Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 26, 2016 8:11 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So the girls are still practicing hard, even Kumiko is getting on the right track. Mizore seems to have quite a bit of talent as well.

Still whenever Yuuko gets involved in the story, it feels like drama picks up. No doubt though, she just wants the best for her friend so she doesn't feel scared or so alone. The feels of this episode ;_;
Stark700Oct 26, 2016 8:18 AM
Oct 26, 2016 8:44 AM

Nov 2007
Still whenever Yuuko gets involved in the story, it feels like drama picks up. No doubt though, she just wants the best for her friend so she doesn't feel scared or so alone.

I am so glad that the Mizore-Nozomi conflict has been resolved. Mizore felt left out. Because Nozomi probably meant the world to her. Nozomi might have had many others for herself but for Mizore, Nozomi was the only one. That's why when she heard Nozomi quit the club from the third years back then, instead of Nozomi herself, suddenly her world crumbled down. Mizore's self resentment is understandable as she couldn't bring herself to face Nozomi. As for Nozomi, of course she couldn't bring to say her quitting the club seeing how dedicated Mizore was with her practices when others played around doing nothing. The things led to this awkward situation makes me think how fragile human relationship can be. Just a misunderstanding may lead to a complete collapse.

But the star of this episode was Yuuko. When she started crying after Mizore mentioned that Nozomi was the only one for her, where did it put Yuuko and her affection for Mizore. I am so glad that she forced her way into Mizore's sheltered heart. All the time she spent with Mizore, practicing for the competition, going to the competition and even winning it together meant so much to her so it really broke her heart when Mizore mentioned Nozomi being the only one for her.

Coming back to Reina and Kumiko, the best revelation of the episode was Reina plays for herself. I think this needed to be addressed to bring a curtain to the notion that she plays for Taki-sensei. It uplifts her standing as a musician.

As for Asuka-senpai, she is almost at the verge of letting all her pent up emotions out as she continues to show Kumiko the expressions that she hides from everyone else.

Btw, for now we know for sure they are neither going to be the opening act or the closing act. They will perform in position sixteenth, which will help ease their nerves in the Kansai competition.

Outstanding episode. 5/5

Stark700 said:
The feels of this episode ;_;

Yeah.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 26, 2016 9:48 AM

Sep 2010
I'm glad Mizore and Nozomi made up with each other.

Yuuko experienced character development too.

It looks like Asuka may become the focus next episode.

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Oct 26, 2016 9:59 AM

Feb 2016
That was another great episode.
Happy that Nozomi and Mizore finally made up and i dont really hate Yuko as much as i did before.
I have a feeling Asuka is going to be part of something big coming up especially with that ending.

Oct 26, 2016 10:01 AM

Sep 2015
Aaah Nice! This school drama finally ended and it ended well for everyone
Luckily they managed to be the 16th group, it would have been "too much" in my opinion if they got the first or the last place
Oct 26, 2016 10:01 AM

Aug 2013
Another great episode. 23 minutes passed like a few seconds. 5/5.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 26, 2016 10:08 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Great scenes with Mizore/Nozomi/Yuko/Kumiko. That was well directed and pretty emotional.
Oct 26, 2016 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
Mizore and Nozomi finally made up with each other!
Oct 26, 2016 10:14 AM

Jan 2013
Kumiko is barely a MC anymore :/
I really hate this season, it feels like a totally different anime.
Oct 26, 2016 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
The scene with Mizore telling her feelings and then reconciling with Nozomi almost made me cry... >__<
and Mizore is so cute when she smiles!
I'd say this is my favorite episode so far.
Oct 26, 2016 10:20 AM

Sep 2014
A very melodramatic episode, and KyoAni's graceful execution sells it. From a narrative perspective, the resolution felt a bit too forced to me, but the episode itself was very good.
NeromonOct 26, 2016 4:39 PM
Oct 26, 2016 10:25 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again, Fairly drama heavy but it was well done.

Mizore plays simply because she feels that the ensemble was her only connection to her only close friend Nozomi, I guess that's kind of a weird reason but for a person who had no friends I suppose that's not completely out of order.

