Forum Settings
Forums

Raising/Lowering a score because of the final episode

New
Aug 4, 2016 10:20 AM

Dec 2015
I'm sure most of us have found ourselves raising or lowering a score because of the final episode.

I raised both Blood-C and Katanagatri from a 5 to a 6 based purely on how awesome the last episodes were.

I lowered Gansta from a 5 to a 4 based on how awful the final episode was.

But anyway, which anime did you change the score of based on the final episode and why?
(you see that mods? "why" totally not a simple listing thread).

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 4, 2016 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
Nah, I judge the whole, not the final episode. Arkada would agree with you though.
Aug 4, 2016 10:24 AM

Dec 2015
Lord_Sithis said:
Nah, I judge the whole, not the final episode. Arkada would agree with you though.

Which is weird, because I frequently disagree with Arkada.
Aug 4, 2016 10:24 AM

Nov 2012
the last episode rarely has an effect on how i rate the show, my opinion on it is pretty much set in stone at that point.
Aug 4, 2016 10:26 AM

Sep 2014
Done that multiple times. Ending is a crucial part of the show. If it doesn't deliver, lowering the score is only natural.
Aug 4, 2016 10:30 AM

May 2016
The last episode of Koutetsujou no Kabaneri was okay, so I gave it a 3 instead of 2.

Not counting The End of Eva movie, which I love, the show itself got a 5 and not 6, because of how bad the last two eps were (fucking gibberish).

Clannad: After Story got a 3, because of its ending... That and The Endless Eight are, what I call, The Two Great Anime Failures.
Aug 4, 2016 10:35 AM

Jul 2013
Lord_Sithis said:
Nah, I judge the whole, not the final episode.

the final episode is an important part of the whole tho...
Aug 4, 2016 10:36 AM

Jul 2012
I don't usually, unless it completely shits on me and doesn't tie the loose ends.
Aug 4, 2016 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
Simar said:
Lord_Sithis said:
Nah, I judge the whole, not the final episode.

the final episode is an important part of the whole tho...
It's another episode. If I didn't like the others, I won't like this one. I'm rating an anime, not an episode.
Aug 4, 2016 10:40 AM

Feb 2016
Ive changed a few such as Akame ga kill 10-9 due to the ending and sao 9-7(i think you can guess why)
But ending has got to be somewhat good whatever the anime.

Aug 4, 2016 10:41 AM

Apr 2016
Depends on two things for why it made me lower a score:

1. How bad did the episode combust into a 300mph flaming ball of Trainwreck?
2. How much worse were the last few episodes before it compared to what came before?

Depends on two things for why it made me raise a score:

1. How well did the last episode send off the series and cut loose ends?
2. How much better were the last few episodes before it compared to what came before?

Examples: +
•1: If the last episode of Gundam 00 season 2 was as bad as the last two episodes before it, it would've gotten a 4 instead of a 5, since the finale was only ok while the last two episodes were even worse than the already bad second season.
•2: Serei no Moribito's last few episodes (episode 21 in particular) made me raise it from an 8 to a 9 for being the best episodes in the series.

Examples: -
•1: Kabaneri's final episode was so bad, and far worse than the rest of the series, it dropped from an 8 to a 7. Similar thing with Aldnoah.Zero season 2 dropping from a 7 to a 6 to eventually a 5 due to a final episode being about as terrible as the first one, and was wrong in almost every conceivable way.
•2: Aldnoah.Zero's last 5 episodes got increasingly disconcerting in terms of quality, and the final episode was no exception. Dropped from an 8 to a 7 and eventually a 6.
CodeBlazeFateAug 4, 2016 11:09 AM
Aug 4, 2016 10:52 AM

Dec 2013
Before the final episode of Cowboy Bebop it is 10/10, but after, it becomes 11/10.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Aug 4, 2016 10:53 AM

May 2015
I usually drop score -1 in romance animes if ending is just bad (no kiss, no confession etc.)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 4, 2016 10:53 AM

Oct 2014
The final episode is the climax so it obviously has a huge part in determining what rating an anime gets.
Aug 4, 2016 10:57 AM

Feb 2016
I raised school days from 4 to 5 purely because of the ending.

