Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 19, 2017 10:02 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Meanwhile, Umibouzu is alive (luckily) and Kamui seems like a better person now. Everyone’s badly injured though, but luckily we still have some comedic moment in this episode. And now we got back a bit in time to show what happened with Takasugi.

And it’s time for Oboro’s flashback, which will also be the climax of this arc. We get to know how Oboro got his slight regenerative powers and how Utsuro (well, with more Shouyou characteristics) helped him as a child. And we get to know how Oboro was Shouyou’s first disciple. And after so long, we finally get to see how the old Joui rebels and their companions are doing. And the final major fight of the arc, Takasugi vs. Oboro’s is happening.

Man, poor Oboro was a good kid, but it was expected that Sorachi will make Oboro seem good by the end. I mean, very few Gintama villains remain as villains. Though out of all of the Gintama villains, Oboro’s probably one of the more likable ones. Damn, Takasugi’s not gonna eat anything for a while now. And it seems like Oboro lost the fight. The fight was really short though, especially compared to the really lengthy Kamui fight. And this episode is one of the slower paced episodes of the arc.

3 chapters adapted (590-592), while rearranging things for the better. It was smart to adapt chapter 592 before 590 and 591 so it’ll flow better and they can end the episode on a higher note. Some of the flashbacks were rearranged (like how Utsuro's flashback starts just when the fight starts instead of before it). Next episode will be the conclusion of the Rakuyou arc.

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerMar 19, 2017 10:50 AM
Mar 19, 2017 10:38 AM

Dec 2015
Ah my favorite part of this arc. Once again, behold Gorilla-sensei's ability to make a seemingly unlikable and uninteresting villain suddenly become one of the most well-developed and likable characters by giving them such emotional backstories. Oboro T_T
Mar 19, 2017 11:32 AM

Dec 2015
Gorilla-sensei, can you please stop making me feel bad for the people I should hate?
Hugs, joe_g7.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 19, 2017 12:15 PM

Feb 2012
Oboro was the true Senpai that Gin and co needed, but they didn't deserve him.

I agree that he should have had 1 more final clash with Gintoki, and possibly get killed by him, after Gin finds out about his backstory and how he was Shouyo's first disciple as well, but sadly we never got this. Having Oboro die from Takasugi was hella stupid from Sorachi.
Mar 19, 2017 1:02 PM

Oct 2016
Ramkec said:
Oboro was the true Senpai that Gin and co needed, but they didn't deserve him.

I agree that he should have had 1 more final clash with Gintoki, and possibly get killed by him, after Gin finds out about his backstory and how he was Shouyo's first disciple as well, but sadly we never got this. Having Oboro die from Takasugi was hella stupid from Sorachi.

Not really. This battle was staged for a pretty poignant reason. Takasugi and Oboro stood at the opposite end of the political spectrum, and has come into clash numerous times via proxy (ex: sadasada's death). Their ideologies contrast each other ironically, since both loved the same person but decided to go down different paths to the extreme.

Gintoki who no longer fights for Shoyou alone would not have cared for the revelation as much as Takasugi, nor does it affect how he carries out his future plans.
Mar 19, 2017 1:41 PM
Aug 2016
It was a masterpiece episode! Maybe it is just me but reminded me kind of Kenshin's past.
Mar 19, 2017 1:59 PM

Sep 2014
This episode really wrapped up a lot about the series' backstory. I hella enjoyed this episode and feel quite bad for Oboro. But damn Takasugi got impaled on his cheeks! I really cannot imagine how it feels like!
Mar 19, 2017 2:00 PM

Aug 2016
Really great episode. Change the chapters alignment. It's strange but good idea BNP.
Mar 19, 2017 2:17 PM

May 2014
Oh, Kamui...why must you make me cry?? ;-;

This was an especially feelsy episode, and definitely shed some well needed light on Oboro's past. Looks like he's gonna finally kick the bucket...I mean, I don't really care bc I don't like the guy but I 'get' him more now!

He tried to do a real selfless and righteous thing by sacrificing himself for Shoyo's dream, but surviving and seeing him with Gin and the rest years later is sure to plant the seeds of bitterness in almost anyone.

