Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 24, 2017 6:00 AM

Jun 2016
can't wait the OST
Oct 24, 2017 6:35 AM
Dec 2014
Salokannel2 said:
As expected, another great episode.
So far I have no complaints and only praise for this series.
The only thing I can complain about is why this show isn't rated higher but I guess according MAL standards it is good that this show isn't like 8.9-9.0 now since it would
1. be killed by hype
2. downvoted like hell
3. be made into melancholic emogirl meme.
And besides that, 8.6 is a good score already so yeah.. Would be nice to see it getting a boost like Made in Abyss did towards the end of the series ^^

If the episodes keep being almost the same quality, definitely the anime of the season and probably even anime of the year, though after Made in Abyss last 4 episodes, I'm kinda hesitant :D

@Salokannel2 tha could be happening because there are people that don't like to rate series that hasn't finish.

About the episode everything was awesome the ost, the animation, i love this series and this will be the anime of the season.
Oct 24, 2017 7:15 AM
Jul 2018
PalePurple said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

You're saying that the animation quality hardly matters...in animation.
That's like saying acting, doesn't matter in a movie.

"doesn't mean it needs people dancing around in the background during a somber scene"
When did anyone say anything that implied this??
Why are people on MAL so desperate to win any argument that they're willing to resort to being strawman??
A little more movement would be appreciated in a dramatic scene than literally nothing moving.
If I wanted "realism" I'd watch a live action movie or read a book.

You're not making much sense - I'm being a strawman? Are you inferring I'm setting up a strawman to take down, rather than critique your actual views? Not quite. Reductio ad absurdum, my friend, is used to show the inevitable ridiculous end, to which your argument is headed. Your desire for unnecessary movement during a somber scene is what brought us to this point of conversation in the first place.

However, it seems in actuality that you've misrepresented my argument with a strawman in this line : "you're saying that the animation quality hardly matters...in animation."

My point, friend, was that the animation was deliberately understated during that scene, so as not to take away from the somber atmosphere.

But why are you excusing 100% of the episode, having 0 actual animation, even WITHOUT the "somber scenes"?
I literally never said anything that implied that I wanted there to be movement during a somber scene.
THIS is being a straw man: you are making up things I never said.
Oct 24, 2017 9:32 AM

Feb 2016
This episode was so beautiful. It was over way too fast...

Oct 24, 2017 2:45 PM

Apr 2014
I really enjoyed this episode the ending made me cry that's how I can tell an anime has really made me feel. That hasn't happened in some time, I'm really looking forward to watching more of this anime. (the bride/bath things was kinda weird thou lol)
Oct 24, 2017 8:17 PM

Nov 2016
nothing I can say, can't wait for episode 4. UwU
Oct 25, 2017 1:05 AM

Apr 2017
I can't really remember the last time I felt like this about a fantasy show but so far this feels really plain to me. Don't get me wrong, the visuals look awesome but everything else I could care less about from what I've seen so far. It's done nothing to get me invested in any of the characters. Even the scene at the end with the dragon felt like they were trying way too hard to make it sad. I understand that they might be focusing on world building and the lore within the series so I don't want to judge it yet. Can anyone who's read the manga reply to this and tell me if it changes or gets better than what's already been shown in these three episodes?
Oct 25, 2017 2:43 AM

Aug 2016
A good episode. I can see people complaining about the enchanting moments given that the premise for the moment was just this episode.

If you don't find it amusing then I'm gonna say you're gonna be disappointed because this has a lot of short story arcs.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Oct 25, 2017 10:12 AM

Feb 2017
The music :'(

Beautiful episode.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Oct 25, 2017 10:28 AM

May 2013
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
PalePurple said:

You're not making much sense - I'm being a strawman? Are you inferring I'm setting up a strawman to take down, rather than critique your actual views? Not quite. Reductio ad absurdum, my friend, is used to show the inevitable ridiculous end, to which your argument is headed. Your desire for unnecessary movement during a somber scene is what brought us to this point of conversation in the first place.

However, it seems in actuality that you've misrepresented my argument with a strawman in this line : "you're saying that the animation quality hardly matters...in animation."

