Forum Settings
Forums

Would you disregard a series because of art-style?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 26, 2018 12:37 PM

Jul 2015
My answer is yes ........................

Well...
Jan 26, 2018 2:43 PM

Sep 2017
I used to be really narrow-minded and only watch newer shows because they look pretty. After watching a few old shows, I realized that the animation doesn't always says everything about the quality of the anime, though a prettier art style does motivate me more to watch it. Ajin is a perfect example of an anime with a 'meh' art style but a great story.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Jan 26, 2018 2:46 PM

Dec 2017
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure looks like some kind of gay sex party with the animation...
A friend of mine tells me a lot about it though, might watch eventually...
Jan 26, 2018 4:17 PM
Jan 2017
Nah, the art style doesn't really ever affect my enjoyment. I'm there for the story, characters, and emotion.
Jan 26, 2018 4:24 PM
Jul 2017
Yeah, samurai bride series, it looked fun on paper, lasted 5 minutes into the forst episode of the first season before i dropped it. Was just too weird for me.
Jan 26, 2018 4:35 PM

Jun 2011
I think artstyle is important to the feel of the show. However, I tend to watch everything. But modern moe style does bug me. I like Rumiko moe style better.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 26, 2018 5:07 PM

Jul 2017
I used to avoid anime that had too outdated visuals or modern ones with styling similar to 90s anime. I've kinda abandoned this notion.

I won't shy away from peculiar visuals, as long as they are not raw aids.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Jan 26, 2018 5:14 PM

Mar 2015
no, but it might influence my rating a lot, depend on excecution...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 26, 2018 5:18 PM

Jul 2011
Yes.
But , only if the art-style is really something that hard on the eyes.

For example, it took me years (I would dare say a decade) to start watching One Piece because I disliked the art-style. It's still a little hard for me but it's ok. But other series that are just have unattractive styles I may just disregard because I dont want to put my eyes through the torture.
Jan 26, 2018 7:18 PM

Jul 2013
I know a lot of people were critical of Ping Pong because of its art style. The fact of the matter is, its unique art style lent really well to the narrative.
"I've always seen failure as a possibility, but never as an option."
vndb||Serumeito Twitter||Discord: Bunny of Wrath#3201
Jan 26, 2018 7:25 PM

Nov 2011
I hate how havong detail and not using the same bland look as most typical anime is considered ugly.
Jan 26, 2018 7:45 PM

Jan 2018
Unique art styles are fine but when it seems like low effort or terrible cgi animations, then it's a turn off.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Jan 27, 2018 2:15 AM

Oct 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
I don't refuse to watch Made in the Abyss but the moe character designs turns me off from watching it.

If that is the problem it is quite justified since the titular characters are all 12-year-olds.
Jan 27, 2018 2:19 AM

Aug 2014
Love the 2005 style (full metal panic, ramune, black lagoon and so on) more than todays moe style. Like when characters look close to real people but not to the full extent.
Jan 27, 2018 2:26 AM
Jan 2018
Yes, for me, anime with art-style involving moe girls with big eyes.
INSTANT DROP.
Jan 27, 2018 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
Ventus_S said:
AmMar-Sama said:
I would be missing a lot if I refused to get into something just because of the art style, so nope. I try to give everything a chance.

The thing is generally I accept alot of art-style.

Just those that go to the extreme may put me off.

I'm actually not that picky about art-style.

They don't go to the extreme, man. This is called rotoscoping and indeed it's very different from majority of anime.

