Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 26, 2017 6:52 PM

Mar 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
seems like I was right .... mages have different type of jobs!!!

Linden is a caretaker, Angelica a magic tools builder, and I guess Ainsworth an odd jobs person? also why do they have two names it confusing me

I'm ready for the 4th episode I can't wait until October
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2017 7:03 PM
Apr 2014
They animated the dragons really well. The OST when the dragon was flying was great. Man that was some beautiful animation with dragons.

If these past 3 episodes are to go by then we are in for a real treat. I am eagerly anticipating the next episode which is in October lol......
Jul 26, 2017 7:04 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
When Chise got snatched away by the dragon it made me think Lindel was a bad guy. Good thing he isn't. It was pretty nice seeing Chise spend time playing with the small dragons. Was pretty sad to see Nevin go but the scene of him and Chise viewing his dreams of being in the sky was absolutely beautiful.

The scene was very well adapted along with the song that accompanied it. In the end Nevin turned into the a tree and told Chise to one day make a wand from his branches. Great episode all around and I can't wait for the next!
Jul 26, 2017 7:24 PM

Apr 2013
Man, the Land of the Dragons was so damn beautiful. There were so many good scenic moments throughout the entire episode.

"Let her go." *dinosaur casually tosses Chise into the lake* LOL
Lindel introduced. Really enjoy seeing every new character bicker with Elias.
Chise playing with the small dinosaurs was adorable.

Nevin's dream and death were very touching. The insert song used during the flying scene was great.

Great adaptation so far. Now to wait until October for the rest.
Jul 26, 2017 7:27 PM

Jul 2013
Loved the insert song. There could have been more Animation in that scene but all in all was beautiful.
Jul 26, 2017 9:37 PM
Aug 2011
This show is stunning in it's visual presentation, and the story itself flew by in what felt like minutes. Like a user said above, if these 3 episodes are what we are to go by for the full 24 episodes, this will be Anime of the Year material in my book.

Chise playing with the dragons was too adorable and then experiencing flight was absolutely beautiful, and seems to foreshadow some pretty dark moments in her past. I haven't read the manga, but I'm so looking forward to the series in October. And based on a friend of mine who read the manga, this anime follows it perfectly which is nice to see :). Thank you Crunchyroll for the chance to support the creators and see this early! and thank you Studio Wit for this beautiful production!

Can't wait for the last OVA to come out too :)
Oct 21, 2017 9:55 AM

Nov 2011
That was great.

Loved the world fiction of this episode too with the Land of the Dragons. I think Wit Studio did a fairly well job at crafting the place. Also really liked the voice acting of the creatures.

Beautiful music used this episode too, especially the sunset scene. I can't wait for the soundtrack for this show to come out.
Quite an emotional episode. I'm going to miss Nervin.
Stark700Oct 21, 2017 11:03 AM
Oct 21, 2017 10:55 AM
Jan 2017
anime of the season without doubt

and oh man i can't get bored of this op it's so awesome

Oct 21, 2017 11:10 AM

Jul 2015
Wit Studio's staff did a great job so far. The blend of comedy and drama is perfect. High quality animation and music like the previous episodes.

They also took more time to introduce the land of the dragons.

The worst part of this series is to wait another week.

Oct 21, 2017 11:16 AM

Dec 2014
It would have been weird for Elias to be caught completely off guard by the dragon, especially after all the set up about how amazing he is, and in fact he followed Chise.
What was strange was to hear the dragon say that they live their lives to the fullest; considering that in most stories characters that live hundreds of years are usually upset about their long lifespan. In fact I wonder how does one live to the fullest for 300+ years, that sounds very tiring.
Wonder what Lindel meant about Chise not lasting more than 3 years; I suppose she is overworking her body by using too much magic at once? Like in the shop last episode.
This was the best episode so far, the scenery and music helped greatly too. It was a sad but beautiful story.
Oct 21, 2017 11:18 AM

Dec 2014
Beautiful episode, the art and soundtrack were off the charts here. Based Wit studio. They're doing real justice to the manga.

The land of dragons looked amazing.

The parts with Chise playing with the younger dragons were quite fun to watch. :)

Nevin showing Chise his flight of life and that entire conversation they had together was really meaningful. I like how the dragons contrast themselves to human saying they don't fear death since they always live their life to the fullest without regret. They fly freely and it truly was a random act of kindness that Nevin did by choosing to show Chise that after learning her situation. The insert song was beautiful too.

