Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 12, 2019 6:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Really cool OP song. I like style mostly with the main characters in it. The guns, cards, etc is also pretty distinctive.

We are introduced to Kaguya and Shirogane from the start as the school admires them. Main selling point for me so far is the witty conversation and character interaction. Kaguya and Shirogane brings out the best from this. Very happy to see Chika show up this episode too! She's absolutely adorable.

The mind games, humor, hell..even the music. Wonderful start.

Stark700Jan 12, 2019 8:15 AM
Jan 12, 2019 7:00 AM

Apr 2015
Okay so the first episode just aired in Japan and all I can say is the directing is top-tier, feels like something out of SHAFT (Most of the staff were from SHAFT)

It adapted three chapters and perfectly fit them without dragging or opting out any information while adding it's own touch, I am so happy with that.

Directing is really good and it managed to make me chuckle more than the manga.

In the end, it seems that they are able to reach that famous chapter 45 with just skipping a few chapters that might be hard to adapt into anime.

Perfect 5/5 start.
Jan 12, 2019 7:02 AM

Apr 2015
Yup this was a perfect adaptation, no they even went further beyond that. It was a visually feast that just brings out such a great level of enjoyment.

I never doubted Omata but to see him pull out his experiences from his times at SHAFT to such a degree is just phenomenal. Easily my favourite premiere and the most visually pleasing...which is high praise in a season that also features Mob Psycho.
Jan 12, 2019 7:03 AM

Oct 2015
what a perfect adaptation . This, Mob , YNN have the best first episode in this year.

Last credit scene with Kaguya in it is also pretty cute <3
Jan 12, 2019 7:04 AM

Sep 2014
Lel dat OP sounds like from the 70's

Good start. Love Kaguya's death stare.

Looking forward to the next part :D

Jan 12, 2019 7:17 AM
Aug 2016
Absoilutely great adaptation,I was thinking only Mob this season will have this level of care but turns out Kaguya was too!Damn,thank you anime gods!
Jan 12, 2019 7:22 AM

Jan 2016
The manga rom-com of the decade finally has its adaptation! What a great start!
The VA's are perfect and so is the atmosphere, this will be fun.
Jan 12, 2019 7:30 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty great start and super refreshing compared to most rom-coms, I dig.

I'm very pleased with the tone, how amusing the mind games are and by the narrator. Definitely AOTS material.

Ah and the opening is also very cool, especially the crazy visuals.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 12, 2019 7:40 AM
Nov 2016
Being that this is produced by A-1 Pictures, I was a bit wary. After watching the first episode, I was completely satisfied. Really hope they give this gem a good adaptation because this was better than I actually thought it’d be.
Jan 12, 2019 7:54 AM

Apr 2015
calamariqueen said:
Being that this is produced by A-1 Pictures, I was a bit wary. After watching the first episode, I was completely satisfied. Really hope they give this gem a good adaptation because this was better than I actually thought it’d be.

It usually is a hit when A1 gets good staff and the source material being really good
Jan 12, 2019 7:55 AM

Apr 2015
calamariqueen said:

I mean you're on MAL. One quick glance to the staff section could've told you that the creative leads on this are more than capable of bringing the manga to live.
Jan 12, 2019 8:27 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Goddammit! I really want to watch it right now really much, but I want to save it for eating time too... FUCK!

HYPED, very hyped, that 2 min teaser video promised alot, and seems like it doesnt disappointed jugding by comments~~
Jan 12, 2019 8:33 AM

Dec 2017
well, best romcom of the season right here. fucking hilarious interactions and teasing from both sides. and A-1 has done a marvelous job with this production level, different camera rotations and POVs, and animation in general looks really well done
really loving this show so far
Jan 12, 2019 8:40 AM

Dec 2014
This is absolutely fantastic. I wasn't expecting this to be this good. XD

Love the main couple already, I genuinely wish they were more honest with each other. Kinda makes me feel bad for them because they're so prideful. xD
Chika is adorable too.

The OP is fire, the production is great. Lot of unique style in every scene, especially when playing out the characters' thoughts and the narration. A1 outdid themselves here.

I love how Kaguya and Miyuki kinda inadvertently tease each other while their actual motives are something completely different. xD
This is just super fun overall, really looking forward to more.
Jan 12, 2019 8:42 AM

Jan 2018
Still can't get used to Shirogane's voice why they have to assign that shit bald's seiyuu to him. Other than that really good episode.