I didn't like Yuko all that much in the first season but after the recent episodes, I'm liking her a lot more.
Heartfelt emotions coming out from Mizore, Nozomi and Yuko. Really liked the part with Nozomi giving Yuko her instrument and telling her that she wants to listen to Mizore play.

Asuka definitely is quite cynical. xD

Surprisingly out of everything, My favorite part of the episode was Kumiko asking Reina if she played the trumpet for someone else and Reina's reply that she plays for herself. I think that one line captured her personality excellently. I don't know, I guess I kind of relate strongly to the whole 'Do it cause you want to/Do it for yourself' mindset Reina has. Maybe that's why I love her character a lot. xD
Well, It looks like Kumiko thought the same thing when she said that Reina's reply was very Reina like. Thought that was kind of a sweet way to end the episode. :)
Oct 26, 2016 10:29 AM

Sep 2014
CondemneDio said:

I have no idea what you're on about. Euphonium has always been an ensemble story, told through Kumiko's perspective. I'd say she's actually being more active this season.
Oct 26, 2016 10:31 AM

Feb 2016
CondemneDio said:

Your basically saying dont give anyone else but the MC character development.
The reason why this is soo good is because it focuses on everyone not just the MC and kumiko is still clearly seen the most every episode so idk what your on about.
Dont like character development drop it cause trust me this season is going be very focused on the side characters especially Asuka in the later episodes.

Oct 26, 2016 10:36 AM

Dec 2012
Oh man and I was so curious about that whole mystery of the seconds years that left the club and Mizore/Nozomi's melodrama and shit,they built such a thrilling atmosphere around this potential tragic past of the club and then boom- it's yet again that "hurr I'm a loner with no friends and that scatter brain of friend I had left me durr" cliche that could've been solved if they JUST TALKED like they did this damn episode. Really now,was Kumiko's presence so important that they can talk and clear everything out?
I can't believe I expected something more heavy or serious. The visuals are fantastic and all but the actual story became a let down, it can't be compared to s1.
Oct 26, 2016 10:43 AM

Nov 2011
While it's great this conflict is resolved I hate HATE the fact that Mizore ended up apologizing in the end...FUCK THAT!

Nozomi is 100% in the wrong. She still should have told Mizore "yo I'm quitting." Instead her train of thought was "I didn't want you to quit with me because I know how much you like it."

Well Maybe Nozomi if you did tell Mizore you were quitting she could have opened up to you more and maybe CONVINCE you to keep playing, instead of her developing more Social problems as a result of you leaving. BUT OH NO she still ends up fucking apologizing for avoiding YOU because she didn't know how you would feel. Meanwhile you SELFISHLY want back into the band. ASUKA was 100% right not to let you back in and you still had the audacity to approach Mizore with only a few days left until the Competition.

Rant about Nozomi being worst girl over.

Please more Asuka, and please more Reina development with Sapphire and Hazuki.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 26, 2016 10:45 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I enjoy this show, prettiest tv series out there by a country mile, but damn if these characters are not a little bit hypersensitive. All that buildup and drama for this? I was expecting a dark backstory of family feuds, ancient revenge and dark generational resentment.

Then again maybe I don't the sensibility of putting myself in the shoes of a 15 year old Japanese anime (and KyoAni at that) schoolgirl, LOL.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 26, 2016 10:49 AM

Jan 2013
@Neromon @Yourlolm
The show has 4 main characters, with Kumiko being one. I don't think she's done anything but being aloof the whole time, and the other ones get barely any screen time.

If the drama was executed properly, I wouldn't have a hard time giving a shit about the other characters, but as it stands, the show fails as an ensemble cast anime.
Oct 26, 2016 10:50 AM

Jan 2012
Holy fuck...THAT'S it? THAT'S why Nozomi was shunned and suffered so much? Over a stupid, stupid, did I say stupid? misunderstanding? Holy fuck...just...holy fuck. Absolutely garbage-level manufactured drama, and that c*** Asuka actually knew the whole time and was deliberately waiting until after the competition to mend the situation. I...I'm legit stunned. Heartless can't begin to describe her. And she's a fan favorite...somehow. My god, I'm amazed by how much weaker than season 1 this is so far. This actually upset me, which trust me is difficult to accomplish...and to think I actually enjoyed season 1. Sure it had some BS drama, but nothing near as bad as this arc. Thank Christ it appears to be resolved. If I just pretend this season was only 8 or 9 episodes maybe it can still be salvaged.
Oct 26, 2016 11:14 AM

Mar 2013
Finally is the pressure at Mizore out (where I'm damn happy for her!), and the case is now at all parties cleared, where then they can on the contest with full steam and spirit focus.

