Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 16, 2016 10:46 PM

Dec 2015
Used to drop things very early but ever since I watched Steins;Gate I know that some anime like to take their time so nowadays I don't drop until I'm way part halfway. I also make it a point not to drop single cour anime. Those are so short watching the entire thing seems like the least I can do.

I think it's OK to drop popular stuff. After all anime is just enjoyment. However I don't really get how you can drop movies.
Aug 16, 2016 10:56 PM

Jun 2011
holysauron said:
Used to drop things very early but ever since I watched Steins;Gate I know that some anime like to take their time so nowadays I don't drop until I'm way part halfway. I also make it a point not to drop single cour anime. Those are so short watching the entire thing seems like the least I can do.

I think it's OK to drop popular stuff. After all anime is just enjoyment. However I don't really get how you can drop movies.
holysauron said:

I know I have dropped hentai... pretty easy to explain that.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 16, 2016 11:12 PM

Dec 2015
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
holysauron said:

holysauron said:

I know I have dropped hentai... pretty easy to explain that.

Yeah, I stay away from that shit so I don't need to explain that ;p
Aug 16, 2016 11:51 PM

Aug 2016
I consider myself a weird masochist who watch all things almost everything until the very end.
It's not that I find anything respectable at all in not dropping,it's just my way of watching stuff but then again I am fairly new to this whole anime world.
Aug 16, 2016 11:58 PM

Feb 2015
I don't drop shows, I finish everything I start, then I can criticize it correctly and better.
Aug 17, 2016 1:22 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
If I don't finish at least the first episode I don't add it

Lucky Star is the only example of this I could think of, though, where the first 10 minutes bored me out of my mind. I usually like that kind of anime, too, but holy shit that was unbearable to sit through.

Aug 17, 2016 1:29 AM

Feb 2016
OmegaOtaku said:
Yeah, I did that for both FMA shows... and I don't feel bad about it one bit. If it's not for you then why go through the effort of watching something you know you're not gonna like, even if you haven't made it past the first episode.
Finally! I thought I was the only one who didn't like either FMA and thought its the most overrated franchise to ever exist after One Piece
Aug 17, 2016 2:43 AM

Nov 2009
Selenium_Thorium said:
I think you should give a series a better chance. "Lucky Star" had a stupid first episode, but it was still great show overall.

No, don't force other people to watch Lucky Star. Those who couldn't watch through the first episode aren't worthy of receiving its greatness.
Lucky Star is not a show for just everyone in the first place.
Aug 17, 2016 3:06 AM

Mar 2016
I put couple of shows to my dropped list. It's been a while so i don't even remember what they were about.
Aug 17, 2016 4:43 AM

Jul 2014
If I watched it while it was airing, or there was a serious dealbreaker/ something vile and disgusting in it, (such as male character getting slapped/ punched by a bitch for no reason) I'll add it even if it's only 1 episode with the appropriate rating.

Otherwise, no
Aug 17, 2016 9:47 AM

Oct 2014
Do you only add anime to your dropped list after you've seen a certain amount?
Everything goes into my MAL that I've watched even if it was just 1 episode. I've never dropped part-way through a first episode or a movie yet but I would add those to my dropped list if it were to happen. I don't have perfect memory and Japanese titles can look alike when you don't understand the words. I don't want to waste my time on a title twice. This is even more true for manga because there is less memory retention for visual static images only vs. animation with sound.

Have you rated any anime in your dropped list that you've seen less than 1/5 of?
Sure. An arbitrary cut-off mark isn't going to stop me from recording what I thought of something. It doesn't matter to me if it gets calculated in the overall MAL rating or not. There are anime I've dropped and left unrated with a note as to why I dropped it ie: Kokoro Connect I was in no mood for tracking switched identities and so dropped it out of annoyance. That's an issue with me not the anime.

