Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Oct 30, 2017 5:34 AM

Dec 2015
Super solid story and pacing, they explained alot in just this episode.
~
Nov 1, 2017 8:53 PM

Feb 2013
Looks great so far!! Can't wait for more!!
Nov 5, 2017 1:55 AM
Aug 2017
Such a nice one, so glad i decided to try it out :).

Is it me or is it that Chise is so kawaii?
Felt like this is prob gonna be one of the best fall anime :). That guy (forgot his name) is so nice, wow, the ending tho lol. ^^ The "fairies" are so evil lol, the look in their eyes hahahha 😈

5/5
I love anime and kpop! <3 BLINK and SONE
Nov 7, 2017 8:24 AM

Jan 2014
so she's sell her life out in the auction of magician and alchemist, am I right?
Nov 10, 2017 1:31 PM

Oct 2012
After 3-ep OVA this was a good start. Wonder if this turns out as XXXHolic stories or something else.

This has surely a potential to be a hit.
Nov 14, 2017 2:08 PM

Dec 2016
So it's a beautiful and well animated show about the amazing and complex world of magic, those inhabit it, and mainly Chise Hatori. I can dig it
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 15, 2017 11:18 AM

May 2014
From the few chapters I read, they're doing a great job adapting the manga, although I'm pretty sure that bit at the beginning of the ep wasn't in the manga? I might just have really crappy memory, but I'm sure we just see Chise at the auction right from the start.

Anyway, I think it works really well because it was never really all that clear that Chise signed herself over as merchandise...really drives home how desperate she is for a place to call her own ;-;

I'm not usually a fan of stuff like this, but this series is so soothing and magical in a way so many anime aren't, despite constant trying.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2017 2:01 PM

Dec 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
That had to be the most boring fucking thing I've watched this summer.

Goddamn what a drag.

Dropped.

Tbh I agree with him (although he was in the false thread) I'm heavily disappointed wth what the first episode had to offer so far,

it was so overtly convenient, Chise's characterization was inconsistent, her character itself was a cliched stereotypical audience stand in and I found her flashbacks and the way they were triggered to be so heavy handed, I don't understand all the positive resonance
Nov 20, 2017 1:12 PM

May 2015
Not sure what people sees in this anime, but for now it's just solid stuff (6 or 7 max).
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 23, 2017 6:38 PM
Jul 2017
I agree with who praised the atmosphere of this anime that, with the music and art direction, was incredible.
Nov 23, 2017 6:40 PM
Jul 2017
Konte said:
looked great....hooked me up for sure....but anyways... wasn't this show aired like last year?
I agree with who praised the atmosphere of this anime that, with the music and art direction, was incredible.why kiss x sis?
Nov 26, 2017 12:52 PM
Nov 2017
This anime reminds me a lot of Beauty and the Beast. I'm really enjoying it so far. I also really like the opening song.
Dec 18, 2017 8:27 AM

Mar 2012
Constantly calling her "my puppy" is cringy asf. Not digging the relationship between the two characters so far. Chise is way too dam submissive and Elias just does whatever the hell he wants.

I'm surprised this was made for a shounen magazine instead of a shoujo.
Dec 26, 2017 1:38 PM
Mar 2017
Great first episode, really beautiful. Excited to watch the rest.
Dec 27, 2017 6:03 PM

Aug 2015
After watching the prequel and now this I'm really excited.
Jan 4, 2018 2:28 PM

Jun 2013
Animation, colors, bgm, etc. is gorgeous, as expected of this series.

I loved how Elias Ainsworth's head and face turned SD at times like when he about to give Chise a bath. I wasn't expecting that, he seemed so elegant that I thought only Chise and the other characters would be SD-fied. Elias is cute with an SD head.

That fairy was a lying little bitch but I honestly want to see their world.
臭い-
Jan 10, 2018 5:04 AM

Jan 2018
Looked beautiful. Music was good. I also want to see more world building. I don't really care about Chise yet (Someone already said the flashbacks reminded them of naruto). Also the chibi comedy scenes felt a little out of place for me. I hope they expand on the characters and the world.
Mar 12, 2018 8:26 AM

Dec 2016
This episode was very nice and interresting. I want to see how this goes from here on :D seems promissing!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Apr 8, 2018 9:52 AM

Apr 2009
The visuals are such an eye candy. Let's see how far or deep the rabbit hole will be.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 18, 2018 7:55 AM
Jan 2017
This anime is definitely beautiful both visually, and in premise.I'm glad that this seems to be one anime that's worth all the hype.
still wouldnt say it's one of my top 10 but it's still a favorable one. I look forward to watching some more
May 3, 2018 7:09 PM

Feb 2015
Avenger-senpai said:
Constantly calling her "my puppy" is cringy asf. Not digging the relationship between the two characters so far. Chise is way too dam submissive and Elias just does whatever the hell he wants.