Asuka: I feel that at her the mask on her getting looser, and soon her true nature show will... - But I'm good prepared for...xD

And as last: I wonder me, what the reason was the argument between Kumiko's big sister and her father... - Probably she wanna the university quit or the like? I do hope that Mamiko in one of the upcoming eps finally a full screen time gets...
Oct 26, 2016 11:19 AM

May 2010
Kumiko sticking her into everyone's business (tho to be prices, ts her nose which is getting stuck into the business and she can't help but be dragged by it lol. That's why I love her)
And need I say how good her VA is? She's really good at showing how tense Kumiko can get, also how she would sound when nervous.

All Mizore wanted was to talk more with Nozomi and be as special to her as Nozomi is to her. I can sorta relate to some extent.

I don't like Nozomi much. I don't have anything against her, just find her dull. SoraSenpai explains some of what I feel about her. so I am all for Yuuko x Mizore. Yuuko is really passionate for her friends.

Some of the direction this episode felt really heavy for the contents. I am guessing it's the same in the novels? The whole "the incident happened" Usually such monologues are used when something really dark happens. Here it was just heavy drama, so I felt like it was a bit out of place. Or maybe it's Just Kumiko who thought it like that? Maybe Kumiko tends to dramatize things in her head? Now that I think like that, it makes sense. Also she was really surprised when she found out that Mizore plays instrument out of her feelings for someone, to her that concept itself was alien. She doesn't know love feels like.

What a misunderstanding. It felt realistic. Shows how important talking is when it comes to relationship.

Natsuki x Yuuko is even better than Yuuko x Mizore. I am liking how this quartet works.

Asuka is complicated. I like.
Kumiko getting happy 'cause Reina plays for herself. Love how she can relate to her.
TragicRomanceOct 26, 2016 11:22 AM
Oct 26, 2016 11:24 AM

Jan 2016
Ribbon-chan a.k.a Yuko has done a complete 180 from Season 1.

She went from being the most hated character to one of the most loved. If she keeps this up, she'll be a waifu

Oct 26, 2016 11:31 AM

Feb 2016
this was an outstanding Episode 5/5 it flew like magic, and when i noticed i was Hearing the ending... omg this was so intense, the feels hit really strong, gotta protect those smiles from now on!
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 26, 2016 11:33 AM

Jun 2014
4th episode , still no music. this season is crap
Oct 26, 2016 11:38 AM
Nov 2014
We all know Reina is playing for Kumiko ;)
Oct 26, 2016 11:49 AM

Jun 2012
animefan8800 said:
Asuka actually knew the whole time and was deliberately waiting until after the competition to mend the situation. I...I'm legit stunned. Heartless can't begin to describe her. And she's a fan favorite...somehow. .

That's how Asuka is, even with that solo conflict she said "I don't give a damn". She seem to be type of person, who avoid conflict and remains neutral, even if one side is clearly right, i can see it may annoy some people.
Oct 26, 2016 11:52 AM

Aug 2016
I never liked yuko, until this episode. She went from being an annoying fan girl, to someone who actually cared about others. I was excepting mizore and nozomi to hug after they cleared things up (supppper disappointed). Loved this episode, cant wait for next week <3
Oct 26, 2016 11:53 AM

Dec 2014
Well, I didn't care for the first 3 episodes but this one was alright. I'm just glad that it seems like this arc is over and we can finally move on to better things.
Oct 26, 2016 12:17 PM

Feb 2015
"Hey Reina,…Do you play for someone in particular or anything like that?"
"I’ve never thought about that. If I had to choose, I would say for myself."

This is why I like Reina (and Asuka) more than the others. She does things for herself and not other people.