From Wiki:

Rotoscoping is an animation technique that animators use to trace over motion picture footage, frame by frame, to produce realistic action.
Jan 27, 2018 4:40 AM

Jul 2015
Gotta admit that unlike what OP does, I've started anime by going after different and/or unique art styles, and it's still one of my main motivation behind watching a show.
Jan 27, 2018 10:26 AM

Mar 2016
Yes and no. I'll often put off watching an anime because of the bad art, but I'll probably give it a try eventually if it interests me. After seeing anime like Ajin and Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor, art no longer matters to me as much as it did before.
I'm also watching Monster. The art was off-putting at first because it was so old, but now I'm use to it and actually like it.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Jan 27, 2018 10:31 AM

Aug 2012
Art style definitely is the eye-catcher, hence a deciding factor. I always look at the art before reading the synopsis. If the title is immensely popular, I'd consider reading/watching it regardless.
Jan 27, 2018 10:44 AM

Sep 2012
Absolutely. I don't wanna stare at shit for hours even if the story is good.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jan 27, 2018 10:59 AM
Aug 2016
I do care about the art-style but if an anime is good, I can easily ignore the art. For example Shiki, the art is just horrible, but the story and the plot is just perfect, I even gave it a 10 despite it's ugly art, and I would gladly watch it again.
But, yes, there is a but, I usually try not to start an anime that I think I might not like it, because of it's art, and because it might have an boring story, and be afraid that I won't drop it, because I'm not the kind of person who drops anime or manga. I never did that, and probably will never do.
Jan 27, 2018 11:53 AM

Dec 2017
sometimes. If i find the art bad i could drop it

i like avocados on toast 
Jan 27, 2018 12:06 PM
Oct 2016
Yes. Bad CG animation would make me drop or decide not to watch a show. I stoped watching ajin and Berserk 2016 for that reason. I’m fine with well done CG though, like Houseki no Kuni for example. I like when the art is a little weird or different though, like ping pong or kaiba. As far as JoJo, I don’t like it, but that’s more because of the general weirdness than the art weirdness
NakamisanJan 27, 2018 12:10 PM
Jan 27, 2018 12:18 PM

May 2016
I can't stand generic designs so I prefer the special ones.
Jan 27, 2018 12:55 PM

Sep 2017
yes, i've done this before and i will probably do it again.
Jan 27, 2018 2:50 PM

Nov 2015
Paul said:
Most people would be lying if they didn't. Considering the fact the majority of people don't even touch older shows, not because of story but because of the visuals.
I guess I can admit that I do tend to judge series by its cover. This usually only applies to series with very distinct animation, though. I have no problem watching older series from 2000's or earlier

notyourboyfriend said:
Yes.
But , only if the art-style is really something that hard on the eyes.
For example, it took me years (I would dare say a decade) to start watching One Piece because I disliked the art-style.
Kiyomice said:
Yes and no. I'll often put off watching an anime because of the bad art, but I'll probably give it a try eventually if it interests me.

Yeah, this will probably be me as well. I'm usually open to watching whatever people recommend to me, and I especially like finding series via MAL's home panel suggested or MALGraph. But even though I know that story matters more than animation - I've never dropped a series for anything other than story - I still can't bring myself to watch it. Nonetheless, I'm fairly certain I will get to it eventually. So far there haven't been any anime that I could straight up say that I would never watch. I think I just need time to get into those kinds of outlier series.

Jan 27, 2018 3:02 PM

Nov 2016
Didn't happen so far,I'm very tolerant in that regard.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 27, 2018 3:05 PM

Jan 2017
art can be one of the first aspects to turn me off from an anime
Jan 27, 2018 3:50 PM

Aug 2013
kuuderu said:
Ventus_S said:

The thing is generally I accept alot of art-style.

Just those that go to the extreme may put me off.

I'm actually not that picky about art-style.

They don't go to the extreme, man. This is called rotoscoping and indeed it's very different from majority of anime.

From Wiki:

Rotoscoping is an animation technique that animators use to trace over motion picture footage, frame by frame, to produce realistic action.