Btw, are they going to adopt till that fireworks arc or will they keep it one cour?
Jan 12, 2019 8:44 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This is the most amusing romcom I have ever seen xD

The lengths that Kaguya and Shirogane go through to avoid confessing to the other person is nothing short of ridiculous and I fucking love it LOLOLOLOLOL

And this poor student council girl that's stuck in between them doesn't have a single clue as to what's going on either xDDD Man I was dying when Kaguya was pretty much ready to disown her existence over this damn bento box situation LMFAO

This is gonna be a fun ride....Glad to see that it's being adapted great too
Jan 12, 2019 8:52 AM

Sep 2012

Finally, it's here. My favorite romcom.

Congintive said:
Btw, are they going to adopt till that fireworks arc or will they keep it one cour?

One cour but from the looks of it, they will skip some arcs to reach firework arc. For example, they will skip the movie arc.
Jan 12, 2019 8:55 AM

Jan 2018
sasalx said:

Congintive said:

One cour but from the looks of it, they will skip some arcs to reach firework arc. For example, they will skip the movie arc.

Well, since it's mostly episodic it'll be no wonder if they skip some ch.
Jan 12, 2019 8:56 AM

Feb 2017
This was fantastic. I knew it would be good when I saw staff, but I think this exceeded my expectations.

Only thing that irritated me were the subs. Like hearing Kaguya saying "President" but subs said "Shirogane" or her saying "Fujiwara" but subs saying "Chika".

Also, Kaguya was insulting Fujiwara when she said that flowers bloom in that "boy's" head, There wasn't any boy to begin with and Kaguya knew that. I really hope subs get better in future episodes.
Jan 12, 2019 8:57 AM

Jul 2016
Great episode. I like the visuals and that catchy OP. Excited for next episode.

Jan 12, 2019 8:58 AM

Apr 2015
Congintive said:
sasalx said:

Well, since it's mostly episodic it'll be no wonder if they skip some ch.

The chapters that will be skipped most likely are the ones that never get referred to again, but I wish some of them such as the Cockroach chapter does not get skipped
Jan 12, 2019 8:59 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Production quality is way too much for a romcom, this is amazing! Directing is on-point, as expected from Rakugo's director. Interesting camera angles keeps the conversations interesting and engaging. A-1 is putting their A-game here and I love it. The OP is perfect! It's basically a shoujo OP, but those weapons make you question otherwise. Love the old-school song itself too.

The VA's are also really good. I had my doubts before, but they sound pretty fitting here. That part where Shirogane taped up the broken pencil, only for him to break it again, had me laughing good. Can't wait for some glorious Ishigami moments! My man even suffers in the OP.

GoldenDevilGamerJan 12, 2019 9:22 AM
Jan 12, 2019 9:01 AM

Dec 2014
Loved every second of it. Amazing adaption so far of one of the best manga and probably best rom com I've read so far.
Jan 12, 2019 9:04 AM

Jan 2017
Hopefully there will be a gradual development in this series, cause I feel like their attitudes might get annoying after few episodes of the same thing. Also I hope they will tone down on the narrator a little, he probably had the most lines in this episode.
Jan 12, 2019 9:04 AM

Sep 2017
um... I guess I'm just too old for this kind of humour. The production is not bad though.
Jan 12, 2019 9:07 AM

Dec 2014
I'm so happy.

Got up early (at least for me) to watch this and now I can go back to sleep in peace. Expected Shaftiness, but not this much which is a great thing. There's always something going on.
I need sleep.
Jan 12, 2019 9:08 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
animejas said:

The opening wasn't as good for me personally compared to other people's opinions due to the song, but the visuals still look good.

Same here, I didn’t live the song much but the amazing visuals were great to have!

Honestly, so far, it’s probably been the most intriguing Rom-Com series I have had the pleasure of watching!

God, just the concept of the whole love is war is hilarious and the excellent direction along with the brilliant narration just makes it even better! Kaguya is super sweet, that last segment where she won was cho-very hilarious xD. Shirogane’s been really fun to keep up with too, lol he almost gave it away in the second part when Kaguya received that love letter though. It’s amazing how far these two will go to such lengths only to make the other confess first, god I love this! And then there’s Chika the dimwit, lol. Animation has been top notch too, so great all in all! A-1 Pictures have delivered this first episode and I hope they keep it up for the entirety of the season! Op was an interest choice, not the biggest of it just yet but I can see myself falling for it over a couple of weeks or so.

Lol, the narrators first few lines there really made me wonder how much the narrator’s got to have love affairs xD. It almost made me feel bad, actually.

Really looking forward to more of this brilliance! I was hoping for an anime this season to be like Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet of last season’s and I’m more than satisfied to have this fill in that role!

