Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2017 6:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, I can't help but grin a little at the monster girls' disguises this episode.

There was some misunderstanding when they were tailing Quetzalcoatl during her date. Still pretty interesting to see the social lives of these characters. The show returned to its usual SOL style storytelling. Glad to see the kids return and Minami as well. Minami is quite an unique character imo being that she is an angel yet possesses many human characteristics.
Stark700Sep 10, 2017 7:45 AM
Sep 10, 2017 7:21 AM

Apr 2010
The day trough the eyes of different characters which was nice to see.
Cat people are popular it seems seeing the dates that is that Tama and the cat girl didn't seem to be a romantic relationship.
It was funny to see them walk with their arms tied tho, and the misunderstanding of Himeno was also funny.
Sep 10, 2017 8:20 AM

Jan 2012
Everyone, and I mean everyone, was spying on that date err dates! XD Ah yes, what IS art?
animefan8800Sep 10, 2017 8:24 AM
Sep 10, 2017 8:41 AM

Jun 2015
The girls look amusing in their disguises. They were following Quetzalcoatl during her date and so were some government people, and it was a lot of them. There was a Star Wars reference. "Interstellar Wars" lol It was funny when everyone thought Quetzalcoatl and her date was going to a love hotel. Manami's father works really hard on his paintings.
Sep 10, 2017 9:02 AM

Sep 2013
This episode is very ugly.
Sep 10, 2017 9:09 AM

Mar 2013
wasn't expecting 2 dates i assumed they would focus on quetz (why do I keep forgetting her name) and completely ignore the presidents date. not going to lie a part of me wanted to see just exactly what they would do if quetz and her date had gone to the hotel. the second date (still not sure if that was an actual date) focused too much on what is art and that is a good question.

the government agents spying thing is starting to get either really pointless and stupid or annoying and creepy. although I have to say I laughed a little when they didn't know that hime and the others were in disguise so they assumed that they were terrorists. it's moments like this that make the government look really paranoid about the smallest things rather than trying to gather info or protect quetz (I'm starting to hate myself for forgetting her name), but at the same time it kind of makes sense seeing as how they live in a time where anything can be considered offensive or disrespectful (that and all the history they have shown us which I love btw has shown us that being different means war).
Sep 10, 2017 9:10 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I know this by now but it's still ridiculous how they are getting spied at from different organizations, they showed it explicitly here. Really fucked but we know by now why they do this.

Inchou and her dad again, really like that they went back to this. She really cares for her father, it's great to see. He can't make money since he only resorts to painting real life situations basically, not doing abstract work which sells. But he loves doing it.
Sep 10, 2017 10:44 AM

Jan 2015
So they're adding more "detail" about the Date just for Inchou's part but less scene at her home. Too bad because I want to see Sue-chan more. :(
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Sep 10, 2017 10:46 AM

Aug 2013
Just 2 more weeks...thank the stars.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 10, 2017 10:48 AM
Jun 2016
My only issue with this episode was, "WHy not a illustrator." and such I kinda dislike these arguments over what is art, what should be art, and what we should or shouldn't focus on. Yes camera's and cgi have improved alot, but I stilllove a good painting.
Sep 10, 2017 11:05 AM
Feb 2014
2 weeks ago it was Quetzalcoatl and now Hime. They should not tail people.

Those 3 are definitely girls. If they were boys they would leave their friend and go watch the yuri date. :)
mandorallenSep 10, 2017 11:29 AM
Sep 10, 2017 2:42 PM

Aug 2016
This is a great show to sit back and relax to, but I always feel conflicted after an episode. Maybe that ED helps me get there too.

I'm still surprised by the messages it sends.
"To be Great is to be misunderstood." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
SaigoKensei said:
My mistake was assuming they had the same amount of information I had..
Sep 10, 2017 3:56 PM

Sep 2009
Aversa said:

Cat people are popular it seems seeing the dates that is that Tama and the cat girl didn't seem to be a romantic relationship.

In fact Omaki has a crush on Tama. But Tama is not aware or does not show it. If they decide to animate one related chapter, you'll see it.
Sep 10, 2017 4:33 PM
Feb 2013
Stark700 said:
Minami is quite an unique character imo being that she is an angel yet possesses many human characteristics.

Um... she's Human. Just like everyone else (except the Frog and Snake people). She's not actually an angel in the sense of being a divine being: she's just an Angelfolk, which is one of the many races of Humanity in this setting.
Sep 10, 2017 10:07 PM

Jan 2013
Decent episode. Quiet the different mood in throughout each episode.
I did enjoy the art conversation. Interesting perspective by Antarticans on art.
Sep 10, 2017 11:50 PM

May 2015
CONTEMPORARY ART! I DON'T GET IT EITHER! Which is why I didn't find this episode too exciting, but I did see the link between the two stories where art isn't easily understood but can be several different things. Not bad.

