Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 27, 2018 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Time for some goblin slaying fighting against the goblins!

Surprisingly good amount of violence this episode especially with Kirito. In some classic SAO moments, Kirito is able to fight that goblin regardless the circumstances and I think it's one of those moments that defines him as a character. Good to see they made it out of that hellhole alive.

I'm rather still curious about how far they'll develop Kirito's relationship with the others this season.
Oct 27, 2018 8:26 AM

Nov 2007
Kirito guy instructing Eugeo guy to fight them via sword, which he never done it. Eugeo guy did his best, and protect Kirito guy.

Kirito guy remembered that time, and got the leader. After they ran away, he called the sister girl to save him. Needing dangerous treatment to save him. The soul of Alice girl came to talk to them when it's done.

It seems like Eugeo guy is well. It seems like that moment was like an imagination.

Continuing with cutting the tree, then Kirito guy is able to cut the most of it off now with what happened before in the cave. Eugeo guy wanting him to teach him sword fighting. He calls it "Eincrad style", huh. Eugeo guy finished cutting the tree.

Celebration since their mission is done. Eugeo guy gets a chance to choose next mission. He chose to be a swordman and one day to save Alice girl. He also wants sister girl to wait for him.

(Long? as I heard it's the longest arc ever) Journey begins.
tsubasaloverOct 27, 2018 9:02 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 27, 2018 9:55 AM
Dec 2011
What a lovely episode. So awesome!!!!!! I'm really loving Alicization so far!!!! :)
Oct 27, 2018 9:59 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Interesting episode the fight against the goblins was intense and tough even with Kirito's memories. It was interesting in seeing how close Kirito was going to get crushed though. Still a pretty close fight but im glad that all three made it out. Wanting to learn the way of the sword to rescue the girl that serves as your greatest regret huh great motivation. The feast was a nice touch though and perfect for celebrating the end of the cedar. Its nice that Eugeo and Selka had that talk. Looks like the capital is next and the academy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2018 10:01 AM

Jun 2016
They made a few changes and cut somethings too like eugeo vs jink but overall it was a good adaptation considering they had a lot of content to cover with just an episode.

Im still salty they made eugeo shout selka's name when he didnt in the light novel and people started calling him useless, but i hope they can look past that and see how amazing he is as a character now that his development is beginning.
Oct 27, 2018 10:01 AM

Dec 2010
Good episode, nice pacing, epic fight. It's just hit me how lonely Eugeo must've been, losing both Alice and Kirito. Glad they're back together now.
Oct 27, 2018 10:05 AM

Apr 2016
Amazing episode. The fights looked very good.

Next episode it seems that we'll be back in real world..

Oct 27, 2018 10:09 AM
Jun 2016
Loved the swordplay in this episode. Though the moments were nothing but cliches or all to predictable, I loved every single one of the scenes in this episode.
Oct 27, 2018 10:14 AM

Jan 2009
love the sakuga fight scenes in this episode, Kirito almost died too
Oct 27, 2018 10:15 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The fight, Eugeo cutting the tree after his hard work, that was so awesome.

Never have i looked forward to SAO episodes before, i feel like a mark (wrestling term) at the moment.
Oct 27, 2018 10:19 AM

Jan 2009
Seretical said:
very disappointed. light novel readers will get what i mean. it is really hard to count just how many important scenes they cut out of this episode. there was literally an entire duel when eugeo said he wanted to be a swordsman to the village that was just straight up cut out. and right when they left the village there was meant to be an important scene with the previous generations gigas cedar carver handing something important on to them. they literally just covered the entire first book in four episodes. honestly go read the novel because at this rate the anime is going to be a big waste of time and you'll be left wondering "....well what was so good that the light novel readers were going on about?"

anime adaptations are like advertisement to the source material like the light novels anyway so expect shortcuts or a lot of details left out
Oct 27, 2018 10:21 AM
Jan 2018
at least we know now its not just a game , kitro actually feels real pain unlike anicrad but actual real life pain , it feels like somethings messing though ,

how did eugeo suddenly remember , or what that thing on kitros back was or why all of a sudden egueo wants to wield a sword
Oct 27, 2018 10:24 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Where did A1 get the budget to produce this art and animation lol

