Sep 25, 2018 11:28 PM

Jul 2017
people value anime differently
to some, anime is a hobby
to some, anime is a passion
to some, anime is an inseperable part of their life
to some, anime is happiness
to some, anime is everything

some people see anime as an interest that worth investing time on; they spend some of their free time watching anime for pure enjoyment and kill off boredom in the process; some others would bring it to another degree as they spend most of their time outside of their work and education on it and view anime as a reliable source of joy; there are also people who become dependent on anime to live as they become overly addicted to anime

to me anime was a hobby; I used to spend some of my free time on anime when I was alone or I wasn't eager to hang out with my friends due to my mood. It was the puriest leisure I had as I enjoy it to the fullest: discovering new anime to watch, make planlists, watch them with laughters and tears. A year later, I tend to become more reliable on anime to kill off my boredom as I became less sociable and willing to go out of my room (shitty weather)
sometimes I do feel like Im watching the anime for the sake of my ego that I wish to let people know I've watched this anime (weird of me I know). Since then, I have been constantly watching whatever anime I could find in order to fulfill my empty feelings that I could not find something to do elsewhere beside doing volunteers and exercising with my friends. Whatsoever, anime has became my lifestyle now

What is anime to you and how much do you value anime?
MAYOIIISep 26, 2018 5:22 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 25, 2018 11:35 PM

Oct 2010
Anime is entertainment for me, I work a lot and I hang out with my friends yet having that nice episode at the end of the day feel good. I don't watch tv and I don't watch live action so I got time for dem cartoons. I am so used to it that I consider anime like smoking, if it puffs it's good but sometimes I find a nice flavour. (Like keijo).
Sep 25, 2018 11:38 PM

Apr 2016
Anime is entertainment for me that offers me an experience that is unique to other forms of entertainment especially in the different genres of anime. It also gave me access to a large community of people who talk about it that is also unique to other forms of entertainment.
Sep 25, 2018 11:43 PM

Nov 2017
At one point it was escapism for me but now it's become another form of entertainment, it's the only medium that experiments with animation and the potential it has to tell stories that reality fails to do.
Sep 25, 2018 11:46 PM

Apr 2016
Yes it is a form of escapism if we can call it like that.
Sep 25, 2018 11:54 PM

Jul 2017
To me, Anime is nothing more than entertainment and our slice of life.

Sometimes, these slice of life we relate to, gave us different perspectives or outlook in life which can redefine or provide a more meaningful life.
Sep 26, 2018 12:13 AM

Sep 2016
MayoiYui said:
to some, anime is a part of their life

For me, anime is both a hobby and a passion, which by default makes it part of my life.
Anime generates happiness for me because it is a hobby & passion I enjoy more than most things.

Anime is not everything, but it does get close sometimes.

There are worse things and much more expensive things I could be spending my time & money on for a hobby/passion, so in that respect it's not a bad deal.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Sep 26, 2018 12:19 AM

May 2013
For me,

Anime is a mistake.

Yours sincerely. /s

That said, it's one of my few cherished means of escapism from real life from time to time. It's not a part of a my life and never will be, as I can live without it.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Sep 26, 2018 12:20 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Pretty much a form of entertainment and escapism. I like it the way it is, in its own, sometimes weird, way because it provides a form of fun that no other medium can offer. I value it quite a bit but it is not irreplaceable. While, at the same time, I know that replacing it is impossible because it's such a niche, unique thing.
Sep 26, 2018 12:23 AM
Apr 2018
Anime is a hobby and entertainment for me
Sep 26, 2018 12:24 AM

Jan 2013
hobby and entertainment simply as that

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Sep 26, 2018 12:25 AM
womp womp

Nov 2012
MayoiYui said:

some people see anime as an interest that worth investing time on; they spend some of their free time watching anime for pure enjoyment and kill off boredom in the process; some others would bring it to another degree as they spend most of their time outside of their work and education on it and view anime as a reliable source of joy; there are also people who become dependent on anime to live as they become overly addicted to anime

to me anime was a hobby; I used to spend some of my free time on anime when I was alone or I wasn't eager to hang out with my friends due to my mood. It was the puriest leisure I had as I enjoy it to the fullest: discovering new anime to watch, make planlists, watch them with laughters and tears. A year later, I tend to become more reliable on anime to kill off my boredom as I became less sociable and willing to go out of my room (shitty weather)
sometimes I do feel like Im watching the anime for the sake of my ego that I wish to let people know I've watched this anime (weird of me I know). Since then, I have been constantly watching whatever anime I could find in order to fulfill my empty feelings that I could not find something to do elsewhere beside doing volunteers and exercising with my friends. Whatsoever, anime has became my lifestyle now

Anime to me is a hobby, passion, part of my life, happiness and, essentially, everything.