It is extreme usage of rotoscopic animation.
This is rotoscopic animation demo too. Does is look bad too? I don't think so.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 27, 2018 3:56 PM

Jul 2016
if it's ugly but interesting in a way that makes it stand out I'm actually more likely to watch it but if it's ugly because it's just cheaply animated I'm less inclined but it doesn't affect my decision too much I'll just deduct a point or two depending on how bad it is.
Jan 27, 2018 4:00 PM

Jun 2013
No, never. It doesn't really bother me.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Jan 27, 2018 4:01 PM

Feb 2010
No, I actually am more interested if a show has a unique and distinct look. Drawings are cool because there are no limits stylistically and you can do a lot of different shit in art and animation because of that that you can't do in live action so as far as I'm concerned if you standardize the look of anime it actually takes away from what makes animation such a great and compelling medium for me. I want the variety, I want th experimental artstyles, I want creators to try different things.

Sure, some styles will be more appealing to me than others but the variety in itself makes me want to check out everything that looks unique.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 27, 2018 4:01 PM

Aug 2016
Disregarding art style is one of the stupidest pet peeves I've seen, it's art; you don't just go around an art museum shitting on every piece that doesn't fit the standard on-model piece
Jan 27, 2018 4:11 PM

Mar 2017
I usually don't mind unique or out of the ordinary art styles, but if the art style is too off looking, I get like,, really uncomfortable and drop it

like for example, Haikyuu and Ping-Pong the animation gave me like this really weird uncanny valley feeling lol
" nya'll need to chill "

Jan 27, 2018 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
rsc-pl said:
kuuderu said:

From Wiki:

Well, it doesn't look "bad", whatever that means.. It looks different, exactly that.
Jan 27, 2018 6:44 PM

Nov 2012
Honestly it's not so often art styles put me off as creators' attitudes about art styles. It's one thing to do something unique and experimental; it's another to shoot down anybody who disparages it.

(Not an anime, but OK KO immediately comes to mind. The creator said they won't apologize for not using standard character sheets and compared shows that keep that consistency to FAMILY GUY. Ew.)
Jan 27, 2018 8:18 PM

Apr 2016
I personally don't mind what art style they use, but I gotta say I am not a big fan of old art style.
Jan 27, 2018 8:41 PM

Nov 2016
PsychoticDave said:
Can't watch Korean animation.
It's just weird.

Chinese animation is good though.

can someone give recs? i havent jumped in to the deep end.

nope, my favourite game is dwarf fortress. i prefer gameplay over graphics any day of the week. i might contradict myself after watching some korean and/or chinese anime, hopefully i dont.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Jan 27, 2018 8:47 PM

Oct 2017
RoryBurrows said:
Disregarding art style is one of the stupidest pet peeves I've seen, it's art; you don't just go around an art museum shitting on every piece that doesn't fit the standard on-model piece

Yes it's art, so we don't have to accept everything and think everything is good.

For one , I'm not a fan of super simplistic Abstract painting, so no matter how the description of such art piece spit out info about how deep / how creative/ how ingenious it is, I'm still not going to force myself to like it and lied to myself that I think it's impressive.
I'm sure alot of people are like me who don't give a shit too, glance on those so-called masterpiece weird paintings , feels nothing, and quickly move on.

Example:

One ironic part being when the artists of those weird paintings still alive, no-one think their arts are any good.
It is AFTER they're dead that people start praising it to be masterpiece or whatever lolz..
I smell alot of foul play for economical gain here.
Ventus_SJan 27, 2018 8:59 PM
Jan 27, 2018 9:30 PM
Aug 2014

Yeah, Ping Pong looks super unnatural and outright dumb, honestly wouldn't watch it either.
Jan 27, 2018 9:33 PM

Apr 2011
Already have, will continue to do so. Visuals are as much a determining factor for a visual medium as story or characters.
Jan 27, 2018 9:46 PM

Jan 2018
Honestly yes lol I have no interest in Clannad (despite it being one of the most popular anime in my favorite genre and was produced by my favorite studio) because the art style just honestly bothers me. The eyes are so big and gross...

oh dear it seems i've been Owned on myanimelist.com by a user who rated oreimo 10 stars
Jan 27, 2018 10:41 PM

Aug 2013
GiantTurtle0 said:
Honestly yes lol I have no interest in Clannad (despite it being one of the most popular anime in my favorite genre and was produced by my favorite studio) because the art style just honestly bothers me. The eyes are so big and gross...

