Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2017 11:18 AM
Nov 2011
I've read a lot of complaints here about Moriko and Yuuta "not acting their ages" and it's so dissapointing that people don't understand their personalities and they're not the average around-30 people

Did you know that social akwadrness, love-shyness, immaturity, self-consiciousness and insecurities can still happen at these ages? What if they're both aspergers? What if they're both autists? What if they have mental traumas that don't let them socialize? Do you know why I'm saying this? Because I have the same problem! And I know others who also have it! That's why I can easily identify with both Moriko and Yuuta, because they're exactly like ME! Finally I found two anime characters who I can identify myself with in my current status! But you know what? There's a depression between it! Because people like you put social pressure over people like us! You just refuse to understand, we're different, we're not the robots you want us to be, we have mental problems but you refuse to understand it and instead of that you impose us your living and thinking model like if you were dictators without knowing the root of the problem, some people has even commited suicide for that social pressure, did you know that? Google it!

Seriously... They're HUMAN BEINGS! They're not perfect, they don't need to be so, and they don't necessarily have to be be the robots controlled by society that they want people their age to be! Honestly, you're basically proving why this age sucks! Did you know that your arguments and your social pressure are why there's an "age-30 crisis" and an age-related depression that possibly shouldn't exist?
Mau-KunDec 9, 2017 5:41 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 9, 2017 11:36 AM

Oct 2008
I'm nearing my 30s, and I have Morioka's exact disposition, and that probably won't change. So seeing older characters act like this only made this show more likeable to me. ^_^
I haven't heard the complaints about them acting their ages, though, that's too bad.
Dec 9, 2017 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really see this as an issue with their age not matching up a lot with their personality traits because I know people that are in their 30s acting like that, so honestly I don't see it as an issue.

I'm not even 30, 10 years more to go but still.
Dec 9, 2017 11:40 AM
Nov 2011
GEEKalea said:
I'm nearing my 30s, and I have Morioka's exact disposition, and that probably won't change. So seeing older characters act like this only made this show more likeable to me. ^_^
I haven't heard the complaints about them acting their ages, though, that's too bad.

Some people have said it in episode comments, specially in ep. 10 thread.
Dec 9, 2017 12:06 PM

May 2015
Proabably because they think that if you're an adult, you're expected to act like one. I'm nearing 30 and I'm watching Anime like Net-juu no Susume.

Also, I wonder if they thought about Morioka being a NEET and Sakurai having no dating experience being the influence behind their awkward behavior...
Dec 9, 2017 3:10 PM
Jan 2017
I'm 30 and Moriko is basically an anime version of me, for better and worse!! People forget sometimes that you don't magically "grow up" once you hit a certain age ... rather, you're we're *all* just kids, until one day you wake up and look at yourself in the mirror, and you have a wrinkle or a gray hair or whatever. And the world decides you can't be a kid anymore. But you don't feel any different inside.

This show has been my favorite of the season. It's so rare to find an anime that shows that life doesn't end at 30. And people who are 30 don't have it all figured out. There's still love and life and fun ahead ... even for degenerate, lazy, gamers and geeks like me.

Or at least so I like to believe.
Dec 9, 2017 3:36 PM

Nov 2013
It's not that they're not acting their age, it's more that they don't have the TV/Movie standard of people their age. Which is great in my opinion. I can totally relate to both of them.

People have a certain bar of behavior just like there is somehow a bar for beauty. It's just a thing people assume and compare to the "standard" if it deviates.
Dec 9, 2017 4:31 PM

Oct 2010
Here's a bad example: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1002681/recovery-of-an-mmo-junkie-discussion?pg=26#57048657 A naive, narrow-minded view of how real people act can lead to inhuman cruelty toward those who are "unrealistic." The most bizarre part is the claim that Moriko is relatable only to men, after it would have been obvious all season, to anyone paying attention, that the show was popular with women on CR.

“In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.”
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Dec 9, 2017 5:17 PM
Jan 2017
nDroae said:
The most bizarre part is the claim that Moriko is relatable only to men, after it would have been obvious all season, to anyone paying attention, that the show was popular with women on CR.

Eh ... Men haven't cornered the market on being geeks. Or gamers. Or socially awkward.

If anything, I think it's refreshing to have a protagonist that is flawed, and relatable. Rather than somebody perfect, or a self-insert.

