Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 15, 2017 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The first episode was actually pretty interesting. OP song has a stylish feel to it while we learn that the current timeline/setting is in the aftermath of a disaster.

Robotic technology seems to be a driven force for the storytelling.
One of the main robots has an unique look to it too.

Only thing that bothered me a bit is Hiroshi's character design...mainly the big nose which is slightly distracting. Otherwise, I think this show has a lot of potential.
Apr 15, 2017 7:29 AM
Dec 2013
The end was pretty cute and funny with the way they were pinching each other's noses and how they suddenly bursted out in laughter. I'm keen for what's to come :D
Apr 15, 2017 10:30 AM

Apr 2017
Most Colorful and yet Stylish... Opening Ever... Can't wait all the fight scenes.. to be animated plus it's Production IG.. The fighting sequences double up some... heavy shading effect....

100,000 horsepower can.. easily wreck down the whole house.... in one blow xD

Want to see more of this Origin...

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 15, 2017 12:54 PM

May 2010
Soramafu here too wohoho

Not watching ofc.
Apr 15, 2017 2:30 PM

Dec 2012
The first episode was really good. Hiroshi and Umataro are funny, I loved the scene after the festival.
Six is so detailed, I am looking forward to seeing more of his story. It looks very promising
Apr 15, 2017 6:48 PM
May 2009
Of course Amazon Strike nabbed this, ugg. I really want to punch Amazon this season.
Apr 15, 2017 8:28 PM

Oct 2013
i loved the op and ed!!! was really fun to watch. can't wait for next ep~
Apr 15, 2017 9:36 PM

Feb 2016
why the fuck this has 6.97? generic garbage like Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism has even more score than this... what the heck

that aside, this show drives right into nostalgia, the OP was really nice, ED too, the anime is quite refreshing I must say, so bad that it might get really underrated
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 15, 2017 10:04 PM

Oct 2015
Jack_Corvus96 said:
why the fuck this has 6.97? generic garbage like Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism has even more score than this... what the heck

that aside, this show drives right into nostalgia, the OP was really nice, ED too, the anime is quite refreshing I must say, so bad that it might get really underrated
probably because no one's watching this lol.
Apr 16, 2017 1:14 AM

Sep 2016
That was a nice episode. Also, there was a jojo reference
Apr 16, 2017 2:46 AM
Dec 2014
Jack_Corvus96 said:

Amazon my Friend, a good number of us want to watch this, but Amazon has the rights , and I am no hell paying for Prime.
Apr 16, 2017 2:52 AM

Mar 2014
EGOIST said:
Jack_Corvus96 said:

probably because no one's watching this lol.

then, no one's giving score.
or
they didn't watch, but give a bad score
Apr 16, 2017 3:35 AM

Sep 2015
Jack_Corvus96 said:

Everyone preference is different, what you think is good doesn't mean others hold the same opinion. The same goes to ratings, everyone's rating is different also. Well if this series is good, the ratings will up slightly eventually. Call something a generic grabage, sad.

For someone who read both Busou Shoujo and Atom:beginning latest manga(raw version), I do prefer Busou Shoujo. Atom:beginning is slightly boring, pretty much like slice of life with a robot friend.
valvravetruthApr 16, 2017 3:40 AM
Apr 16, 2017 5:41 AM

Feb 2016
valvravetruth said:
Jack_Corvus96 said:

Everyone preference is different, what you think is good doesn't mean others hold the same opinion. The same goes to ratings, everyone's rating is different also. Well if this series is good, the ratings will up slightly eventually. Call something a generic grabage, sad.

For someone who read both Busou Shoujo and Atom:beginning latest manga(raw version), I do prefer Busou Shoujo. Atom:beginning is slightly boring, pretty much like slice of life with a robot friend.

I got your point there, still, its quite dumb because some people wants something different, but almost never watches something different.

about Generic Garbage, it was just a Rant, didn't have a good day, still its a pretty generic setting
~Blackwall
Apr 16, 2017 5:43 AM

Feb 2016
japzone said:
Of course Amazon Strike nabbed this, ugg. I really want to punch Amazon this season.

what do you mean by this?
~Blackwall
Apr 16, 2017 6:38 AM
May 2009
Jack_Corvus96 said:
japzone said:

Amazon started charging extra for their Anime content this season. So on top of whatever you end up paying for Amazon Prime, you have to pay $6 for their "Anime Strike Channel" in order to access most of their Anime now, especially their Simulcasts. That's HBO levels of money without the catalog clout to back it up.

It's really annoying that they got a few exclusives this season, but even then I don't want to pay that much money for it. Not when for less I can get access to both Crunchyroll and Funimation, or maybe throw in an extra streaming service on top and match the price.
Apr 16, 2017 9:16 AM

Oct 2008
watched from nyaa's Amazon rip provided by i think herkz...
This is the most anticipated show of Spring 2017 and it didn't fail to deliver!
5/5.

