Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 29, 2016 8:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cool, an episode focusing more on Shuuichi Natori. His character is explored a bit both as a normal person and exorcist. Quite an interesting story about his character considering how much his life has changed.

Pacing remains good for the show. I think they are adapting them episodes at per 2 chapters.
Nov 29, 2016 9:03 AM

Nov 2007
Ishida-san's character when discovering exorcism thanks to a man similar to him, and meeting Suwabe-san's character for the first time.

Ishida-san's character's first exorcism w. Suwabe-san's character (was that his first time as well?), and Shiki who introduced him to the exorcist world feels lonely without his master.

Very small youkai next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 29, 2016 10:31 AM

Apr 2010
This was something nice too see Natsume wasn't the only one having a hard time.
And despite Natori's personality he still seemed to be popular with the girls judging from what happened in the class.
Nov 29, 2016 12:58 PM

Mar 2013
a natori focused episode was actually really good and seeing just what made him want to be an exorcist and what he was like before an exorcist was indeed really good to watch. I have to say I wouldn't mind seeing more episodes that focus on other characters, me personally I would love to see an episode completely focusing on reiko mainly an episode where reiko actually kept her promise to a youkai.
Nov 29, 2016 1:07 PM

Sep 2015
I don't really like Natori in this series but his past was interesting to watch, his character development was maybe a little too short
Nov 29, 2016 1:12 PM
Nov 2013
It was good to variation to see more from Natori´s perspective to deal with youkais.
Plus, I was so happy to see Matoba again (=^_^=)
Nov 29, 2016 2:27 PM

May 2013
Judging from the art and animation it feels like the staff is taking a breather on one half of the episodes and focuses more on another. Although it's understandable considering their really tight schedule. But this episode looked nice in my opinion.

Anyways, I enjoyed seeing Natori's past animated, on par with manga, which I've reread recently. Liked this shot.

Matoba is so awesome without an eyepatch. Some variety is nice from time to time.
Not changing this signature until P.A. Works announces 2nd season of Shirobako.
Nov 29, 2016 3:01 PM

Aug 2016
I enjoyed this episode of Natori's past, I feel like I kind of like him more and relate to him a bit more. He's actually a really interesting character and seeing how his relationship with Matoba started.

My question though personally is what colour kimono Natsume could see it in as he's probably has stronger spiritual powers than Matoba, doubt we'd ever get an answer for that.
Nov 29, 2016 3:28 PM

Nov 2007
One (two) of my fave chapters...little backstory for Natori and Matoba~ I think their relationship is very interesting.
Nov 29, 2016 3:37 PM

Sep 2015
Already episode 8. The realisation of the near end of this season hit me hard.
Great episode nonetheless. Still don't like Matoba. Will choose Natori over him any day.

Nov 29, 2016 4:12 PM
Feb 2015
good to see more background on Natori, really like him as a character
Nov 29, 2016 7:33 PM

Aug 2015
I was always disappointed that they never showed Natori's past. I'm glad they finally have now.
Nov 29, 2016 10:39 PM

Dec 2012
Interesting flashback. Nice to know more about Natori & Matoba.
Those two make a fun combo.

Natori & Natsume faced similar challenges.

Cool to see how he became an exorcist.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 29, 2016 11:44 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice flashback to Shuuichi life!!! :)
Nov 30, 2016 4:22 AM
Sep 2015
I was never interested in Natori at all ever since I started Natsume Yuujinchou but this episode is so interesting making Natori not a bad character when comparing to Nastume.

This episode is quite interesting focusing on only how Natori becomes an exorcist, his hard work and self thought really paid off, the only difference is that he had no friends unlike Nastume.

I feel so sorry for Natori having a having who doesn't understand his son at all and only cares about the good will and image of the family. Plus poor Natori always getting blamed on for anything bad that happens to his family. Really loved this episode looking forward to next week's episode. somehow I really miss Natsume.
Nov 30, 2016 6:35 AM

Apr 2015
Hmm this is episode is a little bit interesting, but I don't think this flashback is really necessary.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Nov 30, 2016 8:03 AM

Jun 2013
Now I really want to know that how Natsume would see that kimono.
Nov 30, 2016 8:13 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
And thus Matoba took all the credit. Not that I think of him as a bad person. The backstory was pretty interesting.

So Natori wants to protect his loved ones while also being righteous in heart, like Natsume too.

Nov 30, 2016 8:18 AM

Aug 2010
Ah, it was so interesting to see Natori's past! Matoba and him were so cute when they were younger.
Really liked some of the OST's tracks played this episode <:

Can't wait for next episode, I loved that chapter in the manga <3
Nov 30, 2016 9:08 AM

Apr 2016
Ah, so much cuteness, I could die! :D
They do remind me of Izaya, Shizuo from Durarara as well.