Hurts a bit to read that. And I had to throw up a bit in my mouth when I read the first bit: -- "I don't think it is ever possible for someone who is successful and "good looking" to fall in love with someone who quit their job and became a NEET."

Personally, ... I'd sooner love a NEET than an asshole.
n00bfishDec 9, 2017 6:31 PM
Dec 9, 2017 5:19 PM

Jul 2017

Jeez that is a bad example you're right. Never before, have I ever seen so many social norms/expectations written in a short anime review.
Dec 9, 2017 5:45 PM
Jun 2014
Anyone who's passed 30 and becomes beet red by holding hands have serious issues. Confessing and stuff like that will likely be nerve wrecking regardless of age.
Dec 9, 2017 5:55 PM

May 2015
Stormen said:
Anyone who's passed 30 and becomes beet red by holding hands have serious issues. Confessing and stuff like that will likely be nerve wrecking regardless of age.

It's still not worth complaining about though.

Dec 9, 2017 6:05 PM

Jun 2014
Because kids act their age in anime...........

I don't see the problem. Happens all the time in anime, just reversed.
Dec 9, 2017 6:12 PM
Jun 2014
Kittens-kun said:
Stormen said:

When you watch a series of characters aged 30 +/- acting like they're 14 then i get why people complain. I did like the show though, but i agree on this point.
Dec 9, 2017 6:17 PM

Jul 2017
I have never heard those complaints as of this moment, but I can see where they come from.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Dec 9, 2017 7:38 PM
Nov 2009
It was nice to see older characters for a change.
Dec 9, 2017 8:29 PM

May 2015
Stormen said:
Kittens-kun said:

When you watch a series of characters aged 30 +/- acting like they're 14 then i get why people complain. I did like the show though, but i agree on this point.

One of them is a NEET, and they're both socially awkward. I don't see the problem. And that's even disregarding the fact that not every 30 year old acts the same.

Dec 9, 2017 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
I did not know people complained about that.

I mean, they are not American. Typically, Japanese people act more polite.

Also they are both socially awkward (and are obviously virgins).

It makes sense on why they act like that.
Dec 9, 2017 9:33 PM

Nov 2017
I think people miss the point a lot of the fact that one is a salaryman who does nothing but play mmo's and the other is a hardcore neet. People just seemingly choose to ignore that these two don't come from sociable backgrounds and that one hated their job so much they didn't want to interact with people anymore.

Also you have a bunch of teenagers not realizing that 28-30 isn't some major leap to being some serious cold adult
Dec 9, 2017 9:39 PM
Oct 2010
It would have been way more odd for her character NOT to be like that tbh. I guess a lot of people didn't realize her self esteem is in the gutter because she's a 30 year old NEET or chose to ignore that when making their criticisms.
Dec 9, 2017 9:43 PM
Oct 2010
waifuexpertise said:
I think people miss the point a lot of the fact that one is a salaryman who does nothing but play mmo's and the other is a hardcore neet. People just seemingly choose to ignore that these two don't come from sociable backgrounds and that one hated their job so much they didn't want to interact with people anymore.

Also you have a bunch of teenagers not realizing that 28-30 isn't some major leap to being some serious cold adult

Pretty funny how we both pretty much said the same thing haha. People also forget that Sakurai was a hardcore MMO player in the previous mmo they played together, so he definitely wasn't the overly social type.

What's also interesting that both their roles reversed over time. Morioka was working hard and only played on weekends while sakurai was a hardcore player and now she's the hardcore player and sakurai is the guy that doesn't have as much time.
Dec 9, 2017 11:33 PM

Sep 2016
Putting mental health issues aside, I agree with OP.

A lot of people expect characters in anime to behave in a way the average person does not behave.

And in some cases a more awkward character could be more likeable and feel more realistic than a "cooler" one.
Even just for a change of pace from more common clichè-filled shows.
bruh
Dec 10, 2017 6:31 AM

Feb 2014
waifuexpertise said:

I'm also expecting this, since author didn't put enough detail on those 2 character and the pace is totally out of control. The romantic concept was cool tbh, only it got ruined by lack of character details
Dec 10, 2017 7:26 AM

Aug 2016
Haven't seen the show, so I'm just going by what I've heard.

I think it depends on the context, really. From what I'm hearing about this show, I think it's definitely believable for the cast to not act their ages. They have in-universe reasons for being the way they are.