Chise description of the Nevin's death is spot on especially when she says, you can't help but feel a little envious of the peaceful way Nevin passed on. Even though we only say him for one episode, I was pretty emotional when Nevin turned into a tree and when he requested Chise to make a wand out of one his branches.

The entire transformation to a tree especially with the Lindebaum flowers was stunning.
Can't wait for the next episode.
Oct 21, 2017 11:32 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode. 5/5

The moment with Nevin dying was sad. I liked how he encouraged Chise by showing his dream of flying in the sky.

Hope we get to see more of Lindel in future episodes.

Oct 21, 2017 11:34 AM

Apr 2015
Lindel has such a great job. I would like to do same job. ~

Heartbreaking episode, I must say. :(

5/5
Oct 21, 2017 11:49 AM
Mar 2014
Anathor said:
What was strange was to hear the dragon say that they live their lives to the fullest; considering that in most stories characters that live hundreds of years are usually upset about their long lifespan. In fact I wonder how does one live to the fullest for 300+ years, that sounds very tiring.

To a dog, living 15 years is what you could mean as a whole life. For a human, this is just a childhood. You can't compare a lifespan of 80 years to one that is longer than 300 years.
Oct 21, 2017 11:49 AM

Jul 2015
Wow... that was beautiful, the first 2 episodes were pretty neat but this one really sold the deal to me.
Oct 21, 2017 11:53 AM

Apr 2015
I think the thing I loved the most out of this episode ( I loved pretty much everything ) was Chise's reaction towards Nevin's passing. She was envious of his peaceful passing and being able to get rid of all that haunts you. I also liked despite this being a really magical experience and Nevin being really nice to her in the end he was still merely a stranger. Shows how deeply rooted Chise's issues are, I mean they had almost her entire life to get a grasp of her personality and make her turn out the way she did. A single positive experience and pep talk won't make you change your emotional and mental state.
Oct 21, 2017 12:00 PM

Jun 2015
Got to see some cool dragons in this episode. Chise playing with the younger dragons was fun to watch. One dragon in particular was very old. It was emotional when he passed away. Thanks to Chise, he spent his last moments in flight and asked her to make a wand out of his branches once she's ready. Nevin lived his life to the fullest with no regrets. Chise was a bit envious of his peaceful passing. This was a sad, but beautiful episode.
Oct 21, 2017 12:02 PM

Sep 2008
i just love they are following the manga to the t, when they portrayed Chise's depression i just found myself crying because i saw my own depression too, i just dont have words, this anime is just so beautiful
Oct 21, 2017 12:05 PM
Oct 2017
Nice to see people are so easily pleased. This episode was just plain to me, despite how much I love the chapter in the manga. The scenes toward the end seems so forced, like "Here! you are supposed to feel sentimental here! There's even a lullaby like song to go with it!". Meanwhile, there are so many many still frames that just keep dragging on for longer than they should. Almost like they have to make the scene last as long as the song, but they don't want to do more animation so they just pad it out. It was kind of boring.
Oct 21, 2017 12:14 PM

Dec 2016
LMFAO!

they need to stop doing that haha i was like 100% serious watching what was going to happen and then puff chise gets thrown away by the dragon xd

On the other.. what a moving episode.. and geez... the animation is so pretty!.. I was simply speechless staring at the beautiful scenery it was really delightful to watch.
-_Shiro_-Oct 21, 2017 12:19 PM

Oct 21, 2017 12:19 PM

Feb 2008
-_Shiro_- said:
LMFAO!

they need to stop doing that haha i was like 100% serious watching what was going to happen and then puff chise gets thrown away by the dragon xd

On the other.. what a moving episode.. geez the animation is so pretty!.. I was simply speechless staring at the beautiful scenery it was really delightful to watch.

in the manga they do the same thing, get used to it. Otherwise this would be a rather somber story with a few happy things in it.

The passing of the dragon was very nicely done. They captured the emotion and Chise's bleak nature quite nicely. It would be some time till she gets her self after a time but this episode really captured everything nicely.
Oct 21, 2017 12:23 PM

May 2015
Niello said:
Nice to see people are so easily pleased. This episode was just plain to me, despite how much I love the chapter in the manga. The scenes toward the end seems so forced, like "Here! you are supposed to feel sentimental here! There's even a lullaby like song to go with it!". Meanwhile, there are so many many still frames that just keep dragging on for longer than they should. Almost like they have to make the scene last as long as the song, but they don't want to do more animation so they just pad it out. It was kind of boring.

Forced? Yeah, no.