I laughed at Umibozu's cannon arms haha XD

Preview said there's a big announcement next week...wonder what that's all about? Maybe something to do with the manga, live-action or the episode count for this season?? O_O
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2017 3:02 PM

Sep 2014
Oboro had an interesting connection to Shouyou-sensei. In the end he wanted Shouyou and his Junior students to have great lives, but his sacrifice was more mentally damaging than he probably expected it to be.

Also cliffhangers like this should be illegal!
Mar 19, 2017 3:19 PM

Dec 2014
Amazing episode as always.

It was great to see Kamui standing up again and walking away with the spirit of freedom of a pirate. Such a cool scene. :3
Glad to see Umibozu still alive, totally don't want him to die. It was nice hearing him reflect on how no matter what happens, the bonds of their family will always bring the three of them together. :)

I started tearing up when Gin and Shinpachi told Kagura to not submit a resignation letter but a leave letter and then Kagura pulled a fast one on me with the paid leave letter. XD Damn it, Gintama. Can't help but tear up and smile at the same time.

Oboro's past was great, very nice contrast of both his and Takasugi's ideology regarding Shoyo. The backstory also shed a lot of light regarding how Crow became Shoyo and eventually back to Utsuro. Oboro is a really loyal guy, I have respect for him given the lengths he went too for protecting Shoyo's ideals. R.I.P Oboro.
There's only one question I have regarding his flashback, he states that he was the one who helped capture Shoyo, did he do this out of jealousy?

What's this big announcement next week? :o
Mar 19, 2017 3:31 PM

Mar 2016
Well, it's sad so. He quit a teacher. >,>
Mar 19, 2017 3:33 PM

Dec 2012
Haha Umibozu with those Cannon arms & Kagura asking for paid leave.

Poor Oboro. Tried so hard to protect Shoyo & could've been a disciple with the others.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 19, 2017 3:35 PM

Sep 2015
Too much feel on 1 episode can't hold em all
this scene break me

Gorilla can make you feel bad to "evil" dude in very short flashback
100/10

12 ep for this season? dam it
Into the Internet!
Mar 19, 2017 3:55 PM

Feb 2013
Kagura should have known by now that if you are in Yorozuya you shouldn't ask about having a paid vacation.
Lol, cool new hands for Umibozu.
Damn, I didn't think that I would feel bad about Oboro.
Also major announcement next week, probably news about a new season, maybe the final one?
Mar 19, 2017 3:59 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Ulquiorra said:
Kagura should have known by now that if you are in Yorozuya you shouldn't ask about having a paid vacation.
Lol, cool new hands for Umibozu.
Damn, I didn't think that I would feel bad about Oboro.
Also major announcement next week, probably news about a new season, maybe the final one?
Well its already supposed to keep going this spring since they already announced the next artists for opening and ending and their PV of the next arc. Maybe its just to double confirm that it continue tho
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 19, 2017 4:09 PM

Apr 2016
With all due respect, I feel like this current arc has made me realized that I don't give a flying f*ck about the overall plot of Gintama. I watch Gintama for the humor, the well-written dialogue and the clever parodies, and I have found myself incredibly bored with it this entire season. Gintama is definitely not at its strength as an average battle manga. I guess its just my opinion, but I think Gintama has gone sour and I'm finally realizing it.
Mar 19, 2017 5:31 PM
Jul 2015
SamBlack said:
With all due respect, I feel like this current arc has made me realized that I don't give a flying f*ck about the overall plot of Gintama. I watch Gintama for the humor, the well-written dialogue and the clever parodies, and I have found myself incredibly bored with it this entire season. Gintama is definitely not at its strength as an average battle manga. I guess its just my opinion, but I think Gintama has gone sour ad I'm finally realizing it.

lel watch Fairy Tail
Mar 19, 2017 5:40 PM

Dec 2013
I actually felt bad for Utsuro after that flashback and I couldn't care less for him up until now.

Beginning was hilarious. Especially the arms.
Mar 19, 2017 7:49 PM
Jun 2012
Next opening and ending have been announced for Gintama. so there is more than 12 episodes for sure, i sent the modification for moderators to check that.
Mar 19, 2017 8:15 PM

Mar 2016
next season announcement maybe?
Mar 19, 2017 8:57 PM

Dec 2015
Great Episode as always!

Feels good to see Kamui standing back again and moving forward as a captain and as a pirate.

Seems like Yato family is finally resolved, Umi got some cool looking canon arms making him more OP, and Kagura asking for a paid leave HAHA! its yorozuya what could she expect?