The fight scenes and sword play were absolutely STUNNING and man that Goblin fight was too awesome.....Yeah it was obvious that Kirito and Eugeo would survive but man was it nice to see Kirito actually have a hard time (And even lose first too....My guy was pretty much dead if not for Eugeo saving him)

I was shook to see blood though, I had no idea that things would be this realistic and graphic in terms of damage and body parts being cut off....I'm even more excited to see how heated the combat and fights will be in this series now

Also I'm proud of Eugeo for finally learning how to fight with a sword and seeing him cut down that tree made me smile (Pretty nice how both he and Kirito leveled up from that Goblin encounter) but I'm highkey bugged out that he and Kirito STILL don't remember each other even though we got so close to it finally happening xD
TokoyaOct 27, 2018 10:29 AM
Oct 27, 2018 10:26 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Seretical said:
very disappointed. light novel readers will get what i mean. it is really hard to count just how many important scenes they cut out of this episode. there was literally an entire duel when eugeo said he wanted to be a swordsman to the village that was just straight up cut out. and right when they left the village there was meant to be an important scene with the previous generations gigas cedar carver handing something important on to them. they literally just covered the entire first book in four episodes. honestly go read the novel because at this rate the anime is going to be a big waste of time and you'll be left wondering "....well what was so good that the light novel readers were going on about?"
Your first post on the forum is you bitching that they cut out some things? Lmao from what the other guy said above it doesn't even seem as bad as you are trying to make it out to be
Oct 27, 2018 10:30 AM

Apr 2017
Seretical said:

God it's an ADAPTATION!! Do u want them to copy word by word ? Light Novel and Anime are different media, expect some adaptations. I don't read the LN and still the whole ep felt nice paced, real danger (even knowing that they would survive), and a nice setup for what's coming. Don't be that type of "fanboy" that shits because something was cut out plz. Appreciate that gorgeous fight that u can't see while reading the LN ;)
Oct 27, 2018 10:31 AM
Jun 2016
I loved this episode especially that it wasn't kirito that took down the tree :>
Oct 27, 2018 10:32 AM

Dec 2014
Tokoya said:

Exactly, What the hell happening? In a 4 cour show nonetheless.

Damn, how is this so good? I honestly can't believe Alicization is this good. It's like the LN readers were right all along. XD
Awesome episode overall.

The action sequences were stunning, flashy and extremely well animated and the art is so crisp. It's almost movie tier production. A1 are going all out.
I'm actually loving the fact that Kirito is actually struggling a bit, the part where he got hit and struggled with his hands trembling was so real, I loved it. It's making these fights a lot more compelling.

I was't expecting the blood and gore as well given in the past it's always been more gamified but I loved it, I'm genuinely happy that this seems more like a high-fantasy show with rpg like elements than an rpg with fantasy mixed in.

Was nice to see Eugeo's training and eventually see him cut down the demon tree.
I guess technically, the story is just beginning now and I can't wait to see more, I haven't been this excited for SAO content in years.
Oct 27, 2018 10:33 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Kaiser_Senpai said:
Seretical said:

God it's an ADAPTATION!! Do u want them to copy word by word ? Light Novel and Anime are different media, expect some adaptations. I don't read the LN and still the whole ep felt nice paced, real danger (even knowing that they would survive), and a nice setup for what's coming. Don't be that type of "fanboy" that shits because something was cut out plz. Appreciate that gorgeous fight that u can't see while reading the LN ;)
There's hope for these forums yet....Well said! I can't like or second this post enough
Oct 27, 2018 10:34 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was pretty cool in terms of action. I was wondering how much time passed when Eugeo was training with Kirito. And that wrapped brown cloth item Kirito was holding, is that what I think it is? Aside from that everything seems to be taking its' time to get the the location where the 'girl' is waiting for them on top Cathedral Tower.
Oct 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Nov 2016
There they are again, Kiritos skills with the sword. Gotta say that the scene looked very cool, even if the animation itself was nothing to write home about, in combination with the way the shots were taken and the effects, it still managed to look awesome.

