Forum Settings
Forums

Watching airing anime VS watching aired anime

New
Nov 13, 2017 12:10 PM
Aug 2015
I'm still quiet new to anime (2000 episodes with rewatch), but I haven't watched a single time an anime during it's airing time.

I assume it's pretty frustrating to have to wait 1 week for each episode (I already experience that with mangas).

I think that watching an anime with all the episodes available has a lot of pros.
You're immersed in the vibe of the show, you're fully focused on it, you're commited to it in some way, you pay attention to all the details, try to guess what's gonna happen, etc.

Also, I couldn't watch a tragic anime and a parody comedy at the same time, it would destroy the mood.

I have no idea if more people watch airing anime or anime after they're aired.
So what's your thing?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 13, 2017 12:19 PM

Aug 2017
Im new To anime and i watched almost only aired anime , but i also watch some airing anime ( like inuyashiki) and i find interesting to think about the last ep when i'm waiting for the next .But i prefer to watch aired anime in 1 time bcs i'm more "immersed" in the show .
Nov 13, 2017 12:20 PM

Feb 2016
Same shit, but I started losing interest in watching many episodes together so I find it easier to watch things weekly.
Nov 13, 2017 1:19 PM

Mar 2013
I like both.

What I like about airing anime is that you can talk about it with other fans or friends while it's still airing so If you like discussing with people and watching other people's reaction then it can be fun. Technically you could do the same for aired anime but if it has been more than 2 or 3 years since it aired then the hype as died down and not many people are talking about it.

As for aired anime, you can binge all the series you want without having to wait a week for new episodes so in that regard it can be more satisfying. I watch aired anime in between airing anime when there are no more new episodes for the day/week.

Nov 13, 2017 4:20 PM

Oct 2015
In my case, I watch aired anime and weekly anime. That is why I don't have human interaction.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Nov 13, 2017 4:24 PM

Nov 2017
I prefer aired animes because just like you waiting an entire week for just 20 minutes is too long and frustrating. Of course I could watch other Animes in the meantime but I want to focus on only on show. If there's an interesting Anime for me I usually want to watch 3-4 episodes per day instead of waiting such a long time for the next episode. I also don't really care for the current Anime season so there's no reason for me to watch an airing show right now.
Nov 13, 2017 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
Does it really matter?

And there are more aired anime to watch
Nov 13, 2017 4:30 PM

Apr 2017
Like most people say, it doesn't really matter, as long as you enjoy what you're watching or want to watch.

Personally I watch about 2 airing at the same time (so I don't get overloaded), and at least 2 already finished/aired anime on the side so I don't have to wait a whole week to watch the next episode of the airing anime. Keeps the balance okay, and you don't feel stressed about catching up on anything.
Nov 13, 2017 4:34 PM
dozing general

Oct 2017
I’m pretty new to anime as well, this season is the first time I’m watching a couple shows as they air

I prefer aired anime as well though. I want to know how the story ends as quick as possible. I agree with the whole immersion thing, hard to get into it when you’re watching 20 mins a week. If you like the show enough it’s worth it though
Nov 13, 2017 5:05 PM

Jan 2014
I like watching anime as they air, I've watched plenty of anime now that I just watch airing Animes seasonally, I've found it hard to go digging for a good aired show unless someone highly recommends me one, or I've just been lazier over the years lmao or maybe another factor is I've been getting into Kdrama more lately. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ToppyS2Nov 13, 2017 5:08 PM
Nov 13, 2017 5:12 PM

Jan 2014
I like both airing and aired. It's actually not that bad to wait 1 week considering I'm watching like 30 airing shows lmao. It would be overwhelming if they all aired every episode at the same time. But if you only watch like less than 10 airing shows, then I guess that could be annoying.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 13, 2017 5:15 PM
Jul 2017
Doesn't matter. I watch all the anime I like. Though I feel like I should watch more aired anime.
Nov 13, 2017 5:21 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I mostly watch aired anime these days. Last year and the beginning of this year I was much more into seasonals but it just became to feel more like a date and an obligation to keep up with them, which ultimately just became a pain in the ass to have found myself in too many situations where I'd watched half of something, stopped watching it, then 6 weeks later come back to finish it. I don't really like spreading out my watching habits too much like that.

