3It was OK
10.3%
2Disliked it
5.1%
1Hated it
4.6%
Average 4.3
175 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 18, 2017 6:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, this episode got strange real fast especailly with the story style.

It featured very peculiar characters that were non-human in a sort of bizarre adventure. The one in particular that looked strange to me is the guy with the one eye.

A very bizarre episode, probably the most unique one from this series yet. Feelings are complicated.

Stark700Aug 18, 2017 7:44 AM
Aug 18, 2017 7:44 AM

Sep 2009
One of the best episode for this show. the artwork was simply gorgous.
Aug 18, 2017 8:09 AM

Jun 2015
This was an odd, yet very good episode. The art was quite unique and so was the story. The robot was Pol all along and he was forced to killed Pot or he wouldn't be able to become king. Nene got angry and destroyed his kingdom. Got to see them have fun together before all that happened. This episode was very strange from the start.
Aug 18, 2017 8:26 AM

Oct 2015
skipped the whole thing hopefully its the last of its kind they better waste budget on some actual animation not this cartoon stuff.....
Aug 18, 2017 10:20 AM
Mar 2017
It was a kinda strange episode , did not understand why did the witch woke up assuming that the mc did almost nothing ?
but It was Ok I guess , even if I hated the "drawing" style , I think it was made to denounce something ? like Idk , pol and pot = polpot ? from what I know he was the leader of the khmer or something ? anyway this show continue to surprise me a lot with all its different topics and story for one episode to an other , greatest show of summer for me
Aug 18, 2017 10:25 AM

Jun 2011
Pol
Pot

Pottery in the making
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Aug 18, 2017 10:32 AM

Sep 2013
It was the girl's dream affected by her surroundings.
I guess it all came together as her real desire to see someone and she woke up.
Pot and the cat dying might be who is dead in real life.
ichii_1Aug 18, 2017 10:41 AM
Aug 18, 2017 10:39 AM
Mar 2017
ichii_1 said:
It was the girl's dream affected by her surroundings.
I guess it all came together as her real desire to see someone and she woke up. Pot may be that person who is dead in real life.

But Why was she sleeping in the first time
, I mean what leaded her to get the disease thing ?
The problem here is that I had trouble getting attached to the girl because the did almost nothing special I guess ? In the other episode I somehow got attached to the other girls cause of their stories and the reason why they did get the disease , here it's more difficult
Aug 18, 2017 11:10 AM

Aug 2014
wait what? i didn't understand the story, i mean i understood it but i didn't get the point, the king lost all his loved ones and was executed and all that but were those characters just from a book she read? also who does she miss if that was the case? why was she in her dream-like state?

"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Aug 18, 2017 11:29 AM
Mar 2017
Mezo-RPWPA said:
wait what? i didn't understand the story, i mean i understood it but i didn't get the point, the king lost all his loved ones and was executed and all that but were those characters just from a book she read? also who does she miss if that was the case? why was she in her dream-like state?

Same feeling , I guess that the reason of this dream is the "Wizard of Oz" story thet she ears while she is sleeping .
Aug 18, 2017 11:32 AM

Aug 2014
Nek0n said:
Mezo-RPWPA said:

Same feeling , I guess that the reason of this dream is the "Wizard of Oz" story thet she ears while she is sleeping .

what? idk about the story of oz but do you mean that she heard the stuff around her while she was sleeping in a hospital for some reason and stayed in that dream?
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Aug 18, 2017 11:43 AM
Sep 2016
Well, I didn't understand the episode, but I found that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol_Pot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge

It helped me a lot!
Aug 18, 2017 11:57 AM
Mar 2017
Mezo-RPWPA said:
Nek0n said:

what? idk about the story of oz but do you mean that she heard the stuff around her while she was sleeping in a hospital for some reason and stayed in that dream?

well At the end of the episode you can see that whil she was sleeping she was listening to the story of Oz
Aug 18, 2017 12:17 PM

Sep 2015
So her dream are from information she keep hearing everyday?

I don't understand this "i want to see you" on the end.
are some of them was dream and some of them from her own memory?
Into the Internet!
Aug 18, 2017 12:22 PM
Mar 2017
ZBlastHistory said:
So her dream are from information she keep hearing everyday?

I don't understand this "i want to see you" on the end.
are some of them was dream and some of them from her own memory?

well I guess so , kinda hard to understand anyway
Aug 18, 2017 1:32 PM
Jun 2017
Ngl was losing hope for this series but this episode has renewed my hope a little. I Think this is the best episode yet, the animation, story and it's execution were unique and held my interest much more than the past 3 episodes.

I kinda liked the fact the mc didn't have to get involved, it seemed liked the general theme of this episode was a Karma type messege. "What goes around comes around" That's my understanding of why the mc & friends couldn't or more didn't get involved anyway.