Ahh Oboro, Sorachi has this ability of making us resent a character for long periods of time to making us feel bad for him with just a simple backstory. I really like how gintama villains are not just an evil one dimensional character, but rather have their own goal and reason, only to have chosen the wrong path.
QueenSapphireMar 19, 2017 9:26 PM
Mar 20, 2017 3:20 AM
Oct 2007
I'm not sure why Gintama recently doesn't seems to appeal to me despite being a fan. It might be because I watched the show when my eyes are about to close or when my mood is down.. Still very much looking forward to see how all this is going to end!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2017 3:41 AM

Aug 2014
Umibzou's new arms are pricelss, and Gintoki is gonna pay for it lmao.
Mar 20, 2017 8:21 AM
Mar 2017
I remember is confirmed that Gintama continues in April with new opening and ending.
Am i wrong?
Mar 20, 2017 10:12 AM

Dec 2014
Umibozu is alive and shoyo first student story was kinda nice...kinda help me understand the guy more
Mar 20, 2017 10:35 AM

Apr 2009
I hope it's not yet the final episode next week.
Mar 20, 2017 10:49 AM

Apr 2009
Mar 20, 2017 10:57 AM

Feb 2017
ezaya said:

It will be the final Episode of this Arc, but the next Arc will start a week later.

When you swim in the sea and an eel bites your knee, that's a moray!
Mar 21, 2017 12:19 AM
Jul 2011
Yep, when in full battle shounen mode Gintama is total snorefest.
In the previous seasons the drama was more interesting and believable, here we are in tearjerker territory.
Mar 21, 2017 2:41 AM

Jan 2015
megaload said:
Yep, when in full battle shounen mode Gintama is total snorefest.
In the previous seasons the drama was more interesting and believable, here we are in tearjerker territory.
This arc is the most shounen-y, which is sort of unfortunate, but I'm still enjoying it (despite the animation).
Mar 21, 2017 8:58 AM

Mar 2017
Simply It was the best ep in this seson the fight and the flash-back
Mar 21, 2017 11:07 AM
Oct 2011
Kinda boring episode tbh.
Mar 25, 2017 10:52 AM

Jun 2013
I knew that none of them would really die. Gintama would never do that. They only kill off the characters that you'd only miss for a while but would eventually forget like Sasaki Isaburo. Still, I appreciate it because I would be really sad if they killed of any of my favorites.

Kamui couldn't kill his own family, he'd hurt them and he's still a little bitch of a crybaby but he could never truly kill them. Umibouzu's arms! XD

LOL at Kagura asking for a paid leave.

So Oboro was the official first student, now he's dying, he's going to reveal Utsuro's secret with his last breath.
臭い-
Mar 26, 2017 8:45 AM

Jul 2010
Bibimbapski said:
I knew that none of them would really die. Gintama would never do that. They only kill off the characters that you'd only miss for a while but would eventually forget like Sasaki Isaburo. Still, I appreciate it because I would be really sad if they killed of any of my favorites.

Not true. They killed Sho-chan :(
Mar 26, 2017 12:29 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Great episode, also the flashback to Oboro lifetime in the days he knew the "sensei"!!!!
The first part of the episode, was full of...smiles...funny!!!!
Mar 28, 2017 2:32 AM

Jun 2013
Hypokeimenon said:
Bibimbapski said:

Not true. They killed Sho-chan :(

True. :( Breaks my heart every time i remember it. I was in denial.
臭い-
Mar 29, 2017 2:21 AM

Mar 2012
Didn't expect Oboro to be his first student. Sucks that his final fight was so lackluster but I suppose he was weak and dying at this point.
Mar 31, 2017 7:39 AM
Mar 2017
What is Utsuro? Does he have many personalities like Shoyo and when died from Gintoki turned evil again? Why did Oboro sell out his master and told the location of Shoyo? Thanks
Apr 9, 2017 3:50 PM

May 2012
Another very impressive episode, with a great backstory and development! Really looking forward to see what the last episode will have to offer from this seemingly last season!?
Apr 10, 2017 7:45 AM
Jul 2018
Utsuro is an immortal because he was born with altana in his body the energy of earth thus as long as he is on earth and gets this energy he will constantly regenerate. He has lived and died so many times he is completely empty and desires to put an end to everything including himself to end tihs suffering.

