Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 15, 2017 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Meh, this episode felt boring compared to the previous ones. I guess pacing slowed down for this show a bit and it's giving the viewers a better glance at the main protagonists especially their personalities.

I'm not surprised that Yoshiyuki feels uneasy about some of the recent events so he's taking action.
Jul 15, 2017 9:08 AM

Mar 2013
Go Kane-san and Mucchan! man Yagen is healer go, Getting nervous when they saw a roushi and Horikawa's outfit makes me nervous. still hes not here. Saniwa says they have 3 days rest day, so It means the Mikazuki team one will appeared in that day. still the animation are cool.
Waiting for Tsurumaru Kuninaga.
honokiJul 15, 2017 9:40 PM
Jul 15, 2017 9:11 AM

Jul 2015
For me this episode was the best one so far, as it felt more grounded than the earlier ones that were just about introducing saniwa magic and spooky time travel monsters. Mutsunokami's and Horikawa's ex-tempore infiltration was interesting, I'm glad that the bad guys weren't just monsters but also regular people. Can't wait for next ep which probably shows the citadel and new swords.
Jul 15, 2017 10:50 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
mimiiria said:
For me this episode was the best one so far, as it felt more grounded than the earlier ones that were just about introducing saniwa magic and spooky time travel monsters. Mutsunokami's and Horikawa's ex-tempore infiltration was interesting, I'm glad that the bad guys weren't just monsters but also regular people. Can't wait for next ep which probably shows the citadel and new swords.
Yeah, this being more grounded is why I liked this a lot too but the second ep is still my favorite so far

And it was a very nice touch to see that the antagonist this times were regular people just falling in line with how they are presented in history
Jul 15, 2017 11:13 AM

May 2017
I really like this anime so far.
Jul 15, 2017 11:41 AM

Jun 2015
History has been saved. The enemies were just samurais with no master who just want what's best for their country. Some got arrested. That completes the unit's first mission.
Jul 15, 2017 11:53 AM

Aug 2013
An ok episode i guess. It felt a bit dull.

Yoshiyuki finally accepted Kane-san as his captain.

Jul 15, 2017 12:05 PM

Oct 2016
This episode was better than the first two as the pacing was better ( I think ), there was more happening so it was less boring and we got to see new enemy characters outside of the Historical Revisionists but god, this episode still was susceptible to Ufotableism and generic anime comedy ( Logic, moments ).

MikazukiRanbuJul 15, 2017 1:32 PM
Jul 15, 2017 12:08 PM

Jun 2016
I don't think this episode was dull or anything, just more dialogue to give the characters some development.

The animation is incredible as expected with Ufotable, I don't know anything about Japanese history or anything, I imagine if you do it adds a lot to the show.

To me, it's just time travelling samurai, i'd prefer if the after credits were about the characters places in history so I could learn something.

Jul 15, 2017 12:34 PM

Oct 2016
mimiiria said:

I have a feeling the next episode is just going to be this current group out on their next mission but they'll likely introduce tsurumaru since he's the last member of the second unit. But we'll see. If they do introduce the next group of swords, ill be super happy but it doesn't feel Like they will.
Jul 15, 2017 12:35 PM

Oct 2016
agilityredfox said:
I don't think this episode was dull or anything, just more dialogue to give the characters some development.

The animation is incredible as expected with Ufotable, I don't know anything about Japanese history or anything, I imagine if you do it adds a lot to the show.

To me, it's just time travelling samurai, i'd prefer if the after credits were about the characters places in history so I could learn something.

Time traveling samurai who are SWORDS - lol but yeah that's ... Basically what it is.
Jul 15, 2017 12:37 PM

Jan 2009
well at least it has some moral words to go by lol like this one

Jul 15, 2017 1:20 PM
Jul 2018
Well for me, this episode was exciting than last two episodes. EP2 had too much filler-like dialouges and this one had some developement stuff. Also some top-notch actions. Cool.