Would love to see more really unique stories and animation as the series progresses, and some damn character development for Haruto and Lily.
Aug 18, 2017 2:27 PM

Mar 2015
the art and animations looked simple but were very good. the episode felt very unique (and the entire show is unique in on itself). i don't get the point of the story, though. the girl has Sleeping Beauty Syndrome for whatever reason that was never explained. she dreams up the entire story cause of The Wiizard of Oz playing while she was sleeping. the story is about a guy executing his friend to become king along with a huge part with the population along with 70k people that died from starvation. the girl goes through those 5 states. she ends up ruining the kingdom for him to realize what he has done. he feels regret but it's late as there's nothing left. the MC does practically nothing the entire episode and we have no idea how that connects to why the girl is asleep in the first place. i feel there is a lot of symbolism in the episode but i get none of it. if someone knew what's the point of this episode, please share it with us. pretty enjoyable episode overall, though
Aug 18, 2017 2:49 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Visuals and music made this really good already.
Aug 18, 2017 3:22 PM
Jun 2016
so much to love about this series, even the weaker episodes I've enjoyed, but this has to be the bst. Something about this story book art style I love, it looks cheap and simple, but so highly detailed and amazing.

Everything has a different texture to it. Kinda reminds me of those CBC short cartoons growing up.

What I'm abased at is how everything has almost a 3d style to them, they are flat, but the shading gives the feeling of being round and such.

Dang....wasn't expecting such a heavy story in a anime, dealing with something as horrible as polpot heh.

I had caught on about polpot early on and had wondered if it was related.
Aug 18, 2017 3:27 PM

Apr 2016
I was considering dropping this show up until this point, but I'm glad I kept watching. This was probably the best episode of any show I've seen this season. The animation was great as well and it shows that when you are going for a unique style and not just emulating existing styles of 2D animation, CG can do some amazing things.
Aug 18, 2017 5:50 PM

Oct 2007
Did they really just throw in the Cambodian Genocide into an episode? You don't just randomly name character Pol and Pot + mention 70k dead from starvation.

Visuals were interesting and impressive, but I ultimately lost my interest in this one. I'll just wait for the next episode.

Aug 18, 2017 6:46 PM

Jan 2017
This episode alone made me raise the anime's rate to 9/10 (the episode is a masterpiece, 10/10, if only the anime was consistently as powerfuly good as this)
I'm shocked, this was just too beautiful
Aug 18, 2017 7:57 PM

Dec 2013
What an amazing episode, this is something I would recommend people watch on its own without any of the context of the show needed
Aug 18, 2017 9:20 PM

Feb 2009
This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to see out of a series that has a different director every episode. Hopefully we get a few more as unique and interesting out of this series before it ends.
Aug 18, 2017 10:02 PM
Sep 2016
Didn't really understand the story but this episode was quite good and the art was cute.
Aug 18, 2017 10:29 PM
Jan 2017
I can't fault the episode on a technical standpoint. The animation style was absolutely gorgeous and the voice performances were amazing. The story was beautiful and poignant, at least if we take it at face value. But I got confused during the whole thing. Why did the girl of the week became a Witch? Was the story real or just a fairy tale? And why didn't Haruto didn't do anything? He was just a spectator and never affected the plot significantly. This episode was weird, even by this show's standards.
Aug 18, 2017 11:44 PM

Jun 2013
damn the artwork was interesting
Aug 19, 2017 12:39 AM

Jun 2017
Seems like this show is really hit and miss a lot of the time. There are great episodes like this, but then there are episodes that are really mediocre, or even downright terrible.
Aug 19, 2017 1:36 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
This episode though. I wasn't expecting an art style such as this for this episode. It was truly beautiful and mesmerizing. Kinda feels like I'm watching a children's fairy tale which gone terribly dark.

So this is where Inori Minase's character was going to make her appearance. Interesting. I think her voice was really cute and fits perfectly for Nene. Kinda reminds me of her voice as Noel from Sora no Method. :)

However, after all the events played out, the main characters didn't get to do a thing. They were just spectators in this episode. It feels like nothing was resolved. So what happened after that? Nene woke up, but who was it that she wanted to see?

The ending of this episode was depressing. :( But this episode is leagues way better than the last episode with the ending that involved mechas fighting in space. Started from bullying problems and then giant mechas.........that one was so all over of place... >_>
Aug 19, 2017 2:33 AM

Nov 2016
When I started this episode I was irritated, but it turned out to be one of the best of this show.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 19, 2017 3:11 AM

Jan 2017
This episode was great! I appreciated the way the story was executed(pun intended). The ED was nice as well.
Aug 19, 2017 3:29 AM
May 2016
This isn't what I expected from "And Then There Were None", but 5/5 from me. This episode surpassed my very expectations.

This is the very thing I expect this show to be.