Fixed double posting, Barnald
BarnaldJan 16, 2019 7:23 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 12, 2019 9:11 AM

Aug 2013
great start I enjoyed it a lot that I thought I would be

how cute
Jan 12, 2019 9:14 AM

Jan 2015
Not what I was expecting

I thought it would be something more serious

I don’t know, I think it might get repetitive
Nov 2018
Already loving this anime. Kaguya seems to be more prideful and stuck up than the guy though. Like just the way they go about describing her personality makes her look like an ugly person tbh. Girl almost distanced her friend just because she wanted some of bento. Also did anyone else get Food Wars vibes when they were eating the bento?
Jul 2018
holiday498 said:
Hopefully there will be a gradual development in this series, cause I feel like their attitudes might get annoying after few episodes of the same thing. Also I hope they will tone down on the narrator a little, he probably had the most lines in this episode.

CHC said:
um... I guess I'm just too old for this kind of humour. The production is not bad though.

Same tbh, guess I am too old for this stuff too, also don't really understand what's so great about this humour. Two tsundere people teasing each other which gets quickly boring(yes I read the manga chapters of kaguya and dropped after a while).

Xenocrisi said:
Not what I was expecting

I thought it would be something more serious

I don’t know, I think it might get repetitive

I read 20 something chapters and that was true really, at least for me.
Jan 12, 2019 9:15 AM

Jul 2012
Holy hell! Gotta take all my words back, i was so afraid about the VA, but after actually watching-seeing and hearing how it came out that was amazing!!! I'm so happy! Still a bit not sold on Shirogane's voice, but to the end already got used to it!
Fujiwara the mvp of the episode! Chaos theory!
The OP the weirdest thing so far... looks really interesting.
And already a glimpse of Hayasaka <3

allenjkeJan 12, 2019 9:21 AM
Jan 12, 2019 9:18 AM

Jun 2016
Having been following and loving the manga for such a long time, this first episode was fantastic! Although I couldn't recall exactly which three chapters were adapted, the transition from paper to TV screen just blew me away. I'm just so thrilled that they didn't mess anything up.

The OP was definitely interesting and really hinted at what we were in for. The artwork was great, and I really liked how different angles were used to add to the immersion and keep things fresh. I still have to get used to Prez's voice, but everyone else sounded exactly as I would've thought when I was reading the manga. On a side note, subject F will always be subject F haha

I was really excited for Kaguya's "How cute" line, and was a bit surprised that it was different each time she said it. All those blushing moments were really nice, and that Kaguya drooling had me laughing so hard!

Seems like Hayasaka made an appearance at the end there. Can't wait for the next episode!
Jan 12, 2019 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS TO GET ADAPTED FOR SO LONG AND IT'S SO FREAKING GOOD I CAN'T STOP SCREAMING
Jan 12, 2019 9:24 AM

Aug 2012
This is so good. I love the humour. Seeing Kaguya's expressions makes feel all tingly inside. lol
Jan 12, 2019 9:25 AM

Jan 2018
Loved the production and the OP

But I am not that into the battle of the mind section it might be because I have been expecting some romantic advancement from the get go I hope it doesn't become repetitive for me
I want to get to used to it from the looks of the comments it's a good rom-com
Jan 12, 2019 9:25 AM
Mar 2017
I was expecting them to maybe screw it up like many adaptations, but it's so damn good. This is a really good season for manga adaptations.
Jan 12, 2019 9:26 AM

Sep 2017
This was fantastic. Great directing, super hilarious and cute. I just knew I'd love this from the premise, so I'm really glad how this first episode turned out. This won't be a full series since the manga seems to still be publishing, but I feel this series could easily hit Toradora levels of romcom greatness for me.

Still gotta say it's slightly annoying how the crunchyroll subs translate 'kaichou' as the dudes name, i.e. Shirogane, instead of just president or pres or something. But whats really frustrating is translating Fujiwara-san as Chika. Like m8, it's first name versus last name and in Japan there's a big difference between what you use when referring to someone. As a translator I'm sure you know this. At least use Fujiwara if for some reason you think the weebs that actually pay to use your damn service won't understand or will be intimidated away by seeing "-san" at the end of a name. Ffs.
Jan 12, 2019 9:29 AM

Aug 2012
who wrote this piece of crap? First off there is also the element of time. she has way less time than him so she will lose anyway. So unless she confesses she will become a crazy cat lady like she deserves. Also the two are completely retarded not geniuses.
Jan 12, 2019 9:36 AM
Mar 2017
ProofByColor said:

Still gotta say it's slightly annoying how the crunchyroll subs translate 'kaichou' as the dudes name, i.e. Shirogane, instead of just president or pres or something. But whats really frustrating is translating Fujiwara-san as Chika.

It's even worse when you take into account that (without giving any spoilers) the way they call eachother comes into play later, so both of those dumb translating choices are definitely going to come back to bite them in the ass.
Jan 12, 2019 9:40 AM

Sep 2017
Gnop2 said:

It's even worse when you take into account that (without giving any spoilers) the way they call eachother comes into play later, so both of those dumb translating choices are definitely going to come back to bite them in the ass.