Meanwhile, it does kind of become a problem when the cast has a consistent, unreasonable dissonance between their maturity and their age. Take your typical harem show, for example. Sure, it makes perfect sense that our average protagonist will be caught off guard by the antics of the girls. It also makes sense for the girls to not tell him how they feel. At first. In a more realistic story, the characters would grow and adapt to the situation. The MC would grow used to interacting with the girls, so he would visibly become less awkward and nervous. The girls, meanwhile, would either ask him out eventually because he won't do it himself, or get bored and move on because he seems uninterested. But in your typical harem anime, the characters never adapt in this way. That is a valid case of characters not acting their age. Or, to be more precise, not growing like people do.

So, going back to Net-juu, I guess this complaint is present for a couple of reasons.
1. Societal expectations for people to "grow up" once they've grown up.
2. People may be so used to complaining about unreasonable immaturity in fiction that they ignored the in-universe realistic justifications.

Either way, it's pretty bad reasoning. Going by what I've heard, Net-juu does have believable and likeable characters, even if they don't necessarily act their age. If somebody's gonna complain about a show, they should at least target actual flaws.
TwilightCelicaDec 10, 2017 7:30 AM
Dec 10, 2017 7:38 AM

Nov 2007
The complains come from people who never met people like those IRL. I personally met people like Morioka and Sakurai and they are not even NEET or All-MMORPG types. Also, there is a huge difference in the environment or culture they have grown up in. There is a considerable difference between cultures and where people are coming from. It may not be the case in western countries as much but in other parts of the world, there are relatively more people in their 30s who can still be hesitant, shy and lack serious confidence when it comes to relationships.

Ask Shibata from DameKoi, Rinko from Tarareba Musume or Kie from Koudai-ke who are in the same age bracket as Morioka.

Does anyone realize why these manga are award winning bestsellers in Japan?
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 10, 2017 10:54 AM
Mar 2015
People don't seem to realize that the current age of 1st marriages is 31 and 29 for men and women in Japan. If they realized that they would not be expecting people in HS romcoms to marry right out of HS The people in Netsume are just about the right age for marriage in Japan
Dec 10, 2017 12:00 PM

May 2016
Well, their characters' social inaptness was generally too much... would be but the series made it approvable. They were likeable. Awkward but not too stupid. E.g. she went on a date and took an objective look at herself (as a woman I know her check was relatable :))). She went to his place but thought of matters which were quite made sense. He was insecure but he still made movements to slowly approach her.

I disagree to put in Japanese standards or shy people standards. Wouldn't be the whole case about discarding standards?!

This show was endearing. We can come up with problems why does the society leads some people live their life this way but kinda sad to come up with criticising about a fluffy anime like this.

Dec 10, 2017 12:57 PM

Oct 2010
Sometimes I think I should feel bad for finding low self-esteem to be moe. Men praise confidence, but on the other hand there's the fantasy of getting to be the one to make a woman feel better about herself. OneDirection: "You don't know you're beautiful / That's what makes you beautiful."

I would have been more satisfied if Sakurai had not been interrupted those two times, but still, I'm satisfied with the hand-holding. Early on, I was worried that they wouldn't get as far as they did. I wasn't even sure they'd find out who Lily and Hayashi were by the end. That's typically the problem with adaptations of ongoing manga.

This spring show looks likely to satisfy everyone, assuming it doesn't turn out to be a short:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35968/Wotaku_ni_Koi_wa_Muzukashii

"After discovering that they work at the same company, a gaming crazed otaku and a fujoshi [both 26] meet each other for the first time since middle school. After some post-work drinking sessions they begin dating, but will it be a perfect relationship for the two?"

bunnydesuuu: "This story is really cute, much like Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, but with a developing relationship instead of a crush. It also has a pair of side characters that seem to have a very good relationship." https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=209456

TeKSMeLater: "The manga is really cute. It's high levels of no-conflict adorableness and a strong supporting couple."

shanimebib said:
Ask Shibata from DameKoi, Rinko from Tarareba Musume or Kie from Koudai-ke who are in the same age bracket as Morioka.

*skims synopses and reviews*
*adds all to PTR*

Dec 10, 2017 5:23 PM

Aug 2008
I think it's refreshing to see an anime with characters older than high school age. It's nice for us anime fans to have characters closer to our ages, makes it a bit easier to relate.