My point, friend, was that the animation was deliberately understated during that scene, so as not to take away from the somber atmosphere.

But why are you excusing 100% of the episode, having 0 actual animation, even WITHOUT the "somber scenes"?
I literally never said anything that implied that I wanted there to be movement during a somber scene.

It's impossible for someone to "be a strawman." Do you know what the term means? One may *use* a strawman, a misrepresentation of someone else's argument, to discredit them, but how would I myself be a misrepresentation of your argument? Is English your second language, by chance? If so, then I apologize.

The entire thread was primarily about the final somber scene, and while it may not have been you, there were complaints about stills during that scene. The final scene was the topic of conversation, so if you were referring to the episode as a whole, I apologize, I misunderstood.

Either way, I disagree, as I found the animation through the episode to be beautiful, as well as the art. I'm not going to rewatch it to pick out scenes with movement, because that's not why I watch anime. I watch it as a whole - for the art, animation, story, voice acting, all of which I thought was beautiful. Agree to disagree <3
落下のように、いつも落ちる。いつか救われることができるのかな? または落ち続けるでしょうか?永遠に
Oct 25, 2017 11:39 AM
Aug 2013
nevin's scene was so beautifully depicted i cried... not only because it was so heartbreaking on a few ends but also because they really did a very good job to make this whole world feel so alive and beautiful it really blows me away can't wait for more!!
Oct 25, 2017 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
PalePurple said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

It's impossible for someone to "be a strawman." Do you know what the term means? One may *use* a strawman, a misrepresentation of someone else's argument, to discredit them, but how would I myself be a misrepresentation of your argument? Is English your second language, by chance? If so, then I apologize.

The entire thread was primarily about the final somber scene, and while it may not have been you, there were complaints about stills during that scene. The final scene was the topic of conversation, so if you were referring to the episode as a whole, I apologize, I misunderstood.

Either way, I disagree, as I found the animation through the episode to be beautiful, as well as the art. I'm not going to rewatch it to pick out scenes with movement, because that's not why I watch anime. I watch it as a whole - for the art, animation, story, voice acting, all of which I thought was beautiful. Agree to disagree <3

Yeah, I just re-checked the definition of a straw man...it's not what you're saying.

But that's also the thing--
Somber scenes CAN have animation, WITHOUT breaking the immersion.
FACIAL, animations.

Okay, animation isn't just about over-the-top posing, it's also about bringing LIFE, through more subtle movement, but in interesting ways, instead of Chise just blinking a little.
Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGtJn-L5xEs
2:25
The character's expression moves in interesting ways, in a dramatic scene, without breaking the immersion.
Now I'm NOT saying that I expect tv anime to have animation quality as high as Disney's (that's stupid, because Disney is the richest animation studio in the world), but SOMETHING, like this.
Oct 26, 2017 2:36 AM
Oct 2015
The animation, as well as the OST, were absolutely outstanding during this episode, if they're able to keep this up, this could complete for the anime for the year.
Heckle was here...
Oct 26, 2017 2:41 AM

Nov 2010
I eagerly wanna see how the land of thw dragons in tha manga look like in the anime and glad that it is so beautiful. The next episode will be about cats. That are also one of my favourite arc in he manga and I can't wait to watch it animated. So far it faithful to the manga.
Oct 26, 2017 7:42 AM

Oct 2013
How pleasant and beautiful. :o I almost got Mushishi vibes with this episode.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 26, 2017 9:00 AM

Nov 2014
another flawless episode, (':
Oct 26, 2017 12:08 PM
Jul 2015
CasualViewer2001 said:
I can't really remember the last time I felt like this about a fantasy show but so far this feels really plain to me. Don't get me wrong, the visuals look awesome but everything else I could care less about from what I've seen so far. It's done nothing to get me invested in any of the characters. Even the scene at the end with the dragon felt like they were trying way too hard to make it sad. I understand that they might be focusing on world building and the lore within the series so I don't want to judge it yet. Can anyone who's read the manga reply to this and tell me if it changes or gets better than what's already been shown in these three episodes?