And holy shit, the tree is down, didn't expect them to succeed this fast.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 27, 2018 10:38 AM
Jan 2018
Lelouch0202 said:
Tokoya said:

Damn, how is this so good? I honestly can't believe Alicization is this good. It's like the LN readers were right all along. XD
Awesome episode overall.

The action sequences were stunning, flashy and extremely well animated and the art is so crisp. It's almost movie tier production. A1 are going all out.
I'm actually loving the fact that Kirito is actually struggling a bit, the part where he got hit and struggled with his hands trembling was so real, I loved it. It's making these fights a lot more compelling.

I was't expecting the blood and gore as well given in the past it's always been more gamified but I loved it, I'm genuinely happy that this seems more like a high-fantasy show with rpg like elements than an rpg with fantasy mixed in.

Was nice to see Eugeo's training and eventually see him cut down the demon tree.
I guess technically, the story is just beginning now and I can't wait to see more, I haven't been this excited for SAO content in years.

im gonna guess and say that the movie covered it
Oct 27, 2018 10:38 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
AyumiVk said:
They made a few changes and cut somethings too like eugeo vs jink but overall it was a good adaptation considering they had a lot of content to cover with just an episode.

Im still salty they made eugeo shout selka's name when he didnt in the light novel and people started calling him useless, but i hope they can look past that and see how amazing he is as a character now that his development is beginning.
Oct 27, 2018 10:40 AM
Oct 2017
if the notch in the tree was facing them, the tree should have fallen towards them
Oct 27, 2018 10:44 AM

Jul 2014
That was movie tier animation right there, where the hell did that come from? I wasnt expecting that in a 4 cour series at all.

I cant remember how many times I kept thinking "Stop being a pussy Eugio" at least this time he probably wont be anymore.
The ep was so fcking cliche I cringed almost throughout the ep.

All in all its still a good episode cause of the sakuga.
Oct 27, 2018 10:44 AM

Jul 2017
Lelouch0202 said:
Tokoya said:

Awesome episode overall.

Damn. 4 episodes in and NOT a single once did the enjoyment wager away that sheer hate that SAO had from the start. Simply the best arc and the best SAO has ever been.
Oct 27, 2018 10:49 AM

Jun 2016
@Tokoya

I have read the ln a few years ago so i may miss some things:
Oct 27, 2018 10:51 AM

Apr 2015
Seretical said:

I get your sentiment that you want to see every single scene in this but it's still a book to anime adaptation.

Look, I'm not a fan of cut scenes myself but I can see where it's necessary.

The Eugeo vs Jink duel is not that much of a tragic loss and Jink was already put into his place earlier by Kirito. I get it, a demonstration would've been awesome but after 5 episodes ( 4 with one double length ) it really was about time that we finish Volume 9.

About the Gigas Cedar scene. C'mon you really believe they will just leave it at that. When the time comes, they'll refer back to it. It's hard to miss what Kirito is carrying around after all. The adaptation clearly loves to keep some things a mystery for a while so do not flip your shit already pls.

Oct 27, 2018 10:52 AM

Aug 2013
Awesome episode. Loved the fight scene with the Goblin.

The demon tree is finally down. Nice to see Eugeo learning how to use the sword.

Oct 27, 2018 10:52 AM

Jun 2016
-Stray said:
That was movie tier animation right there, where the hell did that come from? I wasnt expecting that in a 4 cour series at all.

I cant remember how many times I kept thinking "Stop being a pussy Eugio" at least this time he probably wont be anymore.

As he said in the episode, he never used a sword before and his entire life was peaceful until that moment, what the hell did you want him to do? To be off character and slay every goblin that appeared in front of him?
When characters are unrealistic and op people complain but when they are realistic they complain even more lmao, i cant seriously
Oct 27, 2018 11:00 AM
Aug 2018
Gosh that was an awesome episode and at least Kirito didn't just 1 hit the tree xD
Besides that, does anyone also think that even tho Eugeo was the one to cut the tree, it was Kirito who taught him about the sword and basically everything else on it and I think that he should have gotten at least a bit of credit no?
Oct 27, 2018 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
AyumiVk said:
-Stray said:

As he said in the episode, he never used a sword before and his entire life was peaceful until that moment, what the hell did you want him to do? To be off character and slay every goblin that appeared in front of him?
When characters are unrealistic and op people complain but when they are realistic they complain even more lmao, i cant seriously

I dont give a crap if he hasnt used a damn sword yet, he keeps freaking out and screaming like a damn baby, not everyone freaks out even if its their first time, he's being a pussy thats that.