I'm surprised this was made for a shounen magazine instead of a shoujo.

Exactly, how the hell is this supposed to be for boys... this is for girls who dream to be "saved" by a rich and powerful master, and treated like a "puppy" by him. Something is seriously wrong with this show, and the MAL community seems to be made up of sick perverts who defend a slave-master "relationship" between a 15yo girl and an old guy, just because of... the atmosphere.. lol nice argument to justify your non-existant morals. I feel disgusted after reading all the praising comments.
AkiFosuMay 3, 2018 7:17 PM
Aug 9, 2018 9:25 PM

May 2012
Pretty damn solid start of this series I must say, the mystery and characters just seem right! Which makes it a quite interesting and lovely atmosphere to watch.

Really liked the OVA as well but this full series does seem to have a whole lot more potential! Looking forwards to see what this series has to offer.

The OP and ED are also very damn sick!
Aug 11, 2018 7:12 AM

Jun 2011
I think anyone who have seen this show can agree on the visual being amazing.

I feel the same with this episode as I did with the OVA's pilot episode, it was boring, quiet and dull, and that's not because I am not a fan of slice of life. I do have Mushishi / Natsume Yuujincho as one of my favorite anime series ever. This episode is just... dull. Maybe it'll be amazing in the following episodes like the OVA was but we'll see.

Of course the potential romance is also creeping me out, starting with the guy calling Chise his "little puppy". Not to mention dude's got creepy beast skull as his face, and he's got 2 horns.

The walk down the forest didn't give an eerie feelings that it should have, yeah the illumination gave a very magical feelings but once that ended, what I felt was just boring moments without any sound.

The series so far just didn't have much feels to it, things just happen and you don't get to feel it, aside from a few jump scares from the creepy fairies.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 25, 2018 5:52 AM

Feb 2012
Reminds me of AotC where Cliegg Lars frees and marries Shmi after buying her.

It's so funny when Elias's skull head becomes a blob.
Fortress_MaximusSep 26, 2018 9:50 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Sep 30, 2018 7:26 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
I really was happy with the 3 episode OVA and am quite happy with this episode. I like the slow pacing and love the artwork. This is such a nice break from the usual slogfest of tired tropes and things blowing up. 8/10 to start and settled in for the ride.
Oct 15, 2018 9:42 AM

Oct 2017
beautiful! the story is intriguing and just the right amount of mysterious and the characters are captivating even though they haven't shown us a lot of them. the mage reminds me of ansatsu kyoushitsu's korosensei a little hehe :3 i also think i'll eventually feel attracted to him. just because, you know. it feels right. the fantasy setting works perfectly for me and that op song is a BANGER. loves it
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Oct 15, 2018 11:47 AM

May 2013
I've been dying to watch this anime. First ep did not disappoint. WHATTA CUTE ASS ANIME THIS IS GON BE X)

I love how sweet Elias is to Chise :') d'awwhhhhh <3
Once Chise is a mage, I hope her hair grows longer throughout the years bc the red is gon be sooooooo pretty C:
Dec 1, 2018 5:02 PM

Dec 2012
Chise may not have taken the fairies' offer, but I feel like I've certainly been whisked away to another world. This is gorgeous and the atmosphere + pacing are superb thus far. I imagined Nakata Jouji voicing Elias, but I actually prefer Ryouta Takeuchi's serene & solid voice. Coupled with Elias's demeanor and this has made for a very enchanting welcome.
Jan 17, 2019 10:30 AM

Oct 2014
I was like "Nani the fuck is going on" for most of the episode but it was rather sweet xD but even so, I don't really really like either Chise or Elias for now. It's only been 1 episode though, so of course they'd seem rather dull. I expected more of Elias's character and I wonder what went wrong and why he didn't exactly leave such a strong impression on me.. Maybe it's just a limitation of the anime genre, or perhaps the voice acting... *shruggity shrug*
The music really made it magical, however ^^
Mar 9, 2019 6:46 AM

Jul 2013
I hope I'm one of those people who enjoyed this show enough to give itnan 8+ score. First episode and I think it's ok, still has a lot to prove though.
Mar 30, 2019 4:16 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
only thing I'm confused after watching 3 episode OVAs is that how she ended up in slave market of mystical beasts :D?