But OP is rather more interesting for me for this anime than the rest of stuff. At the end of this episode, this show's PLOT finally gotten me interest.

Jul 15, 2017 1:26 PM

Dec 2014
Decent episode.

Looks like our team was able to prevent the Time Retrograde army from completing their objective and prevented any change in history.

It was nice to see that the Roushi were just normal people following their own beliefs.

Action was great.
Jul 15, 2017 1:28 PM
Jan 2017
This show is shaping up to be one of the best of the season. We see some differences between Kanesada and Mutsunokami when something goes wrong in the mission, and yet they are able to work it out by remembering they're not really that different from the people of that era. I'm also liking Kunihiro's role as the newcomer. Overall, the show does a good work at both plot development and character development.
Jul 15, 2017 1:53 PM
Aug 2016

I loved the ep. Its funny to remember that both mutsu and hijikatagumi are from the same era of the mission.
knowing some background history will make the show more enjoyable.
hori is becoming more hori-like and adapting; while i dont think he was ooc at all since ep 1 but he just came and was concerned about his role and so on.
saddened me how kanesan is trying his best while he got overlooked. poor baby ;-;
at least he seemed acknowledged at the end?
next ep looks like a relaxing ep; can't wait.
Jul 15, 2017 2:36 PM

Apr 2014
I'm not feeling it.. The first episode was quite good, but now everything is going downhill, sadly. :-(
Jul 15, 2017 3:06 PM

Apr 2016
I enjoyed this episode more than the other two, I feel like the pacing was better and hori is FINALLY starting to feel a little bit more like himself. I'm still salty with the characterization lmao. Hopefully we'll see tsuru in the next ep!
Jul 15, 2017 3:55 PM
May 2015
Still waiting for Tsurumaru and Munechika.

Though, the dynamic in the beginning where Kanesada and Yoshiyuki where they argued is pretty neat, considering their original master's were on different sides of Japan's Meiji struggle and whatnot, so it fits that they argue a ton.
Jul 15, 2017 4:30 PM

Jan 2016
First half was a pain to get trough, it was alot better after that.

Man Ufotables animation makes the fights so great. I re-watched the part where the dude dived under water and sliced a part of the ship 5 times. Gorgeous!
Jul 15, 2017 4:31 PM

Jun 2013
Glad that this finally had a good episode!
Jul 15, 2017 5:08 PM
Dec 2016
agilityredfox said:

Some history information here. (Forgive me, I am a history otaku) By the way, the men in the ending were their former masters.
The first 2 characters appeared are Izuminokami Kanesada and Horikawa Kunihiro. Both were the swords of Hijikata Toshizou. Hijikata Toshizou was the vice captain of the famed Shinsengumi, a police force that serve the Tokugawa Bakufu. Hijikata found a swordsmith from Kanesada school, and asked to be made a katana (Izuminokami) which had similar characteristics to his wakizashi (Horikawa). This makes Izuminokami the youngest of the cast. Hijikata later fought in the battle of Hakodate against the Imperial Army and was killed while in combat on horseback by a bullet that shattered his lower back.

Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki was belonged to Sakamoto Ryoma. He united Choshu domain and Satsuma domain to overthrow Tokugawa Bakufu and this put him as an enemy of the Shinsengumi. Sakamoto Ryoma was ultimately attacked and murdered at an inn in Kyoto. Initial reports accused members of the Shinsengumi for Ryōma's deaths, and Shinsengumi leader Kondō Isami was later executed on this charge.This is the reason Mutsunokami and Izuminokami dislike each other.

Tonbokiri is one of three legendary Japanese spears created by the famed swordsmith Fujiwara Masazane, said to be wielded by the daimyō Honda Tadakatsu, a leading general of Tokugawa Ieyasu. Honda Tadakatsu was referred at Sengoku strongest warrior because he never once suffered a significant wound, despite being the veteran of over 100 battles by the end of his life,and because he was never defeated by another samurai.

