Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 16, 2017 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was interesting. A strategy that uses similar appearance of the princess to fool others.

Dorothy also stands out as a clever girl imo from this show as she's not afraid to take risks. Similarly, I find the princess herself to be pretty clever too from this episode. I gotta admit, the girls looked also great this episode in their dresses.

Stark700Jul 16, 2017 9:03 AM
Jul 16, 2017 8:18 AM

Aug 2013
This was an amazing episode. Didn't expect this development from the Princess. And Ange and the Princess knew each other before.

Ange really did looked like the Princess in her disguise.

Jul 16, 2017 8:21 AM

Aug 2013
It's getting really interesting. And more importantly, the story seems to be developing as well. I was afraid about 100% episodic formula.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 16, 2017 8:26 AM

Jun 2010
So in case anyone didn't catch it. Episode 1 was "Case 13".
This episode was "Case 01".

This show is awesome and fascinating and I love it.
Jul 16, 2017 8:26 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The princess changed her behaviour as soon as her old friend Ange gave her the note. It doesn't change though that the princess is surprisingly crafty!

The spy actions in this are nice to watch, i was certainly glued to the screen here.

We'll definitely get the full backstory for Ange and the princess later, i assume.
Jul 16, 2017 8:37 AM

Jan 2015
Great episode, better than the last one!

Can't wait for the next one
Jul 16, 2017 8:43 AM

Dec 2014
That was awesome, great episode.

Like someone above says, looks like this is the actual first episode since we see Ange joining the school and only Dorothy seems to already present. The other spies will probably turn up in future episodes.

I did not expect Dorothy to be 20 years old. xD

Watching the girls carry out their spy activities is really thrilling, I'm always excited to see how they're gonna tackle the situation at hand.

The princess is quite the cunning girl, I loved the role she played in this episode and how she managed to team up with the spies. Based off last episode I thought Changling had succeeded and the princess in that episode was actually someone different, really cool how she turned out to be an inside agent.

That ending! that was the real plot twist for me. I never expected Ange to be the one who revealed herself to the princess and instigate her to strike a deal with her superiors. Looking forward to their full backstory.
Jul 16, 2017 8:47 AM

Jul 2007
This episode begins giving us even more insight into who Ange is and the level of talent at deceit she has, as befit of a spy, by showcasing how well she manipulates people. Its basically an even more extreme version of what we saw in the first episode and it is fascinating to watch her alternate between the two seamlessly.

Overall this explains one of biggest questions the first episode poised - why would a princess be a part of spy group working against monarchy-run government? Considering the setting of Commonwealth rejecting monarchy completely(instead of absorbing it into a representative role like in our world) it would make no sense for a princess of royal family to be working with them...NOt unless she was planning to use the situation as a way to eradicate the other heirs and take the throne herself. That certainly recontextualizes her character completely. It certainly explains why scenes between Ange and Princess felt quite manipulative in previous episode. Also there's been foreshadowing that there's a clear connection between Ange and the Princess too and that was also answered this episode, which further recontextualizes both the previous AND this episode revelations making both Princess AND Charlotte an enigma. Nobody can be trusted and everybody has an agenda. Certainly explains why Ange seems to be pointing her gun at her comrades in the opening..

Interesting, interesting. Princess Principal is easily shooting up to be in the top 3 shows of the season. I just love how this show has ACTUAL tense and thrilling spy mindgames(unlike Joker's Game) instead of just grandstanding. Another perfect episode.
Jul 16, 2017 8:58 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
All I have to say is 10/10

These girls are absolutely BRILLIANT and the spy aspect of this series continues to impress
Jul 16, 2017 8:59 AM

Jan 2015
neonie said:
Aahh yes, no wonder they have Ange's introduction and the Princess asking about if Ange ever met her.
The "Art" of being a spy is much shown at the Ballroom, and that's really cool.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jul 16, 2017 9:06 AM

Jun 2015
This was a great episode. Ange can change her voice really well. The princess changed as well when she was given the note. That was an unexpected twist. Both are quite crafty. It was cool seeing how they work. Looking forward to their backstory.
Jul 16, 2017 9:24 AM

Jan 2017
I might have to watch the ep agan, but didn't the Duke refer to the princess as 'Charlotte', which was also how Ange signed her note, as well as how the princess addressed Ange at the end? If so, there's a lot to read into there.
Jul 16, 2017 9:25 AM

Jun 2013
Fantastic episode!
Was not expecting this show to be this good!
Jul 16, 2017 9:32 AM

Jul 2007
raydalyze said:
I might have to watch the ep agan, but didn't the Duke refer to the princess as 'Charlotte', which was also how Ange signed her note, as well as how the princess addressed Ange at the end? If so, there's a lot to read into there.