Have you ever dropped an anime more than halfway through?
Yes. There is a breaking point for any dropped show; the fact that it occurred later on just means I gave the show a little longer to see if the show improved. I'm not wasting my time if there are 4 or more episodes left to go. If I've managed to get within 3 episodes of completing a bad show then I'll watch the rest just to know how it ended (perhaps skipping slow spots or not paying attention a whole lot in order to "get it out of the way" with the least bother).

Do you even drop anime?
Yes.

What do you think about people who drop anime movies or put popular anime in their dropped list that they haven't seen much of?
Ummm...that's what actually happened. Perhaps the question should be "What do you think of people who don't put popular anime or movies in their dropped list?"

re. a Do Not Watch list
I too wish there was such a category in MAL (that AnimePlanet has). I want to know that if I've read reviews of something and decided not to watch it that having such a list would prevent a possible waste of my time later on. My memory isn't that good to remember every single title I've looked into. Especially if the title art or synopsis is changed by the database staff. Even the 30 secs of clicking into the title's home page and immediately recognizing the title is a waste of time and would be avoided altogether if the title was already flagged.

I maintain such a list in my profile notes but it requires editing my profile to access it and obviously it isn't data linked to my MAL. So far it has 8 titles on it.

I don't like the idea of adding such titles as Dropped with zero episodes watched -- it isn't true and they would also affect your status bars (a minor point but true nonetheless).
8oomerAug 17, 2016 9:59 AM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Aug 17, 2016 10:08 AM

Jan 2011
I only have dropped Naruto Shipdduen. I don't think I'll drop anything else. I'm always a believer of finishing a show you start.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Aug 17, 2016 12:14 PM

May 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
I've also noticed that even single-episode anime like Spirited Away and Wolf Children do have drop counts (both are at about 300) so obviously this must not be too uncommon.

Or movies, as they are alternatively known.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Aug 17, 2016 12:48 PM

Mar 2016
I watched the first ten minutes of both Girlfriend Kari and Fruits Basket and dropped them. It just happens sometimes. Why watch an anime I have little hope for? Most of the time when I'm skeptical during the first episode, I'm skeptical for the entire anime and end up rating it badly, anyway. Might as well drop it sooner rather than later so I can end the suffering.
^Not joking, I suffered 8 whole episodes of Texhnolyze and hated them all.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Aug 17, 2016 1:40 PM

Jul 2015
I dropped To Love Ru, in the 2 episode, i like ecchi but thats too boring for me, ecchi with non-sense, i prefer watch a hentai
Aug 17, 2016 1:47 PM

Mar 2014
On_the_Lam said:
What fucking anime do you watch that are entertaining from their very first 5 minutes what the fuck
Most f my favorites, NGE, TTGL, The Tatami Galaxy, I liked AoT from the beginning as well, S;G had great atmosphere from episode one, but I don't remember if it got thick within the first 5 minutes. anything with great directing is like this. I could tell NGE was going to be good from the first 5 seconds on it's directing alone. Same with anything from Yuasa and Imaishi, though I do think judging on the first 5 minutes is pretty extreme unless it makes it clear from the beginning that it's not your thing which usually only happens to me when I pick things at random anyway.
Aug 17, 2016 2:02 PM
Sep 2015
I limit myself to watch anime from genres that I enjoy the most. If I ever do come across an anime I hate so much that I wanna drop, then I'll give it an Episode to prove its worthiness to me. Afterwards I will decide if it's getting a place on my CW list
YuckydiyuckAug 17, 2016 2:05 PM
Aug 17, 2016 2:07 PM

Apr 2014
I drop anime that i cant deal with anymore because it makes no sense or its mecha

I give anime at least 1 -4 eps to bring me in but if that 1st ep is to unbearable i just stop
Aug 17, 2016 2:27 PM
Aug 2015
merryfistmas said:
On_the_Lam said:
What fucking anime do you watch that are entertaining from their very first 5 minutes what the fuck
Most f my favorites, NGE, TTGL, The Tatami Galaxy, I liked AoT from the beginning as well, S;G had great atmosphere from episode one, but I don't remember if it got thick within the first 5 minutes. anything with great directing is like this. I could tell NGE was going to be good from the first 5 seconds on it's directing alone. Same with anything from Yuasa and Imaishi, though I do think judging on the first 5 minutes is pretty extreme unless it makes it clear from the beginning that it's not your thing which usually only happens to me when I pick things at random anyway.