Yagen Toushirou is a Tantou owned by Oda Nobunaga, a powerful Daimyō of Japan in the late 16th century who attempted to unify Japan during the late Sengoku period. Nobunaga is regarded as one of three unifiers of Japan along with his retainers Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu. He was killed when his retainer Akechi Mitsuhide rebelled against him at Honnō-ji. It is thought that Yagen has perished along with Nobunaga when the Honnō-ji burn down.
Jul 15, 2017 5:44 PM

Jun 2017
Really enjoying this show quite a bit. This episode felt like it developed more, without having a ton of info-dumps like episode 2. I think Mutsunokami is my favorite character so far.
Jul 15, 2017 6:32 PM

Dec 2016
Very good episode.

Nice to see that the team is now fully co-operating with each other.

Next episode should also be very good now that they are a team that's is gelling well together.

Jul 15, 2017 6:48 PM

Mar 2016
Good episode with some action and some development of the characters personalities as well. As always I'm in love with the animation by Ufotable which was stunning in this episode! I can't wait to see what the second unit does next episode and what type of adventures await them!
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Jul 15, 2017 7:03 PM

Jul 2009
ShadowfrostZen said:

you and me both. MUNECHIKAAAAAA!!
Jul 15, 2017 7:19 PM
Apr 2017
emilyhime19 said:
agilityredfox said:

Some history information here. (Forgive me, I am a history otaku) By the way, the men in the ending were their former masters.
The first 2 characters appeared are Izuminokami Kanesada and Horikawa Kunihiro. Both were the swords of Hijikata Toshizou. Hijikata Toshizou was the vice captain of the famed Shinsengumi, a police force that serve the Tokugawa Bakufu. Hijikata found a swordsmith from Kanesada school, and asked to be made a katana (Izuminokami) which had similar characteristics to his wakizashi (Horikawa). This makes Izuminokami the youngest of the cast. Hijikata later fought in the battle of Hakodate against the Imperial Army and was killed while in combat on horseback by a bullet that shattered his lower back.

Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki was belonged to Sakamoto Ryoma. He united Choshu domain and Satsuma domain to overthrow Tokugawa Bakufu and this put him as an enemy of the Shinsengumi. Sakamoto Ryoma was ultimately attacked and murdered at an inn in Kyoto. Initial reports accused members of the Shinsengumi for Ryōma's deaths, and Shinsengumi leader Kondō Isami was later executed on this charge.This is the reason Mutsunokami and Izuminokami dislike each other.

Tonbokiri is one of three legendary Japanese spears created by the famed swordsmith Fujiwara Masazane, said to be wielded by the daimyō Honda Tadakatsu, a leading general of Tokugawa Ieyasu. Honda Tadakatsu was referred at Sengoku strongest warrior because he never once suffered a significant wound, despite being the veteran of over 100 battles by the end of his life,and because he was never defeated by another samurai.

Yagen Toushirou is a Tantou owned by Oda Nobunaga, a powerful Daimyō of Japan in the late 16th century who attempted to unify Japan during the late Sengoku period. Nobunaga is regarded as one of three unifiers of Japan along with his retainers Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu. He was killed when his retainer Akechi Mitsuhide rebelled against him at Honnō-ji. It is thought that Yagen has perished along with Nobunaga when the Honnō-ji burn down.

Waaahhh! Thank you for the information!

Well, to enjoy this anime, we definitely have to know briefly about the history of Japan and things related to the sword warriors' former masters...By doing that, we will be able to understand the story and the characters better... Afterall, this anime focuses on the struggles of the sword warriors to prevent changes in the history...

About this episode, I think it is much much better than the previous ones... Kane-san is a good captain...😙😙😙
Jul 15, 2017 7:35 PM

Oct 2016
Inugirlz said:
ShadowfrostZen said:

you and me both. MUNECHIKAAAAAA!!

