Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 8, 2017 8:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good OP song, definitely had a good amount of production quality poured in. It has montage of most of the main leads too.

Loved the action sequences and although it still felt like a talky episode in the second half, it did establish its principle cast. Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki is starting to become my favorite in this series now. He brings in a brighter mood into the show and even has a GUN. Pretty balanced episode. The ending gave me some thrills.
Stark700Jul 8, 2017 8:56 AM
Jul 8, 2017 9:16 AM

Jul 2015
The episode took way too long to introduce the characters, it was super dull and there was almost no OST playing for minutes. The last few minutes of the episode were great though, so they made up for it a little. The ED was alright.
Jul 8, 2017 9:24 AM

Mar 2013
Cool Mucchan (Mutsunokami) has arrived finally he managed to controlled a gun now. Yagen attack moves are too fast and im so happy They are introducing too long I thought its their honmaru but its inn..
kiya Yagen introducing himself is too funny😍😍
I dont have any idea what is that foreingner saying, but its pretty useful in the story to think that the ship will be exploding and gonna start a war in tht ship😍as expected from ufotable still Tsurumaru is not still appearing they are only 5 and cant wait to use the team 1 the Mikazuki team Oodenta, Namazuo, Manba, Sohayano😚😚

the ending is expected to be a sad song.Plus their masters like Oda, Sakamoto appeared in the ending video. of course Its Kalafina after all.
honokiJul 8, 2017 9:25 PM
Jul 8, 2017 10:13 AM

Dec 2015
Well, It Took Long For The Introduction of the characters >.<
The OP Was Good and The ED too >.<
Naegi-KunJul 8, 2017 10:24 AM
Jul 8, 2017 10:30 AM

Jan 2015
It wasn't a bad episode

Better than the first one for sure
Jul 8, 2017 10:53 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Great ED and OP (Sounds like Kalafina for the ED)

Episode was pretty fun, good introductions all around, amazing and tense action sequences and great visuals from beginning to end
Jul 8, 2017 10:53 AM
Oct 2007
This pacing feels quite draggy for me ..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2017 10:58 AM

Dec 2015
The OP was good but I didn't like the song that much, the ED was fine.

They basically let everyone in the castle die, some great time guardians they are ts ts ts. Also, was it really necessary for them to have all these long-ass names? It'll take me some time to memorize them. So far all the characters are fine, but I'm starting to dislike the guy with the piston, he's pretty annoying.

Other than that, this was a pretty ok episode.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 8, 2017 11:04 AM

Dec 2008
joe_g7 said:

They basically let everyone in the castle die, some great time guardians they are ts ts ts. Also, was it really necessary for them to have all these long-ass names? It'll take me some time to memorize them. So far all the characters are fine, but I'm starting to dislike the guy with the piston, he's pretty annoying.

Those are the actual names of the swords, so yes.
Jul 8, 2017 11:06 AM

Dec 2015
PandaCath said:
joe_g7 said:

Those are the actual names of the swords, so yes.
Thank you for pointing out the obvious.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 8, 2017 11:12 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, not a bad episode to say the least thanks to the rather interesting second half of the episode. Definitely better than the first though but still not quite fluent, I reckon. Not a bad pick for the Op and ED but nothing noteworthy in this case. The action sequences looked quite appealing during the first half as well so that's a bonus.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 8, 2017 11:16 AM

Nov 2016
I think that was rather good than bad and a bit better than last week, but I'm still not completely sold.

In terms of action this show is still doing a good job with it's presentation. Definitely fun to watch.

I also liked the opening.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 8, 2017 11:24 AM

Dec 2014
Pretty decent followup episode. Action is great as always. :)

Episode was quite heavy with the introduction. so it did feel a little dull at points but it wasn't bad at all.
It'll take some time for me to recognize character by their names. It's interesting how all of them are actually the swords of various historic people.

So this time renegade army or whatever attempts to disrupt history while these guys attempt to let it flow the way it should. Let's hope everything works out well after the Renegade army's attempt to instigate war.
Jul 8, 2017 11:31 AM

Aug 2013
Nice OP and I liked the ED (Of course it's because of Kalafina)

An ok episode overall. It managed to introduce all the characters and it had some good action.