Anime for me was my escape on a whim. I was bored and found an AMV of One Piece and I decided to watch all of it within the month at the time, and it became my primary source of entertainment outside of Youtube and I have no idea what else I did at the time. And soon after I found League of Legends and by then Anime was my identity and League became my way of connecting, which I have long quit.

And now, Anime has become one of my sources of connecting with other people despite it initially being a source of escapism. It helped me developed a better frame of mind because I went through a drastic change from the time I was essentially obsessed with anime to the time I tried to learn more about anime and spent time thinking more about anime. My best current pasttime is thinking about anime and lazing about, and lowkey working.

And there's still hundreds of anime to watch, but making sure I keep some anime for a very rainy day, like the days where I don't feel any enjoyment from watching anime.
Sep 26, 2018 12:42 AM
Mar 2013
A mistake

For real though, it's something I grew up watching, wasted many hours of my teenage on and still continue to do so as a young adult

I say wasted because I don't think of it as something profound, I see it as entertainment first and foremost, that's not to say I don't find it emotional, sometimes a bit inspiring or somewhat thought provoking (occasionally), but it's not my go-to choice for the latter

What draws me to it is what it specializes in, the art style, the characterization, the sense of adventure other media can't provide as much, the way stories are told, the type of fantasy, action and superpowers that can't release its potential in the same fashion to the same extent in other forms, I find all that interesting and hooking

Will I continue watching it forever? Hard to say, my ideal image for my future self is that I'll be so indulged in things that I care more about and has a bigger meaning that I won't have much time for anime, but realistically it seems I'm stuck with anime for a while
Chigo_SenseiSep 26, 2018 12:46 AM
Sep 26, 2018 12:51 AM

Jan 2016
It's a thing that shouldn't exist

An entertainment.
Sep 26, 2018 1:01 AM
May 2016
Anime was the thing that helped me forget that I had depression.

Now anime is the thing that helps me to procrasinate instead of working on important shit.
Sep 26, 2018 1:03 AM

Aug 2018
For me it's a way to scape from my reality and the best way I have to fight my depression.
Sep 26, 2018 1:05 AM
Jul 2018
some hobby to keep myself busy, a way of killing boredom, a way of knowing other people's liking (different people like different anime, sometimes I watch an anime just because somebody has it in their favourites)
Sep 26, 2018 1:21 AM

Jan 2017
Anime is one of the best things ever happened to me!
After getting into anime, i stopped watching TV shows and live action movies (Except Marvel). This is the only source of entertainment for me right now and probably the best.
Sep 26, 2018 2:13 AM

Feb 2013
anime is my mother, daughter, sister and lover
Sep 26, 2018 2:20 AM

Nov 2017
- The things that make me smiles other than games and music..
- the place to Forget the reality
Now Loading.....
Sep 26, 2018 2:24 AM

Feb 2017
A couple of years ago i used anime pretty much to forget everything that have happened for a while and just rest my mind.Well now its just a thing to pass my free time with.
Sep 26, 2018 2:43 AM

Sep 2016
Anime is an entertainment and hobby for me, similar to books or music.
Sep 26, 2018 2:50 AM

Apr 2018
Anime is life itself, the same as Lain and Yui are love itself

OT:
Anime is my main entertainment medium after manga. I used to escaping to it but I barely even find something worth-watching nowadays. I am more into manga now.
Sep 26, 2018 2:52 AM

Apr 2016
For me, anime is a great way to spend my free time in enjoyment while I'm relaxing. Every anime has its own story that I can learn some sort of lesson from.
Sep 26, 2018 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
anime is absolutely nothing to me and that's the tea sis
Sep 26, 2018 2:55 AM

Jan 2018
Anime is a form of entertainment that made me like japan.
Sep 26, 2018 3:40 AM
Sep 2018
MayoiYui said:

Anime to me, anime is a hobby. I like anime best one piece
Sep 26, 2018 3:47 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
To me, anime is like smoking or drinking.
When I'm stressed or upset, I turn to anime to calm me down or cheer me up.
It's also a decent social vehicle to get to know other people.
Sep 26, 2018 4:43 AM

Aug 2016
Much like video games, it's a form of escapism.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 26, 2018 4:46 AM

Oct 2009
I DUNNO ANYMORE JUST GOING THROUGH DA MOTIONS ME THINK$
Sep 26, 2018 4:47 AM

Apr 2018
Something i watch if i am bored and there are nothing good on tv
Sep 26, 2018 5:15 AM
Jul 2018
Entertainment that's very important to me and I am glad I got into it. Don't really give a shit about everything else.
Sep 26, 2018 5:17 AM

Sep 2018
Anime is a shiity addiction I need to quit.
Sep 26, 2018 5:18 AM

Apr 2013
Anime is the most entertaining way of wasting time by myself. At least that's the current situation, might change.
Sep 26, 2018 5:18 AM

May 2018
Just entertainment for me. That's all.
Sep 26, 2018 5:28 AM

Jan 2009
anime like the much of the internet is escapism for me
Sep 26, 2018 5:31 AM

Apr 2014
Anime is an animation form that originated in Japanland.
Sep 26, 2018 5:41 AM

Sep 2018
Mainly just easy entertainment for me. Honestly a 22-minute ep of anime is just quicker and easier to watch than a 1.5--2 hr movie at the end of a long day.

and yeah i guess i could watch other tv shows but most western animation is quite bad and after Twin Peaks: The Return i can't think of many live action shows i wanna watch.