Man, with that many feds watching over the Antarctican, I would be afraid of even getting near one. It's like a war that's about to start!

Lol at the triplets switching places to model for their dad. And more adorable little Sue!

Girls are allowed to link arms eh? What about boys? Can boys link arms together too?

I do like how the characters wear different outfits in each episode.

And speaking of art...

TarotistNov 14, 2017 6:55 AM
Sep 11, 2017 1:18 AM

Feb 2013
Lesbian pair. Hey, where are cow-girls? Haha, get it? Ok ok, episode was boring.
Titan of 20+ virgins club.
Sep 11, 2017 4:01 AM

Jun 2016
Suu-chan had a date, but being spyed by the CIA, FBI, etc.? What the fuck? Please don't tell me that guy is a part of them, that'll hurt Suu-chan so much, maaan. That part where they thought they're going to check-in at the love hotel. Haha. But one of Hime's friends want them to check-in. Lmfao.

Honestly, I was never a fan of museums especially paintings since I don't understand it. Haha. I don't want to pretend I understand art around people who are so into art, maaan.

This episode's okay and I loved it. I loved when they showed two perspectives. Hehe.

More gay couples. Haha jk. :p

Tarotist said:
And speaking of art...

WINGS!

NO WINGS!

Holy shit! I didn't notice that. :O Some parts of this episode's animation looks ridiculous. Haha. Heck, still enjoyed it.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 11, 2017 7:40 AM
Nov 2010
Man those triplets always crack me up
Sep 11, 2017 8:32 AM
Aug 2015
the animation looks worse in this episode
Sep 11, 2017 7:15 PM

Aug 2012
That explanation about art got me even more confused...
Sep 11, 2017 8:02 PM

Jul 2015
They once again ditched most of the cute gay comedy in favor of DEEP MEANINGFUL CONVERSATIONS about things... Art is confusing.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Sep 11, 2017 9:58 PM

Jan 2008
Didn't think a date episode could get this boring. At least we got some of the triplets.
Sep 12, 2017 12:31 PM
Mar 2015
What happened with the animation in this episode? Did the budget just went down???

I mean, I could see weird eyes that Manami had, Sometimes Nozomi didnt have wings, then weird hands in some scene??
Sep 12, 2017 1:47 PM

Jul 2009
I really was thinking that class rep. were with a boy, I totally forgot her friend was very boyish...
Sep 12, 2017 3:12 PM

Jun 2013
A bit of a weaker episode when compared to how amazing episode ten was, but still a very solid episode nonetheless.
Sep 13, 2017 7:40 PM

Oct 2008
In my opinion, this is the most boring episode...
2/5.

Sep 16, 2017 12:15 AM
Mar 2012
Still slow but nice dual pov of the same timeline. Tama almost feels like real mc.
Standard basic stuff but nice talk on realism vs surrealism/modern art.
Even Duchamp's toilet dadaism and starwars referenced.
Tama unknowingly being conceited controlling dad's goal, trying too hard to be that mother figure. New yuri pair or just friends?
painter vs artist talk. Nice painting, maybe he just needs to join pixiv.
Sep 18, 2017 4:29 AM

Nov 2009
ariel_nugie said:
What happened with the animation in this episode? Did the budget just went down???

I mean, I could see weird eyes that Manami had, Sometimes Nozomi didnt have wings, then weird hands in some scene??

They probably are running out of money. Or too busy making episode 12

At least, episode 11 had some animation problems too.

TheDoggoneGirl said:
Suu-chan had a date, but being spyed by the CIA, FBI, etc.? What the fuck? Please don't tell me that guy is a part of them, that'll hurt Suu-chan so much, maaan.

No, that's normal thing for all these agencies to be following Suu-chan. She is like a foreign diplomat.
Sep 25, 2017 4:02 PM

Nov 2014
Modern art is nonsense, if you need to explain why something is good then it's not very good, if you need to explain the context behind something then it has failed to convey it's meaning. This was an episode focused on explaining nonsense and it wasn't very good at it.
Forum Signature
Sep 30, 2017 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
The question of contemporary art has been interesting in some ways, also because they have dealt with other aspects of society and the interpersonal relationships between the various characters. Irritating, as I'm dealing with this series at graphic level, scandalous!
Oct 15, 2017 3:11 PM

Nov 2013
Seeing this episode from different viewpoints was interesting. And I like how Himeno blabbed.

They caught the nature of modern art pretty good.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 18, 2017 7:35 PM

May 2012
Well that sure was a nice episode looking at it from both sides! Let's see what's next.
Dec 11, 2017 7:59 AM
Jul 2018
The dad kinda makes me mad... he needs a reality check. He should find employment so there is regular income for the family.
removed-userDec 11, 2017 8:06 AM
Mar 8, 2018 12:31 PM

Nov 2009
burberrygod said:
The dad kinda makes me mad... he needs a reality check. He should find employment so there is regular income for the family.