Apr 16, 2017 9:46 AM

Aug 2013
The animation and art quality is impressive. It looks like 100% hand drawn. Totally unexpected in 2017. I'm not quite sold to character design (looks like Pokémon, which is understandable, one of studios which is making this anime is OLM - yeah, they produced Pokémon) but general quality of visual side is just too high.
I will watch it strictly because of it
rsc-plApr 16, 2017 9:55 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 16, 2017 9:55 AM

May 2010
ugh why the big nose ? just makes me more aware of my own big nose...
Apr 16, 2017 9:58 AM

Aug 2014
Six is hype. Motoko's pretty cute. Mustache stuck in traffic, wonder if he'll play a role.

Stark700 said:
Only thing that bothered me a bit is Hiroshi's character design...mainly the big nose which is slightly distracting.

You can't just change the professor's iconic nose. Tenma's nose actually isn't big enough. I suppose that's where the nose touching comes into play.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 16, 2017 10:24 AM

Aug 2014
Kerozinn said:
ugh why the big nose ? just makes me more aware of my own big nose...

Well... is an astro boy prequel
Apr 16, 2017 11:34 AM

Nov 2014
Stark700 said:
Only thing that bothered me a bit is Hiroshi's character design...mainly the big nose which is slightly distracting. Otherwise, I think this show has a lot of potential.

Well, that's because they have to stick to the original design, and the original (older) hiroshi looks like this:

Astro Boy is one of the first animes I've watched as a child. It's part of my precious childhood memories. That's why I decided to watch this even I didn't expect much from it. To support Astro Boy. But this episode was beyond good! I hope they keep it up because this has potentials!
Apr 16, 2017 12:10 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Was very nice this first episode...

...we can enjoy with the first adventure of this great Robot, that saves a festival helped to turn off a fire on a robot is near to explote!!!!
The doctors (investigators) are youngest and their personalities are simils whe will be older, although there are a little changes!!!
Like the scene when jump to scape, with the sun under his back!!!!

7/10 for this first episode!!!!
Apr 16, 2017 12:47 PM
Mar 2011
A prequel of astroboy with a JOJO reference. I was not expecting this.
Apr 16, 2017 1:14 PM

Jun 2014
Really good first episode! I really enjoy the unique art style and I think this is going to be an interesting and fun one. Animation was really good as well. A shame literally no one is going to watch it.
:3
Apr 16, 2017 1:23 PM

Apr 2015
Yakugami said:
what was the reference?
Apr 16, 2017 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
This was... really fun and interesting first episode!! I really liked it and the character chemistry kept me invoked the whole episode.Indeed another of my top 5 anime of this season!

No wonder this was prequel or spin-off of 1960s anime and this looks impressive! and totally feels like 2017-ish anime~
Apr 16, 2017 1:55 PM
Mar 2011
Raz1515 said:
Yakugami said:
what was the reference?

A random character talked about Emerald splash when the robot destroyed the water tank.
This is a reference to the end of Stardust Crusader.
Apr 16, 2017 2:14 PM

Apr 2015
Yakugami said:
Raz1515 said:
what was the reference?

A random character talked about Emerald splash when the robot destroyed the water tank.
This is a reference to the end of Stardust Crusader.
ah the one i noticed was how they described their sandwiches the same way kira did his
Apr 16, 2017 2:47 PM
Jun 2016
I have been so hyped for this and it did not disappoint. I grew up with the 80's reboot as a kid, watched the original as a teen and then of course the 90's/00's with my kids. Yes it has a nostalgia factor but I thought it was well executed. Love that it has crisp modern animation but still in Astroboy style. ❤❤❤
Apr 16, 2017 3:31 PM

Dec 2015
Hmm I don't know, everyone else seems pretty content with it but I didn't like it that much to be honest.

The exposition through dialogue was handled really badly in my opinion; I found the unnatural general explanations pretty distracting.

Also I expected this to be the case and I might be biased but I found the younger versions of Tenma and Ochanomizu to be out of character a little too much. Obviously, they would be different, it's only logical for them to change with age story wise and obviously since it's not Tezuka's version but I found myself becoming irritated with this portrayal nonetheless.

I'm also a little skeptical when it comes to the new characters; I hope that whatever happens to them, will fit the narrative of the Astro Boy original character's future development.

Bahi JD did a great job with the Opening and the art looked good for the most part but Ochanomizu's wonky tall slim figure didn't really fit his older appearance and was animated weirdly most of the time. Also his nose should have been this large but the form didn't match the drawing style that much in my opinion.

But maybe I just need some time to get used to it, after all, I was looking forward to this a lot.
Apr 16, 2017 4:30 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It was a pretty nice start.
7/10 for the first episode.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 16, 2017 4:34 PM
Nov 2015
Nice fun classic style anime! I enjoyed this more than I expected! I'm not one of the legion of Strike haters but I do wish they'd do better at emphasizing their shows on the roku app. I only found out about this through ANN, whereas it should have been a focus of the exclusives screen.
Apr 16, 2017 4:59 PM

Oct 2012
Pretty nostalgic, it definitely has a classic feel imo
The OP was absolutely fantastic, it gets me really excited for what's to come

Nice intro ep, we got to know the main cast and got our first glimpse of A106 and his sense of self
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Apr 16, 2017 7:12 PM

Dec 2008
Wow! Six looks AWESOME! Can't wait for the next episode!!
Apr 16, 2017 9:05 PM

Jul 2011
The animation is really enjoyable, especially during the action scenes. And the OP. <33

I think I'll enjoy this more than I thought I would!