Jul 8, 2017 11:35 AM

May 2017
Love this ep as well!
Mutsu is a GOOD BOY, he eats a lot xD
We got intruduction between the sword boi, but Yagen make it akward lol
KALAFINA ED, THEY SHOWED THE SWORDS' ORIGINAL MASTERS
Jul 8, 2017 12:00 PM

May 2017
Overall it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the next episode, it seems is gonna be lit.
Jul 8, 2017 12:02 PM

Oct 2016
Ahh, this episode was just as I expected it to be. Interesting for the actions parts and boring/tedious for the rest until the next big thing happened. Horikawa was not focused on much in this episode so I couldn't gauge if ufotable fixed the issues I had with his characterization in the first episode ( kinda glad they didn't focus on him much ). The introduction scene felt pointless to me especially since most of the swords in that group know each other from the Citadel ( as they even pointed out in the episode themselves ) and it felt like a forced way of introducing the audience to the characters. Generic anime type introduction as well- coupled with the unnatural flow of the conversation and the character who initiated the introduction circle repeating what the person who introduced themself already said along with some added trivia - as per the usual. Was not as clumsily written as Hanamarus introduction sequences but I guess it felt extra tedious to me since I already know the characters well and it felt drawn out. Putting this under spoiler because its long.
Jul 8, 2017 12:04 PM

May 2017
Overall it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the next episode, it seems is gonna be lit.
Jul 8, 2017 12:07 PM
Mar 2012
Nice google translate level Dutch :D "やめてください - Gelieve te stoppen", it's still funny to hear your own language in an anime, especially one like this lol
Jul 8, 2017 12:24 PM

Jun 2015
I got bored. Hanamaru was more exciting.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 8, 2017 12:26 PM

Jan 2009
this anime is slow paced for sure
Jul 8, 2017 12:57 PM
Apr 2017
luccide said:
This pacing feels quite draggy for me ..

Indeed... In this episode, I got excited only when Kane-san realised that there will be war because of the foreigner and history might be changed... he ran towards the ship, saw something happened and then, the episode ends... 😧
Jul 8, 2017 1:10 PM
Dec 2015
Mutsunokami was the best part of the episode, We got to see his "Ryoma" side and the big dream to seize the world...his speech of "..the world Ryoma couldn't see....what wouldn't i give to see that?" is somehow a death flag, though..his breaking line in the game is "What...this is where I will die..? I wanted to see the world though..". Not only his cute side but the occasional glimpses of his serious side and the fact he wouldn't forgive any senseless tragedy.. God, I love my starter sword so much....

Other good thing is Izuminokami throughout the episode,...
Jul 8, 2017 1:12 PM

Jan 2009
at least some of a dialogues are nice like this one

Jul 8, 2017 1:15 PM

Sep 2016
another zestiria, ufotable level graphic and then nothing else
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 8, 2017 1:45 PM
Aug 2013
Anybody else feel a lacking of a real (Not cannon fodder) villain?
Jul 8, 2017 1:50 PM

Oct 2016
PMT1992 said:

The only villains in the Touken Ranbu franchise are the Historical Retrograde army- the things you see the team attacking. There is no main single person behind it as far as we know.
Jul 8, 2017 2:03 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
This episode was boring, not because there wasn't much action after the beginning, but it was just filled with introductions that weren't even, imo, interesting. Again, probably because I really don't like Mutsu, and don't care for Izumi or Horikawa or Tonbokiri. Yagen was chill though, as always. Also the attempted "comedy" wasn't even humorous.

I haven't been following news on the series, so finding out that they're second unit was nice. Save the best for last I guess?
Jul 8, 2017 2:24 PM

Aug 2010
Hmm maybe it's just me but I found the episode thoroughly enjoyable. Sure the introductions were long but for the most part it was quite natural since Horikawa is a newb and needed the intros. Mucchan (Mutsunokami) seemed to be the center for this particular episode and I'm not complaining because he was my starting sword (still one of my faves too).