Nov 13, 2017 5:35 PM

Jan 2017
It's definitely better to watch anime that has already aired. You can watch it at your own pace and don't need to wait a whole week for <20 minutes of content.
My name is 3DPD and this is my Internet forum signature. If there's anything I've learned in 21 years of using Internet forums, it's that life is meaningless and nothing we say or do here will matter in the grand scheme of things.
Nov 13, 2017 5:36 PM

Jun 2017
When you get more used to currently airing series, it seems like the episodes come faster and it doesn’t feel like a week has already passed since the last episode. At least, for me it does. That’s how I’m able to handle watching weekly shows without going crazy about the next episode that airs in the following week. Plus, adding in already aired shows lets me watch something when I’m waiting for new episodes, so doing both at the same time is easy for me.

Either way, my watching habits are nowhere near healthy. And watching both airing and aired anime is fine.
what am i doing?

Nov 13, 2017 5:54 PM

Oct 2015
Oddly enough I suffer from burnout watching weekly episodes more than entire series sittings.
I usually watch the first 4 episodes or so of every anime that interests me every season, then lose interest and wait for them to finish airing to complete.

In contrast I will sit through 12 episode anime in one day generally, and only those that are 20 or more episodes might last more than one sitting if the pacing is done in a way that makes it hard to maintain interest.
Then again, I watched all 72 episodes of the Eureka Seven franchise in one sitting. So I'm probably not an accurate sample.
Nov 13, 2017 6:08 PM
Apr 2015
I started just watching aired anime, for the same reason many have already mentioned: I can just sit there and watch the entire series without interrupting the immersion.

Watching airing series isn't so bad for me, as I have an episode or two every day of the week this season but some seasons when I have mid-week downtime is the perfect time to crack open the PTW list
Nov 13, 2017 6:12 PM
Jul 2018
At first, I tried to only watch completed anime, for the reasons you listed.
But I gave up, after realizing that I'd never finish my plan to watch list at that rate.
So I watch airing anime, while watching 1 ep of an already completed anime, every day.
Nov 13, 2017 6:19 PM
Nov 2014
Waiting for anime each week can be annoying but watching them week by week is fun to do. You're waiting for the next episode which leaves you feeling the suspense. Watching different anime at the same time isn't a problem for me.

I remember I was watching One Piece and was all caught up, but it was so tedious to watch it weekly because almost nothing happened. So I stopped watching it altogether till there was about 150 episodes out and watched it.

I've noticed that if the airing anime suck I just watch aired, and if the airing are good I just watch them.
Nov 13, 2017 6:36 PM

Dec 2012
I do both. Watch stuff weekly (watching 6 of those) and marathon finished series as a whole or chunks of episodes (Finished Grimgar yesterday).
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 13, 2017 6:40 PM

Apr 2016
I prefer watching the anime when it airs because in that way I can take part in discussions (not here, but in another streaming site). I don't really have a problem waiting a week for the episodes. But I do wait for some anime to finish before watching them, like Shokugeki S3.

But I always have one or two finished anime on my watching list every season.
Nov 13, 2017 6:43 PM

Nov 2016
Δ° mostly prefer aired anime but sometimes i see too much post,gif,comment etc. about some airing animes that makes me curious so i watch them.
Nov 13, 2017 6:51 PM

Oct 2016
I was like that at first too. But now I watch both. Like right now I'm watching Naruto but if I only watch that I will get bored. So at the same time I watch airing shows. This is also good because I can join in with the hype. Last year I watched very few shows so I couldn't participate in anime rankings and awards. There have been very few shows this year that made frustrated for the next episode so its not that bad.
Primerose003
Nov 13, 2017 7:02 PM
Oct 2017
I prefer airing anime, bc I'm too lazy to watch so many episodes, I take even months to watch aired anime completely, but there are somes that I watch faster, or even in a go if the anime intrigues me a lot
Nov 13, 2017 7:09 PM

Jul 2017
I like airing anime because it gives me something to look forward to every week, even though it kinda kills sometimes to wait for the next episode.

Aired anime is cool too bc it lets me kill time when I have nothing to do.

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Nov 13, 2017 7:48 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
Watching currently airing stuff only has positives when you know you can have good conversation about the show. Obviously this can't be perceived at the beginning of each season unless it's sequels and I think it's just as good to know length, some do get approved for 24 episodes and it's hell to do that unless you're having the best time with the series.

Watching it finished will never have consequence unless you have to wait for more new seasons.
Nov 13, 2017 7:53 PM

Jun 2013
Aquamirror said:
Same shit, but I started losing interest in watching many episodes together so I find it easier to watch things weekly.
Exactly like me it's less time consuming and chances to burn out is very low.
BenXBlack93Nov 13, 2017 7:57 PM
Nov 13, 2017 8:14 PM

Nov 2014
On the other hand, I find splitting things apart is easier than watching everything together.