Evangelion means a lot to me, but not because of its entertainment values. In fact, the first half was a chore to finish since it follows a pattern - each episode there's a new monster (angel) and they defeat it at the end. This is also the reason why I thought the first rebuild film was just "eh".

I hated AoT's first episode when I initially saw it (now it's one of my favorite first episodes of all time), and I don't really know why.
Aug 17, 2016 2:36 PM

Mar 2014
On_the_Lam said:
merryfistmas said:

Evangelion means a lot to me, but not because of its entertainment values. In fact, the first half was a chore to finish since it follows a pattern - each episode there's a new monster (angel) and they defeat it at the end. This is also the reason why I thought the first rebuild film was just "eh".

I hated AoT's first episode when I initially saw it (now it's one of my favorite first episodes of all time), and I don't really know why.
I'm really into art styles, cool transitions, atmosphere, fight directing, and visuals in general, so that's probably why I enjoy some shows from the get go, because those things are presented immediately. Dialogue is also a big thing and usually apparent from episode one, but if you have different priorities, you may not feel the same way.
Aug 17, 2016 3:05 PM
Jul 2018
I probably wouldn't add something to my list that I had dropped after a single episode. Giving up on something after 5 minutes sounds really extreme, I've personally never done it.

It's kind of funny too, because I think AoT starts out really strong. Very solid first couple of episodes, it's only after a while that it kind of just fizzles out...
Aug 17, 2016 5:23 PM

Feb 2014
Of course, if I watched it, it must go somewhere in my list.
Aug 17, 2016 5:29 PM

Jan 2015
no, must finish episode 1/2 or more.

Aug 17, 2016 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
In my definition, dropping something implies that you started it to begin with. Even if you only watched 5 minutes of it. I do drop anime after 1-3 episodes and I also can drop an anime where I mostly saw part of it (ex; trying the first episode and then watching various clip about it.)
Aug 17, 2016 5:50 PM

Mar 2014
My dropped anime usually sit in my on-hold list for a while until I acknowledge that I'm never going to continue them.
Aug 17, 2016 6:18 PM

May 2015
For me personally, I think dropping a series after one episode is stupid. Even more so if you didn't even finish the episode at all.

You're getting the bare minimum of story, character introductions, and setting in the first episode of most shows. How can you judge the show based off of so little content?

Aug 17, 2016 6:30 PM
Aug 2016
Nothing wrong with dropping shows as long as you can pinpoint the reasons you feel necessary to do so. Most people dont know how to do this.
Aug 17, 2016 9:54 PM

Jun 2016
Only 5 minutes? I always force myself to at least watch 5 episodes
Aug 17, 2016 10:04 PM

Aug 2016
I'm surprisingly not one for dropping anime. I tend to stick to new environments and characters rather quickly, and if there's a character I'm fully stuck to I want to see an ending for that character. However, if there's a part of the show that manages to really break my immersion too much, I'll tend to drop it in a heartbeat. I can't really like an anime and find encouragement to watch more of it if I feel like watching it is a chore.

I have friends that look to my MAL profile to see what anime I've watched and compare and contrast anime, so I tend to always have to complete the first episode of any anime before dropping it just to let them know I've seen it.

But yeah, Btooom! was a really hard one for me to get through. I just found it annoying and ugly to look at. I have a few others that I downright almost just closed my browser in response to watching them, but always try to make it through the first episode. Marking a show by dropping it at zero kind of brings a bad tone to any reviewer if they can't even make it past 20-30 minutes of one show.
Aug 18, 2016 3:20 AM

Aug 2009
zombie_pegasus said:
I recently added Attack on Titan to my dropped list after seeing the first 5 minutes and realizing that I wouldn't enjoy it. The reason why I put it there is so people will know that I at least tried it and won't try to recommend it to me. I've also noticed that even single-episode anime like Spirited Away and Wolf Children do have drop counts (both are at about 300) so obviously this must not be too uncommon.