Only issues I found from this episode aside from usual ufotable directing are what seemed like a forced conflict between Mucchan and kanesan (more of that scene when Mucchan left for the port, like that was rather random), and also yagen's more lone wolf-personality that I felt wasn't true to his persona in the source material where he was chill but still more sociable. But then again this is the 2nd episode and I'm also still waiting for Tsurumaru so we'll see how this develops I suppose.
Jul 8, 2017 2:31 PM
Jun 2017
Yeah it reminds me of utawareru mono :P
Jul 8, 2017 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the previous one. It's good to have some other characters.

Liinut said:
Nice google translate level Dutch :D "やめてください - Gelieve te stoppen", it's still funny to hear your own language in an anime, especially one like this lol

Haha I know right. I never expected to hear something like that to happen when watching anime from all things.
Jul 8, 2017 3:08 PM

Jan 2009
tingy said:

I haven't been following news on the series, so finding out that they're second unit was nice. Save the best for last I guess?

ye if they are the second unit then that means this guys on the OP video song are the first unit?

Jul 8, 2017 3:23 PM

Oct 2016
j0x said:
tingy said:

ye if they are the second unit then that means this guys on the OP video song are the first unit?

Yup. Mikazuki's group is the first unit but they probably won't be introduced until later on in the series unfortunately 😭
Jul 8, 2017 3:25 PM

Jan 2009
MikazukiRanbu said:
j0x said:

Yup. Mikazuki's group is the first unit but they probably won't be introduced until later on in the series unfortunately 😭

ah ok, from how slow the pacing of this anime is so far im sure this will have like 20+ episodes anyway so plenty of time to introduce the first unit too
Jul 8, 2017 3:32 PM

Oct 2016
j0x said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

ah ok, from how slow the pacing of this anime is so far im sure this will have like 20+ episodes anyway so plenty of time to introduce the first unit too

I heard that Katsugeki is confirmed for 13 episodes but knowing ufotable it will go for another cour and add on 13 more lmao
Jul 8, 2017 3:37 PM

May 2017
MikazukiRanbu said:
PMT1992 said:

The only villains in the Touken Ranbu franchise are the Historical Retrograde army- the things you see the team attacking. There is no main single person behind it as far as we know.
but maybe we'll get an intruder instead *cough*KBC*cough* lol waiting for it xD
Jul 8, 2017 3:39 PM

Oct 2016
livexevil said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

Oh yeah! I forgot about the Kebiishi but technically aren't they not bad guys? Cuz they want to keep History as it is as well. They just attack the touken danshi because they're also anomalies in the past ( BC they're not supposed to be there )
Jul 8, 2017 3:45 PM

May 2017
MikazukiRanbu said:
livexevil said:

Oh yeah! I forgot about the Kebiishi but technically aren't they not bad guys? Cuz they want to keep History as it is as well. They just attack the touken danshi because they're also anomalies in the past ( BC they're not supposed to be there )
ik they're not bad xD but still an intruder when something happening lol xD
Maybe we'll get tsuru from them? :/
Jul 8, 2017 3:49 PM

Oct 2016
livexevil said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

I feel like tsurumaru will appear the same way yagen and tonbokiri did. Saniwa just poofs him there because they need a final member and apparently tsurumaru is strong and experienced so. ( idk why they didn't send him in the first place )
MikazukiRanbuJul 8, 2017 3:55 PM
Jul 8, 2017 3:50 PM

Mar 2016
This anime has all the tools to be successful quality characters, a good concept, and lots of action and adventure! I like the direction the anime is started down in this second episode and the fluid animation of fight sequences is top notch! I can't wait to see the next episode
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Jul 8, 2017 3:57 PM

May 2017
MikazukiRanbu said:
livexevil said:

I feel like tsurumaru will appear the same way yagen and tonbokiri did. Saniwa just poofs him there because they need a final member and apparently tsurumaru is strong and experienced so. ( idky why they didn't send him in the first place )
hmm maybe that could be the case, but why the saniwa didn't put him in first unit if he's that strong and experienced. Maybe I just want to see how ufotable animated the saniwa summoned it/create them as human xD
Jul 8, 2017 4:04 PM