The "whole watching together for more immersion" works the other way as well, in fact more often so. Watching everything together can be incredibly boring for the vast majority of anime. Few shows can hold my interest/intrigue/amusement for a long period, most those shows BTW you can see them rated 8/10 and above on my list (granted there are some exceptions both ways).
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 14, 2017 8:49 AM
Aug 2016
It's literally the same shit for me :^)
Nov 14, 2017 10:06 AM

Sep 2017
I prefer aired anime but since you got a high chance getting spoiled subconsciously then I just watch airing anime. Hard to find an aired anime that interests me.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 14, 2017 10:10 AM

Jul 2015
I prefer marathon everything
Can't wait for 1 week only for 20 min
Nov 14, 2017 10:34 AM

Aug 2017
Both. I like to watch about 4-6 airing shows and 1-2 aired shows, switching them when completed.
Nov 14, 2017 10:36 AM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
Both for myself as well. Personally I have a ratio of like 20 animes for each new anime I watch, so all my anime seasons lately have been overly busy!^u^
Nov 14, 2017 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
For me only the airing anime gets completed. the aired anime are usually watched during airing and then just forgotten along the way for months and years. Sometimes I get those aired animes completed but that's the same thing. They just get forgotten.
Nov 14, 2017 10:50 AM

Jun 2015
when i first started watching anime never knew seasonals exist, so i was basically watching aired animes. It was around Summer of 7th grade i got into airing seasonals, and i enjoy seasonals more. Now a days atleast ill watch a seasonal over an aired. Yes there are pros and cons its all your own opinion. I dont really enjoy waiting, but at the same time im patient enough to wait since i am busy w/ school. Also im able to keep up with watching seasonals at the same time watch aired animes, and it isnt a problem retaining each ep.
Nov 14, 2017 11:25 AM

Oct 2014
I watch mostly aired anime. To me it feels less like waiting a week for an episode and more like waiting three months for an anime. I'm used to finishing my anime quickly so taking three months to finish one feels too slow.
Nov 14, 2017 11:51 AM

Jul 2015
I always watch...finished series, always.
Nov 14, 2017 1:09 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I stick to watching aired anime. Going seasonal is frustrating.
Nov 14, 2017 1:46 PM
Aug 2015
Robinxen said:
Oddly enough I suffer from burnout watching weekly episodes more than entire series sittings.
I usually watch the first 4 episodes or so of every anime that interests me every season, then lose interest and wait for them to finish airing to complete.

In contrast I will sit through 12 episode anime in one day generally, and only those that are 20 or more episodes might last more than one sitting if the pacing is done in a way that makes it hard to maintain interest.
Then again, I watched all 72 episodes of the Eureka Seven franchise in one sitting. So I'm probably not an accurate sample.

72 episodes in one sitting? Holy shit.
That's 30 hours with taking into acount picking up food/drinking/pissing.
My record is like 25 episodes in two days.

I think that I wouldn't be able to appreciate it after 10 episodes, but that would be a funny thing to do. "-How many days FMA:B took you? -Dunno, 1, I think"
Nov 14, 2017 1:59 PM

Oct 2015
TheAskald said:
Robinxen said:

I watched all 72 episodes of the Eureka Seven franchise in one sitting. So I'm probably not an accurate sample.

72 episodes in one sitting? Holy shit.
That's 30 hours with taking into acount picking up food/drinking/pissing.
My record is like 25 episodes in two days.

I think that I wouldn't be able to appreciate it after 10 episodes, but that would be a funny thing to do. "-How many days FMA:B took you? -Dunno, 1, I think"

It did involve an all-nighter, remains my current record and I won't be attempting anything similar in the near future. Other than that, I think around 30 episodes of Fairy Tail is my second longest sitting.
More recently though I watch about six episodes, then take a break and watch another 6 in the evening. And this season there is nothing I am watching weekly. It's quite interesting to look at your viewing trends. It's too bad I don't have an accurate way of measuring my old ones.
Nov 14, 2017 2:21 PM

Aug 2013
I never watch airing anime unless it's a sequel and I want to be caught up. New airing anime pose a huge risk of turning into trash, so I want to know what happens before I start.
Nov 14, 2017 2:47 PM

Apr 2016
The fun about airing anime is having an intense/good/shit cliffhangs like you could wish for more and yeah discussing it with fellow MAL members after episode is quite fun.