Do you only add anime to your dropped list after you've seen a certain amount? Have you rated any anime in your dropped list that you've seen less than 1/5 of? Have you ever dropped an anime more than halfway through? Do you even drop anime? What do you think about people who drop anime movies or put popular anime in their dropped list that they haven't seen much of?

Well you're kind of ridiculous since you don't at least watch an entire first episode of something before dropping it. Me and my sister watched the first 5/10 mins of AOT and I ended up doing something else so I forgot about it for awhile, but then I kept seeing it on MAL and I remember the fking animation looking bad-a and I really wanted to rewatch the first episode. Then I marathoned the sht out of the last 25 episodes, and now I'm still waiting for the sequel that got pushed another year, so disappointing.

Regarding the topic. I don't use the 3 episode rule, it's silly. I watched a video from Digibro explaining that the premise is by far the least important part of a series and I would agree. I think a series needs a lot for it to be successful/mildly intriguing for me. An amazing opening usually should draw a person in (one like me who at least watches the OP first) and get them to start to get who the characters are and if they can be favorites or just hated characters. I think animation quality is of up most importance, but some people say some stuff looks like crap, and others would just say it's really cool an artistic and doesn't look cookie cutter. Hell, I added this anime to my list JUST BECAUSE the fking animation looks so odd I just had to: http://myanimelist.net/anime/1454/Kemonozume

I kind of went on a rant, anyways, spirited away might be equivalent to a 6 episode anime/OVA, which means a person could of spent 20 minutes trying to get into it but just didn't like it. Anything on my drop list could be there for numerous reasons. I can explain everyone of them.

.hack//Liminality: I used to mindlessly watch anime but at some point I realized I could just drop something. I realized this was just another boring addition to the .hack series which was somewhat enjoyable to me, but this one wasn't.
1+2=Paradise: Borderline hentai, and I didn't really get why I watched it to begin with.
Alien 9: I'm fking afraid of hollywood or any kind of alien. Most of them creep me the fk out. I'm wondering why I watched parasyte and enjoyed it, but that may be because it was of really high quality and was meant to make me grossed out?
Arc the Lad: Boring
Armitage III: Gross
Asura Cryin': Cliche' waste of time, I could just be watching gundam or macross instead of this bull.
Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou: No idea how I got 5 episodes in, but I did, and still didn't see how the action was entertaining to me, it's no samurai champloo or rurouni kenshin. I may of gotten that far into it due to the mere interesting art and the samurai premise
Bastard!!: BLEHHH MAIN CHARACTER, BLEHHH, TOO MUCH SEXUAL REFRENCESSS
Betterman: why was I watching a shtty older show just because the people have multi colored hair?
Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna: yawn
Chocotto Sister: Bad quality, boring.
Code:Breaker: No dynamics I was initially expecting and the main character was absolutely atrocious and the girl pretty flat (as a character).
Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier: Why do I keep picking these kinds of shows up? It's decent but it wasn't getting me going like some of the action these days and the ridiculously big cast wasn't sitting well with me. Also, no romance or anything genuinely human. (Ik they're cyborgs but come on) The episodic way it was handled led me to believe it wasn't worth sitting through.
Dragonaut: The Resonance: I used to watch anime legally on demand on Comcast on demand when they'd post a couple episodes of something. I liked watching it on a bigger TV. This one was crap from episode one. I tried to get into it again after moving it to on hold, still crap.
Elf wo Karu Mono-tachi: This wasn't too bad, but it got put on there because I forgot about it. Maybe it'll be picked up again, the characters are cool.
Free!: I Don't even like sports anime much and this one didn't have ANY swim competitions in the first 6 episodes, and I forgot about watching more. What's the point? It's not even shounen-ai so why watch something with suggestions like that if they're not going to do anything? It's annoying.
Hataraki Man: Boring
HeatGuy J: boring
Itsudatte My Santa!: Initially dropped because I couldn't find episode two in english dubbed but now I realize it just sucked too.
Jigoku Sensei Nube: I have got to stop picking up old episodic shows.
Jigoku Shoujo: Idk, I got bored, put it on hold, now I'm not seeing a point to finishing it.