Same. BRING OUT MIKAZUKI
Jul 15, 2017 11:35 PM

Oct 2016
Also just want to throw out there that Ufotable REALLY needs to work on how they match up the characters with their backgrounds because seriously, in these screenshots, the characters literally look photoshoppedand it's admittedly really hilarious and also pretty jarring. The backgrounds are too detailed and look too realistic in comparison to the characters who don't look detailed enough.

Jul 16, 2017 1:38 AM

Jun 2017
This episode kinda felt mediocre, except for the animation ofc.
Jul 16, 2017 1:53 AM

May 2017
Love this ep as well! Can't wait for the next mission :"D
Jul 16, 2017 3:29 AM

Jun 2016
That was a pretty decent episode. Can't wait for the next one.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jul 16, 2017 5:05 AM

Jul 2017
Uh I don't know...The dialogue felt forced, the exposition still seems clumsy and I can't find much to like apart from the animation.
I'll probably drop
Jul 16, 2017 6:57 AM

May 2012
It as boring as the other two episode. No difference

I think I have to drop it now. Worst show from ufotable in last 5 years
Jul 16, 2017 11:58 AM
Oct 2015
I like this episode, in my opinion it's better than the two previous.
I liked how if they avoid changing story, inocent deaths will happen anyways (the ronin) and the little reference Mutsunokami made to the Shinshengumi, showing his opinion. In a way, the ronin remind me the Shinshengumi. They fought for their beliefs but the change (accept foreigners or not, support the shogun or the emperor) went in the opposite direction.
Jul 16, 2017 3:16 PM

Jul 2017
The only good thing about this is the animation. It is not a bad show, but it isn't any good.
Jul 16, 2017 3:57 PM
Aug 2016
Ylenie said:
I liked how if they avoid changing story, inocent deaths will happen anyways (the ronin) and the little reference Mutsunokami made to the Shinshengumi, showing his opinion. In a way, the ronin remind me the Shinshengumi. They fought for their beliefs but the change (accept foreigners or not, support the shogun or the emperor) went in the opposite direction.

Its actually he was reminded of his former master sakamoto ryoma; he was the same as the ronin and was willing to kill foreigners until he got convinced by some guy and changed his thinking.
the shinsengumi too fought for the bakufu but i think he felt the connection to ryoma.
Jul 16, 2017 4:37 PM
Oct 2015
Kaio_chiii said:
Ylenie said:

Its actually he was reminded of his former master sakamoto ryoma; he was the same as the ronin and was willing to kill foreigners until he got convinced by some guy and changed his thinking.
the shinsengumi too fought for the bakufu but i think he felt the connection to ryoma.

Oh, I didn't know it. Thanks for the info.
Jul 17, 2017 10:57 AM

Dec 2015
Well, my opinion of Mutsunokami has made a sharp 180° turn, I liked him in this episode.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 17, 2017 1:12 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm not getting much out of this show to be honest. I wish things slowed down a little and we got background for our characters and a bit more context.

I'm also somewhat miffed at how casually the ronin are described as being good men, just misguided, for what by all intents is their murderous assault on foreigners.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 17, 2017 6:56 PM
Dec 2016
Farabeuf said:
I'm not getting much out of this show to be honest. I wish things slowed down a little and we got background for our characters and a bit more context.

I'm also somewhat miffed at how casually the ronin are described as being good men, just misguided, for what by all intents is their murderous assault on foreigners.

Well, to be fair, with them foreigners are enemies that come to corrupt and invade Japan. As a samurai, their duty is to protect their country
Jul 18, 2017 1:11 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
emilyhime19 said:
Farabeuf said:

Well, to be fair, with them foreigners are enemies that come to corrupt and invade Japan. As a samurai, their duty is to protect their country

What foreigners are attacking them here? It comes off as plain xenophobia to me.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 19, 2017 1:41 AM

Oct 2008
Did I just saw Heizo Hasegawa from Onihei!? (on the scene 17:46) LOLZ
4/5.