And I dont even get why you'd mention the last part to me, I dont complain when a character is OP or emotionless cause I prefer that over a pussy character.
Oct 27, 2018 11:02 AM

Oct 2012
The episode was pretty good except for 2 details:

Oct 27, 2018 11:04 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
AyumiVk said:
@Tokoya

I'm grateful for whatever you remember man, it's cool

Oct 27, 2018 11:06 AM

Jul 2017
Nice episode. Fight looked awesome and well animated throughout.
Oct 27, 2018 11:06 AM
Oct 2018
How do you pronounce Eugeo's name? I know they say it a bunch of times, but it still sounds mixed to me.

Is it like a fast Yu-Gi-Oh with the "Gi" sounding like a "Ji"?
Oct 27, 2018 11:08 AM

Jun 2016
-Stray said:
AyumiVk said:

I dont give a crap if he hasnt used a damn sword yet, he keeps freaking out and screaming like a damn baby, not everyone freaks out even if its their first time, he's being a pussy thats that.

And I dont even get why you'd mention the last part to me, I dont complain when a character is OP or emotionless cause I prefer that over a pussy character.

He didnt shout in the light novel, it was a change they made in the anime.
And well, alright. I dont even know what to answer to that last part lol
Oct 27, 2018 11:16 AM

Feb 2013
The fight was great, I missed seeing one in SAO.
And the tree was also cut, now it's time to go after Alice.
Oct 27, 2018 11:17 AM

Nov 2011
Now they can finally leave the village and do some serious shit. I am looking forward to see how other places look like.

Inb4 they cut into real world.

Oct 27, 2018 11:18 AM

Jun 2016
Tokoya said:
AyumiVk said:
@Tokoya

Oct 27, 2018 11:19 AM
Jan 2018
KaiserNazrin said:
Now they can finally leave the village and do some serious shit. I am looking forward to see how other places look like.

Inb4 they cut into real world.

you just remained me to start SSS.Gridman (the photos ) im guessing that the girl is from sss.gridman sorry if its not
Oct 27, 2018 11:23 AM

Jul 2013
That fight against the goblins was some good shit. Better of what I remember from previous SAO fights.
Glad the demon tree is finally down and we can move out of the village. Want to see how the rest of that world is.
Oct 27, 2018 11:24 AM

Nov 2007
I've only finished reading this part in the LN earlier today (it's not a coincidence, I just happened to reach the part) and I as well clearly see the changes.
Despite that I really enjoyed this episode though, kinda wished they showed one thing though.
Oct 27, 2018 11:29 AM
Mar 2016
-Stray said:
AyumiVk said:

Honestly, I bet you would do the same if you were Eugeo. I mean in that scenario you never once used a sword before and you're vastly outnumbered by lots of Goblins. Most of them have weapons and are likely way more experienced with them than you are with a sword. And then there's this huge goblin who's not only much bigger than you, but most definitely way stronger as well.

Every normal person, assuming they have never fought with sword before, would be a pussy in a scenario like that. What would you do if you knew you had to save someone but would most certainly die if you tried to do so?

Also, imo acting like a pussy isn't necessarily bad. It depends on whether there's a reason for them to act like that or not. If there's a reason, it's completely fine because the reason justifies why they act like that. For example Deku from Boku no Hero Academia is a good example of a character that used to be a wimp at the beginning of the series because he got bullied (a valid reason).

However I completely agree that characters that act like a pussy without a reason are really bad written. At least I haven't seen any good character of that sort yet. One example for such a character would be Yukiteru Amano from Mirai Nikki.
TheEnhancedExeOct 27, 2018 11:38 AM
Oct 27, 2018 11:38 AM

Jul 2011
This is AOTS. Period.
Oct 27, 2018 11:38 AM
Oct 2012
Lelouch0202 said:
Tokoya said:

the movie was indeed really successful and they probably saw this arc is really good and trying to make it a good adaptation.