Dec 11, 2017 10:41 AM

Apr 2016
The voice acting, direction and the dialogues are over the top to a point I would call it "bad".

It' s really cliche but sadly it is neither funny, neither believable when it is to THAT point.

Immature and shy people in their 30's ? Why not ? I can relate :)
Speaking like that ? never !

It's still a nice romance but the acting and the writing are the burdens that are bringing this show down to the average range.

It sure could have been better and I can understand why some people complain. I might be one of them.
Dec 11, 2017 2:44 PM

Jun 2012
Kittens-kun said:
Stormen said:

It's valid criticism... when a majority of people chose this show in the first place hoping to AVOID tween drama and cliches it is then Very jarring to see Moriko literally drop to her knees with the "I'm SO EMBARRASSED!" line in public.

How could Moriko even complete a job interview with that timid nature... another thing that is UNRESOLVED by the series end. What happened when she quit? What was the moment she couldn't take it anymore, and why did she have a Nightmare about work in episode 2? The problem is we are TOLD things and not shown them, Sakurai said Mori was likely good at her job, yet we get just one short conversation with Koiwai in a flashback showing Moriko actually being stressed out.

There's having an "Inner Child", and then there's acting straight up "Immature" for your age. I know modern colleges and parenting coddles kids until they are adults essentially extending childhood indefinitely, but that is NOT enjoyable to watch when we "thought" the show would be a bit deeper when dealing with older protags. The show is called RECOVERY of an MMO Junkie, you can't blame people for criticizing it when it simply does not have any "RECOVERY" in it besides Mori cutting her hair and holding hands with Sakurai

Koiwai was "childish", but he was actually one of the most "mature" of the cast. He got a new job, encouraged Moriko, and even set Her and Sakurai up... think about that for a moment. Look at my Sig, I love Moriko, but the show's attempt to make her even more "doki doki" cutsey betrayed the interesting maturity a woman of her age WOULD have, especially in Japanese society, regardless of her recent NEET status.

THAT is Valid Criticism, stop conflating that with "complaining". I'm going to assess that you would have liked a tween drama better, but tweens Do Not have the same responsibilities as Adults, and the show could have been a very unique and interesting ride if it kept the plot but EXPANDED on how NEET status effects your living responsibilities.

Moriko was jobless and going into SAVINGS for her food, rent, and MMO life... I don't need to tell actual working folk that you can't live like that forever, but the show simply ignores it. Dealing with an angry landlord and dodging rent could have been funny and/or interesting on her road to "Recovery", but as it stands there is No Recovery... just immature acting leads doing so solely to make a more cutesy and innocent romance... in a show that doesn't even have a romance tag.
luigi-dudeDec 11, 2017 2:52 PM
Dec 11, 2017 6:36 PM

May 2015
@luigi-dude I don't really care what age they are. And I don't care how they act either. It IS complaining, and it's only valid criticism if you have the mindset that ALL adults should act, and do act like adults. I don't think I need to explain why that mindset makes no sense. Especially when you apply it to a situation where the characters are from a different culture than your own.

Dec 11, 2017 7:38 PM

Nov 2007
luigi-dude said:
...in a show that doesn't even have a romance tag.

If you mean in MAL, it does now because it was a mistake from MAL's part (like in many other shows which are wrongly tagged). The original source definitely says it's a romance story.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 13, 2017 4:08 PM

Jun 2012
Kittens-kun said:
@luigi-dude I don't really care what age they are. And I don't care how they act either. It IS complaining, and it's only valid criticism if you have the mindset that ALL adults should act, and do act like adults. I don't think I need to explain why that mindset makes no sense. Especially when you apply it to a situation where the characters are from a different culture than your own.

Cultural differences make no difference when it comes to being a functioning member of society. Freeloaders are never appreciated, and NEETs are rightly ostracized for being drains. Your rebuttal does nothing to de-legitimize my statements, but I'll go ahead and bullet the important ones for you to read again.

-There is no recovery besides holding hands in the show about recovering from MMO addiction.

-The crucible for Mori quitting her job is not expanded upon, and her financial responsibilities for feeding herself and LIVING are just swept under the anime rug

-The show's main selling point was being different by having ADULT characters working their way through a Netoge situation, but the immaturity seen from the MCs (especially our lead) for the sake of doki doki drama was unbelievable and made the entire age change pointless. It may as well have been 14 year olds talking.