Yes. The implication is that "Ange" is actually Charlotte and "Charlotte" might have been Ange and they switched some time 11 years ago and they have their own goals in all of this.
Jul 16, 2017 9:35 AM

Apr 2012
This was fantastic, I like how smart everyone is.
Jul 16, 2017 10:04 AM

Oct 2016
Definitely the dark horse of the season. Twist after twist.
Jul 16, 2017 10:08 AM

Sep 2013
Ange and Charlotte with the plans, they were friends/sisters I guess and Ange was planning to kill herself in the end since she was the one who leaked the info.
Jul 16, 2017 10:38 AM

Dec 2014
"It's been ten years." Not aging a day in ten years. Now that's what I call a twist!
Jul 16, 2017 10:43 AM

Jul 2014
While it is interesting that this is chronologically the first episode, the whole thing makes very little sense and Ange's plan should not work at all, considering how much of a big deal was made of the stain on the Princess' dress; everyone would have seen that, so it makes no sense that Ange could just walk out in disguise without even one person being suspicious. It's not a good sign when a spy show is taking such liberties with logic for the sake of the plot so soon, and I'm certainly not as impressed as everyone else seems to be (for whatever reason).
AtavisticJul 16, 2017 10:50 AM
Jul 16, 2017 10:57 AM

Nov 2011
There's still so much more we need to know about defecting. Like how was this wall built and why are people trying to defect to bring with? Is Charlotte trying to become Queen to unite everyone again? Along with the Spies trying to accomplish the same thing? So many questions need to be answered. Maybe Ill rewatch episode 1 again to clear some things up.

Holy crap was episode 2 amazing! This is how a Spy anime should be! A Change in missions, going under cover, freaking dressing up as someone else, damn they nailed it! Really looking forward to how this anime progresses.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jul 16, 2017 11:11 AM

Jun 2010
Atavistic said:
It's not a good sign when a spy show is taking such liberties with logic for the sake of the plot so soon, and I'm certainly not as impressed as everyone else seems to be (for whatever reason).

I think the biggest thing that seems to trip people up with this show is that not an Anime about Spies, it's an Anime in the Spy Genre. It's not going for realism. It's going for style. A spy would obviously never say they were a spy or talk about being spies, but this show does it all the time to let you know it's going for Spy Fantasy, not the Spy Reality.
Jul 16, 2017 12:03 PM
Mar 2017
I enjoyed episode 2 a lot more. And I think it may partly be because it was less Action oriented.

Also, it may be just me, but I"m seeing Pretty Little Liars homages.
Jul 16, 2017 12:06 PM

Jan 2014
Great episode. Studio 3Hz always bringing something unique to the table. They don't do normie stuff lol.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jul 16, 2017 12:27 PM

Oct 2013
The princess was the mastermind all along, the usually foolish character turns out to be a friggin 5D Chessmaster. No one would suspect Ange to be the double agent, but this plot twist was truly amazing.

So, the princess orchestated a plan that would come to work in a decade. Making her best friend/gf join the enemy HQ and become their Ace Spy, so eventually THIS would happen. And now those girls started their phase 2: wiping out the royalty so The princess becomes the Queen.

majestic.
Jul 16, 2017 12:47 PM
Mar 2017
The letter which the princess received was adressed at "Ange" and endet with "Your Charlotte", also the princess called Ange Charlotte at the end. It seems they switched their identidies ten years ago and that our agent Ange is the real princess.
Jul 16, 2017 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
Is Ange the princess? Because the Duke referred to the princess as Charlotte. And she called Ange at the end of Charlotte. And the two are very similar!
Jul 16, 2017 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
Dairosh82 said:
The letter which the princess received was adressed at "Ange" and endet with "Your Charlotte", also the princess called Ange Charlotte at the end. It seems they switched their identidies ten years ago and that our agent Ange is the real princess.

