Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Handa-kun
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 9, 2016 5:31 PM
Jan 2015
@kyoudai, seen your watch schedule. I blush in embarassment. How did you manage to watch that much. Wow. Well, I guess the humor didn't work for me at all, hence, my less than warm reception to it. Since Thunderbolt is not an anime, I am soooo gonna skip it.
samui26Jul 9, 2016 5:37 PM
Jul 9, 2016 5:57 PM

Jul 2015
WELL THAT WAS AN INTERESTING START. Right off the bat, this anime got me laughing. I knew I was going to enjoy this, but I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. Though, it did also seem strange, and now in a good way, like something felt off.

Took nearly half the episode for Handa to actually show up, and then he manage to misunderstand EVERYTHING EVER. HOW CAN ONE PERSON MESS UP SO MUCH IN SUCH A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME. Anyway, a great first episode, and I love the outro.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jul 9, 2016 6:18 PM
Oct 2014
that was a funny episode!!
Liked it
Jul 9, 2016 7:19 PM

May 2015
The breaking the 4th wall at the beginning made me laugh. OP theme is great and the ending theme is pretty catchy.
Jul 10, 2016 12:07 AM

Feb 2014
The beginning was just a waste of time. The rest of it was ok, I wasn't really impressed.
Jul 10, 2016 2:27 AM

Jul 2012
Decided to give it a try cause was reading manga and it was quite good. But the first couple minutes (mb even 1st minute only) made me stop watching the episode and want to drop it immediatly. Skimmed through the episode to give it at least last chance but wasn't impressed at all.
Still holding on Barakamon (and feel like i'm missing a lot as so many people like it), but considering about whether watching or reading (i guess maybe it will be both in the end (one day)).
Jul 10, 2016 2:30 AM
Jul 2018
i didn't expect to like it so much,the whole episode was entertaining
5/5
Jul 10, 2016 3:32 AM

May 2014
I need to go and re-watch Barakamon to get this garbage out of my head.
Jul 10, 2016 3:36 AM

Feb 2016
The beginning was a bit too long, but i loved the show when it started, gave me the Gintama vibe just in a school setting

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jul 10, 2016 5:45 AM

Mar 2016
It's Okay.......
Hoping get more better next episode
Loved OP song

Jul 10, 2016 6:39 AM

Aug 2012
The great Seishuu Handa-sama from Barakamon returns \|  ̄ヘ ̄|/

LOL the Handa Force made an anime about him. Love how they broke the 4th wall and the Handa Wall. Overall this was a very funny first episode, and Handa-kun was so clueless but in a good way not like your typical dense MC. I cracked several times at the love letter part, can't wait for next episode. Truly this is one of the gem for this season (b^ー゚)
Jul 10, 2016 7:19 AM

Oct 2013
They wasted first half with anime original content. It was so lame..

The second half was good though, hopefully they don't break 4th walls again (It wasn't funny). God I miss Naru
Jul 10, 2016 9:40 AM

Jan 2014
First 9 minutes were so bad i fall asleep twice...Rest of the episode was quite good tho...Sakamoto of the season...
Jul 10, 2016 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
The first half was torture. I hope i don't have to see those guys every episode

the second half was pretty sweet.

Maiko or whatever her name is... what a bish
Jul 10, 2016 10:21 AM

Jul 2012
I'm kinda disappointed that Ono Daisuke isn't voicing Handa... and Suwabe isn't voicing his character either... not really a fan of the first half. It was too self aware and none of the characters stood out except for Kakki's (the pretty boy)

Yeah huh. Guess I cant treat this as a spinoff as it was completely different. Its nice by itself but nowhere near good as Barakamon.

On the bright side, Suzuken ED! ♡♡♡
Jul 10, 2016 7:35 PM

Oct 2011
Are those guys going to be friends with him??
Jul 10, 2016 11:29 PM

Nov 2012
Goddamn, they spend one third of the episode with self parody. I wonder if they gonna continue with this format for later episodes.

The OP is over the top and the ED is soothing.
A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Jul 11, 2016 1:35 AM

Oct 2013
Mayuka said:
I'm kinda disappointed that Ono Daisuke isn't voicing Handa...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who misses OnoD's voice as Handa.
Jul 11, 2016 2:27 AM
Jul 2011
For me Barakamon was a boring snooz feast melodrama. Dropped it after one episode.

But this thing here is totally entertaining. Entirely different type of show.
Yes, they tried a little to hard to emulate Gintama in the first segment but it was OK-ish.
The second part was really really funny. Well, not ATOS funny, but breath of fresh air comparing to all the harems and MOE blob stuff.

I don't get the guys here saying "This is not funny. I am going to watch Barakamon again.".
But Barakamon is not a comedy! At least the anime version wasn't. How watching a tearjerker is funnier then genuine comedy?
Are they tolling us with their drama hog preferences or what?
Jul 11, 2016 4:01 AM

Feb 2015
That first half was pretty fucking awful.