Though I'm a little mixed about Tenma. Wouldn't his reason for creating Atom be gone if he's a university student? Hmm...
MirorinApr 16, 2017 9:11 PM
Apr 16, 2017 9:11 PM

Jun 2013
Wow, im surprised! That was actually really fun!
Apr 16, 2017 10:19 PM

Feb 2014
This was great. Good job production IG
Apr 16, 2017 10:48 PM

Mar 2009
Okay, but when are we getting an adaptation of Naoki Urasawa's Pluto?
Apr 17, 2017 2:03 AM

Jun 2013
the OP is good and it was okay
Apr 17, 2017 3:15 AM

Aug 2012
Fine episode. 6.5/10
Not sure if I'll countinue.
Apr 17, 2017 4:39 AM

Dec 2015
Didn't even know this was related to some older series. From the description it seems the older series is more like some super hero series with focus on that robot. Not too motivated to watch that.

But the chars in this series (probably more focus on the developers and the other chars from that university) seem more interesting.

Liked the 1st episode. That blonde woman ... I guess she's the evil/enemy char. Since she had some guys getting her information on the main chars. I doubt it was because she was interested because they rescued the people (she couldn't have know ... only that other guy in the technical/command room knew about the danger). But if she was the one that planned it ... it would make sense.

Other student (the no 1.) seems to be the good looking and polite guy and one of the brothers the good looking "badass" type of char. (And the sister of no 1 guy might start to like him.) The other younger girl (sister of the ugly looking brother) ... maybe the'll make it so she starts to like the no 1 guy. We'll see.

Chemistry between the chars was nice. Robo design is nice as well. I guess the char design/overall style is something a lot of people don't like. (Especially the ugly guy and the noses.) Might be a reason for the lower scores on MAL.
Apr 17, 2017 7:28 AM

Dec 2014
Totally forgot this was coming out.

Anyway, very good first episode. I don't remember much of Astro boy from back in the day but those noses sure do bring some nostalgia back. XD

Six was awesome this episode, love how he put out the fire based on his judgement. Pretty cool that he saved all the people there before the disaster happened, sadly most of the people will never realize what he did. :(

Nose pinching at the end was kinda odd but amusing nonetheless. xD

Looking forward to more.
Apr 17, 2017 7:55 AM
May 2010
I've read the manga, so as adaptation this is a good one.

What caught my attention though is that OP, I've not seen every anime this season but this is probably the most colorful and fun OP from this season. I've heard it was animated by Austrian studio is that true?
Apr 17, 2017 7:23 PM
Mar 2014
im upset that there are people giving this show less than a 10. the animation is objectively good tell me im wrong i dare you !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 17, 2017 8:03 PM

Jan 2013
japzone said:
Jack_Corvus96 said:

Amazon started charging extra for their Anime content this season. So on top of whatever you end up paying for Amazon Prime, you have to pay $6 for their "Anime Strike Channel" in order to access most of their Anime now, especially their Simulcasts. That's HBO levels of money without the catalog clout to back it up.

It's really annoying that they got a few exclusives this season, but even then I don't want to pay that much money for it. Not when for less I can get access to both Crunchyroll and Funimation, or maybe throw in an extra streaming service on top and match the price.

Some people have tried to convince me anime strike is a good thing but they forget that with crunchyroll all we have to do is wait a week to watch for free + ads, no such thing with amazon's greed strike.
Apr 17, 2017 9:01 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Hiroshi and Umataro made this episode for me.....Man I love those two together and Six was pretty cool too

The little sister of that condescending/cocky douche cripple genius was kind of a bitch but I like her lol
Apr 18, 2017 5:15 AM

May 2009
Nose grabbing like in the original

Best OP of the season.

Why is cast section so empty?
Apr 18, 2017 5:50 AM
May 2009
Luthandorius said:
Didn't even know this was related to some older series. From the description it seems the older series is more like some super hero series with focus on that robot. Not too motivated to watch that.

Just want to point out. This is a prequel to Astro Boy(aka: Mighty Atom), one of the oldest Anime TV series which aired in 1963. Worth looking up the synopsis just so you know about it.
Apr 18, 2017 10:53 AM

Apr 2014
The show looks really beautiful. I'm excited for this show although I've never watched Astro Boy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Atom: The Beginning Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2017

32 by Vindicater »»
Feb 21, 2022 1:12 AM

Poll: » Atom: The Beginning Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2017

32 by Vindicater »»
Feb 17, 2022 2:45 AM

Poll: » Atom: The Beginning Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2017

17 by Vindicater »»
Feb 11, 2022 4:57 AM

Poll: » Atom: The Beginning Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2017

13 by Vindicater »»
Feb 9, 2022 3:44 AM

Poll: » Atom: The Beginning Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2017

22 by Vindicater »»
Feb 4, 2022 6:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.