Their dad does have a regular job. We don't know what he actually does, but he seems to work in the office for a regular income. He doesn't seem to be well-paid, but that's not something that can be fixed with a simple change in outlook.
Painting is more of a hobby of his, even though he is pretty good at that.
Mar 9, 2018 5:37 AM
Jul 2018
flannan said:
burberrygod said:

Their dad does have a regular job. We don't know what he actually does, but he seems to work in the office for a regular income. He doesn't seem to be well-paid, but that's not something that can be fixed with a simple change in outlook.

Oh damn really? I must of missed that. Do you remember what part of the episode reveals this?
Mar 9, 2018 5:48 AM

Nov 2009
burberrygod said:
flannan said:

Oh damn really? I must of missed that. Do you remember what part of the episode reveals this?

Episode 3, the second half. Around 13:40 in my version.
Jun 16, 2019 7:57 AM

Aug 2018
Minami has it pretty bad at home. This was one of the best episodes as the went into Minami’s life.
Jul 28, 2019 3:27 AM

Apr 2013
I don't see the problem with her dad, he has a normal job and paints as a hobby. Nothing wrong with that as long as he doesn't neglect his duties as a father.
Apr 9, 2020 11:49 AM

May 2015
THANK..................FUCK!!!!!

So happy we're back to the usual stuff. God that last episode.

This episode had some funny moments with the agents and the main cast worrying that they're gonna go into a love hotel. It was exactly like Date a Live and I love it XD.

I hope we see more of Hime in the last two episodes.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
May 7, 2020 5:15 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Art and museum episode, it was rather boring unfortunately :/
May 7, 2020 5:16 PM

Mar 2019
Museum episode, boring
Apr 4, 2021 11:31 AM

Jan 2010
Suddenly a lesson in art history, particularly in terms of contemporary and pop art in the vein of Andy Warhol and Yayoi Kusama. Yeah, it's true that beginning in the 1950s, there was this infatuation with taking massed produced commercial products, reinterpreting and recontextualizing them in abstract manners. Eventually giving way to postmodernism, it takes a meta approach to art, seeing how far we can step back to see beyond a picture frame.

This episode served three purposes: exposing Sassassul to modern art, linking into Manami's family issues, and gesturing towards an ongoing theme in A Centaur's Life. I suppose that's the overarching goal of the series. It seems like A Centaur's Life aims to recontextualize real world issues in this imagined world of fantasy creatures taking the place of regular humans. This is a world where human art, historical events, mythology, infrastructure, societal friction between different nations and races, and governing systems are relatively the same. However, the show exaggerates the differences between races via their physical characteristics.

The show's moral seems to be staying vigilant at combatting stereotyping and discrimination. If, in this fantasy world slightly removed from ours, people can constantly stay mindful of their preconceived notions and actions, then surely we humans, with much less obvious physical variation, can do the same, if not better.

I guess at this point, I'd question the erotic undertones of the first episode, the openings, and various moments throughout the series. I'm generally okay with the mermaids, as that can be considered different cultural standards, although the show still played that up. These moments somewhat undermine the serious issues the show keeps bringing up without adding too much. I think the best usage of exploring sexual themes was episode 4, where the show discussed conformity with a perceived bodily standard. I understand that providing levity is important, though I'd like it to be more relevant. Although, thinking about it, perhaps this is a way of saying even with drastic physical variation between races, sexual interest would still exist and be treated as taboo in certain societies. I'm not exactly sure how much leeway A Centaur's Life should be given in that regard, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I know I'm being nitpicky about an otherwise absurd show, but since it's trying so hard to be serious, I'd like to try and take it seriously as well.
ShockedApr 4, 2021 11:37 AM
Apr 17, 2021 12:47 PM
Oct 2018
Chimerared said:
Modern art is nonsense, if you need to explain why something is good then it's not very good, if you need to explain the context behind something then it has failed to convey it's meaning. This was an episode focused on explaining nonsense and it wasn't very good at it.

kinda agree, I cringe every time this anime tries to convey me some globalist agenda.
also why every couple is lesbian and when boy was dating with the antartican it felt waay less genuine then those other couples. There is this "society good" feeling that cringes me out

Art talk part was the least boring part though.
Apr 17, 2021 12:59 PM
Oct 2018
When it comes to contemporary art, specially the ones that would only make sense to the artist that are brain dumps of them something. I think description is more the art part and gibberish is the completing attachment.

like "art" being a save file and description being the software that can open the file

If user still fails to understand it (can't distinguish it from ms-paint) than either file or software is bugged. After all, if it takes talent to draw more then stick figure, then benchmark of contemporary art should be the awe AND understandability factors.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2017

69 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 9:00 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2017

87 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:57 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2017

94 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:54 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2017

126 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:52 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2017

91 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 27, 2023 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.