The gore was even more in novel, they reducing the amount of gore and violence it seems, but later in this arc it's even WAY WAY more, so they would have to reduce it either way.

bitchassdarius said:
if the notch in the tree was facing them, the tree should have fallen towards them

it did fall toward them in novel i think, they had to dodge it lol they didn't fully cut the tree and it suddenly start leaning while eugeo was cuting it and they ran and dodge.

-Stray said:
AyumiVk said:

please remember where u live and where he live, as a 15 year old kid who live his whole life in peace. his only experience is when a knight took alice away and that only made him have more trauma than anything else.
he is not like us, who can see Movies or play fighting games and have a better sense of danger.

anyway, Eugeo never yell or call selka name like an idiot or cry like baby in the novel, thats only made like this in anime.

Tokoya said:
AyumiVk said:
@Tokoya

the author himself said in twitter a few hours ago saying poor zink fighting scene was cut off lol

Oct 27, 2018 11:41 AM

Mar 2012
Something didn't feel right with this episode, I really liked all the previous ones tho..

1. Not enough Kirito talking to himself about the events that happened.
2. Nitpicky but Kirito's deep cut arm got better a few moments later during the fight, blood gone, handicap gone.
3. Kirito's movements during the battle were way over-unrealistic and overpowered, was that "real life movements" or "in-game boosted movements" ?
4. So Kirito remembers about Alice/Eugeo ? To what degree, and why isn't he talking to himself about it.

I like SAO and am looking forward for more, but I might have set my expectations too high today.
Oct 27, 2018 11:41 AM
Mar 2018
God, this is so stupid. So that goblin was just standing there, waiting until Eugio finished his speech instead of just kill them right away. Classic SAO is back.
Oct 27, 2018 11:42 AM

Mar 2017
alphazero4um said:
I was wondering how much time passed when Eugeo was training with Kirito.

If I remember correctly it took them about 3 days to cut down the tree.

Awesome episode! It gets harder to wait for the next one every week. The fight was so smooth, I had to watch it twice to fully appreciate it. Seriously, where did all the money come from? :D
And I was so waiting for that Sonic Leap! I got seriously excited when he used it because while reading the light novel it has somehow become one of my favorites from the Aincrad style. It'll be great to see them perform it in a long shot (cause we were so close here we didn't actually see how the gap between the chief and Kirito closed).
I was really pissed when they skipped the skill names in old SAO (aside from some exceptions) but now that they are/will be introduced properly and have relevance to the story everything gets into a nice shape. Once again, thumbs up!
Oct 27, 2018 11:45 AM
Jan 2018
Irongretta said:
alphazero4um said:
I was wondering how much time passed when Eugeo was training with Kirito.

If I remember correctly it took them about 3 days to cut down the tree.

Awesome episode! It gets harder to wait for the next one every week. The fight was so smooth, I had to watch it twice to fully appreciate it. Seriously, where did all the money come from? :D
And I was so waiting for that Sonic Leap! I got seriously excited when he used it because while reading the light novel it has somehow become one of my favorites from the Aincrad style. It'll be great to see them perform it in a long shot (cause we were so close here we didn't actually see how the gap between the chief and Kirito closed).
I was really pissed when they skipped the skill names in old SAO (aside from some exceptions) but now that they are/will be introduced properly and have relevance to the story everything gets into a nice shape. Once again, thumbs up!

someone told me it took roughly two weeks of constantly hacking away at the tree with powerful Sword Skills
Oct 27, 2018 11:46 AM
Aug 2013
An epic episode this time again, like, really.

But as a novel reader I think this episode is a little bit rushed ? Because some (or many ?) scenes are cut, and some of em are important, like why Kirito and Eugeo finally can hold the sword is too fast for me, and Eugeo vs Jink.
But hey, it's anime, and it's so good. Especially the fight scene, I didn't expect it'll be this awesome, I mean, really awesome. Really love the battle and of course, the MUSIC, sasuga Yuki Kajiura.

So I think next episode will be the real world scene to explain what happened to Kirito
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.