SchwingBonerOct 26, 2016 12:35 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2016 12:39 PM
Jun 2014
Farabeuf said:
I enjoy this show, prettiest tv series out there by a country mile, but damn if these characters are not a little bit hypersensitive. All that buildup and drama for this? I was expecting a dark backstory of family feuds, ancient revenge and dark generational resentment.

Then again maybe I don't the sensibility of putting myself in the shoes of a 15 year old Japanese anime (and KyoAni at that) schoolgirl, LOL.

The drama pair are second years, so they are either 16 or 17. Not 15.
Oct 26, 2016 1:30 PM

Jan 2015
Most enjoyable episode. Finally this arc ended, didn't really like the characters tbh

Hope the next arc will be better
Oct 26, 2016 1:37 PM
Jun 2016
_Hans_ said:
Ribbon-chan a.k.a Yuko has done a complete 180 from Season 1.

She went from being the most hated character to one of the most loved. If she keeps this up, she'll be a waifu

I agree. Season 1 I wanted to reach through the screen and smack her, this episode when she started crying, I did. Don't make me like you Yuko! LOL
Oct 26, 2016 1:45 PM

May 2015
All these feelings in one episode ;__;....

Oct 26, 2016 2:10 PM

Feb 2014
Someone should give Yuko a gold medal. She was one of the most annoying characters I've seen in season 1, but within a few episodes in season 2, she's done one hell of a U-turn and she's now very likeable. =)

Still, the feels were strong as well. Seeing Mizore expose her raw self to Yuko as well as Nozomi helped lift a huge weight off of her shoulders. Thanks to the excellent voice acting, animation, artwork and soundtrack, it made this entire scene very moving and emotional too. =')

Best episode of season 2 so far and I'm looking forward to what this show has in store for us next! =D
Oct 26, 2016 2:10 PM

Jul 2016
What a nice episode. Liked how they started and ended the Mizore arc within 3 eps so they can now focus on Asuka. I didn't really enjoy the back story of Mizore and Nozomi too much since its so cliched and the misunderstanding plot point is hard to accept. Oh well, did have great feels and characters actually developed from it so not complaining too much and it seems the second season keeps the great pacing season 1 had if not better.

Is Kumiko's sister going to get more attention latter on? She definitely has more of a presence than last season.

CondemneDio said:

Not uncommon from Kyoani. Free Eternal Summer and Clannad After Story were completely different from their first seasons due to maturation of the characters leading to a change in tone. Here, the band are entering the next stage of the competition in high spirits, Kumiko and Reina's relationship is being refined, and much of the drama from last season-which was centered on the third years has shifted to the second years- opening a huge pool of ideas and possibilities.
Oct 26, 2016 2:43 PM

Jul 2014
Segneal said:
4th episode , still no music. this season is crap

Thats the worst possible complaint I'v ever heard, there was alot of downtime in Season 1 where nothing musical ever happened, idk what your on about.

If the music is the only reason you like this show, your watching the wrong show.
Oct 26, 2016 3:01 PM

Apr 2010
Well Nozomi's problem was solved in a way.
And the others where relieved as well after some drama.
Tho it seems Kumiko still has something on her head or at least something is about to happen in her home seeing her sister running out like that.
Oct 26, 2016 3:12 PM

Jul 2012
Nice episode! Glad for Mizore and Nozomi, i think it was expected that it would be something rather simple considering Mizore's personality. Well i like Asuka, but this time i feel like she was clearly the one at fault. She probably doesn't care, but i hope there would be some interesting meaning/reason for her talk with Kumiko at the end.
Oct 26, 2016 3:41 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode. Quite a lot of drama this episode.

Good of Yuko to talk some sense into Yoroizuka.

Glad Nozomi & Yoroizuka finally resolved the misunderstanding.
Yuko & Natsuki are hilarious together.