First of all, the unexpected art. I thought I get the wrong show when I started it, but no. Everything is gorgeous, beautiful, meaningful. The lightning, the colors, the simple but effective animation with great details. Cartoony, but very beautiful, especially the use of texture. Dreamy and heart-wrenching as it gets darker. I like symbolism and surrealism like this, complete with unique art, great music, and story, but I still don't get some points. Well, that's the point of symbolism; you have to find out yourself.

Best episode as of yet. Very unique. I love it very much.

Haruto didn't do anything, but that's better I guess.

I still have no idea if it really refers to Khmer Rouge...I hope not.
Aug 19, 2017 3:34 AM

Jan 2017
HeroVladimir93 said:
I can't fault the episode on a technical standpoint. The animation style was absolutely gorgeous and the voice performances were amazing. The story was beautiful and poignant, at least if we take it at face value. But I got confused during the whole thing. Why did the girl of the week became a Witch? Was the story real or just a fairy tale? And why didn't Haruto didn't do anything? He was just a spectator and never affected the plot significantly. This episode was weird, even by this show's standards.

I'm guessing the girl this week became a witch when she learned what happened to Pot(I don't know if she found out what was going to happen to King Pol prior to her falling asleep but that could have affected her as well). The story in the dream was an interpretation of what occurred in the real world. I think sometime before King Pol's execution, he fell asleep and got caught up in the witch's dream. The falling of the flower petals signified the time the King had before he had to wake up for his execution. As to why Haruto only had to be an observer this week, I'm still trying to figure that out. lol
Aug 19, 2017 4:28 AM
Jan 2011
Complex and very difficult to watch episode, but I also think it was great.

The entire rocket part was utterly amazing and the music reminded me of Ergo Proxy.
Aug 19, 2017 4:34 AM

Apr 2015
this is based on a game right? that will never be translated?

shows like these makes me realize just how much I'm missing in life. I'm sure the game format is different from the anime episodic format but meh, not really complaining.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Aug 19, 2017 4:49 AM

Jun 2015
First, Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart Episode 6

now this... strange episodes :D
Aug 19, 2017 5:20 AM
May 2017
Modern0Cat said:

It helped me a lot!
I understood the episode very well, but this is interesting. Thanks!
Aug 19, 2017 8:49 AM
Oct 2014
While thebstory was good and the art interesting, it in itself male no connection to the witchsyndrome, asthe mc did nothing to solve anything nor it was explained why she had it. In the end they can do what they want as they are dreams, but who was she waiting for, what is her real story, too much went unanswered.
Aug 19, 2017 8:50 AM

Aug 2013
Meh. I didn't like this episode at all. A fairly tale which is trying to be deep for any price. Artwork wasn't that bad for full 3DCG, but I don't want to see something like this.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 19, 2017 8:52 AM
Oct 2014
And the lack of explanations is my sole reason for thinking is the worse one, as the whole plot made no sense in terms to the sleeping beauty syndrome. It felt to random. Who is she and what was her real story?

They need to stay concise and explain things as they did in previous episodes, this is not a mistery solving anime, nor should they leave us to wonder, as there is a clues lack. This episode made me consider dropping it, as it felt all over the place, because of that.
Cute art, nice mini story, but in the end made not connection to her actual story nor to why she got the syndrome.
thejanjo92Aug 19, 2017 8:59 AM
Aug 19, 2017 9:11 AM

Apr 2015
kougai! kougai! kougai!

no, I don't understand what the hell is going. I'm gonna assume that since this is an anime adaptation, the original game explains the arc in further detail and the anime can't possibly elaborate everything in 24 minutes

and the game will never be translated.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Aug 19, 2017 9:14 AM
Apr 2017
Wow! I love this episode!
I almost lost all my hope before this episode, there were few bad episodes which ruin my expectation for this show

Modern0Cat said:

It helped me a lot!

Thank you very much for the link, now I understand better what the story was about
Aug 19, 2017 9:16 AM
Oct 2014
rsc-pl said:
Meh. I didn't like this episode at all. A fairly tale which is trying to be deep for any price. Artwork wasn't that bad for full 3DCG, but I don't want to see something like this.
yep depending on the next epjsode i might drop this.
Aug 19, 2017 9:38 AM

May 2009
Best looking thing Gonzo released in years (obviously whole episode was outsourced)
Aug 19, 2017 10:34 AM

Aug 2016
Woah this was so different. This show has divided from itself before but this was like a completely different thing. I gotta say, I liked it! absolutely one of my favorite episodes. the visuals were really cool I like the art style a lot. Something about it left an impact on me. huh.
Aug 19, 2017 2:51 PM

Apr 2013
AniMatt17 said:
Seems like this show is really hit and miss a lot of the time. There are great episodes like this, but then there are episodes that are really mediocre, or even downright terrible.

that depends on the episode director, they change it every episode

LunyRed said:
This episode though. I wasn't expecting an art style such as this for this episode. It was truly beautiful and mesmerizing. Kinda feels like I'm watching a children's fairy tale which gone terribly dark.