#burninhellmakoto
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2016 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
The finale makes or breaks the whole season. A rushed ending totally kills the mood whereas a conclusive ending makes me rate it an 8 or 9.
Aug 4, 2016 11:01 AM

Dec 2015
Endings for me play a major part in my rating
It can go from 10 to 3 just for a dissapointing ending alone, especially if its super anticlimax.
Aug 4, 2016 11:02 AM

Jan 2013
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso because of the ending I had to raise it from a 7 to an 8, the message it left behind was pretty good.
The season itself was fun to watch but not as powerful as I expected it to be. (Given the hype it apparently got from so many)
Aug 4, 2016 11:05 AM

Sep 2012
To me last episode always +1 or -1 for score.
Aug 4, 2016 11:10 AM

Nov 2013
Clannad Afterstory. It's a giant middle finger to anyone who cared.
Aug 4, 2016 11:11 AM

Dec 2015
Mangashines said:
I raised school days from 4 to 5 purely because of the ending.

#burninhellmakoto

It raised my score from a 1 to a 2.
Not a great result, but at least it scored 1 bonus point.
Aug 4, 2016 11:12 AM
Aug 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
Lord_Sithis said:

Is it because he thought Watamote was crap?
Aug 4, 2016 11:17 AM

Dec 2015
On_the_Lam said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Well I obviously I disagreed with him on parts of his Watamote review, but I get it, Watamote is not for everyone :p

But he seems to be overly positive about a lot of shitty anime (he actually gave a positive review to The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan which is basically a pointless spin off series that nobody asked for and existed soley to capitalise on Haruhi's success. It was a cheap cash grab and a piece of garbage yet he gives it a positive review?
I also think the amount of emphasis he places on having complete adaptations is nonsense.
Aug 4, 2016 11:24 AM

May 2016
The last two episodes of Akuma no Riddle made me drop it from debating between a 5 or a 6 to debating between a 1 or a 2. Here's why:
"Shocking truth!" ~Chaika Trabant
"How unpleasant." ~Kuriyama Mirai
"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there." ~Rem
"You don't die for your friends; you live for them." ~Misaka Mikoto
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
"I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams."
Signature and forum avatar courtesy of @SenpieX
Aug 4, 2016 11:28 AM

Jul 2015
I dropped 3 points to Chuunibyou Season 2 after the last episode, that whole sequel triggered me so hard.
Aug 4, 2016 11:36 AM

Mar 2016
I don't simply lowering or raising my rate because of the final episode. . .

But it's one of the factors that I give "weight" in every anime. . . Not simply as +1 if i like the ending, and -1 if i don't like it
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Aug 4, 2016 11:38 AM

Dec 2010
To me it's basically every anime ever, because the ending is 1/10th of my score.
Aug 4, 2016 11:38 AM

Nov 2008
BonerBender said:
Yeah, the nothing bad ever happened magical ending of Clannad After Story.

Aug 4, 2016 11:43 AM

Sep 2015
Toradora. Really didn't enjoy how the last 1-2 episodes panned out; it stopped me from giving it a 10/10. I wish the entire thing would have just ended differently. It left me feeling quite disappointed.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Aug 4, 2016 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
In the aftermath I feel like the final episode does help determine a score, but also how well the series was executed in general.

If it sucked and began to lag in the second half when I was honestly hyped for it, it's going down regardless, but if the ending sucks, it'd be likely to decrease by one more point.

My enjoyment is kinda deterred overall by bad pacing and crappy endings. The final episode leaves the lasting impression, of course it has to count for something.
Aug 4, 2016 11:50 AM
Aug 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
On_the_Lam said:

Well I obviously I disagreed with him on parts of his Watamote review, but I get it, Watamote is not for everyone :p

But he seems to be overly positive about a lot of shitty anime (he actually gave a positive review to The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan which is basically a pointless spin off series that nobody asked for and existed soley to capitalise on Haruhi's success. It was a cheap cash grab and a piece of garbage yet he gives it a positive review?
I also think the amount of emphasis he places on having complete adaptations is nonsense.

Yeah, I see what you mean. His 2016 Berserk review also... just no.
Aug 4, 2016 11:58 AM

May 2015
Imaishi said:
Ending is a crucial part of the show. If it doesn't deliver, lowering the score is only natural.
clandestine said:
In the aftermath I feel like the final episode does help determine a score, but also how well the series was executed in general.

If it sucked and began to lag in the second half when I was honestly hyped for it, it's going down regardless, but if the ending sucks, it'd be likely to decrease by one more point.