First off, I'm so glad they adapted this chapter, gives us more insight on Natori and Matoba, how each of them started on their own paths, why they think the way they think, and also, their attitude towards Natsume.

I think it's kind of cute how Natori shares the same style as his mentor( glasses and the hat).
(?)

The voice acting was nice for the high school versions of our exorcists.
But, everytime Natori said something in a serious tone, I couldn't help but laugh because I keep remembering Katsura(same VA, anime - Gintama)scenes.

The kimono: I am just waiting for Natsume to go to one of the meetings so that we can see what he sees, but then again, don't know how many years it will be to see it in anime as it has not been shown in the manga yet.

OST: New track while Natori says goodbye to his mentor was nice.

Backgrounds: Amazing backgrounds just as seen throughout this season. :) I especially liked the park scenes. The statues in the background in Natsume Yuujinchou add greatly to the atmosphere of the show.

Oh, and seeing that last scene animated made my day! Seiji trying to look at the world through Natori's glasses :)

Loved this episode!
SolitaryGrayNov 30, 2016 9:27 AM
Nov 30, 2016 9:20 AM

Jul 2014
Hmm, a different focus this week makes for a pretty interesting episode, as we've not had much about Natori's past, and it's interesting to see how he was similar to Natsume at that age as well as the initial meetings with Matoba.
Nov 30, 2016 9:38 AM

Feb 2012
Sometimes you need to focus on a different character to explain their motives and feelings behind a big decision.
This was that episode. I am glad they changed the pacing around from the manga concerning that decision and showed this first.
Nov 30, 2016 12:03 PM

Sep 2010
What a great episode! Nicely handled animation, awesome back story, nice character relationship among Natori and Matoba. I just thought about Shizuo and Izaya while watching the duo; like this was an alternative setting for their characters :))

It is sad that we only have 5 episodes left. :(
Nov 30, 2016 12:22 PM

Jun 2013
that was really good episode Natori's back story
Nov 30, 2016 4:08 PM

Mar 2016
I liked seeing a bit of Natori's backstory :) I want more!
Nov 30, 2016 5:19 PM
Jul 2013
Really liked this episode.

It was nice getting an insight on Natori. I used to wonder exactly what type of person he is and it makes sense now.

I hope we get insights on other characters as well like Matoba. I would love to know his motives and what he's thinking. And he looks really good when he's younger (looks good when he;s older too).

I's also like to know how Natsume sees the kimono. I think in some of the manga covers he's wearing it and it's red with golden lining and flowers. So he's probably stronger than Matoba.

I missed Natsume too, I'm glad he's back next episode (though he was only missing for 1 ep lol).
Dec 1, 2016 9:26 AM

Mar 2016
MelodyElodie said:
I enjoyed this episode of Natori's past, I feel like I kind of like him more and relate to him a bit more. He's actually a really interesting character and seeing how his relationship with Matoba started.

My question though personally is what colour kimono Natsume could see it in as he's probably has stronger spiritual powers than Matoba, doubt we'd ever get an answer for that.

I suspect Natsume could see the full color kimono, with the pattern. He is one of the most powerful characters in the series.
-- Rich
Dec 2, 2016 5:58 PM

May 2014
This episode is exactly what we can expect about Natsume Yuujinchou. I loved it, Natori is one of the characters that should appear more times and his past is kinda of sad too, he was confused about youkai just as Takashi was, so this is a good point. I couldn't forget to say that I loved the colors...
Dec 3, 2016 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode! Natori Shuuichi is my favorite character. I felt I could relate with his backstory quite a bit, and how he reasons things in his mind. It's interesting how he felt sick because his life seemed to be at a dismay. And questioned it was a sign to get his life back on track by doing the right thing (Caring for people around him). It's a life lesson to be learned, for sure! Even I find in my darkest moments, when I feel downright antisocial, the Universe around me never quite feels friendly to me.

Overall nothing short of a great season!
Dec 3, 2016 11:50 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
r0kus said:
MelodyElodie said:

I suspect Natsume could see the full color kimono, with the pattern. He is one of the most powerful characters in the series.

Indeed. As comparison, Natsume's RAW spiritual power is likely at least a few times stronger than even the strongest exorcist shown in the series so far (like Matoba). Natsume is shown to be able to hurt youkai without any spells or technique just by punching them. What Natsume lacks is spell knowledge, training and techniques. In other words, he is relatively weak compared to the stronger exorcists and only possesses spiritual brute force.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 4, 2016 9:18 AM

Jul 2015
Another great episode. Matoba and Natori for this episode. Matoba actually is similar like izaya. Natori and Matoba really look like Shizuo and Izaya though
Dec 4, 2016 5:27 PM

Oct 2013
Just imagine what natsume sees in that kimono, I'd be a nice touch for them to get back on that subletly by the end of the series.
Dec 5, 2016 3:37 AM

Dec 2012
LOVED this episode!!! huhu Natori was such a cute teenager. Loved seeing him have all those emotions and expressions. I guess he wasn't always so cool calm and chic hahaha Its adorable.