Enjoy your eternal preteen angst shows, some of us were expecting a more adult scenario from this show's synopsis. I'm done, along with this show.

Dec 13, 2017 5:26 PM

May 2015
luigi-dude said:
Kittens-kun said:

Cultural differences make no difference when it comes to being a functioning member of society. Freeloaders are never appreciated, and NEETs are rightly ostracized for being drains. Your rebuttal does nothing to de-legitimize my statements, but I'll go ahead and bullet the important ones for you to read again.

-There is no recovery besides holding hands in the show about recovering from MMO addiction.

-The crucible for Mori quitting her job is not expanded upon, and her financial responsibilities for feeding herself and LIVING are just swept under the anime rug

-The show's main selling point was being different by having ADULT characters working their way through a Netoge situation, but the immaturity seen from the MCs (especially our lead) for the sake of doki doki drama was unbelievable and made the entire age change pointless. It may as well have been 14 year olds talking.

Enjoy your eternal preteen angst shows, some of us were expecting a more adult scenario from this show's synopsis. I'm done, along with this show.

Enjoy complaining about nothing.

Dec 13, 2017 7:16 PM
Nov 2011
luigi-dude said:
Kittens-kun said:

It's valid criticism... when a majority of people chose this show in the first place hoping to AVOID tween drama and cliches it is then Very jarring to see Moriko literally drop to her knees with the "I'm SO EMBARRASSED!" line in public.

How could Moriko even complete a job interview with that timid nature... another thing that is UNRESOLVED by the series end. What happened when she quit? What was the moment she couldn't take it anymore, and why did she have a Nightmare about work in episode 2? The problem is we are TOLD things and not shown them, Sakurai said Mori was likely good at her job, yet we get just one short conversation with Koiwai in a flashback showing Moriko actually being stressed out.

There's having an "Inner Child", and then there's acting straight up "Immature" for your age. I know modern colleges and parenting coddles kids until they are adults essentially extending childhood indefinitely, but that is NOT enjoyable to watch when we "thought" the show would be a bit deeper when dealing with older protags. The show is called RECOVERY of an MMO Junkie, you can't blame people for criticizing it when it simply does not have any "RECOVERY" in it besides Mori cutting her hair and holding hands with Sakurai

Koiwai was "childish", but he was actually one of the most "mature" of the cast. He got a new job, encouraged Moriko, and even set Her and Sakurai up... think about that for a moment. Look at my Sig, I love Moriko, but the show's attempt to make her even more "doki doki" cutsey betrayed the interesting maturity a woman of her age WOULD have, especially in Japanese society, regardless of her recent NEET status.

THAT is Valid Criticism, stop conflating that with "complaining". I'm going to assess that you would have liked a tween drama better, but tweens Do Not have the same responsibilities as Adults, and the show could have been a very unique and interesting ride if it kept the plot but EXPANDED on how NEET status effects your living responsibilities.

Moriko was jobless and going into SAVINGS for her food, rent, and MMO life... I don't need to tell actual working folk that you can't live like that forever, but the show simply ignores it. Dealing with an angry landlord and dodging rent could have been funny and/or interesting on her road to "Recovery", but as it stands there is No Recovery... just immature acting leads doing so solely to make a more cutesy and innocent romance... in a show that doesn't even have a romance tag.

OK, how many times do I have to repeat THIS? What if they're both aspergers? What if they're both autists? What if they have mental traumas that don't let them socialize?

Also who's talking about having an inner child, this is about EXPERIENCE and WHAT THEY LIVER, not EVERYONE at this age has that mature mindset you expect us to have, and I repeat once and again...YOU'RE STEREOTYPING!!! Not everyone at this age is like the zombie robots you pretend us to be... Moriko and Yuuta are not that kind of robot from society age-opressors like you want us to be... DEAL WITH IT!!!

Seriously, people who think like you is why I think relationships at this age SUCK!!!
Mau-KunDec 13, 2017 7:26 PM
Dec 13, 2017 9:29 PM

Dec 2009
They acted like their ages and it was refreshing. Mature romance anime... few and far between!

Also, I gotta say it's always funny to see people try to diagnose cartoon characters.
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 13, 2017 9:43 PM

Apr 2013
luigi-dude said:
but as it stands there is No Recovery... just immature acting leads doing so solely to make a more cutesy and innocent romance... in a show that doesn't even have a romance tag.