The rest are pretty much like those...

SO I do drop things in the middle a lot, and 3 episodes in, and 2 and 1. But usually not 5 mins in, if that's the case I don't even put it on dropped, I just delete it off my list.
Aug 18, 2016 3:23 AM

Jul 2015
I came close to dropping gakku gurashi because even for a cgdct it was dumb. But the last couple minutes changed my mind.
Aug 18, 2016 3:26 AM

Feb 2015
nah....if i don't like it from the first time i have seen it, then i will not put it in my drop list thus why my dropped list is almost empty.
Aug 18, 2016 3:42 AM
Feb 2011
There are a few anime I've dropped after seeing like half, if not less, of the 1st episode. Those are the times when I don't feel like torturing myself with watching garbage or something simply with a theme that is of absolutely no interest to me and will bore me. I do add them to the drop list.
And though I don't bother with rating anime anymore, when I did rate it, I only did it with the ones I completed, and not the ones on the dropped/on-hold list.
Aug 18, 2016 3:51 AM

Dec 2015
I try to add only if I have at least one episode. There might be some exceptions where I have only watched one half of the first episode and then dropped and added it with 1/x but I usually don't like that. It gives me wrong stats (too migh amount of time that affects time/days count) and I prefer too low instead of too high.

Seen less than 0.5 episodes and I never add it. For 1 I always add. Between 0.5 and 1 I might round up to 1 and add.

And I always try to score the stuff I add. I have older stuff or hentai that I watched years ago (before making my list) where I don't really know/unsure which score to give.

But for the latest newer stuff (I mainly watch airing anime) I can score already. That's what I do while watching airing anime. (Here I usually wait until 2-4 episodes are released ... earlier scoring at 1 episode only if dropping.)

This can be seen as temporary score/first impression (also I don't change this every episode only if it constantly gets worse/better).

For dropped anime this was the first impression after episode 1. Usually from 1-6 or sometimes 7 (if there are too many other 7-10 in my watch list already and I don't have time to also watch the dropped anime).
Aug 18, 2016 5:25 AM

Sep 2015
There are Anime that I've dropped, but I haven't put them on my list. Usually I don't drop an Anime until I've finished at least one episode. However, if I have dropped an anime before finishing it, it must mean that I really disliked it.
"Every day that you spent searching for the womb of your rebirth.
Preserving every sacred organ just to show her what she's worth.

Exhaling all of the darkness dissipates
Beauty personifies, dead dreams animate.

Defeated from the moment she came.

Now we're sound and safe, you're the one I'll follow.
Locked hands til our old age, and never letting go."

Aug 18, 2016 5:31 AM
May 2016
I usually watch two or three episodesbefore dropping some series.If i didnt finish even the first ep i dont add it in my list
Aug 18, 2016 6:37 AM

Oct 2015
I have dropped a lot of anime and there isn't a specific number of episodes I watch before dropping it or any criteria for doing so. I have dropped some anime right after hearing the opening and others at halfway through the last episode
Aug 18, 2016 6:43 AM

Dec 2013
I don't add any dropped anime before watching at least 6 episode. If i add dropped anime after watching 3-4 episode then my dropped anime would be thrice.
Aug 18, 2016 6:53 AM

Nov 2009
Nvortex said:
My dropped anime usually sit in my on-hold list for a while until I acknowledge that I'm never going to continue them.

It's often similar for me. I plan to continue watching or watch some time later a lot of anime, but sometimes I look into that list and acknowledge that I would never do it.
But many other anime went straight into drop list.

