his former comrades comes across as unresolved and flawed. The story basically says that it's okay to be a monster as long as you have a human form but if you look like a monster then it doesn't matter if you're sane and sentient you're still gonna die cause u ugly af. I really think that's the part really pissed off a lot of people. The monster outside vs the monster inside theme of the show wasn't done well at all. It would've been a lot better imo if they just threw that shit out the window and went with a simple strategic extermination mission.

just imo
Read Toriko!
Sep 18, 2019 11:25 AM

Jun 2015
Also Schaal is just annoyingin general. If they took her out of the show It would bump up the show's rating by at least 1.
Read Toriko!
Oct 23, 2019 4:39 AM

Oct 2008
I liked the anime, didn't love it, but the problem with it in my opinion is, They didn't focus enough on the two mc's. They gave the necessary information on the targets, which was boring and not enough on why Hank was leader, why villain is jealous and of whom. What was that forbidden technology and is Hank's beloved alive or not. By the way this is what annoyed me the most, the manga was not compelling but at least was more atmospheric, the anime is supposed to be dark fantasy, why was there no tension, no cruelty and no burning passion for slaughter. What it had was despair, confusion, down graded PTSD and some flimsy revenge. Also Hank's duty, to kill them if they lose themselves, was halfassed and I found myself rooting for his enemy more than him.
Nov 11, 2019 7:54 PM
Sep 2017
The score isn't low. The show is just incredibly average but it actually has an above average score. It has many of the tired tropes of seen often in anime and doesn't do anything particularly interesting or unique.
Nov 17, 2019 1:06 PM

Oct 2017
Just finished it and I can understand why it has a lower score, but I have to disagree with some of the criticisms in this thread.

Everything in this show is above average bar the plot which is very average. Perhaps even cliche, certainly so in execution. But the art style is fantastic. Nailed the US civil war era asthetic really well. After Dororo and now this I really want to see MAPPA handle something with more potential.

The themes regarding soldiers losing their sanity after war had some meat to it, but the actual plot was too bland and predictable, and the two main chracters could have used a bit more development. Mainly Schaal. I think Hank is great. A little one-dimensional maybe in terms of personality, but that's the idea - he's focused on one thing and that's eliminating his former comrades to free them of their fate to become monsters. I think it's a shame the anime didn't focus more on how that's a morally grey objective, which wasn't helped by the far too comically evil and simple villain which made it seem too much like a good guy / bad guy thing.

The incarnates stories were hit and miss. Schaal's father, the giant dude trying to reach the ocean, and the siren were all good. The rest were varying degrees of meh. To honest I found it less interesting the more it got to the main plot. I thought the early episodes were the best parts, watching Schaal and Hanks relationship grow alongside a monster of the week.

Also, a personal issue for me was the dynamic of having a male/female main pair but completely ignoring the possibilty of a good romance subplot. It would have added another dimension to the story which it sorely needed because it was very one-note throughout. If it's not going to go that route, it could have made more of a point of Hank being hung up on Elaine. But instead, fans of romance subplots were left in limbo watching this, not knowing what direction the show was really going with the two characters.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Nov 29, 2019 5:03 AM
Apr 2015
Adaptation not bad they adapt story so well
but the big mistake they change some small detail about charecters
Also also anime was need 24 episode not 12
May 7, 2021 5:50 AM
Mar 2019
TGAvi said:
Adaptation not bad they adapt story so well
but the big mistake they change some small detail about charecters
Also also anime was need 24 episode not 12

Ya, pretty much spot on, which is kind of a shame since I like the manga.
Oct 13, 2023 10:37 PM
Jan 2009
It's...Ok, but the show doesn't make you want to watch the next episode. Some shows you can't put down, others you struggle to finish just because you don't like to stop in the middle. This is the latter.

Also, there is no attempt to explain power variations or even main character motivations. Why are the incarnates able to take on entire armies without a scratch, but easily defeated by a single squad of guys later? Why do the two main characters not get corrupted by their incarnate abilities, but the rest do, except for the obvious plot purposes? If they could be defeated by a spear with a grenade attached, why didn't anyone defeat them before?

But the real problem is that the show is 95% monster of the week, and you're left wanting to skip episodes to get to the real plot, which barely even shows up.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2019

80 by Wolfie_WildeSan »»
Feb 19, 12:01 PM

Poll: » Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2019

72 by Fisher94 »»
Oct 25, 2023 3:26 AM

» Does this anime have nudity in it?

yed123 - Feb 6, 2022

1 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Oct 14, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2019

40 by PedroKarim64 »»
Dec 15, 2022 3:37 PM

Poll: » Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2019

128 by ratspa300 »»
Nov 7, 2022 11:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.