Yes! I got that same impression! It's coming ... The Plot Twist! Lol
Jul 16, 2017 1:38 PM

Feb 2013
martins_andrew said:
Is Ange the princess? Because the Duke referred to the princess as Charlotte. And she called Ange at the end of Charlotte. And the two are very similar!

Yeah. Ange the liar is actually Charlotte (ie the real princess) and the princess Charlotte is actually someone name Ange. In the end, they changed places and maybe they're twins or something like that.
Jul 16, 2017 1:41 PM

Aug 2008
Another great episode. It's been a while since I've watched anime with great twists that are episodic at the same time.

Btw, all of the ladies looked stunning their dresses.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jul 16, 2017 1:47 PM
Jun 2016
This was just wonderfully dark, I loved it. Least in the tone I didn't pick up this was a prequel :> So I was rather confused about a few things, but I really liked it. This season has some great gems.

So far this and 18if are probably my favorites.
Jul 16, 2017 1:56 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This show has been an absolute revelation. There was actual elaborate and cunning mind games going on there, no little girls playing at spies BS. Completely unexpected for me. And that little twist with the princess and Ange at the end was brilliant.

Dorothy can really fill out her dress, he he
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 16, 2017 2:09 PM

May 2015
So classy! Great pacing and tension, and the twist at the end! And the art and the dresses were very impressive too! A really fun watch!

Well now it's easier for me to identify who is who.

Dorothy - the adult of the group with the long brunette hair.. Lol having to fake smoking on the roof. And mmm dat bust. Being classy has their own ways of being sexy. And she seems to be pretty comical too.

Ange - Glasses girl who knows how to switch personalities and voices depending on the situation. Clever girl I should say. And her real name is "Charlotte", but I guess we will stick with Ange for Spy purposes.

Charlotte - Blonde Princess who wants to be Queen. Looks like she's a clever girl herself. I wonder if she and Ange had some sort of training to be sly and deceitful people. Her real name is "Ange", but we will call her Charlotte for the convenience of the story.

Beatrice - Charlotte's short friend and possibly servant. "Don't speak ill of the princess!" type of character. Cute, but hopefully she doesn't get too annoying later on.

Keep it up, 3hz!
TarotistOct 27, 2018 5:43 PM
Jul 16, 2017 2:45 PM
Apr 2017
This was such a good episode, it had great twists, and the story is intriguing. I am definitely going to watch this anime for the season.
Jul 16, 2017 3:05 PM

May 2015
Great episode, definitely getting better and better so far. These girls are surely crafty and the mindgames playing in the background made things even more interesting.

Jul 16, 2017 3:09 PM

Aug 2014
I really dont want to like this but the story seems to be decent as of right now so I'll hold out a little longer.
Jul 16, 2017 3:15 PM

Aug 2013
neonie said:

I did not see that! Thanks for pointing it out; the damn subs were in the way of the subtitle for the episode lol.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 16, 2017 3:18 PM

Aug 2013
So Ange and Charlotte, man talk about that depth. This show is friggin interesting as hell.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 16, 2017 4:10 PM

Dec 2016
I am really enjoying this anime.

The twists and turns and everything else in between make this really enjoyable to watch.

Ange is a princess and a spy, the princess is also a spy, I love all the drama that's unfolding.
Jul 16, 2017 4:39 PM
Jan 2015
my favorite of this season.
Jul 16, 2017 5:16 PM

Jul 2013
Just started this show! This was not what I expected when I tried it out! In fact, I think I like ep 2 better than ep 1 :) The princess is very crafty and it seems like Ange is playing double agent or something for the princess. That part where Dorothy just pulls the dress down to show her breasts was pretty funny. Can't wait for the next episode!
Jul 16, 2017 6:20 PM

Sep 2016
ange is the real princess, of course, her name is ange, the best name in anime.
and beatrice is so annoyign she is typical loyal princess asslicker dog character trope
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 16, 2017 6:30 PM

May 2017
Ok guys I understand that ange and Charlotte switced places at some point in the past, but I'm confused as to why at the end Charlotte and ange are so friendly w/ one another and why they had to keep it a secret from the other two.
If the real Ange wanted to become queen, wouldn't that go against and spark a red flag for real Charlotte. Why are they working together?Is real Ange manipulating them and there's nothing to be done about it?