Also like someone else said itt i'm interested in the how animation can convey stories in ways that live action cannot. So maybe i'm becoming a hobbyist idk!

Sep 26, 2018 5:43 AM

Mar 2017
I consider it a journey to a different realm (medium) in order to expand my mind a little bit, though it doesn't always work that way, sometimes I just treat it as another source of entertainment.
Sep 26, 2018 5:46 AM

Jan 2013
I have a hard time believing people who say they only consider it an entertainment.

For me it's more of a daily routine thing and sometimes escapism
Sep 26, 2018 5:53 AM

Apr 2018
At first, anime was part hobby and part escapism. Now it has become an interest, a passion of sorts and an inseparable part of my daily life.
Sep 26, 2018 6:09 AM
Jul 2018
I think anime is like a hobby to me.
Before I joined MAL, I watched whatever anime I came across, purely for entertainment. But once I joined this site, I discovered another side of the anime world, a side much more serious. I saw that anime is taken very seriously here and that "taste" matters. So I started feeling bad about liking anime like Naruto, something that is considered bad in general. I started watching anime that were considered "good", things like Paprika or Haruhi Suzumiya (which are undeniably great). But soon, I got so stuck in this "competition" that I forgot why I had started watching it in the first place. As in, for me, anime, at one point, had become more about increasing my list than watching it for the sake of enjoyment. Thankfully, I realised this soon enough (in a couple of weeks' time) and stopped. I only recently started watching anime again. Now, anime is back to being one of my most important sources of entertainment. I don't force myself to sit through a series just for the sake of having it on my list anymore.
I'm glad I started watching anime.
Sep 26, 2018 6:12 AM

Sep 2013
primordial part of me
started as a hobby, now is something that is not only something that I like, something that is crucial to me
Sep 26, 2018 6:28 AM

Mar 2016
MayoiYui said:
to some, anime is an inseperable part of their life
All that. nibibiniberbviebviuebive
Sep 26, 2018 6:54 AM

Jan 2018
Distraction from real life problems and of course enjoyment.
Sep 26, 2018 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
it's not something i could write about in one sitting.

I've always loved animation. My favorite movie when I was a child was Gandahar, dessin animé otherwise known as Light Years in the United States, translated by the prolific Isaac Asimov, who also happens to be my favorite author.

The first recorded instance of cinema--dessin animé was created by Charles-Émile Reynaud, and I feel greatly for the man, considering he died broke.

Moving on, I hold Japanese animation in high regards for its many different genres that target all sorts of demographics and people of varying tastes.

It's grown a lot over the years, and I could talk about it all day. That's why I'm here.
Sep 26, 2018 7:43 AM

Sep 2018
As many have said, anime is entertainment to me, but I guess I could say it's also a hobby. Trying to watch different shows, discussing them with people, collecting blu-rays and DVD's, all makes me feel like I'm part of something.
Sep 26, 2018 8:58 AM

May 2018
Just a lingering thing for me. I got really caught up in it a few years ago, but as time passed I started watching less and less until I got to the point that I don't care about it at all anymore. It is something that was a phase for me, I guess, but nevertheless, it became sort of an obsession, until I stopped and now, I can even see things more clearly and discern good series from bad ones, which are a lot, know what's worth watching, etc., but it's not of much use to me now that I don't watch anything anymore.
_BergamotSep 26, 2018 9:03 AM
Sep 26, 2018 11:43 AM

Mar 2018
Anime is a medium and a form of escapism. It is an art form and a platform for expresssing philosophical ideas, creativity, fantasies and emotions through the story, characters, art, and music. Anime is love, anime is life.
fyuuki_Sep 27, 2018 9:35 AM
Sep 26, 2018 12:03 PM
Dec 2013
Anime is a hobby and passion to me, and I see myself sticking with it for years to come.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 5 hours ago

23 by Gator »»
3 minutes ago

» If MAL didn't exist

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

25 by Gator »»
5 minutes ago

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing?

APolygons2 - 14 minutes ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
6 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - Yesterday

41 by Kenzolo-folk »»
7 minutes ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

13 by APolygons2 »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.