Oct 21, 2017 12:30 PM

Dec 2016
kisami said:

in the manga they do the same thing, get used to it. Otherwise this would be a rather somber story with a few happy things in it.

The passing of the dragon was very nicely done. They captured the emotion and Chise's bleak nature quite nicely. It would be some time till she gets her self after a time but this episode really captured everything nicely.

yeah this anime has a really unique comedy, it's just that i wasn't prepared to laugh all of a sudden XD

I haven't read the manga but i loved that scene too it was so moving and refreshing, it really made me feel it ^^ glad to "hear" that the manga readers are happy with how they're adapting the story so far.

Oct 21, 2017 12:39 PM
Mar 2016
hmm they repeat common mistake from all bring a dragon movie/animation
wyvern called as dragon

hmm i think will drop it
not bad, animation is good
just isnt my taste anime like "World only for you and me, another ppl only supporting role" commonly shoujou anime
Oct 21, 2017 12:47 PM

Mar 2014
Niello said:

Please keep your expectations in check. Yes the flying scenes had some lingering stills, but the art style is very detailed and it's a 2 cour show,keeping up this kind of quality in a 2 cour show is to be applauded. The show looks really good so far, don't be unfair because your expectations were too high. I'd rather have something that looks consistent throughout the whole thing that spending all of their time, budget and talent on the first three episodes.
Oct 21, 2017 12:53 PM

Jun 2014
I thought some dramatic stuff was going to happen after the way last episode ended but looks like I was wrong.

We got to see Chise play and get along with some dragons, but the highlight was her interaction with Nevin. The sequence that was shown right before he passed away was beautifully done, and the song that accompanied it was perfect.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 21, 2017 12:57 PM

Jul 2014
What an interesting and compelling episode this was, though I don't think I particularly have much to say on that, other than that as well as creating a compelling narrative for this episode to work with it laid the foundations for greater exploration of Chise as an individual and also as a Sleigh Beggy: based on what Lindel said, and what happened before the credits, she has a difficult life ahead if she's not careful with whatever powers she has. Also, Elias being known as "Thorn" and Chise being his apprentice seemed to be a pretty big deal, so I'm wondering what that's going to lead to later down the line; the preview for next week looks like it may begin to answer these questions, but I'm not going to expect all the answers so early on.
Oct 21, 2017 1:04 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was masterful. That whole episode was fascinatin with the land of the dragons and Nevin returning to earth, that got me fucked up

This was just so beautiful, nothing else to say about this.
Oct 21, 2017 1:07 PM

Aug 2016
The artistic section of this anime is undoubtedly one of the best I've seen so far, a work of art staged.

Slowly the story reveals the past of our protagonist, not directly, but with flashbacks implying that she had a complicated life. Something tells me that this anime will destroy my soul.

5/5

''You’re a mage, are you not? You’ll need a wand, someday. Make one out of my branches.''
Oct 21, 2017 1:08 PM

Mar 2013
So beautiful. But sad and uplifting at the same time.
Oct 21, 2017 1:10 PM

Sep 2015
As expected, another great episode.
So far I have no complaints and only praise for this series.
The only thing I can complain about is why this show isn't rated higher but I guess according MAL standards it is good that this show isn't like 8.9-9.0 now since it would
1. be killed by hype
2. downvoted like hell
3. be made into melancholic emogirl meme.
And besides that, 8.6 is a good score already so yeah.. Would be nice to see it getting a boost like Made in Abyss did towards the end of the series ^^

If the episodes keep being almost the same quality, definitely the anime of the season and probably even anime of the year, though after Made in Abyss last 4 episodes, I'm kinda hesitant :D
Oct 21, 2017 1:19 PM

Jul 2013
I felt like the episode lasted just 5 minutes, lol.
Last episode I thought Lindel was going to be the bad guy, but he is actually a good guy, I liked that.

I liked the old dragon, too bad he had to die. However, since he was already prepared for that, it made the moment less painful.
I hope Chise will end making her wand of onw of the branches of his tree.
Oct 21, 2017 1:22 PM

Apr 2012
NANDO KURIKAESHI
KURIKAESHI UMARETEMO
ITSUMO ATARASHII
SORA O MISETE AGEYOU

DAREMO MADA DAREMO
KAITENAI MONOGATARI
SHIROI MASSHIROI
CHIZU NI KAITE UTAROU
EratiKOct 21, 2017 1:29 PM
Oct 21, 2017 1:25 PM
Oct 2017
LauraBirdie said:
Niello said:

Please keep your expectations in check. Yes the flying scenes had some lingering stills, but the art style is very detailed and it's a 2 cour show,keeping up this kind of quality in a 2 cour show is to be applauded. The show looks really good so far, don't be unfair because your expectations were too high. I'd rather have something that looks consistent throughout the whole thing that spending all of their time, budget and talent on the first three episodes.