My enjoyment is kinda deterred overall by bad pacing and crappy endings. The final episode leaves the lasting impression, of course it has to count for something.
This sums up my thought about anime endings.

Examples for endings done wrong (a.k.a f***ed up) was Prince of Stride: Alternative (for that stupid "relation"), Kabaneri of The Iron Fortress (Biba, nuff said), and Tokyo Ghoul (because f*** u Pierrot)

And examples done right includes Ping Pong (starts mediocre, then ends up beautifully), Tatami Galaxy (for matching those "pieces of life" together), and Assassination Classroom (Koro-Sensei Best Teacher 2k16)

For me, it will be a waste of time watching animes that ends up being garbage, just like Akame ga Kill (which the series that I was hyped for, but it turns to be one of my guilty pleaseures) and the one and only true TROLL
CouranosAug 4, 2016 12:06 PM
Aug 4, 2016 11:59 AM

Jul 2014
just that one final episode??? i would give a score as a whole anime....not just that one last final ep.
Aug 4, 2016 1:21 PM

Mar 2015
I just did it with yuyu hakusho, I would give it a 8/10, but the end was so good, and better than the manga, so I gave it 9/10
:)
poticardoAug 4, 2016 5:30 PM
Aug 4, 2016 2:01 PM

Mar 2015
The finale of a show does influence my score sometimes.

Nobunaga the Fool was an anime I looked forward to every week while it was airing. The sheer epicness of the final episode left me with such a sense of fulfillment that I raised the already good score I was planning to give it.
So I raised my appraisal of it from an 8 to a 9.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A was not all that good but the ending was, and I'm not exaggerating here, one of the best I've ever seen. The emotion, the OST, the choreography, I might've shed a tear the many times I replayed it.
So it was raised from a 6 to an 8.

Akuma no Riddle was pretty entertaining for the most part. Then we got that big cop-out of an ending...
So I lowered my score from 7 to 5.

Clannad After Story was hitting all the right buttons. I would've liked the ending more if the show went into more detail about those miracle light orbs. Sadly it didn't and the resulting "Happy End" lowered my score.
So it went from a perfect 10 to a 9.

Show By Rock!! - I LOVE this anime! The only reason I gave it an 8/10 is because the out-of-left-field power-up the MC got at the end was never even foreshadowed... From what I could tell at least.
So I lowered the score from 9 to 8.

Rokka no Yuusha - Loved the setting. Loved the character designs. Hated how the mystery was handled.
So the 8 I wanted to give it became a 7... a really small 7...
Aug 4, 2016 2:06 PM

Jul 2015
everytime a happy ending in a dark anime, it destroy my enjoyement
clannad after story / fmab / steins gate for example

a conclusive ending that suit the theme is a +
code geass and death note for example
Aug 4, 2016 2:10 PM

Dec 2015
school days from 2 to 5 cause final episode was glorious.
also today sakamoto desu ga? went from 6 to 7 due to proper finale
Aug 4, 2016 2:23 PM

Mar 2014
Yes, the ending is probably the most important episode, but it has only happened a few times and only for 1 or 2 cour anime so far.

I didn't like the last 2 episodes of NGE, so that knocked it down a point. Berserk ending was awful, and I didn't really care for Shin Sekai Yori's.

On the other end, Texhnolyze's ending brought it up at least a point, Ping Pong went from a 10/10 to a 11/10 with that beautiful ending, and Expelled from Paradise' ending saved it. Fate Zero's ending was also pretty good for what it had to say about utilitarianism (probably Urobuchi's best at dealing with that theme) but it doesn't quite earn it an extra point.
Aug 4, 2016 2:24 PM

May 2015
As others have said, the ending makes or breaks an anime series. Story-heavy anime usually have the climax at the last episode. The conclusion to the story, whether it is a good or bad one, ultimately determines the series' score to the story as a whole. You can have an awesome start, but if the climax ends up being disappointing, the story becomes a letdown, reducing the overall score for it. If the ending proves satisfying, that may just be enough to raise the score a little...

In Gungrave, the anime felt up and down at times. However, the climax in the final episode was very satisfying and convinced me to give it a higher score.

In Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai, the anime had a really dull and repetitive start. However it began to pick itself up as the episodes progressed. But once it reached its climax in the final episode and the conclusion to the story, I was heavily disappointed, and my planned score for the anime dropped significantly.
Aug 4, 2016 2:40 PM
Jul 2018
It depends on how it ends and how it led to its conclusion but the middle part matters too if they anime wants to do is be episodic then out of nowhere have a plot it will be rated low.