I agree. So far I don't really feel like any of the characters in the show stand out in any way. I felt like the whole dragon thing was meant to make people feel sad, but I don't really feel anything towards something like that within one episode or with characters that haven't really done anything interesting. I haven't read the manga, so hopefully the story picks up a bit in the next episode.
Oct 26, 2017 4:31 PM

Oct 2017
Interesting episode. I like that we get to see different types of mages. I really want to know about Chise's backstory and am excited to see where it will go.
Oct 26, 2017 5:54 PM

Jul 2015
Why do so many shows do try for an emotional response so early at around episode 3?
This show also seems to stick to long shots at times just because they're pretty, instead of because of the significance they may have

Niello said:
Nice to see people are so easily pleased. This episode was just plain to me, despite how much I love the chapter in the manga. The scenes toward the end seems so forced, like "Here! you are supposed to feel sentimental here! There's even a lullaby like song to go with it!". Meanwhile, there are so many many still frames that just keep dragging on for longer than they should. Almost like they have to make the scene last as long as the song, but they don't want to do more animation so they just pad it out. It was kind of boring.

exactly, the long shot of the ocean... all it's doing is changing colors, there's not really anything impressive going on here, why does it last SO long. Still, people will somehow love it anyways

Kittens-kun said:
Niello said:

I'm not complaining about it every week. Besides, are you really that delicate that you can't stand opinions that don't allign with yours? Are you telling me that this show has been perfect so far that any criticisms is unwarranted? The moment I said anything negative about the show, even if I gave reason for it, people act like petty fanboys.

You can criticize it if you want, just come up with actul criticism. Saying the animation is shit when it obviously isn't, is not a criticism. Plus, just because you back your claims up, doesn't mean they're actually good complaints. If your reasoning is bad, then so is your argument.

dude, how can you keep replying, where does your dignity exist? LMAO
most of the time, you don't even say anything worthwhile in response, and instead just spit out a sentence probably on the impulse of when you read their reply.
PecoOct 26, 2017 6:11 PM
Oct 26, 2017 8:09 PM

Apr 2015
Had less of the spark of class the last two eps had maybe, and yes the dream scene should have been much better. Was still great tho.
Oct 26, 2017 9:19 PM
Oct 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Niello said:

Those are still better than Mahoutsukai no Yome this episode.

Really? Because I don't see the difference. I think you're just biased, or weren't paying attention to how much actual movement was in those anime.

Niello said:
Aso, by interesting animation I am taking about sakuga, interesting shot composition and whatsnot. This show has done poorly when it comes to those.

Sakuga only appears in the very few "dramatic moments" in any anime, and Yome hasn't gotten dramatic yet.

"Shot composition"
Animation is movement. Composition is the placement of objects within a shot.
I don't think you even know what animation means.

Regarding the shot composition, read my sentence again, "by interesting animation I am taking about sakuga, interesting shot composition and whatsnot." I was clearly listing what could have been done to make the show more interesting, which includes sakuga as well as shot composition. I wasn't implying that the two are the same.

As for the show I listed. Not only they have more animation, but the animations are also better animated. Also, sakuga doesn't just apply to dramatic movements in dramatic scenes. The term sakuga is also valid for simplier well animated scenes. Thi could be something simple like writing, cutting a cake, facial expressions and body gestures in more mundane scenes, sitting on to a bed, running, walking etc. The show's animation over all isn't anything remarkable. It's just passable at turning a manga into an anime.

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this.
Oct 26, 2017 9:35 PM
Jul 2018
Niello said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

Really? Because I don't see the difference. I think you're just biased, or weren't paying attention to how much actual movement was in those anime.

Sakuga only appears in the very few "dramatic moments" in any anime, and Yome hasn't gotten dramatic yet.

"Shot composition"
Animation is movement. Composition is the placement of objects within a shot.
I don't think you even know what animation means.

Regarding the shot composition, read my sentence again, "by interesting animation I am taking about sakuga, interesting shot composition and whatsnot." I was clearly listing what could have been done to make the show more interesting, which includes sakuga as well as shot composition. I wasn't implying that the two are the same.