Might just be overthinking this btw, I do that a lot.🤓
Jul 16, 2017 6:36 PM

Dec 2007
Atavistic said:
While it is interesting that this is chronologically the first episode, the whole thing makes very little sense and Ange's plan should not work at all, considering how much of a big deal was made of the stain on the Princess' dress; everyone would have seen that, so it makes no sense that Ange could just walk out in disguise without even one person being suspicious. It's not a good sign when a spy show is taking such liberties with logic for the sake of the plot so soon, and I'm certainly not as impressed as everyone else seems to be (for whatever reason).
They indicated that the Princess can call for a spare dress in short order. They were gone long enough for the Princess to get said dress and change, and that was all that was really needed to avoid suspicion. So sorry, but no plot hole there.
Jul 16, 2017 7:11 PM

Oct 2008
The princess cannot be taken lightly!
And Ange and Princess looks like they knew each other already...
4/5.

Jul 16, 2017 7:32 PM

Aug 2012
-we back in timebois
-spaghetti
-case number is 1 this time
-huh, so ange was ange the entire time
-bruh she 20 no wonder she's so stacked
-i don't think you should be declaring your spyness in a crowded ballroom
-welcome to the ballroom is turning out pretty great
-princess is a bit denser than i thought she was
-never mind i got baited
-poor beatrice
-princess is a conniving little brat, i love it
-wait so the duke wasn't completely sure the key was lost and still did that
-huh interesting, ange used the cavorite as morse code
-wait
-wait
-now wait just a goddamn moment
-ange was not ange the entire time

Episode 2 did have a really similar episode layout to the first one, where the first 19 or so minutes was pretty standard storytelling, and then the end of the episode drops a bombshell that changes your perception of the entire episode. I have no qualms if this is the type of episode formula that they decide to follow for the rest of the show. It just makes a second watchthrough of the episode just as great as the first one. For example, the "first" conversation between Ange and Princess has an entirely different connotation the second time around. There's also, of course, the opportunity to pick up things I missed the first time around like how "A" and "D" were Ange and Dorothy.

In terms of production quality, the scenery still looks as gorgeous as it was in episode 1, and there was some conspicuous CGI work with the background ballroom dancers, but I think all scenes with the main cast were all done conventionally. Also, the ballroom attire was really fancy schmancy, props to the character designers.

It was also kinda interesting how Ange was the one flexing voice acting skills when Beatrice was the one doing it in case 13. Actually, it's also interesting seeing the different changes between case 13 and case 1, like how one of the command chain guys in this episode wasn't in the first episode. Also, Chise was not in this episode at all, which is kinda surprising to me since I thought her and Dorothy had some really long history from their one conversation in episode 1. All in all, this episode pretty much proved that episode 1 isn't a fluke and that this show does legitimately have some magic behind it. I was sorta worried because the only material in the PVs were from the first episode.
Jul 16, 2017 7:50 PM

Sep 2012
The twist at the end was so good.

FukGoBack said:
Ok guys I understand that ange and Charlotte switced places at some point in the past, but I'm confused as to why at the end Charlotte and ange are so friendly w/ one another and why they had to keep it a secret from the other two.
If the real Ange wanted to become queen, wouldn't that go against and spark a red flag for real Charlotte. Why are they working together?Is real Ange manipulating them and there's nothing to be done about it?

Might just be overthinking this btw, I do that a lot.🤓

From what I get in this episode they were childhood firend so probably both of them are noble. I think we will see why they switched in later episodes. I don't think any of them want to become the Queen. They just want to win the war.

Also for curious people here the letter at the end:
Jul 16, 2017 7:53 PM

Mar 2013
I wasn't expecting this. I'm still wondering what's the relationship between Ange and Charlotte. At this point I don't know who is Ange and Charlotte anymore.
"Isn't Victini the cutest Pokemon of all time?"
Jul 16, 2017 8:16 PM

Apr 2011
if ange is actually charlotte, then when she played the princess she actually played herself

mind = blown

Jul 16, 2017 8:43 PM

Jan 2013
It was a great episode but that ending... My mind is confused xD So Ange and Princess switched sides again? Back to their normal places? Wtf xD I hope it will be explained later.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jul 16, 2017 8:46 PM

Jan 2013
neonie said:

WOW Can't believe i didn't notice that xD Thank you for pointing that.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2017

102 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 17, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2017

205 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 8:04 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Thatonebadbro - Sep 24, 2017

183 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 12:31 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2017

117 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 11:43 AM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2017

141 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.