Aside that, first ep impression is good. 7/10 with high potential of getting higher score from me. Seems rather bittersweet anime with aspect of great beauty.
Apr 26, 2019 3:01 PM

Feb 2018
Good episode because ains bought someone for expensive Lol.
May 19, 2019 5:19 PM

Sep 2012
whoa not just a pupil but also wife, he just tropped a bomb 😂
Jul 28, 2019 1:14 PM

May 2016
is it ever explained why she sold herself? IT seemed like she willingly did it herself? Did she get anything when she signed herself away or what?
Oct 4, 2019 6:47 AM

Mar 2015
Great start to this one, I enjoyed the OVA that came out before this so I know it'll be good!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 3, 2019 9:42 AM

Sep 2018
A premise for those who begin to see this anime: if you imagine you missed something by watching the first few minutes of this episode, it is due to the fact that you have not seen the OVA before that are the forerunner to this part of the story told in the TV series. The atmosphere that reigns during the narration is the one suitable for an anime based on magic; all the elements are right and the comic moments help to dissolve the somewhat dramatic ones. The drawings and characters met so far are excellent, especially Elias who is already well characterized. Very beautiful backgrounds, not bad the opening, the ending is more catchy.
Dec 1, 2019 2:33 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really great first episode, I already love the universe
Feb 28, 2020 10:25 AM

Apr 2013
So after what happened in her past (the OVAs) she sold herself into slavery? That's quite a bad decision, no matter how you look at it, even if it worked out quite well this time. So he bought her because she's special and also hopes to make her his wife. I thought the fairies would be nice, since I've seen them in the OVA as well.
Apr 21, 2020 10:59 PM

Jun 2013
I'm rewatching this series during quarantine, seeing if I'll have the same opinion. I already finished Akagami no Shirayukihime and now this.

Beautiful animation, OST, great character designs, etc. Now that I look, Chise and Shirayuki (from Akagami no Shirayukihime) look similar with their red hair and green eyes. However, I like Chise more than Yuki.

I'll be reading the manga soon to get more of the story after I finish rewatching all the episodes.
臭い-
May 23, 2020 4:47 PM

Mar 2010
Just the right pace. So far I know chise is desperate asf at this point, but it looks like her luck is coming around. Sad to see her give up on her life but then again some doors open when you submit to reality. I hard pill to swallow, but it must be done.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 16, 2020 8:28 AM

May 2016
I never knew this show was that good I should have watched it back when it was released.

Elias seemed intimidating at first but damn he is a gent. Chise seems really like a good girl, fun rides starts and seems like am in for a treat.
Aug 9, 2020 4:42 AM

May 2020
God, that was better than i expected, awsome
Aug 20, 2020 12:24 PM
Jan 2017
Apprentice => Puppy => Bride => Wife
Well that escalated quickly
Aug 21, 2020 11:56 AM

Nov 2019
great first episode X)

i may as well binge the whole thing
Sep 13, 2020 12:06 AM

Feb 2017
There’s definitely some awkward grooming subtext here that I’m just going to hope is handled well.

That aside, I did feel drawn into the episode (certainly more so than many first episodes). In particular, the artwork is rather pretty and Chise seems like an interesting protagonist with a lot of potential to grow. Not really sure where this is going to go in order to be a 2 cour anime, but I’m certainly intrigued by the show.
Dec 19, 2020 12:50 PM

Jul 2017
Fantastic first episode overall, with WIT Studio hitting all the right notes with this adaptation for the premiere like how they did with the OVAs too. Beautiful usage of colors and lighting to make the atmosphere feel more magical, smooth animation, fantastic music that mixes with the visuals and atmosphere building to create a perfect marriage of audiovisual presentation for a show like this and of course, an interesting magical setting of London with really charming/likable characters already in Chise and Elias where I can smell the long term development for both of them. Such a good start and I can't wait to see them grow together, and for Chise to finally find happiness in a household that wants her without judging her for her misfortune to others, a household with good food, living, baths and love over there pretty much.
Mar 16, 2021 2:55 PM
Mar 2018
I love the opening theme song and the first episode was really good. It would have been perfect if he didn't call her 'puppy'.
May 18, 2021 9:39 PM
Oct 2019
hmm, interesting. oddly...charming

when he started calling her his apprentice i assumed that's what the season would be about, and that towards the end she would develop feelings for him. but then he goes and calls her his future wife out of the blue and i kind of chuckled at the randomness of it

i'm much more curious about this world of magic than the possible romance these two will have

and what were those fairies going to do to chise? eat her? lol. "consume" her in some fashion (be it her "life force" or "magical abilities" or whatever)? they called her their "robin"?

sleigh beggy, huh?

7/10 start. solid
HagePotPotatoMay 18, 2021 10:37 PM
Jun 14, 2021 4:26 PM

Jan 2021
I’m not gonna lie man that food looked real good

Jun 30, 2021 1:06 PM
Sep 2020
Well this is very interesting , I really like this !!! I enjoyed this episode more than i though at first although my expectations were high but this was even better than that !!!

Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.