Vocalacao said:
I dropped To Love Ru, in the 2 episode, i like ecchi but thats too boring for me, ecchi with non-sense, i prefer watch a hentai

The first season of To Love Ru is of very variable quality in my experience. One episode is funny, the other is kinda boring and uninspiring...
Aug 18, 2016 6:58 AM
Jul 2012
I used to drop clannad during the first 5 mins or so, when it went from emo monologue to weird kid with huge eyes is a perfect waifu to super exaggerated comedy about the blond guy getting chased by 1000 guys at once, I was like there's no way this is good

Shoulda still dropped it tbh, even AS wasnt worth it
Aug 18, 2016 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
At first I thought this thread was titled "Dropped Re:Zero".
I rarely drop anime and I might give Shirokuma Cafe a chance later. However, Dagashi Kashi will remain in my dropped list unless I feel like giving it a chance.
I'm quite amazed that you dropped an anime in 5 minutes.
Aug 18, 2016 8:22 AM

Apr 2015
I watch a few episodes before dropping the show. Sometimes, they get better after a slow start.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2016 8:44 AM

Apr 2015
When I drop I at least watch half of it and then fast forward through the other half

If no hope is found I drop and then I count the episode as watched
Aug 18, 2016 9:41 AM

Mar 2016
I dropped Re:Zero after few episodes and started to watch it again till 18... I couldn't stand some characters...
Aug 18, 2016 9:53 AM

Oct 2014
I often find myself adding shows to my Dropped-List after watching (less than) an episode. I see no problem in doing that tbh
Aug 18, 2016 10:57 AM

Feb 2014
Yeah. I force myself through at least one whole episode before dropping. The ones with no eps are for ones that I've forgotten how many ep I've watched because it was way before I got a MAL account and I don't care enough to check wiki episode lists or something.

Have you rated any anime in your dropped list that you've seen less than 1/5 of?
ofc. I rate by cumulatively by the episode.

Yup. There are more in my completed list that I wish I had dropped at over half-way rather than powering through hoping it gets better... shit like Akuma no Riddle was so not worth finishing.

Do you even drop anime?
yh yh

What do you think about people who drop anime movies or put popular anime in their dropped list that they haven't seen much of?
Eh. Each to their own. I do object to people rating things they haven't seen any of purely based on heresay/edge-points/popular opinions, like, that's just sad.
Aug 18, 2016 11:25 AM

Jul 2015
Do you even drop anime?

yeah

I will add it if I atleast watched a full episode.

Yep

Log Horizon (16/25), ChäoS;HEAd and Bungou Stray Dogs (7/12)

And exactly in the middle point, Macross Delta (13/26), Qualidea Code, Dimension W and Valkiria Drive Mermaid (6/12)

They are cool, I would drop a lot of popular anime but instead I just put them in a permanent on hold list just to evade critizism, I already suffer enough from people saying how I dare to only rate 5 Haikyuu lol
Aug 18, 2016 11:34 AM

Jan 2008
You're technically wrong. You can't drop something you haven't really started, and you can't say you've started something untill you've at least seen one episode. It would be like me going to a boxing class, stopping after one class and telling everyone I gave up boxing. It's not technically wrong, not technically right, but it is stupid.
Aug 18, 2016 10:03 PM

Jul 2016
Trying to trigger the AoT fans eh? jk lol

I have no problem with dropping an anime after 2-3 episodes, but 1 episode or less? that's just being impatient and not giving the anime any chance to show what it has in store for you.

Unless it is generally agreed that it's a shit anime, but in that case why are you even watching it?

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Apr 16, 2023 8:19 AM
Mar 2023
Does anyone add anime to their list as anything but dropped and it shows as dropped for no reason instead?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ?

Yonahim_Zz - 12 hours ago

29 by Yonahim_Zz »»
2 minutes ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ?

Yonahim_Zz - 2 hours ago

13 by Yonahim_Zz »»
5 minutes ago

» which anime character resonates with you the most? to be specific, who's your "literally me" anime character?

FruitPunchBaka - 30 minutes ago

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
7 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 )

707supremacist - May 5

110 by meyve »»
31 minutes ago

» Character Parallels (with opposite ideologies)

aayush_m_1 - 2 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.