I miss the original VA for Handa :(.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2016 4:23 AM

Dec 2012
LOL, why I expected something serious >.<. The first part was so random and it became quickly boring, fortunately the second part was better. I like how the teachers are afraid of Handa
Jul 11, 2016 6:58 AM

Sep 2013
humourous??? not quite, reuses gags seen elsewhere. Would have taken Barakamon 2 anytime over this, but still wishing it to be better in the coming episodes...
Jul 11, 2016 7:13 AM

Mar 2014
God, that first half was incredibly cringeworthy, I ended up skipping it after five minutes just because of how stupid it was

The second half was bland AF

I really miss Daisuke Ono, Nobunaga Shimazaki is OK as Handa but he's nowhere as good as OnoD

4/10 so far
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 11, 2016 11:38 AM

Mar 2013
really disappointed :/
NisxJul 12, 2016 2:44 AM
Jul 11, 2016 12:18 PM

Jun 2009
I didn't liek the first part and ended up skipping some parts. The second part was okay though I did laugh hard when Handa began writing his answer with ink instead of chalk. xD I hope Kawafuji will show up at some point since I did like their friendship in Barakamon.
Jul 11, 2016 6:53 PM

Oct 2008
So Handa-kun is the prequel of Bakaramon! This is definitely a keeper! since I watched Bakaramon and was definitely thumbs-up to it!
OP & ED were great also!
5/5.

Jul 12, 2016 1:44 AM

Jul 2013
It was a lot of fun to watch even if the comedy didn't hit all the times.

Still, it kinda makes me sad this is just using Barakamon and Handa's name to sell when the series all entirely different. All the emotional charm of the series is lost and this seems like it won't be much more than a highschool comedy.
Jul 12, 2016 4:57 AM

Jan 2014
Gonna be my fav this season. Period.
Jul 12, 2016 8:59 AM

Feb 2010
Pretty weird in first few minutes lol, hope they didn't continue that joke
but after Handa appeared ,he became my favorite boy in this season... so adorable!. Hope this got better like the manga, the manga is pretty hilarious.

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jul 12, 2016 12:13 PM

Jul 2009
That 1st part of "Handa" force was unnecessary...the other half about the love confessions letters was great!
Jul 12, 2016 2:59 PM
Feb 2012
To be completely honest, 10 minutes into the show I was considering dropping it. Those four guys opening the shows were just that obnoxious.
Fortunately, I didn't go through with it and was rewarded with a number of good laughs.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jul 12, 2016 3:49 PM

Nov 2015
That was funny! Handa's fans making an anime for him was hilarious. OP and ED are cool.

Jul 12, 2016 8:59 PM

Mar 2014
The first 9 minutes was a complete waste of time.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 13, 2016 1:44 AM

Mar 2014
This looks like it could be an actually funny Sakamoto.
Jul 13, 2016 9:26 AM

Apr 2014
the beginning with the 4 guys really didnt like it

but the handa part when the series really starts it was nice so as long as its less of those 4 guys and more handa and his life this will be a nice watch

but this first ep yeah it was ok because the amount of those 4 guys was just to much and not enough handa

anyway really hoping after is over we can get a Barakamon S2
"one step at a time"
Jul 13, 2016 9:54 AM
Aug 2012
Ehm, that was definitely.. an episode of Handa-kun..

I get that it's trying to be funny, but I find the "dilemma" with whole confession thing more frustrating than funny.
Jul 13, 2016 11:04 AM
May 2016
The show is really amusing and I am looking forward to new episodes :)
Handa is very cute with his dense personality but I wonder if he could make any friends...
Jul 13, 2016 4:38 PM

Jun 2012
That was pretty bad, guess I was expecting too much after watching the masterpiece that is Barakamon.
Jul 13, 2016 4:45 PM

Aug 2013
Personally, I thought most of the jokes were awkwardly executed.
Jul 14, 2016 2:01 AM

Apr 2013
The breaking of the 4th wall was interestingly done. Decent OP and ED. Art style is okay, weird at times. For me, this show is easily overshadowed by Saiki Kusou airing in the same season.
Jul 14, 2016 2:20 AM

Jun 2013
The first episode was okay. I'm liking the OP a little, not much. I hope Handa-kun improves. The first half with four of Handa's fans was really cringe-worthy. Super forced comedy and made me roll my eyes. Second half was okay, nothing special.

I haven't read the Barakamon manga and I'm sure it's much better than the Anime, it always is. I don't know if I'm ever going to read it though since I'd rather take a class in calligraphy than read a manga about it. I might change my mind, who knows. Who cares about my two cents anyways. I'm going to be in the minority here and have some butthurt fans who have highly rated Barakamon attacking me and calling me all sorts of names for not agreeing with the obvious popular opinion. I love slice-of-life series that are comedic but there were episodes in Barakamon that were painfully mundane and I couldn't understand any of the comments that said it was hilarious. Different folks, different strokes.
臭い-
Jul 14, 2016 8:25 PM

Apr 2016
This episode was fabulous!! The nature of Handa-kun was brought out so well, I give it a 10/10!!