Aired shows is nice with friends; but if i'm the only one watching it, its quite boring especially those anime threads is old.

Most of the time, I wait for the airing shows to end and then watch it in a single run, after that I discuss it in the finale of the show.
Why do we have to live in such a cruel world?

Nov 14, 2017 4:11 PM

Oct 2017
Euphoria said:
The fun about airing anime is having an intense/good/shit cliffhangs like you could wish for more and yeah discussing it with fellow MAL members after episode is quite fun.

Exactly. Most people don't understand why Erased (boku dake ga inai machi) is rated so highly because they saw it in one sitting or just a few days and saw the shitty ending way too quickly.

I can't binge anything. Makes me feel like I'm missing the feel of how its meant to watched. So picking up a lot of anime at the same time is what I do.

We can only have good tea
while we're alive.

Nov 15, 2017 4:02 AM
Aug 2015
Head_Hunter47 said:
Euphoria said:

Exactly. Most people don't understand why Erased (boku dake ga inai machi) is rated so highly because they saw it in one sitting or just a few days and saw the shitty ending way too quickly.

I can't binge anything. Makes me feel like I'm missing the feel of how its meant to watched. So picking up a lot of anime at the same time is what I do.

So you end up enjoying a show because of the hype and discussions but not for itself?
I have the impression that a lot of anime watchers watch shows for arguing about it and being on the hype train. While I doesn't judge this to be bad, I find it weird.
It's almost like if they didn't like anime itself anymore and they needed extra distractions for forcing themself to keep watching anime.

Like if anime was only a weekly trendy 20min enternainment that is consumed and forgotten later.

But I agree that being able to argue about the anime airing is a big plus.
As a aired anime watcher, I always read the episode discussions threads, but can't really enter the discussion as it's over.

Nov 15, 2017 4:04 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
If you get "frustrated" waiting ONE WEEK for something then idk what to tell you lol
Nov 15, 2017 4:15 AM

Feb 2017
Watching currently airing anime more fun. We feel more the progress of the show and the consistncy of the production quality.
We can discuss and read people opinion about each episode and feeling hype to wait another episode next week.

Mostly because if you watch it a cour or two cour of anime in one sit. You gonna forget about the detail so much and dont feel anything and forget it on the next week or month.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Nov 15, 2017 4:42 AM

Oct 2017
TheAskald said:
Head_Hunter47 said:

So you end up enjoying a show because of the hype and discussions but not for itself?
I have the impression that a lot of anime watchers watch shows for arguing about it and being on the hype train. While I doesn't judge this to be bad, I find it weird.
It's almost like if they didn't like anime itself anymore and they needed extra distractions for forcing themself to keep watching anime.

What??

Dude. I saw Erased when I didn't even know a thing called being hyped for anime.

I used to just type "upcoming anime [season] [year]" on youtube and see the list containing around 30 to know what was coming up.

We can only have good tea
while we're alive.

Nov 15, 2017 4:56 AM

Apr 2012
If an anime is aired one episode a week on television, it's going to be paced such that watching one episode a week is the ideal way to experience it, at least for the first time. (If not, then the creators have got their pacing wrong.) One of the great benefits of serialised television is that you get to regularly digest and even discuss what you've seen before taking in more, that makes it a better medium than film.
Nov 15, 2017 12:47 PM
Aug 2015
evoniee said:
Watching currently airing anime more fun. We feel more the progress of the show and the consistncy of the production quality.
We can discuss and read people opinion about each episode and feeling hype to wait another episode next week.

Mostly because if you watch it a cour or two cour of anime in one sit. You gonna forget about the detail so much and dont feel anything and forget it on the next week or month.

I agree with most of this.
But as an aired anime watcher, I write between 3 to 10 lines about each episode on a note, to have a mark of what I thought of it, so I never forget any anime I've watched.

Also, watching an aired anime doesn't mean you have to watch it in one sit.
1 cour anime takes me up to 1 week, and 2 cours animes between 1 week and 2 weeks depending on my enjoyment and free time.
Nov 15, 2017 12:48 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I do both since I dont have as much time as I used to tbh.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

33 by mentalmondai »»
18 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

19 by BitChilly »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

45 by Coaghim »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 8 hours ago

12 by rohan121 »»
5 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

65 by Pinoffin »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.