Utsuro lived as 13 heads of the tenshoin naraku assasin cult, who were all thought to be be different people but were all actually the same man, him.

After centuries and centuries of living an empty existence doing nothing but taking from and killing others , the personality shoyo began to emerge and he started to want to put an end to his existence in another way, by seeing if he could give people something instead and trying to be a good guy, thus after he became oboro he made the decision to do it for good and became "Yoshida Shoyo" as we know him, and raise Gintoki and the other students.

Oboro sacrificed himself to let Shoyo get away as the cult would never stop coming afte rhim since he betrayed them. He wanted to let Shoyo never kill again and raise students as he wanted to, and in order for this to happen he stayed in the cult and tried to keep them away from Shoyo secretly. However, on that day he walked by the Shoka Sonjuku and saw Shoyo so happy with his students and living a fulfilling, happy life laughing, while Oboro's life was miserable, that is why he sold out shoyo, even though as he said he believed he would be back as he knew of his immortality.

After Shoyo died, his head regenerated obviously or reconnected and somoehow his Shoyo personality was erased and replaced with the hollow, empty, evil utsuro again, and Oboro decided to serve his teacher with the last of his remaining life as he always planned to even if he was no long Shoyo anymore.
Oct 16, 2017 2:54 AM
Jan 2017
The more times i watch this, the more sad Oboro's story becomes.

Bibimbapski said:

Kamui couldn't kill his own family, he'd hurt them and he's still a little bitch of a crybaby but he could never truly kill them. Umibouzu's arms! XD

LOL at Kagura asking for a paid leave.

So Oboro was the official first student, now he's dying, he's going to reveal Utsuro's secret with his last breath.

How can you possibly forget Isaburo lol?
Feb 24, 2018 5:28 PM

Nov 2016
Shinsuke vs Oboro,yet a another fantastic confrontation +flashback. This arc rocks.

So eager to learn the truth behind Shoyo/Utsuro.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 18, 2018 8:09 PM
Sep 2017
Awww - that was pretty sad seeing Oboro’s backstory - the first student. Sure seems like Shoyo Sensei was a man to inspire great loyalty (when he was Shoyo, not Utsuro). I wonder if he’ll get some of that humanity back in the end? I feel like he probably will.

Yes, most villains in Gintama get at least partial redemption, but one that I can never see myself ever forgiving is NobuNobu. I will always view him as the bastard that caused Shigeshige’s death. :(
May 26, 2018 7:39 PM

Jul 2013
I still don't fully understand the whole Shoyo / Utsuro phenomenon. If Utsuro's immortal and he's a fucking heartless killer then why the sudden 180 and start a school to teach kids?
May 19, 2019 2:16 PM

Apr 2012
Warrior3 said:
Kinda boring episode tbh.
Yeah. Oboro's backstory isn't bad but felt like an afterthought, and his death seems quite pointless, more like getting rid of a character at this point.
Jun 24, 2019 10:06 AM

May 2015
Yeee oboro is dead. Finally.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 26, 2019 1:07 PM
Apr 2018
I still don't quite understand Utsuro / Shoyo. If he's supposedly originated on earth and has led the tendoshu for 500 years, how did he do it since the Amanto only arrived 20 years ago? And the whole split personality thing doesn't make sense. He goes from this nice guy who doesn't want to kill to a cold blooded murderer for no apparent reason. And his goal of dying makes zero sense. Just fling yourself into a black hole instead of whatever convoluted bullshit you came up with.
Sep 26, 2019 1:08 PM
Apr 2018
PrimeX said:
I still don't fully understand the whole Shoyo / Utsuro phenomenon. If Utsuro's immortal and he's a fucking heartless killer then why the sudden 180 and start a school to teach kids?

And let's not forget that he's supposedly been around for 500 years as the leader of the Tendoshu yet the Amanto only showed up 20 years ago
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anyone could explain ep 12 i couldnt able to understand whats happening?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Feb 15

6 by seelenfresser51 »»
Feb 17, 2:10 PM

» Katsura loves ikumatsu ?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Feb 16

4 by Tsuna10vongola »»
Feb 16, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Jan 22, 2017

109 by otakuweek »»
Jan 11, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Mar 26, 2017

187 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 1, 2023 3:07 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Stray - Mar 12, 2017

105 by Alex_TheForest »»
Jul 27, 2023 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.