Poor Natori, he's just like Natsume in his teens. No wonder he's so drawn to him. He gets it and he doesn't want it to be as hard for Natsume as it was for him. That and the fact that they had the same ideals at the beginning when it comes to this world they live in. Man I loved this episode a lot!! Helped me understand Natori a whole lot more. Can't wait to find out more about that lizard and to see how things further develop with his relationship with Natsume.

As for Natsume, he will probably see gold chrysanthemums on that kimono! I'm sure of it. With such revelations and even more questions I feel like we have a very long way to go with Natsume's story-that is definitely never ever gonna be a bad thing. I am seriously about to just go dive back into the manga!! So curious I can't wait for episodes
hahaha Naru, also how I felt when I learned how to read all my Kana. Barakamon is everything!!:'D

Dec 5, 2016 11:44 AM

Jun 2008
Young Natori and young Matoba :D So cute!
I might ship them now XD lol
Dec 20, 2016 11:27 PM

Jun 2015
Natori-san background story!! ^_^

I wonder how did Natori meet Hiragi
Dec 25, 2016 2:51 PM

Jan 2013
What percentage of the population can see Yokai? It doesn't seem that uncommon.
Also I wonder if Natsume could see the patterns on the red cloth?
Dec 27, 2016 8:43 PM

May 2012
Nice focus shift! Quite liked the different pacing in this episode as well. Let's see what's next.
Jan 4, 2017 10:31 PM

Oct 2012
Awww, Natori have so many hardship and sadness in him
I guess he's glad he met Natsume

I don't really know about Seiji, he seems like a power-seeking & arrogant person
But probably he's not like that

I'm more and more looking forward for deep story of this anime xD
"Signature removed"
Jan 7, 2017 10:31 PM

Mar 2015
Wow an episod with zero Natsume in it

I always had the impression that Shuuichi knew what he was doing and was more experienced in the world of yokai than Natsume was but its nice to see that he has things to learn too
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 11, 2017 3:12 PM

Nov 2007
It's nice to see izaya and shizuo's past
Jan 22, 2017 6:25 AM
Jan 2017
wow, when I watching this episode, I'm suddenly thinking, when Natsume see the kimono (the one Natori saw with Seiji and Takuma-san) what color will Natsume seen? Dark red, or maybe with flower motif in the kimono?
Mar 12, 2017 8:41 AM

Nov 2007
i love this episode! :) Natori~san, sukiiiiii! <3
its good to know his history and also with Matoba Seiji. <3
10/10
Apr 22, 2017 6:27 PM

Jan 2012
nice some backstory from time to time

Apr 26, 2017 10:13 PM

Jun 2015
That last scene was fantastic. Young Matoba seemed pretty cool.
:)
May 28, 2017 1:53 AM

Mar 2012
Woah, didn't expect to see more of Natori's past. For some reason I kept thinking of Shizuo and Izaya whenever they showed young Natori and Matoba talking to each other xD
Jun 8, 2017 6:42 AM

Nov 2011
An episode I did not expect to see. This full immersion in the past of Natori is really a touch, because it makes us better acquainted with its character, its inclinations, and shine on this anime series. I hope to know in the future even more than Natori's past. Interestingly, the fact that this episode, reconnect with the character known earlier. Beautiful atmsfere and well-drawn backgrounds and the rest.
Jun 26, 2017 12:00 AM
Feb 2011
I love this episode so much! I don't really care for Natori but I'm a sucker for episodes on the past like this - I like to see what characters used to be like and what have they experienced before becoming who they were. I think this episode gives me more respect for Natori. I wish they do the same for Matoba and Natsume's grandfather.
Apr 6, 2018 11:26 AM

Feb 2013
It's a pity Matoba is such a cold hearted guy, they could have been good friends.
Dec 29, 2018 5:06 AM

Feb 2014
Didn't care for this episode one bit.
Aug 18, 2019 6:01 PM

Sep 2018
I really like Natori! I want to know more of his past!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2016

89 by shippidge »»
Mar 17, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2016

134 by Meritas »»
Jan 2, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2016

152 by Meritas »»
Sep 29, 2023 7:54 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2016

68 by Cieling_phan »»
Jul 19, 2023 1:30 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2016

60 by Nurularifin »»
May 23, 2022 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.