Now to focus on the competition.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 26, 2016 4:00 PM

Aug 2012
Great again !
All that emotions , music durning their make up , camera angles ! everything was glorious
Oct 26, 2016 4:16 PM
May 2015
Man, I thought those scenes were really melodramatic then I understood why Mizore was avoiding Nozomi all this time and I felt for the characters, especially Mizore. As someone who used to be socially inept (in my 1st year of high school), I understood how Mizore felt when she learned that she was just "one of" Nozomi's friends and that whole misunderstanding when Nozomi quit. This is fucking amazing, is what it is. Great conclusion to the arc.

Ugh, Another smile to protect. Goddammit KyoAni, stop making me protect those wonderful smiles.

5/5 Amazing Drama as always KyoAni.
jc9622Oct 26, 2016 5:13 PM

Oct 26, 2016 4:16 PM
Mar 2016
Oh such a wonderful episode *_* I'm really starting to like all the characters in the show, I absolutely love how KyoAni spends so much time developing them ^_^ keep up the good work!
And the feels! Nozomi is very cute and Yuuko has grown on me a lot since the last season)
5/5
Oct 26, 2016 4:39 PM

Nov 2015
So Ribbon-chan can actually be nice IF she stops "Kaori senpai so kawaii moe kyun!" for a minute...

I'm glad we are done with this arc and i hope we will move on something new including some music. I also kinda feel that Kumiko actually did nothing but she was there because she has to be there because she's MC. Still even her expressions alone makes it worthwhile.

If we are focusing on side characters then i'd like to see some attension on Buchou Haruka. And more Asuka of course... Can never have enough best girl.
Oct 26, 2016 4:44 PM

Oct 2012
I don't want to say this wasn't beautiful episode because it was but if others knew why didn't they do anything before? Why to make such drama of it? Also, the way Misore told Kumiko just about everything without much asking felt like.. I dunno, textbook-case reveal of character background? They even started flashback immediately which almost screamed "And now we will show you her big secret.'" And it also felt bit out of character and it broke the mood in that moment.. for a while I saw the scene written on the paper told by an actor rather than a girl in pain. Ofc, that's not to say it wasn't done well in terms of emotions as whole scene was very touching and there were some great details and face gestures. But it was just that one moment that broke the 4th wall for me. The rest of the episode was absolutely great.

Now I really wonder what's the real deal with Mamiko.
Oct 26, 2016 4:45 PM

Jul 2016
BUT I CAN'T UNSEE IT....

Friendzone Forever Award of the Year! goes to......

*drum rolls*

Nakagawa Natsuki and Yoshikawa Yuuko!

The drama is done? Keep dreaming. All this drama came from the quitting of the supposed to be 2nd years now. S1 showed this and until S2, the problem still lingers. Asuka's background still isn't clear. She's taking the neutral side which the viewers see that she doesn't care, she also said at the last that they need to win the competition. Pretty much clear? She's a person who will take any possible way to achieve a goal.
SkyWing0Oct 26, 2016 5:05 PM
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."
Oct 26, 2016 5:04 PM

Jun 2013
Every single frame, voice acting, and the freaking lighting was on point. Love the director and the studio for doing what they do best.
Oct 26, 2016 5:17 PM
May 2015
SchwingBoner said:
"Hey Reina,…Do you play for someone in particular or anything like that?"
"I’ve never thought about that. If I had to choose, I would say for myself."

This is why I like Reina (and Asuka) more than the others. She does things for herself and not other people.

Honestly, I thought she was going to say "Taki-sensei" since you know.....she has a crush with him and shit.

Oct 26, 2016 5:34 PM

Aug 2010
How are people still raving this as a masterpiece? Four whole episodes were spent on internal drama instead of focusing on the music or the competition. This is LL! Sunshine to the next level.
“A grown man does not apologize. It lowers the value of his soul.”
-Araragi Koyomi
Oct 26, 2016 6:16 PM
Oct 2011
ZuzuMiBachi said:
I never liked yuko, until this episode. She went from being an annoying fan girl, to someone who actually cared about others.

She always did cared for others. She is loyal to a fault.
Oct 26, 2016 6:29 PM

Dec 2014
Yuuko is getting a bit better this season. She's got a bit more depth in these past few episodes.

On a side note, found out that the original novels for this are finished. So I think this will cover the rest of the material? Or maybe there's quite a few anime original stuff they added in there. I'm not entirely sure.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.