If it's a romance and mc x and mc's love interest don't get together then it's Shit unless there is a solid reason like "Your lie in April"
Aug 4, 2016 2:58 PM

Feb 2016
I never changed the score after the final episode, probably because i rate after i have finished a series or drop it before :D

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Aug 4, 2016 3:06 PM

Apr 2014
yeah, i lowered kabaneri from a 10 to a 9 instead.

others most likely lowered it even more out of frustration.
Aug 4, 2016 3:17 PM

Nov 2013
Potasiumnitrate said:
BonerBender said:

Specimen021 said:
Clannad: After Story got a 3, because of its ending... That and The Endless Eight are, what I call, The Two Great Anime Failures.

If you are willing to take the time and aren't stuck up to your own opinions, Under The Scope's video on the ending of Clannad:After Story does a great job of reconciling its ending.

Link (hopefully it works): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YE_xiK2a3sc

Not going to bother. I don't care if it isn't an asspull, it's a forced happy ending which is just an insult to anyone who actually cares. Nothing mattered. Everything you felt didn't matter.

If there was an extra episode of Berserk where Guts used his rainbow behelit to make everything okay for everyone forever, wouldn't it ruin the entire anime?
Aug 4, 2016 3:22 PM

May 2016
Potasiumnitrate said:
If you are willing to take the time and aren't stuck up to your own opinions, Under The Scope's video on the ending of Clannad:After Story does a great job of reconciling its ending.

I quickly skipped through the video, it's a bit long for what it's trying to say. The ending to After Story was not complicated, that's not the problem, I understood the ending and it was set up way in advance.

The problem is, it throws ALL of the drama out of the window. Drama proceeds to rot covered by snow.
Characters we supposedly lost are, surprise, surprise, alive again.
Which is just perfect, since I absolutely hated them, but everybody who felt genuine sadness has all the right in the world to feel betrayed.

What I care about is, they used the story with the girl and the robot in a dying world, about the only non-gag-inducing part of After Story (minus the Yukine arc), to ruin both itself and the rest of the show. And I was getting ready to praise the damn thing for a surprisingly dark ending too.

I'm not stuck up to my opinion, or, at least, I'm trying not to be, but this time, sorry... Just no.
Aug 4, 2016 3:22 PM

Jul 2014
I don't know about exactly the last episode; but Seven Deadly Sins end was a little too asspully for me so I lowered the score.
Aug 4, 2016 3:30 PM

Sep 2014
I think bob has a pretty good opinion here.

Aug 4, 2016 4:32 PM

Jul 2015
The last episode(s) always has a big effect on me; it's how I remember the show.
An example of a show whose last episode made me increase the show's score was Diebuster; everything came full circle and it felt kind of nostalgic.
An example of a show whose last episode (or episodes) made me decrease the show's score was Erased. Ugh, it was going so well until the end...
Aug 4, 2016 4:54 PM

Nov 2014
If its the end of the story then yes I do judge the final episode since its the episode that ties everything up so if they executed it poorly then its only normal that the show gets a lower score than before(how lonw depends)
Aug 4, 2016 5:17 PM

Aug 2014
Not sure if I've ever raised the score but I have lowered it. If an anime doesn't give any sort of ending at all or where it is clearly leading to more but doesn't go beyond that then I do lower it, because there is no satisfaction to me when the anime just goes "well its episode 13 better just stop". There is no pay off to the experience of the anime at all. Sometimes I lower the score when it's a bad ending, and what I mean by that is an ending that doesn't suit the anime or how it was going. But it would depend on how bad I felt that ending was, to whether I would lower the score or just keep it the same as I was going to score it.
Aug 4, 2016 6:04 PM

Aug 2014
Ending is part of my story rating, so if its a bad conclusion to the series then i lower my story score and thus resulting in lower overall rating, and vice versa.

If I loved/hated the ending very much then I may take a whole of 1 or 2 overall points, but this is only in extreme cases, it happens 1 in 100 or maybe 1000.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

33 by mentalmondai »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 4 hours ago

19 by BitChilly »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

45 by Coaghim »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 9 hours ago

12 by rohan121 »»
9 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

65 by Pinoffin »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.