As for the show I listed. Not only they have more animation, but the animations are also better animated. Also, sakuga doesn't just apply to dramatic movements in dramatic scenes. The term sakuga is also valid for simplier well animated scenes. Thi could be something simple like writing, cutting a cake, facial expressions and body gestures in more mundane scenes, sitting on to a bed, running, walking etc. The show's animation over all isn't anything remarkable. It's just passable at turning a manga into an anime.

But all those anime that you listed, the ones that have "simple" movements like body gestures, are completely generic and look literally the exact same as every other anime that has them. A character blinking in Love Live looks exactly the same when a character in Naruto blinks, and vice versa.
The only long tv anime I can in recent years that has actually creative movement WITHOUT there being a fight scene, is Mob Psycho 100; Reigen's hand gestures and body movements, are completely unique and interesting to watch.
But yeah, now that I think back on it, so far Yome hasn't even had any generic animation movements
Oct 26, 2017 9:38 PM

Oct 2017
Loved it

Upsides

• That flying scene... My God.
  • The OST during the flying scene.
  • All the dragons. Nevin for how wise he is and the babies for their cuteness.
  • Chise's complexity in front of her own emotions.

Downsides:

• I would've like a bit more personality for Lindel. He just reminds me of Simon.

That episode was done right. I could feel myself entering in their world. Nevin's death was beautifully executed. It captivated me without having any need of strong action scenes. Just pure emotions with amazing visual and soundtrack.
Oct 26, 2017 10:56 PM
Oct 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Niello said:

But all those anime that you listed, the ones that have "simple" movements like body gestures, are completely generic and look literally the exact same as every other anime that has them. A character blinking in Love Live looks exactly the same when a character in Naruto blinks, and vice versa.
The only long tv anime I can in recent years that has actually creative movement WITHOUT there being a fight scene, is Mob Psycho 100; Reigen's hand gestures and body movements, are completely unique and interesting to watch.
But yeah, now that I think back on it, so far Yome hasn't even had any generic animation movements

I haven't mentioned anything about Love Live though, never watch it too, quite a strange example to bring up. But yes, for a well regarded manga, it would have been much nicer if they could put more effort into the production for it.
Oct 26, 2017 10:57 PM

Mar 2014
A quote from Attack on Titan came into my mind when I was trying to stop crying digesting this beautiful episode.

Nature is sad... but also very beautiful.
Oct 27, 2017 6:12 AM

Mar 2014
Great episode. I really liked seeing Chise spend time with the cute little dragons and Nevin. The latter half was very melancholy with Nevin dying and becoming a tree. I love the magical, bittersweet vibe of this show. 5/5
Oct 27, 2017 11:15 AM

Jul 2009
This was so beautiful! It was sad when Nevin died...
Oct 27, 2017 4:29 PM

Jun 2009
Nowadays I rarely shed actual tears while watching anime but this ep. did it. I actually cried a bit when Nevin turned into a tree. Beautiful ep.!
Oct 27, 2017 5:39 PM

Jan 2014
DRAGON-KUN YOU WILL BE MISSED BUT YOU LIVED A GREAT LIFE AND I AM GLAD YOU LIVED IT FULLY.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 28, 2017 3:33 AM
Jan 2016
Oh my god
I thought that the quality of this anime couldn't get better than this and I was wrong
This episode was on a whole new level with animation and especially the soundtrack
The insert song was gorgeous I want it
Usually when there's a scene in an anime with only one frame I get bored but in this episode I watched the scene a million time It was brilliant the soundtrack matched really well the atmosphere
I love the way they portrayed Chise's trauma Nevin told her to not envy the dead and yet when he died she still envied his death You can't let go of your past so easily and I appreciate the anime so much for this
I'm worried about Chise a lot now after hearing what Lindel said to Elias what will happen to Chise ? What usually happen to Sleigh Beggys ?
This will definitely be anime of the season glad this will be 24 episodes long
Oct 28, 2017 10:22 AM
Feb 2014
wow, mesmerized by animation of this episode. 10/10
Oct 29, 2017 10:16 AM
Mar 2016
this show is so damn beautiful
Oct 29, 2017 12:14 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
pretty episode, because discover a new element in this fantasy world, the dragons!!!!
Oct 29, 2017 10:33 PM

Jun 2013
People comparing this to Mushishi lol hilarious

Pretty boring and empty for me tbh. Dropped.
Nov 1, 2017 6:16 AM

Dec 2015
1 word: therapeutic.
~
Nov 3, 2017 5:54 AM

May 2013
Stark700 said:
That was great.