The only detailed thing about it is the background. The scene was pretty much static. 2 cour show or not, it's the decision they made to just fill what is supposed to be the climax of the episode with still frames, and I find that it sucks my enjoyment out of it. If they had kept it more tight, it would have worked better. Otherwise, at least use some more interesting framing than uninsipred ones. My expectation is simple. Since this is a medium with moving visuals, colours and sounds, I expect an enhanced experience of what I have read in the manga. If it fails to do that then I think it is perfectly normal to get disappointed, which I am. The way you said it also made it sounds like it's good for One Piece to have the shitty animation it is getting.
NielloOct 21, 2017 1:29 PM
Oct 21, 2017 1:26 PM

Nov 2016
Fantastic episode.

Soundtracks and visuals were absolutely beautfiful and enhancing the soothing yet melancholic atmosphere of this episode. This was a great little feels trip.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 21, 2017 1:28 PM
Jan 2017
11/10. Anime is SAVED.

Seriously though: these first three episodes have lived up to the hype, and this was the best so far for me. I'm not ashamed to say I cried during the flight scene. This is shaping up to be the show of the season that we need, but don't deserve.
Oct 21, 2017 1:29 PM
Jul 2016
Beautiful art.
Perfect atmosphere and perfect OST.
This is totally going to be AOTS.
Oct 21, 2017 2:05 PM

Feb 2015
I'm pretty picky about VAs for things I've read before watched, but man, everything about this is spot on. Pretty weird to see all the vibrant colours actually come out into the show.

This is going to be a show to remember.
Oct 21, 2017 2:16 PM

Jan 2016
The world is breathtaking honestly
Oct 21, 2017 2:20 PM

Aug 2013
And this episode honestly fucked my feels over...thanks Mahoutsukai...thanks a lot. Now I'm hurt for the day. *curls up in a ball* Hello Darkness, my old friend.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 21, 2017 2:29 PM

Jan 2014
Loving the whole story about where her wand will come from, maybe this will be something nice to look back on towards the end.
Oct 21, 2017 2:35 PM

Aug 2015
It felt too short, maybe i should do a marathon on this anime. My favorite episode so far. 😇
Oct 21, 2017 2:38 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode. I love how calm this show can be.

Those Dragon hatchlings were adorable.
Seeing into the memories of the Old Dragon was amazing. That is one spectacular view.

Chise obtaining her wand one day from its branches is going to be a great moment.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 21, 2017 3:12 PM

Apr 2013
I like this director he actually gives us these long silent moments where we can just relax and enjoy the scene, music and the mood really sets in when everything comes together.

It did not feel rushed and I could literally feel my mood brightening up as I watched this episode. I couldn't stop smiling.

I really like this Chise's character and also her character voice. The old Uli dragon also had the perfect character voice. The lines were great and the delivery was amazing.

This series and MAPPA has saved Anime for me this season~
This would be my perfect series to follow and in contrast, Shoukoku no Altair would be its polar opposite this season.

Oct 21, 2017 3:17 PM

Jul 2016
This and Kujira no Kora are my AOTS so far. Hopefully it keeps this quality up cause I don't think I've given any non-sequels this year anything higher than 7
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2017 3:33 PM

Mar 2017
This anime is absolutely beautiful!!! This episode made it even moreso. I'm truly amazed at this adaptation so far and I know it will just get even better. Lindel is one of my favorite characters in the manga series, so I'm excited he's been introduced and I can't wait to see how he develops in the series as well. I wish I didn't have to wait another week for the next episode to come out.
Oct 21, 2017 3:49 PM

Feb 2015
This episode was brilliantly directed with wonderful sound and composition. I like how Chise is experiencing her new world though past memories of depression and rejection linger. I'm looking forward to see her character develop over the series as she pretty broken at times which showed in this episode.
Oct 21, 2017 4:01 PM

Feb 2016
The animation of this episode (and the anime overall) were so freaking beautiful! I can't get enough of this <3

"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 21, 2017 4:06 PM

Jun 2016
Another episode with 10/10 animation and sound.

Oct 21, 2017 4:40 PM

Dec 2013
Fantastic episode! The flying scene was beautiful.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.