Jul 19, 2017 7:53 PM
Dec 2016
Farabeuf said:
emilyhime19 said:

What foreigners are attacking them here? It comes off as plain xenophobia to me.

Foreigners brought new things, things the Japanese never seen before. They afraid that those things would replace their traditional values, turn them into some kind of slaves to the foreigners. Those fears are not without reason you know. Like my country in the past, the French came in, trade and brought modernization but after that, they turned my country into a colony. People that opposed them was thrown into a prison in the middle of the ocean and were tortured there. There are also the fact that in that time period, the US sent 4 warships to force Tokugawa Bakufu to open their country for trading.
Jul 19, 2017 7:56 PM
Dec 2016
matias067 said:
Did I just saw Heizo Hasegawa from Onihei!? (on the scene 17:46) LOLZ
4/5.

If that city is Edo, there is a chance he is Hasegawa Heizo. XD
Jul 20, 2017 4:00 AM

Jan 2017
Damn Yoshiyuki is as far the most annoying character of this anime.
Jul 20, 2017 11:25 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
emilyhime19 said:
Farabeuf said:

Foreigners brought new things, things the Japanese never seen before. They afraid that those things would replace their traditional values, turn them into some kind of slaves to the foreigners. Those fears are not without reason you know. Like my country in the past, the French came in, trade and brought modernization but after that, they turned my country into a colony. People that opposed them was thrown into a prison in the middle of the ocean and were tortured there. There are also the fact that in that time period, the US sent 4 warships to force Tokugawa Bakufu to open their country for trading.

I'm aware of all these things. It does not change the fact that in the context of this show and story, they have not been oppressed or slaughtered and their reaction to foreign presence is brutal and over the top. If you cannot recognise the element of xenophobia present here, you're being either very naive or your fandom has blinded you to the fact that there is a remnant of xenophobia still present in Japanese society that has little to do with Commodore Perry's ships.
This is the last I will say on the subject.

Jul 20, 2017 3:03 PM
Aug 2016
^
This series does not explain everything; because it based on history and year 1863 there were views against foreigners. Also; there is no expanding on background history; almost everything in this franchise is up to the player to check up; read and learn history.
so of course you wont get the history lesson here.

Jul 20, 2017 3:30 PM

Oct 2016
Kaio_chiii said:
^
This series does not explain everything; because it based on history and year 1863 there were views against foreigners. Also; there is no expanding on background history; almost everything in this franchise is up to the player to check up; read and learn history.

Well, this is supposed to be a Historical anime. While the game doesn't explain that much history, thisanime does but you can feel their views are a bit bias and the lessons being learned here are obscured rather than going more into depth. For a serious anime, its not wise of them to leave out that kind of information especially since ufotable is going so heavy on exposition in the wrong places.
Jul 20, 2017 3:54 PM
Aug 2016
MikazukiRanbu said:
Kaio_chiii said:
^

Well, this is supposed to be a Historical anime. While the game doesn't explain that much history, thisanime does but you can feel their views are a bit bias and the lessons being learned here are obscured rather than going more into depth. For a serious anime, its not wise of them to leave out that kind of information especially since ufotable is going so heavy on exposition in the wrong places.

I agree its a historical series but it does mention the information we should be concerned with; and is important to the touken danshis.
I dont think there is any need to give a whole history on who and what and complcate the series. It isnt a documentry To be fair the info they are giving is the same as most bakumatsu animangas give so i dont see a problem with their info and dont think there is any need to expand more. If they should expand it later i would welcome it.
This is my opinion and we may differ and its not a problem.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2017

108 by L01MK »»
Mar 22, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2017

45 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Feb 10, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2017

88 by Ryuzaki775 »»
Jul 12, 2022 11:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2017

246 by A-Simple-Squire »»
Mar 20, 2022 2:24 PM

» Can I watch this without watching Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru first?

Kirukato05 - Sep 9, 2021

2 by Kirukato05 »»
Sep 10, 2021 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.