I would argue that it's titled after the comic which (i would assume) is much more ahead in the story. (In otherwords, in the longer comic, it's likely the plot is moving towards recovery). But even so, we have seen Morioka making progress towards recovery???? From changing her appearance to the very end when she says she wants to become someone who would not only embarrass Sakurai in public, but also not embarrass herself.

I don't know what kind of grand recovery progress you were expecting knowing this would only be 10 episodes, especially when the tone of the show was pretty clear from the earlier episodes. Even more so, I don't know how you could get all the way to episode 10 and still have expected something different. If we ever get a season 2 (and gosh I hope we do, because I for one really enjoyed it), I feel like we'd see even more of Morioka's recovery.
Dec 13, 2017 11:29 PM

Dec 2009
coyoteclaw11 said:

I don't know what kind of grand recovery progress you were expecting knowing this would only be 10 episodes,
Couldn't have said it better myself!
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 28, 2017 1:42 PM
Nov 2013
i wiil say this : 100 people , 100 different personalities

some people are shy and awkward even older then protagonists, i too almost quit job because of other coworkers social pressure , why do you dont have kids ?, when do you get maried ? , come to drink with us (never ended good)

after school i begun going to work , socialze with my friends from time to time , find some girls (never hold up too long) but still somebody must critize my style of life and put pressure on me and it only causes me depression
i too have inner voice saying me things like moriko in anime , so it is not unrealistic , yes some things are too much coincidence but it is for dramatization purpose
Dec 30, 2017 6:03 PM

Dec 2017
Acted their age from what I've seen in the world. Everybody has a personality that distinguishes them from other people. The show did that well. Also ten ep for the show can't explain enough @Luigi-dude.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Jan 5, 2018 6:56 AM
Sep 2011
Pretty sure some of the stuff was made cutesy to avoid it being cripplingly depressing which IMO was the right call. Aside from typical anime styling the characters act fairly realistically. When the cat girl guessed moriko was a university student and she didn't have it in her to tell the truth I could relate so well. This show really feels like it was written by someone who has been there and I can vouch for a lot of its authenticity. If anything moriko is more successful in social situations than might be expected.
(placeholder sig)
Jan 11, 2018 7:54 AM

Sep 2017
I am 33 and I haven't seen anything strange about this woman's behavior - do adults always have to be stiff and serious in every situation? Don't they have a right to be shy? Feel stupid? Ashamed? Socially awkward? Play games or, how awful, watch anime? I thought she was completely normal - it was just the kind of personality she has, that's all.
Feb 12, 2018 2:08 AM
Feb 2011
The forums are pretty bare, now that the anime has been done for awhile but this thread really had me curious. I've been a teenager and an adult +30 and this show is mild in regards to anime vs real life of the teen rom coms out there. I want to beat up half of the main characters of those shows. Dating is actually harder and you have quite a bit more baggage at 30 than you do it your teens. I'd say dating at 30, you are more insecure than in your teens.

It appears that the people that have the biggest issue with the characters, not meet a standard for the age, are younger themselves. All I've seen is the people over 30 not having a problem with it. Is it a little over the top? Yeah, but isn't that anime?
Mar 7, 2018 8:32 AM

Feb 2012
Point number 1: the female protagonist in this anime does not live in a big apartment. She does not seem to have a lot of luxury. She gets her food from a convenience store. She has an old computer that is in need of repair during the anime. Living that way, it is entirely possible to squirrel away enough money between your late teens and into your 30s to not work for quite a while if you're living on your savings.

Point number 2: believe it or not children, everyone does not mature at the same rate. There are 30 year olds who have not had intimate relations. Usually, there was something different about them or their lives, but they do exist and there's more of them than you think. There are many 30 year olds and older both women and men who still like video games and anime.

Point number 3: being an adult is not fun. I will repeat, being an adult is not fun. a lot of us like to escape into things like books, anime, video games, you name it if you can escape into it we've tried it. This is extremely realistic!

Point number 4: you do realize that since you have complained about their ages, and I'm not acting "adult" enough, you will be expected to, give up everything "childish" by the time you are 23. This includes movies anime any childhood books you liked any books that are below your age group but are acceptable for anyone else to read, Disney movies, certain television shows, after all the CW is intended for teenagers, once you're an "adult" you should be watching that sort of thing. You'll be expected to live for vacation because that is the only time you'll be allowed to relax. You'll be expected to be buried with the typical 2.5 children, you must work a full-time job, take care of the said children, and help your spouse take care of the house. Good luck finding free time.