Oct 2016
livexevil said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

I feel like tsurumaru will appear the same way yagen and tonbokiri did. Saniwa just poofs him there because they need a final member and apparently tsurumaru is strong and experienced so. ( idky why they didn't send him in the first place )
hmm maybe that could be the case, but why the saniwa didn't put him in first unit if he's that strong and experienced. Maybe I just want to see how ufotable animated the saniwa summoned it/create them as human xD

Saniwa put tonbokiri in the second unit despite him being strong and experienced ( more so than the others ) and yagen has presumably been there a while so its more ufotables weird writing decisions I believe lol and same but I'm pretty sure all the swords that are in this anime have been forged already so we probably won't see now saniwa brings them to life RIP its implied that they've all been there a while save for Horikawa who is the newbie. Shit, Tonbokiri time traveled 54 times so it must have been a while.
Jul 8, 2017 4:05 PM

Jan 2016
Fun episode but it was dragged out a bit. Maybe I was just to sleepy but oh well. Opening is great!
Jul 8, 2017 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
This episode had some serious developement for the story and other rest 65% of the time was just manly talks (well I feel weird to watch such shounen talks in a ufotable animes)

The last minute sure gave us the mood to watch the next episode! Nice.

By the way, OP was really awesome and cool! Second of my favorite opening in this year anime.

Dont care pacing, such ufotable anime is always pleasure to watch!
Jul 8, 2017 6:17 PM

Jun 2013
This entire episode was incredibly meh.
Jul 8, 2017 7:02 PM

Dec 2016
I had a feeling something big and bad was about to happen the moment they started talking about the fire being spread further than before.

Could be a big war coming.
Jul 8, 2017 7:14 PM
Jan 2017
Overall, this was a good episode. While not lacking in the action department, the crux of this episode was the characters' introductions and the exposition that helps newcomers get used to the premise. The animation was absolutely gorgeous, as well as the intro and ending songs. Can't wait for next week!
Jul 8, 2017 8:55 PM

Jun 2015
Decent episode. Action scenes was pretty good. The character's introductions was a bit long though. Mutsunokami is quite energetic. Looks like the Time Renegade Army wants to start a war.
Jul 8, 2017 10:25 PM

May 2017
MikazukiRanbu said:
livexevil said:

Saniwa put tonbokiri in the second unit despite him being strong and experienced ( more so than the others ) and yagen has presumably been there a while so its more ufotables weird writing decisions I believe lol and same but I'm pretty sure all the swords that are in this anime have been forged already so we probably won't see now saniwa brings them to life RIP its implied that they've all been there a while save for Horikawa who is the newbie. Shit, Tonbokiri time traveled 54 times so it must have been a while.
oic, bit confused with the way ufo write this off, maybe they just want to make it exicting that way with saving the strongest sword at the end lol.
Too bad..I want to see that part(saniwa forged them) :/
Yup its must been a while, actually i know why they decide to adapt tourabu with that timeline, they want to avoid inexperienced/noob saniwa trope or how he was choosed, how they can back to past etc, I think that will be too hard for ufo to write the story lol.
livexevilJul 8, 2017 10:30 PM
Jul 8, 2017 11:20 PM

Oct 2016
livexevil said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

oic, bit confused with the way ufo write this off, maybe they just want to make it exicting that way with saving the strongest sword at the end lol.
Too bad..I want to see that part(saniwa forged them) :/
Yup its must been a while, actually i know why they decide to adapt tourabu with that timeline, they want to avoid inexperienced/noob saniwa trope or how he was choosed, how they can back to past etc, I think that will be too hard for ufo to write the story lol.

Yeah ufotable is taking a lot of liberties/writing shortcuts which is why so far Katsugeki feels less like a Touken Ranbu anime adaptation and more like a ufotable anime ft. Sword boys lmao I think we can agree that ufotables writing choices for this anime are very strange
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2017

45 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Feb 10, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2017

88 by Ryuzaki775 »»
Jul 12, 2022 11:44 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2017

246 by A-Simple-Squire »»
Mar 20, 2022 2:24 PM

» Can I watch this without watching Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru first?

Kirukato05 - Sep 9, 2021

2 by Kirukato05 »»
Sep 10, 2021 12:40 AM

Poll: » Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2017

41 by Cylico »»
Nov 15, 2019 10:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.