Loved the world fiction of this episode too with the Land of the Dragons. I think Wit Studio did a fairly well job at crafting the place. Also really liked the voice acting of the creatures.

Beautiful music used this episode too, especially the sunset scene. I can't wait for the soundtrack for this show to come out.
Quite an emotional episode. I'm going to miss Nervin.

hi stark i have a suggestion
you see the tab "my anime suggestion" suggest the same anime every time i enter the site
i which they generate new recommendations now and then maybe once a day
thanks
Nov 7, 2017 8:52 AM

Jan 2014
somehow I agree with Chise. I envy of the way Uil passed.
Nov 8, 2017 1:15 PM
Sep 2015
damn cried like a little kid xd i love it so far. animation is great!
Nov 9, 2017 7:23 PM

Jan 2013
Unexpectedly it didn't end up being a threatening kidnapping.
Fairly good self contained story.
Nov 11, 2017 10:44 PM
Jul 2018
Seriously, it's like there's an army of onion-cutting ninjas out there or something.
I'm happy that Linden wasn't a bad person. Actually, at this point I don't think we've been introduced to any real villains yet.
Normally I'm not into slice of life anime but this one seems to be a keeper :D
Nov 15, 2017 12:25 AM

Dec 2016
Another truly beautiful and well done episode. Man this series is good!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 15, 2017 4:06 PM

May 2014
Definitely the best episode so far (but I'll prolly be saying that a lot with this one).
I actually cried, but I don't really know why lmao
Everything was just so beautiful that I started tearing up!

Also was genuinely shocked to learn that Linden is older than Elias :o

Shame on me, I actually read these chapters in the manga but I can't remember most of them!

I really like Chise though. She's a great protagonist, and god knows those are rare! Can't wait to learn more about her childhood as well as her relationship with her mother.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2017 3:27 PM

Sep 2011
Three years? So if she can't control her power she might die "soon"? :( I sure hope this doesn't end with her dying... Though as long as the manga continues this might not happen for a while. At least I hope so.
Nov 23, 2017 7:06 AM

May 2015
Yeah, cool. I want a dragon.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 26, 2017 11:52 AM

Apr 2014
How beautiful was that!? Damn..
Eyes got a bit watery after this.
Nov 28, 2017 4:16 PM
Nov 2017
This was a pretty emotional episode for me, especially because I relate to Chise's feelings of isolation, as a lot of times at school I feel overwhelmed because i'm not vary talkative and a lot of the kids at my school are, so when i'm not with my friends just keep to myself.
Nov 29, 2017 8:46 PM

Nov 2017
The animation was superbly good, and along with the feels, it was a killer combination.
They're trying to kill me here!
Dec 2, 2017 12:22 PM

Oct 2012
Interesting episode. Atmospheric in a way, of ephemeral nature.
And although I would do without those annoying child dragons (as their sole purpose was only to ease the mood) and while the flight scene was bit too static and low on animation to my expectations, I wouldn't say it was bad episode, not at all. But they can certainly strive more to reach their goal with this series.

Anyway, with her collapse in the end it seems like using her sleigh beggar powers has its cost for her life energy, 3 years of life remaining, well, that's pretty harsh. I wonder how she changes after she learns that. Bet this episode served as forshadowing for things to come.
Dec 18, 2017 12:41 PM

Mar 2012
I'm not sure why I was supposed to care about a random dragon dying which we just met this episode.
Jan 31, 2018 4:16 PM
Nov 2017
Wow this is my faviourte episode so far!

When Chise said "I'm not sad, he was a stranger that showed me kindness" I was like, well I am damn sad why crying aha.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.