So this is where Inori Minase's character was going to make her appearance. Interesting. I think her voice was really cute and fits perfectly for Nene. Kinda reminds me of her voice as Noel from Sora no Method. :)

However, after all the events played out, the main characters didn't get to do a thing. They were just spectators in this episode. It feels like nothing was resolved. So what happened after that? Nene woke up, but who was it that she wanted to see?

The ending of this episode was depressing. :( But this episode is leagues way better than the last episode with the ending that involved mechas fighting in space. Started from bullying problems and then giant mechas.........that one was so all over of place... >_>

no, mechas fell in quite nicely
she is a girl who was bullied for a long time and was depressed so it was a way to have fun again, first time in a while, and mecha was chosen because she's an otaku
Aug 19, 2017 3:00 PM

Oct 2013
Aug 19, 2017 4:02 PM

Jan 2015
Liked the episode a lot. That art and direction in general was very good. Very beautiful art. Also that beautiful ED in the end during AND THEN THERE WERE NONE part <3
As for the story thats what i got:
1)girl was in coma for unknown reason
2)everything she was listening to got in her dream. Like that OZ story. Alright you know when a person is in a coma, nurses would play different cassettes for a person in a coma
to listen to, because your brain is always working so it would pick up those sounds and those tapes stimulates a brain and it gives more chances for person to wake up.
They would put up an OZ story and she was imagining it in her dream and thats how we got that art.

The king story was influenced by him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol_Pot Cambodian genocide... killing of intellectuals, 70k died in starvation. All of that was mentioned in this ep.
Pot the friend he killed is a symbol of all intellectuals that were killed, glasses is a symbol of being smart after all and Pot looked really smart.
It looks like King was forced to make that decision.
The falling of pettals in the end and the "then there were none" line meant that there were none intellectuals left? cause king killed all of them? And then the king himself was sent to the guillotine, whole country was probably blaming him for that incident while he was forced to do it (at least it seemed like it) So a pretty sad story when all is said and done, kinda sad for Pol and Pot

Couple of things i didnt understand though.
1)What those suspension bridges meant the one Nene was showing off
2)Why did Nene said she wants to see him when she woke up?
3)And what was the point of MC anyway :P

Oh also my guess as to why Pol was in that robot form, since its an OZ story and the ironman there had no heart, signifies that Pol(king) head no heart? also he had lots of medals there, signifying his importance
Aug 19, 2017 6:28 PM
Jul 2017
Hirugiku said:

2)Why did Nene said she wants to see him when she woke up?
3)And what was the point of MC anyway :P

2) I saw this as having two meanings. First, she wished she could see Pol and Pot and Kuro in their childhood days again, when they were happy and innocent. Second, she wished she could see Pol again so she could destroy him.

3) At the end, Kanzaki said: "Karma". Probably, Pol thought Tsukishiro and Kanzaki could help him, in the same way his servants always helped him. But in reality they ended up locked away from Pol while his destiny played out.

This was an amazing episode. People should not expect clean resolutions or obvious explanations. Like all good literature, it leaves itself open to interpretations. What meaning you ascribe to it, is meaning you bring from your own life.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Aug 20, 2017 1:36 AM

Nov 2016
Okay... I'm pretty sure this was originally a short film, but "18if' just integrated it into the series because the writers didn't feel like coming up with a story on their own. I've joked about every episode of this show feeling like it belongs to a different genre of anime, but this felt nothing like any of the other episodes.

From an artistic standpoint this episode was spot on. Beautiful animation and sound design, though the drastic deviation from the normal art style was a bit disconcerting. I can only imagine how jarring the change will be for anyone binge watching the series in the future. The additional lack of any kind of introduction (especially after half an episode of introduction in last week's episode) made this episode feel even more disconnected from the series as a whole. While the story was interesting, all be it intently vague, it in no way allowed the main characters (Haruto and Dr. Cat) to play an active role. The two were merely passive observers in this story, so their presence in this episode felt extremely extraneous.

I don't understand the Wizard of Oz references. Yes, I get the comatose girl was listening to "The Wizard of Oz" audio book while she slept, but other than that it connected in no way to the story. While the main characters ran around as a scarecrow, tinman, and lion, there were no other character/setting in the story bore any resemblance to anything from Oz. The references to Oz in no way connected to the themes examined in this episode. It seemed to me that it was thrown in merely for the sake of extra artsy-ness, rather than any real constructive reason.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 18if Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2017

45 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 26, 12:48 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2017

28 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 26, 12:34 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2017

39 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 3:27 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2017

48 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 2:55 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

75 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 20, 8:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.