Just like everything else in life, adulting is relative. Every adult is an adult to a different level. You have not lived their life, no one but them has. Therefore, you have no right to judge them just like they have no right to judge you. Piss off, let people live, and don't trip something you haven't lived through!
Mar 8, 2018 11:47 AM
May 2017
yeah i know that feel bruh
my age is 26 and still have problem with social relationship, when i try it harder to socialize sometimes my brain feel hurt and blank sometimes (especially to woman), my friend called me arrogant and i've tell them once but they never want to understand, oh and also i have same mind like morioka about how negative thinking she is, like it's all my fault, so embarassing
Mar 8, 2018 11:53 AM

Jun 2011
People thought they didn't act their age? Weird. I am 27 and my husband is 28. He totally acts like Sakurai (and looks like him and gets similar teasing from male friends because he is pretty feminine and plays girl characters). And he has ADHD and OCD.

I am autistic/ADHD. and I really identified heavily with Moriko.

Additionally, I know many other people who are failure to launch types who are more like Moriko, they don't have any illness, just failed to launch which lowers confidence a lot. Graduating in 2007-2010 really meant failure around here...
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 8, 2018 12:01 PM

Jun 2011
Crusader_8 said:
They acted like their ages and it was refreshing. Mature romance anime... few and far between!

Also, I gotta say it's always funny to see people try to diagnose cartoon characters.

Just failing to launch in my experience lowers confidence of anyone regardless of actual ability. I am young+disabled and that is a huge hit to confidence compared to how I felt my life would be when I was 18. I think most people are more optimistic when they are teenagers. The great recession affected me and many other people my age. And is still effecting those who graduated in 2008 or 2009 the most. People who never had a job, but are not disabled, and jobs keep asking why they didn't have a job for all those years.... but the truth is, they never stopped looking, but they look less and less appealing as they get older and continue to not have a job and nobody hiring them.... And it is a vicious cycle where you missed the cut off line....
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 8, 2018 12:53 PM

Dec 2009
Energetic-Nova said:
Crusader_8 said:

Just failing to launch in my experience lowers confidence of anyone regardless of actual ability. I am young+disabled and that is a huge hit to confidence compared to how I felt my life would be when I was 18. I think most people are more optimistic when they are teenagers. The great recession affected me and many other people my age. And is still effecting those who graduated in 2008 or 2009 the most. People who never had a job, but are not disabled, and jobs keep asking why they didn't have a job for all those years.... but the truth is, they never stopped looking, but they look less and less appealing as they get older and continue to not have a job and nobody hiring them.... And it is a vicious cycle where you missed the cut off line....
i feel you. I was lucky in 08-09 as i managed to avoid layoff for a few more years, but since 2011 ive had to go from job to job just like my friends. And although the economy has mostly recovered, most business continue to maintain their anti-employee, anti-applicant practices. Many of these businesses even now will maintain that the "bad economy" is still the reason why they'll screw anyone over to save a dollar. The recession will be the rallying cry (read: excuse) of the unscrupulous and tenacious for years to come.

Mmo junkie did a good jib imo of portraying those our age who were affected the most by this era

~

Dec 24, 2018 9:42 AM

Oct 2008
I really wonder how many people who complained about the character's maturity are actually in their 30s. Regardless, we never do get to see these characters much in their professional capacity. If I've learned anything about being an "adult", it's that it's all about putting on airs. In reality, no one is as confident or as mature as they portray themselves to be. Because only you yourself are privy to your own personal thoughts and insecurities, you always think that everyone around you is the shining paragon of maturity. I can guarantee, everyone has issues of their own.

And as many people have already posted, there are as many "right" pathways through life as there are people. Holding others to the standard that you hold yourself to is just plain unfair.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Net-juu no Susume Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2017

312 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
Mar 29, 5:55 AM

Poll: » Net-juu no Susume Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2017

178 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
Mar 29, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Net-juu no Susume Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2017

186 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
Mar 29, 2:18 AM

Poll: » Net-juu no Susume Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2017

155 by Forum »»
Feb 15, 8:23 AM

» The kind of ending I really hate

mufarari - Feb 7

4 by Musanka »»
Feb 9, 2:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.