I haven't read this but I figured something like that would happen as they become closer. Ah well, I should be able to pick it up by ear anyway.
Jan 12, 2019 9:41 AM

Apr 2016
Watching and smiling, so, it's promising.

Fujiwara best queen of chaos of course and I must say I love the red eyes of Kaguya, particularly at the end of the episode.
Jan 12, 2019 9:55 AM

Aug 2013
Hahahaa. And people complained about Gabriel Dropout subs.
This is just pathetic. But dumb Americans and other brainlets needs this kind of garbage localization I guess.
And no, it's not only about their names and not going with "president" (for whatever reason).

Gnop2 said:

Don't worry, they'll write something funny.

Mentar said:

So, I can only hope that some real fansub group picks this show up and provides proper subs. This show deserves them.

Nah, GJM is going to sub it, so don't have high hopes for it. They are usually doing the same thing.

Ps. It's not CR's translation, they recieved it from aniplex.
rsc-plJan 12, 2019 10:11 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 12, 2019 10:00 AM

Jan 2009
Excellent start. The VAs are absolutely spot-on, and even manga readers who have gone through the show more than 10 times (like me) can still find some extra nuggets of gold.

(Thinking of Kaguya's adorable NO! to forfeiting the movie ticket preparations)

The only downside is the deplorable quality of the Crunchyroll subs. First is this horrible tendency to change Japanese name suffixes into western-style first-name talk (turning Fujiwara-san into Chika). FFS, this is a hyper-elite japanese school, stop westernizing it where it doesn't belong. This is especially jarring since this will become a topic in a later chapter where this naming becomes important.

But the primary crime is to change _the_ show's trademark line "How cute!" into something different. Seriously, what the f*ck are you thinking, Crunchyroll? Is it too much to ask your translator to respect the fan culture which has already developed, or is this your way to spit into their faces along with the scanlators'? To top it off, my Japanese is novice-level at best, but there were several translations which seemed quite off to me.

So, I can only hope that some real fansub group picks this show up and provides proper subs. This show deserves them.
Jan 12, 2019 10:05 AM

Sep 2015
Kaguya Sama has an amazing anime adaptation. The dramatization of scenes that help transition to the hilarious Chika bits. The stylistic choices that come with every scene. It is beautifully executed! The anime adaptation made me fall in love with the series again! I can easily tell the staff put lots of love in this work to make it as great as possible. Even when I was kind of worn out of the humor in rereading the early chapters of the manga, the anime made the battles refreshing & hilarious again. Bless the gods to the staff!

My Saturday mornings are gonna be immensely wholesome for the next 11 weeks. The only complaint I have about Kaguya Sama is not related to the show itself, but the inevitable decision that Aniplex will make the North American Blu-Ray releases expensive as hell. I'd pay for a BD of this after being strongly/positively impressed with this adaptation, but not for over hundreds of dollars. ;_;
Jan 12, 2019 10:06 AM

Aug 2013
I went in with no real expectations at all, but i'm really happy i decided to give this a try!

it was such a fun episode!! i can't wait to see what the rest of the episodes have in store for us
Jan 12, 2019 10:14 AM

Jun 2017
Great start to a great anime! I have been waiting anxiously for this when it was announced and it's finally here. First of all that op is AMAZING! It's so catchy and it fits so well! This first episode was bounds better than the corresponding manga chapters! I'm excited for the future arcs that the anime will cover! Normally, being a manga reader would lessen the enjoyment since you know what's going to happen, but it is not the case here. I was laughing even harder than I did when reading the manga! I can't wait a week for the next episode! I NEED IT NOW!

Best anime dance ever fight me
Jan 12, 2019 10:29 AM

Mar 2013
Holy fuck, I love the style of this. It has a really sweet feeling to it and is also pretty funny. Both the protagonists are nice. Kaguya is super cute - perfect voice, perfect appearance
Jan 12, 2019 10:29 AM

Oct 2013
YES! IT WAS ADAPTED VERY WELL! ANIMATION, NARRATIVE, MUSIC, VOICE ACTING IS PERFECTION! THANK HEAVENS! :D
Jan 12, 2019 10:35 AM
Feb 2012
this is definately a romcom written for the male demographic
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2019

296 by Intter »»
Apr 14, 11:26 AM

» Misattribution of arousal

egosumjohn - Apr 7

11 by Aruhaya »»
Apr 14, 11:13 AM

» I laugh as hard in this series as gintama 🤣

Jannie7 - Mar 31

38 by xDemi »»
Apr 1, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2019

246 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2019

260 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.