LOL, it was nice to see our Handa Gang break the fourth wall; they actually complained about not being in the anime. :P Their own anime creation was SUPER cute. <3

The images in the opening theme song can be misleading, but they were ridiculously funny, and again, displayed the nature of the characters perfectly!

LOL at the misunderstandings that took place just from one confession.... That was a nice cliff-hanger on episode 1. Even our Handa Gang is looking forward to more. :)

VERY HAPPY that Kenichi Suzumura sings the ending theme song!! I could hear Masa from UtaPri in it... ^^

LOL at Handa's reaction to that song Nise-kun wrote the lyrics too... :P Lot of character and joy watching this <33

I was very satisfied :)
Jul 15, 2016 1:03 PM

Apr 2016
I'm really starting to like these types of comedy anime.
First Sakamoto, then Saiki, and now Handa.
:)
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
~Einstein
(~.~)

Jul 15, 2016 11:23 PM

Mar 2009
I... didn't find this funny at all? I cringed so bad all throughout the episode.
Where is my Barakamon charm?
Jul 16, 2016 7:49 AM

Oct 2010
I skimmed this thread and found the response to the humor interestingly divided between extremes. Here's a Rotten Tomatoes style quote collection from Barakamon fans:

RediceRyan said:
Nothing like Barakamon, it's set in some alternate universe.

Ryuugamono said:
A Barakamon spin-off just spin-offed everything that was Barakamon.

Grimmbae said:
I need to go and re-watch Barakamon to get this garbage out of my head.

striderzz said:
...barakamon level comedy is missing...

orchidork said:
it also seems like this handa is a complete downgrade from barakamon's handa.

Fried-Rice said:
...this is kinda a disgrace to Barakamon. Why not just let Barakamon end with Barakamon

Soul-Master said:
Still, it kinda makes me sad this is just using Barakamon and Handa's name to sell when the series all entirely different.

straggy said:
Literally the only connection this has with Barakamon is calligraphy too so why didn't they just take this bad comedy and pump it into something original to avoid the comparison to something so much better?

Fruitpie said:
I guess, the ones who moaning about Barakamon actually never read it. Because it's nothing like the anime. Barakamon manga is funny and makes fun of Handa. In the anime they cut like 80% of jokes and put moralisation in every corner. So it's not because the prequel is too different, but because studios have a different view on things.

Spade said:
I remember when I started the Manga and expected something related to Barakamon... it was so weird. But ultimately, I like Handa-kun more. And the first episode makes me excited to see more of the adaption.

I started watching Barakamon last year and am currently 2/3 through it.* I think it's a great show, I've recommended it to friends. But I laughed at this a lot more than the smarter comedy in any Barakamon episode so far. Maybe it's just that I haven't seen large amounts of comedy anime already, and am therefore easier to please? Guess I should prioritize giving Gintama another chance, I got four episodes in last year and was barely amused.

*I was unsubscribed from Funimation for a long time and was like nah, rather than pirating the rest, it's a good show that I can wait to however insignificantly "support" by watching as a subscriber
Jul 16, 2016 8:46 AM

Oct 2013
nDroae said:
I skimmed this thread and found the response to the humor interestingly divided between extremes. Here's a Rotten Tomatoes style quote collection from Barakamon fans:

The comedy wasn't what made Barakamon so great
Jul 16, 2016 8:53 AM

Oct 2010
Fried-Rice said:

Yep, that's why I said "I think [Barakamon is] a great show, I've recommended it to friends" even though I don't even think of it as a comedy. Which is apparently because, as Fruitpie said, "In the anime they cut like 80% of jokes and put moralisation in every corner."

Anyway, for fans of the Barakamon anime, this season has Sweetness and Lightning :)
Jul 16, 2016 10:25 PM

Jun 2013
Yeah, this looks like it'll be polarzing, lol. Misunderstanding-kun just isn't doing it for me. But to those who thought it was funny, go for it!

Fried-Rice said:

Rather, I'd say comedy is one of many things that made Barakamon so great. For anyone wondering about Barakmon's comedy chops, may I direct you to Episode 3.

(You'll never guess where my forum avatar came from.)
Jul 17, 2016 7:21 AM

Jun 2016
Definitely wasn't expecting anything like this. It's unusual, but not very funny and hardly had any of the charm Barakamon had. Will evaluate the next episode before dropping..
Jul 17, 2016 10:04 PM

Jun 2013
Like most people here,
I also did not like the first half a lot.
However, it may be dumb but what bummed me out the most was that Ono Daisuke did not voice Seishuu.
Don't get me wrong, I love Nobunaga Shimazaki, but Ono Daisuke is Sei for me.
Does someone know why he didn't voice Sei?
Anyway, I'll stay tuned and keep watching since it wasn't too bad.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2016

94 by Destroyer31 »»
Mar 15, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2016

63 by Wonderlust_Arte »»
Feb 13, 4:08 AM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2016

106 by RGreatDanton »»
Nov 22, 2023 10:13 PM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2016

46 by RGreatDanton »»
Nov 22, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2016

88 by RGreatDanton »»
Nov 19, 2023 9:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.