And what exactly is wrong with your linked image? It looks great. Much better than character design after 2010.
Did you start watching anime just now? Big eyes? Pretty standard I would say. And again, much better than 'modern' style.
I will never understand the hate towards Clannad artstyle. Character design style is not different than most series of those years (my favorite era). But art, animation quality and level of details is phenomenal.
rsc-plJan 27, 2018 10:48 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 28, 2018 1:33 AM

Feb 2016
I usually don't care because I've watched enough Animes with a good artstyle but a horrible story and characters and also Animes with a less appealing Artstyle but they are still great. I enjoy good animations and artstyles but some Animes are appealing in their own way. Sometimes the artstyle doesn't look that good but it maybe suits the Anime a lot.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Jan 28, 2018 2:51 AM

Jan 2018
I try to give everything a fair chance to catch my attention.
But Hand Shakers.
Jan 28, 2018 2:53 AM

Oct 2015
I used to be when I was starting out but I don't really care anymore :p
Jan 28, 2018 3:18 AM

Jul 2015
rsc-pl said:

That thing you posted looks really plastic and I much prefer Aku no Hana. You sure you're not just bothered by the lack of big, generic eyes?

Ventus_S said:
RoryBurrows said:

Yes it's art, so we don't have to accept everything and think everything is good.

For one , I'm not a fan of super simplistic Abstract painting, so no matter how the description of such art piece spit out info about how deep / how creative/ how ingenious it is, I'm still not going to force myself to like it and lied to myself that I think it's impressive.
I'm sure alot of people are like me who don't give a shit too, glance on those so-called masterpiece weird paintings , feels nothing, and quickly move on.

Example:

One ironic part being when the artists of those weird paintings still alive, no-one think their arts are any good.
It is AFTER they're dead that people start praising it to be masterpiece or whatever lolz..

Nice attempt but as far as I know, neither Jojo or Ping Pong look like that (the two shows you mentionned), and their creators are alive, so I'm not sure how it's any relevant.
DeathkoJan 28, 2018 3:23 AM
Jan 28, 2018 3:24 AM

Aug 2013
Clebardman said:
rsc-pl said:

That thing you posted looks really plastic and I much prefer Aku no Hana. You sure you're not just bothered by the lack of big, generic eyes?

It was done by 1 guy. And it looks fuckloads better than any scene in Aku no Hana for me.

PS.
"Generic" eyes defines anime in general. Nothing wrong with being "generic", especially if you compare it to lazy, undetailed Aku no Hana-like crap.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 28, 2018 3:28 AM

Oct 2017
Clebardman said:
rsc-pl said:

Ventus_S said:

Example:

Nice attempt but as far as I know, neither Jojo or Ping Pong look like that (the two shows you mentionned), and their creators are alive, so I'm not sure how it's any relevant.

He's the one who mentioned museum art, not me.

This is just a reference for how art can be interpreted and appreciated/ unappreciated differently.
If you want an anime example, many people despise Berserk 2016 for the same reason they unappreciated the art direction of new Berserk.
Jan 28, 2018 3:28 AM

Jul 2015
@rsc-pl Oh god, "lazy and undetailled". pfffft yeah, sure. Your credibility just vanished.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is there any hentai manga/anime with great plot ? I mean the story is better than the sex scenes.

GoodBoy0069 - 24 minutes ago

3 by tchitchouan »»
2 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre?

decco6226 - 7 hours ago

18 by Multilynx »»
3 minutes ago

» Can background characters be best girls?

Catalano - 5 hours ago

11 by Ahiru89 »»
7 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - May 1

98 by Nerdcatlady »»
17 minutes ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 28

42 by Lampblasted »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.